Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ishareflowers

2012 commercial seed swap

COMMERCIAL SEEDS ONLY!

Since these will be commercial seeds, you will probably get 1/2 trades but it will allow you to try some of the newer varieties of seeds. Please don't send in anything older than 2009.

PLEASE DO NOT send the .10,.25 or .59 cent packs from the dollar general type stores. If these types are sent they will not count towards your total number sent! They will be returned to you. We must be fair!

Flowers and veggies are fine, last year we did both and it worked out.

( There is no minimum on the number of packs you can send)

Here are the rules...

1. Must be commercial seeds

2. your packages must be labeled with year and where purchased if not in original packaging.

3. No more than 5 packs of the same type of seed (please don't make 5 packets of the same seed with 5 seeds in each package, we need to be fair)

4. Must be mailed by March 1st. I will send my addy as people sign up, you can mail whenever you are ready to do so.

5. seeds will be returned within one week from the last package that I receive.

6. Please have a current wants list for me to check when sorting. (last year I sent garden seeds if they were on someones wants list BUT did not count them towards my contribution to the swap!)

7. sign ups are until the mail date...The more the merrier!

8. Have fun, life is short!

When mailing seeds, please be sure to put the same amount of postage that it cost you to mail PLUS.80 for delivery conf.# (two years ago a package was lost and had no conf #). I replaced it with my own stash that time. If you prefer to not pay for a conf#,that if okay too but I won't be replacing seeds this year....I am cleaning out the seed boxes for the swap!

I mail from the post office so stamps or cash is fine, change will be returned with your seeds!

I have started to update my haves list for the swap, it will take a while but I will get there.

Have a great day!

Lisa/ishare

Comments (148)

• Christine00
    12 years ago

I mailed my seeds

• clc70
    12 years ago

My guess is 92

• weebay
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I would like to jump in and join this swap. I have just started ordering my seeds this year. And now that I have seen how much I am ordering I feel confident I will have enough to share ;)

I told myself I wasn't going to order that many this year, but I lied.

So if the send in Date is still March 1st, then please count me in.
    Thanks!
    weebay

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome Weebay...March,1st is fine but no later please...Are you going to take a guess in the game???

I'll wait until late tomorrow to post the winner, this will give people who only visit on the weekends a chance to guess..

I have quite a few annuals here so feel free to add annuals,new for 2012 and old favorites to your wants list.

Lisa

• weebay
    12 years ago

Hi, Great, thanks for including me. I'll get my package sent as soon as my new seeds arrive.

I'll take a guess of 97.

(and I'll update my wants list this weekend)

-weebay

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello All,

Christine, I got your seeds in on Saturday.

We have a winner in the guessing game, WEEBAY! I had 99 packets of seeds on the table.

I had ordered something from everyones want list but that was before you joined in. I'm pretty sure I can come up with something for you! I'll check your list and post another time.

Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Today I managed to get my seeds in the drop box, so they should be on their way tomorrow.
    Alana

• weebay
    12 years ago

Wow! So glad I joined, what fun. Thanks a bunch. This swap is already lifting my spirits.

-weebay

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Lisa~My package went out to you today; expected delivery Feb. 1st. If you'd like the tracking number just let me know.~Janine

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Lisa...Happy...Happy Birthday!! Enjoy your special day!!
    I'll be getting my seeds off to you this week or next!!

Thanks much!!

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning All!

Annie, Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Weebay, after looking through your wants list, I have decided that the prize for you will be erysimum hieraciifolium aka cherianthus allonii. It is very close in size and color to the erysimum on your wants list.

I haven't gotten in any seeds but I am expecting poisondart and jaynine's today.

I'll post when I have them in hand.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got in two packages today.

Alana, I got your package in and I have to say I looked through quickly and don't know what half of these are...This is a good thing ,some unusuals are in!!

Jaynine, I'm scared! You sent so many great selections that I don't know how I will send you anything that you don't have!!!

I have to go with my husband today and pick up his new tv. I should have know all that encouragement to order all the seeds I wanted was for a reason....lol

I'll be playing with the seeds for the swap tonight and will be posting another guessing game. This one will be for how many packets of seeds are here already!

Feel free to post guesses. I will post the winner and the prize after a few days to give everyone a chance at guessing.

Lisa

• weebay
    12 years ago

Hi,
    ooh, Great pick, thanks! Looking forward to growing it, feels like spring is already here today.

-weebay

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning All!

I'm sorry I didn't post any numbers last night, my neck is bothering me and I can't sit and count right now. I willpost asap!

Alana, I forgot to mention that when your envy came yesterday, the post office never cancelled out your stamps :). I know that you enclosed any envy to use to mail back to you but if I use the one that you sent in, I can send your postage $$ back..Let me know.

Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Whatever works for you Lisa-it will be fine either way.

• primrose1x3
    12 years ago

Hi, I would love to join if it's not too late. I could send seeds in next week :)

primrose

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Primrose,

Of course you can join, The more the merrier and the better selection of seeds for all!

I have been playing with Jaynines seeds for a good portion of this evening, pretty sure she had several from EVERY wants list!!!

Jaynine, you need to stop seed shopping too!

NO GUESSES on how many seed packets are here to date????

I'm heading off to bed, I will email you primrose with mailing info in the morning.

HAve a great night

Lisa

• Christine00
    12 years ago

I guess 2,560 packs

• snapdragon36
    12 years ago

Please sign me up.
    Thank you Debbie

• sjc48
    12 years ago

My guess is 1,998!

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

2,012 seeds

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

I will guess 2228.....

I'm still wondering where Janine gets her seeds!!!

Annie

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

My guess is that there are 2,297 packets of seeds sitting at your house to do something with. Wow! that sounds like a big big job. Have a great weekend everyone!

Ellie

• jaynine
    12 years ago

My guess is 777.
    Annie~every year I get seeds from JL Hudson, Heirloom Acres and Select Seeds; I also occasionally order from Geo, The Fragrant Path, Le Jardin du Gourmet, Secret Seeds, Seedhunt, Sample Seeds, MySeedNeeds, T&M (sale only!) and Totally Tomatoes. This year I placed additional orders with Shumway, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and Fedco. No self control....

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    12 years ago

My guess is 1500.

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Janine,

You mentioned a few places I have never checked out.
    No self control....your not kidding...LOL!

Thanks much!

Annie

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Self control is a little hard; if they wouldn't show pictures of the flowers, I might be okay, maybe, well, that doesn't work, because I order from EasyWildFlowers and that site doesn't show pics. Shoots that theory out of the water, doesn't it!?
    I try to buy from companies that give you lots of seeds for the buck, like Richter's Herbs, Swallowtail, Diane's. This year I ordered my pansies from Harris Seeds-LOTS of seeds! Prairie Moon is another good site, lots of seeds that are good butterfly host/nectar seeds!
    Shirley!

• DayjillyMO
    12 years ago

Hi all, is it too late to join your 2012 Commercial Seed Swap? I've read through a few of the posts, and it sounds like a fun time. Let me know if you have room for me for this year, if not - I'll try to find you for next year. :)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Daylily, welcome aboard! Would you like to take a guess at the number of packets here so far?? I will email you with mailing info in the morning.

I have 13 envelopes here so far, I hope at least a few will be mailing this week. There are 20 more players to get seeds to me and if they all come at once, I think I'll pull my own hair out...lol

I'll post the winner of the game and a prize at some point tomorrow.

Have a good night

Lisa

• roper2008
    12 years ago

My guess is 921.

• DayjillyMO
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me in. My guess is 800.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello All,

I think I will wait one more day to post the numbers for the game. We haven't had many guesses and I would like to give more players a chance at winning.

Annie, While scrolling wants lists for the hundreth time, I noticed that indian cress nasties are not even on your wants list....lol I replaced them with feverfew virgo that I got from select seeds for the office I work at...

I'm waiting on a few people to post a wants list for me....at this time in the swap, I am pretty much memorizing wants lists and packing the envies with seeds as they come in or as I am packing up my own seeds. I have bags with every players name on it and a few are empty!!!

Have a good night

Lisa

• susaninosceolamo
    12 years ago

Hello! New to gardening and really new to the swapping idea AND love it! Can I still join up? I am a newbie but bought a bunch of seeds from Baker Seed, Johnny's Seeds, Harris, etc., and would love to trade my "extras." This is wonderful!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Susan, Welcome to the swap. I sent you an email with my addy and the rules.

Jaynine, I order seeds from swallowtail, pinetree, summerhill, T&M, Parks,tradewinds, stokes and Hazzards. I love the pictures! I also order occasionally from gardens north, hudson, chiltern and ebay. We are both seed crazy but order from mostly different places!

WE HAVE A WINNER IN THE GUESSING GAME!!!JAYNINE with a guess of 770 wins. I actually have 792 packets of seeds here from the envies that have been sent in so far, 1/3 or more are yours! The prize that will be in your envy on the ride home is RHEUM VICTORIA. I ordered these from ebay when I saw them on your list, I hope they grow well for you!

We have 32 players in the swap and I only have 11 envies here. I try to memorize lists but I still scour my printed wants lists for matches when each envy comes in, this takes a LONG time. I'm hoping some will be mailing in soon and not waiting till the end. ...I wanted to have seeds out to everyone by the first week in March and this will be nearly impossible IF they all come in in the last week of February. I know that some are waiting on seed orders but if you are not, Please send soon!

Have a great day

Lisa

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Yay! I actually ordered 'Victoria' rhubarb from Shumway and it was unavailable, so....thank you so much!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Lisa, Nasties Indian Cress OR Feverfew Virgo are great!!! I am happy with what I receive!! I think I will put my seeds in the mail tomorrow, so not to hold you up. I was hoping some stuff would arrive here but....not yet.

You and Janine posted some seed sites I have never heard of. Thanks to both of you for listing them.

OH and Lisa...my Tweedia is so HAPPY! Thanks!

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi There Annie, I'm so happy to hear the tweedia is doing well. I traded for those knowing they were not any good for my zone but knew I could send them to my California garden friend when it got too cold here! I hope to get a photo and maybe some seeds from you when you finally get blooms!

Please don't send seeds if you are waiting on some to send in. I only posted so that if someone had all of their seeds in house and were waiting to mail that they would mail sooner than later.

Janine, I'm thrilled to have been able to find something that you really wanted!

I would also like to mention again that this is a COMMERCIAL ONLY SEED SWAP. What is considered commercial seed??? It's seeds that you bought by mail order or in a retail store "not dollar store cheapies>.

WHAT IS NOT CONSIDERED COMMERCIAL SEED? SEEDS THAT HAVE BEEN GROWN FROM A COMMERCIAL PACKET AND GATHERED. These are now considered from your garden and have the potential to not come true!!!

THE SEEDS THAT ARE SENT INTO ME SHOULD BE WHAT YOU DIDN"T USE FROM YOUR ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL PACKET THAT YOU PURCHASED!

Thank you and as always, I wish you a good night.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Susan, I sent you an email with details for the swap ut it got sent Back as undeliverable. Please send me an email and I will respond....

Lisa

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Lisa ~ yes....lol. Of course I'm still 'in'! :) I've been slowly packing. The due date is by March 1st still, isn't it? That's what I'd had written down. Just have a LOT going on this month so I can't be the social butterfly I'd like to be :) But I'm still in! :)

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    12 years ago

Hi Lisa!

I mailed my package to you today. The delivery confirmation number is: 0311 2550 0001 2119 9642.
    Thanks again for all of your hard work on this swap!

LisaM627

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Morning,

Sassy, I'm glad to hear that your still in.

Lisa, Thank you, I'll e watching for your package.

Annie, I'm sure that you needed another set of seed sites to shop from!

I got bored yesterday and had been given a free shipping slip from stokes seeds with my last order. So, I had my coffee and guess what I did??? Yup, I placed another order for seeds! I spent another $83 for seeds that I have nowhere to plant!

Am I the only one who does this " I know you do Jaynine>??? I really think I need an intervention! My Husband says " do you want me to hold your debit card" HA! like I don't have those numbers memorized.

Have a great day

Lisa

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

I also received my 2 huge orders yesterday and stayed up late last night looking through them. So while having coffee this morning I went through again and sorted what I was going to winter sow this weekend and maybe some things to start in the greenhouse. Most are perennials but lots of annuals also. Although those shelves are filled with marigolds that are blooming. These were old old seeds. It was more of an expirement for me and couldn't believe it when they actually came up. I may think twice about throwing older seeds away until I have tried to plant them. So far we haven't had much winter so am getting anxious about starting to garden. Have a wonderful Friday everyone.

Ellie

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Lisa,

Seeds went out early Thursday morning. There are so many things that many men simply do not get!!! Seeds and money are two of them!!! I love men but.........LOL!

Have a great weekend!

Annie

• nana8
    12 years ago

Is there still time to get into this swap? I work better under pressure, and would love to join. The seeds are still on my kitchen table from my winter sowing project.

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hey all!
    Just checking in. I have 1 more order of seeds to come in, and then I'm ready to mail :)

Have a great weekend!
    vina

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Lisa,
    You are too funny...and you're right, I do the same thing. I already have way more than I can handle (perhaps) and I'm constantly perusing online catalogs and researching seed varieties. When will the madness end?!
    Have good weekend everyone.
    Janine

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning All!

I was scrolling through the new sign ups wants lists this morning and realized that I made a mistake in the guessing game winner,,,,oooopppppsss!

DAYLILY, you actually had the number closest to what was actually here for seeds from members.. I will put a packet of 5 spot from your wants list in your envy for the prize.

Jaynine, now you know one of my surprises for you! lol

I did some more thinning of my own seeds last night, I managed to let go of about 50 more packets.

Back to trying to find matches.

Have a good day!

Lisa

• ricknhsv
    12 years ago

I'd like to join! I have a veggie seeds to share.

Rick

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OKAY, so we have 34 players in the swap as of today....I have 11 envies here and 23 to come in within the next 17 days.......I hate to be a kill joy but I am going to close sign-ups.

THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED AND NOT ACCEPTING NEW PLAYERS!

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please post messages to the new thread.

Lisa