Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

New: Dec. FOTESS Season's Greetings Swap!

sjc48
11 years ago

Hi Everyone and welcome to the FOTESS SEASON'S GREETINGS swap!

FOTESS is a group that requires membership. If you are not currently a member, contact either Jeanne or myself to find out more about joining our group. We emphasize being friendly to the earth by sharing seeds, recycling, upcycling and sharing things we have read and enjoyed.

With all the other big swaps going on this month, we're going to keep our December swap simple.
No, really, VERY SIMPLE!

When you sign up, you will be sending, you guessed it!, Season's Greetings to 5 other FOTESS members. A Christmas/Seasonal card. And that's it!

We have between 20-25 members in FOTESS. Once sign-ups are over, I will email each participant 5 names from our membership list. PLEASE KEEP THESE NAMES SECRET! If you need addresses, please contact Jeanne or I. Post here when you mail out (NO NAMES PLEASE!) and post when you receive and from who.

Now, if you would like to include a SMALL gift, that's fine, BUT...THE GIFT MUST BE SMALL ENOUGH TO ALLOW YOU TO STILL USE ONE FOREVER/42 CENT STAMP TO MAIL OUT! I hope that is clear enough! Some examples could be: 1 pk seeds, seed envies, gift tags, a handwritten note/drawing, Christmas stickers, etc. But remember, gifts are optional.

And this is really important: WRITE "FOTESS" OR "FRIENDS OF THE EARTH" ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARDS IN BIG BOLD LETTERS TO AVOID CONFUSION WITH OTHER SWAPS!

You will have until Dec. 9th to sign up and you will have until the end of the month to mail out.

Anybody out there feel like writing a few more Christmas/Holiday cards? Please join us!

And may I be the first to wish you "SEASON'S GREETINGS!"
Shirley!

Comments (126)

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Today I received two beautiful "FOTESS" cards.
    Shirley sent a stunning card with her original photography-the same photo that the calender she sent me in a previous swap is turned to this month. The Calender is over my desk and has received several compliments. The card is just as lovely. Inside was a FOTESS refrigerator magnet with a butterfly photo on it-so pretty!
    Thank you!!

From Heidi I received another handmade card. The envelope was almost too pretty to open and I made sure I admired it plenty before I opened it. Inside was a very creative "Garden of Alana" card with a bouquet of black daisies inside. I love it! Thank you!

Alana

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Good Tuesday Evening FOTESSERS,

I have FOTESS mail.........

I just opened a lovely Christmas card from Katie. And inside, she included a Christmas CD....not just any Christmas CD....A Katie mix of eclectic Christmas Carols. I will listen to this in the car tomorrow as I boogie around town. So looking forward to it. I will review "Katie's Carols 2012" tomorrow evening...LOL! Thank you so much Katie.

Heidi, the card from me that you are referring to is for the Secret Santa Swap. Did I write FOTESS on the back of the card?? Am I losing my marbles??? Most likely YES!!

Happy Wednesday to all. Merry Christmas!

Annie

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

I also received a FOTESS card and cd from Katie. Its great...I love Elvis. I have listened to the cd 3 times tonight while I was working around the house. Thank you so very much. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Ellie

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Shirley~Thank you so much for the card and pretty Tithonia magnet...it really pops on my black fridge! Merry Christmas~Janine

• kchd
    11 years ago

Margo, love your trees, especially the doughboy one. Too funny!

For those of you wondering, here's my eclectic mix. Can you tell I like songs about wintry weather? The CD is a combo of many genres, including classical, jazz, soul/motown, easy listening, celtic, old standards, and of course, Elvis! I may be young, but I'm old souled!

Track / Song / Artist
    1 O Tannenbaum by: Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Christmas)
    2 Sleigh Ride by: Pops Orchestra
    3 The Christmas Song by: Barbra Streisand
    4 Silver Bells by: Bing Crosby
    5 Baby, It's Cold Outside by: Dean Martin
    6 White Christmas by: Elvis Presley
    7 Santa Baby by: Oldies But Goodies Holiday Players
    8 Little Drummer Boy by: Ray Charles
    9 I'll Be Your Santa Baby by: Rufus Thomas
    10 Here Comes Santa Claus by: Elvis Presley
    11 Jingle Bells by: Barbra Streisand
    12 Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by: Brenda Lee
    13 Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! by: Bing Crosby
    14 My Favorite Things by: Barbra Streisand
    15 Blue Christmas by: Elvis Presley
    16 Winter Wonderland by: Pops Orchestra
    17 White Christmas by: Barbra Streisand
    18 Here We Come A-Wassailing by: The Albion Christmas Band
    19 Christmas Time Is Here by: Vince Guaraldi Trio
    20 Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by: Barbra Streisand

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I want to thank Jeanne, Annie, and Shirley for their Christmas cards and gifts. I really appreciate them.

I'm wishing all the FOTESS members:

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR FULL OF PEACE LOVE AND JOY

hibiscusfan

• Kelli9699
    11 years ago

I, also, received the wonderful card and CD. I was in my truck when I opened the card so it went in the player right away. Lovely mix of Christmas songs. Thank you again.

• Kelli9699
    11 years ago

I, also, received the wonderful card and CD. I was in my truck when I opened the card so it went in the player right away. Lovely mix of Christmas songs. Thank you again.

• Kelli9699
    11 years ago

I, also, received the wonderful card and CD from Katie. I was in my truck when I opened the card so it went in the player right away. Lovely mix of Christmas songs. Thank you again.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heidi, I'm still laughing at your post about the printers; I can certainly relate! The best printer I ever had was a little HP Photoprinter. Did nothing but print photos and the cartridges were relatively inexpensive. Well, I kinda,sorta wore it out and they don't make them anymore, so now I have an HP all in one. Not nearly as good. I had an Epson AIO, and it would not recognize certain cartridges either. A Real Bummer when you have had a good day shooting pics.
    Can you make ink from plants? Who Knew? Aren't you supposed to use ground up ashes?

Janine, Ellie and Suzanne, great to hear from all of you!
    I'm glad everyoe is enjoying the magnets; for some reason, this year they were a real challenge.

Katie, what a marvelous idea - a Christmas CD - sounds like a really good mix!

Well, all my holiday mailing is done, gifts are wrapped, no baking yet, but I'll have all weekend, if I get really ambitious! Now if it would just snow, so I could get some winter scenes!
    Have a great day tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    11 years ago

Katie, nice Cd mix.

Shirley, last I heard, we were due about an inch here on Friday but not sure how north it is going. I love a white Christmas but once the weekend hits, I prefer the snow hold off until all Christmas travelers are at their destination safely.

I received a Fostess card today from Lisa with mixed gaillardia seeds inside. Thanks Lisa as blanketflowers are one of my favorite.

Margo

• kchd
    11 years ago

I got a FOTESS Christmas card today from Shirley.
    Shirley, I just love the card and especially the magnet! It's already on the fridge :)

Heidi, I am "lucky" enough to be our field station's IT coordinator. I feel your pain in trying to beat computers and their components into submission! Ack!!

I got an email from Becky thanking me for the card & cd. She is snowed under at work (no pun intended).

Katie

• kchd
    11 years ago

Shirley, I just looked closer at your greeting card - the close up of the tree and ornaments. There is a silver ball and I can see your reflection in it, taking the photo! teehee!!!

Katie

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Katie,

Absoloutley enjoyed your CD in the car today. Great selection of music. It mentally prepped me for taking on COSTCO...LOL! Thanks again for sending my way.

Happy Thursday! Merry Christmas!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Katie, there's one out there somewhere with 3 reflections in it! That was last year's tree; I'm trying to avoid that in this years pics!
    Good Luck, Annie!
    Have a great day All!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Hey everyone!

I rec'd 2 amazing cards in the mail! I can't thank you all enough for your well-wishes! It is truly making my Christmas. :)

Annie, THANK YOU!! What a beautiful card, and love the seed baggies!

Shirley, THANK YOU!! Your are so creative! Love the card and the magnet! It's on the fridge right now :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

The kids are feeling better, and now, I HAVE THE FLU! :(
    I have no time to be sick!! So I am in denial, lol. I will try to find the time to be sick on Dec. 26th...till then deny, deny!

Merry Christmas!
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Finally posting my tree on here. Usually this is our "secondary" tree, but it's the only large one we put up this year. Things have just been too busy. I have 2 small ones - one in the kitchen and one in the dining room.
    Have had two bad falls in the past two weeks so it has been rough. Stay safe, everyone... especially if you are traveling and having bad weather.
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone and Happy Holidays!

I just wanted to thank my FOTESS friends for the Christmas cards. I enjoyed the Christmas pics people posted too! I have been self absorbed and stressing about an audit I have at work tomorrow. I'll be relieved when its over.

Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts!

Becky

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

Annie-so sorry about mixing up the swaps and cards. No, you didn't put FOTESS on it. I didn't want to NOT mention it if it was meant to be for this one! Oh well, loved it either way.

We got SNoW! 3-4" is my guess. It started yesterday morning and ended about 8 p.m. (central Nebraska) It's heading up toward Michigan, or that's what they said. I didn't believe it would snow. It was 65 and sunny the day before. Weathermen are so fickle--chalked it up to another lie! But they were right. We are loving it. Even adults are out playing in it. (You should have seen the Snowblower Showoff of Men this morning all trying to outdo each other. If it was an organized event it could not have been funnier. Men all over town strutting behind their machines and waving to everyone driving kids to school or driving to work!)
    Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I received cards from Shirley and Vina today. Thanks, ladies. The magnet is very cute, Shirley. I have it on my refigertor.
    Have fun in the snow, Heidi. I can picture the men with their snowblowers.
    Vina, I hope you feel better.
    Becky, best of luck with your audit at work.
    That sort of wraps it up for today!
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Everyone!
    I got a really cute card from lisam627 today, and she sent a pack of Gaillardia grandiflora-mixed colors! Many thanks, Lisa, and that was a great Santa on the card!

Margo, are you getting any snow? We had rain, pouring down rain from about 5am on today; still raining; could it just please turn to snow!?

Jeanne, your tree is very pretty! And I love the glimpse of the quilted Christmas wall hanging in the photo; one you made, I'm assuming! Thanks for sharing. Are you feeling okay?

Becky, nice to hear from you! Season's Greetings and I hope the audit goes well! Let us know, okay?

Heidi, that snow better be headed for Michigan! SE Michigan to be exact!

Vina, we have alot of creative people in this group; I've always thought you were one of them. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Well, I'm all set up and ready to go for my Solstice Winter Sowing! I'm excited! I'm going to do: pansies for remembrance; petunias for leap of faith; buddleia for trees; and joe pye weed for life. Is anyone else doing a Solstice sowing?

Time for a shower and bed!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    11 years ago

No Snow here Shirley. Just lots of rain and high winds. We had a leak (again) at the store. It wasn't noticed until it dripped on two stuffed animals and two books. One of the books was Corduroy. :( We were so busy so it was really an inconvenience. If the landlord would take care of the building, it would be so nice.

Not sure about the weather report anymore on snow. We were originally getting an inch or so but not sure what now.

No winter sowing here. I tried once years ago but it was a failure. I envy those who have the success I see here. Jealous.

Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WHOOO HOOOO!!!!
    The T-Wolves just beat OKC!!
    YES, YES, YES!!
    Take that, Durant and Westbrook, and remember this:
    If they can do it now, they WILL do it in the playoffs - wait for it!

Now if it would just snow!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still hasn't snowed, but I wanted to wish everyone Blessings on the day - Happy Solstice!
    Shirley!

• canfan
    11 years ago

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!! I received a "Welcome" Card from my sponsor yesterday (thank you very much). I look forward to joining in on the card swap(s) and making new friends.

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Shirley asked about winter sowing. I totally love winter sowing, but I don't seem to have luck with anything that I sow before mid to late January so I will begin planting then. The frustrating part is the heat, dryness, bugs, and voles really do in my garden by late spring. I get so frustrated that I get off to a good start and then am left with hardly anything by summer. I keep saying that one day I am going to switch to just shubbery. Even my rose bushes fall victim to the voles eating all the roots!
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Yesterday, I received from Shirley, a lovely card with a magnet.....so cute! The magnet says "Friends Of The Earth-Simple Swaps"......

Miss Shirley, you are a joy!

Thanks so much....and a very Merry Christmas to you!!

Happy Friday!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas to you, also, Annie! Do you have snow yet?
    Just wondering. We don't.

Hi Peggy! Very nice to hear from you!

I wintersowed 8 milk jugs this morning before going to work. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing! Made it a lot easier to go to work on a Friday! But in order to get it done, I had to get up at 5, so I think I'll go collapse now!
    Hope everyone has a great weekend,
    Shirley!

• kchd
    11 years ago

I did some winter sowing today, too, despite the chilly and very blustery weather making it a real challenge. I sowed blue mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum), cow parsnip (Heracleum maximum), Asclepias tuberosa Hello Yellow, and Flat top aster (Aster umbellata). But, hmmm, I'm rethinking the cow parsnip since it can cause rashes in some people, even though it is a host plant for the Anise swallowtail. : /

• l1oness
    11 years ago

Today I received a welcome card from my sponsor Heidi. It was super cute - thank you very much! I look forward to joining in on more of the fun in the future.

Thank you,
    Mandy

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

More lovely FOTESSING Christmas Cheer has arrived!

Yesterday, I received a most beautiful card from Miss Vina. And inside, a picture of her darling children, Taylor and Billy, the very best BINGO PICKERS...LOL!

Thanks so much Vina. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone! Just checking in! Hi Mandy! Nice to hear from you!

Can you believe that Christmas is the day after tomorrow? Boy, it came quick! I'm all done with prep, just waiting for the day!

Talk to ya all soon!
    Season's Greetings!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

After all the work and anticipation, it's hard to believe Christmas is almost here! I have been trying to make cookies and candy. I don't dare make it until a few days before Christmas or it wouldn't last until Christmas. LOL
    We still need to buy our groceries for our Christmas meal and I am only about 1/2 finished with cleaning house (my least favorite part of the whole thing), but all of that will be finished tomorrow ... then to decide whether to go to church Christmas eve or Christmas morning... One daughter and son-in-law will be here later Christmas Day but most of the day will be just the two of us.
    The presents are wrapped so that's a major thing. I like to get them wrapped ahead of time so we can enjoy seeing the pretty packages under the tree.
    Merry Christmas to everyone!
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

Good Morning and Merry Christmas ladies.
    I was surprised to get cards from several of the Fotess ladies but it was such a pleasant surprise. Many thanks
    see you next year.
    Bethb

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

*****~~~Hope these few thoughts encourage your day, too! ~~~*****

The whirlwind of life catches up with me sometimes & I'm forced to stop. Hold still. Breathe. Not do anything. Wishing I would pace myself better to avoid the crash. I found this quote today that encouraged me.
    "God may give you less energy in some areas, so that you won't focus on areas where He doesn't want you."

Another resource for finding peace
    http://www.incourage.me/2012/12/when-your-soul-needs-to-feel-its-worth

This morning I also received suggestions for 4 ways to savor Christmas in an email. One author shared what her father does on his morning walk with the dog, so I jotted downs some notes.

Take a sacred pause. Stop a bit to set my internal clock -- my soul. Breathe. Pause. Think about where I am, my time & place where my feet are resting. The now of life. Consider my day as it is. Believe. Have hope. Offer up my loss, anxiety, frustration.... and breathe. Having a chronic illness means not everything gets done, but still celebrate .... life.

Merry ... peace... pause ... Christmas,
    Corrine

Here is a link that might be useful: encouraging words

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

This week is a bit of a blur with a lot of commitments, so I didn't post when I opened up some lovely Christmas cards from FOTESS members, but I sure have enjoyed them since Wednesday.

Thanks Katie ...for the sweet note wishing me quiet peaceful moments & CD. My hubby has enjoyed it most of all & many were new songs. He's tried to explain Santa Baby to our 18 yr old son after listening to a bit of it, but it didn't resonate. Generation gap for sure!

Thanks Shirley ... for sharing your creative talents. Your card & magnet are beautiful. The butterfly photo catches my eye reminding me of warmer days every time I open the frig. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks Annie ... for your card with Mary & baby Jesus, my favorite image of Christmas. So sweet to be reminded of a mother's perfect love. Silent Night is my favorite carol. Thanks for the surprise inside with confetti & 10 seed bags. I almost dropped it in the compost on top of coffee grounds instead of the trash, but caught myself. I have both containers side by side & do the opposite sometimes. :o) Made me laugh at myself a bit, which is good!

Taking some time today to rest & hopefully will get cards sent out to my list of FOTESS members so you will receive before the new year. I regret I didn't get them done before this past week of overdrive activities. Should be slowing down now with just a few more Christmas events and with the final one here with our grown children, so will be easy compared to the others!

Merry Christmas,
    Corrine

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got a really pretty card from Vina today, beautiful kids, Vina! Thank you!

Hi Beth, nice to "see" ya! Hope all is well!

Corrine, I'm taking that first quote in to work and posting it on everyone's desk. In all sincerity, thank you.
    BTW-we have until the end of the year to send our Season's Greetings!

And just in case I don't come back on today:
    Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good Morning and Happy Day After Christmas! I hope everyone had a nice day yesterday!

Still no snow here; supposed to be some bad storms coming thro tho. Well, back to work!
    Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    11 years ago

Shirley, "blizzard" conditions here although I don't know why. We had more blowing than snow but I have seen it a lot worse. The roads are icy but people just have to remember to slow down.

We are suppose to head up to Michigan tomorrow to see my mom but not sure. We will have to see how conditions are.

Margo

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

We had a White Christmas. We got a few inches of snow before Christmas and a skiff of snow on Christmas day and then sun. I expected Bing to start singing. However, my 12-year-old woke us up Christmas morning with a rendition of Jingle Bells on her saxophone! She sounded good.
    I love being with family. I remember the years I missed Thanksgiving or special events and how painful that was. I cherish every minute.
    We had the big family Christmas present swap. I took 3 bags of double tulips and it took every trick in the book, but I got them back! We had so much fun stealing gifts from each other. My tulips turned out to be a real draw. Then my crazy, fun aunt took a couple bags out of my box and put them in her planter. She said, "Sorry, they're planted. You'll have to leave them here." I said, "That's okay, I"ll just take the King Tut grass growing int he container!" We are both plant lovers and it showed!
    My girls received money and gift cards and they can't wait to get to the mall. I'm dreading it. Oh well!
    Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We finally got snow! I know, I know, but it is just so pretty! And timely.

Margo, I hope you aren't on the road anywhere tonight. The snow started about 11am, and hasn't quit yet. When I went home for lunch all the intersections were frozen, cars sliding every which way! For all the ruckus it caused, I think we only got about 2 inches, maybe 3. Lots of wind tho.

Heidi, your Christmas sounds like it was great! We used to do the swap thing.

Well, Minney plays tonight, better get the dishes done so I can watch.
    Stay safe tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

I do hope all the FOTESSERS had a grand time yesterday.
    Be well...be happy...be safe.

No snow in my neck of the woods but it is a bit nippy...I like it for a change! It is 4:30pm and 46 degrees...the temp is supposed to go down to 32 tonight. So much for shorts and flip flops. We have a big fire going in the pit outside...smells so good. I feel like cooking a weenie dog....but I won't because I am sick of food...LOL!

Happy Thursday to all!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the snow didn't last all that long. It was a beautiful day here today, bright and sunshiny, big clumps of snow left here and there, but otherwise melted. With this snowfall, we have already had 99% more snow already this year than the whole of last year-what a hoot!

Happy Thursday, Annie!

Well, I think once Corrine has mailed her Season's Greetings, this swap will be complete! But remember, Corrine, you still have until the end of the month, or year, I guess you could say! And remember to post here when you receive your Greetings!
    Have a great Friday, everyone!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

The month and the year are winding down. Watch for our January Swap which I'll be posting soon. Don't worry - once again, it's simple!
    Shirley, thanks for your wonderful idea for the month of December. We all had fun with it.
    Jeanne

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Margo and Shirley for the cards :) I didn't sign up for this swap as I was too busy and didn't really pay attention to what was goin on around this time period and rarely even got on the computer...but it was a nice surprise to receive the cards :))thanks so much Shirley for the card with the magnet...the magnet went straight to my fridge!! ..thanks Margo for the card with the winnie pooh stickers (I'm a kid at heart and love Disney) and the echinacea paradoxa seeds! ...ladies you made my day when i got these in the mail and knew ya'll were thinking about me even tho I haven't been too active and talkative here...thanks so much for your friendship

I so love this group!, Dianne

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

I don't wanta leave out Michelle!!! I was just looking to see which thread to post the thank you to...I got a sweet Christmas card from Michelle also that I really wasn't expecting...

This is really an amazing group of women that I'm proud to be a part of :) Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and wishing you all a Happy New Year in advance, Dianne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dianne, glad you enjoyed the Greetings and the surprizes! We hope to see more of you in the coming year!

Came home yesterday with a bit of a chill, laid down and wrapped up in the afghan to get warm and woke up about 2 this morning! Good Grief! Feeling VERY rested!

Jeanne has our January swap up and running, hope to see lots of our members joining in over there!

This swap will "officially" end on the 31st but you can continue to post here as you receive your Greetings. You can post them on the January swap too.

I'm trying to think of a way to get out of going for groceries today. Wish me luck!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just stopping by to wish all our members a Blessed New Year filled with peace and love!

I also wanted to thank everyone who joined in and sent out Season's Greetings for this swap. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, at a very busy time of year!

See ya all next year!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Thank you Shirley for once again hosting a very special (and simple) swap.

Best wishes to my fellow FOTESSERS for a healthy, happy and safe 2013. CHEERS!

Annie

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Yesterday, I received Seasons Greeting from Corrine. Thank you so much for the lovely card and Sweet Pea seeds.

Wishing you a beautiful and safe 2013.

Annie