Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: january~ seed-n-stitches~ pillow fight!!

Posted by hazelnutbunny 7A (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 18:56

Pillow Fight Pictures, Images and PhotosDUCK!!

It's time for the Seeds~n~Stitches January swap!
This month, we will be making PILLOWS! What better way to relax after the holidays than with a pillow made just for YOU by one of your quilting GW buddies?

The style of pillow is ENTIRELY up to you! BUT...you MUST include a flower or garden themed fabric!
There are many ideas out there....here's a great website to get you started:

http://tipnut.com/pretty-pillows/

Guidelines for this swap:

1- Sign up until December 30th.
2- Mail your pillow by January 15th.
3- ONLY include a completed pillow...no other items for this swap. Let's keep this simple!
4- REMEMBER TO USE GARDEN OR FLOWER THEMED FABRIC!
5- Please post when you mail, and include a DC#.
6- Have fun!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillow Patterns

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: january~ seed-n-stitches~ pillow fight!!

Sign me up. I love getting in front of Linda! And I believe I have a pillow front of quilted and ready to go, if the fabric is correct. I'll have to check.

o

"smacking Bev with pillow"....I'm in!!

o

***watching the feathers floating in the air***

This sounds like a lot of fun! Count me in!

(smacking everyone with my pillow. it's been a while since I've been in a pillow fight...)

o

Welcome to the feather tossing, everyone! :)
I'm not sure I'll be able to play...I'll know by the deadline, though! Until then...I'll just duck & cover!

Spittin' feathers:
~Bev
~Linda
~Dan

Hidin' behind the couch (for now):
~Melissa

o

Achoo! Achoo! Thanks, Linda and Dan. Now I'm covered in feathers and I'm allergic. LOL

o

There's a commercial for a local law firm on TV right now..It starts out with this old lawyer sitting in a dark corner, and he says...

"This just in: there's a reindeer with a candy cane problem. If YOUR grandma has been run over by a reindeer this Christmas, CALL US."

ROFL
At the end of the commercial, the guy just cracks up....he can't even keep a straight face! Part of what makes that commercial get me every time. :P

o

I have a thought on the pillows. what if we make them but don't stuff them? Some people like to use pillow inserts and some like to use filling. We could let one side open to let the person decide how they want to stuff it. It would also save on postage...just a suggestion.."throwing it in the ring"

o

Either way is fine with me, Linda! I had thought about that, too.

So the style of the pillow/pillow cover will be entirely up to the maker. If you want to make & stuff a specially shaped pillow or simply design a pretty pillow cover, either way will be fine. :D

o

I'll be watching but I have to sit this one out.
I make quilts for our church members & friends who are ill. One has just been told she has alzheimers and another one just had a heart attack. So when I come home on Dec. 26 I have to get busy making these quilts. I keep trying to get some made up ahead but each time one is finished another one get sick. I take them to church and everyone sigms them like a card. They have been very well recieved. So I want to keep it up as long as I can.
The one for alzheimers is to help memory.
I'm still working on my SIL's christmas quilt for the masons. Hopefully it well be done tomorrow.
Have a good evening everyone and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!
gmom

o

Not stuffing the pillows sounds like a good idea. It would be helpful for anyone who might have allergies, and like Linda said, it'll help out on postage. I think that's what I'm going to do. And I'll certainly be happy if whoever winds up sending me a pillow does the same thing. I'd kind of prefer it actually.

Wow, Gmom, that sounds like a wonderful thing to do! I'll bet they all like those quilts!

Just 4 more days until Christmas, is everyone ready?

Dan

o

No time to pillow fight, but you have a great idea here, Melissa. I hope all of you who are participating have fun.
(Mostly I stopped by to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!)
Jeanne

o

Spittin' feathers:
~Bev
~Linda
~Dan

Hidin' behind the couch:
~Melissa
~Gmom
~Jeanne

o

Hey! Bev and Linda, each of you go around one side of the couch, and I'll go over it! Let's get'em!!!

o

Eeek! Better be good, Dan! Santa comes tomorrow night!!

Santa Bunny Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Lol, I'm not worried about Santa Melissa. I don't have a chimney for him to come down, and if he breaks in Stella will greet him with a big ol' "NO!" She doesn't like strangers, not at all. Thankfully, my mail route customers have been pretty generous this year. There are packages beneath the tree, and envelopes containing my tips in/on the tree. Sunday morning my roomie Joe and I are going to open the gifts before I make a huge pancake breakfast. Then, after we clean that up we'll open the envolopes. He still hasn't been able to find work, so we're splitting everything 50/50. I bring home a paycheck, and he keeps the house going, letting me rest in the evenings and on my days off, so this year it'll all get split between us. I did buy him the salad spinner he's been talking about for almost a year now, so that'll be fun to watch him open that up. I've got Monday AND Tuesday off from work, so we're going to hit the after-Christmas sales one day. I've also been planning on going to the liquidblue.com site and ordering some shirts. I've already got 6 of them, and they're pretty cool. Hardy too, which makes them an even better deal! I've had 4 of them for about 6 months now, wearing them to work every day, and they're still holding up really well, no holes or wear marks at all! Not bad, eh? If you should happen to visit the site, check out the wolves, lions, and seashore themed ones. Those are what I like! I want to get the white shark shirt in my next order, I already have the turtles and sealife ones.

While I've got your attention, I have a question. Would it be okay to sew/applique flowers onto my pillow instead of using floral or gardening fabric?

Happy Christmas Eve Eve!
Dan

o

Absolutely, Dan! Applique away! :o) I should've mentioned that before...I know I was thinking it, but my brain just doesn't work so well these days. Too many of my brain cells are going towards baby-building! LoL!

So...YES..APPLIQUE is FINE, if anyone would rather do that than use floral fabric.

And you've reminded me...I usually make fudge for our mailman, but I completely forgot this year! UGH! But, we've had a SUB this week, and not our usual one, either. So I guess it's OK that I've forgotten. Not that I don't appreciate the SUB...but our regular mailman goes the extra mile, and is just a special guy...so I'd rather "tip" him.
I'll just make him some New Year's fudge. :o) Or maybe stick a bottle of sparkling cider in the box for him. I'd do wine...but I sure don't want to get him in trouble! LoL!

o

Just popping in to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas! I hope everyone's weather cooperates for safe travel.

o

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
christmas bunny Pictures, Images and Photos

o

o

I've been wanting to sit down at my sewing desk for over a month now, with no luck. Until today. I am now almost done with my pillow and will be finishing it after eating an Italian-themed Christmas dinner.

Life is good.

o

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! We're finally starting to get over that flu bug that the teenager so generously shared with everyone. :P Lots of sore throats & sniffles still lingering, though. Bleh.

Still a few days for signups, if we've got any lurkers out there! :)

o

my pillow is done, just waiting to find out who I'm sending it to. I went to joann's yesterday and spent too much, but it was a lot of fun and I used money my customers gave me for christmas, so I don't feel guilty at all... lol! would you believe I bought 30 fabric quarters for a sunburst quilt? there will be plenty of left overs I'm sure, maybe even enough to use on the mystery quilt I'm making this coming sunday. there's an online site which is hosting the mystery quilt by posting instructions once an hour. I'm looking forward to it!
so what's everyone else up to?
Dan

o

Hi, hope everyone had a great Christmas! And I hope everyone has a Peaceful New Year! Just got home from Texas as we spent Christmas with my sister and her family and really enjoyed it. If I can get my desk cleaned off this week, I need to start a baby quilt for my niece who is expecting at the beginning of March. So I need to speed quilt and get her quilt done in 4 weeks. So will have to sit this swap out. Hope ya'll can post pics of your pillows.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

I have the link saved for the mystery quilt, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. I was looking forward to it, but I don't think I have enough fabric on hand, and doubt I'll be able to get any before Sunday. Oh well! It sounds like fun, though...and be sure to show us pictures, Dan! :)

Here's a thought...Maybe we could do our own version of a mystery quilt? Have a quilt-along....Whatcha think, Dan?

So far, we only have the 3 signed up, correct? I'm still on the fence with this one...there is much going on right now, and I want to think about whether I can really commit to this.

DAN
LINDA
BEV

Ok, this is the last shout out! I'll check back tomorrow afternoon & post partners then.

o

PARTNERS

Ready, Set....SEW!!

BEV SENDS TO DAN
DAN sends to MELISSA
MELISSA SENDS TO LINDA
LINDA SENDS TO BEV

Remember to have your pillow/pillow cover sent by January 15th.
Have fun! :)

o

Hmmm, a quilt-along sounds like fun Melissa. I'll be busy Sunday with the mystery quilt. I'll do it and see how it goes, then perhaps we can all get together one day soon and make ourselves a quilt. It's funny that you mention it because I was already thinking along those lines...lol! Maybe that's what we'll do in April when I'm hosting again...

Dan

o

Oh, bummer, I got Dan. LOL No offense, Dan, but the pillow top I already had made (actually from many years ago that has been packed up and never made into a pillow) is pink floral with hearts quilted on it. Don't worry, I won't saddle you with that. I'll get busy and find something much more appropriate for you...and have fun coming up with something new. Actually the pink pillow will look nice in my living room so I've finish it at the same time finally.

o

I don't know, Bev....Dan might've liked a pink pillow! :P It would match his tutu!
ace ventura ballerina dance Pictures, Images and Photos

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Stay safe & have fun!

o

Linda~ I finished your pillow & will be mailing it out this week (gotta find some stamps!). It was my first *real* attempt at applique, so it's not perfect. Should've chosen something a bit more simple, I think! Anyway...I'll understand if you never use it, or hide it away in the corner somewhere! :P

o

HEY!!! DON'T MOCK THE TUTU!!! IT TOOK ME WEEKS TO GET IT JUST RIGHT, AND YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE ZIPPER!!!

I put in a few hours on the mystery quilt today, still haven't finished it though. I do like how it's coming out. Would you believe I ran out of white thread today? I had to go to joann's, which turned out to be a very lucky thing! I bought 18 500-yard spools of thread for just $36 (half-price), and found some great fabrics, also on sale! I bought 2 sand fabrics to use in my next project, a landscape quilt, and some white birch tree fabric which looks like they just peeled it off of the trees. The more I think about it, I do believe that we'll be making ourselves a quilt come April. I'll keep it simple but interesting. I think it's time we had ourselves a quilting bee and went home with what we've made, don't you? Lol, it'll be BYOB, of course! I'll get us a clean garbage can for us to pour our drinks into, give it a good stir, and we'll pour ourselves some interesting drinks while we sew... lol! And, since we'll have ourselves an entire month to do our sewing, I do believe it's time to stretch our wings and use some different methods of sewing, eh? I've almost got a pattern all worked out in my mind, and I'm going to give it a try or two before I post instructions. Good thing I've got until April to get this figured out, isn't it?

Everyone have a great night! I'm off! (hey! I heard that!)

Dan

o

Hope everyone has a Peaceful New Year!!! :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

o

I just finished my mystery quilt! I'll be adding more borders to make it 90"x90", but otherwise, it's all done. Here's a picture of it...
Photobucket

o

That looks GREAT, Dan! I love it! :)
Can't wait to see what you've got planned for our April swap!

o

I can't believe you did that just this weekend. It looks great!

I've been busy sewing another apron for my daughter. She had picked out some 50s retro Christmas material with people shopping. Unfortunately, I forgot it was directional and the people are upside down. LOL She wanted me to fix it and I told her you couldn't fix something like that. I had enough material I am making a second one to surprise her ... with the people right side up.! Almost done, she'll get it when she gets home tonight.

o

Bev, that first apron will be great for the person wearing it! When they look down at their apron, the people will be rightside-up... lol! Sounds to me like you've made a great conversation starter! Wear it with pride!
Dan

o

I agree, Dan! Some of my favorite sewing projects are ones where I did something "wrong". I get the grins & giggles whenever I look at them. Good memories! :)

I actually got to sew a bit today (yay!). After some fits & farts from my old sewing machine, it decided to play nice. I made a quilted crochet hook roll out of 2 quilt blocks. It was REALLY simple. The 2 quilt blocks are your front (they can be whatever size you like, I used the 12" blocks). Then layer that with batting, an inner fabric and then fabric along the 1/3" part of the bottom for your pockets- whatever height you need to keep your hooks in). Just stitch them together, quilt the pockets in (for crochet hooks, you just add vertical stitching every 1.5-2" or so). Stitch some ties in the middle on one side, and then add your binding. Roll it up & tie it closed!
I'll try to add pictures later, so y'all can see what I"m talking about. But it was a great way to use some extra quilt blocks!

I also got 2 blocks for the birthday block quilt swap finished too! Yay! :)

o

Melissa, I'm sending your pillow out tomorrow. The dc# is 42 0727 0494 0550 3699 3003 6163 2154. I'm mailing it priority, so it better be there by Friday, Saturday at the latest. Enjoy!
Dan

o

Actually, Dan, that is the line I gave my daughter. She didn't buy it, but after awhile, she thought it would be a funny story to tell when she wore it.

I finished the top of your pillow tonight, Dan. Used a technique I found on You Tube and it worked like a charm.

I have forgotten to tell my exciting news to everyone...a new fabric store just opened today a few blocks from my home. Of course, I had to check it out. My other daughter wanted an apron, so we picked out some beautiful fabric. I didn't look at the price and it wasn't until she had it cut and rung up that the sticker price hit me and my daughter. As we got in the car, we both said it was way to nice of a fabric to use for an apron. So I am going to make her place mats and a wall hanging for her kitchen. I went through my stash and found some nice, heavy cotton for an apron for her. (I think the type of fabric is called ticking, but I could be wrong). In addition, I had started making a block for one of our projects and it wasn't working out. So I am going to use that for the pocket. One of the prints is actually fabric I used to make her a dress when she was about 7 or 8. I know she will remember it.

o

Yay! Looking forward to it, Dan! :)

Bev~ That's great! A new fabric store so close to home! I know I couldn't be kept out of one, if I had one so close....even if I couldn't buy anything! :P

Here are some pics of the crochet hook roll I mentioned yesterday. I put this one together in about 30 minutes this morning. This is the 2nd one I've made, and I used a block from our boomerang swap for the front.
One side has pockets for crochet hooks (different lengths), and the other has pockets for patterns.

Front:
Photobucket

Inside:
Photobucket
Photobucket

All rolled up:
Photobucket

If you line the pockets with a lightweight plastic, or use some water proof material for the inside, you could also use the roll to hold paint brushes or other art supplies. I am thinking of making a miniature one for my purse, to hold my pens & some paper!

o

Dan I like your mystery quilt! Melissa that is a clever way to store your hooks! I have been using an old rectangular plastic watch case to store my small hooks in. Well am off to work on a baby quilt for my niece.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Melissa, When is this baby due?
gmom

o

Melissa, the fabrics are so pretty together!

o

Melissa, I'm afraid I have some bad news. I've been sick and haven't gone to work the last two days, so your pillow is still hanging out by my key bowl, waiting to leave. I'll let you know when I've got it in the mail. I'm hoping to go back to work tomorrow and will mail it then.

o

Melissa, your pillow went out this afternoon. My roomie had some errands to run and he put it in the mail for me.
Dan

o

Dan~ No worries! Good things are worth waiting for. :) Hope you're feeling better soon! There is so much crud going around right now, and it seems to keep coming back again & again. UGH. Take care of yourself & have some of Linda's tea. Even if it don't cure ya, it'll sure make ya feel better! :P

Gmom~ The baby is due in 8 weeks. Not much time left, but I sure don't feel like I can wait that long!

Linda's pillow will be going out tomorrow. I haven't been out to get any stamps this week, since we're stuck at home (silly van!!). But I have to go out tomorrow come heck or high water....so your pillar will be going out with me. :)

o

Yes indeedy, your pillow is on it's way to you, Miss Linda! Yay! :)

BEV SENDS TO DAN
DAN sends to MELISSA *SENT*
MELISSA SENDS TO LINDA *SENT*
LINDA SENDS TO BEV

o

"Sliding in on a cloud of dust and cat hair"..ok..I'll be working on Bev's pillow this weekend. I had to see who I got before I made it..(rubbing hands together). I have a stupid cold but I should be up to some sewing tomorrow...

o

***sipping some brandy*** I'm feeling about 98% better, even went to work yesterday and today! I'm looking forward to you getting your pillow Melissa, just wish I could be the one to deliver it!

Hang in there Linda, it's not like the relatives are all ganging up and coming over this weekend, or are they? Hey, is that Sherri's car I see turning into the driveway?
Skip the tea and go straight to the booze, that's my recommendation! If nothing else, at least you won't feel the pain or mind the snot dripping from your nose! Love ya!

o

Linda, I can't wait to see what you are dreaming up!

Dan, your's is in the envelope and sealed...I just didn't want to wait at the P.O. for the Saturday crowd. I'll get to it first thing Monday!

o

I received a beautiful pillow from Dan today! (and Stella & Bump!)
Here's a pic:
Photobucket

The colors are perfect, Dan! We're remodeling both our living room & bedroom, and the colors in our LR are browns, yellows & blues, while the colors in our bedroom are browns, purples & greens! I can't decide where I want to keep this! I love the butterflies & the batik fabrics are great!
Thank you so much, Dan, Stella & Bump! :D

Bunny Thank You Pictures, Images and Photos

o

You are more than welcome Melissa! I have to confess though, I almost kept this one...lol! When I finished it all I could think of was "wow, that's cool!" Fortunately, I've got more fabric and can make myself another one just like it. The batiks I used on the sides kind of remind me of rainy days, what with the blurring of the colors and all. The other colors and of course the pix remind me of my yard, and who doesn't hope to see butterflies in their garden? And of course, the green on the flipside is for when you need something a bit plainer to look at, sort of like a lawn, y'know? I'm glad you liked it! Personally, I think you had a great idea for this swap, and I'm looking forward to the next time you host!

Dan

o

I almost have Bev's pillow done. I hurt my knee and it's in a stabilzing brace at the moment until I get to the doctor on friday..sooo...I'm sewing with it on..it's going but slowly!LOL!

o

my pillow is done! It will be going to to Bev tomorrow..ummm...you do like color, I hope, Bev?.."whistling and looking up at the ceiling"

o
got my pillow!

Melissa, the pillow you sent is absolutely beautiful! It has purple iris appliques on a cream background..simply lovely..it will go very nicely on my dining room reading chair. Thank you so much!1 ((HUGs))

o

Linda, I do love color! Can't wait to see it.

Dan, I got yours out finally today before the snow storm hit. DC 0311 0820 0002 2738 9475

o

Thanks for letting me know Bev! I'm looking forward to seeing what you did. You always do such good work!

Linda, what did you do to your knee? You weren't chasing Jeff away from your chocolate stash again, were you? Wouldn't it be easier on you if you just learned to share? Oh, by the way, Stella wanted me to ask if you're on the good drugs yet. Hmmm, that child may be seeing me pop too many pills, ya think?

Be well everyone!
-Dan

o

Yay, pillows are flying! :)
Linda~ You're welcome! I hadn't done applique before, so that was a learning experience! I probably should have picked something easier! :P Glad you like it. *hugs*

I had an itch to sew today, and not enough of anything (fabric, thread, etc) to make anything large. So I took that idea for the crochet hooks, and made a couple of pencil holders. It worked really well! I'm going to keep one for myself (since I always lose my pens & pencils in my purse!) and give one to a friend. Here's how they look:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

They are bascially made the same as the larger ones, but these only took me 10 minutes to put together. Gotta like little projects like that!

I think one of these, filled with mechanical pencils, along with a puzzle book or notepad will make a fun little gift. :)

o

my package is mailed out..(according to my husband)...I don't know what I did to my knee actually. It's either sprained, pulled or I tore something. I go to an ortho tomorrow morning to find out what's what. I have a knee stabilzer on it right now an no Dan, tell stella only ibrophrofen.

o

Melissa, those are lovely. Great gift idea for the spur of the moment.

Is everyone getting some of this snow coming through? I'll be getting lake effect in the morning as well, since we're right at the bottom of lake mich. Can you believe it, I still had alyssum blooming yesterday. Just two little patches, but it was so cheerful.

Linda, I hope you knee is better soon. It's a bummer when you can't walk without pain.

o

Linda, the pillow is beautiful! You're right, I love butterflies. I will really enjoy this. (I don't know why photobucket turned the photo sideways. It wasn't that way when I downloaded it.) Thanks!

Photobucket

I really enjoyed this swap. I new skill to learn.

o

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far! Not much going on here, just babysitting a few extra kids so everyone is outside enjoying the mild weather. Sure wish Mother Nature would make up her mind, though! 8 degrees & snow night before last, and now it's in the 50's, with high 60's predicted for tomorrow. Sheesh! :P

o

Hi everyone! Love your pics of pillows and pencil holders! I am working on the border of my great-nephew's baby quilt and hopefully will start hand quilting the layers by the end of next week. Trying to get this quilt done by end of January to free up some time to do other things. Will try to post the February S-N-S Swap around January 20th or 21st - will just depend on how busy the week turns out. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Bev sent me a fantastic pillow cover! Here's the front...
Photobucket

And here's the back...
Photobucket

'Tis definitely a reversible cover! Bev, I think that's great how you took the Attic Windows block and made something new out of it for the front! Too kewl! I've a question for you though... where did the material for the back come from? It didn't happen to migrate from my stash to yours at some point in time, did it? I used to have some of that print, but no more. Wherever it came from, that and the others you used, they're in their forever home now! THANK YOU!!!
-Dan

o

Actually, it did come from you. LOL I didn't think about it being reversible though.

The front was so easy too. Just a nine patch. Cut it through the middle one way, then cut each of the two sections through the middle. You now have four blocks you can arrange anyway. Glad you like it.

o

Yay! It looks like everyone has received their pillows! Great going, everyone!
I love the different designs & ideas everyone came up with. Y'all are very creative (and colorful!).

Thank you to everyone for making this a GREAT swap! :)

o

And thank YOU Melissa for hosting with such a great idea! It was a great swap!

o

And we all have new pillows!!..LOL!!
I'm glad you liked your pillow Bev..it just said it was you!

o

Glad you all had a wonderful pillow swap. Sorry I missed it, have been busy making a baby blanket that has to be ready for my niece's baby shower on January 28th. I went ahead and posted the February Swap guidelines and will attach a link below for it.

Best to you,
Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: February 2012 S-N-S Fabric Quarter Swap

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here