Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

UPDATE: secret santa 5th year thank you's and games, # 2

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

the other thread is full, so here's a brand new one for us all to use...

Comments (150)

• dirtdaddy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks to Poisondartfrog for the waterig can card and the Tagetes patula and and cucumis dipsaceus. A couple more nice addittions to next years gardens! dd

• keiki
    11 years ago

I received 3 wonderful cards!

Thank you Michelle - micyrey for the lovely hand made card as well as the candy tuft umbellata and calendula pacific beauty! You did a wonderful job on the card, I really like it. I am excited about the flowers, something new to me is always fun. I have yet to google them :) Thanks again.

Thank you poisondartfrog - Alana for the asclepias physocarpa! I really wanted this and was so excited when I saw it I exclamed loudly to my hubby "I got hairy balls" It was fun for both of us.

Thank you Onedaylily - Margie for the bounty of flowers! I received amaranthus Intense purple, nigella miss Jekyll blue, snapdragon black prince and red russian kale. I noticed someone else receive that amaranthus and drooled so I was very excited to see it in my envelope. The kale will be going in the ground next week as here in S.Florida it is time for our veggies. I know little about the other two flowers but am thrilled to have something new to try. Thanks again.

dem pa nice job on the gourds!

Socialgardengal I live in south Florida with similar growing conditions and start many things like veggies and winter annuals in October and November and repeat again in Feb for a longer harvest. Email me after the holidays and I will try to help you out

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I got 2 cards yesterday and the 1st card is from Jeffrey and he sent me a wonderful card and a pack of seeds but i cant read the name on them.

The other wonderful card came from ginger and she gave me some great seeds, 4 o'clock custard and cream, feverfew, and 4 o'clock pink.
    Thank you so so much
    Lisa lysa39

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I finally had to google hair balls! What a cool looking plant! It said it has some medicinal properties. I'll have to google that later. 81 degrees here and I want to get my English peas planted. I'm trying to plant by the moon for the first time and see what happens.
    Today I got three cards.
    A beautiful cat card from roper2008 with alot of nice seeds in it. Violet asarina a large flowring vine I can hardly wait to grow!, white borage, I've been craving that one!, The big early hybrid tomato-more googling, scarchuks supreme winter squash that is vine bore resistant-yeah!,Helios radishes, Tommy toe tomato, Yes! They never make it out of the garden-we tend toe at the small tomatoes outside, orange sun bell pepper-wow! I was just admiring orange peppers at the store!. and Martino's roma tomatoes- I really apprciate that one! We are eating lots of romas now that are store bought.
    A cute kitten card form sandysoil2008 with thyme, chives, I just used chives for the first time in garlic potatoes, zinnia cut and come again, an old favorite! I used to sell these flowers when I worked in a garden center in Pa back in the 80's, and mixed snapdragons, another old favorite of mine.
    jaynine sent a cute Santa card with snapdragon-Ruby, tht sounds pretty, zinnias- Giant wine, I can't wait to grow that one! and Comfrey. Thanks so much! I've been reading about that being edible. Thanks so much to everyone for brightening my day and bringing me joy!!

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

Thank you keiki, I definently will email you in a few weeks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I got 2 cards yesterday and the 1st card is from Jeffrey and he sent me a wonderful card and a pack of seeds but i cant read the name on them.

The other wonderful card came from ginger and she gave me some great seeds, 4 o'clock custard and cream, feverfew, and 4 o'clock pink.
    Thank you so so much
    Lisa lysa39

• jimryder
    11 years ago

I recieved cards from pumkingal and farmergirl2009 today. Thank you both very much!
    Tonya
    :)

• jimryder
    11 years ago

I recieved cards from pumkingal and farmergirl2009 today. Thank you both very much!
    Tonya

• Melinda Hagen
    11 years ago

A big thank you to Iris/ rane-grow! Lovely card and many seeds! Vorlon and dark chocolate stripe tomatoes. Black pearl, banana, and quadrato d'asti rosso peppers. Also 2 columbines and cosmos! Thank you so much! Love them all!

Jen/Jlee60 send me calendula, mahoghany midget coreopsis, columbine, and hardy hibiscus! I love them all! Thanks!

Jaynine sent me heliotrope, cranberries cosmos, and foxy digitalis! Thanks! Will love these also!

Lisa/pumkingal sent me foxglove, coreopsis, cosmos, ornamental pepper, and columbine! Thank you so much!

I am thrilled with all the lovely cards and seeds! I can't wait for spring to see all these lovelies blooming and growing!

• chefconnie
    11 years ago

This is such an amazing exchange, my family just can't get over the amount of seeds you all have blessed me with.

Today I will thank:
    Suzanne (Hibiscusfan) She send Lettuce- Grand rapids and Meselun lettuce.

It was a lettuce kind of mail day! I love it. The snowman card is great too!!
    Faye (nottougly) sent a cut candy cane card and Nasturtium Jewel and Zucchini verde chiaro d'utakua

Ginger (ggwrn) sent a lovely card with thyme, summer savory, lettuce all the year round, simpson elite lettuce.

Thank you all so much, Merry Christmas!!

Connie

• detroitgirl77
    11 years ago

I received a card from jaynine today with homemade pickles cucumber, pink brandywine tomato and horehound. Thank you!

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

Great Big Thank you's go out to jaynine & Neohippie!!

jaynine sent sunflowers,blue sweetpeas and black cherry tomato, YUM!

Neohippie sent boothby's blonde cucumber, emerald giant bell pepper, Ms. Burns lemon basil and lemon, drop hot pepper!
    Thank you very much! My new garden is going to be sooooo friggen' Awesome with all these beautiful flowers and wonderful edibles generous people have sent!!!

I'm getting excited to start winter sowing soon,plus I need my space back,lol, I have jugs stored anywhere they could fit.
    A very Merry Christmas to you both!

• katkni
    11 years ago

The cards never stop!!

sji1981, I love the beautiful snowflake card, with dahlia & silberian blue carnations. What a beautiful color those carations will be!

Ellie, thank you for the cute card, with angels & a manger scene. I'm really excited for the porcupine calendula, because I'm pretty sure I don't have that variety yet. And I definitely needed the lupine seeds. Time to start winter sowing!

Nottoughly, your card is beautiful, thank you, I love watercolors. I just got a trellis and have plenty of room for hyacinth bean vines. My motto next year is more vertical.

rane_grow, I love all the blues on the snowman card :) Thanks for the ground cherries, and the Vorlon tomatoes. It sounds like it's supposed to be pretty tasty.

• redthreaddiy
    11 years ago

Ellie (farmergirl2009) sent Snake Gourds, Speckled Swan Gourds, and Euphorbia 'Summer Icicle'. Thank you so much! I have never tried snake gourds before but they look freakin' awesome! I killed the only Euphoribia plant I had by transplanting it (it was NOT happy and died.) so I'm very happy to have a new euphorbia! Love everything! Thank you so much! I am totally going to paint my snake gourds when I harvest them next year. So cute!

Jaynine - THANK YOU SO MUCH for the gladiolus bulbs!!! OMG! I was in shock when I opened up the package! These will definitely be planted at my new bulb farm in the spring. Thank you so so so much! Look at how GORGEOUS these are! Thank you so much!!!
    {{gwi:1317567}}

• jaynine
    11 years ago

I really love reading about everyone's cards & seeds...makes my day.
    Katie-'Boone' is my favorite gladiolus: they're perennial, they multiply quickly, they aren't so heavy that they fall over AND they're beautiful.
    Linda-the Petunia is P. violacea~a fragrant, small-flowered species. Enjoy!

• sji1981
    11 years ago

Plant one on me - sent me pretty snowflakes card with Roma tomato with Yard long pole beans. 2-3 beans were crushed but rest looks ok. I love Roma tomato and pole beans and would definitely grow them. Thank you so much.

rane_grow sent me snowman card with pepper red bell and vorlon tomatoes. Can't wait to try them. Thank you so much.

pumpkingal, sent me nice winter scene christmas card with eggplant, celosia, xmas tree (not sure can't read the label) and love lies bleeding. Love celosia and eggplant and can't wait to try them. Thanks a lot.

jaynine sent me pretty berry card with seven top turnip, sweet peas, purple peony poppy. Love peony poppies. Thank you so much.

• l1oness
    11 years ago

I received a pretty card with red cabbage seeds (super excited!), black cherry tomato seeds (yay!), and cosmos - cranberries (the pictures look fantastic!) today. Thank you very much Jammi/Jaynine!

Mandy

• cryptid
    11 years ago

Ugh! Lousy weather! Most of yesterday it rained, then last night and this morning it really rained. Now, it's snowing like the dickens and it's supposed to keep on snowing for at least a couple more days and nights. Rat burgers! When I was a kid, I loved it, whereas anymore, so far as I'm concerned, all it does is foul-up the roads, block our satelite TV reception, and it makes everything all slippery-slidey-dangerous to walk on. Phooey and double phooey! I want it to just stop and get cloudy so things can dry out for a while. --Stepping down off of soapbox--

-----

On a much brighter note,...

I've been graced with two more cards today!

From Iris (rane_grow): A really cute snowman card (with fun, sparkly snowman stickers on the envelope) and an extreme generous amount of "Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch Kale" seeds! "Nutritious, tender, and crunchy, the plume-like leaves of Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch are finely curled and an attractive bluish-green color. This hardy variety maintains color well, and is slow to bolt. Dwarf plants grow up to 15" tall but can spread up to 30" wide." Never even knew this variety existed! How kewl! Really looking forward to growing it! Big ol' "Thanks!", Iris! :)

From Janine (jaynine): A lovely, old fashioned type card depicting a watercolor snow-scene of people out-n-about, admiring a lit downtown Christmas tree (nice job with the snowflake envelope embellishments as well). The seeds she included are as follows: Lime Basil (never tried this one, definitely looking forward to it) / Irish Poet Tassel Flower - "This annual has long stems and small, bright orange flowers in clusters. These flowers have once been described as the windswept hair of an Irish poet." These will definitely be a welcome addition to our flower beds (particularly appealing to my "County Cork" Hurley side of our family)! / Kale, Nero di Toscana "Also known as Black Palm. A cross between cabbage and kale, it is extremely winter hardy, becoming very sweet and full of flavor after a freeze. Popular in Tuscany and central Italy where it is used in soups and stews." Ooooo! Yet another new variety to play with! - Janine, thank you sooooooo much! :)

• audrey_gw
    11 years ago

Today, I received a cute chickadee card with some exceptional seeds from Janine (jaynine): salpiglossis Black Trumpets, geranium palmatum, and alcea rosea Halo Blush. Many thanks, Janine! Also, Suzanne (hibiscusfan) sent me a charming snowman card with gerbera seeds. I was thrilled to discover they were nice plump ones, since so many gerbera seeds I receive in trades are too wispy to be viable. Many thanks to you too, Suzanne!

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

More beautiful cards and seeds today from the following gardeners!!

Katkni- Kathy
    lovely hand made card!
    nottougly- Faye
    jaynine- Janine

You ladies are ALL so generous,thank you so much!!
    Cindy

• SalsaCanner
    11 years ago

Received 6 Christmas Cards in the last few days. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Lisa, Pumpkingal, sent a nice assortment of different color cleomes. We have a great place to plant these spider plants.

Chris, barefoogardener12, Sent Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot Peppers, great for salsa, Glamour Tomatoes and Dill.

Margarita10 sent Chocolate Cherry Tomato and Aunt Ruby's German Green Tomatoes. Have to try both of these and nice to have the history on the Aunt Ruby's tomato seeds.

Amanda, Neohippie, sent a nice Seasons Greeting card with a picture of a Hoary Bat on the cover, Lemon Drop Hot Peppers, Rattlesnake Pole Beans and Tall Telephone Peas.

Janine, jaynine, sent me Cilantro "Canbe" which I'll add to my salsa, Flat Italian Parsley and Kentucky Wonder Wax Pole Beans.

Iris, rane_grow, sent Barlow Jap Tomatoes and Vorlon Tomatoe seeds. I had to google the Vorlon tomato and found out it was named after a fictional alien race. Very Interesting!!

Thanks again to all, I'm having fun with the Santa Seed Swap.
    Merry Christmas
    Ed, SalsaCanner

• pseudacris_crucifer
    11 years ago

Neohippie:Thank you for the seeds of colorful veggies: Red Rommaine Ms Burns Lemon Basil, and Boothby's Blonde Cucumber.

jaynine: Thank you for the variety. I was really hoping someone would send nasturtiums. You sent not only nasturtiums, but also my favority squash (Galeaux d'Eysines) and marigolds.

• vajeff
    11 years ago

A gloomy afternoon and evening today. It's been raining for several hours, but at least it's warm. Did a bit of baking and then sat down to open some more fantastic cards.

A very merry thank you to:

Tonya (jimryder), for the agastache "Apricot Sprite", echinacea "Green Envy", and purple clematis seeds. The agastache is going to look great with my "Black Knight" buddleia and purple creeping lantana!

Janine (jaynine), for the lime and "Pistou" basils and the begonia. The "Pistou" basil will do great in my aerogarden, so I'm going to start that as soon as possible! I can't wait for the begonia. I read that it's perennial in this zone and produces little bulbils that can be propagated.

Margie (onedaylily), for the agastache "Pink Pop" (another color for my collection!),heuchera "Bressingham Hybrids", bugbane (will definitely give this a try), caryopteris, and thimbleweed. The last caryopteris I tried wouldn't germinate to save the world, so I'm very happy to have new seed to work with, and a generous amount at that. The thimbleweed looks very interesting and makes me think of a cross between a buttercup and a strawberry flower. I think it will do great in the semi shaded spots under either the pine or holly trees, or around the heavenly bamboo... or all of those spots!

Margo (smitties), for the dark opal basil. This one is going to make a surprising purple pesto and it's very ornamental too. I love it!

Thank you!
    Jeff

• WonderWeasel
    11 years ago

I received 3 cards today (and I thought I was about done!)

-Ellie (farmergirl2009) sent me a generous pouch of thornless blackberry seeds and a lovely card. Thanks, Ellie; I can't wait to start making jam!

-Iris (rane_grow) sent me a beautiful card and a bag of seeds that will become beautiful chocolate striped tomatoes. Thanks, Iris!

-Amanda (neohippie): I love the bat card. Where did get those? Also, thank you so much for the San Juan melons and the Ms. Burns Lemon basil. That should be a nice complement to the cinnamon and lime basil I grow.

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Received the cutest card with a snowman from rane-grow (Iris) and she had sent Rudbeckia Cappucino. I love snowmen and have quite a collection of snowman figurines. Thank you Iris. I think of all the rudbeckia's that I have planted through the years, only the Cappucino survived a winter.

Janine sent Yellow wax bells (this has been on my want list forever), dianthus 'King of the Blacks' and lemon verbena for tea.

Thank you ladies for the lovely cards and seeds. Don what beautiful gourds! The only thing I can paint is a wall thats all the same color. Oh well!

Ellie

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    11 years ago

Received some wonderful cards and seeds this week from:

Dem-pa - blanket flower, amaranthus, hibiscus, double white hollyhock, granny bonnet columbine, celosia, pink aster

Hibiscusfan - wonder of staffa, gailardia burgundy

Shirley - penstemon prairie dusk, nigella, texas hummingbird sage

Smitties - gailardia, feverfew

Sandysoil - agastache, lupine purple

Thank you all very much, I am so looking forward to planting these.... A very merry Christmas to all!

Lois in Pa

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Cold and blustery here today. We had a nice rain yesterday. Being from northern PA I understand the bad weather feelings. Stay safe! Finally getting our little Christmas tree decorated. It always makes the house feel warm and cozy when it's all decorated. I never knew how many different plant varieties there are! So fascinating to read all the different seed gifts.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I received 2 beautiful cards yesterday.

Both were made in USA and both had Christmas wishes.

farmergirl2009/Ellie sent a pretty handmade card with Red Spider Zinnia and Red Red Rose Dianthus.
    ilovefarac/Melinda sent a beautiful Snowman card with Cactus mix, Enchantress, Violet Queen, and Scarlet Flame zinnias.
    I love zinnias and dianthus and look forward to seeing all of them blooming in my garden.
    Merry Christmas and thank you for sharing.

• flwrs4ever
    11 years ago

Bingo words are..........

Ornament
    YULE LOG
    PRESENTS

• dirtdaddy
    11 years ago

Many more thanks!

Neohippie! Thanks for the PEACE card and the Boothbys cucumber, AK travler tomatoe and the Rattlesnake pole beans! I will try to make them a good home in our garden also.

Another Santa card! Thanks Janine! for the Zinnnas, didnt have that one. Chocolate tomatoe and Fortex bean!

jas-il sends a Snowman- reindeer card and chives, pepper and Marigolds! Thanks very much!

ilovefarac sends sunflowers, YES, and sage and Zinnas! Thanks to all! dd.

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

GOT MAIL yesterday! Fun! Fun! Fun!

*Iris aka Rane-Grow sent Best Wishes and Christmas Greetings (cute snowman) with KBX Tomato, Ancho Grande Pepper,"Celebration In Pink" Cosmos.

Iris, a very Merry Christmas to you. Thank you so much!

I just love this Secret Santa Celebration. Every one is so happy, excited and appreciative. Giving is really what it is all about! Santa Kym....thanks for being the best Santa!!

Happy Friday to all! Merry Christmas!

Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    11 years ago

A beautiful card with pine limb and pinecone with snow on it came today from Kathy/katni.
    She sent lemon basil, epazote, fennel, and parsley! I am very pleased with these and definitely will use them! Thanks so very much !

• paulan70
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone.

I would like to thank Anne/Canyonwind for the the lovely Kellogg breakfast tomato and the verbena bonaries. Looking forward to trying them both.

And according to my records I am waiting to hear that 4 more of the cards that i sent out made it to the people they were surpose to.

Paula

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Two more cards today. I am amazed by how many cards I have gotten! Y'all have blown me away! A cute card from katkin with a cute little pine cone on it. I love pine cones! And several packs of seeds. African marigold red/orange, I can never have enough marigolds! I bring them inside for my vase on the kitchen windowsill. I love their tangy smell. Fennel, radishes, parsley I needed more parsley, I use it alot in soups that I make and purple snapdragons. Thanks!!
    A nice Happy Holidays card from smitties with thyme I use that in all of my soups and lovage. I've never grown Lovage but I've always wanted to! Thanks!!

• gardendad_2k10
    11 years ago

Oh my. More cards!

pumkingal sent a bear card with red bell peppers. Thank you Lisa!

nottougly sent a nice handmade card with Sweet Banana peppers, Pimiento Rojo Marconi Peppers, and Okra 'Hill Country Red'. Thank you very much!

Jaynine sent a nice winter scene card with Dark Opal Basil, Corkscrew Vine, and Nigella 'Midnight'. These are very unique seeds for me and I can't wait to grow them. I am especially excited about the corkscrew vine. Thank you Janine!

Neohippie (Amanda) sent a nice looking dove card with Feverfew for migraine headaches, Bell Pepper 'Emerald Giant', Rattlesnake Pole Beans, and Tomato 'Arkansas Traveler'. These are all new for me so I am very excited to sow them this spring. Thank you for all of the seeds! These sound great. I like giant anything so the Emerald Giant sounds really cool.

katkni sent a huge package filled with seeds, I couldn't believe my eyes. She sent a handmade card with Jalapenos, Sunflowers, Melon 'Fordhook Gem', Lemon Basil, Joe Pye Weed, Pink Forget Me Not, Aster, Love in a Mist, Kale 'Scotch Blue Curled', Kentucky Dreamer Bean, More Sunflowers, Shiso, Anise Hyssop, Lunaria, even more sunflowers, parsley, Tomato 'Beefsteak', Cucumber 'National Pickling', Zinnia 'Giants of California', and canna seeds. I will have to look up a lot of these but I am very excited to try new seeds. Thank you very much Kathy, what a wonderful and very generous person you are!

Wow I'm going to have to step up my game next year. You are all so generous!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need to catch up on my thank-yous. I received 3 cards yesterday but was too tired after battling the mail and a snowstorm to even open them. I ate dinner and went straight to bed, where I stayed until this morning. But, enough northern doom and gloom, let me tell you what I've received yesterday and today!

from yesterday...
    Janine/jaynine sent cranberry cosmos (that's a new one to me!), giant wine zinnias (another new one), and ruby-colored snapdragons. Hmmm, I believe these would make a great-looking large container, don't you?

Faye/nottougly sent sunflowers and coneflowers

Iris/rane_grow sent chocolate tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and a mix of morning glories

from today...
    Darrin/cryptid sent a keychain light (very helpful!), purple petra basil, picotee cosmos, naughty marietta marigolds, and atomic red carrots. He also sent a beautiful red butterfly his wife Elly crocheted. Darrin, this one is going into another quilt I'm working on. It's all about flowers, so I'm going to applique this butterfly onto one of the blocks. THANK YOU!

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL! YOU CONTINUE TO MAKE MY CHRISTMAS BRIGHT AND CHEERFUL!!!

Dan & Co.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Good Mailboxing day. Two more cards.

nottougly/Faye sent a glittery winter scene card with amaranthus Illumination and a much much wanted dianthus, Clusterhead Pink.
    jaynine/Janine sent a Santa and Sleigh winter scene card with Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflower, Gumdrop Candy Zinnia, and Candy Pink morning glory all from my want list.
    Wow, such pretty cards and great seeds. I can't wait to grow all of these.
    Thank you both so much and Merry Christmas to you and your families.

• paulan70
    11 years ago

Wow just checked the mail (I got the other card yesterday) and I recieved 2 more cards the first one from

ruth I love that card it is very pretty it is a little winter lake sceen. She sent me some double blue balloon flower yeah and some saluti dark red salvia and a sizzler salmon bicolor salvia. I can not wait to see these in bloom.

Jaynine/janine she sent a very pretty winter sceen card and she included some zinnia gumdrop candy never even heard of this one should be good and then 2 different kinds of petunias a merlin mix and wave mix. But too bad for me the machine sorter has smashed the poor little seeds too bad to where there is yellow (coated seeds)dust. And they were 2 of the petunias that I wanted. But it is the thought that counts.

Thank you so much to those who choose to share their seeds with me and with everyone else. I love to see the sharing spirit kept alive.

Paula

• jimryder
    11 years ago

Tonya

• Ruby_Dog
    11 years ago

I am overwhelmed to have received 3 more cards in the last two days. Santa's elves have been very busy and everyone is so generous!

Janine/Jaynine - sent a beautiful winter berry card with hand decorated envelope containing Asclepias tuberosa, Shirley Poppy 'Bridal Silk' (sound fabulous!) and Amish Paste tomato (I've Really wanted to try these).

Cindy/Alwaysagarden - sent a pointsettia card with Utah large celery and Michili Oriental Cabbage, 2 more from my wishlist that will be fun to try out!

Cheryl/Smokymist - sent the cutest snowman card - let it snow - and it has, though not sticking. Inside were 'Baby Corn' sweet corn and 'Red noodle' yard long beans, more from my wishlist.

Thanks to everyone, this has been great fun! Merry Christmas to all,

Betsy

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    11 years ago

More cards ! Its been cloudy, rainy, windy and very gloomy here but whats inside my mailbox every evening to greet me is like warm sunshine to the soul ! Thank you to:
    Amanda/Neohippie for Alyx Little Sun tomato seeds ( gotta look this one up ! Mrs Burns Lemon Basil ... love this one !Emerald Giant Bell pepper ! thank you to RuthZ for Jimmy Nardello pepper ... been wanting to grow this one bad !Parris Island Cos romaine lettuce and Italian Cameo basil ! love it ! thank you to Paula/Paulan70 for Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia ! I just love them and will be wintersowing these ! thank you Jamie/Momsgardens sent Black Beauty zucchini ( one of my top fave squash )Red whirligig zinnia, Vorlon tomato and sweet banana pepper, can't wait till spring ! Thank you also to Jim and Tanya ( jimryder ) who sent lovely packages of Sweet 100 cherry tomato( I grow this one every year ), dark maroon scabiosa, Boothby's blonde, Marketmore and white wonder cucumber,yum ! thank you Mandy / L1oness , she sent me Hahm's Gelbe tomato seeds ! have never grown this one , looking forward to trying a new tomato ! Thank you Margo / Smitties for the Ornamental Kale - very much want to start this from seed ! and Sweet Genovese Basil !
    Thank you Diana for the lovely lettuces -Buttercrunch, Bibb, Cherry tomato and dark green Zucchini ! Will have wonderful salads with these !And Thank you to Debby1 for the Smokey fennel and Daylily seeds ! I have had great luck with daylilies the past few years ! Can't wait to statt these !

this has been a wonderful few weeks, finding these wonderful cards and seeds in my mailbox is so much fun and makes the holidays extra special, I am enjoying seeing that the cards and seeds I have sent out are starting to reach their destination ! love it !!!

Merry Christmas to you all and especially Santa Kym ! without you we would not have this most wonderful swap !

Iris xoxox

• debby_1
    11 years ago

Little bit behind again. I'm on vacation this week, so you would think I would get caught up. Not happening. Got lots of cards, I appreciate each and every one. Here goes:

Farmergirl 2009 - Ellie sent a beautiful handmade card with white digitalis, mountains mix digitalis, red red rose dianthus, pink and white lupine, and red texas hummingbird sage. I can't wait to start these.

nottougly - Faye sent a bright candy cane card with french dwarf marigold, and allium, I just love these.

ggwrn - Ginger sent a county theme card with lots of glitter, which I'm wearing now with caramel heuchera, orange profusion zinnia, and lavender. I can smell the lavender throught the package. Love it.

rane-grow - Iris sent goldsturm rudbeckia, delicata squash and grandpa Charlie tomato. I am going to have a tomato trial this year and plant 1 or 2 of a bunch of different ones.

ilovefarac - Melina sent giant enchantress zinnia, state fair mix zinnia, crackerjack marigold, and vera lavender.

Cindy- alwaysagarden, thank you for the basil and the chinese lanterns. Did you have the red bed a few years back? It was wonderful.

Cryptid - Darrin - Thank Elly for the butterfly pin. It's beautiful. The handmand card is awsome, so is the key chain and your labels. I received green envy zinnia, cosmos, box car willie tomato and lemon drop marigold.

jaynine - Janine sent foxy digitalis, zinnia, and needlepoint candytuff mix. Thank you.

katkni - Kathy sent 3 different sunflowers, african marigold, joe pye weed, french dwarf marigold, larkspur, lemon basil, lunaria and state fair zinnia mix. Yea. I'm spending a fortune this year on bird seed. Next year I'm going to go all out on sunflowers.

nlb - Nancy sent velvet queen sunflower. I love this one.

jimryder - Jim & Tonya sent pink peony poppy, rose queen salvia, red cosmo, and lavender. Thank you.

Thank you everyone.

Debby

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

I received more cards yesterday and today. Thanks to all of you.

From jaynine I received a beautiful card and in it were cosmos "cranberries" and zinnia "Will Rodgers". Thank you.

rane-grow sent me a beautiful card and in it was Frances McWillman hosta, two packs of "Crystal" white columbine, Dwarf red California poppy, and Pink peony poppy. Thank you.

From poisondartfrog I received a beautiful card and dark red poppy and gold canna seeds. Thanks so much.

From nottougly I received a beautiful card and cosmos mix, and aster Chinese giant Princess. Thanks so much.

roper2008 sent me a polar bear card and it it were watermelon radish and Native aster seeds. Thanks so much.

Again thanks to all of you.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

Oh what fun the mail was. Yesterday I got a flyer--that's it, one flyer.
    Today was the Bucket Load! What fun!
    Thank you nottoughly for crazy daisy, astilbe mix and saffron seeds. The USPS had a real party with the envelope. One side of the envelope was blown out and half the saffron seeds were crushed and the other half trickled out in my hand. I saved them very carefully.
    rane_grow thanks for the dwarf red california poppy. Can't wait to see them grow and bloom! Yeah!

Heidi

• sjc48
    11 years ago

I am way behind on my "thank yous",so here goes:
    4 packs of cleome, different colors, from Lisa/punkingal, along with a pack of bleeding hearts seeds!! Thank you, Lisa!
    A cleome mix and blackeyed susans (really need these!) from Faye/nottoughly, many thanks, Faye!
    Nasturtiums, sweet pea "blue ripple", and garden sage-really need this!, from Ellie/farmergirl, thank you, Ellie!
    Janine, thank you for the sweet pea "black night", another one off the "to buy" list! also for the basil pistou and zinnias.
    Annie, the cleome "cherry queen" sounds just beautiful, also thanks for the sweet peas!
    I also received cleome, gomphrena-new to me-, zinnias, cosmos, marigolds and penstemon gulf coast colors, from Cindy/alwaysagarden-Thank you! I love penstemons!
    And one of you sent me zinnia profusion "cherry" ,but the cats sort of re-organized the packs for me, so I'm not sure who sent it, but I thank you anyway!
    Ladies, all the cards were really pretty. Ellie, how creative yours was - good job!
    Been up since five, had to wintersow before I went to work, so now I'm going to go collapse somewhere!
    Blessings on the day!
    Shirley!

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I got three great cards today

Thank you jannie jaymine for the caster beans, 4 o'clock, and the sage.

Thank you faye nottougly for the wonderful 4 o'clock, and the love in the puff vine.

Thank you farmergirl2009 ellie for the wonderful snake gourds, 2 kinds of gaillardia, and 4 o'clocks.

I loved all the cards and seeds
    Thanks again lisa

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Many thanks to:
    farmergirl2009/Ellie, who sent a very cute homemade gingerbread man card containing seeds for Pansy 'Rhine Gold' and Petunia 'Prism Sunshine'. Yellow's my favorite color.
    hibiscusfan/Suzanne for sending a beautiful 'potpourri' tree card (again, homemade-talented women!) with seeds of Thyme 'Magic Carpet'. I love thyme and use it as living mulch, as well as in cooking and for tea. I'm happy to add this variety to my collection.
    nottougly/Faye, who sent seeds for the beautiful Cosmos 'Antiquity' in a glittery, wintery card in watercolor. How pretty!
    I will grow and appreciate them all!

• jaynine
    11 years ago

I meant to add a note to Paula about the petunias...I'll send some more out to you, but in the meantime don't throw away the 'dust'. The seeds are still in there somewhere!

• domesticdiana
    11 years ago

I received 7 cards and seeds yesterday and today. Here are my thank yous!

Jaynine sent a pretty card with berries with frost on them along with lettuce tom thumb, spacemaster cucumber and english lavender. My raised beds are going to look and smell fantastic! Thank you very much. :)

Nancyb sent a colorful snowman card with mixed morning glories. Thank you! Horray for more morning glory!

Pumpkingal sent a gold embellished poinsettia card with yellow foxglove,bok choi, red poppy and a poppy mix. Thank you for the flowers and bok choi! I will definitely enjoy these!

Nottougly sent a beautiful watercolor card with giant noble spinach and carrot chartenay red core. Yummy! Thank you!

Rane_grow sent a cute snowman with a bluebird card along with dill, parris island cos lettuce and crenshaw melon. Yum, I can't wait. Thank you!

Ilovefarac sent a cute santa card with foxglove mix, MG george strait mix and pink banana squash. Man these are awesome. Thank you!

Katkni sent a nice canvas snowflake card with morning glory heavenly blue, lettuce simpsons curled, grand rapids lettuce, green yardlong pole beans, 3 pks of sunflower, african marigold mix, lemon verbana, lemon basil, anise hyssop, joe pye weed, two lobed larkspur, lunaria and epazote. Thank you very much and yes I will look for you come spring/summer time to trade. :)

• kchd
    11 years ago

I have some thank yous to catch up on:

Ginger (ggwrn) sent a sparkly card and seeds for Coronado hyssop and Profusion Firs Zinnia. Wow, these both look just awesome!

Ellie (farmergirl2009) sent the most darling homemade card with gingerbread men. You are one talented lady! She also sent seeds of Profusion cherry zinnia and Speckled Swan gourd. Looks fabulous!

Faye (nottoughly) sent a beautiful watercolor card and black-eyed susan seeds. Such cheery flowers :)

Nancy (NLB) sent a stained glass card and seeds of yellow coneflower. Love those.

Janine (jaynine) sent a snow scene card :) and seeds of Jazzy Mix zinnias, butterfly weed, and spotted beebalm - can't wait to see the monarda bloom!

Kathy (katkni) sent a very beautifully done homemade card and so many seeds for pollinators: sunflowers, two-lobed larkspur, lemon basil, lunaria, African marigold, white coneflower, joepyeweed, aster, anise hyssop, parsley, State Fair mix zinnia. My garden will be a-buzz with bees and butterflies next year! Wow!

And finally,
    Darrin (cryptid), Ellie and Roy sent a lovely homemade snowman card (my favorite!). Seeds sent were columbine, cherokee sunset rudbeckia, green envy zinnia, and dipper gourd! What lovelies! Elly crocheted a beautiful butterfly - what a talented lady!! Darrin also enclosed an LED keychain... seriously, I am out in the dark often in my work in the field with wildlife so this is fantastic! A light for my keychain - - I already carry a flashlight in my purse ;)

Truly, I am again overwhelmed by the generosity of GW-ers. Y'all are amazing!

So tomorrow my husband and I travel down to heaven on Earth (aka southern Louisiana) to spend the holidays with family and friends. I will be gone for a week, but will look forward to checking back in with the SSS 2012 threads upon my return.
    Until then, Merry Christmahannukwanzaa and Happy Winter Solstice!

Katie