Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suegardens2

new: new obf for the birds january 2011 swap

suegardens2
13 years ago

Hi everyone. The holidays have been moving along so quickly its hard to believe the new year is almost here. I hope your holidays have been good and that all is well with you and your loved ones. This is my first time hosting the OBF swap so needless to say, I am excited! I invite all of you to to participate in our first swap of 2011.

I chose the theme, "For The Birds" because they are so dear to my heart. It's so easy to forget about their needs at this time of year during the cold and dreary winter when food is most in demand. I hope you will all join me in this exchage and provide sustinance for our little feathered friends while we all wait for spring.

What you will send is a bird feeder (make it one you would like to receive please) seeds for plants that provide food for the birds during the winter, an item of your choosing with a bird theme (i.e. a 2011 bird calendar)and a recipe for your favorite homemade bird food concoction.

Signs up will be until Sunday, January 2nd. This will give everyone plenty of time to find a bird feeder and mail it by January 17th.

Please post here to sign up. I will assign partners by the evening on Monday, January 3rd. Then everyone will contact their partners for their mailing information. Once you have mailed your package, please send me an email with the DC number. Finally, please post here once you receive your package.

Check back periodically after partners are assigned. I will be posting some fun games and awarding prizes to the winners!

If you have any questions, or if I left out anything, please let me know.

Sue N.

Comments (150)

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful box from Shirley! Did put a spot of cheer in my otherwise dreadful week!!
    I rec'd:
    nice birdfeeder
    adorable wooden bluebird house
    bird windchime
    2 gorgeous redbird figurines
    burlap bag of fragrant flower seeds
    cuttings of yellow Christmas cactus
    crocheted hat-- which I love and will enjoy while outside in this weather!!
    set of notecards-pink with rose emblem and states "A note from Melinda"-very cool
    daylily seeds and sunflower seeds!
    I loved the box!! Thanks so much!
    I also want to thank everyone for the prayers and concern!
    Jennifer, yours will go out in the morning. I am putting it in the box in a little while. Thanks, Melinda

• jshipway
    13 years ago

Melinda that is fine. It has been a crazy day here my kids did not have school today or yesterday and they are driving me crazy we have about 23 inches of new snow.

Jennifer

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Melinda - Glad you were pleased with the box. Happy to see your spirits lifted.

Vina- I will get you that info. The moose measures 16" across and 19" long.

April - School is still out here as well. On my way to work I went to brake at a stop sign and went sliding right out into the highway. Lucky for me no cars were coming. It's so cold it just won't melt.

I received a most wonderful box from Jennifer.

She sent:
    nice birdfeeder
    bird food recipe (September Harvest) and (Berries, Berries, Berries)can't wait to make these

seeds: marigold, texas redbud, joe pye, heart of gold cantaloupe, brown eyed susans, golden star mum, echinacea milkshake, cone flower, echinacea purpurea,

these trees:
    2-white flowering dogwoods
    2-flowering crabapples
    2-washington hawthorns
    2-eastern redbuds
    2-golden raintrees

I love everything Jennifer..thank you so much. I have planted the Arbor Day Foundation trees before and loved them.

Vina- I definetely want to try the straw in the pond. Sounds like a wonderful idea.

I hope to wintersow some seeds this week-end.

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Shirley, those feeders are great. I'm so jealous of people who can use them! Here they would just be squirrel feeders, and all the wood would be chewed, as well.

Remy, I almost have your box together. Will try not to be late!

Jennifer, 23 INCHES of NEW snow?? Where do you live?? I thought NJ was bad!

Vina, your straw in the pond thing sounds so cool! Makes me want a real pond.

Gah! My son is home and playing some of that rap on his computer so loud I can't hear myself think! Must go in the basement and tend my "indoor" garden to escape!

Have a good day, all!

Dottie

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

We are no competition for your 24 inches, Jennifer, but our snow and ice sure are sticking around. I am lucky because I have not had to go anywhere special so I have not gone off our property other than to the mailbox. However, my lunchtime walk with the dog caused both of us to slip on ice (not fall luckily.) It is very unusual how long this snow is lasting. That is not usually the case here in South Carolina.

Here is a picture of poor St. Francis out in the garden. He has a full body, you just can't see it!

In just a little while I am going to give it a try and go to the new grocery store near us that was supposed to have opened on the 12th. I really need to see something beyond my driveway!

Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Dottie - We have lots of squirrels here but my Husky (Hanna) lets nothing in the yard. She is constantly keeping watch. She keeps the deer out too.

Jennifer - I will have to quit complaining about snow after hearing about all yours.

My great niece (Emily) is spending the week-end with me and I love it. She does have to go to school for 2 hours tomorrow to make up for all those snow days. I have a fun filled day planned when she gets out. Her Mom went on a Christian retreat with the youth at their Church. She has 4 children so four of us took one to keep so she could go.

Shirley

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone -

I have been MIA because I am ill. I went to the doctor yesterday after trying to get better on my own for over a week. I thought I had a cold that turned into a sinus infection. Turns out that I have a bad sinus infection and bronchitis and have to be careful that it doesn't turn into pneumonia, since I have a history of that kind of thing. NOw I am on strong antibiotics, decongestants, and cough syrup that knocks me out.

I hope you are all doing well and staying warm. I see everyone is having lots of snow and ice because of the storms. It hasn't been too bad here.

Sue, Shirley and Treasa - I sent your packages out on Thursday and emailed your DC #'s. Shirley - I love the bird feeders.

I am on bedrest for the weekend, so I will check back in a little later. I am feeling really awful right now. Take care.

Sue N.

• jshipway
    13 years ago

Hello,

Yes here in Maryland we get a lot of snow last year we got 25 feet total of snow for the winter. last Jan we got 5 feet of snow at one time. I would open the outside door and all you could see was snow. we had lost power for over a week last year with the snow. So far we have not lost any power and it has not snowed like last year. Last year nobody was able to get out the only way to get out was on snow mobiles. they had people that would bring food in for those that did not have snow mobiles. So far this year we are very lucky. We will see what nature as store for us as time goes on.

Jennifer

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Sue, so sorry you are down with the uglies. Hope you'll be on the mend and back with us soon.

Jennifer, I never realized that Md. had so much snow! Being south of NJ, I always think everyone in that direction is progressively more tropical.

Remy, I sent your box today. Have the DC # somewhere and will post it later.

Shirley, my dog chases squirrels about once a day. They don't take her seriously any more. She runs out barking and growling, then gives up and just watches them from inside the house, while they hang on the bird feeders. I used to be able to get her to chase them on command by yelling "SQUIRREL!" and she'd run out the doggie door. Now she's pretty deaf and much less interested. She's learned that she will never catch one. These are amazingly clever. They unscrew all the bolts on the feeders if they can't chew through them! DH is perplexed! He can't believe he, an engineer, can't concoct something they can't defeat!

I've been sorting clippings and filing gardening info and recipes all day. I swear, I never want to read another magazine! And maybe I won't; our local Borders went out of business last week. They sold all their fixtures and furniture, too. We bought some of their library ladders and bookcases and plan to install them over the catwalks at the highest level of the vaulted ceiling. DH has a plan. The rest of us are all a little apprehensive. We are talking 16' in the air with power tools. Eeek.

Must get back to cleaning up the mess I made clearing off my desk. Have a good weekend, all.

Dottie

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

sue, i hope you get better soon! i have the same history, usually begins with allergies. oddly enough, though, i haven't had one case of pneumonia since i moved to the country! and the cabin is a mold factory. go figure.

jennifer, 25 FEET? oh my stars i would be moving south. i like just enough snow that i can build a snowman and go sledding, but more than that just sounds like torture.

wintersowed 9 containers last night, all i had. went to the recycling bins today and totally scored LOL. will be making more up tonight, and labeling some for seeds i should be getting this week. the gardening bug really bit me early and deep this year-- usually i'm content to have a few things sprouting in the bathroom but this year i've gone hog wild. ordered more daylilies than i know what to do with too-- no clue were i am going to put them but that's just a reason to prepare another bed, right? i blame the seed companies-- they keep sending me catalogs! no self control here, either :) anyone else wintersowing? this is my first year and i am a little nervous :(

• mellen
    13 years ago

Sue, Hope you can beat your icky stuff. Have never had an allergy in my life, but I have a sister who struggles with asthma, etc. She can get pretty sick.

Our snow season is MUCH better/less than last year, so far. Missed at least 9 days of school last year so school went into the first couple weeks of June. I believe only 1 day has been missed so far, but I don't really keep track since I RETIRED. Sorry about that. I am loving retirement.

Vina, I have everything ready for you except finding a box. :( Since I took about a year off from here, I got rid of all boxes, and our local post office is so small that they don't keep them on hand. So as soon as I can get to a larger PO, I will get your goodies in the mail. Should be early part of the week.

Fed the birds today. They have really been hitting the feeders hard. Anyone else having the same thing?

• jshipway
    13 years ago

Yes I am ready to move lol. But then the summer it is nice here. It is not hot at all which is very nice.

Jennifer

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone -

I am feeling a little better today. I am trying to regain my strength to go back to work tomorrow. I was so happy to see that wonderful packages are being sent and received by all of our gardening friends.

My package from Vina (and daughter, Taylor) came over the weekend, and I wanted to post how lovely everything is. It was so wonderul to receive such a well put together package, each item nicely wrapped and decorated with ribbons, stickers and notes!

Here's what I received:

A nice sturdy suet cake bird feeder
    Two different suet cakes - one berry and one
    woodpecker blend
    A stuffed animal bluebird that chirps - sounds like a
    lovely spring day - I love it!
    A yellow glass baby bird picked out by Taylor, it's adorable and I will cherish it!
    A crocheted butterfly magnet, handmade - Did you make this
    Vina? It is adorable and on my refrigerator already
    A yummy recipe for "Birdtastic Soft Suet Medley" - I can't wait to make this for the birds
    A lovely silk bag full of flower seeds - I love all of these, especially excited about the clematis!

Vina - Please tell Taylor she did a great job helping you get the box ready, and that I really love it!

It's a balmy 11 degrees this morning, so I guess I'll stay inside so as not to aggravate my condition. I plan on going back to work tomorrow so I will putter around the house today.

I hope everyone is staying warm and that the snow and ice are subsiding especially for our friends in the south.

Take care all.

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Happy Monday!

Sue, so glad my box made it to you. Taylor read your post and is beaming right now. Thanks so much!! We got your birdy and the cakes at Bass Pro Shops. The song bird was in a big bin of birds, we didn't know if it may be a dog toy or not...we thought it was cute either way. Hope you are feeling better soon. Feeling yucky when its that cold out only makes you feel worse :(

Still haven't started any wintersowing...I think I'm actually starting to have a withdrawal, lol! Absolutely have to do something THIS weekend!

Hope everyone is having a great night.
    vina

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Sue N - Sorry to hear you have been sick...glad you are on the mends.

Mellen-I am having the same problem as you...the feeders are being worked over by the birds.

Need to clean up the kitchen.....It's good to eat but what a mess.

Shirley

• mellen
    13 years ago

Well, was housebound again today due to snow/ice. Was supposed to have book club tonight-postponed from last Monday due to weather-but it is postponed again. The same lady who has it this month had the same month last year. It was postponed 5 times. She called us all to tell us she was making a new rule-postpone only 3 times in a month then just move to the next month. It's all in good fun. So we are trying 1 more time for next Monday right after school instead of the evening. I've also rescheduled a Dr. appt. 4 times due to weather. HOPEFULLY, the 5th time is the charm? :)

Shirley, I just filled feeders later Saturday and early this morning at least 1 was less than half-full. Whew!
    I have become hooked on watching owls and a hummingbird on a video cam. The hummer has 2 eggs that should "hatch" any day this week. 1 of the owls has 7 eggs and is sitting on them. The other owl is "getting ready" to lay eggs. Quite exciting, really. Plus you can chat with others who are watching. Anyone who wants the website just let me know.

Later, friends.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Morning All!

Sue~so sorry that you have the yuckies..Feel better soon!!

Faye~ your box will fly out in the am. The snow really set me back....Might be the first time I ever mailed out my box late!!!

Mellen~ PLEASE send me the link to the owls!!! My oldest is a total owl NUT!! It all stated with Hedwig from Harry Potter, then the Owls of Ga'Hoole books & movies came along.

Kiddos went back to school finally!!They were ready to go!! My 4 year is missing them though...

later...April

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    My box from Dottie arrived! It was heavier than all get out. I couldn't figure out why. Well, I open it and it is stuffed and I mean stuffed with birdseed. It was in many ziplock bags. Within the seeds was a
    beautiful Hummingbird feeder. The prettiest one I've ever seen!
    There was also a tubular feeder, very nice too.
    A very very pretty travel coffee mug. I love it!
    A pot bird on a stick with wings that move decoration.
    A pretty suet hanger and suet.
    And did I say there was a lot of birdseed? LOL
    I get to the bottom, and there is the note from Dottie. She writes that she had to break up the 10lb. bag of birdseed to make it all fit. I couldn't help but laugh. You didn't need to send it all and I can't believe you got it all in the box! It was so sweet.
    Dottie, I think I'm all set with the birdseed for awhile : )
    THANK YOU!

I've been killer busy with my business. I had a few gigantic orders this weekend along with all the regular ones. So I am way behind with everything including this swap.

Treasa, I did not forget about you. I have a partially done box. I want to get to the bird store before I send. The bird store is out by my SIL's.

Melinda,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's problems. I know it has to be so tough on all of you. I pray they can take care of everything and she will be ok.

Shirley,
    Your friend is quite talented with making the bird feeders.

I hope everyone is staying warm. It actually got above freezing here today! The snow was melting and it rained for a little while. It will probably freeze solid tonight : (

Take care everyone,
    Remy

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Mellen, I sent your box today. I hope you like. dcn# is 0307 0020 0000 2862 3575
    That's very interesting, those owls and hummingbirds. I wouldn't think they'd be nesting now.

The birds have been gobbling up our seeds and suet.

I placed an herb order today. Will be making a few tinctures and a liniment.

Stay safe.
    Treasa

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hey Remy! Glad you liked the box, and it got to you okay. I had a lot of fun making it. I was worried about the glass hummer feeder. I guess you figured out that I had to take the top and bottom off the tube feeder to make it fit. Glad your seed business is prospering.

I spent a couple of days organizing my clippings, mostly recipes, and have decided to make at least one thing every day from the books. Tonight we are having Leapfrog Chicken. I'll let you know :) (It smells awesome!) This afternoon I made chocolate chip and dried cherry cookies. Sounds weird, but they are amazing!

Must go tend to it and DH. Later.
    Dottie

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hey Remy! Glad you liked the box, and it got to you okay. I had a lot of fun making it. I was worried about the glass hummer feeder. I guess you figured out that I had to take the top and bottom off the tube feeder to make it fit. Glad your seed business is prospering.

I spent a couple of days organizing my clippings, mostly recipes, and have decided to make at least one thing every day from the books. Tonight we are having Leapfrog Chicken. I'll let you know :) (It smells awesome!) This afternoon I made chocolate chip and dried cherry cookies. Sounds weird, but they are amazing!

Must go tend to it and DH. Later.
    Dottie

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Goodness what wonderful boxes being sent and received this month. Really it's like Christmas every month when you join a swap. LOL

Remy-Good to hear your business is booming. Everyone loves seeds.

Mellen- I definetely want the website....how exciting.

Rose & Vina-I haven't forgotten the phone number for the bird feeders. Will send it to you.

Shirley

• mellen
    13 years ago

Vina, I am going to be out and about tomorrow so will be getting a box from the PO. Hope to have it out on Thursday. I will post when it goes.

Yes, very nice birdie boxes. Treasa, I will be on the look-out. Thanks.

April, I sent the owl sites to you. Let me know if you get my e-mail.

Shirley, I will send them to you shortly. It is very addictive watching them.

Remy, congrats on your business. I see that you are a DG WatchDog Top 5. As you should be!!! :)

Having breakfast out with a couple of lady friends in the morning then off to the Dr. I haven't been out for 5 days.

• jshipway
    13 years ago

I got my package from Melinda today. And I love everything.

She had included:
    a Cedar Suet Shelter Bird feeder
    Hummingbird Feeder
    Two suet cakes
    Automatic plant watering system
    Bird houses and Bird feeders book
    box of Tea.

Thank you so much.
    Jennifer

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

mellen, if you could send be the owl and hummingbird links, i'd appreciate it.

shirley-- thank you :) i might bend my rule about bird feeders and get one for myself too, if i can figure out where to put it. it's hard to cat-proof a bird. maybe he could make me a cool moose planter instead LOL

sue, glad you're feeling better. the crud is just no fun!

i am merrily winter sowing away-- has anyone else been bitten by the winter sowing bug? i feel like i am taking an incredible leap of faith despite the rave reviews i've read. keeping fingers crossed!

anyone with experience sprouting daylily seeds? i have spent a small fortune on a few choice seeds, and i really don't want to kill them. i''ll be visiting te daylily forum later, but i like to read about as many personal experiences as possible.

eagerly awaiting the V-day swap. have been seeing such cute things around town and i can't wait to start shopping.

hope everyone is having a lovely and warm day!
    rose

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

My birdie box arrived yesterday from Faye.
    What fun!!!!
    Faye sent
    A suet shelter
    A hummingbird windsock
    A dove and flower windchime
    A bright eyed owl
    A recipe for suet cakes and a lot of seeds.
    This winter is the first time I have fed suet and I was delighted to discover that it attracts the cactus wrens.
    Really glad to have another one. This one will go up out front near the new garden.
    also, surprise surprise, there was a hummer at the flower of the wind chime this AM. Don't they know it is still January???? I mixed up some feed and put it out as quick as I could get it cool.
    Thanks a bunch Faye. I am enjoying everything you sent and will winter sow the seeds in a few days.
    Bethb

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Hi all, Shirley gotta have the addy to order those bird feeders. who has February ? I may be able to peek out from under the roses long enough to play, mostly lots of rain this year, looks like a lot of folks are trying square foot gardening, we do a little variation on it. we heard that if you grow your onions with your beans that your beans have a little onion flavor so we are gonna try that this year.hugs to all my bloomin friends
    carol

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Carol - I thought about you when I bought the wolf one. Sending you the info as well. Vina is handling our Feb. swap.

Let me know if you ladies don't get his name and number. You will have to call him and make sure he can ship them to you. Gail Hicks is my cousin who arranged for all the ones I bought from him. Mention her name and he will know.

FEBRUARY - Vina
    MARCH - Treasa
    APRIL - Rose (Made in the Shade)
    MAY - Mellen (Flowers from the April Showers)
    JUNE - Shirley
    JULY - Carol (Christmas in July)
    AUGUST - Sue N (Ice cream social)
    SEPTEMBER - Maryanne (Divide & Conquer swap)
    OCTOBER - April (Boo-tiful Bulbs)
    NOVEMBER - Melinda
    DECEMBER - Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Good morning eveyone!

Shirley, thanks for the email. I'm gonna try to call later today.**cross your fingers**:)

Everyone is getting such nice birdy boxes. Sue, this was a great theme!

I have my February Theme all ready.
    I'm thinking of doing a:

KISS Swap (Keep It Simple and Sweet). A card (it doesnt' have to be Valentines Day, just something nice you would like to share with a fellow OBF'er), some seeds and something you think is "sweet"...could be chocolate, cute notecards, a little something - something.

The idea is to "keep it simple".
    Sound okay?

Talk to you later.
    vina

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone -

I am coming back to the land of the living. Much more energy today. I will post a status update on what's been sent and received so far by tomorrow evening. I hope you are all staying warm. We are expecting another 5 inches of snow by tomorrow morning. I know I shouldn't complain about 5 inches, but I am getting tired of winter at this point. The birds really love the suet. I get four or five birds at a time. I am going to try the recipe Vina sent me over the weekend!

Happy everyone liked the theme this month. I think the February theme sounds great Vina.

Sue N.

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

yes, Vina, sounds great-- exactly what i was looking for! sign me up for february!

i too am sick of winter. i am trying winter sowing this year, so that helps, but i am sooooo tired of being cold. 59 days and counting :)

• mellen
    13 years ago

Vina, I just got back from the PO. I sent your box, finally. The DC# is 0308 2690 0000 7993 0505

I think your idea for next month is fanTAStic! I will also be signing up when you are ready for it.

It is a nasty day out today. Sun is shining nice and bright, but the wind is blowing like crazy. Below zero wind chills already and supposed to get worse tonight. Plus it is blowing the now around again. Went through some drifts going to town plus icy where snow is blowing across the road. If it was nighttime, there were places where it would be a white-out. Was PLANning on meeting girlfriends for supper out tonight as a friend has flown in from AZ for a few days. But, I have decided it's not safe to go. If it was during the day, I probably would. But it would be driving home at night...Nope!

I'm thinking of wintersowing. I have all the suppllies just not the ambition. Yet.

Take care, all.

ME

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

Sue, I received the prize you sent. What a nice surprise!! Thank you so very much!!
    Treasa

• sguanzon
    13 years ago

I received a great box from Sue on Wednesday.

2 Bird recipes
    a Love the Earth calendar (I had forgotten to get one for my desk area so this was timely!)
    a notebook with a quail on the front (I love quails!)
    seeds (golden zucchini, cosmos sensation pinkie, and sunflower grey stripe)
    a set of teapot cards
    a 2011 pocket planner with kitten cover
    a box of sandwich bags (how did you know? we got through these fast!)
    a box of green tea assorted flavors
    and
    a gorgeous bird feeder, very beautiful and unusual, copper colored and three levels with adjustable perches..I've not seen another one like this

Thank you thank you thank you Sue for such a wonderful box!

Sue G.

P.S. Dottie - your box will go out today or tomorrow - so sorry for the delay....I just started a new job and I've been working lots of overtime...no excuses ...but it will be on its way soon!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Morning All!!!

Faye~ your box should arrive today. Just checked tracking # and it says it's out for delivery!!!

Mellen~ thanks for the owl link!!

Weatherman was wrong & boy am I glad!They were calling for an inch of snow last night. We got up to clear blue skies & NOTHING on the ground!!

later....April

• mellen
    13 years ago

April, you are welcome. Have you had a chance to watch? has anyone else been able to get on and watch? Care to share your "names?" You can easily guess who I am. I saw a turtle person on there. Wondered if it was someone from here. It is so addicting and fascinating to watch. They know just what to do.

Snow and windchills were predicted for today. I don't see either of them. Yea!

Later.

• mellen
    13 years ago

Dear, dear Treasa, You went above and beyond in this exchange. I am just overwhelmed...

-Birds and Blooms Extra-I receive the regular B&B from my Dad, but I already like this one better.
    -a very pretty picture from a calendar that is just loaded with birds/birdhouses, and even a kitty. Pretty enough to frame.
    -Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding hobby guide--I shopped in this store for the first time last week. I hope this is what I will be receiving in the mail...I signed up for something when I was there. :)
    -a CD with backyard bird songs/calls. I will be putting this in my laptop to listen to when I finish here. Can't wait!
    -a pamphlet with info. about bird feeding basics. I will keep this handy.
    -Coooool seeds-lady in red salvia-don't even have to look this up as I know it is beautiful
    -sunflower seeds-sunny smile, strawberry blonde, and chocolate
    -a great bird feeder-have already filled it and put it outside. :P
    -a pinecone with a ribbon tied around it--I will slather it with pb and put it out in just a bit. What an easy, neat idea!
    -AND...a BEAUTIFUL bird scene engraved and painted on a piece of wood. It is a picture of a bluebird sitting on a twig with green leaves, white flowers, and blue berries. I absolutely LOVE it, Treasa! Any idea who the crafter is?
    Treasa, thank you from the very bottom of my heart for so many thoughtful gifts. 8)

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

mellen, i've been watching and got a friend to watch too LOL. i witnessed the owl tearing a mouse to shreds and eating its intestines like spaghetti and i saw one of the baby hummers hatch. i still cannot figure out how the mamma is not impaling the baby in her enthusiasm to feed it

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

Mellen, You're very welcome. I am happy you are pleased. The crafter of the woodburning is a dear friend of mine. She's very talented. She has made hundreds of works of local art over the years. Lila's a special lady, her name is on the back. Sadly, she is in poor health. I was asked to sing at her service when the time comes.

WBU is a neat store.

The Lady in Red is from my garden. I keep saving seed year after year.

Happy birdwatching!! : ) Treasa

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi Everybody,
    We got some of that snow that you guys escaped. Just a couple more inches, but at this point, the parking lots are piled 20' high with snow and only half the parking spots are visible, so it's not much change.

Mellon, could I get that website for the hummers, too? It sounds great!

Sue, don't stress about the box. My birds (and squirrels%^&*(*&) are eating well already. DH has been really good about filling up the feeders, even when the squirrels empty them almost daily.

Did some wintersowing today. Got 16 gallon bottles out. They are covered in snow since yesterday.

Have a great weekend, all.

Dottie

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everybody -

I wanted to post an update on packages received:

Jennifer sends to Shirley - received
    Shirley sends to Melinda - received
    Melinda sends to Jennifer - status ???
    April sends to Faye - on the way
    Faye sends to Beth - received
    Beth sends to April - received
    Sue N. sends to Sue G. - received
    Sue G. sends to Dottie - status ???
    Dottie sends to Remy - status ???
    Remy sends to Treasa - status ???
    Treasa sends to Mary Ellen - received
    Mary Ellen sends to Vina - on the way
    Vina sends to Sue N. - received

Please remember to post here when you get your package. I couldn't find any info on packages received from any of the "status ???".

Treasa - I am glad you liked your prize. It was just a little token, but I hope you find it useful.

Sue G. - I am happy to hear you received the package. I hope you enjoy the bird feeder. I tried to find one that was unique, sturdy, and functional.

Melinda - I continue to pray for your sister and your entire family.

Shirley - I hope you received your prize. The DC says it was delivered on the 18th.

Everyone, I have had a great time hosting this swap. It is so gratifying to see the exchange of such wonderful feeders, and the friendship and information exchanged here are wonderful. Good night all.

Sue N.

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi Sue, You can note that I sent to Remy and she received it. Thanks, Dottie

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dottie - Thanks for the info. Here is an updated status list. I don't know the status of packages sent/to be sent by Sue G., Remy and Melinda. Please post an update here. Thanks.

Melinda sends to Jennifer - status ???
    Sue G. sends to Dottie - status ???
    Dottie sends to Remy - received
    Remy sends to Treasa - status ???

Stay warm everyone. The temps here have been in the single digits. The birds are really enjoying the suet cakes. I am so glad that we are all taking care of our little feathered friends. I am going to make some hot chocolate and curl up with my gardening catalogs. I am contemplating winter sowing this year, but I haven't been ambitious enough to start yet.

Sue N.

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Sue N- I did receive my wonderful prize box..thank you so much for all the goodies.

You sent way too much....but I love it all. The Love the Earth calendar is much needed. I see the sunflower grey stripe, cosmos sensation purity and cleome rose queen are seeds from Remys Sample Seed Shop....thanks. Can't wait to see these beauties in bloom. I will always treasure my Nature's Gardens book. The pictures and landscaping ideas are excellent.

I will have to join all you who have not started your winter sowing as of yet. I just cannot get motivated on this. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get this done.

Dottie-I finally spotted a squirrel at one of my feeders today. Hannah is laying down on the job. LOL

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Ohhh, Shirley, you are doomed! Once they find it, they tell their friends and it's downhill from there! And Hannah will require treatment for depression! Insideous little beasts - but they are great fun to watch:)

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

Hi everyone. Hope you are all keeping warm. I have to admit, we haven't even really seen winter at its worse, but already I am sick and tired of snow. I am seriously considering moving somewhere where there is no snow. I can always come back to visit.

All the boxes are great. Love to hear what everyone has sent and the enthusiasm of the recipient. I agree Shirley, it's like Christmas.

Speaking of christmas. My tree is still alive and going strong. I put it outside in the stand, of course the water is frozen solid and under a foot or two of snow. We strung berries and oranges and nuts, pinecones slathered in peanut butter and then rolled in seed, all over the tree. The birds are going insane to say the least.

I haven't wintersowed a thing. i decided this year i'll just go out and sprinkle seeds everywhere. i was getting prepared but then we got hit with the first snow and then the next one and then the cold and then more snow...so i said the heck with it.

It sure is another cold one tonight. I think we are going down to about 9 degrees. guess i'll take that as opposed to minus any degree.

hoping i will be able to join in february's swap. love the simplicity of it, but then i can execute on that...that's what craps me up with swapping LOL just an issue i need to get over.

well, that's it for now. i have an early morning tomorrow.

be well everyone, stay warm and remember....Spring is on Monday, 21 March 2011...56 days, 19 hours remain.

maryanne

p.s. mellen, i would love that website/link as well.

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shirley - I'm glad you got the prize and that you will enjoy it. I really had fun hosting this month and look forward to hosting again in August for the ice cream social theme.

I am waiting to here on the status of the shipments from Melinda, Sue G. and Remy. Other than those three, I think everyone else received their packages. Please let me know if I left anybody out. It's getting late in the month so hopefully we will get things wrapped up for January soon.

Special thanks to all our bloomin friends for participating in this month's "For The Birds" bird feeder swap. I know our little feathered friends are grateful.

Stay warm everyone.

Sue N.

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a corrected updated status list. I'm sorry I didn't have all the info accurate in the last post. I think we are just waiting for a couple to be mailed out and others that are on ther way. Please post here once you receive. Thanks everyone.

Melinda sends to Jennifer - received
    Sue G. sends to Dottie - will be sending shortly
    Remy sends to Treasa - will be sending shortly

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Happy Monday!

Sue~DC# 9101 1288 8230 0513 8010 56 for Faye's box shows it was delivered on the 21st.

later...April

• suegardens2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update April. It's so cold in NE Ohio today they closed many schools. I hope everyone is staying warm. I have to run. I'm on my lunch break. Talk to you all later.

Here's our revised status update:

Melinda sends to Jennifer - received
    April sends to Faye - received
    Sue G. sends to Dottie - will be sending shortly
    Remy sends to Treasa - will be sending shortly