Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
UPDATE: secret santa 5th year thank you's and games, # 2

Posted by dan_the_mailman Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 14:08

the other thread is full, so here's a brand new one for us all to use...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: secret santa 5th year thank you's and games, # 2

Zackey, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. When they're sick, you are too. There are a lot of us here who are owned by cats, and we can all relate. Hang in there though, they're tougher than most people realize! In the meantime, Bump, Stella, and Grumpy send their meows and purrs full of well wishes!
===========================================================

If I get offcourse, or start misspelling words, or just get a little strange, please forgive me. I took a couple of vicadin and tylenol PMs a little after noon, and I'm feeling the effects. But, I did want to post this before I go to sleep.

Kym, I managed 5 words off of the word scramble before giving up. You really put some toughies in there! Kudoes and hats off to any and all of you who get more than half of that done. I have 7 of the bingo words though, so I think I'm going to stick to that game...lol. Being told what to look for is a lot easier, don't you think?

I was just about to fall asleep when my doorbell rang today. One of the 4 cards I received today came postage due, so my mailman brought it all with him. And no, I'm not going to mention who the postage due was from, it's cool. Anyway, (I told you I might ramble a bit, right?) I have some thank yous to make, and wanted to do them before the kids/cats got involved. Grumpy did watch while I opened them all up though, little stinker!

RuthZ sent chocolate cherry sunflowers, parisienne carrots, and dancing petticoat cosmos (pictured).
Poisondartfrog (my favorite "druidess") sent strawflowers and wishes for a happy solstice. Right back atcha Alana!

Jamie sent dark pink verbena, tall marigolds, yellow zinnias, and noid strawflowers. (I used to wonder why so many seeds had "noid" in their names, wondered for more than a couple years in fact. Then I realized "noid" means "no i.d." Go figure.)

Don/dem_pa sent mixed celosia, grandpa ott's morning glories, blacktail mountain watermelon, spinach, granny's bonnet columbine, and golden goblin gaillardia.

Now I'm off to bed, and hopefully a bit of a nap. But, before I do that...

o

Santa has been to my house Saturday and today and I have lots of people to thank.

On Saturday, I recieved mortgage lifter tomato and burp less beauty cucumbers from Sheila, sandysoil_2008. Thank you sooo much Sheila!!!!
I also got yellow pear tomato, michihli Chinese cabbage, chocolate cherry tomato and pink caspian tomato from cris, barefootgardener12. Thank you so much Cris!!!!
Linda, clip lop, sent me hot wax peppers and red cayenne peppers. Thank you Linda!!!!!

Today Santa delivered me a huge package! Thank you to Debbie, thekens11, for the Kentucky wonder beans, early wonder beets, radish, and scarlet Nantes carrots! I can't wait to plant the carrots, radishes and beets in feb!!
Margarita10 sent me chocolate cherry tomato and Peruvian purple pepper. I'm going to have to look up that pepper, because I've never heard of it before. Thank you soooo much !
Ruthz sent me pink punch radish, rose heart watermelon radish, and Dutch beets baby doll. I've never heard of any of these, so I will be researching them and am very excited to try them. Thank you!!!!
Detroitgirll77, Michelle, sent me poblano pepper and homestead tomato. Her card did make it to me all together this time. Thank you sooo much Michelle!!!!
Lastly I got a huge bubble envie from don, dempa, loaded with goodies. Inside was veepick tomato, Brazilian starfish pepper, jelly bean tomato, pencil pod golden wax beans, blacktail mountain watermelon, de Ciccio broccoli, mayflower pole beans (so cool they came to the us on the mayflower!), black butter pea, rattlesnake pole bean and Bradley tomato. Thank you sooo much Don!!

Well time to to go research some of the awesome goodies I have received from everyone. I'm really getting excited for spring to get here! Thank you to everyone, I really do appreciate it!!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 15:17

Dan, please let me know if it was my card.
I would like to reimburse anyone that has to pay extra postage.
I took them to the post office expecting them to need more than 1 stamp, but the clerk weighed a few and said they were all fine.

o

Zachery

Just thought I would add a view on the number of cards recieved. I have been a part of this swap for a number of years. Now the first year I joined I got maybe a total of 5 cards and I felt very left out. But then I had to take a look at my wish list and it was basically ALOT of hard to find or not very usual seeds. So not alot of people had it to trade or to spare. Ok so compare to this year where this year was just crazy in seed collection to where I have used up most of seeds over the years from either sowing myself or trading or giving to my garden club seed sale.

So for whatever reason alot of my basic run of the mill seeds were used up and so they were added to my want list. For example I was not able to collect/save one single cosmo seed and those suckers usually make a A TON of seeds. And the same goes for things like verbena and petunia. And there have been years when I only had petunia and zinnia seeds to share so those who wanted those got tons of those seeds. It all eeb and flows.

So it is not like you are being ignored just what people have to share. And yeah I send out more cards then I recieve but I do this swap because I enjoy sharing with others. And yeah we all have bad days so it is understandable.

Paula

o

Thanks everyone for understanding. I don't usually blow up but when I do the old Irish and Scot in me takes over. Zackey (my cat) is fine now. He did scare the living daylights out of me tho. I tried to enter my GW name as Zackeysmom, but some how it showed up as Zackey, so I just kept it.
Paulan, I guess I do have a weird want list, but I think I tried to make it clear that I was game to anything.
So, now I am eating crow and toes. I got a nice package of seeds and a nice Christmas card from dempa. He sent me dark red Amaranthus, I''ve never grow these before, but I'm planting a flower hugel outside of my kitchen window, so they will be on the top of it. Mexican sunflowers,Yeah, ground cherry-physalis paulinosa, I've never grown these, definitely gotta google them, crookneck squash, Georgia collards-how appropriate!! Our chickens love to eat them as much as my hubby does. two packs of Bloomsdale spinach, I hope I can get this to grow, I love spinach. Cherry belle radish and a pack of Vates collards. Many thanks for all of the collards, from me and my 6 Rhode Island Reds. They miss their grass and weeds once we get a frost.
From poisondartfrog I got a nice holiday card and a pack of Ipomea x sloteri-apricot candy. I think that's a morning glory vine. I have just the trellis in need of it! Thanks!
From barefootgardener12 I got Matricacia recutita-German chamomile-thanks! I planted some this summer and it didn't come up. And cucumber minature white, another google! Thanks!
And last but not least, I got a nice Merry Christmas card from momgarden1 with lemon cucumber, oh, boy!, pumpkin pie pumpkin, Thanks! and heirloom crookneck squash. yeah! I have given all of mine away to a family in need. Thanks so much to everyone that sent me seeds. It really made my day.

o

Poisondartfrog sent me some reverse variegated airplane plant seeds! I have always had the green and normal variegated ones growing, but never the reverse variegated ones. I am so excited to see these little baby airplane plants pop up from seed! Thank you so much! I didn't even know that this existed! So cool!

Margarita10 sent Orange King Bell Pepper and Chocolate Cherry Tomato. I absolutely LOVE tomatoes and peppers and will be happy to grow these out! Any dark tomato is always a winner with me, so I am very excited for spring so I can plant these! Thank you!

o

hello
I got a few more today...
barefootgardener sent me parsley, and queenett basil

dempa sent me radish, amaranthus(I love these), cat nip.

dirtdaddy sent me parsley, tithonia, false indago, and radishes.

kimnkell sent me basil(lime and cinn) and cat nip

wow the cats are gonna love all the catnip, I dont think i can ever have too much, thanks everyone.
great cards and seeds

huggs zackey, we all have days where nothing goes right and the words come out all wrong.

michelle

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 17:45

I came home for lunch today to find 4 cards in the mailbox! This is just so great!
Jim and Tonya, thank you so much for the cleome mix, pink zinnias, chocolate joe pye weed (how cool!) and the buddleia-this will be a first for me! Loved the seed packets too!
Ruthz, thank you for the beautiful card and the zinnias, larkspurs, AND!! the lantana! I had no luck with this last year, thanks for the chance to try again!
Margo, this is so funny, after we had talked about the gaillardia, I did some research and found 5-6 kinds that I wanted to try; I can take three of them off the list, thanks to you! Also thanks for the nigella, chocolate joe pye weed and sweet basil!
And Don/dem-pa, while I really appreciate both the basils, the tithonia, the rue (mine is dying), and joe pye weed, I have to tell ya, your card made my day! It's a small, very simple, old fashioned looking card that took me back many years! Thank you!
Many thanks, everyone!
Shirley!

o

I received a nice card from margarita10 today with klondyke orange flare cosmos. Thank you very much. Cosmos are one of my favorite flowers. I have a whole bed with just cosmos and zinnias. This year most of them were still in full bloom when we had our first big frost, so I was not able to any seeds.
I mailed my cards/seeds today. The post office was packed! I'm glad I don't need to go back again before Christmas!

Ginger

o

Hello again! Zackey glad to see all is good, I had 4 cats but my children grew up and I made them take their pets with them. I want to be footloose and fancy free for a while :)

I received two cards today:
Cris (barefootgardner12) sent me leaf lettuce, very exciting, edible marigolds which I think will be awesome in a salad and german Chamomile. These things are right off my wish list :) The Holly card is beautiful!

I received a snowman card with children and it made me a little sad to think about those children not building snowmen ever again.

Ruth sent me Dutch beets, Monstrueux se viroflay spinach, and cilantro long standing. I am going to have to research all of these.....how exciting.

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas,

Connie

o

I received a card today from barefootgardner12 with german chamomile and miniature white cucumber. Thanks!

o

I just started doing the word scramble and figured out 11 14 of the 20. I'm determined to figure out the others. I actually figured out a few of the longer ones. Gonna be racking my brain big time, lol.

o

Katie, when I joined GW, I lived in south Plymouth, MA in the pine barrens. The soil was almost pure sand, deficient in nitrogen and held water like a sieve. Gardening was challenging even though I constantly amended the soil and watered constantly. So that's where the sandysoil name came from. Since then, I've moved closer to Boston and have "real" dirt to work with. Gardening is so much easier and my plants grow faster and bigger - I'm a happy gardener!
Sheila

This post was edited by sandysoil_2008 on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 21:39

o

Today I received a card from barefootgarner12, thank you for the German
Chamomile, never tried it before, and the marigold Red Gem, and Polar
Bear Zinnia. All new additions to my garden.

Thank you also to debby-1 for the marigold, fennel, and mammoth
sunflower seed. Haven't grown the mammoth in a long time, birds
love them.

Thank you Margarita for the cayenne seed. I love hot peppers.

o

Thank you to Alana for the cotton seeds. I love the flower on these.

Thanks to Ruthz for lantana, pampas, and 4 Oclocks. Love em.

and thanks to jimryder for maroon scabiosa, sweet 100 tomato, pampas grass, and lantana.

I am going to have such a lovely new garden next year.

Margo

o

Received 2 Awesome cards today!!

poisondartfrog sent Lighthouse purple Salvia & dem_pa sent dark red Amaranthus and moss rose

THANK YOU BOTH & MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

o

Today three cards arrived:
ishareflowers/Lisa sent a very cute skating Santa card with Spergularia rubra seeds inside. Thank you; you're right to think that I'd be interested in trying them. They'll be perfect for the difficult, very sandy area on one side of my house that I've been trying to 'beautify'.
ruthz shared seeds of Habanero 'Red Savina', Shallot 'Mirage' and Melampodium 'Million Gold' that came in very serene, beautiful card. I look forward to growing all of them. Thank you Ruth.
pseudacris_crucifer (love this name) sent a sweet Christmas Star card in which seeds of Rattlesnake Master, Tall & Downy Sunflowers and Pycnanthemum were enclosed. Thank you so much for your generosity...I appreciate it.
Merry Christmas!

o

hmmmmm got a text message today telling me that two more packages of seeds arrived for me today! I am so excited! I dont know who they are from yet, so when I get them after work I will come back on to give a proper thank you!

P.S. My apricot seed (Baree) from grdngramma is doing great! Thank you!

o

thanks Christopher/pseudacris_crucifer for the milkweed and coneflower. Nice to get a card on such a gray day as today was.
I also got 2 cards returned for additional postage. I hope none of the others I mailed were delivered postage due. The post office had weighed and stamped them so I don't understand how the clerk could make an error like that. I'm sorry if anyone got anything from me with postage due. I'd like to know I intend to ask the post office when I take them back to add the postage to them. Overall I have been very pleased with the participation in the santa swap. My wish list is almost completely filled and I hope everyone got something they were really wanting.

o

Three more thank yous from me today.

hibiscusfan, maybe the card you sent will help me with word scramble - I'll have to keep it close. Thank you for the ground cherries and the Lady Baltimore hibiscus. It looks like a beautiful variety!

smitties - Thank you for the card. I love love love botanical illustrations. And I can't wait to grow blackberry lilies next year. I've been planning my winter sowing strategy since June, and now I'm really ready.

Dem_pa, I remember how generous your card was last year, and you did it again. thank you for the cute card, and all these seeds: Lady Baltimore hibiscus, blackberry lily, hyacinth bean vine, ground cherry, mixed color hibiscus, and dark red amaranth. Your seeds packets are always well-labeled with lots of information and I really do appreciate that.

o

Sorry this is off subject but I don't know where to ask my question, so here goes.
I feel weird asking but I have NO frost date. When do I start planting all these beautiful flower seeds I have received??? So excited to get started!!
Thanks for any help :)

o

socalgardengal. You never get frosts? Wow! How cool that would be! It would depend on what flower seeds you have received. If your temperatures are always in at least the 70-80's in the day and say maybe upper 50's-60's at night I would think you could grow year-round. This is just my opinion. Why don't you ask your local agricultural center?

o

I'm not sure if Zackey is ok or not. He seems very tired. And a few other things I can't mention on here. He's only about 6 years old. Of course, being his "mom", I'm worried. I hope and pray he will be back to his bouncy, normal self tomorrow.

o

socal, have you tried the technique "wintersowing", if not take a look at the forum ...you may fall in love like the rest of us. You dont have frosts, you can start seeds anytime, but wintersowing may give you a good way to start your seeds .

gardendad, i havent heard from kimnkell, but I do know pumpkingal is having computer trouble.

REMINDER: please go to rate and review forum and post for those who have sent to you.

Smitties, thank you ! I am really sad, and disappointed..but it is nice to see someone knows what this swap means to me , and how much work I put in.

Dan, I am surprised you gave up, and you dont have to get them ALL !

detriotgirl, want a few clues or hints ?

o
bingo

Wrapping paper
scrooge
christmas cactus

o

I have several secret santas to thank today -
Ruthz for salvia turkistanica, larkspur and Rudbeckia Cappucino.
Don/dem-pa for red amaranthus, larkspur and matthiola bicornis.
momgardens1/jamie for queen red lime zinnia, Paulonia (foxglove tree), clarkia and cosmos sea shell.
Poisondartfrog/Alana for Tassel Flower 'Irish Poet'.
Thank you all for the cards and seeds, you made my day! Merry Christmas!

o

Kym, I got almost all of them figured out, but # 7 has stumped me. I would love a clue for that one. :)

o

Hello everyone! I am so behind in saying thank you to so many generous gardeners here so here goes ... Thank you to Cris/Barefootgardener for the yellow pear Chocolate Cherry and Black Brandywine tomato and the Grand Rapids lettuce ! tomatoes and lettuce - 2 of my fave veggies to grow ! thank you Michele/micyrey for the Snow Queen salvia and the Double Gold Rudbeckia - 2 of my fave flowers ! thank you Sheila / Sandysoil for the Marigolds, Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia and Balloon flowers ! love them !

And a hearfelt thank you also goes to Don/ Dem_Pa, as always he really went all out and sent so many of my favorites - siberian iris,Broccoli, Golden Goblin Gaillardia, Granny's Bonnet Columbine,Rue ( my butterflies will love this one esp )Blacktail Watermelon and Hutterite Soup Beans ( excited to try this for the first time ! Ed/ Salsacanner sent several from my wish list!! Black Cherry tomato, Black seeded Simpson lettuce, Natl Pickling cukes,Sweet basil, Oregano and Sweet Banana Peppers !

thank you to Shirley/SJC48 for Pansies ( really wanted these ) Coral Nymph Salvia and 2 kinds of Borage ( my bees love Borage )thank you Lauren / lekennedy4 for the Windowbox mini sweet basil ( a new kind of basil I can't wait to grow ), borage ( bees will be super happy ! )and Buckingham Zucchini ! And thank you to Grdngramma for 3 of my wish list items - Zucchini, banana pepper and sunflowers !!! love them ! thank you all so very much !Finding these treasures in my mailbox after a long day at work is wonderful !

Iris xoxox

o

I received two very cute cards today, with some lovely seeds. The porcupine card came from Margie (onedaylily) and contained caryopteris, dianthus Flashing Lights, and a blue and white JMG. The watering can one came from Alana (poisondartfrog) and included another JMG--Kanoko.

Thanks so much to both of you! The cards cheered me up immensely after the puppy yanked two of my houseplants out of the front window this morning and upended them. (One of the kittens was there too, but I'm not sure whether she was an accomplice or just an observer!) If anybody has any hints about keeping pets away from plants, I'd be happy to hear them.

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 22:04

I received a pile of cards today! I had no idea this swap would ever be this amazing!

Don (dempa) sent seeds of Sweet Sultan, Mexican Sunflowers, Am. persimmons, and Ironweed - love them all but especially excited about the persimmon and ironweed. I grew 50 persimmons from seed last year. Transplanted 40 of them in late spring to our land, and the horrible drought in June killed them all. Now I am starting over. Thank you, Don. Cute card, too!

Dear Alana (poisondartfrog) sent a beautiful botanical card and seeds of 2 species of Aristolochia. I have the perfect spot for A. serpentaria! And while I'm 'patiently' waiting for it to grow, A. fimbriata should give me my fix! Thank you so much for these special host plants! Happy Solstice!!

Chris (pseudacris_crucifer) sent a very cute bird card and seeds of 3 natives: red milkweed, short joepye weed, and white turtlehead. Thanks so much for the lovely natives! Really looking forward to the Eupatorium blooms!!

Tonya (jimrider) sent a cute snowman card and seeds in some of the loveliest envelopes. She sent blackeyed susan, pink zinnia, and two different tomato varieties. Thank you so much!

Ruth (ruthz) sent a beautiful National Wildlife Federation (one of my favorite conservation organizations!) card depicting a peaceful winter scene and some lovely seeds: rudbeckia Cappucino and Denver Daisy, and a most sought after leadplant. Can't wait so see that beauty bloom! Thanks so much for the beautiful natives.

And sweet Margo sent 3 different Echinaceas seeds. Coneflowers are such happy, cheerful flowers, and I lost 2 of mine this past year. Loved the holly card, Margo. Native Ilex is one of my favorite genera, and botanical cards are just beautiful to me.

Thank you all so much! I am overwhelmed by the generosity of folks, and your thoughtfulness towards my love of natives.

And thank you for the friendly reminders to post in the Rate & Review forum!! I need to go do that.

Katie

o

Thank you for the info zackey and flwrs. I live in San Diego,Ca and it gets in the low 40's a few times in late winter at night and high 50's in the daytime once in awhile. Other then that it's in the 60's-70's.
I've read all about winter sowing and love the concept. I have all of my jugs ready to go. I think I'll start mine after the holidays.

o

I would like to thank onedaylily (Margie) for the beautiful NOEL card. Much to be thankful for this year! She sent Agastache 'Golden Jubilee', Eryngium gigantum "Miss Wilmott's Ghost', Anemone x hybrida 'September charm' and Astrantia 'Venice'. Thank you so very much Margie.

Ellie

o

Woot-woot, hooray-hooray! Received another card, today! - From Margie (onedaylily),...a wonderful, colorful, "Joyful" Amaryllis card, with "Thai Yellow" chili pepper (hot, but not flaming eyesockets hot,...LOL), "doronicum - Leopard's Bane" (lovely yellow flowers) and "Anemone virginiana - Tall Thimbleweed" (nice white flowers,...not for shady spots, though). - Thanks bunches, Margie! Wishing you a very merry, blessed Christmas and prosperous, happy new year! :)

o

I am behind on my thank yous! Here we go!

SJC48 sent a pretty Seasons Greetings card with rocket larkspur, cilantro, stevia and sweet corn. Thank you! I will make room for them all in my garden in 2013!

lekennedy4 sent a pretty gold embellished card with holly on it and spinach matador, lambs lettuce and lettuce leaf basil. Yummy yummy. Thank you for the future salads!

grdngramma sent a cute Noel card with poppy seeds. I can't wait! Thank you for the flowers! :)

SalsaCanner sent me a beautiful Rejoice card with cilantro, oregano and black seeded simpson lettuce. Hooray for more salad and some salsa!

kchd sent a Winter Greetings card with trumpet creeper vine and Carolina jessamine. My garden is going to look so colorful! Thank you! :)

Heidi in Nebraska sent me a cute, homemade plaid card with Secret Santa Swap on it. (Is the design made by a machine? Very pretty!) She sent a ton of morning glories and trumpet vine! Thank goodness these are climbers so I can utilize the UP space and fill my garden with all these flowers! :)

Paula sent me a nice card with poinsettias on it along with grand rapids lettuce and baby pok choi. Thank you especially for the baby pok choi! I had been really wanting it. And of course for the lettuce, I DO enjoy a nice salad!

micyrey/Michelle sent me a blinged out (i.e. glitter!) card that says Deck The Halls and a Christmas tree. She sent me poppy red corn and poppy pink shirley. Oh man! What did I do to deserve this?! I am a happy camper right now!

smitties sent me a very nice card with an image of American Holly on it. I like the "scientific" illustration look of it! She sent me TONS of Lettuce Rossa AND they're authentic Italian seed. My salads are going to be very colorful in 2013 as is my garden!

Fellow Texan, Oceandweller sent along a shiny red card with gold snowflakes and American Holly, sunflower, red yard long bean, Meyer lemon, Texas black broom corn, lumnia pumpkin and a good amount of Jarradale pumpkin. I will find the space for all of this, I promise!

ruthz sent me a goregous card with two children building a snowman and inside, it had larkspur, cilantro and spinach. Goody goody, more yummy and pretty goodness!

And lastly, dem-pa sent me a cute card with a red candle inside a gold lantern with a red bow on top of it annnnd: bok choy, orange tendersweet watermelon (THANK YOU! I HAVE BEEN REALLY WANTING THIS!), grandpa ott morning glory, foxglove, black morning glory, larkspur, spinach, a yellow eye bush bean, Mayflower pole beans (ooh! These are very interesting indeed!) and hutterite soup bean!

So many goodies from you all! Thank you so very much! I am really really appreciative towards you all that sent me cards and seeds. So much so, that you are all free to choose one thing off of my trade list (if you would like) and I will mail it out to you.

I will also get around to writing positive reviews for you all! If your GW username isn't mention in this post, please email it to me so that I mat leave you a nice review. :)

o
Thank You Poisondartfrog

I want to express my appreciation to Poisondartfrog for sending my a nice packet of Sweet Alyssum.

OT: You really know how do packeting. I had to rip the envelope open to get to the seeds. Must have taken me at least 5 minutes to get to the seeds. The next time I move, I want you to help me with the packing. lol!

o

I received one card today, from barefootgardener (Cris). Thanks for the orange bell peppers! They'll look pretty stuffed next year :)

--Jordan (WonderWeasel)

o

Look at all the thank yous! I love starting out my day reading them, it always puts a positive spin on the day. I've got a thank you to express, but it isn't about cards or seeds. Liz (not sure what her GW name is) read in my posts that I took vicadin AND tylenol PMs yesterday and wrote an e-mail because she was concerned that I might be taking too much tylenol (vicadin contains some too). I'm okay with the amount I took, but I sure do appreciate her looking out for me! Thanks Liz, you rock!

Dan

p.s. Ruth, yours was just fine.

o

Want to send more thank you's.
Donald/dem_pa sent me mexican sunflower,balsam, gaillardia,
golden goblin gaillardia, masquerade ornamental pepper, and columbine! Love them all!
Margarita10 sent me 2 types of columbine! Yeah!
Thank you both so much!
My cards are starting to go out, so keep mailboxing everyone!
Can't do as many as used to do but sending several so hope some are coming your way!

o

Two more goodies! Paula (paulan) sent me zinnia mix and Cherry Brandy rudbeckia, Thank you! Margie (onedaylily) sent pink lupine, dwarf Zebra grass and rudbeckia Marmalade. Thank you! All on my wish list!

o

Kchd,

I also received persimmon seeds, but have never grown them out. Other than avoiding drought years (as if we could), do you have any recommendations on growing the seeds?

PS

o

Dem_pa: thank you for all the seeds. I especially appreciate the persimmon. That is a species I have wanted to grow, but not many folks have seeds for it. The blackmail mountain watermelon and pencil pod golden wax stringless beans look yummy. And I will have to look up banana legs tomato. What a great name!

Sandysoil_2008: thank you for the lance leaf coreopsis. Thisis oneofmy favorite natives, in part because it is so easy to grow. I enjoy marigolds for much the same reason. With a garden the size of mine, the plants needs to be able to take care of themselves somewhat. I love irises, but I had no idea you can grow them from seed. It will be an adventure. Thanks!

o

SEEDS!

Pseudacris-crucifer, thanks for the compass plant and the sultans crescent pole bean. Cant wait to plant them.

Barefootgardener12 sent yellowpear tomatoe, chocalate cherry tomatoe, pink caspian and red gem marigolds. thanks!

margarita 10 sentchocalate cherry tomatoe and peruvian purple pepper! thanks!

thanks, dd.

o

Hi folks! Been busy and haven't had a chance to do thank yous until now, so I'm catching up.

Thank you to...

Dirt daddy for the various tomatoes and the basil,

Margarita 10 for the Aunt Ruby's German Green tomato seeds,

barefootgardener12 for the Eva Purple Ball and Moon & Stars watermelon,

grdngramme for the purple tomatillos,

I1oness for more Aunt Ruby's German Green...

And thanks everyone for all the lovely cards! They're looking great on my mantle!

I sent out my seeds a little late, so hope they reach their destinations soon.

o

More thanks!

jimryger sent Dr. Whches tomatoe, gold medal tomatoe,rutgers tomatoe and nyagous tomatoe!

momgardens1 sent german johnson tomatoe, golden jubilee tomatoe, yellow marigolds and mixed marigolds! thanks to all, dd.

o

Today I'm sending out Thank You's to 2 people.

Annie/canyonwind sent 2 types of tomato seeds
and
Jim/jimryder sent purple clematis, cosmic orange cosmos, cinnamon basil, and green envy zinnias.

THANK YOU BOTH!!!

Last night I informed my younger sister that I'm going to be using her yard to plant vegetables and flowers, and would you believe she was okay with that? Lol, of course, she'll be eating some of the veggies, and we'll be giving more to our parents to enjoy, and I do believe I'll sneak over to my parents' house and plant some flowers over there for them to enjoy too. You all have blessed me with an abundance of vegetable and flower seeds, so yes, I'm going to be paying it forward to make sure even more people enjoy these wonderful seeds I've been receiving these past few weeks. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it...
THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR YOUR KINDNESS!!!

Dan

o

I just have to say a big ... WOW WEE!! I can't believe cards and seeds are still being sent my way, you guys are so very very kind!
Tons of awesome seeds and lovely cards from these gardeners...
Sandysoil-2008- Sheila
dem-pa- Don, oh my gosh I think you wanted to make sure I was seed stocked for Spring!! LOL Thank you
hiviscusfan- Suzanne
onedaylily- Margie
jimryder- Tonya
poisondartfrog- Alana
micyrey- Michelle
hibiscusfan & micyrey made beautiful hand made cards, I always want to do this but never have the time.

Thank you ALL so much, almost made me cry when I saw all the envelopes!

Cindy

o

Have to catch up on my THANK YOU'S

From Momgardens1, a card filled with tomato seeds, Ferris Wheel, Golden Jubilee, and Holmstead select. Haven't tried any of these yet but they will be in my garden next summer. Thanks Jamie

From Ruby-Dog, calendula mix, Geum Lady Stratheden, Blue RiverII Hibiscus, Scabiosa mix and Tithonia Torch sunflower. Thanks Betsy

From poisondartfrog,coreopsis hybrida and Brighton Rock snaps. Thanks Alana

o

Dem-pa sent me chantenay carrots, lemon cucumbers and jack-be-little pumpkins, grandkids will love those, and some dill seeds from russia or poland? My nephew's girlfriend is russian, gonna have her translate the printing for me if she can. How interesting!! Nice little card with a painting of candles and holly berries. I've started a little display of all my cards above my desk so I can enjoy looking at them whenever I'm checking my email or whatever business chores I'm doing. Thanks very much dem-pa.

o

I spoke too soon!! Got another card today from momsgarden1 with a christmas tree card containing heirloom lemon cucumbers, mini white pumpkins, heirloom strawberry popcorn, heirloom harlequin marigolds and some cotton seeds - yes the grandkids will get a charge out of growing cotton! All 7 of my grandkids have shown an interest in gardening, thank goodness. I'll try to upload a photo of two of my granddaughters in the garden, hope it works.

o

Today I received a card from plant-one-on-me (Kim) with ground cherry seeds and dill! I LOVE LOVE LOVE dill! And, the ground cherries are always a hit at the farmer's markets. Thank you so much!

o

Two seed cards in the mailbox--how exciting!

Thanks to Pseudacris-crucifer/Chris for the Butterfly milkweed and instructions for planting. Love the dove card.

And thanks also to poisondartfrog/Alana for the beautiful card and peony-flowered poppy seeds. I will have a great flower garden next year! Happy solstice to you.

Socalgardengal sent the cutest card--is that how you fish in so. cal?

Grdengramma, two adorable young gardeners!

thanks again to all!
Betsy

o

Whatever happened to lisa? She had some numbers after her name and she wanted seeds for her child to grow. I haven't seen her post since the beginning.

o

I'm back from a trip. Checked the past week's mail and found 3 wonderful gifts!

Thank you, Michelle (micyrey), for the cool card (did you make it?) and for the awesome hosta "Big Momma", red bud, and bee balm seeds! I'm really looking forward to seeing what those hosta seeds produce, maybe it will be something unique!

Sheila (sandysoil_2008), thank you for the pretty card and the agastache and asiatic lily seeds! I can't wait to see them growing!

Thank you, Lois, for the sweet card and the echinacea seeds. Those cats in the tree are too cute. They remind me of a cat we had years ago that would always end up sleeping in the tree!

I have a quick question for everyone... If using two layers of bubble wrap, does the post office usually charge you parcel or large package rates for regular card envelopes? My first batch of envelopes were quoted at a parcel rate (I guess they were slightly too thick), so I removed a layer of bubble wrap. Today they went at regular letter rate at a different post office. It's hard to believe that a 1/4-1/3 inch change in thickness could make such a huge difference.

Anyway, mine are on their way, albeit rather late. Please let me know how they turn out - if there is any damage.

Oh! While I'm typing this, who has an excellent cookie/fudge/snack recipe(s) for Christmas that they wouldn't mind sharing? I have not started on mine yet... and I haven't quite decided what to make this year. I'm thinking rum balls, chocolate crinkles, chocolate cherry drops, decorated cut-out cookies, and who knows what else... maybe cake balls again.

o

I am very behind in my thank you's, so there are a lot of people that need to be thanked.

Dem_pa (Don) sent an amazing assortment of seeds. All of them arrived in perfect condition. I got these beans: Yellow Eye Bush Bean, Pencil Pod Bush Bean, Hytterite Soup Beans, Rattlesnake Pole Beans and Mayflower Pole Beans. WOW, thank you so much. I have never tried any of those but I am very excited to plant them! I also got Mexican Sunflowers, New England Asters, Dark Red Amaranthus, and Blacktail Mountain Watermelon, which are 12 lb watermelons! WOW, I am just in shock with your generosity. Thank you very, very much for all of these seeds!

Ruthz sent 3 seed varieties that I don't have. Orange/Yellow Lantana, Corno di Toro Rosso Pepper, and Love in a Puff. I really love peppers and I have always wanted to try out Love in a Puff seeds. I had a lantana a few years ago, but I forgot to bring it inside for the winter, so it died. I have wanted lantana ever since. Thank you very much for thinking of me!

Smitties (Margo) sent Love in a Mist 'Miss Jekyll', Dill, and Sweet Basil. I use sweet basil in a lot of recipes, so I always like to grow it to dry and use throughout the winter. I use dill like crazy, so the seeds will definitely be sown. Love in a Mist 'Miss Jekyll' looks very beautiful. Thank you very much. Merry Christmas!

Ruby_Dog (Betsy) sent Scabiosa 'Summer Berries Mix', Swiss Chard 'Bright Lights', Waltham Butternut, Garlic Chives, White Lisbon Bunching Onion, and Jalapeno M. WOW what a variety! I love everything. Thank you!

From hibiscusfan (Suzanne) I received Hibiscus 'Lady Baltimore' and White Scabiosa. I looked up that Lady Baltimore Hibiscus and it's just beautiful! I don't have a white scabiosa flower yet, so I can't wait to see them bloom. Thank you very much and Merry Christmas!

ClipClop sent some great seeds of red cayenne pepper and hot pepper yellow wax. I really love these peppers. I dry the cayenne peppers in my dehydrator and use the spice year round. I really like the yellow wax peppers also. Thank you very much for thinking of me and I hope you have a great holiday.

Margarita sent hot cayenne peppers and chocolate cherry tomatoes. Those chocolate cherries sound delicious and I do love cayenne peppers. They have so many uses. Thank you very much for these great seeds!

barefootgardner12 (Cris) sent along 3 tomatoes, Yellow Pear, Chocolate Cherry, and Pink Caspian. These sound great! I have never had Yellow Pear before. Pink Caspian looks huge, and I love growing huge tomatoes. She also sent Lisianthus 'Lizzy Blue' which is a dwarf variety. They look beautiful. I can't wait to grow all these. Thank you!

ishareflowers (Lisa) sent Lychnis vesuvias which looks very, very interesting. I can't wait! Thank you Lisa! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thank you all so much. I really love all of the seeds I received and there are a lot of new things that I'll be trying next year thanks to you all. All of these are just so great and I can't believe how generous everyone is. Thank you.

o

From what I understand, the package vs envelope rate is about flexibility as well as the dimensions. If it's rigid, it has to be a package regardless of the size.

o

Hello! What a treat this is! I have a whole lot of people to thank and plenty to wintersow this weekend!
Dem-pa sent a sweet card with Columbine, Foxglove, Lincoln peas(fav), Salvia Transylvannica and Jack be little pumpkin seeds(very, very cute!)! Thank you so much! This is going to be a treat! I know just what I am going to start Winter sowing! Thank you! i know just where these flowers will be planted!

Dirt-Daddy sent a very pretty card with 5 different types of peppers including Inca drop and Biker Billy - totally geeked about trying all 5 of these out! We love growing and using peppers! And Kale - 2 kinds! Plus mesclun and Ruby lettuce. Yum. Thank you very very much!

Sandysoil sent a beautiful golden glittery card with mixed columbine and cilantro.....Thank you! I go through cilantro like there's no tomorrow! Wintersowing these columbine, too!

Shc48 sent a sweet card that looks beautifully made....Wow someone is very talented!! In it are Yellow, and pink and white columbine (have the spot for these!) and Foxglove.

Salsa-Canner! What a beautiful Audubon card and sentiment! Peace is always beautiful. Love it! and ....cilantro, lettuce, and 2 peppers! and in the most adorable little seed packets with growing instructions! How do you do that? Wow!

IShare Flowers! What a cute card! It got me smiling on this cold winter day! and california poppies and colombine! Beautiful! I have these pictured in my mind already growing in their spots. In the sun. (sigh)

A gardener in PA sent me a beautiful card that has what I think is a hand-drawn tree with doggies in it.:) and foxgloves!

And...speaking od doggies..roper2008 sent an adorable card with two Westies peeking out of the mail slot! Soooo cute! and Red warty thing (always wanted to grow this!) Dwarf Beryl beauty tomato- a new one to try! cannot wait! and Banjul Market - Gambia hot pepper. Wow! I cannot wait for March to get these growing!

Thank you to everyone! Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! and Happy 2013 gardens to you all.

o

Alright!!! This started out slow for me, but now I almost cant keep up !!!:)
Thank you Xiangirl, for my wonderful homemade card and seeds:)
Poisondartfrog- thank you for the cute card and the blue spruce seeds!

Thank you Hibiscusfan for my much wanted Southern charm verbascum and white swan Echinacea!

Sandysoil_2008 for my very pretty card and Asiatic Lily seeds, and sedum joy seeds :)

Dempa for my adorable little card filled with dark red amaranthus, granny bonnet columbine, moss rose, and ground cherry seeds:)

Onedaylily for the card, Lenten Rose, Thungbergia, Verbascum, and Orlaya grandiflora

And a no-GW name ( BRAD from Alabama) who sent a bright red XMAS card, pumpkin seeds, purple bush beans, holly, and collard greens :)

o

I am headed to Connecticut in the morning, so Bingo may be late, or the next day..I hope you will understand. I need to be there for my friend.

BINGO WORDS.......

SLEIGH
SNOWGLOBE
GREETING

o

I had most of the cards being sent from middle of month till Christmas, so dont dispair..lots more on the way !

zackey, I am sure lisa is busy with Christmas, and will pop in again soon :) I know many people mentioned working lots of extra hours..

Vajeff, you HAVE to try oreo balls if you like oreos, we make two batches, because people fight over them :) Recipe is easy..and online. It is a package of oreos, a package or cream cheese, and almond bark. Easy, and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good !!

Everyone is receiving atleast 5 cards ! Which is what I try to promise, as per the rules of the swap. Each year it is different, this was the MOST EVEN out of all 5 years....I HOPE you all will have beautiful gardens this spring.

The not so feelin Ho, Ho, Ho ~Santa Kym

o

Kym, safe trip to you and it is nice you will be there for your friend. My prayers to all involved.

Only four Bingo words here.

I hope no one minds if I wait a bit to do the rate and reviews. I am planning on collecting all the cards after the holidays and will sit and review them all then. Too much going on to do it right now.

Thanks to canyonwind for the seeds I received today, white 4 oclocks and pickling cucumbers. I can't wait for a nice crop of cucumbers next year.

Margo

o

thanks Margo !

No rush on the rate and review, last year MANY did it right after Christmas..remember this swap goes till end of Dec...so there is time. I always post reminders off and on , incase someone doesnt come to swap often.

grdgrandmom, forgive me, I meant to say how cute your Granddaughters are, and I love to see kids that enjoy being in the garden !

I am still getting emails of people mailing cards...everyone is SOO giving !! Thank you :)

~Kym

o

More card for me. whoohooo...

micyrey:
Got Poppy pink shirly and tomato rutgurs seeds from micyrey with a handmade pretty card. Thank you so much.

redRuby_dog:
Got pretty Christmas card with Chard 'bright light', Eggplant black beauty, Kale 'dwarf blue curled', Nicotiana 'sensation mix', Okra bowling red and perennial sweet pea vine lavender from redRuby_dog. All are my favorites but specially excited about Chard, Eggplant and okra. sweet pea vine is new for me to try. Thank you so much.

dem_pa:
Got cute lambs Christmas card with succulent hens n chicks (wow), black eggplant, eggplant japanese white (love it), snow peas, mexican sunflower, Mayflower and rattle snake pole beans from dem_pa. Love them all. Thank you so much.

chefconnie:
Got cute homemade card with Tomato black krim, Peppers hot mix (wow), Oriental poppy (love it), Romain lettuce, leaf lettuce blend from chefconnie. Can't wait to plant them. Thank you so much.

barefootgardner12:
Got pretty stockings card with Tomato chocolate cherry, Yellow pear and pink caspian. Can't wait to grow them. Never tried chocolate cherry so very excited about it. Thank you so much.

Poisondartfrog:
Got pretty season's greeting card with Coleus superfine festive dance (pretty) and Sweet alyssum aphrodite lemon (wow another favorite) both commercial seeds from poisondartfrog. Can't wait to grow these. Thank you so much.

Paulan70;
Got another pretty stockings card with Petunia mixed seeds (love it) from Paula. Thank you so much. Can't wait to try it.

o

Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 23:45

So much fun reading about all the great seeds everyone's getting.
Got two cards today.

poisondartfrog/Alana sent a pretty Christmas gardening card with Rudbeckia TOTO LEMON, a much wanted item on my want list

ishareflowers/Lisa sent a cute glittery card with three types of dianthus, Neon Star, Sooty, and Black Magic.
I love dianthus.
Can't wait to grow all of these and thank you both so much for sharing.

Wishing Peace and Happiness to All

o

Got mail from some very awesome and generous elves.......
Oh this is so much fun.......

*Don aka dem_pa sent a cool Santa card and seeds, Tomato Juan Flamme, Balsam Touch Me Knots Impatiens (2 packages), Cilantro. Thanks so much!

*Alana aka poisondartfrog sent Happy Solstice wishes with Zinnia Pinca. Thanks so much!

*Lisa aka Ishareflowers sent a glittery Santa card and Zinnia Envy, Zinnia Giant Violet Queen, Zinnia Thumbelina mix and Edaname Envy. Thanks so much!

*Margarita10 sent a cute Rudolph card and Hot Pepper Cayenne
seeds. Thanks so much!

*Ruth Z sent very pretty Christmas greetings and Shishito Pepper, Large Leaf Basil (Italian Cameo), Cilantro Long Standing. Thanks so much!

Don, Lisa, Ruth, Margarita and Alana, I so appreciate your Christmas wishes and kindness. Merry Christmas to each of you.

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

Want to thank Margo for the card and Crazy Daisy seeds and Navajo tea seeds. Anxious to try these tea seeds. I have been wanting to plant seeds for making tea. I drink way too much coffee. Thank you Margo.

Ellie

o
Postage

If anyone receives from me with "postage due", please let me know and I will pay up. I took all of mine to the PO and they OK'd them. But you never know....LOL!

Annie

o

Sorry for not posting last night....and another card showed up for me today!

Very special THANK YOU to:

PoisonDartFrog for the pumpkin seeds! I LOVE growing pumpkins and cannot wait to get these guys growing this spring! (ps i think it is a funny coincidence that you sent me a card....i LOVE frogs LOL)

NeoHippie for the Peanut Pumpkin seeds, Tomato (Arkansas Traveler) seeds and Cucumber (Boothby's Blonde) seeds! As I said before I LOVE growing pumpkins! The Tomato seeds will sure cut back our food bill LOL. I have never grown Cucumbers before, and am thrilled to now have the chance!

OneDayLilly for the Tomato (Japanese Black Trilefe, Mortgage Lifter, and Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry) and Pumpkin (Triple Threat)! My garden will be full of Pumpkins and Tomatoes this spring!

Thank you all! I could not be happier with the seeds you have sent me! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

o

Thank you to Lisa (ishareflowers) for the cute santa card and the following seeds:
Cinnamon Basil- I have never tried this and am excited to do so.
Basil- Italian Classic
Beets- sugar sweet
Eggplant- Rosa Bianco I will have to research this one
Parsley- Italian flat leaf I have been wanting this
Oregano- Mediterranean I will have to research this one too

Thanks so much,
Connie

o

More thanks you's

I received from:

grdngramma: anise hyssop, spaghetti squash,acorn squash

sjc48: yellow patty pan squash, jacobs laddder( for my family name garden)garden hyssop

dem-pa: Gaillardia-Golden Goblin, Rose of Sharon, Golden Sweet snow peas, Siberian Iris, Mustard Spinach, Japanese Mustard greens, New England native aster.

Quite a haul from Santa's bag.

Thank you so very much I will plant everything. Next spring I will have a garden helper(my six yr old grandson who loves to play in the dirt)

margarita10

o

Thank you Nancy B. I love the card. very creative! the cosmos and hollyhocks are a welcome addition to my collection!
and nottougly/Faye love your screen name and really appreciate the white cosmos and tithonia and candy cane card.
ishareflowers/Lisa thank you I love the glitzy card and the green zinnia and blanket flowers (full seed packs, you are too generous)!

o

We live 15 miles away from town. Whenever I mail things at the post office in Florida it cost more money. I put what I think is the right postage on my cards. My mail lady lets me know the next day if I owe her money for postage due. It's kinda cool. When the substitute works it gets all screwed up. I hope that no one I mailed seeds to had to pay pay postage due. Please let me know and I will reimburse you! The mail lady came to the door last week and told me I needed to add a 20 cent stamp to the cards I had put a full sheet of bubble wrap in the card to protect the seeds. When I wrapped 5-6 packs of seeds in bubble wrap (in a wad) I only had to use one stamp. That is when chefconnie had her envelope slit open. Maybe they thought it was drugs? I won't do that again! Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

o

I received a lovely silver snowflake card today from Margo (smitties) that contained yellow primrose seeds. Many thanks! Primroses are among my favorite plants.

o

I received two more cards.

Today I received cosmos seeds inside a card showing a cat hanging inside a wreath from nlb52. Thanks so much.

On Monday I got Martin gourd seeds in a dove Christmas card from clipclop. That is the type of gourd I use for my birdhouses and some of mine need to be replaced.

I painted these "patchwork quilt" gourds several years ago.
Photobucket

Wonder Woman.
Photobucket

o

More thanks to Lisa,ishare for the Salvias! They will fit good in the flower bed. What a great Santa card! Burr, dd.

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 13:57

Love the gourds, Don. Great job.

o

Oooh, Santa Kym, I looked at the recipe and I'm definitely going to try those!

Wow. Nice gourds, dem_pa. I might have to borrow the wonder woman idea. My close friend is a huge fan and would love it.

o

Grndgrandma your granddgts. are adorable! And love the gourds Don! I have some more thank you's today!
Neohippie/Amanda-sent Lakota squash, Lemon Basil, Rattlesnake beans, emerald giant pepper, and blond cucumber!
Ellie/farmergirl2009 sent 3 types of columbines, 3 types of poppy's, and 2 types of foxgloves! Wow!
I am thrilled with all the seeds from everyone this year. I sent some on Monday, some Tuesday, and some today. I just so wish I could send to everyone, but just can't!
My foot is some better and able to get around without crutches now, but still hurts! I pray for all who have aches and pains or other problems right now. They seem large to us, but are really very insignificant in the things that are going on to others. May you have a great evening!

o

Don, how do you dry out your gourds? I accidently found a lazy way to do it when I left some goblin gourds outside on the ground all winter two years ago. Now they're hard as rocks and ready to be used...lol! My favorites of yours are the quilted ones, very kewl!

Today I'm sending thanks to...
Lisa/ishareflowers for sending teddy bear sunflowers. I think a themed garden might be in the works there...

Nancy who sent light blue morning glories and a mix of cosmos.

and Amanda, who gifted me with golden scalloped squash, amish field pumpkins, red romaine lettuce, lemon basil, tomatoes, long green onions, and some blonde cucumbers!

Thank You Ladies!

o

Received 2 more nice cards over the weekend , 1 from
dem-pa , lots of nice seeds ,Thanks a bunch Don.
And a big thanks to nibiscusfan for the Balsam Impatiens , love this plant , beautiful card too Suzanne , love the glitter look it has .

o

More Christmas Joy!!

Thank you to the following:
Zackey- what awesome replacement seeds, thank you so much, and I love the card too! Yard Long Asparagus bean- I will have to research that one.
Dill- Woohoo
Marglobe Tomato- I haven't received many tomatoes so this is a blessing
Lime Basil, yum
cushaw squash- will have to research this one
Holy Basil- I think I now have seeds for all the basil!!
Red Malabar Spinach-awesome

Kathy (katkri) sent the following;
African Marigold-fun
Garlic seeds? I thought garlic grew from cloves, interesting
lemon basil- love basil
parsley-woohoo
fennel- yummy
epazote- I have no clue but my daughter says I will love it
nasturium- on my wish list

Thanks you both so very much, and Merry Christmas

Connie

o

More Christmas Joy!!

Thank you to the following:
Zackey- what awesome replacement seeds, thank you so much, and I love the card too! Yard Long Asparagus bean- I will have to research that one.
Dill- Woohoo
Marglobe Tomato- I haven't received many tomatoes so this is a blessing
Lime Basil, yum
cushaw squash- will have to research this one
Holy Basil- I think I now have seeds for all the basil!!
Red Malabar Spinach-awesome

Kathy (katkri) sent the following;
African Marigold-fun
Garlic seeds? I thought garlic grew from cloves, interesting
lemon basil- love basil
parsley-woohoo
fennel- yummy
epazote- I have no clue but my daughter says I will love it
nasturium- on my wish list

Thanks you both so very much, and Merry Christmas

Connie

o

Hello,

I'm glad to see some more of my cards are finding their way home....I have a few thank you myself!

Dem-pa, Thank you for the perilla and tall red amaranth. I was afraid I may have to do without perilla this year.

Canyonwind, Thank you for the nigella and perilla shiso..I have bought nigella two years in a row and they were duds!

Jaynine sent me orange king zinnia,nigella persian red and var. nicandra. I can't wait to add these to my garden!

Poisondartfrog sent me nigella miss jekyll white and black pearl peppers, another lovely addition to my garedns!

I have to say that although I love getting gifted seeds in the mail, the highlight for me is checking daily to see that others have gotten my cards!

Have a great night

Lisa

o

I received 3 cards today!

rane_grow (Iris) sent Vorlon Tomatoes, New Mexico Big Jim Chile Peppers, and Jalapeno Peppers! Vorlon is a variety that I haven't tried yet, and it looks absolutely GORGEOUS from the pictures I'm seeing online. I haven't tried the New Mexico Big Jim pepper either, but I LOVE large peppers and they are always a hit at the farmers markets I sell at. Jalapeno peppers are always welcome in my garden and I grow them every year. They have so many uses and I use every single one, whether drying them, or making fresh snacks :) Thank you very much Iris!

NLB (Nancy) sent Black Mourdy Ornamental Grass. I looked it up and it looks SO COOL! So many people come by my house and ask me about grasses, and I sadly have to tell them I don't have much experience in that area. I am so excited to have this new and awesome black grass that I can tell my neighbors about. I can't wait to try all of these new ornamental grasses I'm receiving! :) Thank you very much Nancy!

Kathy (katkni) sent an amazing, beautiful package. The package actually brought tears to my eyes. I am so, so grateful for the seeds and card she sent. Is that your daughter? Beautiful! The card looks handmade, and is truly gorgeous. I thought it was store bought, and then I realized that it didn't have any bar codes :) You've got serious talent Kathy! You need to sell your creations on etsy! Kathy sent: Tomato 'Lemon Drop' (a variety that I do not have, but am super excited about), Banana Peppers (love these), Tomato 'Large Barred Boar' (another one I don't have!), Snapdragon 'Black Prince' (OMG these look epic! I love black flowers and hardly have any!), Cardoon (this flower looks so unique!), Mexican Butterfly Weed (omg. awesome!), Lunaria (I grew this for the first time this year, and LOVE the gorgeous flowers. I will definitely sow these in pots to sell at the market. People are always looking for them!), Black Cumin (I will have to research this - I can't wait!), White Coneflower, Small Bell Peppers, Anise Hyssop, Habanero Peppers (love all super hots like this!), Coreopsis (I try to grow this from seed every year, but I think I'm doing it wrong! I'll try stratifying these this time), Tomato 'Black Sea Man' (I have been wanting this for forever!), Kale 'Blue Scotch Curled' (this sounds gorgeous. My husband is a 'juicer' now and we can never have enough kale. YAY!), Lemon verbena, Bells of Ireland (these look like the coolest things EVER), Anaheim Pepper (thank goodness, mine didn't set seed in time for me to collect them!), Epazote (will have to research), Jewels of Opar (sound and look BEAUTIFUL! I've heard of these but have never grown them before!) California Wonder Pepper, Penny Black (totally new to me, and gorgeous!), Bluecorn (so unique!), and Prickley Caterpillar (this is by far my favorite seed packet that you sent. It looks SO COOL! I have never seen anything like it!). Kathy, you have no idea how happy you've made me. I have a lot of research ahead of me, and you sent 90% of seeds that are absolutely new for me. That is so, AWESOME! You are definitely so generous and I just can't thank you enough. I am so excited for all of the seeds you sent. Thank you thank you thank you!

Thank you all for everything. I love it! A woman offered my 2 acres of her land next year, so I'll be turning that into my permanent farm. These past few years, I've just been taking over 10+ people's backyards to grow my plants, including my own! I am very excited to have the new space next year, but removing the sod on 2 acres is going to be a BIG job. Does anyone have organic methods for weed control on such a big area without me spending a ridiculous amount?

I sent out my first batch of cards today, the ones that were ready. I am still preparing a ton to be sent out, but it might not be until after Christmas. I'd rather send them when they have all of the seeds I want to send, rather than just a portion of what I wanted to send, so it's worth the wait on the receiver's end, I hope!

I will leave feedback on everyone's page after Christmas. I am totally swamped right now and we're still running around trying to find Christmas presents. There are A LOT of people in my family, so it's a big chore!

Thanks everyone again!

o
RE:UPDATE: secret santa 5th year thank you's and games, # 2

I think I'm going to get a square frame for kathy's card and bring it out every Christmas. It is seriously a work of art!

o

I received two cards today!!
That was the punch line, lol.
I received two cards today from my original mailing on Saturday. One of them was returned due to post office roughness-seeds, part of the card, most of the envelope appeared to have been cut neatly away. All that was left was my return address. I think I know where this one was headed and I have a few more of the seeds that would have been in it, so I will get a replacement out in a couple of days.
I am blushing with embarrassment as I confess that I had not written the address on the second returnee. It was stamped, return address was on there, and so was my note on the back with the username it was prepared for, but I did not write the address on it. That one too, will fly again. Sheesh!

o

I received a very pretty card today from Kim/Plant-one-on-me! It was covered in snowflakes and had a pack of black cherry hollyhock seeds and dill seed. Thank you Kim!
~ Mandy

o

I received 5 more cards and seeds that I need to acknowledge.

poisondartfrog sent a beautiful card with a watering can on the front with snow falling in the background along with 2 types of ""ipomoea nil. I had to Google it and it turned out to be Japanese morning glories! Thank you so so very much! These will look awesome in my backyard. :)

sandysoil_2008 sent a beautiful card with Santa looking at a list of good boys and girls. :) I received blue morning glory and purple lupine. Yay!

hibiscusfan sent a cute glittery winter themed card along with Grandpa Ott morning glory seeds and mixed morning glory seeds. Thank you! I appreciate these. :)

margarita10 sent an adorable card of a mommy and baby reindeer along with heavenly blue morning glory seeds. These sound lovely!

momgardens sent along a light green card with a Christmas tree made from the words "Merry Christmas" and heirloom harelequin marigold, flying saucer morning glory and mixed morning glory. Thank you!

I am receiving a lot of morning glories and I am loving it! I will have to build some string trellises while the seeds are winter sowing so that they will have something to climb up on. :D

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 20:33

I need to get caught up on my thank-yous!
Yesterday I received a nice card and marigolds, cleome and little joe pye weed from Jamie/momgardens1. Thanks, Jamie, all from my wish list!
Today I got white yarrow seeds from nlb/Nancy, many thanks and I loved what you did with the card. Yet another idea for next year!
Iris/ranegrow sent a tall zinnia mix AND!! Apricot Profusion zinnias - another one crossed off the "to buy" list - many thanks, Iris!
And katkni! Good Grief! She sent 2 packs of sunflower seeds, a pack each of joe pye weed, larkspur, rue, snapdragons, marigolds, cleome, lunaria (new to me!), anise hyssop, asters, parsley and lemon basil! And a beautiful handmade card! Where did you find the snowflake punch? And I'll be in touch about the bleeding hearts. Kathy, thank you for your generousity!
Is anyone doing any wintersowing on Friday? I have to work but I'm going to set out the traditional 4 before I go in.
Season's Greetings to all!
Shirley!

o

I received 3 cards with more great seeds! Poisondartfrog (Alana) sent rudbeckia hirta toto lemon and antirrhinum brighton rock. Nottougly sent rusty foxglove and aster purple dome. NLB (Nancy) sent black hollyhocks and yellow and orange cosmos. Thank you all very much for the seeds and Christmas cards.
Ginger

o

redthreaddiy congratulations on the new farm! I can't even imagine 2 acres, and wish you the best of luck on clearing it.
It was fun to sort through my seeds & find things I didn't think you already had. ;)

sjc48, I think the snowflake punch is from stampin up. My friend invites me to her house for card making & lets me use all her fancy stuff - lucky me, she has been doing this for years, so she has all the special equipment, like rollers & punches & special trays for glitter. I get to dig around in her drawers and try it all. I'll keep you on my list next spring for the bleeding hearts. That bed needs some cleaning out. We are digging up the entire front yard for planting next year, now that the big tree is down, so I'll be moving those plants anyway.

o

chefconnie - I was not super sure about the garlic seeds, honestly, but from a brief search, it looked like something that people do. I figured if anyone could make it work, it would be a "chef."

The epazote is good in mexican food, especially beans, for reducing gassiness. It smells pungent, so I use small amounts, but I never taste it in the food. The leaves never grow as big as I see them in photos, but I wouldn't expect much of it in Zone 4.

o

I have mailed half of my envelopes and half will go out in couple of days.

Got more seeds.

barefootgardner12 - sent me very beautiful Christmas card with Marigold red gem, lettuce grand rapids and Tomato yellow pear. Love them all and can't wait to grow them. Thank you so much.

dem_pa don, sent me nice card with Two types of Basil, Rattle snake pole bean, Pepper anaheim, Pepper california wonder, Italian flat leaf parsley and yellow pear tomato. Love them all and can't wait to grow them. I am still very thankful for the red and green hens n chick he sent last year. They are doing very good. Thanks a lot.

Margarita - sent me nice card with Yellow pear tomato seeds. Thank you so much.

o

Another card today from Nancy B. It contained crocosmia seeds and I so want this to grow in my garden and fivespot which I had from several seasons but they did not return last year. Thank you Nancy.

Margo

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 21:56

Thanks,Kathy - my daughter is getting me into all the "fancy stuff" like like the punches. Also stamping. I don't want to get to far into this, but some of the things can be really creative and simple, which I like! I had never seen the snowflake, will google "stampin up!"
I have a beautiful white bleeding heart, but my pink one kinda like sulks all season. I bought the plants and haven't had much luck saving seed. Definitely keep me in mind!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 21:57

Wow, Don! The gourds you painted are fabulous.

I got 2 more great cards today. Whoohoo!

Annie (canyonwind) sent 4 different heirloom tomato varieties that all love the heat, and all new ones to me. How exciting!

Lisa (ishareflowers) sent Rudbeckia Green Wizard - what a beauty!

Thanks so much, ladies!

Katie

o

I was happy to find 2 more cards in the mail today. One was from jaynine
with Benary's Giant Wine Zinna, I think the second one is petunia violaeo?
and Nasturtium Tip Top Apricot. Thank you very much Jaynine.
The second card is from VaJeff, it has marigolds, Dark red Coreopsis, and
Profusion Knee High Red Zinnia. Thank you Jeff.
I'm going to have loads of butterflies in my garden this year, just like last
year. Can't wait.

o

redthreaddiy, get some chickens they will have every weed and blade of grass eaten in a short time. We keep ours in a chicken tractor and move it around the yard. Free fertilizer too! Chefconnie, I'm glad you got the seeds ok. The cushaw needs about 10-12 feet to run. They taste like a mild butternut. Zackey is back to normal. Thank God! He had me pretty freaked out. Lots of cool seeds being sent out. I had to google alot of them. Merry Christmas, everyone!

o

Two more cards with seeds landed here yesterday:

First, from Alana (Poisondartfrog) - A great wintery, snowy, sparkly, painted watering can scene of a card, with "Antirrhinum majus" (Snapdragon - "Brighton Rock") seeds! Wow! This is something I really, really wanted! "Very showy flowers - bright yellow overlaid with swirls of red and reddish-pink. Each bloom with a unique colour pattern."
Thanks bunches, Alana!! :)

And now, from Don (Dem-pa) - A really kewl "DaySpring - Your heart. God's love." candle card, with the following scripture on the back "The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14 NIV - Seeds: Moss Rose - aka "Portulaca grandiflora" - mixed colors / Broccoli De Cicco - "HEIRLOOM Italian variety known for tender stalks and mild flavor." / Watermelon - "Blacktail Mountain" "...An early producer. Superb for the north, but it also grows well in heat and drought. The flesh is red and deliciously sweet." / Dark red Amaranthus / Columbine - "Granny's Bonnet" - Purple and white (a bit like "William Guiness"?) Love Columbine! Wonderful! / Pumpkin - "Jack Be Little" mini - Total fun, this! -- Thank you sooo much, Don, for so many fabulous seeds and the card!

o

Thank you Neohippie for the lovely card and tomato and bean seeds:)

o

Thanks onedaylily for some basil seeds and assorted tomato seeds!

And glad to see some of my cards are reaching their destinations.

o

Thanks to Poisondartfrog for the waterig can card and the Tagetes patula and and cucumis dipsaceus. A couple more nice addittions to next years gardens! dd

o

I received 3 wonderful cards!

Thank you Michelle - micyrey for the lovely hand made card as well as the candy tuft umbellata and calendula pacific beauty! You did a wonderful job on the card, I really like it. I am excited about the flowers, something new to me is always fun. I have yet to google them :) Thanks again.

Thank you poisondartfrog - Alana for the asclepias physocarpa! I really wanted this and was so excited when I saw it I exclamed loudly to my hubby "I got hairy balls" It was fun for both of us.

Thank you Onedaylily - Margie for the bounty of flowers! I received amaranthus Intense purple, nigella miss Jekyll blue, snapdragon black prince and red russian kale. I noticed someone else receive that amaranthus and drooled so I was very excited to see it in my envelope. The kale will be going in the ground next week as here in S.Florida it is time for our veggies. I know little about the other two flowers but am thrilled to have something new to try. Thanks again.

dem pa nice job on the gourds!

Socialgardengal I live in south Florida with similar growing conditions and start many things like veggies and winter annuals in October and November and repeat again in Feb for a longer harvest. Email me after the holidays and I will try to help you out

o

I got 2 cards yesterday and the 1st card is from Jeffrey and he sent me a wonderful card and a pack of seeds but i cant read the name on them.

The other wonderful card came from ginger and she gave me some great seeds, 4 o'clock custard and cream, feverfew, and 4 o'clock pink.
Thank you so so much
Lisa lysa39

o

I finally had to google hair balls! What a cool looking plant! It said it has some medicinal properties. I'll have to google that later. 81 degrees here and I want to get my English peas planted. I'm trying to plant by the moon for the first time and see what happens.
Today I got three cards.
A beautiful cat card from roper2008 with alot of nice seeds in it. Violet asarina a large flowring vine I can hardly wait to grow!, white borage, I've been craving that one!, The big early hybrid tomato-more googling, scarchuks supreme winter squash that is vine bore resistant-yeah!,Helios radishes, Tommy toe tomato, Yes! They never make it out of the garden-we tend toe at the small tomatoes outside, orange sun bell pepper-wow! I was just admiring orange peppers at the store!. and Martino's roma tomatoes- I really apprciate that one! We are eating lots of romas now that are store bought.
A cute kitten card form sandysoil2008 with thyme, chives, I just used chives for the first time in garlic potatoes, zinnia cut and come again, an old favorite! I used to sell these flowers when I worked in a garden center in Pa back in the 80's, and mixed snapdragons, another old favorite of mine.
jaynine sent a cute Santa card with snapdragon-Ruby, tht sounds pretty, zinnias- Giant wine, I can't wait to grow that one! and Comfrey. Thanks so much! I've been reading about that being edible. Thanks so much to everyone for brightening my day and bringing me joy!!

o

Thank you keiki, I definently will email you in a few weeks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

o

I got 2 cards yesterday and the 1st card is from Jeffrey and he sent me a wonderful card and a pack of seeds but i cant read the name on them.

The other wonderful card came from ginger and she gave me some great seeds, 4 o'clock custard and cream, feverfew, and 4 o'clock pink.
Thank you so so much
Lisa lysa39

o

I recieved cards from pumkingal and farmergirl2009 today. Thank you both very much!
Tonya
:)

o

I recieved cards from pumkingal and farmergirl2009 today. Thank you both very much!
Tonya

o

A big thank you to Iris/ rane-grow! Lovely card and many seeds! Vorlon and dark chocolate stripe tomatoes. Black pearl, banana, and quadrato d'asti rosso peppers. Also 2 columbines and cosmos! Thank you so much! Love them all!

Jen/Jlee60 send me calendula, mahoghany midget coreopsis, columbine, and hardy hibiscus! I love them all! Thanks!

Jaynine sent me heliotrope, cranberries cosmos, and foxy digitalis! Thanks! Will love these also!

Lisa/pumkingal sent me foxglove, coreopsis, cosmos, ornamental pepper, and columbine! Thank you so much!

I am thrilled with all the lovely cards and seeds! I can't wait for spring to see all these lovelies blooming and growing!

o

This is such an amazing exchange, my family just can't get over the amount of seeds you all have blessed me with.

Today I will thank:
Suzanne (Hibiscusfan) She send Lettuce- Grand rapids and Meselun lettuce.

It was a lettuce kind of mail day! I love it. The snowman card is great too!!
Faye (nottougly) sent a cut candy cane card and Nasturtium Jewel and Zucchini verde chiaro d'utakua

Ginger (ggwrn) sent a lovely card with thyme, summer savory, lettuce all the year round, simpson elite lettuce.

Thank you all so much, Merry Christmas!!

Connie

o

I received a card from jaynine today with homemade pickles cucumber, pink brandywine tomato and horehound. Thank you!

o

Great Big Thank you's go out to jaynine & Neohippie!!

jaynine sent sunflowers,blue sweetpeas and black cherry tomato, YUM!

Neohippie sent boothby's blonde cucumber, emerald giant bell pepper, Ms. Burns lemon basil and lemon, drop hot pepper!
Thank you very much! My new garden is going to be sooooo friggen' Awesome with all these beautiful flowers and wonderful edibles generous people have sent!!!

I'm getting excited to start winter sowing soon,plus I need my space back,lol, I have jugs stored anywhere they could fit.
A very Merry Christmas to you both!

o

The cards never stop!!

sji1981, I love the beautiful snowflake card, with dahlia & silberian blue carnations. What a beautiful color those carations will be!

Ellie, thank you for the cute card, with angels & a manger scene. I'm really excited for the porcupine calendula, because I'm pretty sure I don't have that variety yet. And I definitely needed the lupine seeds. Time to start winter sowing!

Nottoughly, your card is beautiful, thank you, I love watercolors. I just got a trellis and have plenty of room for hyacinth bean vines. My motto next year is more vertical.

rane_grow, I love all the blues on the snowman card :) Thanks for the ground cherries, and the Vorlon tomatoes. It sounds like it's supposed to be pretty tasty.

o

Ellie (farmergirl2009) sent Snake Gourds, Speckled Swan Gourds, and Euphorbia 'Summer Icicle'. Thank you so much! I have never tried snake gourds before but they look freakin' awesome! I killed the only Euphoribia plant I had by transplanting it (it was NOT happy and died.) so I'm very happy to have a new euphorbia! Love everything! Thank you so much! I am totally going to paint my snake gourds when I harvest them next year. So cute!

Jaynine - THANK YOU SO MUCH for the gladiolus bulbs!!! OMG! I was in shock when I opened up the package! These will definitely be planted at my new bulb farm in the spring. Thank you so so so much! Look at how GORGEOUS these are! Thank you so much!!!

o

I really love reading about everyone's cards & seeds...makes my day.
Katie-'Boone' is my favorite gladiolus: they're perennial, they multiply quickly, they aren't so heavy that they fall over AND they're beautiful.
Linda-the Petunia is P. violacea~a fragrant, small-flowered species. Enjoy!

o

Plant one on me - sent me pretty snowflakes card with Roma tomato with Yard long pole beans. 2-3 beans were crushed but rest looks ok. I love Roma tomato and pole beans and would definitely grow them. Thank you so much.

rane_grow sent me snowman card with pepper red bell and vorlon tomatoes. Can't wait to try them. Thank you so much.

pumpkingal, sent me nice winter scene christmas card with eggplant, celosia, xmas tree (not sure can't read the label) and love lies bleeding. Love celosia and eggplant and can't wait to try them. Thanks a lot.

jaynine sent me pretty berry card with seven top turnip, sweet peas, purple peony poppy. Love peony poppies. Thank you so much.

o

I received a pretty card with red cabbage seeds (super excited!), black cherry tomato seeds (yay!), and cosmos - cranberries (the pictures look fantastic!) today. Thank you very much Jammi/Jaynine!

Mandy

o

Ugh! Lousy weather! Most of yesterday it rained, then last night and this morning it really rained. Now, it's snowing like the dickens and it's supposed to keep on snowing for at least a couple more days and nights. Rat burgers! When I was a kid, I loved it, whereas anymore, so far as I'm concerned, all it does is foul-up the roads, block our satelite TV reception, and it makes everything all slippery-slidey-dangerous to walk on. Phooey and double phooey! I want it to just stop and get cloudy so things can dry out for a while. --Stepping down off of soapbox--

-----

On a much brighter note,...

I've been graced with two more cards today!

From Iris (rane_grow): A really cute snowman card (with fun, sparkly snowman stickers on the envelope) and an extreme generous amount of "Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch Kale" seeds! "Nutritious, tender, and crunchy, the plume-like leaves of Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch are finely curled and an attractive bluish-green color. This hardy variety maintains color well, and is slow to bolt. Dwarf plants grow up to 15" tall but can spread up to 30" wide." Never even knew this variety existed! How kewl! Really looking forward to growing it! Big ol' "Thanks!", Iris! :)

From Janine (jaynine): A lovely, old fashioned type card depicting a watercolor snow-scene of people out-n-about, admiring a lit downtown Christmas tree (nice job with the snowflake envelope embellishments as well). The seeds she included are as follows: Lime Basil (never tried this one, definitely looking forward to it) / Irish Poet Tassel Flower - "This annual has long stems and small, bright orange flowers in clusters. These flowers have once been described as the windswept hair of an Irish poet." These will definitely be a welcome addition to our flower beds (particularly appealing to my "County Cork" Hurley side of our family)! / Kale, Nero di Toscana "Also known as Black Palm. A cross between cabbage and kale, it is extremely winter hardy, becoming very sweet and full of flavor after a freeze. Popular in Tuscany and central Italy where it is used in soups and stews." Ooooo! Yet another new variety to play with! - Janine, thank you sooooooo much! :)

o

Today, I received a cute chickadee card with some exceptional seeds from Janine (jaynine): salpiglossis Black Trumpets, geranium palmatum, and alcea rosea Halo Blush. Many thanks, Janine! Also, Suzanne (hibiscusfan) sent me a charming snowman card with gerbera seeds. I was thrilled to discover they were nice plump ones, since so many gerbera seeds I receive in trades are too wispy to be viable. Many thanks to you too, Suzanne!

o

More beautiful cards and seeds today from the following gardeners!!

Katkni- Kathy
lovely hand made card!
nottougly- Faye
jaynine- Janine

You ladies are ALL so generous,thank you so much!!
Cindy

o

Received 6 Christmas Cards in the last few days. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Lisa, Pumpkingal, sent a nice assortment of different color cleomes. We have a great place to plant these spider plants.

Chris, barefoogardener12, Sent Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot Peppers, great for salsa, Glamour Tomatoes and Dill.

Margarita10 sent Chocolate Cherry Tomato and Aunt Ruby's German Green Tomatoes. Have to try both of these and nice to have the history on the Aunt Ruby's tomato seeds.

Amanda, Neohippie, sent a nice Seasons Greeting card with a picture of a Hoary Bat on the cover, Lemon Drop Hot Peppers, Rattlesnake Pole Beans and Tall Telephone Peas.

Janine, jaynine, sent me Cilantro "Canbe" which I'll add to my salsa, Flat Italian Parsley and Kentucky Wonder Wax Pole Beans.

Iris, rane_grow, sent Barlow Jap Tomatoes and Vorlon Tomatoe seeds. I had to google the Vorlon tomato and found out it was named after a fictional alien race. Very Interesting!!

Thanks again to all, I'm having fun with the Santa Seed Swap.
Merry Christmas
Ed, SalsaCanner

o

Neohippie:Thank you for the seeds of colorful veggies: Red Rommaine Ms Burns Lemon Basil, and Boothby's Blonde Cucumber.

jaynine: Thank you for the variety. I was really hoping someone would send nasturtiums. You sent not only nasturtiums, but also my favority squash (Galeaux d'Eysines) and marigolds.

o

A gloomy afternoon and evening today. It's been raining for several hours, but at least it's warm. Did a bit of baking and then sat down to open some more fantastic cards.

A very merry thank you to:

Tonya (jimryder), for the agastache "Apricot Sprite", echinacea "Green Envy", and purple clematis seeds. The agastache is going to look great with my "Black Knight" buddleia and purple creeping lantana!

Janine (jaynine), for the lime and "Pistou" basils and the begonia. The "Pistou" basil will do great in my aerogarden, so I'm going to start that as soon as possible! I can't wait for the begonia. I read that it's perennial in this zone and produces little bulbils that can be propagated.

Margie (onedaylily), for the agastache "Pink Pop" (another color for my collection!),heuchera "Bressingham Hybrids", bugbane (will definitely give this a try), caryopteris, and thimbleweed. The last caryopteris I tried wouldn't germinate to save the world, so I'm very happy to have new seed to work with, and a generous amount at that. The thimbleweed looks very interesting and makes me think of a cross between a buttercup and a strawberry flower. I think it will do great in the semi shaded spots under either the pine or holly trees, or around the heavenly bamboo... or all of those spots!

Margo (smitties), for the dark opal basil. This one is going to make a surprising purple pesto and it's very ornamental too. I love it!

Thank you!
Jeff

o

I received 3 cards today (and I thought I was about done!)

-Ellie (farmergirl2009) sent me a generous pouch of thornless blackberry seeds and a lovely card. Thanks, Ellie; I can't wait to start making jam!

-Iris (rane_grow) sent me a beautiful card and a bag of seeds that will become beautiful chocolate striped tomatoes. Thanks, Iris!

-Amanda (neohippie): I love the bat card. Where did get those? Also, thank you so much for the San Juan melons and the Ms. Burns Lemon basil. That should be a nice complement to the cinnamon and lime basil I grow.

o

Received the cutest card with a snowman from rane-grow (Iris) and she had sent Rudbeckia Cappucino. I love snowmen and have quite a collection of snowman figurines. Thank you Iris. I think of all the rudbeckia's that I have planted through the years, only the Cappucino survived a winter.

Janine sent Yellow wax bells (this has been on my want list forever), dianthus 'King of the Blacks' and lemon verbena for tea.

Thank you ladies for the lovely cards and seeds. Don what beautiful gourds! The only thing I can paint is a wall thats all the same color. Oh well!

Ellie

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 8:43

Received some wonderful cards and seeds this week from:

Dem-pa - blanket flower, amaranthus, hibiscus, double white hollyhock, granny bonnet columbine, celosia, pink aster

Hibiscusfan - wonder of staffa, gailardia burgundy

Shirley - penstemon prairie dusk, nigella, texas hummingbird sage

Smitties - gailardia, feverfew

Sandysoil - agastache, lupine purple

Thank you all very much, I am so looking forward to planting these.... A very merry Christmas to all!

Lois in Pa

o

Cold and blustery here today. We had a nice rain yesterday. Being from northern PA I understand the bad weather feelings. Stay safe! Finally getting our little Christmas tree decorated. It always makes the house feel warm and cozy when it's all decorated. I never knew how many different plant varieties there are! So fascinating to read all the different seed gifts.

o

Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 10:01

I received 2 beautiful cards yesterday.

Both were made in USA and both had Christmas wishes.

farmergirl2009/Ellie sent a pretty handmade card with Red Spider Zinnia and Red Red Rose Dianthus.
ilovefarac/Melinda sent a beautiful Snowman card with Cactus mix, Enchantress, Violet Queen, and Scarlet Flame zinnias.
I love zinnias and dianthus and look forward to seeing all of them blooming in my garden.
Merry Christmas and thank you for sharing.

o
bingo

Bingo words are..........

Ornament
YULE LOG
PRESENTS

o

Many more thanks!

Neohippie! Thanks for the PEACE card and the Boothbys cucumber, AK travler tomatoe and the Rattlesnake pole beans! I will try to make them a good home in our garden also.

Another Santa card! Thanks Janine! for the Zinnnas, didnt have that one. Chocolate tomatoe and Fortex bean!

jas-il sends a Snowman- reindeer card and chives, pepper and Marigolds! Thanks very much!

ilovefarac sends sunflowers, YES, and sage and Zinnas! Thanks to all! dd.

o

GOT MAIL yesterday! Fun! Fun! Fun!

*Iris aka Rane-Grow sent Best Wishes and Christmas Greetings (cute snowman) with KBX Tomato, Ancho Grande Pepper,"Celebration In Pink" Cosmos.

Iris, a very Merry Christmas to you. Thank you so much!

I just love this Secret Santa Celebration. Every one is so happy, excited and appreciative. Giving is really what it is all about! Santa Kym....thanks for being the best Santa!!

Happy Friday to all! Merry Christmas!

Annie

o

A beautiful card with pine limb and pinecone with snow on it came today from Kathy/katni.
She sent lemon basil, epazote, fennel, and parsley! I am very pleased with these and definitely will use them! Thanks so very much !

o

Merry Christmas everyone.

I would like to thank Anne/Canyonwind for the the lovely Kellogg breakfast tomato and the verbena bonaries. Looking forward to trying them both.

And according to my records I am waiting to hear that 4 more of the cards that i sent out made it to the people they were surpose to.

Paula

o

Two more cards today. I am amazed by how many cards I have gotten! Y'all have blown me away! A cute card from katkin with a cute little pine cone on it. I love pine cones! And several packs of seeds. African marigold red/orange, I can never have enough marigolds! I bring them inside for my vase on the kitchen windowsill. I love their tangy smell. Fennel, radishes, parsley I needed more parsley, I use it alot in soups that I make and purple snapdragons. Thanks!!
A nice Happy Holidays card from smitties with thyme I use that in all of my soups and lovage. I've never grown Lovage but I've always wanted to! Thanks!!

o

Oh my. More cards!

pumkingal sent a bear card with red bell peppers. Thank you Lisa!

nottougly sent a nice handmade card with Sweet Banana peppers, Pimiento Rojo Marconi Peppers, and Okra 'Hill Country Red'. Thank you very much!

Jaynine sent a nice winter scene card with Dark Opal Basil, Corkscrew Vine, and Nigella 'Midnight'. These are very unique seeds for me and I can't wait to grow them. I am especially excited about the corkscrew vine. Thank you Janine!

Neohippie (Amanda) sent a nice looking dove card with Feverfew for migraine headaches, Bell Pepper 'Emerald Giant', Rattlesnake Pole Beans, and Tomato 'Arkansas Traveler'. These are all new for me so I am very excited to sow them this spring. Thank you for all of the seeds! These sound great. I like giant anything so the Emerald Giant sounds really cool.

katkni sent a huge package filled with seeds, I couldn't believe my eyes. She sent a handmade card with Jalapenos, Sunflowers, Melon 'Fordhook Gem', Lemon Basil, Joe Pye Weed, Pink Forget Me Not, Aster, Love in a Mist, Kale 'Scotch Blue Curled', Kentucky Dreamer Bean, More Sunflowers, Shiso, Anise Hyssop, Lunaria, even more sunflowers, parsley, Tomato 'Beefsteak', Cucumber 'National Pickling', Zinnia 'Giants of California', and canna seeds. I will have to look up a lot of these but I am very excited to try new seeds. Thank you very much Kathy, what a wonderful and very generous person you are!

Wow I'm going to have to step up my game next year. You are all so generous!

o

I need to catch up on my thank-yous. I received 3 cards yesterday but was too tired after battling the mail and a snowstorm to even open them. I ate dinner and went straight to bed, where I stayed until this morning. But, enough northern doom and gloom, let me tell you what I've received yesterday and today!

from yesterday...
Janine/jaynine sent cranberry cosmos (that's a new one to me!), giant wine zinnias (another new one), and ruby-colored snapdragons. Hmmm, I believe these would make a great-looking large container, don't you?

Faye/nottougly sent sunflowers and coneflowers

Iris/rane_grow sent chocolate tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and a mix of morning glories

from today...
Darrin/cryptid sent a keychain light (very helpful!), purple petra basil, picotee cosmos, naughty marietta marigolds, and atomic red carrots. He also sent a beautiful red butterfly his wife Elly crocheted. Darrin, this one is going into another quilt I'm working on. It's all about flowers, so I'm going to applique this butterfly onto one of the blocks. THANK YOU!

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL! YOU CONTINUE TO MAKE MY CHRISTMAS BRIGHT AND CHEERFUL!!!

Dan & Co.

o

Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 16:16

Good Mailboxing day. Two more cards.

nottougly/Faye sent a glittery winter scene card with amaranthus Illumination and a much much wanted dianthus, Clusterhead Pink.
jaynine/Janine sent a Santa and Sleigh winter scene card with Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflower, Gumdrop Candy Zinnia, and Candy Pink morning glory all from my want list.
Wow, such pretty cards and great seeds. I can't wait to grow all of these.
Thank you both so much and Merry Christmas to you and your families.

o

Wow just checked the mail (I got the other card yesterday) and I recieved 2 more cards the first one from

ruth I love that card it is very pretty it is a little winter lake sceen. She sent me some double blue balloon flower yeah and some saluti dark red salvia and a sizzler salmon bicolor salvia. I can not wait to see these in bloom.

Jaynine/janine she sent a very pretty winter sceen card and she included some zinnia gumdrop candy never even heard of this one should be good and then 2 different kinds of petunias a merlin mix and wave mix. But too bad for me the machine sorter has smashed the poor little seeds too bad to where there is yellow (coated seeds)dust. And they were 2 of the petunias that I wanted. But it is the thought that counts.

Thank you so much to those who choose to share their seeds with me and with everyone else. I love to see the sharing spirit kept alive.

Paula

o

Tonya

o

I am overwhelmed to have received 3 more cards in the last two days. Santa's elves have been very busy and everyone is so generous!

Janine/Jaynine - sent a beautiful winter berry card with hand decorated envelope containing Asclepias tuberosa, Shirley Poppy 'Bridal Silk' (sound fabulous!) and Amish Paste tomato (I've Really wanted to try these).

Cindy/Alwaysagarden - sent a pointsettia card with Utah large celery and Michili Oriental Cabbage, 2 more from my wishlist that will be fun to try out!

Cheryl/Smokymist - sent the cutest snowman card - let it snow - and it has, though not sticking. Inside were 'Baby Corn' sweet corn and 'Red noodle' yard long beans, more from my wishlist.

Thanks to everyone, this has been great fun! Merry Christmas to all,

Betsy

o

More cards ! Its been cloudy, rainy, windy and very gloomy here but whats inside my mailbox every evening to greet me is like warm sunshine to the soul ! Thank you to:
Amanda/Neohippie for Alyx Little Sun tomato seeds ( gotta look this one up ! Mrs Burns Lemon Basil ... love this one !Emerald Giant Bell pepper ! thank you to RuthZ for Jimmy Nardello pepper ... been wanting to grow this one bad !Parris Island Cos romaine lettuce and Italian Cameo basil ! love it ! thank you to Paula/Paulan70 for Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia ! I just love them and will be wintersowing these ! thank you Jamie/Momsgardens sent Black Beauty zucchini ( one of my top fave squash )Red whirligig zinnia, Vorlon tomato and sweet banana pepper, can't wait till spring ! Thank you also to Jim and Tanya ( jimryder ) who sent lovely packages of Sweet 100 cherry tomato( I grow this one every year ), dark maroon scabiosa, Boothby's blonde, Marketmore and white wonder cucumber,yum ! thank you Mandy / L1oness , she sent me Hahm's Gelbe tomato seeds ! have never grown this one , looking forward to trying a new tomato ! Thank you Margo / Smitties for the Ornamental Kale - very much want to start this from seed ! and Sweet Genovese Basil !
Thank you Diana for the lovely lettuces -Buttercrunch, Bibb, Cherry tomato and dark green Zucchini ! Will have wonderful salads with these !And Thank you to Debby1 for the Smokey fennel and Daylily seeds ! I have had great luck with daylilies the past few years ! Can't wait to statt these !

this has been a wonderful few weeks, finding these wonderful cards and seeds in my mailbox is so much fun and makes the holidays extra special, I am enjoying seeing that the cards and seeds I have sent out are starting to reach their destination ! love it !!!

Merry Christmas to you all and especially Santa Kym ! without you we would not have this most wonderful swap !

Iris xoxox

o

Little bit behind again. I'm on vacation this week, so you would think I would get caught up. Not happening. Got lots of cards, I appreciate each and every one. Here goes:

Farmergirl 2009 - Ellie sent a beautiful handmade card with white digitalis, mountains mix digitalis, red red rose dianthus, pink and white lupine, and red texas hummingbird sage. I can't wait to start these.

nottougly - Faye sent a bright candy cane card with french dwarf marigold, and allium, I just love these.

ggwrn - Ginger sent a county theme card with lots of glitter, which I'm wearing now with caramel heuchera, orange profusion zinnia, and lavender. I can smell the lavender throught the package. Love it.

rane-grow - Iris sent goldsturm rudbeckia, delicata squash and grandpa Charlie tomato. I am going to have a tomato trial this year and plant 1 or 2 of a bunch of different ones.

ilovefarac - Melina sent giant enchantress zinnia, state fair mix zinnia, crackerjack marigold, and vera lavender.

Cindy- alwaysagarden, thank you for the basil and the chinese lanterns. Did you have the red bed a few years back? It was wonderful.

Cryptid - Darrin - Thank Elly for the butterfly pin. It's beautiful. The handmand card is awsome, so is the key chain and your labels. I received green envy zinnia, cosmos, box car willie tomato and lemon drop marigold.

jaynine - Janine sent foxy digitalis, zinnia, and needlepoint candytuff mix. Thank you.

katkni - Kathy sent 3 different sunflowers, african marigold, joe pye weed, french dwarf marigold, larkspur, lemon basil, lunaria and state fair zinnia mix. Yea. I'm spending a fortune this year on bird seed. Next year I'm going to go all out on sunflowers.

nlb - Nancy sent velvet queen sunflower. I love this one.

jimryder - Jim & Tonya sent pink peony poppy, rose queen salvia, red cosmo, and lavender. Thank you.

Thank you everyone.

Debby

o

I received more cards yesterday and today. Thanks to all of you.

From jaynine I received a beautiful card and in it were cosmos "cranberries" and zinnia "Will Rodgers". Thank you.

rane-grow sent me a beautiful card and in it was Frances McWillman hosta, two packs of "Crystal" white columbine, Dwarf red California poppy, and Pink peony poppy. Thank you.

From poisondartfrog I received a beautiful card and dark red poppy and gold canna seeds. Thanks so much.

From nottougly I received a beautiful card and cosmos mix, and aster Chinese giant Princess. Thanks so much.

roper2008 sent me a polar bear card and it it were watermelon radish and Native aster seeds. Thanks so much.

Again thanks to all of you.

o

Oh what fun the mail was. Yesterday I got a flyer--that's it, one flyer.
Today was the Bucket Load! What fun!
Thank you nottoughly for crazy daisy, astilbe mix and saffron seeds. The USPS had a real party with the envelope. One side of the envelope was blown out and half the saffron seeds were crushed and the other half trickled out in my hand. I saved them very carefully.
rane_grow thanks for the dwarf red california poppy. Can't wait to see them grow and bloom! Yeah!

Heidi

o

Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 19:22

I am way behind on my "thank yous",so here goes:
4 packs of cleome, different colors, from Lisa/punkingal, along with a pack of bleeding hearts seeds!! Thank you, Lisa!
A cleome mix and blackeyed susans (really need these!) from Faye/nottoughly, many thanks, Faye!
Nasturtiums, sweet pea "blue ripple", and garden sage-really need this!, from Ellie/farmergirl, thank you, Ellie!
Janine, thank you for the sweet pea "black night", another one off the "to buy" list! also for the basil pistou and zinnias.
Annie, the cleome "cherry queen" sounds just beautiful, also thanks for the sweet peas!
I also received cleome, gomphrena-new to me-, zinnias, cosmos, marigolds and penstemon gulf coast colors, from Cindy/alwaysagarden-Thank you! I love penstemons!
And one of you sent me zinnia profusion "cherry" ,but the cats sort of re-organized the packs for me, so I'm not sure who sent it, but I thank you anyway!
Ladies, all the cards were really pretty. Ellie, how creative yours was - good job!
Been up since five, had to wintersow before I went to work, so now I'm going to go collapse somewhere!
Blessings on the day!
Shirley!

o

I got three great cards today

Thank you jannie jaymine for the caster beans, 4 o'clock, and the sage.

Thank you faye nottougly for the wonderful 4 o'clock, and the love in the puff vine.

Thank you farmergirl2009 ellie for the wonderful snake gourds, 2 kinds of gaillardia, and 4 o'clocks.

I loved all the cards and seeds
Thanks again lisa

o

Many thanks to:
farmergirl2009/Ellie, who sent a very cute homemade gingerbread man card containing seeds for Pansy 'Rhine Gold' and Petunia 'Prism Sunshine'. Yellow's my favorite color.
hibiscusfan/Suzanne for sending a beautiful 'potpourri' tree card (again, homemade-talented women!) with seeds of Thyme 'Magic Carpet'. I love thyme and use it as living mulch, as well as in cooking and for tea. I'm happy to add this variety to my collection.
nottougly/Faye, who sent seeds for the beautiful Cosmos 'Antiquity' in a glittery, wintery card in watercolor. How pretty!
I will grow and appreciate them all!

o

I meant to add a note to Paula about the petunias...I'll send some more out to you, but in the meantime don't throw away the 'dust'. The seeds are still in there somewhere!

o

I received 7 cards and seeds yesterday and today. Here are my thank yous!

Jaynine sent a pretty card with berries with frost on them along with lettuce tom thumb, spacemaster cucumber and english lavender. My raised beds are going to look and smell fantastic! Thank you very much. :)

Nancyb sent a colorful snowman card with mixed morning glories. Thank you! Horray for more morning glory!

Pumpkingal sent a gold embellished poinsettia card with yellow foxglove,bok choi, red poppy and a poppy mix. Thank you for the flowers and bok choi! I will definitely enjoy these!

Nottougly sent a beautiful watercolor card with giant noble spinach and carrot chartenay red core. Yummy! Thank you!

Rane_grow sent a cute snowman with a bluebird card along with dill, parris island cos lettuce and crenshaw melon. Yum, I can't wait. Thank you!

Ilovefarac sent a cute santa card with foxglove mix, MG george strait mix and pink banana squash. Man these are awesome. Thank you!

Katkni sent a nice canvas snowflake card with morning glory heavenly blue, lettuce simpsons curled, grand rapids lettuce, green yardlong pole beans, 3 pks of sunflower, african marigold mix, lemon verbana, lemon basil, anise hyssop, joe pye weed, two lobed larkspur, lunaria and epazote. Thank you very much and yes I will look for you come spring/summer time to trade. :)

o

Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 21:37

I have some thank yous to catch up on:

Ginger (ggwrn) sent a sparkly card and seeds for Coronado hyssop and Profusion Firs Zinnia. Wow, these both look just awesome!

Ellie (farmergirl2009) sent the most darling homemade card with gingerbread men. You are one talented lady! She also sent seeds of Profusion cherry zinnia and Speckled Swan gourd. Looks fabulous!

Faye (nottoughly) sent a beautiful watercolor card and black-eyed susan seeds. Such cheery flowers :)

Nancy (NLB) sent a stained glass card and seeds of yellow coneflower. Love those.

Janine (jaynine) sent a snow scene card :) and seeds of Jazzy Mix zinnias, butterfly weed, and spotted beebalm - can't wait to see the monarda bloom!

Kathy (katkni) sent a very beautifully done homemade card and so many seeds for pollinators: sunflowers, two-lobed larkspur, lemon basil, lunaria, African marigold, white coneflower, joepyeweed, aster, anise hyssop, parsley, State Fair mix zinnia. My garden will be a-buzz with bees and butterflies next year! Wow!

And finally,
Darrin (cryptid), Ellie and Roy sent a lovely homemade snowman card (my favorite!). Seeds sent were columbine, cherokee sunset rudbeckia, green envy zinnia, and dipper gourd! What lovelies! Elly crocheted a beautiful butterfly - what a talented lady!! Darrin also enclosed an LED keychain... seriously, I am out in the dark often in my work in the field with wildlife so this is fantastic! A light for my keychain - - I already carry a flashlight in my purse ;)

Truly, I am again overwhelmed by the generosity of GW-ers. Y'all are amazing!

So tomorrow my husband and I travel down to heaven on Earth (aka southern Louisiana) to spend the holidays with family and friends. I will be gone for a week, but will look forward to checking back in with the SSS 2012 threads upon my return.
Until then, Merry Christmahannukwanzaa and Happy Winter Solstice!

Katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here