Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barleychown

NEW: New: Winter blues swap sign up

barleychown
15 years ago

Okay everyone! You have been saving seeds, right? Are you ready to swap?

Here are the details.

Everyone who wishes to be involved will send the seeds they want to include in the swap to me. When the deadline rolls around, I will then swap the seeds around, and mail your new seeds back to you.

All types of seeds are welcome; flowers, veggies, trees, shrubs, vines, ect.

Please include at leat 25 seeds in each pack, unless they are small seeds, then the general "rule" is 1/8 tsp. of seeds in each packet. If it's a rare or hard to come by seed, less than 25 is okay, but please be sure to note that on the packet.

Please label each packet with the name of the seeds, and as much info as you can about growing requirements like sun or shade, plant height, ect.

Also put your screen name on each packet, so if there are questions or problems with your seed, we can take care of them.

You may send in as many packets as you would like, but please no more than 10 packets of the same type of seeds. You will get back roughly the same number you sent in.

Mail your seeds to me in a padded (bubble) envelope. Include postage to return the envelope to you.

You may also include a brief (5-10 item) wish list of seeds...I will do my best to get you a few off the list.

The deadline for seeds to reach me will be January 31, 2009. My plan is to get them out right after that, so we all get a nice suprise in our mailboxes around valentine's day.

If you would like to be included, please sign up in this thread and I will email you my address.

Comments (139)

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

I just dropped off the seeds at the po, they should be there soon.
    lillyjane ")

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

My seeds are slowly getting bagged, for this swap for that swap, and this one, and that one... who's idea was it to join so many swaps honestly! My husband calls it my new entreprise! Chris

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Cindy, please, forward me that info from Trudi, if you don't mind. I think we have similar concerns over wintersowing in warm zones. I could use the info she sent you, I'm sure....

Chris, I hear ya! I've overdone it so much that it's ALMOST, but not quite, to the point of not being fun... I didn't want that to happen! LOL I just put too many into a very small range of time...

Blessings,
    Angela

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I'm taking the weekend to put together my swaps..yes, we're all hopelessly addicted...but as least we have some beauty to show for it..."hiding the piles of seeds envies, bubble envelopes, tape, markers and boxes"..."L"

15 years ago

ROFL!!! Cute, Linda! I love it!

Cindy, thanks so much for sending that along to me... I may have to limit my wintersowing this year simply as a test... I have a friend close that wintersowed some fruit trees, and one of the seeds already sprouted!

Blessings,
    Angela

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Your welcome Angela.
    I sure hope it helped a little. Trudi is just so sweet. : )
    Those of us doing winter sowing for the first year I hope we get a ton of really healthy babies to transfer into our gardens. I have 7 containers started and they are all different kinds of Pansy and Viola.
    I realized when I finished planting them up that I have about 100 other types of seed I want to plant! Oh my... Guess I'm going to have to mix a few types in some containers or I won't have room for all those babies!
    Another thing that came to mind is all the seeds that will start to come in through the R.Robins I'm in. My eyes are definitely bigger than the areas I have to plant! I can't wait to see the abundance of different sizes and shapes and all the gorgeous color! We have alot of Hummingbirds up here and are starting to see Honeybees again so I hope my garden draws them and gives them a great place to feed and pollinate, woo hoo.
    By this Fall if plants grow hearty, I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in seeds! But all the better for newbies, I'll probably be doing alot of SASBE's then. That's how I started my seed collection. I'll also have tons more to trade with also. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.
    I agree with Linda, I am a seed addict... but is that bad? : )

Take care,
    Cindy

15 years ago

I hate to say I'm gonna do something, then not do it... but, I have to back out of this one graciously. I am sorry for the inconvenience. I was very new with these round robins and didn't know how to "pick and choose" which work best for me and my garden as well as what I have that others in the swap want. Again, I am so sorry for the trouble... Please, forgive me....

Blessings,
    Angela

• conniesc
    15 years ago

bumping up.. went to page 2 :)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

my bubble envie is on it's way..one swap down...LOL

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Mine are going out monday..... :) Barb

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

They are on their way...Dcn is 0308 2040 0001 6247 9134 Thank you for hosting.....Barb

• barleychown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the current list of envelopes recieved:

alwaysagarden
    mark case
    packrats_r_us
    conniesc
    lefse
    debby-1
    kristlindgren
    acalgirl
    appaloosa909
    dancinginthegarden
    digindirt49
    pufftrinket
    poisondartfrog
    Tammy
    kratz7
    ariel
    penny
    lindaruzicka
    tennessee kat
    lillyjane
    colcol
    digindirt49-postage

It's looking like a great swap! :)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Seeds are on their way :)

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

bump!

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Greetings barleychown(and everyone)!!
    I sent you a large bubble envelope with the delivery conformation number of 0308 2040 0000 3384 2418.
    One thing I did wrong was not checking my purse before leaving the house to make sure I have address labels!! So I threw in my little sharpie, you should be able to peel off your name and address and write mine, I'm so sorry I goofed! There's always gotta be one in the crowd!!LOL!!
    -B

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Lol Brandy I sent my RR To the wrong addy had to run to the po to change it...Thank goodness I made it..hahhaha

Dont feel bad you arent the only one....I wonder who has sent their seeds in and who we are waiting for...I am so excited....Barb

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

sorry I didn't realize that the 30th deadline was for the seeds to get to the hostess not to post! I posted it this morning, to arrive there Saturday. Chris

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Well Barb, if you're in the corner with me then I'm in good company!!LOL!!
    -B

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Glad I'm not the only one to goof on sending pkgs. It doesn't matter how many times I check...dbl check and triple check...I end up messing up :o/

Did my best this time...just hope my packaged arrives From WA to OR in 3-4 days?? Wow!

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Greetings everyone!
    Well I just checked the tracking number and it SAYS that my envelope made it to Barleychown today! Whew! Talk about cutting it close!
    So Barleychown, how many did you get today and how many still haven't made it in?
    -B

• barleychown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again everyone!

Here is the list of packages recieved:

alwaysagarden
    mark case
    packrats_r_us
    conniesc
    lefse
    debby-1
    kristlindgren
    acalgirl
    appaloosa909
    dancinginthegarden
    digindirt49
    pufftrinket
    poisondartfrog
    Tammy
    kratz7
    ariel
    penny
    lindaruzicka
    tennessee kat
    lillyjane
    colcol
    digindirt49-postage
    dirtdiggin
    rosepedal
    clay_lady
    grovespirit
    brandymulvaine

I took time today to get these ready to start swapping. :o)

I will hold off a few days waiting for the ones still in the mail, and then get to swapping.

Have a great Sunday!

• conniesc
    15 years ago

bump

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

It will be great to get another envelope of surprises. I think I will go through withdrawals when all of the seed swaps wrap up!

• barleychown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning swappers!

I'm about half way through swapping the seeds...need to work on the huge pile of the more common seeds, then pack them up and get them out...hopefully by the weekend. :o)

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated, and for all your hard work!

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Wow I can't imagine all the work that must go into one of these swaps! So do you take all these bubble envelopes into the post office and if so how many weird looks do you get?-B

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I don't think I could handle a swap of this size...I honestly don't know how you do it!..."round of applause"

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I am really looking forward to this one!
    Thanks for all of your hard work, Sarah.
    Alana

• barleychown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning!

Brandy, no, I don't take them all to the post office at once. I've done that before, and they get a worried look on their faces. :o)

So, instead I send them out as I get them packed up and taped shut. 5 went out yesterday, and 6 this morning. Keep your eyes open!

I have a bit of extra time today, so I should be able to get the rest out tomorrow.

I hope everyone enjoys!

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Oh Sarah Yehhh!

So glad you have started to mail out packages! I'll be checking my lock box everyday for that package I've been so excited to receive! Thanks for letting us know your mailing Sarah. I sure hope you've gotten alot of wonderful seeds yourself : )Thank you so much for all your time and hard work dear.

Cindy : )

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Yea did someone say seeds. Yahoo Yippee! Thanks Sarah for all your hard work. Hi Cindy :) I need to email you to say Hi. My sister is here I have been crazy busy. I will get a email out to ya...Thanks once again Sarah...Barb

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I received my seeds today.."rubbing hands together"..WOW what an assortment..I'm so pleased! Great job, Sarah!

• debby_1
    15 years ago

Got my package today and was really pleased. All kinds of things that I haven't tried. Thank you Sarah for all of the time and effort.
    Debby

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

I'm sorry I couldn't post yesterday when my amazing package arrived. But now that my PC is back up and running after a complete re-format I'm able to get back on line and post YAYY!!!!

Thank you SO Much for so many wonderful goodies. What a GREAT swap!!

• clc70
    15 years ago

Got my seeds today. Thanks Sara for hosting, and thanks to everyone for your generosity. This is just what I needed for those "winter blues".

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Hi Sarah,
    Thank you so much for the wonderful selection of seeds! You did a great job. More to winter sow!!
    Thank you to all the other gardeners in this swap as well for the great variety of seeds sent in!

Hi Barb...waving at you. Hope you and your sister are having fun!

Cindy : )

• barleychown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad everyone is happy with their seeds. :o)

I sealed up the last package today, and will get it sent off in the morning.

A huge thank you to all who participated! I hope to see each and every one of you (and your friends!) in next year's swap!

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

I can't wait to get my package!!!Chris

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I cant wait for mine too :) Thanks Sarah...Hi Cindy How the heck are ya? It snowed just a little here last night. It looks pretty...Happy valentines day everyone...Barb

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

you guys just wait till you see what you get! I was like a little kid at Christmas!.."L"

• appaloosa909
    15 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday. Thanks so much Sarah, great job!!

Andrea

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

I got my seeds Friday :) Thanks so much ! A very good assortment. I was especially glad to get the ornamental grasses & petunias, oh & the pink coneflowers ") Thanks for all your time & effort in getting this swap together.
    jan aka lillyjane ")

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

Thank's so much to everyone for the great trades, and especially to Sarah, for all your hard work.
    This is my first year winter sowing and today when I checked my containers...Guess What? I have babies coming up!!!
    I recieved my seeds yesterday and most of my new seeds will be potted up tomarrow. Thanks again to everyone. Bev

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Thank you everybody! I received my wonderful seed selection today. Thanks Sarah for all the hard work you did for us...Looking forward to next year... :) Barb

• tennesseekathy
    15 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday. WOW what a assortment. Can't wait to get them planted. Thanks Sarah! I hope you do this again next year. You can count me in! Kathy

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Wow! I got my seeds! It took a little detective work to figure out what swap this package belonged to, but once the fear of having lost my mind were over and i started pulling out my seed packets and recording them, the pleasure stretched out to 181 packets of a great variety of seeds, thanks to all of you, my new GGF(great and generous friends). you guys are de bom! The assortment is awsome considering that there was no want list matchups at all. Cathy, awsome job sorting our packages, I only got 2 of my own seeds, and the rest was just pure pleasure to receive and record! Thank you. Chris

• kristlindgren
    15 years ago

I got my seeds today, and thank you to all you sent in and a very big thank you to our host for doing this!

Kris

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Lurking Lurking... Boy am I jealous. I missed this signup date and have been checking it out. I wish I would have made it to signup.

Dirt - I am sooo jealous now... I don't have any babys yet. my first time wintersowing and am worries I didn't do something right. It looks like you are a zone colder than me and I don't have a seed popping up at all. :-(

Tammy

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

My seeds came today. I just had a chance to open up the envelope and there were some real treasures inside!
    Thanks to all!
    Alana

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

I got my seeds yesterday and supper was late 'cause I was playing with them!
    -B