Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: Incredible Edibles (Jan.) - Winter Sowing

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 4, 08 at 14:43

This is the January Swap which will be for seeds - hopefully seeds for edibles that are appropriate for winter sowing. I am posting it early so you can think about it during this busy holiday season.

A little over two years ago I had no idea what winter sowing was and then when I found out what it is, I thought, "No way that will work" - but it does!
Just post here if you want to join in on the swap. Do so with a commitment to following through!
I am listing some sites you can go to and read more about winter sowing.
GardenWeb has a winter sowing board: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/
and Winter Sown.org gives lots of information - take a look at the FAQ section for specifics about zones and types of plants:
http://wintersown.org/
You will find lots of enthusiatic winter sowers to cheer you on!

The theory behind winter sowing is that the seeds germinate at the time that is right for them and then they grow under some pretty unpredictable weather conditions. All of this results in so tough little plants - not a lot of pampering required for these seedlings. Most herbs do well with winter sowing and some other edibles, too. I have even winter sown tomatoes - the variety was Purple Cherokee Tomatoes and they were winter sown on March 9!

You basically plant the seeds in a container that allows sunlight to reach the seeds and some moisture to go in (which can be from rain or snow) and some moisture to flow out as well as allowing for air to reach the plants. It's sort of a mini-greenhouse and it allows you to recycle things like milk jugs or deli/bakery trays that you will use for the sowing. When the seedlings get large enough and the weather is cooperating, the plants are ready to put in the ground or in the type of container you use throughout the Spring and Summer.

So, here are the specifics.
I will match partners shortly after Dec. 16 and then you and your partner will exchange mailing information with each other through e-mail.
Mail your seeds by Jan. 10.
Along with your seeds, send a gardening thought, tip, or verse to wish your seed swapping pal a Happy New Year!

Post when you receive and then you can let us know what you will be winter sowing from your new seeds!
Seeds must be "edibles" - vegetables, fruits, edible herbs, etc.
Send either two new full packets of seeds or the comparable number from "not quite full" packets which can be things you harvested from your garden, received in trade, or used some of and no longer have the full packet. All seeds should be dated 2007 or 2008. ("Not full packets" might require you to send 4-6 packets in order to equal what what be in two new, full packets.)
I am keeping the required number of packets low because I think some people will be trying winter sowing for the first time and you may not want to plant 50 containers when you first try this. I admit, during the winter of 2007-2008, I planted over 100 containers (herbs, vegetables, flowers, and other types of plants.) It's sort of addicting and it allows you to get started on gardening way before traditional planting.

I pulled a few of the seeds named as appropriate for winter sowing from the Wintersown.org site to give you some ideas.

Vegetables

Allium family (onions, shallots, garlic, chives)
Beans
Beets
Brassica family (cabbage, broccoli, kale, collards, etc)
Carrots
Swiss Chards
Corn (select an "early" type as it can germinate at lower temps)
Curcubit family (cukes, squash, pumpkins, melons, gourds)
Lettuce
Nightshade family (eggplant, tomatoes, peppers)
Peas
Radishes
Spinach

Herbs

Chamomile
Fennel
English Lavender
Common Horehound
Lemon Balm
Mentha - Mint (Spearmint, Peppermint, etc.)
Bee Balm
Oregano
Salad Burnet
Thyme

I will be happy to answer questions as they come up so I hope you will want to join in and winter sow once again or for the first time!!!

Here are some of my winter sown "babies" from the winter of 2007-2008 to give you some incentive. Aren't they pretty?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Happy Holidays!
Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: Incredible Edibles (Jan.) - Winter Sowing

Sign me up please. :)

Love the milk jug idea!!! I use all kinds of things for seed starting, but never thought to use a milk jug like that! :)

o

I think i can try! Sign me up!

Kamil

o

Sign me up also please!

Thanks,
Joan

o

Yippee! That makes four of us winter sowers so far.
Glad to have you join in:
ejmoore510
kamiljablo
southerncharm1

With all the work getting ready for the holidays I may not check in here every day, but know that I will be excited each time I see someone signed up!

Jeanne

o

Oh sign me up please :)

Toni

o

Jeanne, how many packets are you sending your partner? You may have said in your post, but I couldn't find it. I'm going to do the Incredible Heirloom swap in Jan., so I'm trying to see if I have enough to participate in both swaps. Got to make sure I have enough seeds left for my own wintersowing needs ; )

Thanks,
Bonnie

o

Oooops! I reread your post and found the answer (2). That sounds doable, so count me in!

Bonnie

o

This is going to be so much fun, I've already started collecting my milk jugs so I can get some Winter Sowing started. :) I've already started some herbs, but not enough for me to be content. lol

o

Hi all,

Count me in, newbie here, although this will be my 2nd year winter sowing. I just want to do what I can to further the cause. It is an addiction, but a great one!

La Donna

o

I'd like to try this, too! Should be fun.

o

Sounds fantastic. Please sign me up as well.

Thanks,
Amanda

o

I'm in. I'm glad for the low number of seeds. I am rather new so dont have enough to do 12-21 packets like on some swaps...

o

yotetrapper, sending you an email. :)

o

You can count me in for this one also. Kim

o

I am free for Jan. so count me in too.
I need some pointers on WS, it has been a long time since I REALLY did it, I have done a few things here and there but nothing major in a LONNNNNNG time. It has been at least 5 years maybe a little longer.
I think I forgot how and what to do/start. Gosh I feel old!

:)Fran

o

I'd like to sign up! Can't wait till spring.

o

Hey all,

I haven't WS for 3 yrs and want to do some things this year.
Count me in!!

Andrea

o

So happy to pop in and see all the new faces (new to me, that is!!!) Welcome aboard.

Our list now includes:
ejmoore510
kamiljablo
southerncharm1
dirtdiggin
nighalttransplant
chitownladyd
carolynp
spookycharles
yotetrapper
plant_one_on_me
ncgardengirl
plantman50
andreaz6wv

Keep 'em coming!
Jeanne

o

I LOVE WS! Sign me up-I've got more seeds than space. Count me in!

o

All I'm gonna say is WOW! What a turn out! LOL

o

So busy with the winter wonderland and tomato swap, I almost forgot to sign up here! Please add me on! I hope to learn some more about winter sowing from this! Christy

o

Ok, I've been going and back $ forth over whether to participate. Not that winter sowing isn't fun! I just don't want to overextend myself. DH said the magic words, "If it's fun for you, do it!" Please sign me up!

I winter sowed for the first time last year. It was great fun. It was my best year ever with lettuces.

o

booberry85, sounds like you have a super husband!
Yup, great turn out and another week to sign up so maybe some more will decide to join in. We would love to have you winter sow with us!!!
Welcome to the swap, jessew, bonechikchris and booberry 85.
What fun!
Jeanne

o

I've never winter sown before. Would LOVE to give it a try. Please Sign me up!

Thanks,

Nancy

o

Hello
I would love to join in. I have never winter sown before and Iam a newbie again.
Thanks Lisa

o

"putting in toe"...okay I'm in..I don't know what I'm doing..but I'm in.."L"

o

Winter sowing is a lot of fun and a little addicting once you get the hang of it. I think Jeanne listed the link above, but there are lots of friendly people on the Winter Sowing Forum that are very helpful. Check out the link and the FAQ section.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

o

oh goody, another addiction..."L"...

o

Glad to have you join in, luvgardening2, lysa39, and lindaruzicka!

Our list now includes:
ejmoore510
kamiljablo
southerncharm1
dirtdiggin
nighalttransplant
chitownladyd
carolynp
spookycharles
yotetrapper
plant_one_on_me
ncgardengirl
plantman50
andreaz6wv
jessew
bonechikchris
booberry 85
luvgardening2
lysa39
lindaruzicka ... and of course, me!
sandlapper_rose

The more the merrier! (And booberry85 is right. The people on the Winter Sowing Forum are friendly and fun and what I especially love is when the seeds start to sprout and we all post and are so excited and everyone gets excited right along with you!!!)

Jeanne

o

Just bringing this back up to the top in case someone still wants to sign up. Sign up by the end of the day on the 16th (Tues.) After that I will be posting the names of who you send to here so come back to take a look, then exchange names and addresses with your Winter Sowing Pal.
Have a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

Please include me in this swap!!!

Thanks,
Joan

o

Glad to have your join us, Joan. This swap will be lots of fun. I will see if we have anyone else join in and will post Winter Sowing pals on Wednesday.
Remember that along with your seeds, you should send a gardening thought, tip, or verse to wish your seed swapping pal a Happy New Year!
Be back soon!
Jeanne

o

Here are the swap partners for this swap. Please exchange mailing information with each other through e-mail and post when you receive. Happy Holidays to all!

sandlapper_rose <---> carolynp
spookycharles <---> chitownladyd
southerncharm1 <---> plant_one_on_me
ejmoore510 <---> yotetrapper
luvgardening2 <---> plantman50
booberry 85 <---> bonechikchris
jessaw <---> kamiljablo
ncgardengirl <---> lysa39
andreaz6wv <---> lindaruzicka
dirtdiggin <---> nighalttransplant

Thanks for joining in on this fun swap!
Jeanne

o

Wow! You snuck up on me Jeanne! Usually I'm one of the ones begging to get partners early. I emailed Christy.

o

My partner and I have been in contact and are working out the kinks. :D Thanks for hosting this Jeanne, you're doing an excellent job!!! :)

o

Hello everyone! I want to thank each of you for participating in these swaps. I am going to do 2 drawings for each of these months. :)

December Participants:
Donna(Sunnyk)
Christy(Bonechickchris)
Joan(ejmoore) and
Becky(booberry)
Nancy(Luvgardening2)
Toni(dirtdiggin)
Kamil(kamiljablo)
Fran(ncgardengirl)

January Participants:
ejmoore510
kamiljablo
dirtdiggin
nighalttransplant
chitownladyd
carolynp
spookycharles
yotetrapper
plant_one_on_me
ncgardengirl
plantman50
andreaz6wv
jessew
bonechikchris
booberry 85
luvgardening2
lysa39
lindaruzicka
sandlapper_rose

Decembers Winner is KamilJablo!!! Congrats!!!
Decembers 2nd Winner is Becky/Booberry85!!! Congrats!!!

Januarys Winner is Spookycharles!!! Congrats!!!
Januarys 2nd Winner is highalttransplant!!! Congrats!!!

Please send me your mailing address through my email and I will have these sent out on Friday. Again, thank you all very much for participating!!! :)

o

I won! I won! I won! Ok, sometimes I'm a big kid about things. LOL! Thank You! Emailing you, Kathy.

o

LOL That's the fun of it!!!

o

CONGRATS to the winners! YAY!

Also, I just emailed my swap partner.

Nancy

o

I sent an email to my partner and got an answer...now I'm going to emal her and get to know her a little better...I just love swaps!

o

Woo Hoo! Send an email to my partner also. Now, just need to start planning!

Joan

o

hey Joan, how are ys?

o

Grats you guys! I'm so excited about this one! Thanks Jeanne!

o

I'm a WINNER!!! Yippee, I never win anything!

I have emailed my partner, and checked out their want list. Now I just need to go through my seedbox!

Bonnie

o

Hey Joan, I sent you an email wednesday night, but you must not of seen it, because you sent me one on thursday that sounded as though you hadn't got mine first. I replied to yours yesterday, and was just wondering if you got that one?

Angela

o

As I try to dig myself out of this mess around here that is supposed to turn into Christmas in a few days... LOL... I decided to mail carolynp's seeds while I am in town today. Hopefully I can park somewhere near the post office.
Merry Christmas to all. I will stop in here to check on postings every few days. This is a wonderful group and I hope everyone has fun with the swap. We have had warm temps lately - I think it needs to cool off a little before I winter sow.
Congratulations to the prize winners!
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I'm impressed. I wouldn't have braved the Post Office on friday. I've been avoiding the PO! I just got my seeds organized for my partner. I'm having a hard time keeping to the limits set!

Best Wishes to everyone for the New Year!

o

Hey partner, just checking in and see you said you emailed....my email is going on the fritz or something...didn't get your email. I'll email you right now. Let me know if you receive it :o/

Sorry folks, we've been up to our ears in snow...snowed in, power out off and on and it's been crazy!!!!!

o

Hey Linda! I'm hanging in there. Hope you and yours are having a good holiday! Angela, I didn't receive your emails. :( Can you please send again?

Happy Holidays All!

Joan

o

Just checking to see if anyone has heard from or knows where lysa39 is? I emailed her and I haven't heard anything yet.
Waiting patiently :).....OK, REALLY I AM NOT,,,,LISAAAAAAAAA????? Where are youuuuu????? I am ready to play, come out, come out where ever you are....hehe.
Don't cha wanna come out and play? (ewww, that was creepy just reminded myself of the Chucky movies....yuck!)

OK, I WILL sit and wait patiently for Lisa...I hope you are out enjoying the Holidays.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODYand HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE I HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYS THIS SEASON

:) Fran

o

Ok Joan, I sent you another one. Might want to check your deleted folder, as sometimes I find email from GWers in there too :)

o

Also Fran, out here in PNW alot of folks have had power and cable out for the last week (we have, lol). Lisa might just be stuck right now.

o

Wow Carol, that sucks! I am hoping she was just busy with the Holidays and nothing else. I wouldn't want it to be anything in the way of tradgic....but you very well maybe right and she is stuck in that grid too. I sure hope this is NOT the case though.

I am still waiting to her from her, Jeanne, what happens IF I don't here from her? (sniff, sniff) Will I be out of a partner?

o

Fran, If you don't hear back from your pal, I will be happy to do a trade with you - I have plenty of seeds. Let's see first if it is a lack of power problem or if there might need to be another person who needs to be rematched.
I sure hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I think even with bad weather, fewer visitors, fewer presents, illness, or whatever... Christmas is always special! Kind of like the Whos in Whoville who didn't have presents one year... Christmas comes anyway and makes us feel good.
Carolyn, I mailed your seeds right before Christmas so if they haven't made it there yet, they should be there soon. As it turned out, instead of heading to the post office in all that nonsense that day like I had planned, I just put plenty of stamps on the envelope and let our mail carrier pick it up. (Now why didn't I think of that to begin with...I was crazy to think of heading to the post office!)
Jeanne

o

Yes Becky! Don't worry, I am having the same problem with adhering to the limits hehe! :)
I hope everyone had a nice Christmas!
Christy

o

Joan did you get my last email? I dont know why your not getting them?

o
RE: true confessions of a mad gardener

Ok, I've been a bad kid. Although I have still been trading for seeds since Thanksgiving, I have not put any away in their appropriate place! So I spent some time today to try and get things back in order. I got tired of doing so BEFORE I got everything put away. Not only that but I went to reach for some seed envelopes, I found another big envelope filled with seeds!!! I'm so out of control!

Hope everyone enjoyed/ is enjoying their holidays!

o

For the prize winners I have sent out Becky and Bonnies prize packs.

Kamil & Spookycharles I'm still needing your snail mail addys sent to me so I can get your prize packs sent out. :)

I'm still getting my partners (plant_one_on_me) seeds together. I should have it all together by the end of the week and possibly mailed off around then too. :)

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! :)

o

Boobeery, I'm glad I'm not the only one!.."L".

o

Wow, lots of mail in my mailbox today and one of the things that I received was my swap from Carolyn. Carolyn, thank you so much for the seeds. I can tell that you took particular care to search for some special ones for me.
If I don't get back on here before New Year's, Happy New Year's to all who are participanting in the swap!
Jeanne

o

Okay, I was about to post that I sent out Dirtdiggin's seeds today, then I reread the instructions. I'm sorry I forgot to include a gardening tip, or verse for my partner. That's what I get for joining so many swaps at once. I can't keep all of the instructions straight. Maybe I'll start printing them out when I sign up, so I don't mess up again.

Please forgive my boneheadedness,
Bonnie

o

Bonnie, I have taken to printing out the instructions AND keeping a calendar in my craft room just to keep track of the swaps, round robins and trades....can we say addiction???

o

Anyone who forgot to send a gardening tip or verse can certainly post one here to share with all of us. No problem at all, Bonnie.
Jeanne

o

My seeds are packaged and ready to be sent...hopefully getting to the PO today. Kim

o

I'm afraid I don't know any garden poetry, LOL, but since this is my third year of wintersowing, I can share a few of the lessons I've learned so far.

1) Once you wet the potting soil, it will compact, so either put in 4 or 5", or plan on adding more after you wet it.

2) I use colored electrical tape for labels. It comes in white, yellow, red, etc., and write with a Sharpie permanent marker. The lesson here is put in on the bottom of the container BEFORE you add the dirt and wet it down. Otherwise, it won't stick to the wet container.

3) This lesson may not apply to everyone, but where I live it is VERY windy in the spring. The first year, I lost a couple of containers, ended up chasing them around the backyard trying to scoop up the dirt and seeds, and put them back in the container, without much success. Then my neighbor that works in the restaurant business, gave me a few crates to put my containers in. Not only did it keep them from blowing around the yard, but it made it much easier in the spring to move anything frost tender (like basil, marigolds, tomatoes, etc.) into the garage if we had a late frost.

I hope those of you trying wintersowing for the first time have much success this year!!!

Bonnie

o

LOL Bonnie, me too oops :)

I'll get some tips together or something and post :)

Toni

o
RE: Food for Thought

Some food for thought with the coming new year.

Here is a little Native American saying.
>
> A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he felt.
>
> He said "I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart.
>
> One is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other is the loving, compassionate one".
> The grandson asked him, "Which wolf will win the fight in your heart?"
> The grandfather answered, "The one I feed."

o
RE: NEW: Gardening Wisdom

I stumbled on this today & really liked it.

"An addiction to gardening is not all bad when you consider all the other choices in life."-----Cora Lea Bell

Here are some of my favorite exerts on Gardening Wisdom from a gardening forum I visit:

1. I've re-learned that plant's do indeed require a great deal less water than the average tropical fish to survive
2. I've learned that if I wait on a spring frost, it's nearly too late to plant anything!
3. Gardening ain't pretty...
I'm pretty sure all the photos in those big glossy gardening books are made up.
4. That 5' 5 1/2" gardeners should not plant pole beans on the new 7' fence (this goes for 53" gardeners with 8 poles too!)
5. Never lick a blister bug.
6. I have learned not to try to tell God how to fix something when I ask for His help.
He can handle it just fine without my tutorage.
7. I learned that you can never predict the conditions you're gonna have from year to year
8. I learned that when you create a new garden, no matter what your plans might be for the plot, you can't convince a cat that you haven't just expressly dug her the world's biggest litter box.
9. When there is a lot of rain, the weeds will grow at 3 times the rate of the vegetables.
10. Sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong, but no one wants to hear when I am right.
11. Do not plant 23 cherry tomato plants. Ever.
12. I learned that rabbit fences do not keep out deer. A crazy woman running up to the garden will. (This one was mine I posted)

o

TY so much for the wonderful seeds Jeanne and for letting me join this as a newbie! You totally rock!!

o

You are very welcome, Carolyn. I hope to swap with you again.
Bonnie, your tip #2 is a great one. Several times I have either not stuck my tape on the bottom of the winter sowing container before filling it with soil and watering it, or I have not written a number on the tape yet. All of that is much easier when the milk jug is empty and dry. LOL
Becky, I laughed when I read your #3. Maybe those gardening book pictures are "made up" and that is why my gardens never look like them!
I so badly wanted to winter sow today - it was a beautiful day, but I finally cut back some of the dead stuff in one of my flower beds and got that cleaned up instead. It was in the 70s today so I am afraid that if I plant too early my seeds will be all confused. I will start in Jan. regardless of the temperatures.
I planted spinach, pansies, radishes, and parsley late in fall and they are growing just fine, but they are not in winter sowing containers. They are just potted and planted out in the open.
Hope everyone is having fun with this swap. If anyone has not heard from her swap partner (with mailing address) by Jan. 8th please let me know. Seeds were supposed to be mailed by the 10th but I know you can't do that without an address. If no e-mail response from the partner by Jan. 8, I will reassign you or be happy to be a swap partner once again. I want everyone who signed up to be able to participate
Jeanne

o

Okay, this is for my trading partner :) but you can all peak hehe...

We started using the Lasanga gardening method two seasons ago, but only got it really going this past year. We were able to plant a huge amount of vegetables in only a 10 x 25 section. Our garden was the talk of the island. There wasn't another gardener that was able to grow zucchini...but ours thrived!

I'm sure you all have your local weed pests as we do...but our goal was to make a nearly maintenance free garden. During the Summer months we have lots going on with our crafts and such, so I decided to find some black landscape fabric. Found a big roll that is nearly 250 feet by 4 feet wide. Instead of just planting into the soil, we placed the landscaping fabric ON TOP of the lasagna layers and pinned it down. We cut holes where each plant was to be planted and planted through the fabric. We had ZERO weed problems, the fabric warmed the soil and held in the moisture during the heat.

Hope it helps someone as it did us :)

o

Where did you go Joan?

o

What I have learned for Florida gardening thus far...

1. Never start your garden at the end of Spring when you live in Florida.

2. Bugs are hungriest during the beginning of summer. (see#1)

3. Never start a fall garden in the fall, it's hurricane season...

4. Don't wear flip flops to weed in the rain... ;)

o

LOL on the crazy woman running up to the garden booberry85!
That was me last Spring :)

We had just finished planting our garden (first one where we live now) and had no fencing. Well we have quite the supply of the wild 4 legged neighbors. But they left the garden alone and one of our neighbor friends brought us some 6 foot fencing explaining what would happen if we didn't put it up.

After completing the installation of the fence, hubby cut a temporary gate or doorway in the fencing. I was out admiring my newly thriving tomatoes and squash, hot peppers, pole beans, sunflowers etc and decided to go in the house for a cup of coffee and didn't worry about the gate 'cause I would be right back outside.

About 15 minutes or so went by and I returned to admire the plants again...focused in on them and they were GONE!!!! I mean GONE!!! I looked across the street and here was a lovely young doe, looking at me and I sware she had a smile on her face. She ate everything down to stems, including the sunflowers and HOT peppers! Needless to say, our late start on the garden this past season became a few weeks later :)

o

Kathy,

I received my seeds from the drawing today. Thanks so much!

Becky

o

Hi all,

I am sooo excited!! I was at Smith and Hawkin's today and got a beautiful watering can(30% off). It was still WAY too much money, but I had to have it. I was there yesterday, but went back. Love that store :)
I also got a seed sower and the cutest garden giftset for my son for his birthday in a few months.

I plan on getting my seeds together for the swap and getting it mailed out Monday!!

Andrea

o

Ohhh YEAH!!!! My seeds arrived today :) Thank you Bonnie!!!! I'm so excited to start winter sowing!!! WOW great varieties!!! I can't wait!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)

Toni

o

Hey, am i too late, I want a partner too! Sending you an email for details. Chris

o

Hi Chris,

Partners were assigned for this swap a couple weeks ago. However, there's still time to sign up for the Incredible Edible Tomato swap though! Also, the Sunny Side of Life swap and Cupid's Heirlooms swaps should be having sign ups soon. Hope you join us! We're a fun group to hang around.

Becky

Christy, your package went out in the mail today!

o

Toni, I received my seeds today. Nice selection, and all of them were things I really wanted!!! Thank you SO MUCH! Yeah, for awesome trade partners!!!

Can't wait to start wintersowing now! All I'm waiting on is for hubby to go back to work, and the kids to go back to school. I do let the kids do a couple of their own containers, but I really prefer to WS all by myself. If the kids help, I make careless mistakes, like mislabeling containers, and if DH is around, he is horrified that I am playing with dirt in the kitchen. Hopefully, by the end of next week I can get started.

Anyone already wintersowing?

Bonnie

o

Ok, you're killing me here! What loot did people get?

~The IE busy body~
:)

o

mine will be sent out on Monday...

o

Okay, Booberry, I didn't post a list, since I didn't want those that haven't received their seeds yet to be jealous, but since you insist, here goes:

Bean, 'Red Noodle'
Carrot, 'Jaune de Doubs Yellow'
Pepper, 'Quadrato Rosso D'Asti'
Tomato, 'Italian Market Wonder'
Tomato, 'Oxheart'

Awesome list, huh?
Thank you again, Toni (dirtdiggin)!!!
Bonnie

o

yes Bonnie THAT is an AWESOME LIST!!! Woohooo, it's great to get things you really want huh?
Bet those Red Noodles will look great next year. Very cool indeed!

o

That is great loot!

o

I got my seeds from my swap partner Kim (plant_one_on_me)
Saturday. :)

Scarlet runner beans
Lemon Bee Balm
Marjoram
Hyssop Blue
Echinacea
Italian Market Wonder Tomato
Opalka Tomato
Brads Black Heart Tomato
Cherokee Purple Tomato

:) Very pleased with these. Thanks so much Kim!!! :) Yours should be there in a few days.

o

Kathy, glad the seeds made it to you safe and sound. Kim

o

Sorry booberry, I didn't list my loot either lol :oD

Bonnie sent me an awesome batch of herbs and tomatoes and one extra that I've really been wanting, so here goes....

Mediterranean Oregano
Rosemary
Sweet Marjoram
Creeping Thyme
Opalka Tomato
Kelloggs Breakfast Tomato

And....

Black Snapdragons

I'm so excited to WS. Thank you SOOOO much! I LOVE Herbs!!!I'm so looking forward to having little sprouts spring from the ground...I have Spring Fever!!! It's been difficult to catch DH before he throws the milk jugs and juice bottles in the recycle bin, but I've succeeded. Gotta get them cut and ready, so I can WS. So is it safe yet to WS or should I wait a while...and how long if I need to wait? We're right in the midst of our coldest time, but we don't very often get down to freezing weather. We've had a pretty bad last few weeks with snow, which we NEVER (famous last words) get, but it's pretty much been a mild - medium frost.

We just received word yesterday that we have permission to put in a HUGE community garden and I have about 6 volunteers, so far, to help set it all up and maintain it. There is an area in amongst the deer infested...err inhabited island that has about a 15 foot high fence and probably 40' x 80' and was originally used for a community garden. Hasn't been used for years, so it will be a wonderful opportunity to sow the abundance of seeds that I've been acquiring and help to teach others as well as enable our friends and neighbors to enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables. YEAH!!!! We'll finally have room for those gigantic Atlantic Pumpkins this year!!! Ohhh and all the hubbards I've collected seed for and other winter squash. I can't wait :)

o

Do anyone know when I can start winter sowing? I live IN New Jersey, slightly inland from the shore, and am between 6b and 7a. Do I have to wait a bit, or can I start now?This is my first time winter sowing, so I do not want to mess it up!

I know I should first start the early spring crops, like lettuces, broccoli, cauli, herbs, chard, type veggies. Is it ever too early to start sowing or does it not matter? I am really itching to plant something!

I have this awesome container I found that used to hold bags of prezels from my mom, it is a big clear container, but it is like 2 or 3 gallons big and nice and tall! SO I am sure that will be a great container to start with!

BTW, Becky, your seeds are all packed up and ready to go! They will be going out in Monday's Mail! Christy

o

Christy,
Here is a web page on Winter Sowing that should help you.
http://wintersown.org/wseo1/WS_Database_Z6.html
You will think it is all flowers, but as you scroll down you will see dates for herbs and vegetables. For example, you will see some reported tomatoes winter sown in Jan., Feb. and Mar. Same with broccoli and lettuce. The chart is just a guide and is not complete - I believe it's based on what is reported to the winter sowing group. I hope that is of some help. Anyone in a different zone, just look for the section relating to your zone. Another option is to post on the winter sowing section of GardenWeb and ask. I tend to be able to sow pretty early here but have not started yet. I will in a week or so.
Anyway, I'm sure you helped some others by asking that question!
To those who joined in on this swap, good job on getting your seeds mailed! Thanks for posting what you received, too. I will post a status report soon of who has sent and who has received.
Jeanne

o

Hi all!
Hopefully now that the Holidays are over, I can check in more regularly. I've sent Angela another email. I hate to be so much bother to her. For some reason, I'm still not receiving her emails. Hope all here are well. Anybody here ordered from Totally Tomatoes before? Waiting on an order I placed a couple of weeks ago with them to come in.

Joan

o

Ahhh, just what I needed! Thanks Jeanne!
I have one more question, if you do not mind, I promise not too be too much a pain, but I know you guys better here that at the WS forum so I thought i would ask you guys first.

This is just an example, and I am making this all up, it is not a trial!

Ok, Lets say I am winter sowing a tomato. So I winter sow this in lets say, February, and it does not germinate until April. ok
So then I do a tomato the way I always do, started indoors, and I plant it the end of February, and of course that will germinate right away, end of Feb/ beggining of March.

Now the question, the tomato started inside starts earlier, while the winter sown tomato does not germinate until a month or more later than the indoor started one.
Yet, I know that the winter sown one will be a stronger, tougher than the tomato started indoors.

So, do they wind up catching up with each other? Or does the winter sown one, even thought it germinated later, winds up being the best tomato plant?

Hope that I made sence. I promise I will go and study more on WS instead of asking questions all the time! Christy

o

Jeanne sent me some Dill, some Curly Chervil some purple cherokee tomatoes, some perpetual swiss chard, and some oregano seeds! I couldn't be more excited! The coolest thing she sent me though, was a list of garden sayings. My favorite is "Gardens are a form of autobiography." So killer!! Thanks again Jeanne.

o

I'm so happy and excited for everyone! It sounds like people are getting great stuff.

o

YEAH!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY, I got Angela's email. Hmmmm!!!
Now what do I need to add to that box? :)

Joan

o

Box?? Now dont be sending me too much here Joan, I thought we were just swapping seed packets?? Am I missing something here?

o

Joan, I'm glad you now have the address for Angela --- and Angela is right "no box" - just a few packets of seeds and some garden sayings or advice to start out the new year.
Well, I'll stop back in later. Have to leave now to get some work done on my car. Sure hope it gets done pretty fast. That is the most boring thing sitting there waiting while you car gets worked on!
Jeanne

o

Hey Toni!
I got your seeds thanks!!!

o

I think Christy's motto needs to be, "Why do when you can overdo!" LOL! I received my seeds from Christy today and I got a huge bonanza of seeds. HUGE!! Christy and I both have a problem sticking to limits.

Are you ready?
Here's the list of seeds I received.

Four Seasons lettuce
Burpee's Looseleaf Lettuce Mix
Swiss Chard No ID
Bright Lights Swiss Chard
Flamingo Pick Swiss Chard
Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard
Red Russian Kale
Blue Dynasty Cabbage
Early Golden Acre Cabbage
Waltham29 Broccoli
Calabrese Broccoli
George's Favorite Blend Broccoli
Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Cauliflower Brocoverde
Purple of Sicily Cauliflower
Strawberry Spinach
Giant Noble Spinach
Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach

I had mentioned to Christy that I was planning on stuffing Swiss Chard in any spare space I had in the garden this coming year. I really enjoyed growing it last year. I also wanted to try winter sowing spinach since I hadn't had much luck growing it the "regular" way. DH also loves broccoli!

Thanks so much Christy! You outdid yourself again!

o

Wow, Booberry! I hope you have a LOT of wintersowing containers ready, LOL!!!

Nice haul!

Bonnie

o

Thanks so much for the link to the WS Zone database. That helps so much! I have a couple of items I can start this month...then I get to wait (sigh) 'til February & March. But I at least get to start :)

o

You are welcome for the link to the information by zones.

Booberry85, I love the motto you created! LOL

Christy, as for the question about the winter sown plant and the one started inside (and I knew exactly what you were asking), from what I have read the winter sown plant will catch up with the one from inside. My problem has always been that the one inside does not survive. Either the move to outdoors or being too wet or some fungus disease or something does it in first. Even if the plant made it, it was always very legggy! I love winter sowing because I don't have to face any of those issues. However, I know that some people have good luck starting seeds indoors; I just never did.

Anyway, here is what I have checked off in terms of people having received seeds. If I missed you, let me know.

sandlapper_rose <---> carolynp
Both have received.

southerncharm1 has received.

booberry85 has received.

jessaw <---> kamiljablo
kamiljablo has received.

(Have you two been able to get in touch?)

dirtdiggin <---> highalttransplant
Both have received.

Jeanne

o

Hey Jeanne, no no one has heard from Lysa. I really hope everything is ok with her and it isn't anything major wrong.

I wish she had a way to let someone know she is ok. Concerned at this point about her, it has been a while since she posted anywhere.

Hey all!!!

o

The mail out date for this swap is Jan. 10 and since Fran has not heard from Lysa, Fran and I are going to try to arrange a trade between the two of us so she will not be left out of the swap.
Lysa, we all hope you are okay. If you read this in the next few days, I guess at this point we are all thinking you will not be available to swap by the 10th. Jump up and down and wave your hands high so we can see you if you are back online. (Saying that with a smile!)
Jeanne

o

It slipped my mind. Been way too busy sowing seeds. My partner (James) and I have already exchanged packages. I received from him:

Salad Greens
Great Lakes Lettuce
Tomato~ Delicious
Dill
Holy Basil
Asparagus
Cowpeas

I have my containers filled and I plan on sowing them today. Thanks again! The package smelled heavenly. I think it was the dill seeds. YUM!

Nancy

o

Okay Beth I Got your seeds! Thanks so much! Sorry i forgot to include a verse....U should be getting the seeds soon!

Kamil
Ps: I got:
Lettuce Prizehead
Heirloom Cantalope
Chives
Dill

Thanks!

o

Ok, first letting you all know that me and Becky have a serious "Seed Trader's Addiction', I will now continue~

I got from BEcky an Awesome Loot!

Purple Beauty Peppers
Chocolate Peppers
White Malabar Spinach
Green Goliah Broccoli
Little MArvel Peas
Cilantro
Early White and Purple Kohlrabi Mix
Purple Tomatillo
Endive
Space Master Cukes
Oregano
Calendula
Grananda Lettuce
HillBilly Tomato
PoonKeera Cukes
a bunny for my lakeside critter collection
a notepad, some cider mixes, an d plant labels!

I hope I did not miss anything! Thanks again Becky for being the perfect enabler for my addiction! hehe! Christy

o

Thank you Linda. I rec'd you envelope.

Linda sent a beautiful poem she wrote with the seeds. I hate to say I didn't get yours out until today. Sorry...

Happy Wintersowing Everyone!
Andrea

o

Mea culpa, mea culpa, I've been waaayyy too busy and have been remiss in following through, but just to let everyone know I'm not a "deadbeat trader" LOL

spookycharles where are you? Ready to trade. I will try to get in touch so that we can get the goodies out by the deadline.

La Donna

o

Hey kamiljablo-got the seeds-what a great assortment! Love the hostas (I have a little woodland garden that always has space for more!) and the squash asst! Thanks so much!

jessew

o

I am updating on those who were not listed as having received. Now I have:

southerncharm1 has received.

Both have received.

Both have received.

jessaw <---> kamiljablo
Both have received.

As far as I know, no word from lysa39. I have offered to trade with Fran if she wants to trade. If not, that is okay, too. It is up to her.

andreaz6wv has received.

If you have received but have not posted, please let us know so the list will be correct.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Jeanne

o

I am waiting excitedly for mine to arrive...I almost felt silly today pushing past dh looking for my package...almost. I'll let you know when it arrives and what I get. Kim

o

Ok, I've been sick so I'm a little late but my seeds went out today. Conf# 0308 2690 0000 4005 0812
"looking innocently up at the sky" I MIGHT have put a couple of little "happys" in to help my partner make it till Spring. Hopefully, she'll forgive me. :)

Joan

o

Joan, does little 'happys' mean you sent some of those mini liquors? HEHE, I couldn't resist. Sometimes those wouldn't be a bad idea...lol.
Glad you are feeling better and able to post again.

o

La Donna, did your partner ever get in tough with you?

o

Hi,

Just checking in to see what's going on. Linda, I hope you get my stuff today. I seen that Joan posted a DC # and I didn't do that.. I sent it out Thursday.

Take care,
Andrea

o

Okay Andrea, I'll keep an eye out. It's so cold here right now! I think the high is going to be 9 and it's going down to 2 tonight...maybe I'll do some more seed catalog dreaming and winter sowing planning...."putting more wood on the fire and curling up my feet"

o

Ok, my partner and I were a little late on this, but I, like her, mailed yesterday. I feel bad cos all I sent was seeds and now I know she sent me something besides seeds.

Linda, you're lucky! We got about 6 inches of snow today, and the low tonight is minus 14 actual temp. Tomorrow's HIGH is only negative 2. And no, I dont like in Alaska or Minnesota, I'm way down here in west central Illinois.

brrrrr.

o

"handing yotetrapper a cup of tea with a shot of Bailey's"..here I think you need this more than me...."L"

o

Feeling your pain, yotetrapper. We're experiencing the same thing. High of 7 degrees today. High tomorrow of 4, with a low of -15. The weatherman thinks that might be a generous estimate!

-15 isn't a temperature! It's how much weight you lose on a diet! Just to add insult to injury, we're suppose to get more snow. We've had around 100 inches so far this season.

o

Still checking in to see the status of those who have mailed and those who have received. Thanks for continuing to post.
Wow, those are some cold temperatures. Try to stay warm, everyone!
Jeanne

o

okay, that's it..."putting on BIG POT of tea water"...hot tea and Bailey's for everyone!!!

o
RE: received seeds

I received my seeds from Andrea today! What a haul..I'll be busy that's for sure:
I received:
cherry tomatoes
sweet basil (2)
dill
early jersey cabbage
purple top turnips
a cute little winter sowing container with a lovely garden verse attached.
Thanks so much Andrea!

o

Bailey's Irish Creme??? lol If so, that's some good stuff. :D

o

I'm going to start a new heading. We may need it to complete this swap. Stay warm, everyone. I planted five more winter sowing containers today. So far I have planted:
Poppy, Danish Flag
Poppy, Lauren Grape
Bells of Ireland
Sweet Peas - two types
Nasturtum
Snapdragons
Thyme
Lettuce
Curly Chervil
Larksput
Parsley
Dill

I am thinking it may be two weeks before I see any sprouts. Finally cold weather is arriving. We had a very warm December.

Jeanne

o

actually Bailey's Irish Cream in tea is quite good..."smacking lips"

o

I am overwhelmed at the generous package Kathy-southerncharm1 has sent me. My granddaughter Jordan got to open the package and ohhh and ahhhh'd at each type of seed. We will be eating GOOD this year! Thanks Kathy.

I received:
courgette zucchini, summer ball
piccolo di parigi, gherkin
purple top turnip
sweet corn, early and often
turnip, seven top
beet, cylindra
swiss chard
rutger's tomato
cucumber, sumter
sweet corn, sugar dots

Jordan and I planted some of the turnips and beets to eat as fresh greens now and some more were winter sowed for spring. Thanks again Kathy, Kim

o

Wow! I just received my prize pack from Southerncharm1. It has a postmarked date of 12/29/08. I wonder where that thing has been for almost three weeks!!!

Anyway, thank you so much, Kathy! I was expecting A packet of seeds, so was very surprised. They are all things that I haven't tried before, so I'm excited about them.

Thanks again!
Bonnie

o

Well, I mixed up another batch of mix last night to get ready to WS some more containers.
I have 5 5qt ice cream pails man what I wouldn't do for some more of those.
Some milk jugs whole and 1/2 gal
Some soda bottles 2L and a few 3L and some 20 oz, although I am not sure I want to start seeds in those might just use them to pot up some things for a plant swap I am planning to hold in April or May.

I got my mix sopping wet so I am gonna let it dry out a while before using it because I am gonna do some sowing inside before transfering them outside and I don't want to get water all over the house/floor.

o

I recieved my package from Joan the other day and boy did she outdo herself. I recieved tons of seeds, beets, spinach, peas "Alaska", round zuchinni (so cute!), echinacea, rudbeckia, delhinium, a lovely cucumber melon soy candle, a pretty picture frame, a dish towel, plant labels, seed bags... all kinds of stuff!

Thanks so much Joan, and I'll be sending out your second package on Tuesday.

o

Bonnie, I am forever having problems with the PO delivery. A couple months ago I was waiting on seed order for Christy and I kid you not it took almost a month to get here. I was a nervous wreck waiting!!! lol She was very patient with me though. :D Sometimes the things I send take 2 days and then others just arrive whenever they feel like it. It's totally crazy! I've heard that a LOT of packages get lost in Atlanta, so I'm wondering if my stuff has to go through there in the process...

Jeanne, this was an awesome swap! Thank you so very much for hosting it and all the helpful info on Winter Sowing!!! :D

o

You know Kathy, now that you say that, it takes me less time to ship to California, than it does to Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida. I wonder if Atlanta is a hub for packages being sent to the South?

o

I just got well and did not remember i was signed up for this. Iam sorry. I had surgery and was on loopy drugs. Is it to late to do this trade???
Sorry lysa39
Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here