Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

~A Petal Pushers New Year~

galium
16 years ago

I couldn't let a month go by without The Petal Pushers.

I can't think of a better way to start the New Year than with seeds. If you're like me~the seed catalogs are probably over flowing from your mail box. Let's share last year's seeds with a Petal Pushers Pal.

RULES

1. Sign-up by Jan. 7th

2. Partners will be posted on Jan. 8th

3. Send 3-4 different types of your favorite seeds to your partner. If you have seeds from their exchange list that would be great too.

4. Please make sure that seed envelopes include botanical name (if known), common name, date harvested or purchased (seeds from a trade are fine also), your GW name and any other information that would be helpful to your Pal.

5. As far as the number of seeds to send in a seed envelope-I normally put about 15-25 seeds in an envelope. If you have an unusual or specialty seed (IE: Heirloom Tomatoes or small amount of commercial seed) 6-10 seeds are fine. The idea is to share what we have. I always enjoy trying something new.

Let's welcome in the New Year~because Spring is getting closer.

Mariann

Comments (148)

• beckilove
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, Pixie! What a talented artist you are!! I am very impressed!!! Keep it up, girlfriend!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Wow, Great picture, Trina! You sure are a talented little Pixie! :O)
    Poor Rebs! (I know...poor little koi, too!) I bet he feels awful. Our RottenLab - Riley - liked to play with our pet duck (milkyway) and our pet goose (butterscotch). She'd walk up behind them, and just nose their booty's a bit. Just to see what they'd do. Of course, they'd quack at her and then run away (it's so fun to watch a duck run!! LoL)...which just made her think they were playing, and the Rottweiler instinct kicked in, so she'd chase them. She never hurt them, until one time she got Butterscotch by the wing, and pulled too hard. Then, she tried to love on her, and make her better (she was licking her back & wing), but I think her Lab instincts kicked in, and she thought..."Yummy!" Because then, she kept nibbling on Butterscotch's back! Not hard, but enough to take all the feathers off, and rub the skin raw! But the skin got infected, and so she ended up dieing anyway.
    Riley really did feel bad, she pouted for a week afterward, and kept going back to the place where she'd loved on Butterscotch, looking for her. :O(
    I think animals tend to feel things a bit more deeply than humans normaly give them credit for. It's amazing, really.

Jeanne~ I would love to try some seeds! :O) I wasn't sure if they would germinate or not...I've wondered, but since none of the roses I have produce hips or seeds, I couldn't try it. I'm excited to be working on my Rose garden again. Right now, I've got 13 roses (4 of those are from Remy & 1 from Medo!). My hubby bought me a dozen rose bushes last year for Mother's day, but half of them didn't make it through the dry summer. So I've got 3 flower beds that are empty. I'd ~like~ to do cottage roses, but I'm not picky! All roses are beautiful!

We're moving to Virgina in a year or 2, and I told my hubby I wasn't going unless he buys ACRES of land, and I get at least 5 acres for ROSES & DAYLILIES! LoL He actually agreed!! Wow, he loves me, doesn't he?? !!

This will be my first year growing ANYTHING from seed ~ in something more than a container~. I try a few things last year, basil and a few varieties of flowers (mostly marigolds! LOL)....so I'm excited to see what happens! I didnt' have the best of luck last year, So this will be a great learning experience for me, definitely!
    I've been looking on Freecycle for containers and things, to get a good start. Otherwise, I'm going to have to wait till spring, and borrow my Daddy's tiller...to get some beds going! Although, that excites me just a little! And come to think of it, I'll have to do that anyway...I"ll need beds eventually! LoL

Oh! Another question! How long does it take an AV leaf to root & start putting out other leaves?

And how do I get Daylily seeds started?

Okay...I'm finished now! LoL :O)

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HNB-I've attached a link that describes daylily breeding/hybridizing.

Tracy-Self-pollination of seeds from a daylily doesn't mean you will get the exact same flower as the parent. The only way you can get an exact duplicate is by division. Daylily genes are so mixed up through breeding programs. If you planted 5 self-pollinated seeds you can still get 5 slightly different flowers. It's just that it's fun to try.

Pixie-Sorry you lost one of your fish. By the way, you draw beautifully.

Didn't make it to the movies today with my DD. We are going to try for tomorrow.

My DH just told me that my seeds arrived from Park. Need to go have a look.
    Mariann

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizing and Growing Daylilies from Seed

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Thanks Ya'll, thought I'd show ya'll the finished drawing of Rebs, I wasn't really happy with it so I "finished" it.

It is really pretty outside here today. I know it will get cold again but it seems like springtime already! I have to thank everyone who has helped me in anyway with my gardens, they are going to be beautiful I know!!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Becki,

Thank you SO MUCH! You sent a HUGE assortment of seeds! I LOVE Everything! WOW! This is really fantastic!

Here is the list of all the great seeds!

Columbine-Dragonfly, and mixed Columbines
    Echinacea-White Swan
    Calendula- Pink Surprise
    Sweet Basil
    Asarina-Trailing Snap Dragons, and Mini Red Snap Dragons
    Coleus-Rainbow
    Dwarf Sunflowers
    Four O'Clocks
    Petunias
    Begonias-Royal Picotee
    Marigold-Janie Flame
    Cosmos-Purity
    Morning Glories- Mount Fuji
    Bells of Ireland
    Celosia- Pink Candle
    Aster- Crego Mix, and Toucan Tango
    Hollyhock
    Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate
    Luffa Gourd
    Ornamental Pepper Shu
    Foxglove- Mixed
    Chelone Turlehead- Hot Lips

I can't wait to get planting! I will be sorting all of these and doing a little research! Can't wait to see my sprouts! Thank you so much!

Tracy

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Just checking in,
    looks like you all are having a great swap again, Maybe next month?
    Wish I was into seed, I bet I could save a ton of money:0)
    Well, of to get busy even if it's wrong, Have a great day all..:)Anita

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi,

I still haven't heard from Happyseed. Happy please email me your address.

Thanks,
    Pixie

• beckilove
    16 years ago

I am so glad you got it, Tracy! Right back at you, honey! I hope you get lots of plants out of them, girlfriend! I still have to get out Liz's envelope - I'm workin' on it! I hope everyone has a great weekend!!
    Becki

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

OK, I am in for it now. I just ordered seeds from a place called Specialty Perennials. They have a HUGE selection of Echinaceas! All the ones that sell for $9 to $17.50 per plant. I am ready to start hopping up and down, way too excited! The seed packets vary in size but most come with 50 seeds. I ordered Doubledecker, Atrorubens, Primadonna Deep Rose, Primadonna White, Bright Star, Leviathan, Ruby Star, Amado, Cygnet White, Rocky Top Hybrid, Geraniums Phaeum, albaflorum, Splish Splash, and Digitalis Apricot! The seed packs range in price from 2.00 to 5.95 and shipping for all of it was 2.75! I think I need more milk jugs! LOL!

They have a mostly positive rating at Dave's but quite a few negatives as well. My order is supposed to ship in 10 days so I will let all of you know what happens in the end.

Mariann,
    Thank you for filling me in on the self pollination. I was curious as to the offspring turning out the same with each seed that the mama produces. Maybe I will give it a shot this summer. See what kind of babies I will get! Hopefully not ugly ones.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Well call me absolutely shocked! I made an order from that T's flowers that Tracy called to our attention that had Lsianthus seeds - made the order on Wednesday, and it got here already today!!! Boy am I shocked! Especially since I have several seed orders that have been ordered since 1/2, and this is the last order I made, and the first one to arrive! Here is what I got -

10 Dahlia Harlequin Mix seeds
    10 Lsianthus Echo Blue seeds
    10 Lsianthus Echo Blue Picotee seeds (look like blue rim)
    10 Lsianthus Echo Champagne seeds
    10 Lsianthus Echo Misty Blue seeds
    10 Lsianthus Echo Pink seeds
    10 Lsianthus Echo Pink Picotee seeds
    10 Lsianthus Echo White seeds
    10 Lsianthus Echo Yellow seeds
    50 Lsianthus Mix (mostly doubles) seeds
    5 Daylily seeds Einee Allegro x Lucky Pierre
    4 Daylily seeds Moonlit Masquerade x Breakfast Delight

All this for $15.75 shipped VERY QUICKLY!! I am totally impressed! Of course, I don't know about germination, as I just got them, but as far as shipping and packaging, I give her an A+! Thank you so much Tracy for suggesting her! I can't wait to give these a try! It says the Lsianthus need to be started already in January or February, so I guess it's a good thing I ordered them now! Can't wait to see what they look like!!! : )

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Becki, that is terrific! I am so glad that Theresa is so on top of her orders! I placed a small order on Thursday so I hope to be seeing it soon then! How great! I love it when good things happen!

Tracy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

WHOOHOOO Ok enough is enough!!! I JUST placed my FIRST seed order of 08!!!! Went to TS seeds after reading Becki's post and did it! Whew got the seed shopping monkey off my back NOTTTT!!! But it does feel good to know that I have new seeds coming, honestly I am still learning and really have no idea what some of the seeds I got look like but oh well I know I will like them just the same ! On to my next place of order lol.

I have been sprinkling seeds in my neighbors yard. She is 97 yrs old but if ya knew her you wouldn't think that. She loves plants and flowers so I tend to her "gardens" . I have been using "spare" seeds and seeds that I have propogated from my flowers here for her beds. I figure that as much as she loves her gardens and flowers and she can't work in them now that at least this will cheer her up when she sees the blooms come springtime or before. I go over and she and I walk through her yard with her telling me all about certain plants and where they came from. Its really very interesting listening, better than a historic novel when it comes from a live person.

Oh well. Just had to let ya'll know that I overcame my monkey.
    Smiles,
    Pixie

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just tried to update my exchange page and nothing happened. It just went back to the original without changes. Anyone else have this problem???

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Mariann, I think they're still working on the system, not sure. I haven't tried to do anything to mine today. Afraid to now, lol. I'm so sad, I haven't had a chance to list the seeds I have, which are nothing compared to some girls but I don't do alot of seed growing. Some, not alot.
    As for who ever has my name for the swap, I only have a few seeds listed that I want, but there's lots more I love to have, so please don't feel you have to get those. I love all flowers!

Sassy

PS....sorry I haven't had a chance to read back, hello everyone!

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Mariann, my seeds arrived today. Thank you so much! Great choices. I received: Sweet Genovese Basil, Bouquet Dill, Orange Fantasia Swiss Chard, and Picotee Cosmos. As for your lists, I think GardenWeb has been updating some software so it may take a few days to get squared away. I have been in the process of updating my trade lists and have been saving the list in Word - later I will copy and paste and get it into GardenWeb.
    Dee, I should be able to mail your seeds on Monday. I had run out of the little padded envelopes but I bought some more so now just to get to the post office.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Jeanne

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Jeanne, that is a great group of seeds that Mariann sent you! The Genovese Basil sounds like it will be scrumptious! I have only seen Lemon basil, plain basil or sweet basil, will have to look up the Genovese! I make my own pesto in the summer with the sweet basil that I grow, every now and again I mix it with a little mayo for turkey sandwiches. Very yummy with the lettuce, tomato and onion.

I got my seed order yesterday from WaterSunTogether.com! They were so fast! I think I placed the order on Wednesday! Here is the list of what I got:
    Strawberry Hybrid Impatiens
    Blue Star Columbine
    William Guinness Columbine
    White Swan Echinacea
    Evening Primrose Sunny Snowdrops
    Blue Fescue Ornamental Grass
    Better Boy Tomatoes
    Melody Hybrid Spinach

I also ordered Sunshine Scarlet Sweet Peas but they were out of stock so they credited my account and sent a note of apology that they didn't have them for me. All in all this was a very nice experience!

Tracy

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Awesome, Tracy! That sounds like a great place to order from as well! I love that we are finding so many great places to order from!!!

I have gotten several different basils from trades, but have never heard of Genovese! I am going to try to plant some of each that I have this year - sounds so yummy! Do any of you use a dehydrator to dry your excess herbs? I've been wanting to get one, but my hubby thinks it's a useless expense. I air dryed bags and bags of parsley 2 years ago, which worked okay, but it wasn't ideal. What I need to do is just have a little container herb garden that I can bring indoors, so I just always have fresh herbs to use!

Becki

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There are over 100 different types of Basil from what I've read. Genovese is the best basil for pesto and Italian dishes. Pinetree Seeds has a Basil Mix which had about 20 or more different basils in it. I actually have some of those seeds on my exchange list.

Jeanne-I'm glad your seeds arrived. Your exchange page was very helpful hence swiss chard, basil and dill.

My DH's birthday is today. I just finished baking him a cake. Our DD and her DH will be here about 4pm. Of course dinner will be served in front of the TV. The Giants are in the play offs.

Becki-I have a dehydrator. I've had it for about 15 years. There are some inexpensive ones out there these days. My DD loves dried apples. I don't use it as much as I use to.

We are suppose to get some snow tonight and into tomorrow. Fascinating since I was out raking leaves in 60 degree weather last week.

Have a great day,
    Mariann

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Go Giants! Of course only so they have to come to Green Bay next week, and we don't have to go to Dallas! Sorry! ; )

I will have to add some of that basil mix to my next Pinetree seeds order! Sounds wonderful!

Mariann - your dh and my daughter share a birthday! Elizabeth is 8 today! She and her 3 year old sister Lily are really at each other today though, so it hasn't been very pleasant so far. Hopefully things will calm down when the cousins get here!

Have a great afternoon all!

Becki

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Becki,

I don't use a dehydrator. Years ago I saw an episode on Martha Stewart and she used netting like in a bride's veil. That is what I do now. I just lay the leaves out flat and then roll them up in a tube and tie the ends and then hang in a dark dry area of the basement. Works great for me. I do that with my basil, oregano, thyme etc.

Mariann, I will have to put in an order for the genovese basil then! I love my pesto!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Becki, I don't use a dehydrator either, I use cloth screening (similiar to the netting Tracy uses) and do the same, lay flat, roll up and hang in the bard, its always dark and dry in there. Cole and Alan used to call it my witches barn because I would have herbs hanging from the lower rafters and I use the glass (older model type with the glass stoppers) spice jars and there is always a umm mortar and pestle (was told to use plain english on that one lol wink wink) out there. I do my grinding on a pc of plywood covering the pooltable. (makeshift workstation for herbs and plants lol)

I LOVE basils of all kinds, I even freeze some and give it to fox's uncle who is a chef, he uses alot of that and chives and :) loves me lol for the fresh basil!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Laughing at Miss Pixie! LOL! Mortar and pestle! ROFL! She's talking about me girls! That is because I don't know SPANISH and had no idea what she were talking about! Tell them all the name of it now, Miss Trina. Can't remember what you called it.

Trina was telling me about this thing that she used and I had no idea what it was, she said yes you do. I said No, NOOOO CLUE! Turns out it is the spanish term for Mortar and pestle. LOL!

Know what I use to grind my dried herbs in? An electric coffee grinder! They have them for 4 bucks at Marc's discount store. Stick a bunch of dried leaves in, put the lid on and press the button for a few seconds. Zip! Ground herbs! Freezing them works great too for having fresh herbs in the winter around here. I lay mine flat on a damp paper towel and then roll them up and place them in a ziplock bag, then pop them into the freezer. They can last 3-6 months if they are air tight.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

LMAO Ducky, I was tryin to be discrete about it lmao!!! Molcajete is what I call it lol. BY the way I also use a cast iron coffee grinder to grind dried herbs and thinbgs in lol but its not electric but it does work great lol. Some things ya just need a molcajete though, I use it for hot sause, pasta sauce, all kinds of things. lol

LMAO ma sweet Ducky!!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Had to out myself there Miss Trina! I was chuckling too much and had to share. LOL! We are all sick here except for Hubby and Jack. We have some awful virus with really high temps. The little ones have been pushing the red line on the thermometer for the last day and a half. We have had readings of 104.1, 104.2, and topped out at 104.6, Thankfully we have been able to get those temps down and manageable but have been piggy backing motrin and tylenol, doing cold baths, popsicles, Jello, icepacks etc. You name it and we've done it! I think they are all under control now. Emma's temp seems to be breaking, Dan is on the way down, Pat is the only one that seems to be trying to climb back up again. Crossing my fingers that this is close to the end. I have it too and am exhausted. We were supposed to have Emma's birthday party today but had to cancel. We are just too contagious.

I need to go do my rounds and feel heads to see if anyone started cooking again. Night all! Stay healthy!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, Tracy, you poor thing!! And your poor little kiddos! That is so yucky! Poor Emma!! Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, honey! Sending you BIG hugs (but glad I can do so across the 'puter, so I don't have to get any germs! : ) I hope it is nearly done, and you all feel SO MUCH better VERY soon!!!!

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becki-Please say happy birthday to Elizabeth for me.

Tracy & Pixie-Very clever herb drying techniques. I don't have a basement nor any place to dry herbs. So I'll have to stick with the dehydrator. I do freeze my herbs in small canning jars after they are dried.

I actually use bridal veil netting when I self-pollinate flowers. I sew up the sides and slip it over the flower and tie the bottom with stretchy plant ties. When the flower opens I take off the netting and use a soft paint brush to pollinate. I do that several days in a row. When the flower dies and is dried I snip it off and it's already in a little bag.

Tracy-Hope the little ones are getting better. I bet Emma is disappointed about her birthday. How old is she? My mom planned a party on my 8th birthday and the night before I came down with the mumps. So glad children are inoculated against that these days.

We had a nice day yesterday. My DH said the best present he received was the Giant's winning. We did eat at the Dining Room table at half time. I don't like sitting in the Living Room with a plate of food on my lap.

Hope everyone has a great day. No snow today just rain again.
    {{gwi:1318297}}

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

OHHH Tracy I sm sorry ya'll are ill and hope that ya get better fast. Im sorry bout Emma's party. Give hugs and loves and you get better!

Mariann I have wondered how to self polinate so thanks for sharing that.

Becki I hope ya'lls day is great!!

Smiles everyone

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Thank you for all the well wishes everyone! We are still feeling yucky today but at least the temps are a little lower.

Mariann, Emma turned 3 on Thursday. She doesn't know that she had a birthday yet. I can sympathize on your birthday with the mumps, that is terrible. I was the same age as you and came down with the Chicken Pox. Totally miserable for my birthday straight through Christmas! Now they have shots for that too! Wonders never cease.

I have a question about the self pollinating that you mentioned. Do you cover the bloom as it begins to open to ensure that insects don't pollinate before yo do?

Thanks for all the long distance hugs, that would be the only safe kind around here! LOL! I hope you all have a great day!

Hugs,
    Tracy

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Thank you for all the great ideas for drying herbs! If I don't get a dehydrator, I will definitely use the mesh idea! That sounds so awesome! Mine, I hung upside down in bunches with paper lunch bags around them. I cut some holes in the lunch bags for air. I don't know where I read to do that, but it wasn't very nice to look at! I tied the tops of each with a ribbon, and hung them all on a chain - it was very ugly! I had also read that the smaller jar you store your herbs in the better, so I had my sister save all her baby food jars for a while. She brought me GOBS of little jars - way too many for what I had dried, so I was storing them in the basement, but hubby got sick of seeing them, and recycled them all.

And the coffee grinder sounds wonderful!! It sounds like it would work great! I'll have to look into that!

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tracy-I cover the bud with bridal veil netting/tulle. I buy the very fine white soft tulle. Some tulle is very stiff. The holes are very fine and it allows me to see when the flower is ready for pollination. A gnat might be able to get inside but I've never seen any. The weight of the fabric doesn't bend the stems over. I've also used floating row fabric the same way. Just fold it over and sew up the sides to make little bags. As I said in my other post I use the stretchy plant ties to hold it in place. This method works well for even the the most fragile of stems. After I pollinate I cover the flower back up to keep pollinating insects out.

It's been wet and dreary here today. I need some sun to perk me up.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Ooh, Tracy....We've had a rough week here, too. Adora came down with pinkeye (in both eyes!!) last Tuesday, and battled that plus a cold all week. THEN, Saturday night, she started running yet another fever and also started vomiting. YICK! So, naturally, she's passed THAT around to everyone now. I am at work right now with a 102 degree fever, but can't afford to miss. *sigh*
    The kids will be out of school until the last one is fever free for 24 hours. So that will be a few more days, at least, as William just spiked a fever an hour or so ago.
    Oh well, at least I kept everyone from getting the pinkeye! Yay! For small miracles! :O)
    I think what happened, I told them to stay away from her, and not love on her when she had pinkeye...but since she was better on Saturday (so we thought) everyone started making up for a week's worth of loving! LoL

ANYWAY! Some good news! I received some very nice packages of seeds today from Mariann! Aubeni took them as soon as I opened them, she was tickled to death to have her own flowers (she thought they were hers, because they were in their own "baby" envelopes! LoL). But I got her a box of her own to keep the seed packs in, so she can help me plant them this spring.
    Thank you for sharing with us, Mariann! I am so excited to start sowing!!! :O)

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Hey girls! Hope the old, young and in between are feeling better now! So sad to see sick kids, hugs to them all. I've been so afraid Kenzie was going to get sick, but so far so good.

Question to you younger girls, you can email me privately if you want. Vaccinate or not? Seriously, I need opinions, like I said you can just email me, not trying to start a war here:) Julie just has some serious concerns..... Thanks in advance!

Sassy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Sassy-
    I'll take on your question...out in the open, even! LoL
    I'm going to give my honest opinion here, and say that while I know vaccinations have saved many lived & prevented lots of diseases ( and 4 of my 5 kids have had vaccinations )....I will say though, that I have ALWAYS had my reservations about them. I've just known too many people whose children have had serious side affects from them (one is even paralyzed). When I was pregnant with Adora, one of my midwife's children (she was 6 years old) died after complications from her boosters for kindergarten. It was a VERY sudden & scarey thing...certainly nothing I'd ever want my kids to go through, and definitely NOTHING they ever EVER tell you about in the DR's office.

Certainly, those cases are few and far between....BUT, also enough for me to seriously THINK about them first.

That being said....I've always felt it was up to the parents to decide what was best for their children. I make decisions for mine, based on what I feel is best for them. It's hard to say, really. I just think that the best thing to do is gather LOTS of information...both from LIVE people, and from the internet. But make sure the source is reliable, because there are many sites out there just wanting to scare you into doing things the way THEY would.

I do think that, more often than not, they ARE safe. But I do believe the medical DR's need to make the side affects more clear. And parents should know EXACTLY which shots and what doses are being given. Sometimes, the standard amount is simply too much for a baby. One of my children has a weakened immune system, and if he's given too much (i.e.- the "standard" dose), it will do more harm to his system than good.

So...I think it's all a matter of personal choice, and of doing your research and being educated about them. :O) Also, be sure to research the laws in your area...the regulations as far as school admitance goes. I think that all public schools require up to date shots for kindergarten admitance...but it is also VERY easy to get out of it, too. There is a simple form (for Arkansas, anyway) to fill out, stating religious or personal convictions for not getting immunizations, if you choose to not get them.

Hope I didn't step on any toes! :O)

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Thanks sweetie! And thanks "You know Who" for your email. I feel the same way, but it really is scary. And it will be Julie's decision. I've just read horror stories on both sides.

Thank you girls,
    Sassy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

One thing that I wonder about too is this: Most of us adults are immunized with the same things our kids are getting shots for. We basically are given a little of the disease to develop an immunity to it. If we then have kids, isn't it possible that we pass on a bit of that immunity to our children? I wonder if our kids should be tested to see if they have developed a natural immunity to some of these illnesses before they are scheduled for shots.

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sassy-You've raised an issue that is being debated quite a bit these days. The topic of autism in children occurring because of immunizations has raised many questions.

Immunizations have saved hundreds of thousands of children's lives. Smallpox has been eradicated due to world wide vaccinations. Polio also use to be common in the U.S. and infected thousands every year prior to the vaccine. Mothers infected with Rubella can pass it to their unborn fetuses. Children and adults do die or suffer from permanent disabilities. Measles (Rubeola) can lead to encephalitis, pneumonia and miscarriages. Mumps can also lead to serious problems. Parents these days don't see these illnesses. Children in an iron lung are a thing of the past. If every parent decided not to immunize their children how long would it take for an epidemic to start? Then again what if MMR immunizations are causing autism. What then?

Tracy-Immunization from mother to child is called Naturally Acquired Passive Immunity. This type of immunity only lasts between 6-12 months. It is reinforced if the baby is breast fed. Regardless it is still usually short lived. I suppose the only way you can be sure is to have an child who hasn't been inoculated tested for antibodies. I was tested for Rubella antibodies when I was 18 because my mom said I never had it. I did however get German Measles when I was 20 and let me tell you I was very ill. There were no vaccines at that time.

Hope I haven't added more flame to the fire.

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

EEGADS, ya'll have been busy on this thread since I last logged in!, :-) last week for me was miserable sick cold, work, meetings for appointed township auditor and the State Farm Show, needless to say....I slept all day Saturday!
    Now caught up with swappin emails I can join in.
    Becky, did you say T's Flowers ships seeds promptly? I have ordered lissy plants and had a hassle getting them, all leggy, they arrived so late for this zone, not a one flowered in time. That was my experience 3 years ago, haven't tried since.
    Someone asked prior what I enter in fairs, I enter flowers and veggies, decorated wreaths, arrangements, pressed flowers and this year preserves. Been entering fairs since I was in 7th grade. I finally convinced my 8th grader to enter when she saw the premiums for scarecrow, her and her friend won 2nd place big ribbon and 75.00
    Suprised at so many who don't start from seed, I cannot imagine a year without doing so. 24 geraniums were sowed Sunday and are starting to germinate. Need to get the blue fescue seed started and can shake my head at the 4.95 per plant price tag in stores or catalogs. Winter sowing started last night with the hardy perennials and soon I will be getting the heat mat/lights going for maters and pepper plants. Last year I only bought 1 hydrangea, one hibiscus on sale for 3.00 each, a 6 pack of tunias and 6 cabbage plants off my nun friend at the convent.
    One of these years I should see what all I sow from seed versus buying plants would be!

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I went through so much when my Son Paul went to kindergarden. I made the mistake of not letting him go to preschool (and allowing him get exposed to germs). Paul did have all his routine baby shots, school shots. We've had no problems with them. But, when he was exposed to other children he was sick with everything- including Fifth disease something that my Dr. had never seen! The poor kid had pneumonia, pneumonitis (a form of pneumonia), strep throat many times to the point that they said he was a strep throat carrier), pink eye, exposed to tape worms, chicken pox, measles, mumps, etc. All with in one year, our Dr. even did a lukemia test, because he couldn't understand why Paul picked up everything. My Daughter was a newborn when Paul started kindergarden, so that explained why I didn't have him in daycare/preschool. I really didn't need it. When Sarah turned three, I enrolled her in everything, just to expose her to germs! If we didn't immunize our children, I can't even imagine what would of happened to Paul! Paul grew out of this catch everything phase, and by first grade had perfect attendance! But, for that first year, we had such a rough time! Sarah was never sick much- probably because Paul exposed her to everything! She had chicken pox, measles, mumps, strep by the time she was a year old!

Deb

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Wow, I'm shocked that your doctor had never seen fifth disease! My understanding is that is a fairly common childhood disease. One of my kids had it - I think William. Between my 4 kids, I think mine have had all you listed, except measels, mumps and tape worms, oh, not pneumonitis either. We've had hand, foot and mouth disease, though! But, not all that in one year - that would be SO SCARY!!! I'm glad Paul is okay now! Oh, not a disease, but we had the dreaded lice one year too! When Elizabeth was in kindergarden - I don't know where she would have gotten it but at school, but I was the first one to call the school and let them know it was going around, so the principal made me feel like we brought it into school - I was not too happy! Then, Lily and I got it, and as she was a baby, and we were constantly cuddling, we had a really hard time shaking it, as it would just keep going from one of us to the other. That was a HORRIBLE month or so! Finally we got an Rx from the doctor for it, as the over the counter shampoos just weren't taking care of it, and you should only use them so many times anyway. If I never have to look at a nit comb again, I will be happy!! Fortunatly, we kept the boys from getting it! Anyway, totally getting off the subject! Sorry!

Even though I have my reservations about immunizations, I think they do good for a far greater amount of people than they do harm to. All my kids have had all their immunizations. It's too scary to me not to have them! The only one I am very much questioning is the one for girls that immunizes them against HPV. I'd be curious to hear what the rest of you think of that. I'm very much on the fence about that one!

BTW - got my order from Pinetree Garden Seeds today! Thanks so much for introducing me to them, Mariann! Way cool!

I got two catalogues from Parks today! My understanding is that their seeds are okay, but don't order their plants? Or am I wrong about that? What about bulbs? There sure are some beautiful plants and bulbs in there! As each catalogue comes in, the drooling starts again! And my wish lists get longer and longer!! Anytime in the future one of my relatives asks me what I want for a gift (not likely, but I can always hope!), it's going to be a gift certificate to one of the MANY seed and plant suppliers!!! Oh, to have free money to spend at these places!!!!

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I didn't have such a great experience with Park seed. I ordered 3 packages of mixed violet seed and NONE of them came up. So disappointing! I also ordered a clematis that was so tiny (a seedling) it died with in a week after planting!

The Dr. had to look up Paul's Fifth disease in books, he claimed it was a disease from a long time ago? Luckily, Paul didn't have tapeworms! He was only exposed to them while in the hospital for pneumonitis. The child in the bed next to him had the worm and was passing in the toliet Paul was using. Once I found out what he had, we asked for a private room! Tape worm produces a high fever (which Paul had at the time with the pneumonitis), so that's why the hospital paired up the two kids. Both high fevers, both dehydrated.

Deb

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advise. I should have put in my post that I'm ole school so I had to think vaccines were best. It is troubling to me, all the associated problems out there, but I too, have to agree that overall, it just makes sense to do it. And I have said this to Julie, which, I believe still feels the same. My step-daughter won't consider it for her son, but like Julie, ultimately, its her choice, not mine. I know she'll do the right thing for McKenzie.

Thanks girls, I appreciate you help.

Sassy

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

This recipe looks soooo good, I'm planning on making it over the weekend when the temps dip below 0*

CHUNKY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP~ Wolfgang Puck
    Serves 6 to 8
    CHUNKY CHICKEN SOUP:
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 medium leeks, trimmed, thoroughly rinsed, and chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    8 cups good-quality canned chicken broth
    2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
    1 pound small white button mushrooms, quartered
    1 (10-ounce) bag frozen peas with pearl onions
    2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1 cup heavy cream
    POT PIE DUMPLINGS:
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
    1 large egg
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leafed (Italian) parsley, plus extra for
    garnishing
    First, prepare the soup. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium
    heat. Add the leeks, onion, celery, and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle and stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, taking care not to let
    the flour brown.
    Remove the pot from the heat and, stirring constantly, slowly pour in 6 cups of the broth. Add the carrots, mushrooms, peas and onions, chicken, 1
    teaspoon of salt, the tarragon, and the white pepper. Return the pot to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the chicken is
    done and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 cups of broth in a separate shallow saucepan and add 1 cup of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
    For the dumplings, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. With a pastry blender or the tines of a table fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. In a small
    bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and parsley, then stir them into the flour mixture until a dough forms.
    Reduce the heat under the boiling broth to maintain a simmer. Using a greased teaspoon, gently scoop up rounded teaspoons of the dough and carefully drop them into the broth. Cook until the dumplings are well risen
    and cooked through and float on the surface, about 7 minutes. Keep them warm in a small amount of the broth until ready to serve, reserving the remaining
    cooking liquid.
    Before serving, stir the cream into the soup. Adjust the soup's thickness, if necessary, by stirring in some of the broth in which the dumplings cooked. Taste the soup and add more salt to taste, if necessary. Add the cooked dumplings, raise the heat under the soup pot to medium, and heat
    through until the soup is almost but not quite boiling.
    Serve the soup immediately, ladling it into large warmed bowls and arranging the dumplings on top. Garnish each bowl with extra parsley.

Let me know if anyone tries it before then!

Deb

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I received a wonderful assortment of seeds today from Becky (ramazz). She sent me the following:
    Salvia nubicola
    Salvia forskaohlei
    Balsam Impatiens
    Campanula glomerata
    Garlic Chives
    Angelica gigas
    Virginia Knotweed Painter's Palette

Thank you so much Becky. I don't have any of these.

Deb-the recipe looks yummy. I'd love to hear how it turns out.
    Mariann

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Deb, I agree with Mariann that sounds yummy girl. I doubt I'll have a chance before you make it so please let us know how it turns out.

I'll be getting my seeds out shortly. Going through them now.

Have a good night everybody.

• mellen
    16 years ago

Does anyone have a name or address for hmle2217? She is the person I am supposed to send seeds to this month. I just e-mailed her using the e-mail address from GW. I'm hoping I get a response from that.
    Thanks folks,
    Mary Ellen

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Deb, that sounds great! I adapted a chicken pot pie recipe to make with biscuit dough dropped on top and then I bake it in the oven so we end up with fluffy biscuits baked right in to the pot pie filling. So good on a freezing cold day! Very similar to wolfgang's recipe but I just do peas, carrots and onion.

I make a rue with butter, onion and flour and a bit of pepper, stir in 3 cups of milk and chicken stock each, add salt to taste and cook on high till thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Give it another taste test to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Then I pour it over the cooked cubed chicken and vegies in a 13 x 9 baking dish. Then I drop the biscuit dough by the heaping tablespoon on top and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.

The biscuits are nice and fluffy on the inside, crisp on the tops and still have that dumpling quality on the bottoms. Yum!

Sorry Mel, I don't have her addy.

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

Mellen,

I responded to your email! Thanks.

Huong

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• mellen
    16 years ago

Thanks, Huong, I got your e-mail and address. Been nice conversing with you! Mary Ellen

• faintheart
    16 years ago

Jeanne,

Thank you SO much for my surprises!!! They couldn't have come at a better time as it is a bit stressful at work with budget time and I need a diversion. :)

I received Geum 'Lady Stratheden', Stokes Aster, Balloon Flowers, Marigold 'Jaquar', Vitex Chaste tree, and Gladiolus seeds. All are new varieties to me and I am excited to see them grow!!! I absolutely love glads! I've never seen glad seeds and think those will go in a planter so I can bring them in to overwinter and give the corms room to grow. This will be soooo fun!!!

Thank you, Jeanne!!!

It's miserably cold here today with windchills of -20*. Though it's my day off, I still have budget work to finish and will bring it in to the auditor before day's end.

Trina, your surprises will go out in today's mail. I plan on bringing it to town when I get make the trip to the office later in the day. You should get it on Tuesday I think with Monday being the MLK holiday.

Have a great day all and stay warm!!!

hugsssssss Dee

• beckilove
    16 years ago

I received my package from Deb today! Thank you so much Deb!!! She sent:

Sunflower "Jade"
    Columbine "Rose Barlow"
    Sweet Peas "America"
    Scabiosa "Ebony & Ivory"
    Sunflower "Strawberry Blonde"
    Sweet Peas "Captain of the Blues"
    Columbine "Tower White"

Thank you SO MUCH Deb!! I see I can take several things off my wishlist! : ) I can't wait to plant them! Thank you, thank you!!!

Becki