Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilmoth_gw

UPDATE: sponsor a newbie

wilmoth
16 years ago

Our other thread reached its max...This roundrobin is for newbies to find a Sponsor for seeds. All newbies are responsible to provide his/her Sponsor with sasbe and postage for their seeds... thanks ....... Donna

Comments (145)

• robinlynn
    16 years ago

Dear Kilngod and Agirlsagirl,
    Thank you so much for my seeds. I am already planting them instead of cleaning my house for the holiday. Thanks again!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Your welcome Robin! Have fun!:)

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Great Sonya! I have heard from Monkey65 also, so I am all squared away. Thanks, everyone.
    Alana

• michael67
    16 years ago

NEWBIE here looking for a sponsor. Looking for seeds of edibles suited for zone 6 (NE Oklahoma) to help feed my large family. We live on 5 acres where I've tilled a good sized plot for a garden. I bought some seeds tonight and will update my Member Page soon. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: TheClays.com

• mooncr8zy
    16 years ago

I am a newbie and am in need of a sponsor, I love in Oklahoma, the Tulsa area... Thank you so much...

• jscquarterhorses
    16 years ago

Hi, I graduated from college, got married, and moved into a new home over the last 12 mo. I promised my mother my entire childhood that I would have someone do landscaping for me... it was pretty but there was NO way that I was gonna work THAT hard to have flowers. haha, she laughs at me now! I got the bug. It just took me a little longer than some folks... if they get it! So I have collected a little from her, daylillies, roses. Bought a few other things, tulips (which I discovered tonight that I did bury a few upside down)My landscape is bare, spare a few bradford pear trees. I have so much to learn, and I am very grateful to have found this site! If anyone would like to sponsor me, I like/don't have
    shade flowers
    any kind of hummer/butterfly flowers
    willow trees
    burning bush
    hot peppers (rest of veggies are gonna be at grandma's)
    and anything...I am really not picky, the only thing I don't want is primrose-I thought it was the prettiest flower that was hardy when I passed through TX last year on my honeymooon and planted a few-needless to say IT TOOK OVER! And continues to sprout everywhere.
    Thanks To all the oldie/goodies that don't mind sharing your wealth. I have this thought in the back of my head that one day I will be able to sit back and enjoy my work, then reality checks and says that day is today, because the work never ends!
    Sam

• grovespirit
    16 years ago

Cindy accidentally posted to the outdated adopt-a-newbie thread. I am reposting her info here, for her sake. Potential sponsors who are in or near Zone5, please contact GW member nova62.

From Cindy * nova62 zone 5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 19:57:
    > >OK, yes I am a Newbie.
    >Also new to outdoor flowers. I want to plant alot of summer >flowers that will re-seed. I have 2 acres to work with now >and am looking to do alot of different beds. I love all >flowers but have no seeds to share. I want to do the >natural looking beds rather than all things lined up. I >like the monarda, bellflower, coneflower & black eyed >susans. Does anyone have seeds? I promise, I will have >seeds to share when I get this going.
    >Thanks
    >Cindy

• AmyinMO
    16 years ago

I'm a newbie to gardening, but my dh and I are planting a vegetable garden this year. I could use a few things, but I don't need seeds so much as maybe someone to look to for advice? Especially someone familiar with companion planting, organic gardening, and "no-till" methods. Is there a veteran gardener to ask, or a particular forum to go to for these things?
    I tried searching, but I guess I am still learning how best to use the search feature here, because I didn't come up with much. Any help would be appreciated! :-)
    Thanks,
    --Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: My exchange list

• michael67
    16 years ago

UPDATE to my post above. I've been sponsored (THANK YOU!!!) and I found that some veggie seed is surprisingly inexpensive at our local Wal-Mart.

mooncr8zy you are not far from me. Contact me and we can compare notes.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheClays.com

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

I live in Oklahoma and would be happy to sponsor future seedaholics from my area.

Mooncr8zy,if you would, please email me since you don't have an email link to your page, nor a wants or trades list up.

FYI, you can add these easily, info on how courtesy of Sue (chemocurl)

To set up your email link, just go to the bottom on any page here, and click on Member Pages
    Then click on Edit your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences
    You will then probably be asked to login in again.
    Then check the box Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site.

That will place an email link on your member page, making it handy for members (potential traders/sharers) to easily reach you in the future.. There is no need to hunt up a post to find an email addy.

While you are there editing, you might want to place your state abbreviation in the one box provided for the garden zone (and Location). You will find it is often beneficial if members know where you are located......even more so, if/when you maybe want to do some plant trading. It is a postage cost, days in transit, temperature/climate thing to be considered.

Additionally, you can email the Original Poster, by clicking on either their "member name" or "My Page", and then you will see their email link.

Happy Gardening and trading.

Kathy

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Hi all - just popping in to say thanks again for this sponsor program. I am happily growing many of the seeds Jackier sent me and making great trades with the ones I could not use. Ya'll are great!

• khandjo
    15 years ago

I am a newbie in the sense that I am starting over from scratch. I am a refugee from Hurricane Katrina, now living in Seattle, the Great Northwest. I have started a few seeds and hope to grow flowers and food and herbs. Seeds are so expensive I cannot afford to buy very many, so would love to be sponsored. Also, gardening here is so different than New Orleans (although the zones are similar) that I would love a sponsor who could answer my many questions!

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

I'm a newbie and would love a sponsor. I'm located in Omaha, Nebraska. I've started a few sets of seeds so far, but would love to get some new stuff and have someone to talk to that I can get advice from.

Allison

• omm9
    15 years ago

Hello..

Hope I'm not to late..what a great resource! I'm defintely a newbie in need of a sponsor. Veggies and herbs would be wonderful if possible. Many thanks..

omm9

• robin1962_2008
    15 years ago

Hello,I just found this thread.I am a newbie.I have recieved seeds from some members already on the seed exchange. You all have been very generous with me.I have just joined a couple of round robins.Do I still need a sponser?I didn`t know to respond to this thread. Please advise. Robin

• karengarden
    15 years ago

I have been a member for a while but am a newbie to growing from seeds. Normally I buy 6 packs of annuals and a few perennials. But with the cost of gas and plants going up in my area. I have decided to try and start some plants for seeds. I am also planning on putting in a veggie and herb garden for the first time. I would love being sponsered.

Karen

• wilmoth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello I see you Sponsor Angels have been busy thanks so much for sharing ....You are all special Angels to me for all your help with this thread I will take robin 1962 and khandjo please email me with a list of wants...You will need to send a SASBE for your seeds to me all newbies are to send a SASBE to his/her sponsor with return postage....I want to thank all of the sponsors here who have been so generous to everyone you are my special garden angels and I could never have kept this thread going without all of your help dedication and commitment to help all the newbies succeed in sharing the joy of gardening and the beginning of new friendships...............HUGS.............A special thanks goes out to a few of the sponsors I have had dealings with........ you know who you are ........you are my most cherished friends........... and also a special thanks to all the sponsors who have kept up the thread along the way you are all so great to me......... I love you all......... for your hearts are full of kindness and you have been blessed with the gift of sharing...... ..........Donna

• rbrady
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to check in and let everyone know that thelwig55 received her seeds. She emailed me and let me know, but probably forgot to post here.

Which newbies need a sponsor? Maybe someone could do a new list?

Rhonda

• amelia_pepper_lady
    15 years ago

I was one of the newbies that signed up in the original posting. This was a WONDERFUL "exchange" for those of us just starting on the site.

I was lucky to have Becky (ramazz) sponsor me. I'm still planting seeds --- and sharing seeds. I received enough that I am able to plant a bed outside my office that has been completely bare for over 5 years. (It has bothered me every day!) I also shared some seed last night with a young friend.

I can't thank Becky and the other sponsors enough.

Amelia

• karengarden
    15 years ago

Rhonda,

I signed up as a newbie but haven't gotten a response and see that this hasn't been very active.

Karen

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

*waves hand in the air... Anybody wanna sponsor me? :) :)
    I joined mid March and am still 'learning' as I go...

Thanks a bunch,
    Wendy

• wilmoth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be updating the list tomorrow night......... I have to be up early .....I haven't heard from robin 1962 or khandjo yet....please email me with your wish lists.......Allison...Karen and Wendy please post a wants and wishes list for us....ALL....NEWBIES WHO HAVENT BEEN SPONSORED..............Please post a wishes and wants list here.................. so the sponsors know what you like........Thanks.....Donna

• robin1962_2008
    15 years ago

Donna, I did send you an email,I guess it got lost.I`ll try again.Just in case though,my favorite flowers are LILLIES,IRIS,hollyhocks,roses.I`m also looking for double petunias,herbs especially sage,lavender and catnip,veggies especially okra,cucumbers,yellow crookneck squash.I`ll be excited to get anything you send,I love surprises!! Robin

• christieb199
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I am a newbie and I would very much appreciate if I could have a sponsor if the option still exists.

I live in Pittsburgh, Pa- Zone 6.

A little about me- I am 24 years old, soon to be a quarter of a century in 2 months. Boy time is flying by and I am getting old! My finacee and I bought a house 2 1/2 years ago and basically had lots of work on the inside of the house that needed to be complete before I could even think of anything outside.

We build beds last summer around our walkway leading to the house and have not done much else to it since. I have lots of space to fill up!

We were considering putting our house back on the market but with the economy the way it is now, decided against it. I did not have any clue to maintain the house would be such a huge task, not to mention the taxes and needing a new roof :( So needless to say, our extra cash is tight and I have so many plans for the garden that will be postponed yet another year. :( Although I am slowly finding homemade ideas and things to recycle from freecycle and craigslist, to add to garden decor and plants.

If a sponsor out there would love to take me under their wing, it would be so much appreciated. I am a picture lover, and will post pictures of my success or failures (hope not).

Please let me know if something, a present, an SASBE, or anything needs to be sent in exchange.

I do not know if we are allowed to do this or not, if not please someone feel free to remove.
    But here is a picture of me and my most favorite woman in the world.

Thanks,
    Christie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

G'morning everyone!
    Donna ~
    Should I email a wants/wishes list to you directly or post here? I'm confused...lol

Thankyou!!!!!!
    ~Wendy
    sassybutterfly_2008

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

It would be best to post it here, Wendy, that way if someone has something they'd like to send you, it's here :) I tend to check this thread every few days to see if there's something I have that another newbie would like :)

Kathy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Christie,
    I can sponsor you for seeds. I have sent out a bunch of sasbes and people have been more than generous. I was sharing with coworkers but I'm not anymore! I'll email you and set ya up with as much as I can. Lisa

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hiya everyone!
    I had the best time yesterday playin in the dirt and planning my garden ideas :) :) :)

I promise I'll get that list of wants up here.. I just haven't had the time!

My son who has been in and out of the hospital constantly the past 4 years (all during high school) and he has had to be on homebound/tutoring has decided to go to prom tonight. I had 3 days notice lol But we got him a tux and since he doesn't drive yet I guess I'll be driving him back n forth to it tonight down in Atlanta. (ATL traffic....eek!) And today I was w/ my mom up at the hospital to get her another CT scan. She's battling some nasty cancer right now. AND then my other son has a skateboard competition Saturday, and my daughter has her first soccer game on Saturday and there's an arts/crafts festival I wanna go to, and my mom needs us to come over and work in her yard a bit since she can't get out to do it.. then I also gotta go to my brother's house to plant a pink dogwood we bought them. (memorial for the baby they just lost in utero. :( .... ) sooooo my next few days are gonna be SERIOUSLY jampacked! But I'll jump on when I get a lil time and will get that list up for ya hopefully by Sun eve at the latest! :)

Hugs to all and HAPPY FRIDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! woohoooo
    ~Wendy/Sassy

• opusverde
    15 years ago

I apologize! I did not realize an old e-mail address was on my account. That was under the name khandjo. I have tried editing the information but it won't save my changes. I have e-mailed the moderators of this Forum to see if they can fix this problem, but in the meanwhile, I have setup a new account.

Just to be clear -- I posted to this under the name khandjo. That account info is wrong, which is why I didn't receive any of the follow-up e-mails. Please use this account -- opusverde.

Again, sorry! and thanks!

• rbrady
    15 years ago

Hi Karengarden! I will sponsor you for seeds! I sent you an email.

Rhonda

• robin1962_2008
    15 years ago

Donna,I`m putting my envy and post.in the mail tomorrow.I`ve been at my mother`s since Monday.I`m having trouble sending out emails(yahoo)so I thought I`d post here.Thank you so much!! Robin

• g3neenkp
    15 years ago

am i still a newbie? i joined in Dec.

• kilngod
    15 years ago

These are the Newbies still looking for Sponsors:

shasta_2008 z5 Ohio
    mooncr8zy in Tulsa
    jscquarterhorses z7
    nova62 z5
    amyinmo z5 MO
    allisonlwise z4 NE
    omm9 z7 NJ
    karengarden z5 NE
    sassybutterfly_2008 Z7 GA
    g3neenkp z5

opusverde aka khandjo, Sponsor = Wilmoth

Sponsor Away :)
    --Tina

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Also needing Sponsors:

lizardingo z4
    zengeos z5 Maine

• ramazz
    15 years ago

Gosh, all these newbies without sponsors. I still have flower seeds, some are perennials and it might be too late to plant them, but I am willing to take on another newbie or two. I will try to contact jscquarterhorses and sassybutterfly. If mooncr8zy had an e-mail address posted, I would try her, too. Mooncr8zy, if you are interested in flowers, you can e-mail me.

Becky
    ramazz

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Actually, Becky, I live in Oklahoma too, about three hours from mooncr8zy. I'm willing to sponsor her, mentioned above, but she has no email listed. If she'll email me I have several things to share :)

Kathy

• ramazz
    15 years ago

Sounds good. I just looked at the list that kilngod posted of people that hadn't been sponsored. I have heard from sassybutterfly already.

Becky

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I've been adopted!!! woohooo :)
    Thanks Becky~Ramazz !!

~Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• AmyinMO
    15 years ago

Tina/kilngod,

Just thought I'd stop in and mention that I have been sponsored recently by Theresa24 from the OBF group (via the OBF thread), so I can be taken off the list. Thank you for not forgetting about the "unadopted" newbies! :-)

Could anybody hazard a guess on how long it will be, or how much we should know, before us "newbies" become "oldies" and can sponsor someone else?

Is it sort of self-determined once we're comfortable with answering lots of questions, like how trades work and how to navigate the site? Or is there a minimum amount of time being a member on GW (6 months, a year)?

Not that I'm ready to sponsor anyone real soon, lol! Just curious if there was some sort of guideline, so I know what I'm shooting toward. ;-)

Thanks!
    --Amy
    (amyinmo)

• kilngod
    15 years ago

No formal rule that I've ever seen. I figure that people know when they're "ready". When you feel comfortable enough, and have enough seeds to share (for this thread - minimum of 10 seed packs for the deal)...I'd say, go for it.

--Tina
    (who will adopt some shortly - am in a busy patch right now)

PS - Ramazz, it's fine to include perennials. Even if they don't bloom this year, that's okay. Can't have all the fun in one season.

• AmyinMO
    15 years ago

Thanks, Tina! I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'm planning to share with newbies at some point in the not-too-distant future. Several members here have been so generous to share with me, I feel like I should give something back! :-)
    --Amy (amyinmo)

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Just wanted to post that I have sent zengeos some seeds and some seed starting info. So he has been partially sponsored. :)

• deewah
    15 years ago

I'm from the Boston area and have just moved to a new home (With A YARD!). I'm falling in love with gardening but I am as green as they come. Please sponsor me!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hiya everyone,

Becky / Ramazz was my sponsor and let me just say WOW!!!!! She sent me a package packed FULL of some fantastic seeds! It was like Christmas! lol I am so happy!!!!! It really made my day :)
    Thankyou SO very much Becky !!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get some of them planted!

Hugs!
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• christieb199
    15 years ago

I forgot to post here as well but posted in another thread where my sponsor here, we are both involved in the same round robin.

Anyways, ishareflowers sent me an awesome package filled with an extreme amount of seeds. I planted some immediately and will have lots to wintersow in a few months. ishareflowers sent me 70 packs of lots of different seeds, some that I have never even heard of!!

Thanks Lisa! I am going to go post a review, as soon as I find out where to do so.

Christie

• robin1962_2008
    15 years ago

Donna,did you get my envelope and postage?I mailed it on April 26 and haven`t heard from you.I hope all`s well. Robin

• musicaldeity
    15 years ago

If anyone is interested in sponsoring me, I'd love to participate. All my information is on my page... I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

• lifeisgood531
    15 years ago

I am a newbie, and would really enjoy being a part of this...I have just recently found my new hobby in gardening. Theres just something about it that I love...

• davez6
    13 years ago

Hello all! Newbie here from NW Indiana, Zone 6. This is a great wealth of information! Thanks to all! I grow the typical veggies and love hot peppers. I also have 2 structures that I am planting vines up and around to attract humming birds, butterflies, and just for the colorful blooms. I live in town, so removal of a above ground swimming pool left me with a 30'x8' spot for a vegetable garden! I also built a "Bob", named such because there inst a word for it...lol..but its a wooden structure that is my answer to a pergola/deck/bbq area.(that was built largely from wood taken from the pools deck area) I also have a 50'x15' trellis. I have a few plants such as wisteria, clematis, and a trumpet vine growing up them now. Bob and my trellis look quite sparse yet however. I have a lean-to off the garage that was a "pool room", it is getting turned into a greenhouse come spring and research on doing so is what lead me here. Anyone that would like to share their experiences or suggestions (seeds, cuttings?) with me would be appreciated. I would of course reciprocate and keep it going if one wished, as this sounds like a awesome idea. Thanks!

• alexcortez
    13 years ago

Anything that is open pollinated. Perennials best. Dandelions. Walking onions... Amazing world that I am discovering I am starting to collect seeds and even did my first seed swap. Hopefully I will have soon enough seeds to sponsor another newbie. If you are local you are welcome to pick up baby loquat trees.