girlsgardener_2007.........6

spookycharles..............10

jaleeisa...................14

lysa39.....................19

dirtduchess................20

andreaz6wv.................29

ishareflowers..............31

If I missed anyone for this month please let me know

Rules...You do not have to send to every Bday, but you must send a minimum of 8 months ( One card per month) so we can make sure everyone will receive.

You MUST let me know when you are sending to someone..

You MUST check in on the thread on a regular basis.

You MUST have fun, share pictures when possible, and ENJOY your Birthday !

Please remember this IS a year committment...and If you dont follow thru, I WILL note it on the rate and review.

January Birthday Buddies, PLEASE post your wish lists..and let the CELEBRATION BEGIN !!!!!

Comments (150)

• dimples31312
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    I recieved 2 BD cards today!

One from Chell (chellflower) with cute little bee's on it.
    A beautiful sticker of a flower bud.
    datura-purple and white
    mexican bird of paradise
    milkweed
    yarrow-white

another from Toni (dirtdiggin) a pretty card with flowers.
    Purple Foxglove
    Yarrow-white
    Sweet autumn clematis
    wping mix (will have to look this one up)

On the 31st a got a card for Susan (taz56) She brought it to me!
    A beautiful card with flowers and a humming bird, Alone with her basket of seeds!
    She shared everything that she had that I didn't have!

Thanks for the cards and seeds!

Dorothy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

lol, I think it's lupine mix hehe my writing can be a bit difficult to read :) hehe good think I wrote down what I sent lol.

Happy B-Day Dorothy :)

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Dorothy,

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Can some one cut and paste for me?
    I did it the first time,but Kyms computer is down and she lost my info.
    I have been tring to remember how to do it, but i am getting VERY frustrated,even after re-reading your help,i am Not computer savy.

Question
    #1.no
    2.no
    3.no
    4.yes
    Birthday is November 8th
    Just1morehosta

Thank you so much,
    Carol

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

NP Carol, I will send it to Kym for you.
    Really it is easy, just left click with the mouse, highlight, then right click to cut, then right click to choose paste.

Think of it as driving a car, 1 left and 2 rights.
    You will get the rest when you practice it...just try practicing here, highlight what you wrote up there for someone to CCP and try to paste it in the message box...You can do it!

In the meantime I have copied your answers and will forward them to Kym.

:) Fran

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Really it is easy, just left click with the mouse, highlight, then right click to cut, then right click to choose paste.
    Think of it as driving a car, 1 left and 2 rights.
    You will get the rest when you practice it...just try practicing here, highlight what you wrote up there for someone to CCP and try to paste it in the message box...You can do it!

OK, i tryed it again,lets see if this worked.
    Carol

In the meantime I have copied your answers and will forward them to Kym.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Oh Fran,
    Thank you sooooooooooooo much,now, if i can just remember this.
    I appreciate your sending that off to Kym for me,i was about to loose my mind,and at my age, there is not a lot left to be loosing,lol
    Carol

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

YOU GOT IT!!! WOOOOHOOOOO, and if you are like me you don't have much mind to lose now adays....lol.
    All you have to remember is 1 left and two rights...write this down on a sticky note or something and put it near your computer! Put Copy, Cut, Paste instrustions and then you will have it!

:)Fran

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Hey Toni sorry about that. The L and u was close together.
    Looked like a w. My fault I can not read! LOL
    Dorothy

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

I wrote the instructions down,yes,on a sticky note,lol
    Thank you,
    I know some of this computer stuff is pretty basic, so i do appreciate your help,i just am notcomputer savey,BUT, I wanna be.Baby steps.
    Carol

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Carol,
    Glad I can help. You should have seen me when I first got my computer. I knew NOTHING about them, had never used on not even turning one on...NOTHING!
    I would sit and cry in front of it and scream at it and beat my keyboard. I threatened to throw it out the door...I HATED IT!
    I couldn't get it to do anything I really wanted too. I was like a manic trying to get it to work! It was awful, but I read and read and read and my kids helped me a lot too, if it had not been for them and all the reading and practice I put in I prolly wouldn't be using it now...LOL.
    They are NOT as easy as ppl say...hehe.
    If you need help with anything else just ask. I will try to help.

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Hi Fran,Hi Carol! I'm kind of in Carols' shoes right now. I know a few basics but I still don't know how to cut and paste either. I laughed when I read how you were when you first started using your computer. I actually was AFRAID of mine! lol Thought if I did something wrong I might see smoke start to come off of the wires... I was a mess. My nephews who are teenagers laughed at me and assured me I couldn't "blow up or set my computer on fire" by simply typing in something wrong or pressing wrong buttons! I felt so dumb but they were so sweet. Kids know so much about computers and electronic gadgets. They grew up with all this stuff so it is a piece of cake to them! Fran I remember crying and yelling at my computer too, telling it "I hate you stupid piece of #%&@! LOL I'm so glad you didn't throw yours out the door... too expensive. I may ask for your help as well. Thanks so much for being there for us!

Cindy : )

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

do't feel bad ladies, last year my daughter got "extra credit" for teaching me how to cut and paste...can you believe that?..

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Hi, i need all addresses for the Jan babies, hope it's ok to be a litle late for dimples! couldn;t find all of the names' want list posted, sorry y'll. Chris. 'll send you an email .chris

• carol57078
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Dorothy. Hope you had a wonderful day, Carol

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Chris I don't know where Kym is, I will go ahead an email you so you can get those cards addressed and ready to mail Monday :) Fran

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Did anybody ever get an address for lysa39?
    I think Kym is still having computer problems.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Sue it is believed that lysa39 maybe one of the ones without power on the west coast, she is supposed to be my swap partner in another swap and we haven't heard anything from her so no one has gotten her address yet.
    I hope we hear something from her soon, I hate to think part of our GW family is having some kind of disaster or devastation in their lives. Whatever it is that is keeping her away let's all keep her in our thoughts and prayers for a safe outcome and that whatever it is was nothing major or to worry about.

FINALLY, I sent out today cards for Dorothy, I am so sorry I had to wait to get Birthday cards, and a couple of other Jan. babies today!

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

I recieved two more BD cards todays!!!

Thanks to YI (wind-red) for the beautiful hand made card.
    Also sent MoneyPlant silver Dollar and Red Amaryllis.
    Thank you so very much!

Thanks to Cindy (alwaysagarden) another beautiful card with hollyhocks on it.
    Sent me Blackberry Lily and Chinese Lantern.
    The Chinese Lanterns will look great in my new flower bed I plan to start in the spring. With all types of Ornamentals!
    Thank you!

Thanks again to both of you!
    Dorothy

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Your welcome Dorothy! I hope you had a wonderful Birthday and have a garden full of gorgeous blooms this coming Spring/Summer!

Cindy

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fran, thanks so much for all your help !!

I want to thank you all for being so understanding, not a good time for the computers to have trouble !! and two of them, can ya beleive that ?? I have been checking once a day to make sure everything is ok....Ill be back in a few days.

carol, I have asked Fran to send you the addresses, I have NO info as of right now...it is on the computers. I also havent seen a list from spookycharles, has anyone heard from her ??

I hope all is well with Lysa....

Remember, we can send the cards ALL month, so they can enjoy the month of thier bday !!

Wishing you all well, and I miss being here !

Hugs

Kym

PS I still havent heard from several people !! When I get back I will do a mass email to make sure everyone is still "in" the swap.

• dirtduchess
    15 years ago

colcol,
    Did you get my e-mail that I sent to you anwering your questions about my geese and chickens? I hope so.

• colcol
    15 years ago

yes,dirtduchess, thank you so much! I started a reply then got waylaid by a wild wkend. Couldn't get the pics to downld on my computer tho. off to finish the reply.
    Also got my BD cards ready to go in tomorrows mail. :))
    I really must get my seeds organized... somehow!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I'm having the exact same dilemma... organizing my seeds WHEN they came in would have been SO much easier... now I'm doing mass sorting, labelling for my seed file box, alphabetizing, etc... etc...

I want to be able to quickly find stuff, and over the last 3 months that I've been trading, it's slowly gotten worse and worse... Now, I have a seed monster to attack.

I hope everyone is having a great birthday time this month and getting their wishes! I've got my special birthday stuff to send out, so I'll be ready for quite a few months, if not all year. I feel so much better prepared than I was for the Christmas cards. These may not be homemade, but they are here and ready. ;-)

Blessings,
    Angela

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

I received two cards Saturday! My apologies for not posting about them sooner and thanking you, but work has been nuts!

Receive from Yi (wind_red)a lovely handmade card with the words Happy Birthday done in Chinese! How wonderful is that?!Inside were Purple Beauty Bell Pepper and Yolo Wonder Bell Pepper (not a type, I found out!) I can't wait to try these!

The second was from Michelle (micyrey)another lovely handmade card! with hearts! Inside were Amaranthus- red leaves and flowers and Black eyed Susan! These are going to be wonderful in my garden!

Thanks so much to you both! This is going to be a wonderful birthday!

Kathy

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Morning everyone!
    Mailing out 4 cards today.
    Lucy sorry your will be alittle late, but its on the way.
    Hope everyone gets a whole month of Cards ;)
    Dorothy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Kym ~ I have lysa39's address from a swap end of last year, should I email it to you? Assuming she hasn't moved of course...Just lemme know if you need it.

Thanks,
    Wendy

• dirtduchess
    15 years ago

Dimples, girlgardening, spookycharles and jaleeisa...My birthday card to you will be a little late. My seed supply from my last years flowers is pretty pitiful. So I have ordered some seeds for the Birthday seed swap. They should be here in about a week. Just wanted you know that I haven't forgotten you. I have received a package of mixed zinnias and hollyhocks from chellflower. Loved that frog card. jaleeisia sent me Indian Spring hollyhock seeds, giant mixed morning glory seeds and buckshot canna seeds. I have never planted cannas from seeds before. Jaleeisia, how deep do I plant the canna seeds? What color are the flowers? How tall are the cannas? Loved your pretty flower card. Nikkeineel sent me yellow marigolds and heavenly blue morning glory seeds. Nikkineel daughter, Sarah Kate made me a birthday card and made up her own birthday song for me. Thanks Sarah Kate. You are really talented. Thanks again, chellflower, jaleesisia, nikkineel and her daughter. Birthday are fun!

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Hey Girlgardener!

{{gwi:1318874}}

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Lucy (girlsgardener-2007)
    Hope you have a wonderful Brithday 1-6
    {{gwi:452196}}
    Dorothy

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Today I got 6 cards. This is the best Birthday ever!!!

Thanks to Michelle (micyrey) for the beautiful hand made card.
    Belamcanda chinensis...got to look this one up, always like new things
    Merigolds "simba"
    Cleome
    Amaryllis "clown"
    Amaranthur...Something new looking forward to try it!

Thanks To Fran (ncgardengirl) A card with gifts and balloon.
    Columbine "magpie"
    Aquilegia "red star"

Thanks to Bonnie (highalttransplant) A pretty cards with flower pots.
    Columbine "yellow"
    Hey were you a Ga. girl! LOL Once a Ga. girl always a Ga. girl!

Thanks to Sue (suecirish) A card with lots and lots of cute Butterflies!!!
    Gerber daisy "royal"
    Crimson Clover!!! Yeah!!!

Thanks to Toni (Zinaray)A pretty card with flowers.
    Mix Clematis
    Datura Lilac Le Fleur
    Dailies hybrid
    I do not have Toni on my list of 64. Is there an updated list???? I sure do not want to miss anyone!!!

Yes Sarah Kate I love the song you made up!!!!
    Also love the card you took the time to make for me.
    Your AWSOME!!!
    Thanks Sarah Kate and Nikki (nikkineel)
    Bells of Ireland
    Columbine "bright Purple"

Thank You all for all the wonderful Cards and Seeds.
    Some are saying that they are sorry the cards are late.
    But that doesn't matter at all. It's great The they are still coming in.
    It makes it a truly special month!!!
    Thanks again,
    Dorothy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

I got my first two cards, one was from Jaleesia. It has flowers in vases all over the cover and a lovely handwritten note on the inside,she sent me purple millet,hollyhock,perilla,fried eggs. THANK YOU KATHY!!

The second was from nikkineel, it had a brand new package of chocolate daisy from T&M seeds. I can't wait to grow theses! I have to say though, the best part was the beautiful card!!! It was made by Sarah Kate and had a birthday wish,cake,candles and all!
    THANK YOU SARAH KATE AND NIKKI!

I just love mailboxing!

Lisa

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Lucy!!

Patricia, the buckshot canna usually a little smaller than most cannas. It gets to about 3 ft tall and has smaller blooms than most cannas and it's red. The leaves are green. You'll need to scarify those and soak them in water or a water/peroxide mix for about 24 hours unless you wintersow them. Wintersowing helps not need to scarify and soak because Mother Nature takes care of that by freezing and thawing and that loosens the "shell". I sowed mine about 1/4-1/2 inch deep. I just usually sow to a depth of about 2x the size of the seed as a rule of thumb except with really small seed which I just lightly press in. If you wintersow in pots or start it inside, I'd do the wintersow sometime about the early part of February and if inside you can do it now, but make sure you're allowing room for the seedlings to grow and you harden them off before planting out.

An interesting fact about these canna- the seed were used in Indian jewelry as spacers between smaller seeds. Seed and bone were used for jewelry well before they had access to beads. The seed was bored for jewelry making before the seed became ripe and hard. Then it was allowed to continue to ripen until it became the glossy black when ripe. It's also rumored that these seed were used in muskets during the war when lead(and hence ammunition) was in short supply. I think it's possible, and a few "scientists" have tested it and it can leave deep holes in 1/4 inch plywood when fired from a shotgun at 10 feet(they packed a shotgun shell with the seeds) and the seeds came out and seemed to not be damaged at all! I wouldn't recommend trying this, surely it would damage the barrel.

Hope you enjoy them!

I'm glad my cards are arriving! Lisa, you are very welcome! Has anyone heard anything from spookycharles? I was wondering if that card had arrived. And if someone could share lysa's address, I'd like to send her card out as well. I'm not sure what's going on with her and hope all is well and am keeping her in my prayers, but no matter what's happening, surely getting a birthday card with seeds can only make it better :)

Kathy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Kathy,

I sent a card to spookycharles and girlgardener, it was mailed the same day as yours. I hope they are okay.

Lisa

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Dorothy, you're close! I grew up in Tennessee, but you could walk to the Mississippi stateline from our house. That's the nice thing about the internet ... no one spotted my southern accent, LOL!

Bonnie

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I also need lysa's addy!

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Bonnie,
    Come on being from the south you should know southern girls DO NOT have accents!!!
    Everyone else does!!! LOL
    Bye Ya'll!
    Dorothy

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday girlsgardener_2007!! I hope it is a wonderful day for you!
    January Birthdays-I am behind as usual, but I haven't forgotten you!
    Melinda

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

girlsgardener_2007
    HOPE IT IS A
    GREAT DAY
    FOR YOU!!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I got two more cards today!! I'm like a two y/o right now!

The first was from suecirich, it has butterflies and lady bugs on it. It's really colorful and adorable! It had scarlet flax seeds and dames rocket. THANK YOU SUE! I love them both.

The other card was from Miceyrey, it's so cute! I think that she made it herself! It has a flower basket with flowers and leaves with butterflies. She sent me a 6 foot tall amaranthus with red plumes,looks pretty!verbana hastata,purple bee balm and last but not least brugmansia seeds! I looked them up and I believe they are pink with a green throat, my mom will love these!!!! If I can get them going maybe I can have some too! THANK YOU MICYREY.

Does anyone have a few tips on germinating the brugmansia seeds? I would love to get them going so I can give them to my mom around mothers day.

This is so much fun!
    Lisa

• girlgardener_2007
    15 years ago

Thanks NCgardengirl! Micyrey thanks for the nice card and seeds you send. Again thanks very much.
    girlgardener_2007

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Hey! Ima back!
    Now that i am not sick ima get back to trading! Happy Birthday to every1 that was born in January!! i cant wait till my BDAY! Sadly its in June, the 28th but i am 99% positive i wont be in the country starting in mid june to mid august i going on vacation woot!! So i wont be able to recieve seeds...I wish i could move my b-day...

Kamil

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTH DAY ALL YOU JANUARY GARDEN BUDDYS

and hello to everyone else. Just sat and did my Jan. cards a little late on some sorry. I'll get better. (ya right I'm a bad procrastinator- hate going to bank - hate getting gas etc. Sounds like you've gotten some good stuff so far. I started my WS last week. It is relaxing got about 20 done so far. Lot's more to do w/ all that mailboxing I did last month! lol

Take care-Annette

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Happy Birtday girlsgardener_2007!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday girlsgardener_2007!!!!! :-) I hope you have had a wonderful day!

Dimples I emailed you lysa39's addy. plmk if you didn't get it. I'mma GA gal too, glad to see some other southern twang in here! lol

Hugs,
    Wendy

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Happy birthday gg! I hope you've had a wonderful day! I'm happy to hear that some of my envelopes have found their homes! Happy gardening! Nikki

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Hey Wendy,
    I got it, Thanks a lot.
    Looks like we have a few peaches and the group! LOL
    Dorothy

15 years ago

Kamil - I sure don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but I'm assuming if December babies can move to June, if they want, that you could move up one month and receive before your actual birth month since you won't be in the country that month.

It sounds like you're going to have an awesome birthday/vacation time this summer, huh? :-D

If I'm wrong, Kym, please let me know. Fran, do you think I'm pretty close to hitting the nail on the head on this one?

Blessings,
    Angela

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I was thinking we could send to him the first part of June BEFORE he leaves...that would work too.

He won't be able to plant anyway since he is going on vacation.

I hope Kym gets back SOON!!!!

15 years ago

This thread is now full, please, follow the link below to continue with Birthday swap discussions for January!

Blessings,
    Angela