Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

new: fotess snowflake sweetheart swap: begins jan. 2015

sandlapper_rose
9 years ago

Snowflake Sweetheart Swap: a True Round Robin Swap for FOTESS (Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps)

First of all, FOTESS swaps are limited to members of FOTESS. If you would like to join please get in touch with me or Shirley (sjc48).

It's anticipated that the Jan. FOTESS Swap is likely to be for both Jan. and Feb. because of the time taken for the package to get from one member to the next. I had this idea about making it a true round robin. In keeping with the months, the items will be white - the color of snow, or red or pink - the colors associated with Valentine's Day. The package will be started by me and go from person to person for those who sign up. I will post a list so everyone has an idea of when the package might arrive for her.
It will start out with 12 packs of seeds and 5 small appropriately colored items. Those who sign up for the swap can take out and replace up to 10 items when the box or padded envelope comes to them, but cannot take all of the seeds or all of the non-seed items. They will replace the number they take so it stays at 12 packets of seeds and 5 small items.

Seeds: A reasonable number in each pack and remember that the flower, fruit, vegetable or foliage must be our colors of WHITE, PINK, and RED which means that all or part of the flower, foliage and fruit or vegetable must be white, pink, or red. Please keep some variety to the seeds so we have some flowers and some veggies. We don't want there to be only 12 varieties of tomatoes or beets when it reaches the next person.

Non-seed items: Small, lightweight and non-breakable and also in the colors white, pink, or red so this can be sent around in a padded envelope. If someone prefers to mail in a box, that's fine but let's make sure those who want to use an envelope can do that. Things like a yard of ribbon or lace, a packet of tissues for in a purse, a bookmark, a fat eighth of fabric, a few vintage buttons, stickers or embellishments, a raspberry teabag or envelope of raspberry hot chocolate, etc. You'll probably think of excellent additions that I haven't listed.

Going along with this will be a poem that we will add to on the thread. Add a line when your package arrives. It will help out the next person if the last word can be easily rhymed with something, but we'll work it out even if it doesn't. Shirley can tell us what the style of poetry is that doesn't rhyme.
My starting line is:

January arrived in little white puffs of snow.

I will mail to the first person on Jan. 8th. Please try to mail out within 2 days of when you receive it so we can keep it moving on its way and let's have everyone add a tracking number and post it to the thread when you mail so if it stalls someplace we can see what happened. If there's a time you can't manage to mail it back out quickly, e-mail me and I'll try to put you on the list at a time that's convenient for you. I hope everyone enjoys the swap!

So here we go with our list:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 15:11

Comments (177)

• kchd
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OMG, Jeanne & Annie... you are right! [thinking... thinking...] to be continued....

Annie, yes almost all folks here refer to those significantly older than themselves as "ma'am." Most children are taught to answer "Yes, sir" or "No, ma'am." I did not grow up saying that. My mom is from out west, which explains that. But what we did grow up with is addressing all elders with Mr. or Mrs. + first name. eg. "Miss Katie." That is so traditionally southern.

Jeanne, ugh! Sleep deprivation from pain is no good. I was exhausted for more than a week after I broke my elbow, then had it immobilized in a 90 degree angle. Could not get comfortable. That's when you just have to take half a pain pill to cut the edge and get some ZZZZZZZs. Hope you feel better soon.

• kchd
    9 years ago

January arrived in little white puffs of snow,
    It's time for mittens and hats!
    A book, hot cocoa and your favorite big throw.
    Let's settle in for a cozy chat.
    Or maybe we can snuggle up and watch our favorite show.
    It's time to winter sow some seeds,

This post was edited by kchd on Sat, Feb 7, 15 at 12:34

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone, well, this is certainly - well - different?!

Just had to confirm my account, not sure what it was I changed but it seems to be working.

Margo, got your email, I agree, UGH!!

I always go straight into the Round Robin Forum, very seldom go thro GW, if that makes sense.

It will be interesting to see what happens the next time I log on!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I had a visit from Tabs and MyrnD. Lots of fun, even if I didn't win

at GO FISH!!

Hope all are doing well,

Shirley!

• kchd
    9 years ago

Holy cow! I knew this was coming, but Eeeeeek!! I was already a member of Houzz, and used the same 'kchd' sign in name. Now GardenWeb and Houzz can't seem to merge my accounts. UGH! And I'm not even aversive to change... I hope we don't lose members because of this.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Got home yesterday afternoon. Katie, the package is here. I have not opened it up but will do so later. I will send out to Melinda tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, I can get a pic on this new HOUZZ site tonight or tomorrow. This HOUZZ is, well.....kind of a weird site. Why is it that techy people always want to screw with things. It becomes more work..........I don't mind change if it improves the site but I don't have time to be more confused...LOL! Simple is still best!

Happy day!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I found my way in. Everyone is right, what a surprise. Glad the round robin is still traveling along and I see the poem is growing. Hopefully we all get used to the new format. It seems I had to log in 3 times today, but hopefully it will be down to just one tomorrow. For now, the pages look pretty bland. Maybe we need to continue adding pictures.

I thought of something to ask: If any of you have live poinsettias that you got at Christmas time, how long do they seem to last? Mine usually stay nice until early February and unless they are making a big mess, I leave them out until Valentine's Day and dispose of them after that. I know you can keep them going and I did that in my apartment garden years ago. They liked it there. Now I just think it's too much trouble.

I finally got a really good night's sleep last night so I'll be chatting more frequently now.

Does anyone want to play another quick game? Here are some Bingo words. Send me a list of 5 of them by e-mail and I'll begin to select one a day on Saturday and we'll see if someone can get Bingo before the end of the month. A prize to the first one with Bingo.

Cupid

Bleeding Hearts

Valentine Card

Lace

Arrows

Love

Friendship

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Surprise

Out to Dinner

Red Roses

Romantic Cruise

Paris

Love Story

Engagement

Well, off for now. I hope we all find our way back. :-)

Jeanne

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I can't figure out how to email thru here. I thought maybe I had to be following you first, but that didn't work.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Can you imagine what I'm going to have to figure out when I'm 80? Don't worry, Grandma Heidi, just get the chip in the brain. Everyone has it! To think that for generations and generations people lived with almost no rate of change--like the Irish planting their potatoes. We blink and there's something new to learn!

9 years ago

So here's what I found about us messaging each other: You can message any other Houzz user that follows you by visiting their profile and clicking on the message button you see there. If you do not see a message button for a profile that follows your own, that means they have disabled the messaging feature in their profile settings.

1. Do I have to follow ruthz, for example, before I can message her? How do I do that?

2. Do we still have exchange lists? AND...can we see another person's?

Heidi

• ruthz
    9 years ago

To follow, click on follow on the right side of the cover photo.

I clicked follow on Jeanne and still didn't see how to send her a message. Maybe she has to be following me also.

I don't think we have exchange lists right now. I read somewhere that they will be coming. Also I don't find Discussions or Gallery on forums.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With the confusion in moving to this site, anyone is welcome to just post their list of Bingo words here. It's not like anyone knows in advance what will be selected. I'm confirming that people can send mail to me when the messages comes through. I think I got several today. Just looking things over now.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    9 years ago

So, now I have to use both Houzz and my yahoo crap to be able to be in touch with anyone in FOTESS?

I'm having a real problem finding the benefits of this new system.

I am NOT following anyone.

I will honor my commitment to FOTESS thro the end of March. Will think long and hard about belonging to GW after that.

This is b---s--t.

Shirley

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Jeanne, I did email you my 5 BINGO words yesterday.

I will post a pic of what I chose later but for now a poetry update. And Melinda, mail is headed your way this afternoon.

January arrived in little white puffs of snow,

It's time for mittens and hats!

A book, hot cocoa and your favorite big throw.

Let's settle in for a cozy chat.

Or maybe we can snuggle up and watch our favorite show.

It's time to winter sow some seeds,

I pray that our tomatoes, peppers, flowers and herbs will grow.

Jeanne and Katie, thanks for the responses on Southern Ma'am etiquette. Being a California girl, when I was younger, I to always referred to older people as Mr. and Mrs. I would have never referred to, for example, my parents friends by their first name. And I would have never called my Uncles and Aunts by their first name. "First names" only came about when I was in my late 20's and that was because they insisted upon it. It was hard to break the habit. But all my nieces and nephews from day one, called me (and all of the other aunts and uncles), by our first names. No Aunt or Uncle stuff. We wanted it that way. In fact, my Mom would not allow any of the grandkids to call her Grandma, Grammy ect. They could only call her Rosie or Roro. Always interesting, what is acceptable and not acceptable, across the US and other countries, when it comes to etiquette and respect.

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• canfan
    9 years ago

Hi FOTESS'ers..... Looks like they really gave the site a workover.... just a bit of getting use to... but it won't be too hard. Hope the promise of spring is lifting spirits.. might be hard in the NE where there is soo much snow... Our weather is very mild... breaking record warm temps. Still have a ways to go before any planting can begin.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

I chose the above seeds and fun things. And Katie thanks so much for sending me Arkansas Traveler Tomato seeds. Melinda, you should receive the package on Saturday!!

Thanks Jeanne....so much fun!

Happy Evening!

Annie

• kchd
    9 years ago
    Annie, I am fascinated with the whole cultural differences in how to respectfully address folks across the country. I love all of them and I'm offended by none. I do tell my guy techs at work not to answer me with "ma'am." Makes me feel older than I feel!!! HA!

Let me know how those Arkansas Traveler tomatoes do for you. I'm growing them this year, too.

Katie
  • ruthz
    9 years ago

Annie, the Stump of the World tomato seeds got here yesterday and I got them started this morning. It will be awesome to find a GOOD tomato that will actually produce here in the summer. Sungold does pretty good, but it's too small for me to deseed. Thank you so much.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A big hello to everyone! I couldn't get on the site yesterday. All I was getting was a blank screen. It was a bit worrisome. I got Bingo words from Nicole and Annie. Anyone else? I'll start drawing words on Saturday. It will be a short game since you only need to have 5 words in a 15 word list. At least, I think that will go fast. I realized that you should have my e-mail address since we send them out periodically so either through here (if e-mail is working through the new set up) or regular e-mail, you can try to send your word choices that way... or just post them here.

Is anyone doing anything special for Valentine's Day? I usually like to go out to eat, but often we pick the day before or the day after so it's not so crowded. This year since my mouth is still healing, I don't think I can deal with things like steak, etc. so we may just eat something we like here at home. I did get little packages sent out to the grandchildren.

Annie, I'm glad the round robin found you. We are almost finished now. It has been fun to do a "true round robin" for Jan. and Feb. I'll try to check in again tomorrow. I suspect whatever wasn't working yesterday for me is okay today.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can still post Bingo words here until I draw the first word tomorrow. Anyone in FOTESS can play Bingo. I think some are still try to find their way around.

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bingo begins! The first one drawn is Valentine Card. How appropriate is that?

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry I'm so late in posting the Bingo word. I will post 2 - one for today and one for tomorrow.

The new words are:

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Arrows

I hope everyone is doing well. We are getting ready for the really cold weather that is heading our way. Just hope the ice and snow stay away.

Jeanne

• kchd
    9 years ago

Here you go, ladies... Place your vote on exterior paint for our new house.
    From left to right: Privilege Green, Dried Thyme, and Coastal Plain.
    It is amazing how different they look in a digital photo, vs. in the shade of the porch, vs. in full sun!

9 years ago

Will the dark color absorb too much sun during the summer and make your house difficult to keep cool?

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Katie, I love the Dried Thyme!

Good question, Heidi, would have never thought of that!

Have a great week, Ladies!

Shirley!

• kchd
    9 years ago

Heidi, good point! We have very little exterior wall that faces south due to a porch overhang of 10 ft. The exterior wall on the west is mostly shaded by trees. So, I am not too worried about that. I just don't want to green to look washed out. . Their light reflectance values are Coastal Plain = 43 and Dried Thyme = 20. The jury is still out. I want to paint a bigger swatch on the house.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Everyone -

From the little samples shown, I like Privilege Green the best. How exciting for you, Katie, to be picking out paint colors. I am not good at it, but love to look at all of them.

New Bingo word for today is Engagement.

Have a good day. Maybe tomorrow we will have a Bingo winner. That would be exciting to get one with only 5 words picked. Stay warm.

Jeanne

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I like the Coastal Plain best, then Dried Thyme. Choice might be different in person. But I tend to always stick to neutrals rather than colors.

9 years ago

I'm not good with color overall. I can't tell between orange and pink, purple and blue. They all look about the same to me. In fact, the swatch in your picture on the right looks gray to me! I'll just enjoy watching you choose!

Heidi

9 years ago

It hit 65 degrees last week and I cleaned out a flower bed. I know...too early. I found a circle of green coming up. It had a marker beside it that said "Fizzy Rose" (cosmos). I planted those last spring. Now it will be interesting to see if that's really what they are. I do like surprises.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

I better email Melinda to see if she received the snowflake package. I mailed it a week ago. I do hope she is OK!! Possibly Jeanne has heard from her. And possibly Jeanne can not get on here.....I will email both of them.

Katie, I am no good in the color department. But a group of buddies took a look...two of them liked the "Priviledge", two of them liked the "Dried" and one of them liked the "Coastal"....and they each changed their mind more than once...LOL! When do you think the house will be done?

Happy Wednesday! Stay warm and safe!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wind is blowing something fierce outside so I think it's delivering colder weather to us. No, I haven't heard from Melinda. Perhaps she is in the area with all the bad weather and mail deliveries are delayed.

However, I do have a bingo word for you! Today's selection is Red Roses.

Everyone stay warm and safe!

Jeanne

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Fotess friends, look, our have/want trade lists are back! Read Tamara's thread. Mary E.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Yay! Thank you, Mary!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brrr! It's cold here. I know plenty of places are even worse though.

Our Bingo word for today is Love. I don't think anyone has Bingo yet, but I try to watch and see if the new word makes Bingo for someone.

Everyone stay safe and warm. It sounds like no word from Melinda yet. I hope we hear from her soon, but with the weather like it is, I'm not worried a whole lot. It may not be safe for her to get out and about with the roads icy or snow filled.

Jeanne

9 years ago

So if I want to "email" a Fotesser I can click on their name (like sandlapper_rose) and hit "Message". That only works if we're both following each other I believe. It feels like I'm on a 2nd Facebook. I'm glad our lists are back although I can only find my own! Haven't figured out how to check out anybody else's list!

Would you (group members) be interested in a Facebook page called Fotess? Just throwing out an idea. I'm trying to learn Houzz, but I'm having many of the same feelings as Shirley.

• kchd
    9 years ago

If the FOTESSettes decided to jump ship and create a Facebook group, I would follow. I love you ladies. Shirley, you can't go!!!!

• sjc48
    9 years ago

However, if it comes right down to it, I would go with Facebook.

Shirley!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Heidi, the exchange lists that I've seen are in the same place on others pages as mine is on my page. They are in green print.

I like facebook, but I don't know how it would be for a swap group. I am in several facebook groups, brugmansias, daylilies and morning glories. But they don't have monthly swaps.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally found my way back to this topic. LOL

I'll give my input on Facebook. I'm on Facebook. but I wouldn't want to use it for something like this. I don't want to post my comments about why here, but will be happy to share them by e-mail if anyone is interested.

And now for today's Bingo word: Love Story

Did I forget to post one yesterday? I'll have to look back over the list. Our internet connection seems to go out several times a day lately so I don't know what's up with that. Sometimes if I try to sign on several times that day and can't get through I give up and try again the next day. It went down to 12 degrees last night. Also our high for today was a new LOW for a record high if you can understand that. I think it was for 2 days in a row that happened. Brrrr! But no snow so that's a plus.

I do have some good news. The round robin package from Melinda arrived here today. She enclosed a note that she can't get on houzz so I hope she gets it worked out. There were really nice things in the package. I think some members added more things than they took out. I won't list all of it, but I got flower stickers, baking cups with a snowflake design, a spool of wired ribbon, tissues, magnets, and note cards. The seeds are great, too -purple fountain grass, big juicy strawberries, baby's breath, variegated tomatoes, and several more. Thank you, everyone!

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to try to e-mail Melinda to let her know her package arrived. I'll ask how she's doing because I know we all hope she is doing better.

Well, the later it gets in the day, the colder I get so I'm going to burrow under my afghan again. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Good to hear from Melinda, hope she is doing well.

I will be posting the March FOTESS swap on March 1st. Sweet and simple, Ladies!

Jeanne, just sent you an email.

Shirley!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Finally catching up here...

I am not a facebook lover. I go out of my way to avoid it! Hopefully, our lovely group of FOTESSERS can come up with a happy remedy, so that we can stay together and FOTESS.

Shirley, looking forward to the March FOTESS swap. 17 below, oh my goodness......I am sure you do not want to hear that I have been wearing shorts and a tank top for the last several days. But sweats are in the picture in the next few days....Stay warm!! My twin nephews (Southern California boys) are freshman at Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor. They have not complained about the weather yet. I think they figure they can not do a darn thing about it and they are right. They laugh about it!!! They knew when they decided to go to Michigan that it was going to be burzy cold.........LOL!

Jeanne, great...I am glad the package made it your way. Thank you again for hosting two months of snowflake....red, pink and white.

Melinda, hoping you are well.

To all of you in the damn cold....stay safe!!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My internet connection keeps coming and going. It's really aggravating. I haven't tried my AOL mail yet, but I did want to post the Bingo word for today. BLEEDING HEARTS. Anyone have Bingo yet?

We have a nice day today. I think it's in the lower 50's. The sun kind of comes and goes. Rain is supposed to arrive overnight. I just went out and planted 8 more winter sowing jugs and did a little bit of pruning. The rose bushes are sending out their new growth. I guess they didn't care that it got really cold. I found some daffodils flowers that had bent over from the cold so I snipped them and have them in a vase indoors.

If I heard from Melinda by e-mail I'll try to get back on here and let you know.

Bye for now

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I couldn't get on AOL at all yesterday so that's why I didn't stop back here. Actually our computer was being a real pain yesterday. I could hardly get to anything and I guess for about 9 hours it wasn't connecting at all. Anyway, I got to AOL today and there was no message from Melinda. I hope we hear how she is doing.
    The Bingo word for today is: LACE
    Enjoy the rest of the day!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bingo word of the day: Paris

I think someone has Bingo now...

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

BINGO!!
    Melinda, thinking of you!!

Happy Evening and Happy Tuesday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations on Bingo, Annie! I'll let you know when I get your prize in the mail to you. I think our weather will be okay in the daytime, but a litte snow fell this morning and tonight is supposed to be "freezing drizzle" - whatever that is!

Everyone stay warm and safe!

Jeanne

• kchd
    9 years ago

Hi Ladies! Just stopping by to say hi. I'm super busy, but I've been keeping up with the swap via the emails I receive. Has anyone heard from Melinda yet? Hope everyone is doing well. We got snow this past week, Wednesday evening. It was beautiful!! Husband and I made a 2-headed snowman. HAHAHA

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Hi All, just dropping in to thank Jeanne for a great swap! A very creative idea and fun too!

Thanks, Jeanne!

Shirley!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz