Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rqeversole

NEW: Incredible Edibles Divide & Conquer Swap

rqeversole
12 years ago

January 2012 Incredible Edible Divide & Conquer (Commercial) Seed Swap

Ever wonder why those commercial seed companies put 50 seeds in a packet of Cherry Tomatoes or Habanero Peppers? Who are they kidding, no one really needs 50 Habanero plants. But, we all know we want to try all of those new varieties!! With the economy the way it is these days, we all need a little bit of help.

This seed Swap serves the purpose of "sharing" an order with a fellow swapper, so that you can try 2 varieties for the price of one! I understand some of the Incredible Edible members tried this swap in the past with poor results. I aim to keep things simple, and here is what is different in this swap:

1. No money will ever trade hands like in the past.

2. Seed Companies will not be matched up, only varieties. This will allow for

a more robust swap list.

3. Seeds will be mailed to the host (me), instead of to individual members.

This will save you a ton of hassle, and money from all that postage!

Here is how it works: You and I both want to try Baker Creeks new "Lightning Habanero" & "Old Yellow Candy Stripe Tomato". Neither one of us has a need for the entire pack, so I will buy the Lightning Habanero, and you will buy the tomato seeds. When we get our orders, we will split it, mail half to the host, and keep the other half for ourselves. Viola! 2 for the price of 1.

Step 1:

Take your time going through your catalog picking out the things you want to try for this year, but don't require an entire pack of. Make your list and post it to the "Divide & Conquer Window Shopping" thread.

~Only post items you are willing to share half of! This will be best for those items you are trying for the first time, rare varieties, or just plain interesting!

~NO SEED ORDERS FROM HEIRLOOM ACRE SEEDS!! I KNOW SOME OF US HAVE HAD OK RESULTS WITH THEM (AND I KNOW THEY ARE CHEAP), BUT THEY ARE VERY UNPREDICTABLE. SO, FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS SWAP....NO ORDERS FROM THEM!!

DEADLINE: Jan 8

Step 2:

Now is the time to go through everyone else's list to see what they are ordering. You just might find a hidden treasure that you would love, but wouldn't have otherwise found yourself! This is the time to really beef up your list so that there are more varieties that can be matched up, i.e. more varieties that you will get to try. If you have already made a seed purchase for the 2012 season, feel free to include those varieties which you would like to share. Please make sure they are fresh for the 2012 planting season, and that you still have half of the pack available to share! After you have finalized your purchase list, you will need to email it to me at roberteversole@gmail.com

DEADLINE: Jan 15

Step 3:

After I receive everyone's lists I will match them up, and then send you back a list of seeds for you to purchase for sharing.

YOUR LIST MAY NOT CONTAIN EVERYTHING YOU INITIALLY SUBMITTED, BUT RATHER EVERYTHING WHICH YOU ARE GOING TO PURCHASE TO SHARE, AND ALL OF THE SEEDS YOU ARE GOING TO RECEIVE FROM OTHER MEMBERS

If those 2 lists don't have everything you want, then you will need to purchase those just for yourself. At this point you need to:

Purchase your seeds, split your seed packets, & mail me the seeds.

With your package, you will need to include enough postage to get your seeds back to you. FOREVER STAMPS ONLY PLEASE (this saves me a trip to the P.O.)!! 4-5 stamps will be enough for just about anything, and postage which isn't needed will definitely be returned to you.

DEADLINE: Jan 31

Step 4:

I will go through all of the seeds and have your packages back out to you as soon as humanely possible! Once you receive your packages, you MUST come back to the Rate & Review Forum and leave feedback for the members from whom you received seeds (and your host lol). If everything goes smoothly, you will have your seeds in early February, just in time to get those transplants started!

REQUIREMENTS (restated from the details above):

~NO HEIRLOOM ACRES SEED ORDERS.

~NO SEEDS FROM 2011 THAT YOU DIDN'T GET AROUND TO USING.

~4-5 FOREVER STAMPS ONLY.

~BUBBLE ENVELOPES ONLY.

~MUST LEAVE FEEDBACK IN THE RATE & REVIEW FORUM.

~HAVE FUN!! color>

To sign up, please post your name, and very briefly what you are most likely to share. If you have any questions, feel free to post those as well!

~Robert

Comments (16)

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I suppose I will go first :-)
    My name is Robert, and I will be hosting this swap. I live in Zone 6, and will be swapping:
    Hot Peppers
    Sweet Peppers
    Tomatoes
    Melons
    Eggplant
    Beans
    I mostly purchase rare or new varieties (I save seeds from my favorites, so no need to purchase those). I also only swap Heirloom seeds...No hybrids here!

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I love the idea for this swap and hopefully will be back to join in. I need to decide if I need some seeds and what kind!

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome Sandlapper_rose! We hope you will decide to join us!

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I have been waiting to see if more people sign up. If not, this probably will not work like it should. That's too bad, but I will hope for more sign ups later. Robert has a great idea here!

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree! I think everyone is so caught up with Christmas and the SS swap that no one is really doing anything else right now.

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last call for interest before I cancel this swap. It would really be a nice swap, and I have received several emails expressing interest, but have yet to have anyone actually sign up....

• katkni
    12 years ago

I will be signing up, but just got back from Christmas, and haven't had a chance to look through my catalogs. The Santa swap kept me occupied up until I left for the holidays. I was really looking forward to this swap, and hope it will not be cancelled. Sign me up, and I will be making my list over the next few days.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I'm sorry. I am going to drop out. I am hostess for the Theme Garden Swap and that and some personal things will be keeping me pretty busy. I hope some more people sign up though so you can have the swap!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Hi Robert!

You may want to give the swap until your cut-off date of January 8th before cancelling. I don't think that there is a lack of interest. It's just that many of us are too busy during the holiday season to even think about seed orders yet. Today was the first day I've even had time to look through any seed catalogs, which is why I haven't signed up for this swap yet. I'm just not organized enough at this point to commit.

Bonnie

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Bonnie!

I agree, I was beginning to think it was just really bad timing, given the overwhelming interest in the SS swap. I think that people are just trying to take a break given the holidays, and the other swaps. I'm going to wait until the deadline of the 8th however.

Robert

• Zeak Rice
    12 years ago

OK. I'm in. Hope I get help in steering this buggy. This one is new to me but Robert is very patient. Thanx Robert.
    I agree with highalttransplant I want to see it go. I'll learn a lot.

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad I could help! I will definitely make this as easy as possible for everyone!

Robert

• katkni
    12 years ago

After looking at the seeds I have, my "edibles" order will be smaller than my herb & flower order. Am I able to list non-vegetable items?

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Herbs & edible flowers (borage, etc.) are more than welcome for this swap. However, since this is the Incredible Edible group, everything must be edible (though not necessarily vegetable). Hope you decide to join us!

• Zeak Rice
    12 years ago

I can SWAP Peppers, Squash, Parsnips, Snap Beans & Tomatoes.

• rqeversole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SEED SWAP CANCELLED

Due to a lack of interest (probably too many other things going on at the same time), I am canceling this swap. Thank you for those of you who expressed interest, and I am sorry we can't go through with it!

All the Best,
    Robert

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling