Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
~A Petal Pushers New Year~

Posted by galium Z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 07 at 16:23

Petal Pushers
I couldn't let a month go by without The Petal Pushers.

I can't think of a better way to start the New Year than with seeds. If you're like me~the seed catalogs are probably over flowing from your mail box. Let's share last year's seeds with a Petal Pushers Pal.

RULES
1. Sign-up by Jan. 7th
2. Partners will be posted on Jan. 8th
3. Send 3-4 different types of your favorite seeds to your partner. If you have seeds from their exchange list that would be great too.
4. Please make sure that seed envelopes include botanical name (if known), common name, date harvested or purchased (seeds from a trade are fine also), your GW name and any other information that would be helpful to your Pal.
5. As far as the number of seeds to send in a seed envelope-I normally put about 15-25 seeds in an envelope. If you have an unusual or specialty seed (IE: Heirloom Tomatoes or small amount of commercial seed) 6-10 seeds are fine. The idea is to share what we have. I always enjoy trying something new.

Let's welcome in the New Year~because Spring is getting closer.
MariannPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ~A Petal Pushers New Year~

That sounds great, Mariann! I would love to join! Thanks for jumping in to host!!

A little aside - I just yesterday realized that 'galium' is a type of plant! I was perusing a gardening book, and there was a galium! Wow! I always wonder about people screen names, and yours makes sense to me now!

Becki

o

I'm in Mariann. Thanks so much for stepping up!

Hugs
Sassy

o

HAPPY NEW YEAR! girls, love all of you and wish you the best 2008!

Sassy

o

New Year
Comment Graphics at pYzam.com

I hope everyone has an AMAZING YEAR IN 2008!!!!

o

Our New Year's celebration bit the dust this year. Normally we drive up to my sister's farm in northern PA and celebrate with her and my brother, who also lives near by. My brother called me on Saturday and told me he has a cold. Also my sister's daughter had the flu while she was home over Christmas. My immune system is suppressed because of my meds. so we had to cancel. What a bummer..... I'm hoping we can go up in a few weeks of course by then the weather might be a problem. So, my DH bought jumbo shrimp and we gorged ourselves on shrimp cocktail. Never made it to midnight.

Becki-I've had a few people ask me about my screen name. Since it's also my email address I get questions from friends about it also. Most GW members are so clever when choosing a screen name. I just wanted mine to reflect my love of Horticulture.

Sassy and Becki thanks for signing up.
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.
Hugs,
Mariann
Photobucket

o

I'm bumping this up....

We need more sign ups.

o

I'll be happy to send some seeds to someone. Sure, Mariann, sign me up!

Jeanne

o

Mariann, I would love to join this round but unfortunately I have a limited supply of seeds. I don't have much of anything much less extras to send out. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Tracy

o

Oh, Tracy - I'll send you some if you want to join!!! I am SUCH a seed junkie!! I am actually selling some things on ebay to support my habit! The seed catalogues I've been getting are making me crave more and more! I made a smallish order from Veseys so far - the purchase there that I am most excited about is an orange geranium. It looks beautiful! I have orders just waiting for the money at Burpee and T&M - my shopping carts are somewhat full at those places! My most exciting ones from Burpee are the Big Mama tomato - these look great! And the Misty Lilac Wave Petunia - these things cost a LOT as plants around here - like $14 for a 6-pack, so if I can grow 15 plants for $5, I feel pretty good about that - especially as they look so pretty! Okay, I'm gushing! I'll shut up! Too much caffiene today!

o

• Posted by mellen 4a/5-ctrl. IA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 2, 08 at 22:25

Mariann, I would like to join this month, if I may. I have a lot of seeds that I can share even though they are not listed on my member page.

Becki, last summer a dear gardener friend and I went to NE Iowa between Oelwein and Independence to some Amish farms. They start their plants from seeds then sell the plants. And, gosh, they have tons of plants and different varieties--annuals and perennials--to sell. You were talking about the wave petunias which brought this to mind. They sold either 4 or 6 packs of them for $1. We stopped at about 4 or 5 different places.

My luck with seed starting is about 50/50, but I'm going to give it another try this winter.
Mary Ellen/Mellen

o
Mellen

Mary Ellen - I will have to see about that! Actual Wave petunias?? I am really excited to try growing my own - the exact ones I'm wanting! I did wonderfully this summer starting my own plants. I had a probably 90% success rate with the seeds I planted! I started them on my washer and dryer under a fluarecent (sp?) light in a Jiffy tray with their little disc things. Not the cheapest way to do it, but it worked REALLY well! So, since my hubby didn't get my greenhouse built this year (yeah, I never really figured that would happen), I told him I want a set of shelves in the basement with an adjustable light on each shelf. He said as soon as the basement is cleaned out, he'll do it. So, guess I'll be cleaning the basement soon!

I never noticed that you were in central Iowa! So am I!! South central, actually. I am near Pella. Are you anywhere close? Wow, that would be cool!!!

o

Jeanne, Mary Ellen and Tracy thanks for signing up. Tracy I sent you an email.

I'd love to find a garden center that sold plants for $1. We have approximately 8 garden centers within a 10 mile radius. Their prices are very similar. I got into Penta's last year. Tried to grow them but they didn't germinate. I built 2 shelves in our entertainment room quite a few years ago. The top shelf has house plants on it and the bottom shelf has lights. I can start about 4 flats of seeds. Last year I winter sowed for the first time and had 95% germination. My problem is I always over do it. I end up with plants with no place to put them. So, I've started giving them away.
Have a great day.
Mariann

o

Mariann and Becki, Thank you! I would love to get some more seeds! I have been faithfully collecting milk jugs and have been studying up on winter sowing and am so anxious to give it a go! Thank you thank you! You are the very best!

I have found a few seed sites but am looking for some that offer Hosta seeds as well as a good assortment of perennials. I saw that there is a huge selection on ebay but most of those are open pollinated. Are there any seed sites that you recommend for me to order a good variety of seeds from?

Mellen, those amish places sound fantastic! We have a large community of amish a little south of here. I should check them out. Thanks for the great tip.

Have a great day!
Tracy

o

I have very limited seed purchasing experience so far, but here is my observation - T&M have an incredible amount of perrenial and annual seeds, but not many hosta. Burpee catalogues have the most wondeful pictures, but their seeds tend to be more expensive, and they don't sell most perrenials as seeds, just plants (they must figure we don't have enough patience...) I placed my first order from valueseeds.com, but that was just yesterday - they have a small variety, but their prices and shipping are INCREDIBLY low, comparatively speeking. Veseys has decent prices, and it looks like good, decent priced seed starting supplies, but there again, I haven't received an order from them yet either, so I don't know. I just ordered my Parks catalogue, so I don't know much about them yet. Sorry - I don't think any of these sell much hosta though. I'll have to see who I can find that sells them! Anyway, these are just my own observations, so they probably don't mean a whole lot! : )

o

Thu, Jan 3, 08 at 13:29

One of my favorite cheap seed places is valueseeds.com like Becki mentioned above. All the seeds you want with shipping only 99 cents, I believe. I think they are excess seeds from Thompson and Morgan so they are good seeds.

Becki, I live NW of Marshalltown about 25 miles or 35 miles NE of Ames--little town of New Providence. I teach in Eldora. I have never been to the Tulip Fesival in Pella before, but I hear that it is quite something!!! Someday DH and I will have to drive down to it.

Gotta get back to work.
Mary Ellen

o

Tracy-You may want to try Pinetree Garden Seeds. They offer smaller amounts of seeds for lower prices. I buy quite a bit from them. I love T&M although they are pricey. I've never purchased from Value Seeds although I've been to the site.

Mary Ellen-I heard last year that Value Seeds is part of T&M.

I also buy from Park Seed.

I'm going to check through my winter sowing box and see if I have any extras I can send you Tracy.
Mariann

o

Marianne,

This sounds like a great swap, I was going to sit out this month but I have tons of seeds that I can send, several favorites also! Please sign me up and thanks for hosting this month!

Pixie

o

Wow, Mariann! I just checked out Pinetree Garden Seeds - what awesome prices!! I found them at www.superseeds.com. Getting an order ready there too! Help - I've gotta stop!! But, the nice things about finding these cheaper places, I can get rid of some of the things from the more expensive ones!! Yippee!!!

o

Becki-I just placed a $50+ order with them today. Check out their seed starting trays, inserts and labels.

o
I'm a seed buying maniac!!!

Awesome, Mariann! I have so many things I want from so many places!!! I am definitely taking off many of the items I was going to purchase from the more expensive ones (Burpee and T&M) I just have to have my Big Mama romas and my Lavender Mist Petunias from Burpee! Plus they have some nice geranium packs on sale - but I've wittled that cart down to just over $12 from over $50, so that's good! Whew!! Now I just need my Jiffy 7 pellets (that I am trying to find for the ABOLUTE best price), and the veggie seeds we still need to get. I still have another $14 cart ready at T&M on some pretty pink petunias and some gorgeous California poppies - fotunately I have a free shipping code there! And now my $19.50 cart at Pinetree (trying to keep it that low to keep the shipping down!) I can get my pellets at Gurneys for 10 cents each with a code, and that's the cheapest I've found so far - 384 of them (plus a half pound of sweet corn Dave wants to try) for $38.40 shipped. So, I'll keep looking, but that seems like a pretty good deal.

MUST KEEP FINDING THINGS TO SELL ON EBAY!!!!

o

WOW you ladies are gearing up for Spring!!! BOO HOO I haven't gotten one ONE single seed catalog yet!!! Guess I am going to have to do this online again. I sure do like curling up with a catalog though and its hard to do that on the computer! lol.

With this last lil freeze we had I didn't lose any of my babies that I had planted outside thank goodness. I didn't lose my tomatoes either. Its supposed to be warm again this weekend. Hopefully we will have a mild Jan. & Feb. I am soo ready for spring and summer!!!!

Yall are making my plant money burn a hole in my pocket thats forsure!!!! Means I am going to have to get my behonkis in gear!

o
Burning money

Pixie - I CAN NOT take the money from our regular money to do all this, so I HAVE to sell things on ebay or find other ways to make money! Gotta drive more people to buy preserves or something!! Thank goodness for Fishy! : )

o

Becki-what kind of preserves do you have???
Mariann

o

Mariann - you can take a look at my webite below (please forgive me, it still looks Christmassy - I've not taken the time to update it much yet!) - but what I have right now is a Strawberry-Kiwi preserve, and an Apple Pie Preserve. Not very diversified yet, I'm afraid! But, I won't try selling something until I think it is the best I have to offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

o

This sounds like a great swap, girls...but I'm going to have to sit this one out. I haven't been very good with seeds, and the few that I have, I need to save for "practice"! LoL
Hopefully, my seed sowing skills will improve this year, and I"ll be able to participate in these sorts of things next time around! :O)

Ya'll have fun!

Melissa

o

Hey Becki, email me and we'll discuss little Kenzie's b-day cake. I'll be happy to order it from you! Can I get a taste piece ahead of time? lol Just kidding!

Mariann gonna be sending you an email, be on the look out.

Sassy

o

I would love to join this exchange. I have two boxes full of seeds. Thanks! Happy new years everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Trade List

o

My little snowbunny, lol, though she'll prolly never see it snow much:)

Snowbunny 01/04/08

o

I would like to be in this swap. I have done several seed swaps and have way too many seeds. I could even adopt a Petal Pusher who is in need of extras to share. I still have one more envelope coming next week . . .

I was very good and only bought a few packs this year. Every time I get an e-mail from a gardening website, I delete it without looking. The swaps are definitely the way to go, if you are looking for a lot of seeds for the small budget!

Becky
ramazz

o

beckilove-I had the opportunity to look at your web site. I wish I had known you were doing this during the Holidays. I would have loved to send something of yours to my sister and her DH. Next year for sure.

hmle2217 and ramazz-I'll get back to you. Petal Pushers is an on going group. Are you looking to join the group or just this one swap???

HNB-I sent you an email.
Mariann

o

Morning all.

Mariann, Ramazz joined PP last month.

Sassy, Kenzie looks like she should be next to a big snowman. That angel must never frown! She is just one bundle of smiles! Sooo precious!

OK I am going seed shopping, can't wait on catalogs any longer, patience is a virtue I haven't mastered yet!

Ya'll have a great day!

Pixie

o

Thank you Sassy and Galium! Kenzie is so beautiful!!! Wow! I am so sorry, but I have NOT figured out how to send a cake through the mail!! Not with the frosting I like to use at least! And not without HUGE expense! If I get that figured out, I'll let you know!

Have fun seed shopping, Pixie!!! I haven't gotten seeds from them yet, but I would SO recommend Galium's suggestion of Pinetree Garden Seeds. They are INCREDIBLY reasonable in their prices! And have a really good selection! Okay, so I don't think anyone can compare with the unbelievable selection at T&M, but now that I see the prices at this place, I am totally won over. I can wait for the good seeds to filter down to the cheap sites (most of them at least!) Between them and valueseeds, you can get an incredible selection of seeds for a fraction of the price of the bigger companies!

Becki

o

Mariann,
I will be out for this month, not in to seeds here, hope you all have fun..:)Anita

o

With all the discussion on ordering seeds, I thought I would pass along this name: Garden Store-N-More. They have a web site. I ordered from them last month and they seem to have good prices and charged NOTHING for shipping! My seeds arrived very quickly and looked nicely labeled and all. Of course, I can't report on germination or how they grew yet.
Stay warm everyone. It went down into the teens here last night. That doesn't happen too often. Brrrrr....

Jeanne

o
Pinetree Garden Seeds

OMG!!! How did I miss the container plant seeds here???? Holy crud! My order will be going over $20 here I'm afraid! But, I don't think I'll need to order anywhere else!! THEY HAVE THE CHOCOLATE MINT COLEUS!!! For $1.95 for 5 seeds! Going back to look some more! : )

o
Me again!

Okay, I just realized they also have bulbs and plants!! Have you ever ordered plants from them? Do they grow well? I've ordered them from Michigan Bulb before, and they didn't grow worth, well much. Onion sets and seed potatoes! Strawberry plants - which I SO need!!! And gorgeous glad bulbs!!! Oh, man! I can tell already I am going to be a customer here VERY OFTEN! Oh, and they have my Misty Lilac Wave petunias here - 10 seeds for $2.95, rather than 15 for $4.95 at Burpee! I am hoping to make some hanging baskets and such to sell at Farmer's Market this year, so this is just the ticket! Buying my seeds at a nice low price! (Plus I want to make my own yard beautiful!) Okay, need to pace myself!! I hope everyone else is having as much fun looking at all this stuff as I am!! You guys all probably think I'm a freak now! : )

Becki

o

hlme2217 and ramazz we'd be very happy if you would join us.
Mariann

o

Becki which place are you ordering from?

o

www.superseeds.com - Pinetree Garden Seeds

Incredible prices! OMG! I love it!

o

I am laughing so hard here, I have been "window" shopping at the same place and everytime Becki types something I have to go back and look at it cause I have missed it! Sheesh my cart is a bit more than 20 bucks though!

Great site can't wait to really shop now!

o
seeds

Well I just as well join the club! Already bought a bunch off Ebay *grin*

o
Yikes a Pinetree Seedaholic!

Becki-You are so funny. Hope I haven't turn you into a monster.....LOL

Sassy-How many cute outfits do you have for that grand daughter of yours? I can't get enough of her sweet face.

o
Mine's more than yours!!

Pixie - mine is up to $49 - and it's JUST SEEDS!!! I've gotta stop! Help! Of course, that's cause I added several Wave petunias! I want a red, a white and a blue. Can't you just imagine those flowing out of a big container? It would be gorgeous! But, I figure for about $9, plus of course the soil and container, I can make 10 of those containers! And I've been drooling over the mint chocolate coleus in the Burpee catalog - but I really don't need 25 seeds - coleus can be propogated pretty easily through cuttings, right? Now hopefully sometime they will get the tie dye petunias, and spinner pink gerberas, oh, and sky blue petunia!! Ugh - I'm such a sucker for beautiful flowers!!

o
Seeds seeds seeds more more more

Petunias are one of my favorite flowers, I love the purple ones I have they smell sooo good! I have pink, red, white, purple and blue but the purple smell the best I think.

Becki, my window shopping came to 67.00, thank goodness I was only window shopping! Sheesh I have got to work on my trade page bad!

o

Mariann I just about believe that child has more clothes than I've had in the last 20 years, lol! I know she had at least 10 different Christmas outfits/dresses between me & Julie!

We do photo shoots all the time:))

I'll be back to tell ya'll how much trouble im in.

Oh, Mariann I'll email you shortly.

o

Well, trust me, mine was well over what it is now - although since I didn't check out, it all disappeared : ( Fortunately that has happened to me a few times already, so I printed off my cart this time, so I don't have to look through everything again and want more! I had already deleted several things, just to keep myself on the 2nd tier of postage prices. But, trust me, I could so easily probably spend $200 or more there, if I had the funds to do so!! I love the glads they have - hopefully I can go back in a couple months and order some of those! : ) But, I'm stickin' to seeds right now! And mine's just window shopping for now too, sweetie! (But I'm cleaning out my basement, looking for things to sell!! A cleaner house, and more seeds - who can complain about that?? It's a win-win situation!)

o

Would ya'll mind if this ol' petal pusher came back to the friendship garden? A lot has happened, much more to look forward to and I am sure 2008 will be great! It's been about six months since the back injury and I think I am finding some of my "stuff" again! ;-)

~faint
Photobucket

o

Okay, I just couldn't wait for a few of the things from Pinetree Gardens, so I place a little $20 order. I ordered the mint chocolate coleus, the misty lilac wave petunias, chocolate morning glories, black velvet rose geranium, and blue wave petunias.

Oh, also, if anyone is interested, valueseeds has Cascade Pink Orchid Mist petunias - 25 seeds for 99 cents! Very pretty! They are $3.55 for the exact same thing in the T&M catalog! Anyway, placed a SMALL order there too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cascade Pink Orchid Mist Petunia

o

Hello All;
I am not going to join this swap as it is seeds and I do not grow from seeds. I did harvest a bunch and hope to finish packing them up this month. I usually then offer them to newbies, over on the seed exchange there is usually someone putting seed envelopes together for newbies and I just send my packets as extras. I did order some daylilies the other day from another website that my new gardening friend sent me to. They were clumps of six or more fans for $10. Shipping for the first clump was $8 and then $2 for each additional clump. The woman was recommended highly and so I ordered three clumps and she sent me an e-mail, I am sending a check for $ 42.00. I will let you know how this works. I am already shaking my head as I have no idea where I am going to put them but how can one resist. I ordered Two Part Harmony, Winter Masquerade and Elizabeth Salter. They are all tall beautiful daylilies, I believe one of them was a double and two of them had eyes. Anyways, I really signed on to tell you that Becki's goodies are wonderful. I ordered some truffles for the holidays and they are so good I did not share them with company but have frozen them as a treat for me. I recommend her stuff too. diene

o

Oh, thank you, Diene! You are so sweet! That sounds like a great deal on the daylilies! Good job!

o

Thanks for letting me in. I think this will be fun. Last week, I ordered $20+ worth of seeds from grocoseeds.com. They have a great deal of variety of seeds and for the quantity for the price is wonderful. I highly recommend them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

o
~A Petal Pushers New Year~

Dee (faintheart) welcome back. I've wondered what happened to you. Back injuries are miserable. Great to see you post.

Becki-Make sure you get on T&M's mailing list. They half price all their seeds during the summer for a few weeks. I bought lots during that time.

Diene-I haven't ordered any daylilies this year. Last year I over did it. OK maybe just a few. LOL
Mariann

o

Dee, first of all, welcome back!

Second, for those of you who winter sow, know that I am doubly excited. I had only planted 12 containers so far and went out to look today and two have sprouted! These were planted on Dec. 23 and it has been down into the teens here at night, so those are some hardy seedlings. (Okay, if you don't winter sow, you won't understand my excitement, but some will. Smile!)

Jeanne

o

Jeanne-Yeah..... Mine don't usually pop up until spring by then I'm out there twice a day looking for a seedling. I know just how you feel. They are like little babies.
Mariann

o

Dee!!!! I completely missed your post! Of course you're welcome you nutty nut strutin' wid out ya stuff! So glad to see you on the boards again, we've missed you girl.

Diene....would love it if you'd email me her info, I've already been buying daylilies too:)

Jeanne congrat's on your babies! Its awesome isn't it!

Sassy

o

Mariann, Jeanne, and Ms Sassy one...thank you for the welcome back!!! It took forever it seems to find out exactly what I did to myself while setting a block path in a new hosta garden in June. I sprained my back, tore some ligaments and ended up with two herniated disks...then a couple of months later, I took an unexpected ambulance ride when I experienced a black-out and convulsions (a reaction to pain medications and the high humidity) in a local garden center. Really put a damper on my gardening efforts for the rest of the season but with lots of TLC, I returned to work full-time again in November and am ready for a new year and Spring! Oh...AND I am so excited to be in a new house this coming summer!!!

Hiiiiiiiiiii to everyone I haven't met yet! A little about me...My name is Dee. DH and I have been married 26 yrs and live on a farm in NW Iowa. DH farms and works at a local grain elevator and I am a veteran's advocate for local gov. I have a son (24) who has been living in Russia for two years and has just come back to the States (St. Paul, MN) to prepare for grad school. My daughter (22) lives at home while working part-time. When the kids went off to college, I began to garden again. With a new house in the works, I will have lots of planning and planting and transplanting to do. Our new home will be located to the west of our current home and there is a line of blue spruce to the north but nothing else other than an acre of open field.

I look forward to getting to know each of you and sharing from my gardens to yours!!!

~Dee

o

Awesome, Dee! I'm glad you are doing better now! That's 3 of us from Iowa!! Too bad we're all spread a ways apart!

It is so nice to read about all of you!

o

Good Evening All;
We were above freezing briefly today. I am just hoping that enough of the snow melts that I can locate my nativity scene and put it away until next year. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer.
Sassy, I sent you the information you requested via GW. Let me know if you do not get it.
diene

o

Hello, Hello, I really would love to join this exchange. I am new and can not wait to get involved. Please let me know the details. Thanks,

o

Welcome to Pedal Pushers Happyseed. Mariann has the rules for this month listed in the first post and we're just going to seed exchanges this month.

Just jump right in and make yourself at home. How long have you been gardening?

Diene, thanks so much, I got it!

Happy Sunday! Get lots of rest:)
Sassy

o

Jack and Curtis Pat and Emma

Hi gang, I had to show you some pictures of our snow bunnies! This was 2 days ago. We had 20 degree temperatures and lots of snow. Today it is all melted off and we should be pushing the mid 40's. The picture on the left is Jack with his friend Curtis and the one on the right is Patrick and Emma.

Hello to you, Happyseed! Welcome to Petal Pushers. Email Sassy with your address information, tell us all a little bit about yourself! We love to have new people join us! I think you will find that this group is very nice! Glad to have you with us.

Tracy

o

Hi,

I've been a member of GW for many years, but just starting to get back involved with plants and seeds. My mom was always involved in the swaps here, and now that she's gone, I feel I need to carry on in her place. I would love to join in your group, and in the swap in particular.

Deb

o

Tracy those snowbunnies look like they're enjoying that pretty snow. Gosh in back in the 65 here, feels warmer than that.

Welcome Deb! I remember your mother very well, I was her partner in Garden Circle once. Doris will be missed by alot of people. I was thinking of you on New Years Day, even though you do not know me. Hugs girl and jump in and play, we'd love to have you.

Sassy

o

Happyseed and momcat... glad to know that you are planning to join in. Welcome to the group! I remember Doris as well. She had lots of friends at GardenWeb.

Photobucket

Dee, wow, it sounds like you have been through a lot. Glad you are doing so much better. I missed you!

Jeanne

o

happyseed and momcat-Welcome to The Petal Pushers. This month is a seed exchange and the rules are posted at the beginning of this thread. Please send sassyd your full name and address. We're happy to have you and want to hear all about you.

Just stopped by to say hi. Had a little tummy bug last night and didn't get any sleep.
Mariann

o

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome.

I'm a divorced mother of 2 grown kids, 23 and 20. My 20 year old still lives at home. I love gardening and my dogs. We show and lure course with our Afghan hounds. Because of the dogs, my gardening area is small (anything in the fenced in part of the yard gets trampled).

My garden is pretty much a jumble of everything, things I thought were pretty, stuff that was marked down at the end of the season, plants from various garden club sales. I do have a lot of containers that I plant, also. I'm really getting into Japanese morning glories, and have a lot of new varieties I want to start this year (and I'm always looking for more!!).

I remember how excited my mom was when a swap or robin arrived. She would always call me up to come over and look at all the goodies!! I'm really looking forward to being part of this group.

Thanks for letting me join in the fun.

Deb

o

I'll be posting partners tomorrow.

Have a busy day planned. We are taking our DD to the Dr.'s. She had her Xray several days ago. Her birthday is tomorrow so we need to shop for food and a present. I usually make her ham and broccoli Quiche and Cheesecake for dessert. We are getting her a gift certificate to her favorite stained glass shop.

I'll check back in to let you know how her foot is doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Mariann

o

Mariann, I hope everything goes well for you today! You are such a thoughtful mom! I hope to hear good reports on her foot! I'm guessing that would be the best birthday present of all!
Becki

o

Happy Happy New Year!
Count me in on this swap, if not closed. I love seeds, gees my wish list from T&M is 65.00, got a $50 gift certificate for Burpee for xmas and now all the seed catalogs are spread all over the home office! Good thing I collected over 2lbs of wildflower seed, that seed is pricy.
I have been super busy to even look at the GW site. Harvesting went well, as did my fair entries, blue ribbons, red ribbons, and white ribbons. My daughter and her friend took 2nd for the scarecrow contest.
I haven't even cleaned up the late falling leaves, but ready to Ws and get the propagation bed ready. I hired 2 kids to help me this year.
If anyone has broom corn seed, I would like that..going to make brooms for next xmas gift giving.
Ok enough blabbing,
Liz

o

Hi busylizzy! Nice to meet you! What did you ribbon in? Vegies or flowers? I love the fairs! We grew up going to watch my cousins in the barrel races! 4H'ers all the way!

Mariann, I am sending good wishes for your DD's appointment! Happy Birthday to her too! Emma's b-day is on Thursday. I can't believe she is going to be 3 already. Time is flying, the kids are growing fast. She was so tiny when she was born. All of 6 lbs 10 oz. Now she is 33 lbs and nearly 34" tall.

I just got home from hanging out with my best friend. She asked me over for coffee tonight and we were sitting out on the front porch yapping away all evening. Can't believe we were sitting outside in the middle of January! It is 65 degrees and I am loving it! Ohio winters are getting stranger and stranger.

Tracy

o
PPNY-Swap Partners

Photobucket
This is the list of seed swap partners. Be sure to email your partner for their address. Remember this swap is for 3-4 envelopes of different types of seed.

busylizzy-sends to-mellen
beckilove-sends to-busylizzy (also tracyvine)
momcat-sends to-beckilove
sassyd-sends too-momcat
happyseed-sends to-sassyd
pixieluvplants-sends to-happyseed
faintheart-sends to-pixieluvplants
sandlapper_rose-sends to-faintheart
galium-sends to-sandlapper_rose (also hazelnutbunnny)
ramazz-sends to-galium
hmle2217-sends to-ramazz
mellen-sends to-hmle2217

Hope I didn't forget anyone. If I did please let me know.
Mariann

o

Hello to everyone and Welcome to those I haven't met yet. I hope everyone has had a great weekend and first of the week!

I FINALLY received my first seed catalog in the mail yesterday!!! WHOOOHOOO!!!! I am soo excited, decided I am going to do a veggie garden this year too! (fox just rolls his eyes at me lol but he will sure nuff eat the veggies!) I have tomatoes growing here and there in various gardens but I have marked off an area that will be a Veggie garden, so in between "spring" cleaning the house I am going to do some soil prep and rows for it.

I had a bulletin board that I covered with empty seed packets, looks really neat but I still need some more packets. After its done I am going to antique it to make it look old.

Happyseed please email me with your addy and some seed likes and wants.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

We took our DD, Carol, to the Dr.'s yesterday. He said that the bone is about 70% healed. It will never be straight because it was a spiral fracture. She is very happy because he said she could lose one of the crutches or use a cane. She still needs the boot though and she can only put weight on her heel. Afterward we all went out for lunch and did some food shopping. Her birthday is today so I made a cheese cake this morning. I'll make the quiche a little later and we'll have a salad. Her DH is bringing her over about 5:30pm.

Jeanne-I have your addy. Seeds will probably go in the mail tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day. It's 70 degrees here.....
Mariann

o

I'll let you know when my seeds arrive, Mariann. So glad there was good news about your daughter. I know all of you are ready to celebrate!
Dee, I will be sending you an e-mail message to get your address.
I have been looking through my seeds and updating my seed list. I have had such fun swapping seeds! Hard to believe all that I have accumulated. I hope I have a bountiful year with my winter sowing!

Jeanne

o

Dee,
I haven't talked with you in soooo long! Nice to see you!

Dee was my first swap Pal! ;)

I'm not participating in any swaps this month. I'm taking a break. My african violet collection needs some work. I have to repot all the plants, divide babies. Plus, a friend sent me 75 streptocarpus leaves to propagate. I'll have soooo many babies by spring! It's really neat to be able to get 'live' plant material in January! Our goofy temps were in the 60's this week! Tonight dropping 30*'s. Gotta love Chicago weather, LOL!

Deb

o

I am so happy to hear that your daughter is happy, Mariann! That is so awesome! I hope you all have fun tonight celebrating her birthday!

Pixie - I'm sure Fox will LOVE the veggies! I am SO excited to try all my new ones! I finally gave in and ordered my Big Mama tomatoes from Burpee. They are about the only place I can find them, and I am DETERMINED to try them this year! I was so mad last year that I hadn't started some. Now, if they don't live up to my expectations, I can know that I tried! : ) Burpee had a couple of geranium seeds on sale as well that I ordered. A whopping $12 order after shipping, so I think I did okay! Good thing I keep finding things in my basement that can find a new home on ebay!! ; ) Now to just come up with a couple hundred more so I can get EVERYTHING I want! Some dahlias from bloomingbulbs, some glads and lots more seeds from Pinetree Gardens - oh, I think that just about does it for now! That's good - I'm getting there! Oh, no wait! I still want to order my football mums from bluestone perennials - they look so pretty! But, then, I think I'll be done!

If anyone else is looking for glads, I noticed at Pinetree Gardens, they have a bulb collection, where they have bulbs left over and they send you 100 for $15! It says there will be at least 5 different varieties, and they will be labeled. But, they are their choice what they send, of course! That's a deal you just about can't beat! I think I would be happy with ANY of their glads! So pretty!

I am hoping that some of my seeds come within the next day or two so I can send some to Tracy and Liz!!! Otherwise, they'll just have to put up with some that I already have! : )

Take care, everyone!

Becki

o

Oh, crud! I spoke too soon! I found something else! I've been looking, as I said previously, for Jiffy 7 pellets, as cheap as I can get them. Well, I was searching for that, and came across the website I have been needing!!! I'll put the link below - they have the pellets for 8 cents each, minimum order of 50. I can get 400 of them for $32! That is 2 cents cheaper each then I was going to get them. Plus, they have all kinds of plastic pots and trays, hanging baskets, and the like - all for wonderful prices! If you order $75 worth, they will take off 15%! So... I guess I'll be trying to come up with more money, to make an order there! I was hoping to find hanging baskets somewhere, so I could try to sell some of those at farmer's market, and I was hoping to sell some tomato plants and such, so I was really hoping to get something decent, so I don't have to sell things in cool whip tubs and yogurt cups! Anyway, just have to keep up my ebaying!! It's giving me GREAT incentive!!! : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Novosel Enterprises - Check it out!

o

Evening ladies!!!

Ms Pixie, an email will be sent to you shortly from my hotmail account. Let me know if you don't get it. :)

Mariann, great news about Carol!!! Wish her a happy birthday from me too! You had to mention cheesecake, now I am craving. lol I absolutely loveeeeeeee cheesecake. What kind did you make?

*waving @ Debbya* Good to be back!!! I can just imagine the "AV and strep nursery"! You will have to post pics to show everyone that beautiful collection you have. Your weather is a bit warmer but it is still unreal here too with lots of melting. Seems snow is on the way for the weekend though.

Becki, you are addicted. As a life member of seed, plant and bulb enablers, I can feel your "pain" otherwise known as excitement!!! ;)

Tracy, those snowbunnies are adorable! To think just a few days later, you are out on the porch enjoying a cuppa!

Hoping everyone is having a great week!!!

hugsssss,
Dee

o

Mariann, I am so happy for your DD! What a great birthday present for her! I hope she has a wonderful time with you this evening! Give her a hug from me and tell her I said congratulations! I am just thrilled for her!

Becki, you've got it bad! I might have to stage a seed addict intervention for you! LOL! You send those seeds whenever you feel like it. I am just thankful for your generosity. You are a sweetheart! I found another seed site! It is WaterSunTogether.com, they have .99 to $1.09 seed packets. Free shipping if you order more than 10 packs.

Dee, Thank you! They do have so much fun out in the snow. Now we have rain. Buckets of it! I am so happy that we had a nice break from the cold temps and a fun night out on the porch! Life is grand!

Here is a link that might be useful: WaterSunTogether.com

o

Dee - you are absolutely right - I am SO an addict! But, it is just such a marvelous process that makes the most incredible plants!!!

I saw that site earlier today, Tracy! Looks awesome, especially considering they are all Burpee seeds! The thing about seeds is you can get SO MANY DIFFERENT plants at just a small fraction of what it would cost to buy plants!! And you can find so many more varieties! I love it! And they ship so easily too!! You can send someone a large variety of seeds for under $1! Okay, I'm done gushing...

o

beckilove...I don't like ordering from Burpee cuz of their prices, but I LOVE THE BIG MAMA tomatoes. I make about 100 jars of salsa every summer and about 40 jars of tomatoes. big Mama is awesome, large and meaty! I drool over the Lisianthus balboa Blue Rim EVERY year, but I refuse to spent that amount of money on plants...so I go without. Maybe some year I will feel "rich" enough to order them. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: My exchange page

o

Sorry, don't know how that link got screwed up to watersuntogether.com but I clicked on it and it didn't work. So I am reposting it.

Kat, this site sells burpee seed at a lot less than burpee prices. I didn't see lisianthus in their listings but maybe if you emailed them? Worth a shot. I fell in love with those last summer. I collected the seeds and am planning on winter sowing them. I won't start them until March though. Mine are are a pale pink, don't remember which variety they are though.

Here is a link that might be useful: This link will work to watersuntogether.com

o

Ooh, I got a Jackson & Perkins catalog today (at least, I think I got that name right!). They're mostly roses..which is GREAT for me, because I'm still working on my rose garden!
But...
MAN! Are these guys expensive! But, OH! Are these roses GORGEOUS!! I am dedicating an entire flower bed this year to English Roses...The big old fashioned ones. Oh, I am in LOVE with an orange one in this catalog! Wow, is it ever GORGEOUS! I'd have to hock my youngest child to pay for it, though! LoL :O)

*sigh* It's too bad that roses don't start from seed!! LoL

I did get a Burpee catalog today..but I hesitate ordering from them, simply because I've noticed on several of their items, they don't have a picture..just a sketch of a plant. I'm wondering....if they can't grow it to take a picture of it...does that mean I can't grow it, either?? LOL
Hhhmmm. But it DOES make me hesitant, for sure.

Michigan bulb sent me one, also. Has anyone ordered from them? I also got one from someone else...but I can't remember who right now! UGH!

o

Oh, Elizabeth wants me to order the Jaskson and Perkins catalog after we saw an ad for them on PBS on Sunday morning! I'll bet it's beautiful! Every so often I take out my David Austin book of roses and just drool!

Melissa, they must have sent you a different Burpee catalog than they do me! Mine are always filled with mouthwateringly gorgeous full-color photos, that make me drool! I've never seen a drawing in there. I wonder if you got one from a knock-off of them? I would go to the Burpee website and request a catalog - unless that's what you already did, and they just think you girls down in Arkansas don't need pictures!

I too think the Lsianthus are beautiful! Yep, when I'm rich...

Melissa, from what I understand from the rate and review vendor board, I would stay away from Michigan Bulb and the other places like them. I believe someone reffered to them as "Death by Mail". I did order several things from one of those companies many years ago, and though they lived for a little while, I don't think any of them made it much longer than a year. Well, I'll take that back, my white obedient plant and my painted daisy are still around, but everything else (and there were many) didn't make it. I don't think it was Michigan Bulb though, I can't remember who. Anyway, just be careful. Has anyone used Breck's bulbs? They send beautiful catalogs too, but they are kind of pricey...

Okay, enough chatter for now - gotta get the kids on the bus!

Becki

o
New Seed Source

Kat,

I have a site that carries 14 varieties of lisianthus. It is T's Flowers and things. Her seeds are $1 and most come in packs of 10. Her shipping is on a sliding scale based on the number of packets you are ordering. 4 packets are $2.50 to ship. She has a very nice selection. I havent' ordered from her before but will be looking up on the vendor ratings.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.tsflowers.com

o

Oh, Tracy!! You did just have to turn me on to ANOTHER seed site! It looks like she is out of the blue rim, but she has a blue picotee she is guessing it is just like the blue rim. Soon as I have a little more money, I guess I'll have to be placing an order there! BTW - did you take a look at her irises?? Wowza! And she has daylily seeds. Looks pretty good!!!

o

Melissa-

As for "*sigh* It's too bad that roses don't start from seed!!" - you can plant rose seeds. It's just that they will not necessarily look like the parent plant. I just harvested some seeds from the Austin English rose 'Heritage' If you want to try to grow them, let me know and I will send some to you. Many Austin English roses have not grown well for me. I still have three- Heritage, Graham Thomas, and Bibi Mazoon. At one point I had ordererd lots of them and was hopeful, but they were bred to enjoy the weather in England and I think it was much too hot for them here! Bibi Mazoon is an unsual one. It's not growing and blooming to its potential but is still alive! LOL 'Heritage' and 'Graham Thomas' seem to do well despite the heat and humidity here in SC.
(I also have seeds on 'Fourth of July" - not an English Austin - but a healthy and hardy climbing rose if you would like to try those seeds as well. I will say that I have not had any rose seeds germinate yet - tired them last year - but last year was my first year to even try winter sowing.)

Jeanne

o

WOW all this talk about seeds has me itchin at the pockets!!! One more day then I get my "seed/plant" allowance lol. Just looking at all the sites ya'll have posted has made my list go crazy!!!

We had a huge branch fall from our huge oak in the backyard so whooohooo Im going to have a fire in the pit tonight and do some more yard work by firelight lol. OHHH Sad note here... Im sure alot of ya'll have heard me talk about how Rebs chases squirrels and goes fishing in my fish pond? Well yesterday evening he actually caught my big Babe (Koi). I really think he hit her with his massive paw and then didn't know what to do. Needless to say I just have one Koi left now.

Dee I got your email, thanks sweetie. I will answer it in a bit. Well gotta run for a while so talk to ya'll soon.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Becki, I was really enjoying TS! I saw her dl seeds. My worry on those is that she hasn't named them, only the parent plants. You kind of have to guess what the sport will look like. Am I off base on that? I need to go back and check out the irises still.

Trina! I feel horrible about your fishy! That stinks. I can just imagine what Rebs was thinking after it happened. He isn't used to actually catching anything!

o

Oh, Trina! I am so sorry to hear about your Koi! After you've talked about them in the past, I had to find out what they were, as I had never heard of them. (I know, I must live in a shell or something!) I am sorry to hear that!!

Tracy - I actually have very few daylilies right now, so it doesn't matter TOO much to me what they look like. I ordered 2 packets of daylily seeds - inexpensive ones. I thought the parents on both looked nice, so I figured these should make decent offspring. Oh, hybridizing of daylillies would be fun! : ) And, I ordered one packet of each of the Lsanthius she had. I was afraid when other people saw this, she might run out quickly! Anywho, I'll wait on the irises, but I see some I really want!

We got this FarmTek catalogue today (I think that's what it is), and I noticed on the front that they have greenhouses. I showed Dave, and he started looking through it. He was looking at these huge greenhouses for like $3000 and up - I was like, honey, here's all we need, the backyard hobby greenhouses, and he says, "Oh, no, the real money is in the plants!" I think he is taking my idea of selling something here or there at farmer's market to a WHOLE new level!!! Here I was this morning looking on that website I posted last night, saying, "No, you don't need a whole case of 50 8" Euro Hanging Pots (which, mind you, only was $32 something), be realistic, you probably won't use more than 10!" I was just playing around with my shopping cart of course - I can't fork out that kind of money yet!! Of course if I could stop buying seeds, I'd save up much more quickly!!

o

Tracy-I never name my daylily crosses. One never knows if they are infringing on someone's patent. I always use the parent plant names. Most people do the same.

I may order a few more seeds for spring planting. I love Lisianthus. I tried to grow them once but they had damping off.

My DD and I are suppose to go to the movies tomorrow. We are seeing Alien vs Predator.

I started my Winter Sowing today. 6 containers with 10 different types of seed. Some of the containers I divide in half.

Jeanne your seeds went out today as promised. HNB I sent yours out as well. Becky (ramazz) I replied to your email.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes for my DD. I really appreciate it and so does she.

Photobucket

o

Trina,
Sorry to hear about your fish! It's so hard to really trust animals around others. Toby almost ate my son's hamster! I made the mistake of showing "Greedy" to him and he chomped down as hard as he could! I pulled Greedy back so quickly, luckily nothing happened. I never imagined that Toby would go after Greedy.

I just ordered 1000 pots from Novosel, what good prices! Free shipping on orders over $75, plus a percentage off the order too. Thanks for posting the site Becki!

Deb

o

Deb - I'm so glad it helped you! 1000 pots? Were they the 11 cent ones? Or 9 cents, I guess if you bought the case of 1000. That is such an awesome price!! Their sale items are really good sales, it looks to me, at least! Do you sell your plants, Deb, or it that all for you?

I am so sorry to hear of all you girls' pet problems! That is so sad!

Becki

o

Mariann, Thank you for telling me that! I had no idea that was how it's done. See what a newbie I am to DL's! Is this just for hand pollinated seeds? Tell me more.

Deb, great deal! Are those all for your AV's? You must have a huge collection! I would love to see pictures.

Pets surprise us sometimes, I remember when we were kids and our cat got out. She was 9 years old, declawed and never spent any time outside before this. By the time we caught her we had a collection of 2 sparrows and 1 chipmunk dropped at our backdoor as presents. Ginger had only been out overnight. What a hunter she was. Animals still have that instinct even after years of domestication.

o

Thank ya'll for all the condolences for my fish. Now I have one male Koi just swimming around in there. Tracy your right, it shocked the hades outta Rebs! He wouldn't even get near it as I pulled it outta the pond! I just wonder what he's gonna do the day he catches a squirrel! The big bully baby!

OK NOW JUST one more day till Official Seed Shopping begins!!!! I can't wait!!!!!

o
Gone Fishin'

Trina,

I was cracking up as I was picturing him clamping down on the fishy. I had this image of how people act when they finally hook one after hours of fishing. They look all shocked and then excited and then finally it clicks that they need to start reeling it in! I was busting up at the image of Rebs thinking the same thing! LOL!

o
drawing of Rebs

Photobucket

Here is a drawing of Rebs that I did this evening, had a sharp pencil and was actually a tad bored.

o
Done Fishing

OMGoodness Tracy, I had just walked outside and the fishies were swimming around then I heard a huge splash and turned around and Rebs was sitting there just looking at the water on the first tier, so I walked over there and saw the fish and he just looked at me like "mom its not playing with me anymore!!!" He hasn't been back around the pond since! Not even to get a drink!

o

Wow, Pixie! What a talented artist you are!! I am very impressed!!! Keep it up, girlfriend!!!

o

Wow, Great picture, Trina! You sure are a talented little Pixie! :O)
Poor Rebs! (I know...poor little koi, too!) I bet he feels awful. Our RottenLab - Riley - liked to play with our pet duck (milkyway) and our pet goose (butterscotch). She'd walk up behind them, and just nose their booty's a bit. Just to see what they'd do. Of course, they'd quack at her and then run away (it's so fun to watch a duck run!! LoL)...which just made her think they were playing, and the Rottweiler instinct kicked in, so she'd chase them. She never hurt them, until one time she got Butterscotch by the wing, and pulled too hard. Then, she tried to love on her, and make her better (she was licking her back & wing), but I think her Lab instincts kicked in, and she thought..."Yummy!" Because then, she kept nibbling on Butterscotch's back! Not hard, but enough to take all the feathers off, and rub the skin raw! But the skin got infected, and so she ended up dieing anyway.
Riley really did feel bad, she pouted for a week afterward, and kept going back to the place where she'd loved on Butterscotch, looking for her. :O(
I think animals tend to feel things a bit more deeply than humans normaly give them credit for. It's amazing, really.

Jeanne~ I would love to try some seeds! :O) I wasn't sure if they would germinate or not...I've wondered, but since none of the roses I have produce hips or seeds, I couldn't try it. I'm excited to be working on my Rose garden again. Right now, I've got 13 roses (4 of those are from Remy & 1 from Medo!). My hubby bought me a dozen rose bushes last year for Mother's day, but half of them didn't make it through the dry summer. So I've got 3 flower beds that are empty. I'd ~like~ to do cottage roses, but I'm not picky! All roses are beautiful!

We're moving to Virgina in a year or 2, and I told my hubby I wasn't going unless he buys ACRES of land, and I get at least 5 acres for ROSES & DAYLILIES! LoL He actually agreed!! Wow, he loves me, doesn't he?? !!

This will be my first year growing ANYTHING from seed ~ in something more than a container~. I try a few things last year, basil and a few varieties of flowers (mostly marigolds! LOL)....so I'm excited to see what happens! I didnt' have the best of luck last year, So this will be a great learning experience for me, definitely!
I've been looking on Freecycle for containers and things, to get a good start. Otherwise, I'm going to have to wait till spring, and borrow my Daddy's tiller...to get some beds going! Although, that excites me just a little! And come to think of it, I'll have to do that anyway...I"ll need beds eventually! LoL

Oh! Another question! How long does it take an AV leaf to root & start putting out other leaves?

And how do I get Daylily seeds started?

Okay...I'm finished now! LoL :O)

o

HNB-I've attached a link that describes daylily breeding/hybridizing.

Tracy-Self-pollination of seeds from a daylily doesn't mean you will get the exact same flower as the parent. The only way you can get an exact duplicate is by division. Daylily genes are so mixed up through breeding programs. If you planted 5 self-pollinated seeds you can still get 5 slightly different flowers. It's just that it's fun to try.

Pixie-Sorry you lost one of your fish. By the way, you draw beautifully.

Didn't make it to the movies today with my DD. We are going to try for tomorrow.

My DH just told me that my seeds arrived from Park. Need to go have a look.
Mariann

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizing and Growing Daylilies from Seed

o

Thanks Ya'll, thought I'd show ya'll the finished drawing of Rebs, I wasn't really happy with it so I "finished" it.

Photobucket

It is really pretty outside here today. I know it will get cold again but it seems like springtime already! I have to thank everyone who has helped me in anyway with my gardens, they are going to be beautiful I know!!

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Becki,

Thank you SO MUCH! You sent a HUGE assortment of seeds! I LOVE Everything! WOW! This is really fantastic!

Here is the list of all the great seeds!

Columbine-Dragonfly, and mixed Columbines
Echinacea-White Swan
Calendula- Pink Surprise
Sweet Basil
Asarina-Trailing Snap Dragons, and Mini Red Snap Dragons
Coleus-Rainbow
Dwarf Sunflowers
Four O'Clocks
Petunias
Begonias-Royal Picotee
Marigold-Janie Flame
Cosmos-Purity
Morning Glories- Mount Fuji
Bells of Ireland
Celosia- Pink Candle
Aster- Crego Mix, and Toucan Tango
Hollyhock
Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate
Luffa Gourd
Ornamental Pepper Shu
Foxglove- Mixed
Chelone Turlehead- Hot Lips

I can't wait to get planting! I will be sorting all of these and doing a little research! Can't wait to see my sprouts! Thank you so much!

Tracy

thank you

o

Hi All,
Just checking in,
looks like you all are having a great swap again, Maybe next month?
Wish I was into seed, I bet I could save a ton of money:0)
Well, of to get busy even if it's wrong, Have a great day all..:)Anita

o

Hi,

I still haven't heard from Happyseed. Happy please email me your address.

Thanks,
Pixie

o

I am so glad you got it, Tracy! Right back at you, honey! I hope you get lots of plants out of them, girlfriend! I still have to get out Liz's envelope - I'm workin' on it! I hope everyone has a great weekend!!
Becki

o

OK, I am in for it now. I just ordered seeds from a place called Specialty Perennials. They have a HUGE selection of Echinaceas! All the ones that sell for $9 to $17.50 per plant. I am ready to start hopping up and down, way too excited! The seed packets vary in size but most come with 50 seeds. I ordered Doubledecker, Atrorubens, Primadonna Deep Rose, Primadonna White, Bright Star, Leviathan, Ruby Star, Amado, Cygnet White, Rocky Top Hybrid, Geraniums Phaeum, albaflorum, Splish Splash, and Digitalis Apricot! The seed packs range in price from 2.00 to 5.95 and shipping for all of it was 2.75! I think I need more milk jugs! LOL!

They have a mostly positive rating at Dave's but quite a few negatives as well. My order is supposed to ship in 10 days so I will let all of you know what happens in the end.

Mariann,
Thank you for filling me in on the self pollination. I was curious as to the offspring turning out the same with each seed that the mama produces. Maybe I will give it a shot this summer. See what kind of babies I will get! Hopefully not ugly ones.

o

Well call me absolutely shocked! I made an order from that T's flowers that Tracy called to our attention that had Lsianthus seeds - made the order on Wednesday, and it got here already today!!! Boy am I shocked! Especially since I have several seed orders that have been ordered since 1/2, and this is the last order I made, and the first one to arrive! Here is what I got -

10 Dahlia Harlequin Mix seeds
10 Lsianthus Echo Blue seeds
10 Lsianthus Echo Blue Picotee seeds (look like blue rim)
10 Lsianthus Echo Champagne seeds
10 Lsianthus Echo Misty Blue seeds
10 Lsianthus Echo Pink seeds
10 Lsianthus Echo Pink Picotee seeds
10 Lsianthus Echo White seeds
10 Lsianthus Echo Yellow seeds
50 Lsianthus Mix (mostly doubles) seeds
5 Daylily seeds Einee Allegro x Lucky Pierre
4 Daylily seeds Moonlit Masquerade x Breakfast Delight

All this for $15.75 shipped VERY QUICKLY!! I am totally impressed! Of course, I don't know about germination, as I just got them, but as far as shipping and packaging, I give her an A+! Thank you so much Tracy for suggesting her! I can't wait to give these a try! It says the Lsianthus need to be started already in January or February, so I guess it's a good thing I ordered them now! Can't wait to see what they look like!!! : )

o

Becki, that is terrific! I am so glad that Theresa is so on top of her orders! I placed a small order on Thursday so I hope to be seeing it soon then! How great! I love it when good things happen!

Tracy

o

WHOOHOOO Ok enough is enough!!! I JUST placed my FIRST seed order of 08!!!! Went to TS seeds after reading Becki's post and did it! Whew got the seed shopping monkey off my back NOTTTT!!! But it does feel good to know that I have new seeds coming, honestly I am still learning and really have no idea what some of the seeds I got look like but oh well I know I will like them just the same ! On to my next place of order lol.

I have been sprinkling seeds in my neighbors yard. She is 97 yrs old but if ya knew her you wouldn't think that. She loves plants and flowers so I tend to her "gardens" . I have been using "spare" seeds and seeds that I have propogated from my flowers here for her beds. I figure that as much as she loves her gardens and flowers and she can't work in them now that at least this will cheer her up when she sees the blooms come springtime or before. I go over and she and I walk through her yard with her telling me all about certain plants and where they came from. Its really very interesting listening, better than a historic novel when it comes from a live person.

Oh well. Just had to let ya'll know that I overcame my monkey.
Smiles,
Pixie

o

I just tried to update my exchange page and nothing happened. It just went back to the original without changes. Anyone else have this problem???

o

Mariann, I think they're still working on the system, not sure. I haven't tried to do anything to mine today. Afraid to now, lol. I'm so sad, I haven't had a chance to list the seeds I have, which are nothing compared to some girls but I don't do alot of seed growing. Some, not alot.
As for who ever has my name for the swap, I only have a few seeds listed that I want, but there's lots more I love to have, so please don't feel you have to get those. I love all flowers!

Sassy

PS....sorry I haven't had a chance to read back, hello everyone!

o

Mariann, my seeds arrived today. Thank you so much! Great choices. I received: Sweet Genovese Basil, Bouquet Dill, Orange Fantasia Swiss Chard, and Picotee Cosmos. As for your lists, I think GardenWeb has been updating some software so it may take a few days to get squared away. I have been in the process of updating my trade lists and have been saving the list in Word - later I will copy and paste and get it into GardenWeb.
Dee, I should be able to mail your seeds on Monday. I had run out of the little padded envelopes but I bought some more so now just to get to the post office.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, that is a great group of seeds that Mariann sent you! The Genovese Basil sounds like it will be scrumptious! I have only seen Lemon basil, plain basil or sweet basil, will have to look up the Genovese! I make my own pesto in the summer with the sweet basil that I grow, every now and again I mix it with a little mayo for turkey sandwiches. Very yummy with the lettuce, tomato and onion.

I got my seed order yesterday from WaterSunTogether.com! They were so fast! I think I placed the order on Wednesday! Here is the list of what I got:
Strawberry Hybrid Impatiens
Blue Star Columbine
William Guinness Columbine
White Swan Echinacea
Evening Primrose Sunny Snowdrops
Blue Fescue Ornamental Grass
Better Boy Tomatoes
Melody Hybrid Spinach

I also ordered Sunshine Scarlet Sweet Peas but they were out of stock so they credited my account and sent a note of apology that they didn't have them for me. All in all this was a very nice experience!

Tracy

o

Awesome, Tracy! That sounds like a great place to order from as well! I love that we are finding so many great places to order from!!!

I have gotten several different basils from trades, but have never heard of Genovese! I am going to try to plant some of each that I have this year - sounds so yummy! Do any of you use a dehydrator to dry your excess herbs? I've been wanting to get one, but my hubby thinks it's a useless expense. I air dryed bags and bags of parsley 2 years ago, which worked okay, but it wasn't ideal. What I need to do is just have a little container herb garden that I can bring indoors, so I just always have fresh herbs to use!

Becki

o

There are over 100 different types of Basil from what I've read. Genovese is the best basil for pesto and Italian dishes. Pinetree Seeds has a Basil Mix which had about 20 or more different basils in it. I actually have some of those seeds on my exchange list.

Jeanne-I'm glad your seeds arrived. Your exchange page was very helpful hence swiss chard, basil and dill.

My DH's birthday is today. I just finished baking him a cake. Our DD and her DH will be here about 4pm. Of course dinner will be served in front of the TV. The Giants are in the play offs.

Becki-I have a dehydrator. I've had it for about 15 years. There are some inexpensive ones out there these days. My DD loves dried apples. I don't use it as much as I use to.

We are suppose to get some snow tonight and into tomorrow. Fascinating since I was out raking leaves in 60 degree weather last week.

Have a great day,
Mariann

o
Go Giants!!!

Go Giants! Of course only so they have to come to Green Bay next week, and we don't have to go to Dallas! Sorry! ; )

I will have to add some of that basil mix to my next Pinetree seeds order! Sounds wonderful!

Mariann - your dh and my daughter share a birthday! Elizabeth is 8 today! She and her 3 year old sister Lily are really at each other today though, so it hasn't been very pleasant so far. Hopefully things will calm down when the cousins get here!

Have a great afternoon all!

Becki

o

Becki,

I don't use a dehydrator. Years ago I saw an episode on Martha Stewart and she used netting like in a bride's veil. That is what I do now. I just lay the leaves out flat and then roll them up in a tube and tie the ends and then hang in a dark dry area of the basement. Works great for me. I do that with my basil, oregano, thyme etc.

Mariann, I will have to put in an order for the genovese basil then! I love my pesto!

o

Becki, I don't use a dehydrator either, I use cloth screening (similiar to the netting Tracy uses) and do the same, lay flat, roll up and hang in the bard, its always dark and dry in there. Cole and Alan used to call it my witches barn because I would have herbs hanging from the lower rafters and I use the glass (older model type with the glass stoppers) spice jars and there is always a umm mortar and pestle (was told to use plain english on that one lol wink wink) out there. I do my grinding on a pc of plywood covering the pooltable. (makeshift workstation for herbs and plants lol)

I LOVE basils of all kinds, I even freeze some and give it to fox's uncle who is a chef, he uses alot of that and chives and :) loves me lol for the fresh basil!

o

Laughing at Miss Pixie! LOL! Mortar and pestle! ROFL! She's talking about me girls! That is because I don't know SPANISH and had no idea what she were talking about! Tell them all the name of it now, Miss Trina. Can't remember what you called it.

Trina was telling me about this thing that she used and I had no idea what it was, she said yes you do. I said No, NOOOO CLUE! Turns out it is the spanish term for Mortar and pestle. LOL!

Know what I use to grind my dried herbs in? An electric coffee grinder! They have them for 4 bucks at Marc's discount store. Stick a bunch of dried leaves in, put the lid on and press the button for a few seconds. Zip! Ground herbs! Freezing them works great too for having fresh herbs in the winter around here. I lay mine flat on a damp paper towel and then roll them up and place them in a ziplock bag, then pop them into the freezer. They can last 3-6 months if they are air tight.

o

LMAO Ducky, I was tryin to be discrete about it lmao!!! Molcajete is what I call it lol. BY the way I also use a cast iron coffee grinder to grind dried herbs and thinbgs in lol but its not electric but it does work great lol. Some things ya just need a molcajete though, I use it for hot sause, pasta sauce, all kinds of things. lol

LMAO ma sweet Ducky!!!

o

Had to out myself there Miss Trina! I was chuckling too much and had to share. LOL! We are all sick here except for Hubby and Jack. We have some awful virus with really high temps. The little ones have been pushing the red line on the thermometer for the last day and a half. We have had readings of 104.1, 104.2, and topped out at 104.6, Thankfully we have been able to get those temps down and manageable but have been piggy backing motrin and tylenol, doing cold baths, popsicles, Jello, icepacks etc. You name it and we've done it! I think they are all under control now. Emma's temp seems to be breaking, Dan is on the way down, Pat is the only one that seems to be trying to climb back up again. Crossing my fingers that this is close to the end. I have it too and am exhausted. We were supposed to have Emma's birthday party today but had to cancel. We are just too contagious.

I need to go do my rounds and feel heads to see if anyone started cooking again. Night all! Stay healthy!

o

Oh, Tracy, you poor thing!! And your poor little kiddos! That is so yucky! Poor Emma!! Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, honey! Sending you BIG hugs (but glad I can do so across the 'puter, so I don't have to get any germs! : ) I hope it is nearly done, and you all feel SO MUCH better VERY soon!!!!

o

Becki-Please say happy birthday to Elizabeth for me.

Tracy & Pixie-Very clever herb drying techniques. I don't have a basement nor any place to dry herbs. So I'll have to stick with the dehydrator. I do freeze my herbs in small canning jars after they are dried.

I actually use bridal veil netting when I self-pollinate flowers. I sew up the sides and slip it over the flower and tie the bottom with stretchy plant ties. When the flower opens I take off the netting and use a soft paint brush to pollinate. I do that several days in a row. When the flower dies and is dried I snip it off and it's already in a little bag.

Tracy-Hope the little ones are getting better. I bet Emma is disappointed about her birthday. How old is she? My mom planned a party on my 8th birthday and the night before I came down with the mumps. So glad children are inoculated against that these days.

We had a nice day yesterday. My DH said the best present he received was the Giant's winning. We did eat at the Dining Room table at half time. I don't like sitting in the Living Room with a plate of food on my lap.

Hope everyone has a great day. No snow today just rain again.
Photobucket

o

OHHH Tracy I sm sorry ya'll are ill and hope that ya get better fast. Im sorry bout Emma's party. Give hugs and loves and you get better!

Mariann I have wondered how to self polinate so thanks for sharing that.

Becki I hope ya'lls day is great!!

Smiles everyone

o

Thank you for all the well wishes everyone! We are still feeling yucky today but at least the temps are a little lower.

Mariann, Emma turned 3 on Thursday. She doesn't know that she had a birthday yet. I can sympathize on your birthday with the mumps, that is terrible. I was the same age as you and came down with the Chicken Pox. Totally miserable for my birthday straight through Christmas! Now they have shots for that too! Wonders never cease.

I have a question about the self pollinating that you mentioned. Do you cover the bloom as it begins to open to ensure that insects don't pollinate before yo do?

Thanks for all the long distance hugs, that would be the only safe kind around here! LOL! I hope you all have a great day!

Hugs,
Tracy

o

Thank you for all the great ideas for drying herbs! If I don't get a dehydrator, I will definitely use the mesh idea! That sounds so awesome! Mine, I hung upside down in bunches with paper lunch bags around them. I cut some holes in the lunch bags for air. I don't know where I read to do that, but it wasn't very nice to look at! I tied the tops of each with a ribbon, and hung them all on a chain - it was very ugly! I had also read that the smaller jar you store your herbs in the better, so I had my sister save all her baby food jars for a while. She brought me GOBS of little jars - way too many for what I had dried, so I was storing them in the basement, but hubby got sick of seeing them, and recycled them all.

And the coffee grinder sounds wonderful!! It sounds like it would work great! I'll have to look into that!

o

Tracy-I cover the bud with bridal veil netting/tulle. I buy the very fine white soft tulle. Some tulle is very stiff. The holes are very fine and it allows me to see when the flower is ready for pollination. A gnat might be able to get inside but I've never seen any. The weight of the fabric doesn't bend the stems over. I've also used floating row fabric the same way. Just fold it over and sew up the sides to make little bags. As I said in my other post I use the stretchy plant ties to hold it in place. This method works well for even the the most fragile of stems. After I pollinate I cover the flower back up to keep pollinating insects out.

It's been wet and dreary here today. I need some sun to perk me up.

o

Hi Everyone!
Ooh, Tracy....We've had a rough week here, too. Adora came down with pinkeye (in both eyes!!) last Tuesday, and battled that plus a cold all week. THEN, Saturday night, she started running yet another fever and also started vomiting. YICK! So, naturally, she's passed THAT around to everyone now. I am at work right now with a 102 degree fever, but can't afford to miss. *sigh*
The kids will be out of school until the last one is fever free for 24 hours. So that will be a few more days, at least, as William just spiked a fever an hour or so ago.
Oh well, at least I kept everyone from getting the pinkeye! Yay! For small miracles! :O)
I think what happened, I told them to stay away from her, and not love on her when she had pinkeye...but since she was better on Saturday (so we thought) everyone started making up for a week's worth of loving! LoL

ANYWAY! Some good news! I received some very nice packages of seeds today from Mariann! Aubeni took them as soon as I opened them, she was tickled to death to have her own flowers (she thought they were hers, because they were in their own "baby" envelopes! LoL). But I got her a box of her own to keep the seed packs in, so she can help me plant them this spring.
Thank you for sharing with us, Mariann! I am so excited to start sowing!!! :O)

o

Hey girls! Hope the old, young and in between are feeling better now! So sad to see sick kids, hugs to them all. I've been so afraid Kenzie was going to get sick, but so far so good.

Question to you younger girls, you can email me privately if you want. Vaccinate or not? Seriously, I need opinions, like I said you can just email me, not trying to start a war here:) Julie just has some serious concerns..... Thanks in advance!

Sassy

o

Sassy-
I'll take on your question...out in the open, even! LoL
I'm going to give my honest opinion here, and say that while I know vaccinations have saved many lived & prevented lots of diseases ( and 4 of my 5 kids have had vaccinations )....I will say though, that I have ALWAYS had my reservations about them. I've just known too many people whose children have had serious side affects from them (one is even paralyzed). When I was pregnant with Adora, one of my midwife's children (she was 6 years old) died after complications from her boosters for kindergarten. It was a VERY sudden & scarey thing...certainly nothing I'd ever want my kids to go through, and definitely NOTHING they ever EVER tell you about in the DR's office.

Certainly, those cases are few and far between....BUT, also enough for me to seriously THINK about them first.

That being said....I've always felt it was up to the parents to decide what was best for their children. I make decisions for mine, based on what I feel is best for them. It's hard to say, really. I just think that the best thing to do is gather LOTS of information...both from LIVE people, and from the internet. But make sure the source is reliable, because there are many sites out there just wanting to scare you into doing things the way THEY would.

I do think that, more often than not, they ARE safe. But I do believe the medical DR's need to make the side affects more clear. And parents should know EXACTLY which shots and what doses are being given. Sometimes, the standard amount is simply too much for a baby. One of my children has a weakened immune system, and if he's given too much (i.e.- the "standard" dose), it will do more harm to his system than good.

So...I think it's all a matter of personal choice, and of doing your research and being educated about them. :O) Also, be sure to research the laws in your area...the regulations as far as school admitance goes. I think that all public schools require up to date shots for kindergarten admitance...but it is also VERY easy to get out of it, too. There is a simple form (for Arkansas, anyway) to fill out, stating religious or personal convictions for not getting immunizations, if you choose to not get them.

Hope I didn't step on any toes! :O)

o

Thanks sweetie! And thanks "You know Who" for your email. I feel the same way, but it really is scary. And it will be Julie's decision. I've just read horror stories on both sides.

Thank you girls,
Sassy

o

One thing that I wonder about too is this: Most of us adults are immunized with the same things our kids are getting shots for. We basically are given a little of the disease to develop an immunity to it. If we then have kids, isn't it possible that we pass on a bit of that immunity to our children? I wonder if our kids should be tested to see if they have developed a natural immunity to some of these illnesses before they are scheduled for shots.

o

Sassy-You've raised an issue that is being debated quite a bit these days. The topic of autism in children occurring because of immunizations has raised many questions.

Immunizations have saved hundreds of thousands of children's lives. Smallpox has been eradicated due to world wide vaccinations. Polio also use to be common in the U.S. and infected thousands every year prior to the vaccine. Mothers infected with Rubella can pass it to their unborn fetuses. Children and adults do die or suffer from permanent disabilities. Measles (Rubeola) can lead to encephalitis, pneumonia and miscarriages. Mumps can also lead to serious problems. Parents these days don't see these illnesses. Children in an iron lung are a thing of the past. If every parent decided not to immunize their children how long would it take for an epidemic to start? Then again what if MMR immunizations are causing autism. What then?

Tracy-Immunization from mother to child is called Naturally Acquired Passive Immunity. This type of immunity only lasts between 6-12 months. It is reinforced if the baby is breast fed. Regardless it is still usually short lived. I suppose the only way you can be sure is to have an child who hasn't been inoculated tested for antibodies. I was tested for Rubella antibodies when I was 18 because my mom said I never had it. I did however get German Measles when I was 20 and let me tell you I was very ill. There were no vaccines at that time.

Hope I haven't added more flame to the fire.

o

EEGADS, ya'll have been busy on this thread since I last logged in!, :-) last week for me was miserable sick cold, work, meetings for appointed township auditor and the State Farm Show, needless to say....I slept all day Saturday!
Now caught up with swappin emails I can join in.
Becky, did you say T's Flowers ships seeds promptly? I have ordered lissy plants and had a hassle getting them, all leggy, they arrived so late for this zone, not a one flowered in time. That was my experience 3 years ago, haven't tried since.
Someone asked prior what I enter in fairs, I enter flowers and veggies, decorated wreaths, arrangements, pressed flowers and this year preserves. Been entering fairs since I was in 7th grade. I finally convinced my 8th grader to enter when she saw the premiums for scarecrow, her and her friend won 2nd place big ribbon and 75.00
Suprised at so many who don't start from seed, I cannot imagine a year without doing so. 24 geraniums were sowed Sunday and are starting to germinate. Need to get the blue fescue seed started and can shake my head at the 4.95 per plant price tag in stores or catalogs. Winter sowing started last night with the hardy perennials and soon I will be getting the heat mat/lights going for maters and pepper plants. Last year I only bought 1 hydrangea, one hibiscus on sale for 3.00 each, a 6 pack of tunias and 6 cabbage plants off my nun friend at the convent.
One of these years I should see what all I sow from seed versus buying plants would be!

o

I went through so much when my Son Paul went to kindergarden. I made the mistake of not letting him go to preschool (and allowing him get exposed to germs). Paul did have all his routine baby shots, school shots. We've had no problems with them. But, when he was exposed to other children he was sick with everything- including Fifth disease something that my Dr. had never seen! The poor kid had pneumonia, pneumonitis (a form of pneumonia), strep throat many times to the point that they said he was a strep throat carrier), pink eye, exposed to tape worms, chicken pox, measles, mumps, etc. All with in one year, our Dr. even did a lukemia test, because he couldn't understand why Paul picked up everything. My Daughter was a newborn when Paul started kindergarden, so that explained why I didn't have him in daycare/preschool. I really didn't need it. When Sarah turned three, I enrolled her in everything, just to expose her to germs! If we didn't immunize our children, I can't even imagine what would of happened to Paul! Paul grew out of this catch everything phase, and by first grade had perfect attendance! But, for that first year, we had such a rough time! Sarah was never sick much- probably because Paul exposed her to everything! She had chicken pox, measles, mumps, strep by the time she was a year old!

Deb

o

Wow, I'm shocked that your doctor had never seen fifth disease! My understanding is that is a fairly common childhood disease. One of my kids had it - I think William. Between my 4 kids, I think mine have had all you listed, except measels, mumps and tape worms, oh, not pneumonitis either. We've had hand, foot and mouth disease, though! But, not all that in one year - that would be SO SCARY!!! I'm glad Paul is okay now! Oh, not a disease, but we had the dreaded lice one year too! When Elizabeth was in kindergarden - I don't know where she would have gotten it but at school, but I was the first one to call the school and let them know it was going around, so the principal made me feel like we brought it into school - I was not too happy! Then, Lily and I got it, and as she was a baby, and we were constantly cuddling, we had a really hard time shaking it, as it would just keep going from one of us to the other. That was a HORRIBLE month or so! Finally we got an Rx from the doctor for it, as the over the counter shampoos just weren't taking care of it, and you should only use them so many times anyway. If I never have to look at a nit comb again, I will be happy!! Fortunatly, we kept the boys from getting it! Anyway, totally getting off the subject! Sorry!

Even though I have my reservations about immunizations, I think they do good for a far greater amount of people than they do harm to. All my kids have had all their immunizations. It's too scary to me not to have them! The only one I am very much questioning is the one for girls that immunizes them against HPV. I'd be curious to hear what the rest of you think of that. I'm very much on the fence about that one!

BTW - got my order from Pinetree Garden Seeds today! Thanks so much for introducing me to them, Mariann! Way cool!

I got two catalogues from Parks today! My understanding is that their seeds are okay, but don't order their plants? Or am I wrong about that? What about bulbs? There sure are some beautiful plants and bulbs in there! As each catalogue comes in, the drooling starts again! And my wish lists get longer and longer!! Anytime in the future one of my relatives asks me what I want for a gift (not likely, but I can always hope!), it's going to be a gift certificate to one of the MANY seed and plant suppliers!!! Oh, to have free money to spend at these places!!!!

o

I didn't have such a great experience with Park seed. I ordered 3 packages of mixed violet seed and NONE of them came up. So disappointing! I also ordered a clematis that was so tiny (a seedling) it died with in a week after planting!

The Dr. had to look up Paul's Fifth disease in books, he claimed it was a disease from a long time ago? Luckily, Paul didn't have tapeworms! He was only exposed to them while in the hospital for pneumonitis. The child in the bed next to him had the worm and was passing in the toliet Paul was using. Once I found out what he had, we asked for a private room! Tape worm produces a high fever (which Paul had at the time with the pneumonitis), so that's why the hospital paired up the two kids. Both high fevers, both dehydrated.

Deb

o

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advise. I should have put in my post that I'm ole school so I had to think vaccines were best. It is troubling to me, all the associated problems out there, but I too, have to agree that overall, it just makes sense to do it. And I have said this to Julie, which, I believe still feels the same. My step-daughter won't consider it for her son, but like Julie, ultimately, its her choice, not mine. I know she'll do the right thing for McKenzie.

Thanks girls, I appreciate you help.

Sassy

o

This recipe looks soooo good, I'm planning on making it over the weekend when the temps dip below 0*

CHUNKY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP~ Wolfgang Puck
Serves 6 to 8
CHUNKY CHICKEN SOUP:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium leeks, trimmed, thoroughly rinsed, and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
8 cups good-quality canned chicken broth
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 pound small white button mushrooms, quartered
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen peas with pearl onions
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
Salt
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup heavy cream
POT PIE DUMPLINGS:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leafed (Italian) parsley, plus extra for
garnishing
First, prepare the soup. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium
heat. Add the leeks, onion, celery, and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle and stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, taking care not to let
the flour brown.
Remove the pot from the heat and, stirring constantly, slowly pour in 6 cups of the broth. Add the carrots, mushrooms, peas and onions, chicken, 1
teaspoon of salt, the tarragon, and the white pepper. Return the pot to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the chicken is
done and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 cups of broth in a separate shallow saucepan and add 1 cup of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
For the dumplings, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. With a pastry blender or the tines of a table fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. In a small
bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and parsley, then stir them into the flour mixture until a dough forms.
Reduce the heat under the boiling broth to maintain a simmer. Using a greased teaspoon, gently scoop up rounded teaspoons of the dough and carefully drop them into the broth. Cook until the dumplings are well risen
and cooked through and float on the surface, about 7 minutes. Keep them warm in a small amount of the broth until ready to serve, reserving the remaining
cooking liquid.
Before serving, stir the cream into the soup. Adjust the soup's thickness, if necessary, by stirring in some of the broth in which the dumplings cooked. Taste the soup and add more salt to taste, if necessary. Add the cooked dumplings, raise the heat under the soup pot to medium, and heat
through until the soup is almost but not quite boiling.
Serve the soup immediately, ladling it into large warmed bowls and arranging the dumplings on top. Garnish each bowl with extra parsley.

Let me know if anyone tries it before then!

Deb

o

I received a wonderful assortment of seeds today from Becky (ramazz). She sent me the following:
Salvia nubicola
Salvia forskaohlei
Balsam Impatiens
Campanula glomerata
Garlic Chives
Angelica gigas
Virginia Knotweed Painter's Palette

Thank you so much Becky. I don't have any of these.

Deb-the recipe looks yummy. I'd love to hear how it turns out.
Mariann

o

Deb, I agree with Mariann that sounds yummy girl. I doubt I'll have a chance before you make it so please let us know how it turns out.

I'll be getting my seeds out shortly. Going through them now.

Have a good night everybody.

o

Wed, Jan 16, 08 at 19:59

Does anyone have a name or address for hmle2217? She is the person I am supposed to send seeds to this month. I just e-mailed her using the e-mail address from GW. I'm hoping I get a response from that.
Thanks folks,
Mary Ellen

o

Deb, that sounds great! I adapted a chicken pot pie recipe to make with biscuit dough dropped on top and then I bake it in the oven so we end up with fluffy biscuits baked right in to the pot pie filling. So good on a freezing cold day! Very similar to wolfgang's recipe but I just do peas, carrots and onion.

I make a rue with butter, onion and flour and a bit of pepper, stir in 3 cups of milk and chicken stock each, add salt to taste and cook on high till thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Give it another taste test to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Then I pour it over the cooked cubed chicken and vegies in a 13 x 9 baking dish. Then I drop the biscuit dough by the heaping tablespoon on top and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.

The biscuits are nice and fluffy on the inside, crisp on the tops and still have that dumpling quality on the bottoms. Yum!

Sorry Mel, I don't have her addy.

o

Mellen,

I responded to your email! Thanks.

Huong

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

o

Thu, Jan 17, 08 at 23:07

Thanks, Huong, I got your e-mail and address. Been nice conversing with you! Mary Ellen

o

Jeanne,

Thank you SO much for my surprises!!! They couldn't have come at a better time as it is a bit stressful at work with budget time and I need a diversion. :)

I received Geum 'Lady Stratheden', Stokes Aster, Balloon Flowers, Marigold 'Jaquar', Vitex Chaste tree, and Gladiolus seeds. All are new varieties to me and I am excited to see them grow!!! I absolutely love glads! I've never seen glad seeds and think those will go in a planter so I can bring them in to overwinter and give the corms room to grow. This will be soooo fun!!!

Thank you, Jeanne!!!

It's miserably cold here today with windchills of -20*. Though it's my day off, I still have budget work to finish and will bring it in to the auditor before day's end.

Trina, your surprises will go out in today's mail. I plan on bringing it to town when I get make the trip to the office later in the day. You should get it on Tuesday I think with Monday being the MLK holiday.

Have a great day all and stay warm!!!

hugsssssss Dee

o

I received my package from Deb today! Thank you so much Deb!!! She sent:

Sunflower "Jade"
Columbine "Rose Barlow"
Sweet Peas "America"
Scabiosa "Ebony & Ivory"
Sunflower "Strawberry Blonde"
Sweet Peas "Captain of the Blues"
Columbine "Tower White"

Thank you SO MUCH Deb!! I see I can take several things off my wishlist! : ) I can't wait to plant them! Thank you, thank you!!!

Becki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here