Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Incredible Edibles (Jan.) - Winter Sowing

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

This is the January Swap which will be for seeds - hopefully seeds for edibles that are appropriate for winter sowing. I am posting it early so you can think about it during this busy holiday season.

A little over two years ago I had no idea what winter sowing was and then when I found out what it is, I thought, "No way that will work" - but it does!

Just post here if you want to join in on the swap. Do so with a commitment to following through!

I am listing some sites you can go to and read more about winter sowing.

GardenWeb has a winter sowing board: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/

and Winter Sown.org gives lots of information - take a look at the FAQ section for specifics about zones and types of plants:

http://wintersown.org/

You will find lots of enthusiatic winter sowers to cheer you on!

The theory behind winter sowing is that the seeds germinate at the time that is right for them and then they grow under some pretty unpredictable weather conditions. All of this results in so tough little plants - not a lot of pampering required for these seedlings. Most herbs do well with winter sowing and some other edibles, too. I have even winter sown tomatoes - the variety was Purple Cherokee Tomatoes and they were winter sown on March 9!

You basically plant the seeds in a container that allows sunlight to reach the seeds and some moisture to go in (which can be from rain or snow) and some moisture to flow out as well as allowing for air to reach the plants. It's sort of a mini-greenhouse and it allows you to recycle things like milk jugs or deli/bakery trays that you will use for the sowing. When the seedlings get large enough and the weather is cooperating, the plants are ready to put in the ground or in the type of container you use throughout the Spring and Summer.

So, here are the specifics.

I will match partners shortly after Dec. 16 and then you and your partner will exchange mailing information with each other through e-mail.

Mail your seeds by Jan. 10.

Along with your seeds, send a gardening thought, tip, or verse to wish your seed swapping pal a Happy New Year!

Post when you receive and then you can let us know what you will be winter sowing from your new seeds!

Seeds must be "edibles" - vegetables, fruits, edible herbs, etc.

Send either two new full packets of seeds or the comparable number from "not quite full" packets which can be things you harvested from your garden, received in trade, or used some of and no longer have the full packet. All seeds should be dated 2007 or 2008. ("Not full packets" might require you to send 4-6 packets in order to equal what what be in two new, full packets.)

I am keeping the required number of packets low because I think some people will be trying winter sowing for the first time and you may not want to plant 50 containers when you first try this. I admit, during the winter of 2007-2008, I planted over 100 containers (herbs, vegetables, flowers, and other types of plants.) It's sort of addicting and it allows you to get started on gardening way before traditional planting.

I pulled a few of the seeds named as appropriate for winter sowing from the Wintersown.org site to give you some ideas.

Vegetables

Allium family (onions, shallots, garlic, chives)

Beans

Beets

Brassica family (cabbage, broccoli, kale, collards, etc)

Carrots

Swiss Chards

Corn (select an "early" type as it can germinate at lower temps)

Curcubit family (cukes, squash, pumpkins, melons, gourds)

Lettuce

Nightshade family (eggplant, tomatoes, peppers)

Peas

Radishes

Spinach

Herbs

Chamomile

Fennel

English Lavender

Common Horehound

Lemon Balm

Mentha - Mint (Spearmint, Peppermint, etc.)

Bee Balm

Oregano

Salad Burnet

Thyme

I will be happy to answer questions as they come up so I hope you will want to join in and winter sow once again or for the first time!!!

Here are some of my winter sown "babies" from the winter of 2007-2008 to give you some incentive. Aren't they pretty?

{{gwi:340256}}

{{gwi:340252}}

Happy Holidays!

Jeanne

Comments (133)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

yes Bonnie THAT is an AWESOME LIST!!! Woohooo, it's great to get things you really want huh?
    Bet those Red Noodles will look great next year. Very cool indeed!

:) Fran

• booberry85
    15 years ago

That is great loot!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I got my seeds from my swap partner Kim (plant_one_on_me)
    Saturday. :)

Scarlet runner beans
    Lemon Bee Balm
    Marjoram
    Hyssop Blue
    Echinacea
    Italian Market Wonder Tomato
    Opalka Tomato
    Brads Black Heart Tomato
    Cherokee Purple Tomato

:) Very pleased with these. Thanks so much Kim!!! :) Yours should be there in a few days.

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Kathy, glad the seeds made it to you safe and sound. Kim

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Sorry booberry, I didn't list my loot either lol :oD

Bonnie sent me an awesome batch of herbs and tomatoes and one extra that I've really been wanting, so here goes....

Mediterranean Oregano
    Rosemary
    Sweet Marjoram
    Creeping Thyme
    Opalka Tomato
    Kelloggs Breakfast Tomato

And....

Black Snapdragons

I'm so excited to WS. Thank you SOOOO much! I LOVE Herbs!!!I'm so looking forward to having little sprouts spring from the ground...I have Spring Fever!!! It's been difficult to catch DH before he throws the milk jugs and juice bottles in the recycle bin, but I've succeeded. Gotta get them cut and ready, so I can WS. So is it safe yet to WS or should I wait a while...and how long if I need to wait? We're right in the midst of our coldest time, but we don't very often get down to freezing weather. We've had a pretty bad last few weeks with snow, which we NEVER (famous last words) get, but it's pretty much been a mild - medium frost.

We just received word yesterday that we have permission to put in a HUGE community garden and I have about 6 volunteers, so far, to help set it all up and maintain it. There is an area in amongst the deer infested...err inhabited island that has about a 15 foot high fence and probably 40' x 80' and was originally used for a community garden. Hasn't been used for years, so it will be a wonderful opportunity to sow the abundance of seeds that I've been acquiring and help to teach others as well as enable our friends and neighbors to enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables. YEAH!!!! We'll finally have room for those gigantic Atlantic Pumpkins this year!!! Ohhh and all the hubbards I've collected seed for and other winter squash. I can't wait :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Do anyone know when I can start winter sowing? I live IN New Jersey, slightly inland from the shore, and am between 6b and 7a. Do I have to wait a bit, or can I start now?This is my first time winter sowing, so I do not want to mess it up!

I know I should first start the early spring crops, like lettuces, broccoli, cauli, herbs, chard, type veggies. Is it ever too early to start sowing or does it not matter? I am really itching to plant something!

I have this awesome container I found that used to hold bags of prezels from my mom, it is a big clear container, but it is like 2 or 3 gallons big and nice and tall! SO I am sure that will be a great container to start with!

BTW, Becky, your seeds are all packed up and ready to go! They will be going out in Monday's Mail! Christy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Christy,
    Here is a web page on Winter Sowing that should help you.
    http://wintersown.org/wseo1/WS_Database_Z6.html
    You will think it is all flowers, but as you scroll down you will see dates for herbs and vegetables. For example, you will see some reported tomatoes winter sown in Jan., Feb. and Mar. Same with broccoli and lettuce. The chart is just a guide and is not complete - I believe it's based on what is reported to the winter sowing group. I hope that is of some help. Anyone in a different zone, just look for the section relating to your zone. Another option is to post on the winter sowing section of GardenWeb and ask. I tend to be able to sow pretty early here but have not started yet. I will in a week or so.
    Anyway, I'm sure you helped some others by asking that question!
    To those who joined in on this swap, good job on getting your seeds mailed! Thanks for posting what you received, too. I will post a status report soon of who has sent and who has received.
    Jeanne

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Hi all!
    Hopefully now that the Holidays are over, I can check in more regularly. I've sent Angela another email. I hate to be so much bother to her. For some reason, I'm still not receiving her emails. Hope all here are well. Anybody here ordered from Totally Tomatoes before? Waiting on an order I placed a couple of weeks ago with them to come in.

Joan

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ahhh, just what I needed! Thanks Jeanne!
    I have one more question, if you do not mind, I promise not too be too much a pain, but I know you guys better here that at the WS forum so I thought i would ask you guys first.

This is just an example, and I am making this all up, it is not a trial!

Ok, Lets say I am winter sowing a tomato. So I winter sow this in lets say, February, and it does not germinate until April. ok
    So then I do a tomato the way I always do, started indoors, and I plant it the end of February, and of course that will germinate right away, end of Feb/ beggining of March.

Now the question, the tomato started inside starts earlier, while the winter sown tomato does not germinate until a month or more later than the indoor started one.
    Yet, I know that the winter sown one will be a stronger, tougher than the tomato started indoors.

So, do they wind up catching up with each other? Or does the winter sown one, even thought it germinated later, winds up being the best tomato plant?

Hope that I made sence. I promise I will go and study more on WS instead of asking questions all the time! Christy

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Jeanne sent me some Dill, some Curly Chervil some purple cherokee tomatoes, some perpetual swiss chard, and some oregano seeds! I couldn't be more excited! The coolest thing she sent me though, was a list of garden sayings. My favorite is "Gardens are a form of autobiography." So killer!! Thanks again Jeanne.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm so happy and excited for everyone! It sounds like people are getting great stuff.

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

YEAH!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY, I got Angela's email. Hmmmm!!!
    Now what do I need to add to that box? :)

Joan

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Box?? Now dont be sending me too much here Joan, I thought we were just swapping seed packets?? Am I missing something here?

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joan, I'm glad you now have the address for Angela --- and Angela is right "no box" - just a few packets of seeds and some garden sayings or advice to start out the new year.
    Well, I'll stop back in later. Have to leave now to get some work done on my car. Sure hope it gets done pretty fast. That is the most boring thing sitting there waiting while you car gets worked on!
    Jeanne

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Hey Toni!
    I got your seeds thanks!!!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I think Christy's motto needs to be, "Why do when you can overdo!" LOL! I received my seeds from Christy today and I got a huge bonanza of seeds. HUGE!! Christy and I both have a problem sticking to limits.

Are you ready?
    Here's the list of seeds I received.

Four Seasons lettuce
    Burpee's Looseleaf Lettuce Mix
    Swiss Chard No ID
    Bright Lights Swiss Chard
    Flamingo Pick Swiss Chard
    Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard
    Red Russian Kale
    Blue Dynasty Cabbage
    Early Golden Acre Cabbage
    Waltham29 Broccoli
    Calabrese Broccoli
    George's Favorite Blend Broccoli
    Purple Sprouting Broccoli
    Cauliflower Brocoverde
    Purple of Sicily Cauliflower
    Strawberry Spinach
    Giant Noble Spinach
    Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach

I had mentioned to Christy that I was planning on stuffing Swiss Chard in any spare space I had in the garden this coming year. I really enjoyed growing it last year. I also wanted to try winter sowing spinach since I hadn't had much luck growing it the "regular" way. DH also loves broccoli!

Thanks so much Christy! You outdid yourself again!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Wow, Booberry! I hope you have a LOT of wintersowing containers ready, LOL!!!

Nice haul!

Bonnie

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the link to the WS Zone database. That helps so much! I have a couple of items I can start this month...then I get to wait (sigh) 'til February & March. But I at least get to start :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are welcome for the link to the information by zones.

Booberry85, I love the motto you created! LOL

Christy, as for the question about the winter sown plant and the one started inside (and I knew exactly what you were asking), from what I have read the winter sown plant will catch up with the one from inside. My problem has always been that the one inside does not survive. Either the move to outdoors or being too wet or some fungus disease or something does it in first. Even if the plant made it, it was always very legggy! I love winter sowing because I don't have to face any of those issues. However, I know that some people have good luck starting seeds indoors; I just never did.

Anyway, here is what I have checked off in terms of people having received seeds. If I missed you, let me know.

sandlapper_rose carolynp
    Both have received.

spookycharles chitownladyd

southerncharm1 plant_one_on_me
    southerncharm1 has received.

ejmoore510 yotetrapper

luvgardening2 plantman50

booberry 85 bonechikchris
    booberry85 has received.

jessaw kamiljablo
    kamiljablo has received.

ncgardengirl lysa39
    (Have you two been able to get in touch?)

andreaz6wv lindaruzicka

dirtdiggin highalttransplant
    Both have received.

Jeanne

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hey Jeanne, no no one has heard from Lysa. I really hope everything is ok with her and it isn't anything major wrong.

I wish she had a way to let someone know she is ok. Concerned at this point about her, it has been a while since she posted anywhere.

Hey all!!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The mail out date for this swap is Jan. 10 and since Fran has not heard from Lysa, Fran and I are going to try to arrange a trade between the two of us so she will not be left out of the swap.
    Lysa, we all hope you are okay. If you read this in the next few days, I guess at this point we are all thinking you will not be available to swap by the 10th. Jump up and down and wave your hands high so we can see you if you are back online. (Saying that with a smile!)
    Jeanne

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

It slipped my mind. Been way too busy sowing seeds. My partner (James) and I have already exchanged packages. I received from him:

Salad Greens
    Great Lakes Lettuce
    Tomato~ Delicious
    Dill
    Holy Basil
    Asparagus
    Cowpeas

I have my containers filled and I plan on sowing them today. Thanks again! The package smelled heavenly. I think it was the dill seeds. YUM!

Nancy

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Okay Beth I Got your seeds! Thanks so much! Sorry i forgot to include a verse....U should be getting the seeds soon!

Kamil
    Ps: I got:
    Lettuce Prizehead
    Heirloom Cantalope
    Chives
    Dill

Thanks!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ok, first letting you all know that me and Becky have a serious "Seed Trader's Addiction', I will now continue~

I got from BEcky an Awesome Loot!

Purple Beauty Peppers
    Chocolate Peppers
    White Malabar Spinach
    Green Goliah Broccoli
    Little MArvel Peas
    Cilantro
    Early White and Purple Kohlrabi Mix
    Purple Tomatillo
    Endive
    Space Master Cukes
    Oregano
    Calendula
    Grananda Lettuce
    HillBilly Tomato
    PoonKeera Cukes
    a bunny for my lakeside critter collection
    a notepad, some cider mixes, an d plant labels!

I hope I did not miss anything! Thanks again Becky for being the perfect enabler for my addiction! hehe! Christy

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Thank you Linda. I rec'd you envelope.

Linda sent a beautiful poem she wrote with the seeds. I hate to say I didn't get yours out until today. Sorry...

Happy Wintersowing Everyone!
    Andrea

• chitownladyd
    15 years ago

Mea culpa, mea culpa, I've been waaayyy too busy and have been remiss in following through, but just to let everyone know I'm not a "deadbeat trader" LOL

spookycharles where are you? Ready to trade. I will try to get in touch so that we can get the goodies out by the deadline.

La Donna

• jessewo
    15 years ago

Hey kamiljablo-got the seeds-what a great assortment! Love the hostas (I have a little woodland garden that always has space for more!) and the squash asst! Thanks so much!

jessew

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am updating on those who were not listed as having received. Now I have:

spookycharles chitownladyd

southerncharm1 plant_one_on_me
    southerncharm1 has received.

ejmoore510 yotetrapper

luvgardening2 plantman50
    Both have received.

booberry 85 bonechikchris
    Both have received.

jessaw kamiljablo
    Both have received.

ncgardengirl lysa39
    As far as I know, no word from lysa39. I have offered to trade with Fran if she wants to trade. If not, that is okay, too. It is up to her.

andreaz6wv lindaruzicka
    andreaz6wv has received.

If you have received but have not posted, please let us know so the list will be correct.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Jeanne

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I am waiting excitedly for mine to arrive...I almost felt silly today pushing past dh looking for my package...almost. I'll let you know when it arrives and what I get. Kim

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Ok, I've been sick so I'm a little late but my seeds went out today. Conf# 0308 2690 0000 4005 0812
    "looking innocently up at the sky" I MIGHT have put a couple of little "happys" in to help my partner make it till Spring. Hopefully, she'll forgive me. :)

Joan

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Joan, does little 'happys' mean you sent some of those mini liquors? HEHE, I couldn't resist. Sometimes those wouldn't be a bad idea...lol.
    Glad you are feeling better and able to post again.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

La Donna, did your partner ever get in tough with you?

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Hi,

Just checking in to see what's going on. Linda, I hope you get my stuff today. I seen that Joan posted a DC # and I didn't do that.. I sent it out Thursday.

Take care,
    Andrea

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Okay Andrea, I'll keep an eye out. It's so cold here right now! I think the high is going to be 9 and it's going down to 2 tonight...maybe I'll do some more seed catalog dreaming and winter sowing planning...."putting more wood on the fire and curling up my feet"

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Ok, my partner and I were a little late on this, but I, like her, mailed yesterday. I feel bad cos all I sent was seeds and now I know she sent me something besides seeds.

Linda, you're lucky! We got about 6 inches of snow today, and the low tonight is minus 14 actual temp. Tomorrow's HIGH is only negative 2. And no, I dont like in Alaska or Minnesota, I'm way down here in west central Illinois.

brrrrr.

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"handing yotetrapper a cup of tea with a shot of Bailey's"..here I think you need this more than me...."L"

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Feeling your pain, yotetrapper. We're experiencing the same thing. High of 7 degrees today. High tomorrow of 4, with a low of -15. The weatherman thinks that might be a generous estimate!

-15 isn't a temperature! It's how much weight you lose on a diet! Just to add insult to injury, we're suppose to get more snow. We've had around 100 inches so far this season.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still checking in to see the status of those who have mailed and those who have received. Thanks for continuing to post.
    Wow, those are some cold temperatures. Try to stay warm, everyone!
    Jeanne

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

okay, that's it..."putting on BIG POT of tea water"...hot tea and Bailey's for everyone!!!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I received my seeds from Andrea today! What a haul..I'll be busy that's for sure:
    I received:
    cherry tomatoes
    sweet basil (2)
    dill
    early jersey cabbage
    purple top turnips
    a cute little winter sowing container with a lovely garden verse attached.
    Thanks so much Andrea!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Bailey's Irish Creme??? lol If so, that's some good stuff. :D

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to start a new heading. We may need it to complete this swap. Stay warm, everyone. I planted five more winter sowing containers today. So far I have planted:
    Poppy, Danish Flag
    Poppy, Lauren Grape
    Bells of Ireland
    Sweet Peas - two types
    Nasturtum
    Snapdragons
    Thyme
    Lettuce
    Curly Chervil
    Larksput
    Parsley
    Dill

I am thinking it may be two weeks before I see any sprouts. Finally cold weather is arriving. We had a very warm December.

Jeanne

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

actually Bailey's Irish Cream in tea is quite good..."smacking lips"

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I am overwhelmed at the generous package Kathy-southerncharm1 has sent me. My granddaughter Jordan got to open the package and ohhh and ahhhh'd at each type of seed. We will be eating GOOD this year! Thanks Kathy.

I received:
    courgette zucchini, summer ball
    piccolo di parigi, gherkin
    purple top turnip
    sweet corn, early and often
    turnip, seven top
    beet, cylindra
    swiss chard
    rutger's tomato
    cucumber, sumter
    sweet corn, sugar dots

Jordan and I planted some of the turnips and beets to eat as fresh greens now and some more were winter sowed for spring. Thanks again Kathy, Kim

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Wow! I just received my prize pack from Southerncharm1. It has a postmarked date of 12/29/08. I wonder where that thing has been for almost three weeks!!!

Anyway, thank you so much, Kathy! I was expecting A packet of seeds, so was very surprised. They are all things that I haven't tried before, so I'm excited about them.

Thanks again!
    Bonnie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well, I mixed up another batch of mix last night to get ready to WS some more containers.
    I have 5 5qt ice cream pails man what I wouldn't do for some more of those.
    Some milk jugs whole and 1/2 gal
    Some soda bottles 2L and a few 3L and some 20 oz, although I am not sure I want to start seeds in those might just use them to pot up some things for a plant swap I am planning to hold in April or May.

I got my mix sopping wet so I am gonna let it dry out a while before using it because I am gonna do some sowing inside before transfering them outside and I don't want to get water all over the house/floor.

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

I recieved my package from Joan the other day and boy did she outdo herself. I recieved tons of seeds, beets, spinach, peas "Alaska", round zuchinni (so cute!), echinacea, rudbeckia, delhinium, a lovely cucumber melon soy candle, a pretty picture frame, a dish towel, plant labels, seed bags... all kinds of stuff!

Thanks so much Joan, and I'll be sending out your second package on Tuesday.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I am forever having problems with the PO delivery. A couple months ago I was waiting on seed order for Christy and I kid you not it took almost a month to get here. I was a nervous wreck waiting!!! lol She was very patient with me though. :D Sometimes the things I send take 2 days and then others just arrive whenever they feel like it. It's totally crazy! I've heard that a LOT of packages get lost in Atlanta, so I'm wondering if my stuff has to go through there in the process...

Jeanne, this was an awesome swap! Thank you so very much for hosting it and all the helpful info on Winter Sowing!!! :D

• booberry85
    15 years ago

You know Kathy, now that you say that, it takes me less time to ship to California, than it does to Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida. I wonder if Atlanta is a hub for packages being sent to the South?

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I just got well and did not remember i was signed up for this. Iam sorry. I had surgery and was on loopy drugs. Is it to late to do this trade???
    Sorry lysa39
    Lisa