Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy547

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap... December check-in!!

Kathy Johnson
18 years ago

Well, we've come to the end of the swap! Thanks to everyone who joined this swap. Thank you to everyone who mailed their end each month or let me know if they were going to be late, anyone who sent a "make up" box or volunteered too, anyone who received from their pal & posted on that month's thread, etc. Hopefully, one of you will want to start one in 2006. I don't think I'd go past October though! LOL!

Also, either tell your pal who you are when you mail December or email them. I'm thinking in a week or so I'll post a list of everyone's pals but want to give everyone a chance to tell their pal themselves first. Also, I've suggested you all mail to your pal within the first 2 weeks of the month. However, I realize some of you may not be able too. Just send me an email so I'll have a heads up & can let your pal know.

Comments (40)

• zoegurl2001
    18 years ago

I was so excited when I came home today, to see a package from my pal waiting for me!
    Rebecca, thank you so much for the lovely garden gifts. The garden planner journal is beautiful, and I really needed something like that, too. I have only been flower gardening for a couple of years now, and this planner will really help me get things more organized, and help me to plan ahead better. And the little "garden sweeties" rub-ons are just so cute, I love the pictures. Now I have to decide what to put them on, which is the hard part, hehe. And the old-spice scented geranium cuttings I think are so neat, I just LOVE scented geraniums!! And I didn't have this kind yet, so thank you! They arrived just fine, I know you were worried that they wouldn't get here in good shape, but they look good! I think they should take root with no problems. And the little angel mousy card is adorable, and thank you so much for sending me a picture of you. This was my first round robin, so I will save the pic and always remember you as my first secret pal. You look young like I am, so it's nice to see another younger person who enjoys gardening. If this was your first round robin, I really hope you have enjoyed it and gotten the hang of it, and that you will enjoy being in many more to come! Well, it seems like this swap has just barely started for me, since I didn't join in until October, and now it's over already. I hope everyone is having a great beginning to their holiday season.
    And to my pal, I sent your package out in the mail today, so it should be arriving there in California in a few days. I revealed my identity in it, so you shall know who I am, if you haven't already figured it out, that is. I have really had fun being your pal and spoiling you these past 3 months!

~Summer

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

I feel good, I got my Pal's December gift box out in the mail today!!! It's been a fun year, that to me has gone by soooo fast, I actually can't believe it's the end of 2005 and the end of our Secret Pal Swap.

Pal I hope you enjoy this months gifts. It's been fun picking things out for you. A lot of times when shopping and I saw something I liked, I would buy two, one for you and one for me. I thought hey, if it's something to do with gardening and I like it, why wouldn't my Pal like it too. I too, revealed my identity in the box, heck it's on the return label!! Finally could send from myself and not use your address as the return address. I wonder what the differnet postal employees think when they see a return address the same as the to. Oh well, I am sure they figure it out, or just don't care.

Just because the swap is over I hope that this is not the end of our friendship and hope to continue to chat. Ya never know, I might see something someday and it will land on your doorstep when your least expecting it!

Take Care and keep in touch!
    Sandy

• crazy4hydrangea
    18 years ago

I have send to my pal for the month of December. There has been alot of confusion and this will actually be our first swap. I hope she enjoys my package.

• dawiff
    18 years ago

My final Secret Pal package arrived in yesterday's mail, and I just wanted to say a big thank you to my Secret Pal ggwrn, aka Ginger, for all the wonderful presents she sent me this year. She put her return address on the package this time and signed the card inside.

In my final package I got a Christmas cactus cutting, which has been dipped in rooting hormone and is now sitting in a cup of potting soil, hope it survives, it sounds like it has a very pretty flower, fuschia-colored according to Ginger. Also an amaryllis bulb, which I have never grown before. I've seen them in catalogs all the time, and have never gotten around to buying one for myself. Well, now I have one, I hope it grows well too. There was also a bird feeder, a big package of ziploc seed bags, and a bag of -- oh shoot, I forget what they're called -- those little freeze-dried bags of soil starter that you add water too and they puff up. And the best of all, a wonderful book from the American Horitcultural Society, Plants For Every Season. It's organized according to when plants flower and their color. What a great book, I've been poring over it since it came!

Ginger, thank you so much for the great year. I hope you have a very merry Christmas!

I haven't sent my last package out yet, but I will do it on Monday first thing. I may have to send it Priority Mail so it will arrive by Christmas.

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I am behind this month, hope to get my pkg out first of the week hang in there pal-o-mine
    carol

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Just wanted to let my secret pal know a package is going out on Monday!! I have so enjoyed being your secret pal but must say it wasn't look enough!!! Hope to keep in touch! I wrote a note to let you know who I am.

At the start of this swap I was a secret pal to Cassie and I had another pal who dropped out in the first month!!
    I admire us that stayed in this swap for the long haul!! To me it is more fun that way!!

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

A big warm thanks goes out to my Special Secret Pal!! and her name is Beckster from CA!! You have been a wonderful pal to me. I thank you for staying in the swap for the year. I have so enjoyed hearing from you each month. I truly appreciate the time and thought you put into the packages you sent!! You did a wonderful job!! I hope to see you around on GW and keep in touch!! Oh I almost forgot I did receive a package which included a fun planter, shower gel, adorable picture frame, memo pad ! Thanks again for all that you have done for me. I wish you a Happy Holiday Season to you and your family!

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Smiles go out to my pal, Windsurfgirl (Lynn) who I just received my December package from. A BIG thanks to you for all the wonderful packages throughout the year. I have enjoyed them all!! If I could hug you through the forum I would be giving you a big hug right now!!!

In my package today was a wonderful Audubon, Engagement Calendar. The pictures are breathtaking! Also a very nice assortment of seed packets! I've been wanting an assortment of 4 O'clocks, especially yellow and now I have them!! I love the "lady bug" bookmarks. They will come in handy as I page through my flower books.

Yes, send me the link to your internet pics, I would love to see where my plants have come from. Also send your MSN link, I would love to join in on your fun there.

Keep in touch and a BIG wish for many blooms for years to come and much success in all you do.

Take care
    Your GW friend Sandy

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I just received my last package for December from my secret pal.. Rudybacon Aka, Kathy from Texas.
    Kathy, I can't thank you enough for seeing this exchange through to the end. You never missed a month, and I am very impressed with your punctuality. You always had nice things tucked inside the box... all picked out with me in mind.
    In this month's box were some extra special things....
    A box of chocolate covered cherries ( which are half gone already), three soaps in a box, 2 honey-bear pot holders,
    a tin with lots of stationary and address book, and a pretty little wire xmas ornament which I will put on my tree this year and think of your generousity and friendship.
    Thank you again for being my secret pal. You did a great job and you made it fun for me.
    Happy Holidays and best wishes for a healthy and Happy New Year.
    Bonnie ( gardnwatch)

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

I am sending my package tomorrow (monday) by fedex ground. I am sure Kathleen will get it in time.

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

I am sending my package tomorrow (monday) by fedex ground. I am sure Kathleen will get it in time.

• nitenut
    18 years ago

I will be sending out to my pal this week. I tend to be one of those late starters :)

• crazy4hydrangea
    18 years ago

I received from a new pal yesturday gardenwatch (Bonnie) I received a dish towel and candle scent burner and some exfoliating gloves in a pretty blue color. There was a nice letter inside. This is the first letter I have received with a package from a pal and I looked forward to reading it. Thank you gardenwatch.

• becksterca
    18 years ago

I'd like to thank Summer for the great surprises she sent for the last three months! I was really lucky to have two great pals during this swap.
    My box for December included a Ladies Home Journal magazine...something I would never think to get for myself but soooo fun to browse through when taking a break! Thank You! A cross-stitch kit, some toys for my kitties, A darling ornament..it was the first one on the tree!, A journal, coupon organizer, holiday book, jelly, candy, A Christmas candle and some beautiful daff bulbs...all in one box....Just like Christmas!!!

Thanks so much to both of my Pals...Kim for most of the year and Summer for the last three months.

You're both great!

Becky

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I sent my Secret Pal her December package today.
    It should get there for xmas......
    Happy Holidays

Bonnie

• nitenut
    18 years ago

I have had such a wonderful secret pal!!!
    I happened to be mailing out my pal's package when I also had one to pick up. Inside stuffed to the max was a little bit of everything....many of which have been taken by thie kiddo's. Bulbs, bulbs and more bulbs come this spring I shall have a house full of daffy blooms...love them such a cheery flower. Earrings,jewelry box, stuffed bear, garden gloves, and some great smelling bath and lotion goodies thanks so much Carol!! (wish I could hug you now).This has been such a wonderful year. Everything has been very appreciated. Thanks to for thinking of me when you sent out your Christmas cards, very thoughtful, me I'm lucky if I get it together enough to get cards out to relatives. Thank you again and thanks to Kathy as well for keeping this going.......Leah

• Lynn
    18 years ago

I got a nice envelope full of seeds from my pal today for my November package. There were alot of unusual things I've never grown before.
    I also got a big box full of all kinds of Christmas goodies. I got a cute stuffed white bear, several christmas ornaments and decorations, and a lovely set of bath items. Thanks for the letter pal letting me know what was going on in your life. I hope things get better for you and your family and you have a very Merry Christmas! Thanks for all the gifts you have sent over the last months.

WindsurfGirl

• bekados
    18 years ago

Thanks, Jan, for the Christmas package. We love windchimes. Merry Christmas to you!
    Becca

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Glad you liked your pkg Leah, it has been fun being your pal, you always post a nice thankyou. This made it a pleasure to be your pal. I will miss sending to you next year. thankyou Kathy for a great swap. I am waiting on my pal for this month.

• rudybacon
    18 years ago

HI, I received a beautiful blue t-shirt and the prettiest Keepsake ornament. Thank you so much secret pal, Leslie. I have enjoyed receiving all the great things you've sent during the year.

Kathy

• darlene87
    18 years ago

I received a lovely box today from my secret pal, Alison, or DaWiff. There is so much to list, and it is hard to keep some as not favorites. Three boxes of tea, which she knows I love, a sweet lovely green teapot, and I had just been looking at small teapots! Can't forget: the lots of tissue paper! Got to find out her source. A teapot spoon rest, almost too pretty to use. A kitty tree oranament, appropiate, since God just sent us a older stray Siberian cat to live with us. Four lovely flower pins, which I love, as pins are the only jewelry I use. Four cat books which will keep me going thru the winter reading. A real lovely plaque which fits my needs very well. Some flower seeds and a package of bookplates, which I keep meaning to buy, but always put off doing so. The teas will go great while I read my cat books! Thank you secret pal for everything that you have sent and all the thought that you have put into it and all the lovely tissue paper. Guess the tissue is your gag gift in each box. I will write to you privately as soon as life settles down.
    Darlene

• diene
    18 years ago

Hello All;
    I received a box from my pal and she really outdid herself. I wish I knew how to post pictures but I do not so I cannot share what she sent visually. What I will tell you is that aside from the huge candy bar, tin of cookies and homemade shiraz wine jam, I received at least a half dozen unique Christmas ornamants, some are wooden and some are ceramic. That seems like a tremendous amount of stuff but then add the wooden snowman figure and the beautiful wooden rocking horse that is at least eighteen inches long and high. I have a stuffed Santa that is riding it at present moment. Then there were the beautiful cards that made it all the more special. I did have the best pal. Thanks Vicki, I will keep in touch with you if that is okay with you. What a wonderful way to make a new friend. Thanks. diene

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's who I don't have marked off as receiving so far:

Kathy547 - not worried since pal sent so much last month
    Ggwrn
    Veeja11
    Everafter
    Booster1
    Garden Hits
    Lbmoore
    Abitodd
    Leann2800
    Outapatience

• lbmoore
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness, Leah you are THE BEST PAL! Thank you for the holiday wreath. It is absolutely gorgeous and smells so wonderful. Also, thank you for the other gifts that were enclosed. The santas are a great addition to my collection.

My tree is up and the stained glass ornaments you sent last year look terrific on it. Also, the snowman and santa you sent last year are sitting on my mantle.

I have really enjoyed this secret pal swap and it was because of you and all of your thoughtfulness throughout the year. I've had some rough times and more than once when I was having a real crappy day, I would come home and your package would be there to brighten my day. My husband and son started looking forward to seeing them also. One day they arrived home before I did. When I got home my package was already open, my son had ate some of my chocolates you had sent. Well let's just say this...they never opened a package before I got home again! LOL!

Once again from the bottom of my heart....THANK YOU and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

VEEJA....yours is on its way.

Lisa Moore

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

I'm a little worried that my pal I send/sent to hasn't responded that she has received her Dec gift package. I sent it out on the 7th of December.

Pal are you out there?

Sandy

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm posting while I have the chance (it sucks when you work 7 days a week...although, 3 of those days are 1/2 days). Just wanted to remind everyone that mail may get backed up with Christmas so if someone doesn't receive their end before Christmas, it may be a day or two after Christmas. This swap officially wraps up December 31st (thank God! Just kidding!). The college library will close at some point I think for the break so I may be even more irregular with posts & email. Just be patient & I'll get back with you as soon as possible. I hope to get another computer in a few months & won't have to worry about going somewhere for internet access. Ya'll have a Merry Christmas!
    Kathy

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Wow, I have the most wonderful pal, she has come thru a whole year, now what a wonderful christmas pkg. fudge, peanut butter bars, a votive holder snowman, 4 small candles in a crate, a suet bird feeder with suet, some ghirardelli choclate squares,hyacinth bulb forcing kit a mini photo album, freesia,glad bulbs, a calendarw/a matching planner, a nice card, hope I rembered everything LBMoore you have been a wonderful pal,a whole year never missing a month here is a picture of my christmas goodies. Thankyou Lisa hugs carol

• lbmoore
    18 years ago

I want to take a moment to send some heartfelt THANK YOU'S.

First, THANK YOU Kathy for hosting this swap, you have done a wonderful job. It is a lot of work for anyone and I admire all the people who hosts swaps so that us others can participate and have fun.

Second, THANK YOU Leah (Nitenut) for all the packages you sent me, never missing a month and always brightening my day. So much time and thought was put into every package I recvd and I have things all around my home to remind me of you and how lucky I was to have you as a pal. Once spring rolls around here I will have some beautiful plants also.

Third, THANK YOU Carol (Veeja11), for always appreciating every thing I sent and for posting generous thank you's. Knowing your efforts are appreciated is a very important element in this kind of a swap. Its what makes a sender look forward to putting together another package to be mailed the next month.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Lisa Moore

• veeja11
    18 years ago

For some reason my picture didn't post. funny My pal was nitenut. Thankyou Leah for always posting such gracious thankyous. Lisa did you re use a box from Leah? I think i may have sent her the one with the kittens all over it. I wondered how you got that box. This has been a wonderful swap Thankyou Kathy for organizing and keeping this running so smoothly. hope this picture works hugs carol{{gwi:1319080}}my wonderful pkg from Lisa

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

Nothing Yet for Dec... I am sure it must be on its way by now
    vicki

• leann2800
    18 years ago

Vicki,

Your package was sent a few days ago. I am sorry I was unable to send early in the month. I have been busy and I am paid at the end of the month. I have had a child who has been sick for about two months and now my ds has been having heart problems. Juggling the sleepless nights with work, school ,and other household traumas has been a bit hectic.

I hope you enjoy the contents of your package.
    The tracking number is 0305 0830 0004 1322 8683.

Sorry for the short note but their is a much longer one in your box.

Happy Holidays.
    Leann

• leann2800
    18 years ago

Hi Darlene!

I did receive your package. The Almond Roca you sent has already been consumed. That stuff is so good. The kids have eaten their candy too.

I haven't had a chance to use the Xyron sticker maker yet. But, I just got off for the holidays. So,perhaps we'll get time to figure it out and play.

I put the herb garden light in my sunroom. Its not so sunny this time of year though. That light might be the brightest thing out there.

I put on my fluffy socks and read my Birds and Blooms right away. I love those fluffy socks. They are so soft!

The envelopes and photo album will come in handy. I have more people to take pictures of now.

Please take care of yourself and have a wonderful holiday. I have enjoyed having you as a Secret Pal. I do hope we can continue to correspond and keep intouch now that the swap has ended.

The whole family would like to thank you for all you've done for us.

Merry Christmas,

Leann

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

Julie, ( crazy4hydrangea)
    Have you gotten your December package?
    I sent it out on December 17th.

Bonnie

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

I received a package from Leann the other night. It was delivered about 8:00 pm can you believe it. I am glad I am not a postal worker ; )

Leann, you are such a special pal. And boy did you go overboard. Bath goodies including bath bombs, oil beads, eye mask. Plant stakes, several gem ornament kits, and a cross stitch kit, mosiac glass, a journal book, and the list goes on. Thank you so much for being my secret pal this year. I am so happy you were able to get more children this year. Al an I have wanted to adopt, but could not afford the fees. As the infertility clinic took all the extra cash we had with no results. I hope you have a great 2006. And thank you again for being my secret pal.

Vicki

PS Kathy you are great for putting up with all of us. Thank you so much for hosting this great swap.

• leann2800
    18 years ago

Vicki,

I enjoyed being your secret pal.I'm glad you liked you package. I sent you an email.

Kathy,

Thanks for hosting this swap.

Leann

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

Julie ( crazy4hydrangea)..
    I haven't heard yet that you got your December package that I sent on the 17th. I think it should have arrived.
    I am going to send another one to replace it.
    I'm so sorry for the trouble....I sent another pal an envelope the same day and she says she hasn't received it yet either.
    If by any chance you got it but havent found the time to post here that you did....it is not too late. I just want to make sure you get what you are due, my friend.
    Bonnie

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, I'm back after having the last 2 weeks being really hectic work-wise, & then I got sick for a week. I had an email from Tammy's (Outapatience) husband, who says she was in an accident & was in ICU but is doing better.

I have everyone marked off as having received except for Ggwrn, Everafter, & Booster1. Ggwrn is the secret pal I send to so I will apologize now for being so late (see reasons above). Because of New Year's & Christmas, I've been having to work before the post office opens & not getting off until the post office closes. The box has been sitting in the floor for 3 weeks waiting for me to pick it up & mail. The good news is that I keep finding more stuff to throw in it!

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Kathy

My pal is Everafter (Susan). I have sent her several emails also since I haven't heard if she got my package. Her Dec. package was mailed on the 7th. I usually sent my packages at the end of the month during the swap, but in Dec I was so proud that I got it off early and now I don't know if Susan received or not.

Maybe if and when you have time, you could shoot her an email for me too, to see if she received her package.

Thanks
    Sandy

• ggwrn
    18 years ago

Kathy,

I just saw the post saying that you were my secret pal. Thank you so much for all the great things that you sent me this year! I could tell that you put a lot of thought into the things that you sent. Don't worry about the December box, you sent more than enough stuff over the year! I feel very lucky to have had you as my pal.

Ginger

• ggwrn
    18 years ago

Kathy,

I received a box from you today. Thank you very much for all the knick knacks, bird seed, flower bulbs, but especially for the garden journal. I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into putting that together. I can't wait to start using it to keep track of things. Maybe it will help me to be a little more organized.
    The birds have been going through bird seed like crazy here lately, so the seed will really come in handy. I love the little frog feeder. Thank you again for being such a great pal all year.

Ginger