Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaleeisa

Update on Jaleeisa- Kathy

jaleeisa
14 years ago

Hello everyone. Not sure how many will remember me, it's been a little while since I've been very active here. Those who do know that in May I had a spinal fusion surgery. Three weeks after that, my hip fractured. After healing from that, it was determined that the screws and plates would have to be removed because they were abrading the large muscles on each side of my spine. This was done at the end of October.

Things should have improve since that time, but have not. I am still unable to bend and walk with a severe limp, often needing a cane. The muscles that were abraded, well, they removed some scar tissues from them when they removed the hardware, but something is still not right. All of the muscles from about the middle of my back going down over my glutes and into the backs of my thighs, and spreading outward from my spine to the sides to the sides of my hip bones are all still severely knotted. Movement, sitting, standing or even lying down for very long are still extremely uncomfortable.

My fusion was a success and filled in, strengthened and healed well, as did the incisions from both first and second surgeries. So everything should have been great.

As it stands, I began Physical Therapy for the second time yesterday. The muscles are so knotted and the tendons so taunt that they cannot even begin the massage therapy. It would cause too much pain.

I am having a dye contrast MRI this evening to look for further disk problems and to determine how much more scar tissue has built and if that is causing the issues.

I am waiting for the appointment to have an EMG done. This is a test to determine nerve damage. I'm dreading it.. it's VERY uncomfortable.

I have started having a lot of trouble with my hands- losing sensation, at times losing control and dropping things. They are working on figuring out what is causing this.

My last appointment with my surgeon was a week ago yesterday. He told me then that surgically, there is nothing else to be done for me. He also told us that what ever increased mobility I gain from the physical therapy....well... that's pretty much going to be it. I still have a lot of pain in my legs, and at this point they feel the nerve damage in my legs is permanent. The physical therapist said yesterday that they are going to work with me to try to regain some mobility... but given how severe it is, that is going to take a lot of time, perhaps years before I'm able to bend or anything like that to any real degree. Because it's not only loosening the muscles, but allowing the tendons to heal, then rebuilding strength in them.

I want to thank Linda, Melissa and Dan for the cards. They have been such a bright spot through all of this. I'm slowly getting Christmas cards filled out and in the mail. So several should be receiving those in the next few weeks. I just wanted everyone to know why I've not been around. I can't sit to do anything for long, so it's taken me most of the day to write this using word.

Love and miss everyone and hope you will keep me in your prayers.

Kathy

Comments (13)

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Kathy!
    Great to see you post, it's been a long while. I know you've been on my mind bunches lately.
    I hope you have a GREAT Christmas & Happy New Year!
    Here's hoping that NEXT year will be a terrific one for you- and the beginning of much needed healing.
    Love, Hugs & Squishes!
    Melissa

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Kathy, that's so odd! I was just going to post today and see if anyone has heard anything from you...you've been on my mind alot this week.

I'm sorry to hear that things still aren't going as well as you thought they would. I'm keeping you in my prayers and please remember that I'm only a phone call away!..and I sincerely mean that! (((HUG)))

I'm hoping the the PT will help loosen up things and get you more mobile!

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Kathy, so glad you posted. I was wondering how things were going. Best wishes and keep us informed!
    Alana

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear your surgeries and treatments have not gone as planned. I hope we here at the Gardenweb can at least be a pleasant distraction for you if nothing else. Keep your faith up. The power is positive thought is strong. In the meantime, I'm sending well wishes your way.

Becky

• dorisl
    14 years ago

((((((((((((((((((Kathy)))))))))))))))))))))

if seeds could make you better, we'd all make sure you were cured.

;)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I still don't have a dry eye...but know that we'll keep you in our prayers...and we all know miracles happen. The pain must be unbearable. I can certainly empathize with severe back pain, but not with what are going through. Take care and try to keep yourself comfortable. I'm sure it's difficult, but maybe some of our prayers will help.

Toni

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Kathy, you've been on my mind a lot lately also, and seeing you post, though it took what probably felt like forever, is a definite relief. And, for some reason, the song "Somewhere Out There" from American Tail, comes to mind. Here are the lyrics...

Somewhere Out There

written by James Horner, Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight
    Someone's thinking of me and loving me tonight

Somewhere out there someone's saying a prayer
    That we'll find one another in that big somewhere out there

And even though I know how very far apart we are
    It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
    It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there if love can see us through
    Then we'll be together somewhere out there
    Out where dreams come true

And even though I know how very far apart we are
    It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
    It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there if love can see us through
    Then we'll be together somewhere out there
    Out where dreams come true

Another song comes to mind also, "Over the Rainbow".
    Somewhere, over the rainbow, way up high
    There's a land that I heard of
    Once in a lullaby

Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue
    And the dreams that you dare to dream
    Really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star and
    wake up where the clouds are far
    Behind me

Where troubles melt like lemon drops,
    Away above the chimney tops
    That's where you'll find me

Somewhere, over the rainbow, bluebirds fly
    Birds fly over the rainbow,
    Why then, oh, why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow,
    Why, oh, why can't I?

Don't lose heart, and don't give up. Somehow, someway, sometime, this is all going to be over and you'll eventually be posting and telling us all how good you feel. Remember, we're ALL here, helping you with our warm wishes, love, and encouragement, wishing we could do more. And, if there is more we can do, remember too that you've but to ask, y'hear me???

Love, and Very Gentle Hugs...
    -Dan

p.s. Throw in a good hair-mussing too! Just couldn't resist that!

• margaret_2007
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy, I am so sorry to hear of all your physical problems you are having. Please know I will be praying. Please post specific prayers you would like so we can ask directly what is needed. Now I will be praying for wisdom for the doctors, rehab personell & for the pain & discomfort you are experiencing. Please know that God loves you & has specific plans for you. I care & will continue to bring you to the throne where Christ tells us to come boldly. God bless you, dear one. Margaret

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Hugs of empathy to Kathy-
    You will be in my prayers as well!!

Been thru surgeries to try and end a couple years of chronic pain, only to wind up STILL in a lot of chronic pain after it all. Pain pills have done next to nothing for my chronic pain, so I don't use them.

I wound up having to take pain management classes, and learn to use meditation and pleasant distractions... Non-medicinal solutions... for my pain.

The chronic pain never went away. I still feel it constantly- Not just while moving around or typing. Also while standing still, sitting still, and even if I am just breathing.

And yet, I'm also learning how to not let it ruin my life. :)

I practice acceptance as much as possible, trying to think of pain as a companion that reminds me I am still alive, rather than as an enemy that wants me to suffer.

And with this perspective, I am slowly getting my life and mobility back.

I am here for you, and I feel I truly understand some, if not all, of what you are dealing with.
    Hugs,
    Grovespirit

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'm praying for you, Kathy. I wish there were more that I could do to help right now. I agree that miracles do still happen, so I'll keep sending them up to heaven on your behalf. I hope and pray that you feel better VERY, VERY SOON. (((gentle hugs)))

Blessings,
    Angela

• andreaz6wv
    14 years ago

Thinking of you. I don't post much Spring-Fall, but just started checking in again. Get well,

Andrea

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy... I've been wondering how you have been healing and am so glad you posted to let us know what it going on. Sounds like things are really tough for you now and I just don't understand why the doctors can't help you more. Please hang in there and know we certainly haven't forgotten you here. May God in heaven keep you in His care.

Cindy

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Kathy-so sorry to hear that you're feeling down! You will be in my prayers also.
    -B