Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

NEW: Blackjack - 21 sent/21 received

token28001
15 years ago

When I started trading here at GW, I had 5 different varieties of seed. I sent away for my wintersown.org and Trudi sent me some great selections. I also got in on a small swap this fall and received a ton of seeds that I had not thought of ordering for myself. I also like surprises. SO...

Here's the deal:

1. 21 seed packets. Include at least the plant name, color, and appropriate zone. Be sure to put your name on the packet as well. Veggies, flowers, shrubs, trees, all kinds welcome.

2. email me with the subject if you want to participate. you can email me through GW. If you're looking for something in particular, you can ask me to fill your request. I can't make promises since you never know what people might send.

3. Mail your seeds by Jan 5, 2009. Even if you get swamped during the holidays, that gives you a few days into next year to get them out. Be sure to include 3 stamps and a label for return.

4. Once I have received the seeds, I'll sort them out, and send them back to you around February 1 or earlier if I receive all the packaged early.

5. The deadline to join this swap is December 31, 2008.

I'd like to get some newbies in on this as well. Even if you don't have 21 varieties, send what you can and I'll send that number back, or include extras from my own stash when I can. ;)

Thanks. Hit me!

Comments (110)

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi! I have not been swapping much lately, but
    I am ready to jump back in!! Please include me in this one!! - Sharon

• quiltingfox
    15 years ago

I am joining this sounds like fun.

Best to you and happy gardening,
    quiltingfox

• appaloosa909
    15 years ago

I would like to join too... HIT ME!

Andrea
    Appaloosa909

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just checking in again. If you haven't received an email from me with my address, send me another. t.gainey (at) gmail.com

Thanks.

• quiltingfox
    15 years ago

I can sponsor a newbie as I have plenty of seeds. I send in the seeds and the newbie sends in a bubble envelope with their return address and return postage to the host of this swap. So email me or post in red so that I see it, if you would like me to sponsor you.

Hit me!,
    quiltingfox

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Tom,
    I will be mailing my seeds tonight including the seeds to cover diggingdevil. I have also packed an additional 21 to cover another newbie, but if those are not needed you can use them to supplement folks who may not have a full 21 but still want to play.
    Thanks for hosting,
    Alana

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

I'll be mailing my seeds tomorrow and cover soonergrandma plus another newbie OR supplement folks after Ms. Alana OR Tom keep interesting leftovers:)

Deb

I think I have Blackjack:)

• irisheyes66
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness...I'd love to get in on this! As a newbie (both to GW and seed collecting), I don't have much to offer, but maybe someone would be willing to sponsor me? I can send a few packs of (white) althea seeds, since mine really flourished this year...I also have plenty of cynanchum laeve (aka honeyvine milkweed), and a small amount of commercial seeds. I wish I had learned about seed collecting at the beginning of the summer, instead of the end of autumn--because then I'd have plenty of seeds to trade *sigh*

token, please let me know if I can participate--I'd enjoy being a part of this swap!

Thanks,
    Susan in Kansas

• wind_red
    15 years ago

I am done packing the seeds!!!! whooo hoooo~~~~

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

austinhanasmom - Thank you so much for sponsoring me.

irisheyes66 - I'm with you. I am just beginning to learn about saving seeds of a lot of plants. I robbed my neighbors cannas this year, and after I read about hosta seed, I was out in my coat trying to find seed pods that might still be attached. I saved some purple Datura seeds, but with those big old seed pods it was pretty obvious. I have always known about veggies, but not flowers.

Tom - Thanks for doing this. Carol

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

austinhanasmom - Thank you so much for sponsoring me.

irisheyes66 - I'm with you. I am just beginning to learn about saving seeds of a lot of plants. I robbed my neighbors cannas this year, and after I read about hosta seed, I was out in my coat trying to find seed pods that might still be attached. I saved some purple Datura seeds, but with those big old seed pods it was pretty obvious. I have always known about veggies, but not flowers.

Tom - Thanks for doing this. Carol

• akup_a
    15 years ago

I've resisted & resisted asking for more seeds, afraid I'd get overwhelmed & give up. Then our very own Mr. Token sent me an email and dangled the seed swap in front of me. My resolve is broken.
    I collected some seeds from my garden but since I didn't want all of them, I threw them in the fire! I didn't know about seed trading back then :( So I have only one type of seed that I saved.
    Is there still room for another newbie? I'll have to check out the rules for a swap bbefore I do anything else.
    Thanks, Vickie

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to see you Vickie. Just send what you have or can and 4 stamps for the return. Lots of people are sending extras for the newbies who want to participate in a swap. We've got plenty. Even if they don't, I do. LOL

I'll send you my address. You've got til Jan 5 to update your trade list and send your SASBE/seeds.

Tom

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

I'm a newbie, just a few weeks now, Janine gave me your link, what a fun idea, I'm in. Chris

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Hope a sponsor will take me under his/her wings. Chris

• jaynine
    15 years ago

got you covered, chris.

• divahethr
    15 years ago

Hey hi sign me up please and I can sponsor too thanks. =)

• pufftrinket
    15 years ago

I'm in. I won't have consistent internet access for another week, but after that I hope to be on almost daily. Is that OK?

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you've emailed me or posted here and haven't received an email, be sure to let me know. I think I've gotten to everyone, but I may have missed one or two here and there.

I also started an UPDATE thread for when I receive packages. Be sure to check that out every now and again to be sure yours came through. Gmail is a real pain trying to keep all the emails straight, so that thread will be the best record of who got what. Thanks.

Tom

Anybody else wanting to join, you've got til Dec 31 to let me know and Jan 5 to send your seeds :)

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Hey, Tom, let me know if there are any other newbies needing sponsored. I can do another mailing to you with their "cover" :)

Kathy

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks, Tom, for the emails. I'm in, too! This is probably one of the last trades I'm gonna do to try to fill in a little more and give away the extras I have. Great idea for a swap!

I'll have to go back through and catch up on all the messages as soon as I can.

Blessings,
    Angela

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi! I have been busy packing up my seeds today! YAY! They should go out in tomorrows mail. ~ Sharon

• appaloosa909
    15 years ago

Tom,
    I mailed my seeds today. I put in some extras, please add them to the "extra pot" or if someone needs to fill out their seeds to make up 21.

Andrea
    Appaloosa909

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Hi, I would like to join in the fun. An email is on it's way.

Nancy

• conniesc
    15 years ago

Hi I would love to join but I am so new to gardening and seed collecting that I do not have 21 seeds packets. Would someone be willing to sponsor me and I will return the favor in the fall. I should have some nice thing available then. Thanks to all and happy holidays.

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm emailing you connie. I've got you covered. A few have sent extra seeds as well.

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

Again, please check my math:

Host >> "Newbie"
    poisondartfrog >> diggindevil
    kristlindgren >> yotetrapper
    micyrey >> plsell
    austinnhanasmom >> sonnergrandma
    jaleeisa >> dancinginthegarden
    esiuol >> jworth
    dem_pa >> woodhawk
    austinnhanasmom >> irisheyes66
    poisondartfrog >> akup_a
    ramazz >> grolikecrazy
    jaynine >> conniesc
    quiltingfox >>
    divahethr >>
    jaleeisa >>

Still room for newbies...Take a seat:)

Thanks Tom for hosting -

Deb

• seedmama
    15 years ago

I'm in. And I'll take a newbie, please.

• v1rt
    15 years ago

token28001,

Thanks for inviting me over. Please include me as a newbie. It's my first time also and I don't even know how to start. I also don't have enough seeds.

Based from your email to me, I only need 1 SASBE and 4 stamps. Since it's my first time doing this, how do I send the SASBE to you? Forgive me for now :)

Thanks!

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I sent you an email, v1. Welcome aboard.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok, can I join too? I didn't think I could but I am sure I can...I will get the seeds fixed up to send...

Please send info...
    :) Fran

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

I would like to join this one. :)

• slo_garden
    15 years ago

I'd like to play, too. Emailing you. I have only edibles (mostly tomatoes). How do I find growing zone information for them?

• gammy2
    15 years ago

I would like to participate ..these are fun. Helen

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Just wondering how many more has joined.
    And to BUMP to page 1
    Dorothy ;)

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've got 5 packages here I didn't open today. You can see whose have been received in the UPDATE thread. I'll sort these 5 tomorrow over coffee.

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Oh good ,I found this thread again! and a great big thanks to Jaynine for sponsoring me! How you do all keep track of the threads you're involved in? Is there a bookmarking way that you do? Chris.

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Hey Chris
    Get a notebook and write them down (A REALLY BIG NOTEBOOK) LOL
    Good question. Is there an easier way???
    Dorothy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Chris, I resorted to an excel file. Had to 'cause the trades grew faster than my memory could keep track of lol. I put all the info into the spreadsheet, date it started, date I ship and date I receive, items I need to ship, GW ID of the other trader and their address all in separate columns. Plus for the RR trades, I put all the info as to what the trade is about, the address I need to mail it to and then I can just quickly check the sheet and I'm up to date :) When I mail a package, I make sure to update it so I don't forget if I sent or not. Takes a couple seconds to update, but at least I know it has been sent.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Way cool dirtdiggin, do u have a master clean copy you could send me?
    I should would love to have something easy and all in one place, I have about 5 notebooks and they each have some kind of trade info on them, also if you could include a sample so I can get the general FULL idea of you spread sheet I would appreciate it....:) If you don't mind sharing that is :)

Thanks,

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There's also, on the right hand side of each post, a way to "clip" articles. I used to do that when I started, but I finally resorted to just printing the emails.

Oh, LAST DAY TO SIGN UP! Seeds need to be mailed by Jan 5!

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Sure Fran, I'll get it copied and forwarded to you :) It makes life so much easier!

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Sure Fran, I'll get it copied and forwarded to you :) It makes life so much easier!

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

hmmmm sorry about that it rejected and I went back to check and it wasn't there...now there are two :o/

15 years ago

Better late than never... getting my seeds ready to mail monday....

It's been quiet on this thread lately... how's everyone doing this NEW year?

Blessings,
    Angela

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow, Can't wait to get the seeds back to see what comes back... always SOOOO exciting.

Won't be much longer now huh?

PS Tom, if no one wants those Coreopsis tinctoria I sent in you can throw them back in as one of my 21 I have since had a request for them, go figure ain't it always the way? LOL, BUT if someone wanted them in this swap that is ok too.

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

My seeds are packed up and will go out in Monday's mail, just in time for the deadline.

Things are good here Angela, TY for asking. :)

Very busy with sowing, pruning, and garden cleanup. In my climate this is a very good time to do all that. Just sowed several different culinary herbs yesterday. :)

Also busy planning out which food seeds I'll need with me, when I leave here and move someplace with a climate that's approximately Zone5. I will have a pretty short season, so I'll need vastly different veg/fruit varieties from what I've been growing here in Zone11.

The place I'm moving to is pretty remote and has a very high cost of living, so buying or swapping for the seeds after I move is not such a great option. I'd spend a lot more if I did that.

It will certainly be an adventure! On the one hand, I won't be able to grow my own ginger root, or grow things year round outdoors, anymore. On the other hand, I WILL be able to go skiing which I cannot do here, and I'll be able to grow alpine strawberries, which totally refuse to grow here. Gotta look at the blessings. :)

Like the rest of you, I'm looking forward to seeing what goodies I get in this swap!
    :)

15 years ago

Well, I guess I'm not technically late, as I did get them off by the deadline. :-)

Yes, Grovespirit, I bet it will be a shock making such a big change. I sure hope you get plenty of what you'll new for your new gardening zone having a MUCH shorter season than you're used to! I like what you said, "Gotta look at the blessings." I couldn't agree more! It kind of sounds exciting, but I'm sure you'll miss "home", too.

Blessings,
    Angela

15 years ago

I had to bump this thread before it gets lost forever... LOL

Blessings,
    Angela

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Did i miss dirdigging's excel spread sheet, i reaally wanted that, i need a great system to help me keep track of things, and do my lables and germination info. I'd be so grateful. Chris, will send you an email for it.