Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: Secret Santa (7th Annual) Thanks and games

flwrs4ever
9 years ago

Please post here, your thank you's and photos for the photo challenge !!

I make ornaments, and will offer one up as a prize...so everyone that posts a photo for the photo challenge, will get their name added into a drawing for an ornament.

The photo is an example of the Spider Legend Ornament, I will choose one and send boxed with a legend.

All photos need to be posted before December 17th, midnight EST

THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FOR GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO MAKE THIS SEASON JUST A LITTLE BRIGHTER FOR YOUR FELLOW GARDEN BUDS, YOU ALL ARE THE BEST !!

Comments (150)

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

I have received four lovely cards from paul, dmkelly. bluee19 and cottonwood 468
    Thank you so much you guys, I have already had two dreams where I would walk to my mailbox and find letters there waiting for me from you secret santas, I am so blessed with your generosity, thank you! Merry Christmas to everyone here, I know I'm a little early for this, but I'll be working around that time and wont be able to check in as often as I'd like, I look forward to this new year because of all of you generous gardeners with a passion for sharing my diversity has grown, Love you all! Happy gardening!
    - Stephanie C.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Four beautiful cards today, you can see the squirrel above, with them. Delightfull homemade card from dmkelly and marigold, snapdragon, four o clocks and white tomasol tomato. From skyblue52, her purple morning glory photo card and lots of purple mg seeds. From mastergardener2003, False Indigo/Baptisia and Double Pink poppies. From pmb, Black Dragon coleus and Redhead radishes. I love all these seeds. Thank you. Mary E.

• Jaime
    9 years ago

Received my second card today. A Santa with snowflakes that says ho ho ho. Thank you Michael (heveanly farm) Your so generous. I'm very excited to grow the fennel and garlic chives. :)

• l1oness
    9 years ago

I received a card today with Christmas Wishes from Melinda (ilovefarac). Thank you so much for the banana peppers and the White Tower Columbine! They will look so pretty in my garden!

Mandy

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Mary -- I love, love, love your squirrel picture! Thanks so much for sharing.

roper2008 -- The mysterious "ST" from California is sahmjay (GW ID).

Dawn -- Thank you so much for the lovely card (I think it might be homemade, but it's so pretty that it's hard to tell) and for the great seeds: Matadore Spinach, Armenian Cucumber, Cylindr Beet, Cosmic Purple Carrots, Golden Midget Melon. These are definitely going in my garden!

Susan B. -- Love the morning glory Christmas tree Christmas card!! It's very striking how the shape of the MGs mirrors the shape of the tree below. And thank you for the seeds. I can grow my own morning glory Christmas tree for next year!

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 21:52

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Okay I have lots of thank yous to do!!! Came home late last night from work to find 4 Beautiful Christmas Cards!!

Don (dem_pa) - a very creative card with buttons(nifty idea for the future!) with milkweed- orange (i hope i have more butterflies next year with all these goodies!! lol), big mammoth dill for the caterpillars and some pink hollyhocks :)

Promise (Pmb2005)- a nutcracker card with old fashion peony poppy seeds!! I am a sucker for anything labeled old fashion and I really loved the few poppies I had this past year and can't wait to have more!! :)

Shirley (Brittneysgram) - a lovely glittery card that included double red, pink yellow mix hollyhocks!! I love hollyhocks and I really want more! Lol It's one of my current obsessions too!

Phyllis - A lovely mouse family card that had prairie lupine and tall russel lupine(i really wanna see that blue prairie color in my garden!) and pink prairie mallow( I looked up pics and it looks exactly what I was looking for a few days ago on the Seed Exchange!! A Christmas Miracle!

and another chirstmas tree card today from

leann2800 - she included purple zebrina hollyhock seeds...again anything hollyhock and I'm in!! :)

THANKS EVERYONE!! I am enjoying myself and started hanging everyone's cards above my computer to brighten my day whenever I have a rough day at work and am stuck inside!! :)

~Michael

P.S. If anyone gets one of my Christmas Cards and they had to pay postage on it at all, let me know and I will make it right!! My mother took my packages to the post office and they got "sick" of doing my packages(she said no one was in line anyways) and gave her stamps and said "just start putting them on yourself, the two stamps is good enough"......I guess I will have to send them a nice christmas card too with seeds!! They need some cheering up lol
    ~michael

• smitties
    9 years ago

I received a pretty picture card from Susan/Skyblue52 yesterday along with purple morning glory seeds. Thank you Susan and Merry Christmas to you.

Margo

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Thank you Leann for the Devil's trumpet. I love these and can't wait to try to grow my own!

And Erica, thank you for your sweet packet of seeds! They did strike my fancy and will find special places in the garden. I've never tried to start roses or hostas from seed so that'll be an adventure.

Thank you both!!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Kym, I got your message about my "custom made" SILVER spider ornament. That spider ornament is the best ornament I've seen this year.

Mary! Great squirrel photo. :)

Sheri

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good Morning Elves !!

******SPECIAL REQUEST********** It has been brought to my attention, that there is a gardener having a real hard year and one of the Elves here, has asked if anyone would be willing to send one more card. ANY type of seed, or even just a CARD to send some love, would be appreciated, but in no way required. If you are interested, PLEASE send me an email and I will send you the address.

Mary, I love the squirrel photo, we rescued a squirrel years ago, the kids named him cheerios, he loved to eat them. I hope your Elf on the Shelf heals quickly ;)

redthreaddiy, you sure are talented, those pumpkins are BEAUTIFUL !!

Sheri, thank you SO much for the kind words about my ornaments, this is my first year making the spiders, I wasn't sure how they would be received :)

Dan, I hope you are feeling better..and no photos of bump with the cards ?

I hope everyone is taking time in the middle of all the hustle and bustle to just enjoy the moment ...I am really looking forward to my son coming home from college !

Well, I am off to finish watching Miracle on 34th st, and make ornaments ....Have a wonderful Sunday !

anyone want to share photos of their tree, or card displays ? Any good cookie recipes ??

I could share the Oreo Ball recipe, if there is anyone that doesn't make them yet !

• bumpydan65
    9 years ago

Kym, I'll get Bump's picture if I get another card. Yesterday I was in the middle of making chocolate when the mail came, and even though the mess was cleaned up when I opened my cards, I was feeling a little frazzled and didn't think to get Bump involved. Forgive me?

I'll also get a picture of my card display. No tree this year, so that's out. Here's a picture of the chocolate-dipped pretzels and rolled corn chips I made yesterday to tide you over...

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Good Morning Everyone! For those I mailed cards/seeds. Can you let me know if postage was due and if you had to pay? I weighed the envelopes @ home and did put an extra stamp(s) or so on the envelope. If you had to pay the postage due, please email me so I can cover the cost. Thank you. Its always good to know because I am still learning.

Have a great Sunday Everyone!!!

• dem_pa
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2133860}}

My maple tree last week.

I received the following cards:

From cghpnd a handmade card with asters, white cleome, Mexican sunflower, and orange cosmos inside. I love all of them. Thank you.

From dmkelly I also received a beautifully made card with a Chriistmas tree and snowflakes. Inside are seeds of ugly ripe tomatoes, cabanella peppers, muncher cucumbers, and burgundy gaillardia. I love all of them. Thank you.

From clipclop a Christmas tree and presents loaded on a sleigh. Inside were the following seeds: cosmos and larkspur. I love both of them. Thank you.

From pinkiris I received a Santa card with the following seeds inside: coral numph salvia, tickseed coreopsis, "Plains" coreopsis, violet cleome, and columbine. I love all of them. Thank you.

From pmb2005: a Santa card and inside were "Goblin" gaillardia and Patriotic coneflower mix. I love both of them. Thank you.

From bluee19: a beautiful "Star of Wonder" card. Inside were the following seeds: Commercal packs of purple top white globe turnips, Early scarlet globe radishes, and seven top turnips. I love all of them . Thank you.

From heavenlyfarm: A "Ho Ho Ho" Santa card. Insde were the following seeds: Lavender poppy, :Arizona Sun: gaillardia, columbine mix I love all of them. Thank you.

From cottonwood648 a winter scene with boys playing hockey. Inside were Lavender cosmos seeds. I love them. Thank you.

From ishareflowers a "Winter Wishes" card with three owls. Inside were seeds of: cosmos "Ladybird Lemon" and blue ageratum. I love both of them. Thank you.

From bumpydan65 a "Joy" Christmas card. Inside was a pack of white coneflowers. I love them. Thanks.

From cryptid a beautifully made card. Inside was a crocheted butterfly pin made by this wife, columbine origami red and white, "sensation Picotee"cosmos, "Black Magtic" bachelor buttons, "Cherry Belle" radishes, and "hailstone" radishes. I love everything. Thank you.

From ilovefarac a Christmas tree card. Inside were violet cleome, coral nymph salvia (my favorite), "early sunrise" coreopsis, Ascleopsis butterfly weed, Granny's bonnet columbine. I love all of them. Thank you.

• kineticentity
    9 years ago

Leann2800-
    Thank you so much for the lovely card and devil's trumpet seeds. Can't wait to grow them!

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

A few of my wild garden helpers decided to stop for a snack this snowy morning. This is just one of about 15 wild turkey in the yard. We have crabapples, Nanking cherry, hawthorns, and other plants for my wild pets to feast on.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Happy Sunday!

Got more mail.....

mastergardener2003 sent me Merry Christmas wishes with seeds galore...Sunflower mix, Coreposis yellow mound, rudebeckia mix, Foxglove Digitalis and Coreopsis mix...very nice!! And I commend you on your tape job..LOL! No one, no machine...was going to destroy, shred or steal these seeds....LOL! Thanks so much Bonnie!

dmkelly sent me a beautiful Merry Christmas handmade ornament card.....lovely! And seeds, Juane Flamme Tomato, Rocket Snapdragon, Burgandy Gaillardia, Sweet Italian Roaster Pepper and Pablano Pepper....great selction!! Thank You Dawn!

Bonnie and Dawn, wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2015. Be well and be safe!

Annie

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

A little squirrel back story: My next door neighbor's heard him crying their backyard in March, they left him alone, but when he was still there when they had to pick the kids up from school, they brought him to me. On a Weds. I warmed him up, then gave him a little warm water with a glass needle nose eyedropper. Later gave him a little warm sugar water. He was about six weeks. He made it through the night and got proper formula the next day. You cannot use human or cat formula, or goat milk formula. Please get current info if you ever do this. He thrived. Slept a lot at first. Then we were able to maintain him outside all day and inside to sleep, moveable nest. It was a cold spring, but soon he was out all the time, sleeping under the folded patio umbrella nest.
    He built his own nest, in the neighbor's parkway tree, the neighbors that brought him to me. He will pose for raisins, as you see, but he lives wild. Does not approach people, except for us.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

I have received some wonderful cards and seeds, but I am stealing a minute on a computer I'm not authorized to use because my pc is down for now. As soon as I am back online I will post a detailed accounting. Thanks to all!
    Alana

• Kachana
    9 years ago

I received my first card from Shirley (brittneysgran) yesterday. Shirley sent a card with beautiful sparkly silvery snowflakes. She included Mystic Spirit Daylily seeds, Journey's End Canna seeds, and Gaiety Canna seeds. Thanks so much, Shirley. I love them! I cannot wait to grow these this spring!

Wishing you and yours the merriest of Christmas and a happy new year.

Kachana

• intelkid
    9 years ago

Received my first card. Thank you leann2800 for the Moonflower seeds! Really can't wait to start these!
    I'm finally back home. From Nov 23rd to Dec 23rd, with overtime, I've been busy with work haven't had time to do anything else. Mostly have to do my Christmas shopping online and try to get the deliveries on the days I'm off, since I live away from big stores. Not an easy task at times!

We haven't had any snow were I live, yet. And I think I have a slight cold from two days ago. My throat feels a bit scratchy but that's about it. I'm so glad it's not coughing and runny nose!

-David

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2133861}}

• Phylis
    9 years ago

Received cards from Linda(clipclop) & Melinda(ilovefarac). THANK YOU âÂÂ¥ ladies & Secret Santas âÂÂ¥ for sharing Christmas cheers with me. I will dive into the goodies and send my thanks a bit later.

~ Happy Holidays with Lots Of ..

This post was edited by phylis on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 8:11

• cryptid
    9 years ago

Posted by dmkelly on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 12:34

A few of my wild garden helpers decided to stop for a snack this snowy morning. This is just one of about 15 wild turkey in the yard. We have crabapples, Nanking cherry, hawthorns, and other plants for my wild pets to feast on.

Wow,...y'know, way back when Elly's brother, Bob, and I were into partying with mutual friends of ours, we often enhanced our festive mood with wild turkeys! Erm, well,...anyway, that is to say, more acurately, with Wild Turkey (singular). Ummm (ahem),...never mind. **Cryptid sheepishly slinks away back into the wintry shadows**

• roper2008
    9 years ago

I missed opening a card on Saturday. It's from (pinkiris)
    JayeAnne.. She sent me a pretty cardinal card with
    Cardinal Flower(hummers love this), Caspian Pink Tomato,
    Polar Bear Zinnia, Cactus Zinnia, and Chervil. Thank you
    JayeAnne.

Also thanks Sahmjay again. She was the mystery card.

I'm still waiting to send my cards out.

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Dem_pa, That is a gorgeous scene and I love the look of the snow on the trees! We are lacking in snow here it seems! Lol

Kym, Send me the address and who it is so I may spy at their seed list if they have one! I'll see what I can do!!

and here's my Chirstmas tree :) We hadn't had any ornaments or a tree for Christmas in years and I am trying to bring that Spirit back in our lives :)

~michael

• dirtdaddy
    9 years ago

Many thanks to amberroses for all the black tomatoes and the Dr. Maussam snow pea. I cant remember another JOY to the World card!

More thanks to pmb2005! lemon queen and evening sunflower mix!

• wilsha
    9 years ago

Hey All :)

I am so loving reading about how you all spend the holidays! :)

Michael (HeavenlyFarm), I too haven't decorated, nor had a tree for a few years and the festiveness of this page is starting to pull on my heart strings. So I'm gonna decorate something, even if it's just my dog this year, lol.

Wilsha

• nottougly
    9 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I am here to let you guys know I received 2 cards last week.
    The first card is from pmb2005. Promise sent a cute card with Snowmen. She included seeds of the Spurred Butterfly Pea, Burgundy Amaranthus and Black Eye Susan. Thank you so much for them.
    The second card was from cghpnd. Crystal sent a beautiful card with Mary and Joseph.
    She included seeds of Black Eye Susan, Mexican Sunflower, Celosia, Red Golden and the Toothache Plant.
    I canâÂÂt wait to grow the toothache. I may just have to start it
    Inside the greenhouse.
    Today I received 2 cards.
    One was from dem_pa. Donald sent me a homemade card with buttons and seeds of the
    Evening Sun Sunflower, Granny Bonnet Columbine and the TN Spinning Gourds.
    I canâÂÂt wait until spring. I really liked your card. It is fantastic.
    The other card had lovely poinsettiaâÂÂs on it and it is from panhandle_seed_swap.
    Sheri sent me 2 packs of the Red Spider Zinnia.
    Thank you Sheri.
    Thank you everyone for the cards and seeds. I really appreciate them.

Faye!

• dirtdaddy
    9 years ago

dem-pa! WOW! thanks so much for all the pole beans, Sultons golden,kentucy wonder gold,mayflower, and trail of tears.
    Also thanks for the evening sun sunflowers, zinnias, big red cayennes, and of course, the spinning gourds!
    thanks, PEACE, dd.

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Big Thank you's today!
    Cryptid sent me a lovely homemade card with grand rapids lettuce, premier kale, and origami red and white columbine! And on top of that his wife made me a beautiful butterfly pin! Thank you so much ! All will be used!
    Vina sent me a lovley card with heirloom hollyhock mix!
    Chrystal (cghpnd)- send me cosmos, asters and petunia.
    Dawn sent me buttercup squash, howden pumpkin, super shepherd pepper, Blush tomato, and burgundy gaillardia!
    I am thrilled with all of them and everyone's wonderful cards! Thank you so very much to each of you! Melinda

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

A big thanks to heavenly farms for the really neat card. Way awesome to support the mouth and foot painting artists. And thanks for the anise agastache...love the smell of that one.
    And thanks to flowergurl34 for the very beautiful card as well. Sparkly! Appreciate the toothache plant seeds as well...

Only 10 more days till Christmas.... I so enjoy receiving these cards and seeds... Makes me happy !

• leann2800
    9 years ago

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. It's all very hectic here but, its a fun flurry of action not a bad hectic.

I am in love with my mailbox!

Bumpydan's card was the first to arrive with Purple Coneflower.
    This is supposed to be native where I live but it has never grown in my yard. I have wanted it for quite awhile. Thank you.

Chrystal sent me a card with Santa driving a car. I live in a male dominated house. They think the card is theirs. I will let them think that. She sent me a mix of flower, food, and fun. I have never seen anything like the herb you sent. Very cool.

Aster
    Mexican Sunflower Red Torch
    Toothache Plant
    Tropical Milkweed

Don made me a card with buttons. Thank you for taking the time to make a card. I love it. Just look at the list of seeds he sent. I just know my yard will be full of butterflies this year. I can't wait!

Oriental Poppy
    Peony Poppy
    Butterfly Weed
    Granny's Bonnet

Melinda sent me two kinds of poppies. My husband and I were surprised that the peony looks a little like a carnation. I have never grown poppies before. I know they are abundant in other states but, the only ones we see here are made of crepe paper and passed out on Memorial Day.

Peony Poppy
    Red Corn Poppy

Margie sent me what my hubby calls the Kate Moss kind. He loves the art on the front. I love the colors of the mix she sent. Not only will all these flowers attract butterflies and bees but they will look good in the moonlight. Moon gardens just sound so romantic to me.

Golden Jubilee
    Purple Mulbein
    Swamp Milkweed
    Columbine Tower White
    Armeria Ballerina Red

Panhandle is the closest to me geographically. Its so rare for me to bump into anyone in North Florida/South Georgia. Hi Neighbor! She sent me two more types of poppies. This might be my first year for poppies but I will look like an expert growing all these varieties. Well, I will if I manage to grow them. Right? I also got seeds to grow a flower tree. I really need the flower trees and shrubs. Several of my borders are bare but, maybe these seeds will help.

Peony Double Blend
    Pink Rose of Sharon
    Shirley Double Choice

Thank you everyone! The cards and seeds really made my week.

• Jaime
    9 years ago

Just recently found out we are expecting!! Morning sickness is rough when its all day. Made the day so much better when the hubby brought mail in.
    Thank you so much to-
    Leann2800- for the pretty card and moonflowers. :)
    Panhandle- for the poinsettia card and the lime basil. :)
    Cryptid- for the homemade card, gailardia, geum, garlic chives, parlsey and bachelors button. I have never seen the black bachelors. I'm very excited.
    I absolutely love the handmade butterfly. Please thank your wife. Such a great talent.
    Thank you everyone. This made my day all the better. :)

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Michael.. I'm happy you got a tree up this year. I'll have to look for an ornament for you now!

Wilsha... I love your dog. Great photo!

Leann... we will have to meet at a seed swap sometime, neighbor!

I had maybe my BEST mail day EVER!

Dawn/dmkelly sent me a really cool homemade card with generous amounts of Sweet Italian Roaster Pepper, Super Shepherd Pepper, Sensation Picotee Cosmo, Spinach Matador (IâÂÂll have to look this one up!) and Tasmanian Chocolate Cherry Tomato (IâÂÂll have to look this one up, too!). Thank you, Dawn!!! :)

Vina/flowergirl34 sent a BIG card with a beautiful Christmas city scene with white scabiosa and Giant Blue Sea Holly seeds. Thank you so much, Vina! IâÂÂve never grown the Sea Holly, IâÂÂll research that one, too.

Melinda/ilovefarac sent a really pretty reindeer card with sunflowers: lemon Queen, Velvet Queen and Malva Zebrina. So generousâ¦thank you sooooo much, Melinda!

Michael! Your seeds arrived safe and sound⦠VERY generous amounts of Arizona Sun Gaillardia and Dreamland Zinnia with awesome labels. His card has cute birds on a Christmas wreath, very pretty. Thank you so much, Michael/heavenlyfarm. I found some seeds for you and IâÂÂm mailing them tomorrow.

Lisa/isharflowers gave me a BIG Santa card and some really pretty little gift cards (that look hand-crafted) tucked inside with these seeds inside them: Cosmos Rubenza, Strawberry Alexandria, Green Dragon Cucumber, Calendula Octoberfest, Miniature White Cucumber, Scabies Butterfly Blue, Scabiosa Yellow, Scabiosa Red, Amaranthus caudatus âÂÂViridisâÂÂ, Malva Zebrine, Hollyhock Halo White, Halo lavender, entire pack of white Swiss Chard and Bianca Borage. You really, really spoiled me, Lisa and I love it all! Some exciting new varieties for me to look up, too. Thank you so much, Lisa!

BEAUTIFUL cards and seeds everyone! You really made my week! :) Thank you! the butterflies and bees will be thankful, too. ;)

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 19:44

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Sheri, thank you!! I can hardly wait! My mom herself was excited by the tree that she had to buy a few ornaments she liked! I am really trying to make a difference this year!

I'm happy too see everyone enjoying their cards and their seeds!! Expect even more next year!! :) I seriously enjoy this swap! It's brought more Christmas joy my way!

Two cards today:

Pinkiris - A santa card that says "never outgrow christmas" lol I don't think I ever will!! She sent lavender seeds, fig leaf hollyhock (I really can't wait to see the foliage) and amaryllis 'Black Pearl'...I was so happy for that last one too, I wanna grow it right now but I'm gonna resist till March when my bay windows are less crowded and warmer for better luck :)

Flowergirl34 (Vina) - A glittery Christmas scene card that had 'Plum Crazy' Hibiscus seeds!! I've been searching for a plum one ever since I found that the one I had bought a few years ago had died!

And so maybe not a Christmas card but I must tell you my other mail!! A gardening book I ordered : " Mrs Greenthumbs: How I turned a boring yard into a glorious garden" I bought it because alot of reviews said it was both great and funny! 7 pages in and already a few things that make me smile! Cards, seeds, baking today, and books.... Let Winter officially begin now!
    ~michael

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Happy Monday Everyone! It was a great day at my mailbox and its thanks to those who sent Christmas card/seeds!!

Thanks Sanmjay (Sam), I saw your initials ST and knew it was YOU!! I appreciate being thought of during this holiday season! Merry Christmas 2 U n' Ur lovely Family!!

Thanks KineticEntity (Amanda) for the Canna seeds and Siberian Iris. My garden appreciates being thought of during this holiday season! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• wilsha
    9 years ago

OMGoodness! I was so thrilled to receive my first cards today. They are so beautiful and sparkly (as you can see in the picture). Sheri (Panhandle) included with her card, Fennel Di Ferenze and Panorama Red Shades Bee Balm, which I'm excited to say I've never heard of either of them, so it's definitely a surprise for me. And Vina (Flowergirl34) sent Double Feverfew -- so wonderful and with all I have in my garden, I don't have that :)

Thanks to you both for your generosity!

• wilsha
    9 years ago

Just want you guys to know, this is my first round robin and I have enjoyed reading EVERYTHING on this page, EVERYDAY. OK, to be honest, I stop by several times a day, so I guess I'm a little addicted :)

Thanks Sheri (Panhandle) for noticing my precious little Gaia :) She's spoiled, greedy, and disrespectful -- the perfect little Chihuahua/Terrier Mix, lol.

• sahmjay
    9 years ago

thank you flowergirl134 for the lovely card and german chamomile ! can't wait to add it to my front yarden 2015 =)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Audrey -- I owe you a huge thank you for the perfect seeds. I will be growing them all this spring (if I can wait that long)! And I loved the card and poem. It brought tears to my eyes.

Leann -- Thank you for the lovely carrot seeds. Carrots do very well for me and purple is my favorite color! Much thanks.

Wishing you both a fabulous holiday season!

• bumpydan65
    9 years ago

I've noticed some people saying that they've had some problems growing coneflowers in their yards, so I thought I'd let you know what I've learned about them, mostly by trial and error. They're growing great in my yard now, and I'm enjoying them all...lol!

First and foremost, the seeds need at least a month or two of being outside in the cold before they'll sprout. And when I say cold, I mean below freezing, not just in the 40s -60s. If your area doesn't get that cold for that long, simulate it and throw the seeds into your freezer for a month or so before you plant them.

When you do plant the seeds, do so by scattering them on top of the soil and then pressing them into it. They don't need to be buried. After pressing them into the soil, lightly cover them with grass clippings or straw so the birds don't eat them.

Coneflowers love the sun, so plant them where they'll get full sun. If you don't have a full sun area for them, plant them in the sunniest spot available and hope for the best.

Some types of coneflowers get off to a slower start than others, depending on variety. In the spring, scatter some cosmos seeds where you planted the coneflowers. Both species love the sun and require the same amount of watering, which in my mind makes them excellent companions. Aslo, cosmos and coneflowers flowering together looks great!

If you've got other questions about growing coneflowers, let me know. I've been growing mine with great success for the last 4 years or so, after having a few forehead-slapping moments because of the mistakes I made. I'll be glad to help you avert doing them too.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

kineticentity... thank you so much for the beautiful Christmas card with the very generous globe thistle! yay!! Believe it or not Ive been trying to get this to grow for the past 2 years with no success, now I get to try again =) super excited! thank you!

ilovefarac... thank you so very much for the beautiful Merry Christmas card and for sharing with me Penstemon 'white', 'Black Cherry' tomato and 'Black from Tula' Tomato...yum!! I am going to try and winter sow the penstemon and as for the tomatos...they are going to set right here in the office to get started for my veggie garden this year! super excited! thank you!

Thank you ladies so very much for sharing your gardens with me I really appreciate it!

wishing both of you and your families a very happy holiday season and a beautiful garden for 2015!

This post was edited by pinkiris on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 11:16

• paulan70
    9 years ago

I received 2 cards today

1 from Sheri- panhandle seed swap she sent me a very pretty poinsettia card with some lilliput zinnia. Thank you

And then a very pretty card from Vina - flowergirl134 and she sent me some Orange blackberry lilies. Thank you so much

I can not wait to start wintersowing these.

Merry Christmas.

Paula

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Michael (and Chrystal), your seeds are going out today. Michael, I'll keep my eye-out for a pretty nonbreakable ornament.

Wilsha, your card photo is really cool. Do you have a program for that?

Dan, that Coneflower info is very helpful to me. Thank you!

Sheri

• Kachana
    9 years ago

******** Doing a happy dance *************

So Christmas came early again today! I received two cards from Sheri (Panhandle_Seed_Swap) and Don (dempa). THANK YOU, Sheri and Don.

Sheri sent generous amount of Tashkent #1 French Marigold (will have to google later) along with a beautiful poinsettia Christmas card.

Don's card was homemade with really cute buttons as ornaments. So cute and so creative. Inside were medium pink peony poppy seeds, Will Rodgers zinnia seeds, and Granny's Bonnet columbine seeds.

Thanks again, you two. Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas and a great new year.

Kachana

• wilsha
    9 years ago

Sheri (Panhandle) -- I used Picasa for MAC -- I luv it's collage making feature. You can use any program that has a collage maker :)

• smitties
    9 years ago

Thank you to DmKelly, for the handmade Christmas card. So creative and along with the beautiful card she included
    buttercup squash
    Joseph's coat
    blush tomato
    muncher cucumber

Love them all!!! Margo

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

Got my second card.
    YIPPY
    I was stalking the mail boxes.
    Received my 3rd Christmas Card today (2nd from the SSS)
    Thank u so much JayeAnne! (pinkiris)
    Love the card.
    I cant want to get the seeds started! I have a Black and Purple theme garden (GO RAVENSâ¡) So the Black Prince SnapDragons, Purple Poppies and Holly Hock Zebrina will look stunning in that area!
    The Butterflies will love the Lantana and Viola 'Helen Mount' in their new 500sq ft garden plot.

Thank u so much!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Special thanks for two cards and great seeds today!
    From Pinkiris (mooseflowers, anyone?) Seashells cosmos, Unwins
    dahlia, Fig Leaf hollyhocks, Andrella Super asters and Giant Perfection asters.
    From the mysterious ST: This envelope had a rough trip, happy to report the seeds were so well packed they are unscathed, red Yucca, Lemon Queen sunflower and Black hollyhocks.
    Anyone else starting to look in the neighbor's recycling bin for mild jugs? LOL
    Thanks, Santa! Mary E.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Merrily Merrily from the mailbox I go!
    Thanks to DirtDaddy
    {{gwi:2133862}}
    Thank you to PinkIris for Cleome Violet and Gloriosa Daisy
    and ilovefarac for dwarf zinnia seeds!
    Thank you to dem_pa for the evening sunflower seeds and med. pink peony poppy seeds in the cute button card!
    {{gwi:2133863}}
    Heidi