Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new: new obf for the birds january 2011 swap

Posted by suegardens2 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 27, 10 at 16:42

Hi everyone. The holidays have been moving along so quickly its hard to believe the new year is almost here. I hope your holidays have been good and that all is well with you and your loved ones. This is my first time hosting the OBF swap so needless to say, I am excited! I invite all of you to to participate in our first swap of 2011.

I chose the theme, "For The Birds" because they are so dear to my heart. It's so easy to forget about their needs at this time of year during the cold and dreary winter when food is most in demand. I hope you will all join me in this exchage and provide sustinance for our little feathered friends while we all wait for spring.

What you will send is a bird feeder (make it one you would like to receive please) seeds for plants that provide food for the birds during the winter, an item of your choosing with a bird theme (i.e. a 2011 bird calendar)and a recipe for your favorite homemade bird food concoction.

Signs up will be until Sunday, January 2nd. This will give everyone plenty of time to find a bird feeder and mail it by January 17th.

Please post here to sign up. I will assign partners by the evening on Monday, January 3rd. Then everyone will contact their partners for their mailing information. Once you have mailed your package, please send me an email with the DC number. Finally, please post here once you receive your package.

Check back periodically after partners are assigned. I will be posting some fun games and awarding prizes to the winners!

If you have any questions, or if I left out anything, please let me know.

Sue N.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: new obf for the birds january 2011 swap

Sue, Best of luck with your first swap. The birds are lucky to have a good friend like you! I'm sorry, but I can't participate this month. I will drop by to catch up on the news and see what fun all of you are having.
Happy New Year to all!
Jeanne

o

Sue - Please sign me up...sounds like just what we need to chase those winter blues away.

Shirley

o

Bird lover here! I feed them year around. Sign me up, please.

o

It's so nice to see that we have the swap underway. We already have three people signed up. So far we have

Shirley (brittneysgran)
Mary Ellen (mellen)
Sue N. (suegardens2)

Anyone else lurking that wants to join?

Sue N.

o

Sign me up please!!

later...April

o

Bird Lover here as well. Please sign me up! :)
Happy New Year!
vina

o

Please sign me up. I love to feed and watch them.
Faye!

o

Please sign me up.
Happy New Year, everyone!!
Treasa

o

It's good to see all of you signing up! We now have participating:

Shirley (brittneysgran)
Mary Ellen (mellen)
April (dirt_under_my_nails)
Vina (flowergirl34)
Faye (nottougly)
Treasa (uptreasa)
Sue N. (suegardens2)

We are off to a good start!

Jeanne, I am sorry you won't be able to join us this month, but I understand.

April, I love the graphics you use! They really are gorgeous!

Keep those sign-ups coming! I'll check back later.

Sue N.

o

Oh please sign me up! I love birds and bird things. I decorate inside and out with bird stuff! Melinda

o

what a great idea! i think i am going to pass, unfortunately; i have WAY too many cats, both pets and feral, around our house and i always feel like i'm luring birds to a sad fate when i put out feeders :( my daughter and i used to make peanut butter pine cones rolled in seeds for christmas gifts when she was little-- now she's too cool to ever do anything like that with me LOL. have fun everyone!

o

Rose - I'm sorry you can't join us. I used to make those pine-cone bird feeders with my kids, and now I make them with the granchildren! One day perhaps you will have grandkids to take over the fun stuff your daughter used to do with you before she became "too cool". With grandkids the bonus is you get to send them home...lol!

Here's an update of our participants for the January swap.

Shirley (brittneysgran)
Mary Ellen (mellen)
Vina (flowergirl34)
Faye (nottougly)
Treasa (uptreasa)
Melinda (ilovefarac)
Sue N. (suegardens2)

Sitting out:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Rose (rosemctier)

I'm off to shop for prizes for our upcoming games. How fun it is to host, I am so excited that we are off to such a good start!

o

I'd love to do this one too. I'm sitting here watching the snow and re-reading a bird book from one of last summer's swaps. We always feed the birds weather we are at home or traveling so this book was a real prize for me. Thanks again MaryAnne.
Not many birds out today. It's pretty ugly.
Looks like the next wave of storms is beginning to work it's way across the country.
As long as we don't loose electricity, we are set to just sit here and enjoy watching the storm.
Hope all of you are snug and warm too.
BB

o

Hi, all ---
Shirley, I think I missed your birthday. For some reason I thought it was today and went back and looked at the bios and they show it as last week. Anyway, either Happy Birthday or a Belated Happy Birthday.
Anyone else who we missed in December?
I really relied on Melissa posting them each month to keep me straight. (Miss you, Melissa!)
Jeanne

o

Jeanne-My Birthday was 12/24....thanks for the wishes. I miss our Melissa too. Its strange but when I was having computer problems I could get on some things but could not post on GW. Not sure if that is what is happening to Melissa but I do see her on facebook.

Hi Beth

Sue N - Nice turn out for the first swap of 2011.

I'm feeling so bad....I have a colonoscopy test to do tomorrow and today has been terrible. First time in my life that I have not eaten all day. This will be my first test and the last.

Shirley

o

Hi Sue, Thanks for hosting. Great theme! I love birds and have non-stop squirrel wars here to feed them. Sign me up, please!

Oh Shirley, Don't fret. The whole thing isn't scarey or unpleasant. I had one last year and it was over before I knew it. You have already done the worst of it, which is actually the day BEFORE! You will feel really happy when you confirm that everything is where it should be and you won't have to do it again for a long time!

Happy belated birthday, Jeanne. I know it's hard having a Christmas birthday. My granddaughter is Dec 18 and that's close enough, but my grandson is Dec 27. Worse. My oldest son is Jan 2 and he hates it! Seems everyone wants to get back to work and ignore it and he never gets to take the day off!

Trying to stay warm here. Got into the teens last night. Brrrrr. Have a good night, all.
Dottie

o

Hi everyone -

I am glad to see some more sign ups. Welcome Beth and Dottie.

Shirley - Happy belated birthday! Thanks for the words of encouragement regarding the swap. I was a little nervous since I haven't hosted before. I hope your test went well today and that you are resting up at home!

I got a couple of little prizes lined up for the games that will start next week.

I'll check back with you all later. Have a good night everyone.

Sue N.

Here's an updated list of participants:

Shirley (brittneysgran)
Mary Ellen (mellen)
Vina (flowergirl34)
Faye (nottougly)
Treasa (uptreasa)
Melinda (ilovefarac)
Beth (beth_b_kodiak)
Dottie (luckyladyd)
Sue N. (suegardens2)

Sitting out:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Rose (rosemctier)

o

• Posted by mellen 4a/5-ctrl. IA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 22:26

Sue, you are doing great! Nice sign up so far. I recognize most of you. It is good to be back. Now if we can get Remy, Maryanne, and CAROL to sign up, that would be even better. AND anyone else, please??? Waiting for another storm...this time rain, freezing rain, and sleet. We have plans to go to MO on Saturday to relatives. Hope the weather will let us go.

o

Where are our Remy, Maryanne and Carol....HELLO ladies we need you for this swap. LOL

Dottie - Did you ever hit the nail on the head. Today was a piece of cake compared to yesterday....sure glad its over. The only bad thing was they stuck me 3 times looking for a vein....I HATE NEEDLES. It wasn't their fault though my veins are always hard to find. It is a miracle if nurses get a good vein on the first try. It didn't help I was close to dehydration either.

Sue N - After my tests I came back home and slept and then went shopping. I found some good 50% off Christmas sales. DH took me out to eat so that was nice as well. The restaurant gave me a free brownie, whipped cream and ice cream dessert because of my Birthday. It was so nice. Eddie told me I was making up for not eating the day before.

Shirley

o
RE: january 2011 swap

Oh I almost forgot...Please everyone change my e-mail address to flowerlover1@frontier.com on your OBF questionaires. Verizons conversion to Frontier is offically over as of 12/31/10 so I can't get e-mails through verizon after tomorrow.

Thanks

o

Good morning everyone

Thanks for your words of encouragement and your help rounding up our friends ladies. Ok, Remy, Maryanne and Carol and anyone else that wants to join. Well, hopefully we'll hear from you all soon. In the meantime, let's think happy thoughts of spring! It will be here before you know it. Ok, I admit, sometimes I am overly optimistic, but it is going to be in the fifties here today according to the weather forecast. That's a big improvement over the balmy seventeen degrees a few days ago...lol. Have a great day everybody!

Sue N.

o

Hello,

I would like to sign up for this. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Jennifer

o

Wanted to "Hop on In" and wish all the lovely OBF ladies a wonderful and safe Happy New Year!! May it be a blessed year for you all and a great one! God Bless! Melinda

o

Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 14:03

Jennifer, I was just looking at your trade list and see that you are wanting quite a variety of tomato seeds. Our Remy is the "tomato queen." She has tons of tomato varieties. You can order from her at the sample seed shop. Her prices are incredibly low and she ships quickly. Take a look. I think you will be pleased.

o

Birds, eh? My little Stella is throwing fits because the birds are eating their suet outside the window and she can't get to them. It's fun to watch her though. She'll make little growls and boy does that tail ever twitch! We've been getting mostly bluejays lately, which is a bit strange. Usually it's those cheeky chickadees teasing her.
'Tis a grand idea you had for a swap Sue!
-Dan

o

How do I get to Remy seeds? Thanks for the info.

Jennifer

o

Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 0:59

sampleseeds.com

o

JANUARY - Sue N. (For the Birds)
FEBRUARY - Vina
MARCH - Treasa
APRIL - Rose (Made in the Shade)
MAY - Mellen (Flowers from the April Showers)
JUNE
JULY
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
OCTOBER
NOVEMBER
DECEMBER - Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)

Still alot of months to the taken.....Come on ladies and sign up.

Jennifer- We would love for you to join our group. However, we do have some rules for joining. You must trade with two members from the group before joining a monthly swap. When they confirm the trades were successful you are in. This can be seeds, bulbs or plants. We would also like members to join in the monthly swaps during the year. You do not have to join all 12 months during the year but more than one or two. It is a year long commitment with the group and not just a one time swap.

Boy did we get a scare last night. My family all gathered at our Church to have a New Years get-together. We all planned to see the New Year come in. I was in the kitchen and heard a really loud bang. I thought the kids had broken something. The men in the group could not figure it out right away for the kids had not broken a thing. My SIL looked down and there was a bullet. Someone had shot into the Church. My Aunt called the pastor (got him out of bed) and he came right over. Not sure if it came into the Church accidentally or if someone shot right into the Church. Just thankful no one was hurt.

Shirley

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 10:52

Hi Everyone!

I've been busy busy as usual. I've been mulling over whether or not to join the swap, being I'm on the uphill of my busy season. But I think I will join.
I have to send out the updated questionnaires to everyone. I'll do that in a little bit.
Remy

o

Geesh Shirley, That really is a scare.
Lets hope it was accidental.
I just keep saying, "the world is crazy"
We are still snowed and iced in here,(4 days now) almost unheard of for this part of AZ.
It has created perfect bird watching though. Lots of cardinals, quail, Mountain Blue Birds, Roufus sided towhee, chickadees and of course sparrows.
Beautiful beautiful.
Jenifer, I'll do a quick seed trade to get you started.
Bethb

o

Happy New Year All!

Shirley~ Glad everyone was ok!!!

Sign me up for hosting October please!!!Thinking Boo-tiful Blubs as the theme.

Later...April

o

FEBRUARY - Vina
MARCH - Treasa
JUNE - Shirley
JULY
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
OCTOBER - April (Boo-tiful Bulbs)
NOVEMBER

All months covered but 4. YOU CAN ALWAYS SIGN UP AND COME UP WITH A THEME LATER.

Shirley

o

Happy New Year!

Photobucket

Wow, Shirley, what a scare. I'm glad all of you are okay.
Beth, have fun watching the birds. What odd weather for you!

Jeanne

o

Thank God everyone is ok Shirley! That had to be scary! Happy New Year everyone! I will host for November. Will have to think up a theme for it before then! Will have plenty of time! Hope everyone has a wonderful New year! Melinda

o

Photobucket

FEBRUARY - Vina
MARCH - Treasa
JUNE - Shirley
JULY
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
NOVEMBER - Melinda

o

Hi everybody -

I hope you are all enjoying the holiday. Mine has been busy as usual. I'm sure you have all been busy too. I'm glad to see our friends signing up to host for the next few months.

Shirley - I am sorry to hear about the bullet, and at church of all places! I hope it was just a freak accident.

Dan - It's nice to hear from you. I'm glad you liked my swap idea. Hope you are having a relaxing time watching the birds. I'll bet you're tired from the busy holiday season and all of the extra mail.

Beth - I'm sorry to hear that you are still snowed in. Ice can be especially dangerous. I spun out on the freeway last winter on a patch of black ice and thought I was a goner, but thankfully I'm still here! Thank God! I'm glad you are enjoying the birds. Don't they brighten your day no matter the weather?

Thanks for doing a seed exchange with Jennifer to get her started.

Remy - I know you must be very busy with your seed store, but I am glad you are considering joining us. I will add you to the list of participants. By the way, I just received an order that I placed with you and wanted to say thanks for the great seeds and for the bonus pack of seeds as well. I visited your website briefly and I will try to spend more time there as soon as I have a chance. Looks very interesting, lots of information.

So here is our new list for the swap:

Shirley (brittneysgran)
Mary Ellen (mellen)
Vina (flowergirl34)
Faye (nottougly)
Treasa (uptreasa)
Melinda (ilovefarac)
Beth (beth_b_kodiak)
Dottie (luckyladyd)
Jennifer (jshipway)
Remy (remy)
Sue N. (suegardens2)

Sitting out:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Rose (rosemctier)

If anyone else is thinking about joining us, you still have until the end of the day tomorrow to decide. I'll check back later.

Sue N.

o

As much as I talk about Stella and Bump, it amazes me when someone doesn't know they're my cats...lol! Sue, thanks for the e-mail, I'm still chuckling about you thinking I had dogs. I guess when I was talking about Stella growling at the birds I should have clarified that. For anyone who doesn't know them, both of my cats are maine coons, Bump is almost 4 and Stella just turned 2 this past November. They are my kids, spoiled rotten, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Bump is my confidante and therapy cat, and Stella is our boss...lol! Here is a picture of them when they were a little younger and smaller...
Photobucket

-Dan

OH! I almost forgot! Sue, I'll be lurking on this swap. January is always a recuperation month for me so I can catch up on my sleep, re-energize, and attempt to wipe out of my memory the trials of being a mailman at christmas time. The only swap I'll be participating in for the next month or so is Jeanne's birthday quilt block swap, and that's only because I've got the sewing already done and just have to put those blocks in the mail at the appropriate time.

o

I would like to join -- I have a good suet recipe if I can just find it LOL....

Thanks for the good idea for Jan swap!

Sue G.

o

Bethb- I sent you an email letting you know what i am interested in as to your seeds. Thanks for wanting to do a trade with me.

Who else would like to do a trade with me. Let me know.

Jennifer

o

Happy New Year All My Bloomin Friends!!!!!!

As the new year blooms, may your journey be fragrant with the aroma of new possibilities, may you harvest all available opportunities, may the sun shine brightly on all your hopes and dreams and your heart be happy with love!

Shirley, my goodness, how fortunate you all were that no harm came to anyone. Thank God!!!!! Put me down for September. I'll do a Divide and Conquer swap. By that time, everyone is beginning to clean out their beds, dividing and put them to rest for fall/winter.

Jennifer, will be happy to see you join us. Please also keep in mind that one of the rules for a newcomer is that you must send your end of a trade first before an assigned partner sends to you.

Sue, you are doing great with your first swap! Unfortunately, I must pass for this month, but will stop in during the month to chat.

Beth, I am so thrilled at how much enjoyment you are getting out of the bird book. They are amazing creatures, aren't they? I just love when I see one for the first time. If it wasn't for you, I never, ever would have given squirrels a real look-see.

My granddaughter is finally feeling 99% better. Last night we made a "santa village" out of gingerbread for our new year project, since before and during the christmas holidays she was so sick.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

and today, we made personal size pizza. great fun.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

and last but not least....that's me on the board....if only i was close to being this skinny!!!!
Photobuckethave a great week ahead everyone. weather is insane. it was 18 the other day and it's been around 50 today. now there is some rain to wash away the snow. go figure!

maryanne

o

Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 10:52

Shirley, Praise the Lord noone was hit or hurt. Just thinking about it gives me the chills.

Sue G., GREAT to see you are joining you "oldie" you. And Remy!!! Maryanne, :(. Your grand is GORgeous!!! She has the most beautiful eyes. As far as we know, you ARE that skinny. And so am I...

Dan, I loooove your kitties. I have two, also, Precious and Punkin. Cats always seem to find us as all of ours over the years have been drop-ins that nobody claims. They are just the best company, aren't they? I will never be without a cat.

Anxious to see how we are paired up this month. It has been so long since I was in a swap that I am excited again.

Happy New Year all you wonderful people!

o

dang, i resized all those photos...not too sure what happened.

mellen, how wonderful to see you posting again. when i took my hiatus and then came back, i was sad not to see you!!! now i'm not so sad!!!!!!!!! thanks for the kind words. her eyes, in person, are a gorgeous blue. i can never capture that in pictures though.

the snow is almost all gone today, but i do think we are headed to lower temps this week.

i got a haircut today. i donated my hair - they were able to take 14" for locks of love. there was another 3 or 4 on the floor by the time she was done. feels great to have that weight off my head! my granddaughter told me i look like a complete boy!!!!! oh well. now that that's gone, i need to shed some body weight. i'm amazed at what i've done to myself in the last year or so. oh well, there's still time!

maryanne

o

I am enjoying a glass of vino and catching up on GW. Sue, I will be passing this month. Enjoy and have fun! I love the theme!!

Happy New Year!!

Annie

o

Good morning everyone. Here is our final list.

Shirley (brittneysgran)
Mary Ellen (mellen)
Vina (flowergirl34)
Faye (nottougly)
Treasa (uptreasa)
Melinda (ilovefarac)
Beth (beth_b_kodiak)
Dottie (luckyladyd)
Jennifer (jshipway)
Remy (remy)
Sue G. (sguanzon)
Sue N. (suegardens2)

Sitting out:
Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Rose (rosemctier)
Dan (dan_the_mailman)
Maryanne (earthlydelights)
Annie (canyonwind)

I will be partnering everyone up later today.

Dan - sorry that I thought your cats were dogs...lol! They are gorgeous by the way.

Maryanne - Your grandaugther is precious! How adorable, the picture she drew of you! It looks like you two have lots of fun together. She will surely remember these times when she gets older. Sorry you can't join us this time, but I understand.

Annie - Sad to see that you won't be able to join in the fun this month. I am glad you like the theme. Lots of people have commented on it on a positive note.

Sue N.

o

Ok. Is everybody ready? I have partnered everyone up. Please contact your partner for address and/or other info if you don't have it. Once you have mailed your package please send me an email with the DC number. Have fun!

Jennifer sends to Shirley (JENNIFER SENDS HERS FIRST)
Shirley sends to Melinda
Melinda sends to Jennifer
April sends to Faye
Faye sends to Beth
Beth sends to April
Sue N. sends to Sue G.
Sue G. sends to Dottie
Dottie sends to Remy
Remy sends to Treasa
Treasa sends to Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen sends to Vina
Vina sends to Sue N.

I will be posting our first game this evening. I'll check back later. Please let me know if you have any questions. This is my first time hosting a swap, and I want to be sure I get everything just right.

o

Happy Monday everyone! Just thought I'd check in...and I see we are paired up :)

Sue, I'm sending you an email through the GW. I can't find your info on the OBF list I have.

I'll start getting my box together later in the week.

Maryanne, WHAT A CUTIE!! And I love the pink Santa jammie pants! Too cute!

Shirley, so glad everyone was okay! The world is getting crazier and crazier...I'm just hoping it was an "accident" and not an "on purpose"...I mean really A CHURCH!!

Hope everyone has a super day!! It's only about 25 here today. But yesterday, the snow started melting so I could see some grass...and today the SUN is out!! Just puts you in a good mood when the sun is out! No matter how cold it is. :)

Talk to you later!
vina

o
Bird Game #1

I am happy to post our first bird game. The correct answers will name both the common name of the bird and the state(s) it represents. Please post your answers to the questions here.

1) This state bird shares a name with its largest city's major baseball team.

2) This bird visits my Ohio garden often. Since this species is so widespread, maybe he visits your garden too. Also known by the name of red-bird, he is the state bird of seven states.

3) This state bird is actually a chicken. During the revolutionary war, this bird was pitted in cock fights by army officers. What a terrible way to treat a bird! Savages!

4) This fellow prefers to run rather than fly and has been known to run at speeds as high as 15 miles per hour. You probably remember him antagonizing that coyote on a famous cartoon series.

5) This bird stays busy building many nests to use as decoys. Would-be predators think twice before attacking since a cactus provides the nesting grounds for this state bird. I wonder if that's where it got it's name?
6) This bird has brown marbled plumage in summer, but in winter it's plumage turns pure white. Perhaps the white color serves as a camouflage in this region of the United States.

7) This peach state's capital hockey team may have been named after its state bird.

8) This brown sea bird that lives mostly on fish, brings to mind the coastal areas of Florida, but is not their state bird. You can often find it overwintering in the Gulf of Mexico as it is sensitive to cold temperatures.

9) This bird is the state bird of five states. It's mentioned in the title of a 1962 novel written by Harper Lee.

10) This bird is the state bird of two states. Although his name portends melancholy, he sings a rather happy tune.

Good luck to all of you. I will post when we have a winner.

o

just crawled out from under the wreaths and centerpieces. I'm out this month. Shirley looks like I missed your b day. so happy late bday wishes. I will take christmas in july as it is usually what I do. Maryanne, that baby is no longer a baby, what a beauty. you must be proud. valentines day is coming so I"m about to be buried in roses. I got a ds lite for christmas so I'm also busy trying to keep mario alive. big hugs to all my bloomin friends I found melissaPhotobucket

o

1) Baltimore Orioles/Maryland
2) Cardinal/West Va, Va, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, NC, Ohio
3) Blue Hen Chicken/Delaware
4) Road Runner/New Mexico
5) Cactus Wren/Arizona
6) Willow Grouse/Alaska
7) Brown Thrasher/Georgia
8) Brown Pelican/Louisiana
9) Northern Mockingbird/Arkansas, SC, TN, FL, Texas
10) Eastern Bluebird/New York, Missouri

Shirley

o

Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 0:25

WOW, Shirley! I know what you did this evening.

Melissa, so good to see her. Thanks, Carol. :P

Vina, I spent some time looking over your have/want page. you have a beautiful place. Wanna come over and decorate my yard? I have the plants just no imagination in placement.

o

Shirley - You did a great job! You got them so quickly. The only difference I found was for number nine. My source shows the Carolina Wren for the South Carolina state bird. The mockingbird is the state bird for Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas. But I say you get the prize anyway, close enough. So, I will send you an email with your choice of prizes. Thanks for playing!

I will be posting our second game later in the week. Stay warm everyone!

o

Good morning everyone!

That is the biggest bunny I have ever seen. It may have been a while since I've seen Melissa, but she looked more petite than that :)

Mary Ellen, thanks for the lovely compliment! Those pics are now a couple of years old and my brother in law put them on there for me.I've added about 4 new beds since then. I want to take new ones in the spring and get him over here to repost...I may have to bribe him with cookies :)...and I learned how to make anything look good in a picture...If you get far enough away, everything looks great :)

Shirley, BRAVO and CONGRATS on the win! :)

Have a great Tuesday everyone!
vina

o

April, I'll need your address.
Maryanne, she is a real doll and those are beautiful eyes.
Sue you are doing a great job. Loved your game and remembered many answers from having lived in those states.
Lived in MD for over 20 years but never saw an oriole there. Here in AZ I was surprised to see "lots" of them
The snow is beginning to melt and the school busses are running again. I'm ready for spring.
Hope all of you are well.
BB

o

Shirley I need for you to email me your address please.

Thanks,
Jennifer

o

Beth - I'm glad you liked the game and I am happy to hear the snow is melting. I know what you mean about spring, I'm ready too.

Well I am off to work on composing our second game. Good night all.

Sue N.

o

Sue - I was going back and forth...reading and posting so it looks like I got a little confused. LOL Thanks

Jennifer - I sent you the info.

Maryanne- What a gorgeous young lady your GD is. Your hair was really long to cut that much off.

Shirley

o
Game #2 - Interesting Bird Facts

This game is a fill in the blank type. Just the missing word(s) is all that is needed in your answers. I will post when we have a winner.

1. The ____________ gets its pink color from its diet of shrimp and other crustaceans.

2. The _____________ is the heaviest flying bird. It weighs as much as a six-year-old human child.

3. The ____________ owl is the world's smallest owl weighing only 1.5 ounces.

4. The only know poisonous bird in the world is the _________________. Poison is found in its skin and feathers.

5. The most egg yolks ever found in a single chicken egg is _____________.

6. Birds are the only animals that have ________________________.

7. ________________ is the scientific name or class for birds.

8. The ______________, frequently referred to as a flying rat, can fly up to one hundred miles per hour.

9. The ___________, best known for where babies come from, has no vocal organs.

10. The _______________ eats every ten minutes and consumes twice its body weight in nectar per day.

11. The ________________ is native to Africa and is known to be the world's largest bird.

12. When you think of ___________ ______________, a popular bourbon probably comes to mind, but Ben Franklin wanted this bird to be named the official bird of the United States

13. The ___________ is the only parrot that builds a nest.

14. Surprisingly, given the frigid temperatures, there are 65 species of birds on the continent of ____________________.

15. The American Robin can be found in every state of the United States except __________________.

Good luck to all of you. Have a great day.

Sue N.

o

Wed, Jan 5, 11 at 11:10

Hi All,
I just emailed everyone the updated version of the questionnaires with Sue N.'s info and Shirley's email updated. Let me know if you didn't get it or if I need to update anything else.
Thanks,
Remy

o

1 flamingo
2 Great bustard
3 Northern Pygmy owl or elf owl
4 variable or brown pitohui
5 9 yolks
6 gizzards
7 ornithology
8 racing pigeons
9 stork
10 hummingbird
11 ostrich
12 wild turkey
13 Quaker
14 Antarctica
15 Hawaii

o

Oops, were you looking for Aves for number 7?

o

Hi Treasa -

Yes, number 7 is Aves. Number 6 is not gizzards, reptiles can have gizzards too. All of the other ones are right though. Do you wanna give number 6 another try? I think we will all agree that you are the winner anyway, since I didn't get any other responses yet.

o

Oh.......... The answer to 6 is feathers!! LOL

o

Way to go Treasa.......very interesting and educational.

I'm planning a 40th Birthday surprise supper for my DD. Can't believe I have a child already 40....wow I feel old. I had Sheila when I was 19 and became a grandmother at 38. My Granddaughter was 21 yesterday.

Melinda I hope to mail your box tomorrow. Hope you like what I chose for you.

Shirley

o

FEBRUARY - Vina
MARCH - Treasa
JUNE - Shirley
JULY - Carol (Christmas in July)
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
NOVEMBER - Melinda

o

Congratulations Treasa! You're right, birds are the only animals with feathers. I'll email you later with your prize info. I'm off to work now. I work at a preschool and have to open at 7:30 am.

Shirley - Thanks for the updated hosting list. Is Maryanne still going to do the Divide and Conquer theme in October?

Have a great day everybody!

Sue N.

o

shirley, i said i would take september.

(Put me down for September. I'll do a Divide and Conquer swap. By that time, everyone is beginning to clean out their beds, dividing and put them to rest for fall/winter)

maryanne

o

FEBRUARY - Vina
MARCH - Treasa
JUNE - Shirley
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER - Maryanne (Divide & Conquer swap)
NOVEMBER - Melinda

Thanks Maryanne for taking a month.

Shirley

o

Just stopping by to say hello. How great this group is that almost all of the months have a hostess already! Sue N., you are a super hostess this month. Sorry I have not had time to come by to play games.
I hope everyone is staying warm. It keeps alternating between cold and warm here - that makes it hard to get used to one or the other.
We need to finish taking down our Chrsitmas decorations. We did some of it last weekend and I am always okay with things being up until Epiphany, then I want them down. Now it is time. Usually we just hurry and box it all up any old way, but this time I want to try to keep the decorations for various rooms in the same box with the other things for that room so it will take a lot longer to un-decorate, but hopefully make decorating easier next year. (Yes, we have lots of decorations! LOL)
Have a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

Hello everyone! Windy, blustery evening here. Suppose to be seeing the S word this weekend! YUK! I feel for you all who have tons of it!
Shirley will love it, I'm sure! Always love all my boxes!
Jeanne, I am like you! I have tons of decorations-but this year only used very few! Just no time to dig it all out and put it all up! Someday will have to go through and dwindle I am sure! When I moved many years back, I had a truck load of just Christmas boxes! Gotta love those Santas, etc!
Have a great evening all and good weekend! Stay warm! Melinda
P.S. For those of you who believe in the power of prayer, please pray for my baby sister. She had some really bad news today and we are waiting for biopsy report. Doesn't look good and she can use all the prayer we can give her! Thanks! Hugs to all!

o

Melinda,

Consider it done!

Maryanne

o

Melinda - Prayers being said for your baby sister as I type...God is good. We must pray for one another never ceasing.

FEBRUARY - Vina
MARCH - Treasa
JUNE - Shirley
AUGUST - Sue N (Ice cream social)
NOVEMBER - Melinda

Thank you ladies so much for stepping up and taking a month for 2011.

Photobucket

Snowing here today...I'm dissapointed because I have planned a surprise birthday supper for my daughters big 40. Not sure who will venture out with this weather lurking.

Shirley

o

beth_b_kodiak please email me your snail mail address.
Thanks,
Faye!

o

Prayers for Melinda's sister. ������

Everybody's blowing snow in my neck of the woods.

Have you seen all the beautiful catalog flowers lately? (drooling)

As for feeding the birds, the Bluejays have been taken over one feeder. We put out some of those birdseed blocks and they're gone in one day.

Well, after two years of procrastinating, I finally mailed my second lesson of homework in to Sage Mountain. It's a home study course on the science and art of herbology. I decided I need to buckle down and get it done, before winter is gone, and I put it off another year. I have 8 lessons to go. It's very educational and beneficial. I will be making a few tinctures in the next lesson. I am amazed at how much our livers do for us.

Hope everyone has a great day. Enjoy a nice cup of tea!

Be well. Treasa

o

Shirley- I am mailing out your package to you tomorrow. I also emailed you with the DC number. You will be getting it so. I hope you enjoy.

Jennifer

o

Melinda - Your sister is in my prayers.

Shirley - I hope everyone showed up for the surprise party for your daughter.

Hope everyone is staying warm. We didn't get as much snow here in Ohio as expected. But you never know what tomorrow may bring.

As a reminder, please email me with the DC # when you mail your packages so I can keep track of packiages mailed and received. Thanks.

Have a great day everyone.

Sue N.

o

We may be getting snow tonight so we'll see what happens when we get up in the morning. It was a nice day today - not too cold and it was nice and sunny so apparently this will come in all at once and surprise us.
Shirley, did it snow up your way? I sure hope it didn't ruin plans for the surprise party.
Melinda, let us know how your sister is doing. I certainly will keep her in my prayers.
Well, have way too much to do here so back to "work" on all that. Have a good week!
Jeanne

o

Tresa- Good for you..taking that course. We can never know too much.

Jennifer - Thanks for letting me know about the mailing of the package. Can't wait until it gets here.

Jeanne- The snow yesterday never did amount to much. I think tomorrow -Wednesday is when we are going to get it.

We did have the surprise party and it went well. I do think alot more would have come if the weather had been nicer. It was 11 degrees when we got home. This one friend of Sheila's gave her the cutest card. Actually a very BIG card. The whole card was written around candy bars. I will have to write the info down and post it. TOO CUTE. I know it started out with Dear WATCHAMACALLIT I wanted to take you shopping on 5TH AVENUE and to the SYMPHONY in New York City, etc. It had snickers, mounds, 100 grand, almond joy and lots of candy bars written into the story.

We lost two elderly gentlemen in our neighborhood this past week. I grew up knowing these fine men of God and playing with their kids. So sad....their wives are all alone now. I have shared with you all before how I grew up where I now live and everyone here are relatives. All the farms here are passed down from generation to generation.

Shirley

o

Hi All,
I've been trying to catch up a bit on GW, as I've been away from it for a while. We had some upsetting family issues over Christmas, and I am just starting to recover my sunny disposition :-)

Maryanne, your GD is adorable!

Shirley, so sorry about the loss of your neighbors. What a wonderful town you must have to live in, though.

Remy, I had a great bird feeder on order for you (and one for me too!), and just got an email from the company that they can't fill my order. I'm sorry for both of us! I will get right on it again and hope to not be late.

Melinda, I hope things go well for your sister.

Jeanne, we are due for snow again tomorrow. It's piled up in the parking lots and stays on the ground now. When it melts it will be a real mess.

Sue, great job on the hosting!

Treasa, great job getting back at it. You've inspired me and I called today to see about starting the master gardener program. Unfortunately, they are full for this year and I will have to wait until September's class, but it sounds like something I should do. Have any of you guys done it?

Hi to everybody else and happy new year!

Dottie

o

Dottie - I am signing up for the master gardener program this month. I have been a member of the Franklin Garden Club for 6 years and have just decided to try the master gardener group. I think the program is 6 weeks long.

I awoke this morning to the radio and it said our Company had closed because of all the snow we received. I'm not sure if the roads will be any better tommorow. The South really got slammed with this storm. I'm sure I could have gotten to work with my 4-wheel drive vechicle but no use if they closed for the day.

I have gotten some deep cleaning done today so thats a plus.

Shirley

o

HI All!!

Hope everyone is safe and warm tonight. Roads & schools are closed here. Freezing rain is falling again, hoping the power stays on. If you don't hear from me in the next few days..I'm ok...just no power!! We have plenty on wood to stay warm with & little camp stove to heat up soups & stuff. Kid's love snow days!! Just not sure how they will make them up. We only get 3 per year & used them before THIS storm!!!

Faye~ will mail out birdie box when the roads clear!

later....April

o

I am in the same boat as the rest of you in the South who have snow --- other than we have no way to cook, use water, or heat the house if the power goes off; so let's hope it stays on! Actually I am amazed we still have power.
First we got about 5 inches of really pretty snow and now the freezing rain is falling on top of it. I love snow so I really enjoyed that part of the storm. I think it is supposed to be below freezing for most of the week, so we'll see how we do. I'm sure they will be telling us to stay off the roads again tomorrow and I doubt many places will be open if their employees are being told to stay home. We have plenty of food so that is not an issue. I even boiled some eggs so we can eat those tomorrow if there is no way to cook.
Everyone stay safe and warm.
Jeanne

o

After reading all these posts about snow and ice, i am really hoping that everyone is warm and safe and that everyone's power stays on!! we live in a log cabin and cook and heat with wood anyway, so we are able to deal with power outages a lot more easily than some, but we have heaters in my daughter's room and bathroom. we were snowed in for over a week and lost power for three weeks during last year's freak storm of about 2 feet-- it was horrible. it amazes me that some areas can cope with 8 or 9 feet and we can barely cope with two, so i really feel for you guys in the south who aren't used to or equipped for this at all-- i am praying for all of you and your plants! i have a fantasy image of southern gardens that are generations old and filled with so many stories. i would be down there helping you cover everything if i could!

o

Yep...no work today again. That means I will have to use two vacation days in order to get a decent paycheck this week. I hate snow........DH worked half the day yesterday scraping our driveway and our daughters. We do have a tractor and that helps. This winter and last years is what I remember when I grew up here. Lots of snow in winter. Then we got spoiled and did not see much snow. When I retire I will definetely be in Florida during Winter. Those natives have in figured out....They come here in the Spring/Summer and go back to Florida in the Winter.

Shirley

o

This winter had been weird weatherwise, I know the birds here are sure appreciating the handouts. Seems we have more and more every day.
There is still a lot of snow here on the shady areas and down in the ravines. It will be two weeks tomorrow.
When we lived in the east we were generally fine as long as there was power. If the electric went off the generator was reserved for the chicken houses NOT for us. We might be cold but we were not going to be dieing off. LOL
Rose, your place sounds delightful. We always had a couple wood stoves in the house. Here, out emergency plan is to stay in the camper if there is no power in the house.
Hope everyone manages to stay safe and warm.
hugs,bb

o

We still have power. Hooray and what a relief! Most people are even heading back to work today alhtough on a delayed schedule. I think the schools may be closed. We have no school children at home so I really didn't follow th school closings when they scrolled acorss the TV last night.
Okay... time to use the electricity to get some things done!
Jeanne

o

Morning!!

Glad everyone is warm.Power still on here!! YAY!! Only bad thing is I don't have any coffee for tomorrow.I'm not the nicest person without my morning cup.Will feel sorry for the family if we can't get out today. LOL!!

later....April

o

April-The coffee situation would kill DH also. I have never been a coffee drinker....just don't like it.

Our power situation used to be terrible, if the wind blew too hard it would go out. The power company came out and trimmed back the trees really well so we have not had a power outage in 2-3 years. We do have a generator for back-up now and like Beth we can always go to the camper.

I have 4 new bird feeders and the birds are really working them. I bought them from a guy who makes them. He makes a wolf, wildcat, moose and bear. They hold 10lbs of bird seed so you don't have to fill them up as often.

Shirley

o

Just wanted to say thanks for the prayers! My baby sister indeed has breast cancer on the right. Now they are thinking maybe also on the left and some abnormalities with her uterus, so before we can have surgey or any other option we are waiting on more tests. We are taking it one day at a time and it is hard. Some of you know that I lost my mother with breast cancer few years back. That is weighing heavily on our minds for sure. And we lost our father in June, so I just don't seem to be taking this very well!!
Jennifer, I have the stuff for your package, will try and get it out. Just can't seem to function to do much!
Shirley, still waiting for yours. Maybe tomorrow it will be a bright spot in the day for me.
Hope everyone stays warm!! Been very cold here also, but we only got about 1/2 to 1 inch of snow.
Continue praying please.
Hugs, Melinda

o

Melinda, I'm sending prayers for you and your sister and the rest of her family.
Take care of yourselves and each other.
hugs
Beth

o

Melinda, I'm sending prayers your way (((((((BIG HUGS))))))))
vina

o

Oh Melinda I am so sorry to hear that. Prayers will continue for her healing. Hope your box arrives soon...sheesh. I thought priority was 2-3 days?

This is the bear birdfeeder.

BIG BEAR BIRHOUSE

o

Shirley, that bear feeder is adorable. Course, I'm partial to bears.
here is the D/C# for April's package.
0309 3220 0002 0698 6758
I started doing some winter sowing today.
Does anyone else do stuff with the square foot system?
I just got the "New" book for that and think I'll try it here. I'll need a fence but for that small a space.... fence should be pretty easy.

o

Beth, I tried the square foot system last year. It works pretty well, but the things that he tells you to grow up tellises don't always want to go up them! And, I got really bad whiteflies, I guess because things were so close together. I'll probably do it again this year, making some changes and see how it goes.

I have to start my wintersowing too. Anybody else doing it this year?

We got a load of snow again last night. Maybe 8 inches or so. DH got stuck in Chicago for an extra night and is due home tonight.

Just got the holiday decorations down today. House looks bare! There should be a holiday to decorate for now!

Dottie

o

Evening everyone!

Shirley that birdfeeder is too cute! Do you have the moose one? I would love to see a picture of that!

I'm starting my wintersowing, hopefully, this weekend. It just seems things have gotten really busy since the holidays. Can't wait to get into the DIRT! :)

Sue, I'm sending out your birdie box tomorrow. I'll post DC when I get back. Hope you likey, Taylor helped. She had alot of fun :)

Dottie, I put up some Valentines decorations last week because of the "bareness".

Hope everyone stays warm and dry.

Have a great night!
vina

o

Shirley, that birdfeeder is great! i too would like to see the moose. does he sell them online anywhere? i have a birdlover friend who would love that for xmas. yes, i think that far ahead LOL.
beth, i've dabbled in square foot gardening too. i do a lot of things in containers and raised bed and find his general system pretty productive, although i do tend to spread things out a little more. i did beans and snow peas in pots inside one february using his spacing and it worked REALLY well; i was surprised. i only have the first edition of the book and really like the little tables that tell you when to plant, and the pages devote to each plant. i found them very helpful. i will have to check out the new edition.

i had very good results with some experimental straw bale gardening last summer, so i will be focusing on that this year. has anyone tried that? i am also trying wintersowing for the first time too and am having trouble deciding what to WS and what to save. i have to do a lot more reading up on it i think.

o

Moose birdfeeder

MOOSE BIRDFEEDER

Wildcat birdhouse

WILDCAT BIRDHOUSE

Wolf birdfeeder

WOLF BIRDFEEDER

I had to fight off the birds to take a picture of the moose one. LOL The only thing I don't like about the wolf one is he put yellow eyes on it. He said the company he orderes the eyes from sent yellow instead of brown. I plan to find the brown and change them.

Rose - I can get you the info to order any of these. Believe it or not the birdfeeders are $25.00 and the birdhouses are $30.00. He puts so much work into them and they are made out of real wood. I'm sure he would ship them to you. My cousin bought me the bear birdfeeder and I loved it so much I ordered all the others for myself. I gave several of them as gifts for Christmas.

Melinda-I hope you are doing well today...thinking and praying for you and your sister. God be with you all.

Shirley

o

Good morning everyone!
Had a couple minutes...

Shirley, could you send me that information too. I just love that moose! And only $25! I bought a log cabin birdhouse at a local craft fair last spring and paid $50...your moose is much cuter :)

I don't know if this is considered straw bale gardening but every spring I put an entire bale of straw in my pond. Let it sink. The top just pokes up. The straw stops all of the algae from growing naturally, with no chemicals. And then I poke (cut out) holes in the top of the poking out part and plant flowers. I put in petunias, creeping jenny and I think coleous last year. The straw works like a wick and I never needed to do anything with them after they were planted. The frogs really like there little island for hiding. And I had a huge bullfrog that claimed it as his own later in the summer. In the fall I haul it out (the thing weighs like 150 pounds by then), let it dry and spread it on the ground in less than great areas in the yard. Plan on doing it again this year...but maybe with marigolds? Haven't decided yet.

Have a great day everyone!
Will post dc when I get back from the po.
vina

o

Dottie ,Rose and Vina, thanks for the Sq Ft feedback and esp for the hay bale info.
I looked that up and it may be the perfect answer for me. I had not been able to find bales of vermiculite and was searching for alternatives.
Vina, love the story of the pond and the frog. I can just picture that frog.
Shirley, those feeders are so cute. Hope the craftsman gets as much business as he can handle.
April, be watching for the mailman today and tomorrow.
Beth

o

Afternoon everybody!

Just got back from the po and Sue your box is in the mail :0)
DC# 0308 3390 0001 7950 7621

Later
vina

o
It's HERE!!!

Beth~ Thanks so much for my birdie box!!!

Inside there was :

2 bags of bird seed mixes

Great Metal Finch feeder(love the easy twist off top & bottom.Cleaning will be a breeze!)

Birds and Blooms Birds in Our Backyard Book(I will spend many hours pouring over this book!!!)

Seeds:
Purple Coneflower
Assorted Sunflowers
Indian Summer Rudbeckia
Yellow Sunshine Gaillardia

I'm off to enjoy some coffee & drool over my book. Feeder is already up!!

Kiddos are still out of school,cancelled again in the am too.They won't go back till Tues!!

later....April

o

Wow, what a wonderful box from Shirley! Did put a spot of cheer in my otherwise dreadful week!!
I rec'd:
nice birdfeeder
adorable wooden bluebird house
bird windchime
2 gorgeous redbird figurines
burlap bag of fragrant flower seeds
cuttings of yellow Christmas cactus
crocheted hat-- which I love and will enjoy while outside in this weather!!
set of notecards-pink with rose emblem and states "A note from Melinda"-very cool
daylily seeds and sunflower seeds!
I loved the box!! Thanks so much!
I also want to thank everyone for the prayers and concern!
Jennifer, yours will go out in the morning. I am putting it in the box in a little while. Thanks, Melinda

o

Melinda that is fine. It has been a crazy day here my kids did not have school today or yesterday and they are driving me crazy we have about 23 inches of new snow.

Jennifer

o

Melinda - Glad you were pleased with the box. Happy to see your spirits lifted.

Vina- I will get you that info. The moose measures 16" across and 19" long.

April - School is still out here as well. On my way to work I went to brake at a stop sign and went sliding right out into the highway. Lucky for me no cars were coming. It's so cold it just won't melt.

I received a most wonderful box from Jennifer.

She sent:
nice birdfeeder
bird food recipe (September Harvest) and (Berries, Berries, Berries)can't wait to make these

seeds: marigold, texas redbud, joe pye, heart of gold cantaloupe, brown eyed susans, golden star mum, echinacea milkshake, cone flower, echinacea purpurea,

these trees:
2-white flowering dogwoods
2-flowering crabapples
2-washington hawthorns
2-eastern redbuds
2-golden raintrees

I love everything Jennifer..thank you so much. I have planted the Arbor Day Foundation trees before and loved them.

Vina- I definetely want to try the straw in the pond. Sounds like a wonderful idea.

I hope to wintersow some seeds this week-end.

Shirley

o

Shirley, those feeders are great. I'm so jealous of people who can use them! Here they would just be squirrel feeders, and all the wood would be chewed, as well.

Remy, I almost have your box together. Will try not to be late!

Jennifer, 23 INCHES of NEW snow?? Where do you live?? I thought NJ was bad!

Vina, your straw in the pond thing sounds so cool! Makes me want a real pond.

Gah! My son is home and playing some of that rap on his computer so loud I can't hear myself think! Must go in the basement and tend my "indoor" garden to escape!

Have a good day, all!

Dottie

o

We are no competition for your 24 inches, Jennifer, but our snow and ice sure are sticking around. I am lucky because I have not had to go anywhere special so I have not gone off our property other than to the mailbox. However, my lunchtime walk with the dog caused both of us to slip on ice (not fall luckily.) It is very unusual how long this snow is lasting. That is not usually the case here in South Carolina.

Here is a picture of poor St. Francis out in the garden. He has a full body, you just can't see it!

Photobucket

In just a little while I am going to give it a try and go to the new grocery store near us that was supposed to have opened on the 12th. I really need to see something beyond my driveway!

Jeanne

o

Dottie - We have lots of squirrels here but my Husky (Hanna) lets nothing in the yard. She is constantly keeping watch. She keeps the deer out too.

Jennifer - I will have to quit complaining about snow after hearing about all yours.

My great niece (Emily) is spending the week-end with me and I love it. She does have to go to school for 2 hours tomorrow to make up for all those snow days. I have a fun filled day planned when she gets out. Her Mom went on a Christian retreat with the youth at their Church. She has 4 children so four of us took one to keep so she could go.

Shirley

o

Hi everyone -

I have been MIA because I am ill. I went to the doctor yesterday after trying to get better on my own for over a week. I thought I had a cold that turned into a sinus infection. Turns out that I have a bad sinus infection and bronchitis and have to be careful that it doesn't turn into pneumonia, since I have a history of that kind of thing. NOw I am on strong antibiotics, decongestants, and cough syrup that knocks me out.

I hope you are all doing well and staying warm. I see everyone is having lots of snow and ice because of the storms. It hasn't been too bad here.

Sue, Shirley and Treasa - I sent your packages out on Thursday and emailed your DC #'s. Shirley - I love the bird feeders.

I am on bedrest for the weekend, so I will check back in a little later. I am feeling really awful right now. Take care.

Sue N.

o

Hello,

Yes here in Maryland we get a lot of snow last year we got 25 feet total of snow for the winter. last Jan we got 5 feet of snow at one time. I would open the outside door and all you could see was snow. we had lost power for over a week last year with the snow. So far we have not lost any power and it has not snowed like last year. Last year nobody was able to get out the only way to get out was on snow mobiles. they had people that would bring food in for those that did not have snow mobiles. So far this year we are very lucky. We will see what nature as store for us as time goes on.

Jennifer

o

Sue, so sorry you are down with the uglies. Hope you'll be on the mend and back with us soon.

Jennifer, I never realized that Md. had so much snow! Being south of NJ, I always think everyone in that direction is progressively more tropical.

Remy, I sent your box today. Have the DC # somewhere and will post it later.

Shirley, my dog chases squirrels about once a day. They don't take her seriously any more. She runs out barking and growling, then gives up and just watches them from inside the house, while they hang on the bird feeders. I used to be able to get her to chase them on command by yelling "SQUIRREL!" and she'd run out the doggie door. Now she's pretty deaf and much less interested. She's learned that she will never catch one. These are amazingly clever. They unscrew all the bolts on the feeders if they can't chew through them! DH is perplexed! He can't believe he, an engineer, can't concoct something they can't defeat!

I've been sorting clippings and filing gardening info and recipes all day. I swear, I never want to read another magazine! And maybe I won't; our local Borders went out of business last week. They sold all their fixtures and furniture, too. We bought some of their library ladders and bookcases and plan to install them over the catwalks at the highest level of the vaulted ceiling. DH has a plan. The rest of us are all a little apprehensive. We are talking 16' in the air with power tools. Eeek.

Must get back to cleaning up the mess I made clearing off my desk. Have a good weekend, all.

Dottie

o

sue, i hope you get better soon! i have the same history, usually begins with allergies. oddly enough, though, i haven't had one case of pneumonia since i moved to the country! and the cabin is a mold factory. go figure.

jennifer, 25 FEET? oh my stars i would be moving south. i like just enough snow that i can build a snowman and go sledding, but more than that just sounds like torture.

wintersowed 9 containers last night, all i had. went to the recycling bins today and totally scored LOL. will be making more up tonight, and labeling some for seeds i should be getting this week. the gardening bug really bit me early and deep this year-- usually i'm content to have a few things sprouting in the bathroom but this year i've gone hog wild. ordered more daylilies than i know what to do with too-- no clue were i am going to put them but that's just a reason to prepare another bed, right? i blame the seed companies-- they keep sending me catalogs! no self control here, either :) anyone else wintersowing? this is my first year and i am a little nervous :(

o

Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 19:08

Sue, Hope you can beat your icky stuff. Have never had an allergy in my life, but I have a sister who struggles with asthma, etc. She can get pretty sick.

Our snow season is MUCH better/less than last year, so far. Missed at least 9 days of school last year so school went into the first couple weeks of June. I believe only 1 day has been missed so far, but I don't really keep track since I RETIRED. Sorry about that. I am loving retirement.

Vina, I have everything ready for you except finding a box. :( Since I took about a year off from here, I got rid of all boxes, and our local post office is so small that they don't keep them on hand. So as soon as I can get to a larger PO, I will get your goodies in the mail. Should be early part of the week.

Fed the birds today. They have really been hitting the feeders hard. Anyone else having the same thing?

o

Yes I am ready to move lol. But then the summer it is nice here. It is not hot at all which is very nice.

Jennifer

o

Hello everyone -

I am feeling a little better today. I am trying to regain my strength to go back to work tomorrow. I was so happy to see that wonderful packages are being sent and received by all of our gardening friends.

My package from Vina (and daughter, Taylor) came over the weekend, and I wanted to post how lovely everything is. It was so wonderul to receive such a well put together package, each item nicely wrapped and decorated with ribbons, stickers and notes!

Here's what I received:

A nice sturdy suet cake bird feeder
Two different suet cakes - one berry and one
woodpecker blend
A stuffed animal bluebird that chirps - sounds like a
lovely spring day - I love it!
A yellow glass baby bird picked out by Taylor, it's adorable and I will cherish it!
A crocheted butterfly magnet, handmade - Did you make this
Vina? It is adorable and on my refrigerator already
A yummy recipe for "Birdtastic Soft Suet Medley" - I can't wait to make this for the birds
A lovely silk bag full of flower seeds - I love all of these, especially excited about the clematis!

Vina - Please tell Taylor she did a great job helping you get the box ready, and that I really love it!

It's a balmy 11 degrees this morning, so I guess I'll stay inside so as not to aggravate my condition. I plan on going back to work tomorrow so I will putter around the house today.

I hope everyone is staying warm and that the snow and ice are subsiding especially for our friends in the south.

Take care all.

Sue N.

o

Happy Monday!

Sue, so glad my box made it to you. Taylor read your post and is beaming right now. Thanks so much!! We got your birdy and the cakes at Bass Pro Shops. The song bird was in a big bin of birds, we didn't know if it may be a dog toy or not...we thought it was cute either way. Hope you are feeling better soon. Feeling yucky when its that cold out only makes you feel worse :(

Still haven't started any wintersowing...I think I'm actually starting to have a withdrawal, lol! Absolutely have to do something THIS weekend!

Hope everyone is having a great night.
vina

o

Sue N - Sorry to hear you have been sick...glad you are on the mends.

Mellen-I am having the same problem as you...the feeders are being worked over by the birds.

Need to clean up the kitchen.....It's good to eat but what a mess.

Shirley

o

Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 21:47

Well, was housebound again today due to snow/ice. Was supposed to have book club tonight-postponed from last Monday due to weather-but it is postponed again. The same lady who has it this month had the same month last year. It was postponed 5 times. She called us all to tell us she was making a new rule-postpone only 3 times in a month then just move to the next month. It's all in good fun. So we are trying 1 more time for next Monday right after school instead of the evening. I've also rescheduled a Dr. appt. 4 times due to weather. HOPEFULLY, the 5th time is the charm? :)

Shirley, I just filled feeders later Saturday and early this morning at least 1 was less than half-full. Whew!
I have become hooked on watching owls and a hummingbird on a video cam. The hummer has 2 eggs that should "hatch" any day this week. 1 of the owls has 7 eggs and is sitting on them. The other owl is "getting ready" to lay eggs. Quite exciting, really. Plus you can chat with others who are watching. Anyone who wants the website just let me know.

Later, friends.

o

Morning All!

Sue~so sorry that you have the yuckies..Feel better soon!!

Faye~ your box will fly out in the am. The snow really set me back....Might be the first time I ever mailed out my box late!!!

Mellen~ PLEASE send me the link to the owls!!! My oldest is a total owl NUT!! It all stated with Hedwig from Harry Potter, then the Owls of Ga'Hoole books & movies came along.

Kiddos went back to school finally!!They were ready to go!! My 4 year is missing them though...

later...April

o

Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 18:47

Hi All,
My box from Dottie arrived! It was heavier than all get out. I couldn't figure out why. Well, I open it and it is stuffed and I mean stuffed with birdseed. It was in many ziplock bags. Within the seeds was a
beautiful Hummingbird feeder. The prettiest one I've ever seen!
There was also a tubular feeder, very nice too.
A very very pretty travel coffee mug. I love it!
A pot bird on a stick with wings that move decoration.
A pretty suet hanger and suet.
And did I say there was a lot of birdseed? LOL
I get to the bottom, and there is the note from Dottie. She writes that she had to break up the 10lb. bag of birdseed to make it all fit. I couldn't help but laugh. You didn't need to send it all and I can't believe you got it all in the box! It was so sweet.
Dottie, I think I'm all set with the birdseed for awhile : )
THANK YOU!

I've been killer busy with my business. I had a few gigantic orders this weekend along with all the regular ones. So I am way behind with everything including this swap.

Treasa, I did not forget about you. I have a partially done box. I want to get to the bird store before I send. The bird store is out by my SIL's.

Melinda,
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's problems. I know it has to be so tough on all of you. I pray they can take care of everything and she will be ok.

Shirley,
Your friend is quite talented with making the bird feeders.

I hope everyone is staying warm. It actually got above freezing here today! The snow was melting and it rained for a little while. It will probably freeze solid tonight : (

Take care everyone,
Remy

o

Hello everyone!
Mellen, I sent your box today. I hope you like. dcn# is 0307 0020 0000 2862 3575
That's very interesting, those owls and hummingbirds. I wouldn't think they'd be nesting now.

The birds have been gobbling up our seeds and suet.

I placed an herb order today. Will be making a few tinctures and a liniment.

Stay safe.
Treasa

o

Hey Remy! Glad you liked the box, and it got to you okay. I had a lot of fun making it. I was worried about the glass hummer feeder. I guess you figured out that I had to take the top and bottom off the tube feeder to make it fit. Glad your seed business is prospering.

I spent a couple of days organizing my clippings, mostly recipes, and have decided to make at least one thing every day from the books. Tonight we are having Leapfrog Chicken. I'll let you know :) (It smells awesome!) This afternoon I made chocolate chip and dried cherry cookies. Sounds weird, but they are amazing!

Must go tend to it and DH. Later.
Dottie

o
RE: new: new obf for the birds janary 2011 swap

Hey Remy! Glad you liked the box, and it got to you okay. I had a lot of fun making it. I was worried about the glass hummer feeder. I guess you figured out that I had to take the top and bottom off the tube feeder to make it fit. Glad your seed business is prospering.

I spent a couple of days organizing my clippings, mostly recipes, and have decided to make at least one thing every day from the books. Tonight we are having Leapfrog Chicken. I'll let you know :) (It smells awesome!) This afternoon I made chocolate chip and dried cherry cookies. Sounds weird, but they are amazing!

Must go tend to it and DH. Later.
Dottie

o

Goodness what wonderful boxes being sent and received this month. Really it's like Christmas every month when you join a swap. LOL

Remy-Good to hear your business is booming. Everyone loves seeds.

Mellen- I definetely want the website....how exciting.

Rose & Vina-I haven't forgotten the phone number for the bird feeders. Will send it to you.

Shirley

o

Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 1:44

Vina, I am going to be out and about tomorrow so will be getting a box from the PO. Hope to have it out on Thursday. I will post when it goes.

Yes, very nice birdie boxes. Treasa, I will be on the look-out. Thanks.

April, I sent the owl sites to you. Let me know if you get my e-mail.

Shirley, I will send them to you shortly. It is very addictive watching them.

Remy, congrats on your business. I see that you are a DG WatchDog Top 5. As you should be!!! :)

Having breakfast out with a couple of lady friends in the morning then off to the Dr. I haven't been out for 5 days.

o

I got my package from Melinda today. And I love everything.

She had included:
a Cedar Suet Shelter Bird feeder
Hummingbird Feeder
Two suet cakes
Automatic plant watering system
Bird houses and Bird feeders book
box of Tea.

Thank you so much.
Jennifer

o

mellen, if you could send be the owl and hummingbird links, i'd appreciate it.

shirley-- thank you :) i might bend my rule about bird feeders and get one for myself too, if i can figure out where to put it. it's hard to cat-proof a bird. maybe he could make me a cool moose planter instead LOL

sue, glad you're feeling better. the crud is just no fun!

i am merrily winter sowing away-- has anyone else been bitten by the winter sowing bug? i feel like i am taking an incredible leap of faith despite the rave reviews i've read. keeping fingers crossed!

anyone with experience sprouting daylily seeds? i have spent a small fortune on a few choice seeds, and i really don't want to kill them. i''ll be visiting te daylily forum later, but i like to read about as many personal experiences as possible.

eagerly awaiting the V-day swap. have been seeing such cute things around town and i can't wait to start shopping.

hope everyone is having a lovely and warm day!
rose

o

My birdie box arrived yesterday from Faye.
What fun!!!!
Faye sent
A suet shelter
A hummingbird windsock
A dove and flower windchime
A bright eyed owl
A recipe for suet cakes and a lot of seeds.
This winter is the first time I have fed suet and I was delighted to discover that it attracts the cactus wrens.
Really glad to have another one. This one will go up out front near the new garden.
also, surprise surprise, there was a hummer at the flower of the wind chime this AM. Don't they know it is still January???? I mixed up some feed and put it out as quick as I could get it cool.
Thanks a bunch Faye. I am enjoying everything you sent and will winter sow the seeds in a few days.
Bethb

o

Hi all, Shirley gotta have the addy to order those bird feeders. who has February ? I may be able to peek out from under the roses long enough to play, mostly lots of rain this year, looks like a lot of folks are trying square foot gardening, we do a little variation on it. we heard that if you grow your onions with your beans that your beans have a little onion flavor so we are gonna try that this year.hugs to all my bloomin friends
carol

o

Carol - I thought about you when I bought the wolf one. Sending you the info as well. Vina is handling our Feb. swap.

Let me know if you ladies don't get his name and number. You will have to call him and make sure he can ship them to you. Gail Hicks is my cousin who arranged for all the ones I bought from him. Mention her name and he will know.

FEBRUARY - Vina
MARCH - Treasa
JUNE - Shirley
AUGUST - Sue N (Ice cream social)
NOVEMBER - Melinda

Shirley

o

Good morning eveyone!

Shirley, thanks for the email. I'm gonna try to call later today.**cross your fingers**:)

Everyone is getting such nice birdy boxes. Sue, this was a great theme!

I have my February Theme all ready.
I'm thinking of doing a:

KISS Swap (Keep It Simple and Sweet). A card (it doesnt' have to be Valentines Day, just something nice you would like to share with a fellow OBF'er), some seeds and something you think is "sweet"...could be chocolate, cute notecards, a little something - something.

The idea is to "keep it simple".
Sound okay?

Talk to you later.
vina

o

Hi everyone -

I am coming back to the land of the living. Much more energy today. I will post a status update on what's been sent and received so far by tomorrow evening. I hope you are all staying warm. We are expecting another 5 inches of snow by tomorrow morning. I know I shouldn't complain about 5 inches, but I am getting tired of winter at this point. The birds really love the suet. I get four or five birds at a time. I am going to try the recipe Vina sent me over the weekend!

Happy everyone liked the theme this month. I think the February theme sounds great Vina.

Sue N.

o

yes, Vina, sounds great-- exactly what i was looking for! sign me up for february!

i too am sick of winter. i am trying winter sowing this year, so that helps, but i am sooooo tired of being cold. 59 days and counting :)

o

Thu, Jan 20, 11 at 15:46

Vina, I just got back from the PO. I sent your box, finally. The DC# is 0308 2690 0000 7993 0505

I think your idea for next month is fanTAStic! I will also be signing up when you are ready for it.

It is a nasty day out today. Sun is shining nice and bright, but the wind is blowing like crazy. Below zero wind chills already and supposed to get worse tonight. Plus it is blowing the now around again. Went through some drifts going to town plus icy where snow is blowing across the road. If it was nighttime, there were places where it would be a white-out. Was PLANning on meeting girlfriends for supper out tonight as a friend has flown in from AZ for a few days. But, I have decided it's not safe to go. If it was during the day, I probably would. But it would be driving home at night...Nope!

I'm thinking of wintersowing. I have all the suppllies just not the ambition. Yet.

Take care, all.

ME

o

Sue, I received the prize you sent. What a nice surprise!! Thank you so very much!!
Treasa

o

I received a great box from Sue on Wednesday.

2 Bird recipes
a Love the Earth calendar (I had forgotten to get one for my desk area so this was timely!)
a notebook with a quail on the front (I love quails!)
seeds (golden zucchini, cosmos sensation pinkie, and sunflower grey stripe)
a set of teapot cards
a 2011 pocket planner with kitten cover
a box of sandwich bags (how did you know? we got through these fast!)
a box of green tea assorted flavors
and
a gorgeous bird feeder, very beautiful and unusual, copper colored and three levels with adjustable perches..I've not seen another one like this

Thank you thank you thank you Sue for such a wonderful box!

Sue G.

P.S. Dottie - your box will go out today or tomorrow - so sorry for the delay....I just started a new job and I've been working lots of overtime...no excuses ...but it will be on its way soon!

o

Morning All!!!

Faye~ your box should arrive today. Just checked tracking # and it says it's out for delivery!!!

Mellen~ thanks for the owl link!!

Weatherman was wrong & boy am I glad!They were calling for an inch of snow last night. We got up to clear blue skies & NOTHING on the ground!!

later....April

o

Fri, Jan 21, 11 at 11:46

April, you are welcome. Have you had a chance to watch? has anyone else been able to get on and watch? Care to share your "names?" You can easily guess who I am. I saw a turtle person on there. Wondered if it was someone from here. It is so addicting and fascinating to watch. They know just what to do.

Snow and windchills were predicted for today. I don't see either of them. Yea!

Later.

o

Fri, Jan 21, 11 at 16:16

Dear, dear Treasa, You went above and beyond in this exchange. I am just overwhelmed...

-Birds and Blooms Extra-I receive the regular B&B from my Dad, but I already like this one better.
-a very pretty picture from a calendar that is just loaded with birds/birdhouses, and even a kitty. Pretty enough to frame.
-Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding hobby guide--I shopped in this store for the first time last week. I hope this is what I will be receiving in the mail...I signed up for something when I was there. :)
-a CD with backyard bird songs/calls. I will be putting this in my laptop to listen to when I finish here. Can't wait!
-a pamphlet with info. about bird feeding basics. I will keep this handy.
-Coooool seeds-lady in red salvia-don't even have to look this up as I know it is beautiful
-sunflower seeds-sunny smile, strawberry blonde, and chocolate
-a great bird feeder-have already filled it and put it outside. :P
-a pinecone with a ribbon tied around it--I will slather it with pb and put it out in just a bit. What an easy, neat idea!
-AND...a BEAUTIFUL bird scene engraved and painted on a piece of wood. It is a picture of a bluebird sitting on a twig with green leaves, white flowers, and blue berries. I absolutely LOVE it, Treasa! Any idea who the crafter is?
Treasa, thank you from the very bottom of my heart for so many thoughtful gifts. 8)

o

mellen, i've been watching and got a friend to watch too LOL. i witnessed the owl tearing a mouse to shreds and eating its intestines like spaghetti and i saw one of the baby hummers hatch. i still cannot figure out how the mamma is not impaling the baby in her enthusiasm to feed it

o

Mellen, You're very welcome. I am happy you are pleased. The crafter of the woodburning is a dear friend of mine. She's very talented. She has made hundreds of works of local art over the years. Lila's a special lady, her name is on the back. Sadly, she is in poor health. I was asked to sing at her service when the time comes.

WBU is a neat store.

The Lady in Red is from my garden. I keep saving seed year after year.

Happy birdwatching!! : ) Treasa

o

Hi Everybody,
We got some of that snow that you guys escaped. Just a couple more inches, but at this point, the parking lots are piled 20' high with snow and only half the parking spots are visible, so it's not much change.

Mellon, could I get that website for the hummers, too? It sounds great!

Sue, don't stress about the box. My birds (and squirrels%^&*(*&) are eating well already. DH has been really good about filling up the feeders, even when the squirrels empty them almost daily.

Did some wintersowing today. Got 16 gallon bottles out. They are covered in snow since yesterday.

Have a great weekend, all.

Dottie

o

Hi everybody -

I wanted to post an update on packages received:

Jennifer sends to Shirley - received
Shirley sends to Melinda - received
Melinda sends to Jennifer - status ???
April sends to Faye - on the way
Faye sends to Beth - received
Beth sends to April - received
Sue N. sends to Sue G. - received
Sue G. sends to Dottie - status ???
Dottie sends to Remy - status ???
Remy sends to Treasa - status ???
Treasa sends to Mary Ellen - received
Mary Ellen sends to Vina - on the way
Vina sends to Sue N. - received

Please remember to post here when you get your package. I couldn't find any info on packages received from any of the "status ???".

Treasa - I am glad you liked your prize. It was just a little token, but I hope you find it useful.

Sue G. - I am happy to hear you received the package. I hope you enjoy the bird feeder. I tried to find one that was unique, sturdy, and functional.

Melinda - I continue to pray for your sister and your entire family.

Shirley - I hope you received your prize. The DC says it was delivered on the 18th.

Everyone, I have had a great time hosting this swap. It is so gratifying to see the exchange of such wonderful feeders, and the friendship and information exchanged here are wonderful. Good night all.

Sue N.

o

Hi Sue, You can note that I sent to Remy and she received it. Thanks, Dottie

o

Dottie - Thanks for the info. Here is an updated status list. I don't know the status of packages sent/to be sent by Sue G., Remy and Melinda. Please post an update here. Thanks.

Melinda sends to Jennifer - status ???
Sue G. sends to Dottie - status ???
Dottie sends to Remy - received
Remy sends to Treasa - status ???

Stay warm everyone. The temps here have been in the single digits. The birds are really enjoying the suet cakes. I am so glad that we are all taking care of our little feathered friends. I am going to make some hot chocolate and curl up with my gardening catalogs. I am contemplating winter sowing this year, but I haven't been ambitious enough to start yet.

Sue N.

o

Sue N- I did receive my wonderful prize box..thank you so much for all the goodies.

You sent way too much....but I love it all. The Love the Earth calendar is much needed. I see the sunflower grey stripe, cosmos sensation purity and cleome rose queen are seeds from Remys Sample Seed Shop....thanks. Can't wait to see these beauties in bloom. I will always treasure my Nature's Gardens book. The pictures and landscaping ideas are excellent.

I will have to join all you who have not started your winter sowing as of yet. I just cannot get motivated on this. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get this done.

Dottie-I finally spotted a squirrel at one of my feeders today. Hannah is laying down on the job. LOL

Shirley

o

Ohhh, Shirley, you are doomed! Once they find it, they tell their friends and it's downhill from there! And Hannah will require treatment for depression! Insideous little beasts - but they are great fun to watch:)

o

Hi everyone. Hope you are all keeping warm. I have to admit, we haven't even really seen winter at its worse, but already I am sick and tired of snow. I am seriously considering moving somewhere where there is no snow. I can always come back to visit.

All the boxes are great. Love to hear what everyone has sent and the enthusiasm of the recipient. I agree Shirley, it's like Christmas.

Speaking of christmas. My tree is still alive and going strong. I put it outside in the stand, of course the water is frozen solid and under a foot or two of snow. We strung berries and oranges and nuts, pinecones slathered in peanut butter and then rolled in seed, all over the tree. The birds are going insane to say the least.

I haven't wintersowed a thing. i decided this year i'll just go out and sprinkle seeds everywhere. i was getting prepared but then we got hit with the first snow and then the next one and then the cold and then more snow...so i said the heck with it.

It sure is another cold one tonight. I think we are going down to about 9 degrees. guess i'll take that as opposed to minus any degree.

hoping i will be able to join in february's swap. love the simplicity of it, but then i can execute on that...that's what craps me up with swapping LOL just an issue i need to get over.

well, that's it for now. i have an early morning tomorrow.

be well everyone, stay warm and remember....Spring is on Monday, 21 March 2011...56 days, 19 hours remain.

maryanne

p.s. mellen, i would love that website/link as well.

o

Shirley - I'm glad you got the prize and that you will enjoy it. I really had fun hosting this month and look forward to hosting again in August for the ice cream social theme.

I am waiting to here on the status of the shipments from Melinda, Sue G. and Remy. Other than those three, I think everyone else received their packages. Please let me know if I left anybody out. It's getting late in the month so hopefully we will get things wrapped up for January soon.

Special thanks to all our bloomin friends for participating in this month's "For The Birds" bird feeder swap. I know our little feathered friends are grateful.

Stay warm everyone.

Sue N.

o
Status Update - Corrected

Here is a corrected updated status list. I'm sorry I didn't have all the info accurate in the last post. I think we are just waiting for a couple to be mailed out and others that are on ther way. Please post here once you receive. Thanks everyone.

Melinda sends to Jennifer - received
Sue G. sends to Dottie - will be sending shortly
Remy sends to Treasa - will be sending shortly

o

Happy Monday!

Sue~DC# 9101 1288 8230 0513 8010 56 for Faye's box shows it was delivered on the 21st.

later...April

o

Thanks for the update April. It's so cold in NE Ohio today they closed many schools. I hope everyone is staying warm. I have to run. I'm on my lunch break. Talk to you all later.

Here's our revised status update:

Melinda sends to Jennifer - received
April sends to Faye - received
Sue G. sends to Dottie - will be sending shortly
Remy sends to Treasa - will be sending shortly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here