Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New: Dec. FOTESS Season's Greetings Swap!

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 20:01

Hi Everyone and welcome to the FOTESS SEASON'S GREETINGS swap!

FOTESS is a group that requires membership. If you are not currently a member, contact either Jeanne or myself to find out more about joining our group. We emphasize being friendly to the earth by sharing seeds, recycling, upcycling and sharing things we have read and enjoyed.

With all the other big swaps going on this month, we're going to keep our December swap simple.
No, really, VERY SIMPLE!

When you sign up, you will be sending, you guessed it!, Season's Greetings to 5 other FOTESS members. A Christmas/Seasonal card. And that's it!

We have between 20-25 members in FOTESS. Once sign-ups are over, I will email each participant 5 names from our membership list. PLEASE KEEP THESE NAMES SECRET! If you need addresses, please contact Jeanne or I. Post here when you mail out (NO NAMES PLEASE!) and post when you receive and from who.

Now, if you would like to include a SMALL gift, that's fine, BUT...THE GIFT MUST BE SMALL ENOUGH TO ALLOW YOU TO STILL USE ONE FOREVER/42 CENT STAMP TO MAIL OUT! I hope that is clear enough! Some examples could be: 1 pk seeds, seed envies, gift tags, a handwritten note/drawing, Christmas stickers, etc. But remember, gifts are optional.

And this is really important: WRITE "FOTESS" OR "FRIENDS OF THE EARTH" ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARDS IN BIG BOLD LETTERS TO AVOID CONFUSION WITH OTHER SWAPS!

You will have until Dec. 9th to sign up and you will have until the end of the month to mail out.

Anybody out there feel like writing a few more Christmas/Holiday cards? Please join us!

And may I be the first to wish you "SEASON'S GREETINGS!"
Shirley!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New: Dec. FOTESS Season's Greetings Swap!

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 18:40

I was convinced that I would not be able to handle a swap this month, because of how crazy life gets in December. But, I love EASY! So -
COUNT ME IN!

Shirley, if no one else joins, shall we send each other 5 cards? LOL

Katie

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 19:49

Sounds like a game plan to me, Katie! Although we'd have a problem keeping the names secret! We could do all of next year's holiday cards and get that much out of the way for next year!

Seriously, I think we'll get more players! And welcome to the swap, Katie!

It was very foggy here today, all day, which is really unusual. And it got up to 57! Good grief, are we headed for another winter like last year? Not that I'm complaining!

I started to get my Christmas decorations out today and got sidetracked by my wintersowing jugs, half of which need holes drilled. Glad I'm not doing as much this year!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

I'll sign up, too. Can't let Katie and Shirley be the only ones to have fun in December!
Jeanne

o

Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 21:39

Ok, then: 2 cards for Shirley, 2 cards for Jeanne, and I'll send one to myself.

K

o

Hello
I would like to play.
Maybe we will get a few more.
Michelle

o

I'm in! This looks like so much fun! I won't have to make sure I have a flat rate box around when I need it. Let's do it!
Heidi

o

Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 22:36

All right! Katie, you can scrap that 2nd game plan!

Welcome Jeanne, Michelle and Heidi! I'm glad you're joining in this month. And you're right, Heidi, no boxes; also no DC#s, no posting partners - see, folks, I can be simple when I put my mind to it!

Oh dear, maybe I should rephrase that.

In other news (she said, changing the subject very quickly), I thought Park's seeds were going out of business? I got a catalogue from them today, so apparently they aren't. Drat these people, I thought I was done with seed lists/buying, but they have 5-6 colors of the Janie marigolds I like! And some other seeds too. You know, the ones I hadn't realized I REALLY need?

Does it ever end?
Shirley!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 23:04

Simple enough that I can participate this month :o) Corrine

o

FOTESSERS, I want to play, I want to play. I think I can handle 5 cards this month....nice and simple. I just realized I never even checked in with you guys this past November. I hope you all enjoyed a very wonderful November and Thanksgiving!

Annie

o

Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 9:13

Good Morning!

Welcome back, Annie! Missed ya last month!

And Corrine is back too! Nice to have you join in. Is your camp all shut down for the winter?

It really looks like it's going to snow here today. Maybe that will kick my Christmas spirit up to where it belongs!

Have a great day All!
Shirley!

o

Seasons Greetings and I am in!!!!!!

o

Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 20:28

Hi Margo, and Season's Greetings to you too! Welcome to the swap!

Long, slow day here today; had a bit of that tummy bug, but thankfully it's all gone now. Don't need to be sick!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Have any of you heard of Listia? A fellow seed swapper turned me onto it. Lots of people have seeds there.
It's a website where people put up things for auction. The premise is to give it away instead of throw it away. You earn points when people bid on your items and then spend your points on their items. There are 100s of seeds, bulbs, plants. You might have to pay a little postage, but other shipping is free. You might check it out: Home & Garden, Seeds & Bulbs Here's a link.

http://www.listia.com/auction
Heidi

o

Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 11:31

Heidi, that was an interesting website! I had never heard of it. The books section is really good too!

Beautiful day here today, up in the high 40s. Have to make a run to Staples and maybe some grocery shopping. Altho...I do have a few strands of spaghetti left, so it isn't dire yet!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 18:11

Shirley asked if camp was shut down for winter, so I wanted to explain. There are few days that camp is actually closed right around Christmas, but there are only a few days when all the guests have gone home on Sunday evenings during the school year until Monday morning again.

All of camp is a non profit run business with a board of directors as well as volunteer & paid staff. We offer scholarships for those who can't pay all of the camp fees. We're open to mainstreaming any disability as long as we can safely care for them. Many people have donated over the years to make it what it is today. We work here because we care about the mission of providing camp to kids, families, & adults who need a break from the muck of life and time to relate with God. Some who came to camp as a kid and were changed now volunteer, donate, or are employed full time giving of themselves while living right on camp like we do.

We have a lot of different activities in different buildings spread out a bit, so we can accommodate around 800 overnight if needed. We're not always full, but we usually have some type of guest here in our facilities. If we were full that would be a huge blessing and we could hire more staff to serve them.

Indoor pool with swimming lessons for all ages along with open swims for families.
Two different rooms in our indoor gym with climbing wall, basketball, volleyball, & kids' games all at the same time, so both are huge!
Two covered arenas for horseback riding lessons no matter the rain & darkness since they're lighted.
Before & after school daycare for school age kids at camp as well as at an elementary school where I currently spend my afternoon/evenings.
Private high school leases some of our buildings for school + sports every week of the school year.

Then we have overnight camps & rentals for church or school groups in 4 different building clusters plus a camp in the mountains for snow retreats with various buildings, indoor climbing wall, outdoor sledding hill, etc. We were there last weekend for our 1st annual Christmas Tree Family Camp. Yes, we got permits & paid our $10 to cut trees under 12 feet from the US Forest Service. We had my brother's grandchildren with us, so they were delighted with the snow & didn't really care about finding a tree. Our son was the one who hiked up the snowy forested slope to cut a tree & back down to the car on the side of the primitive logging road.

Hope that explains what we do a bit more here at Camp Berachah in Auburn, WA.

Corrine

o

Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 21:18

Corrine, thanks for the info! No wonder you are always so busy! Your camp sounds like a great place, doing great things! The Christmas Tree Family Camp sounds like it was lots of fun; funny how kids have a good time doing the opposite of what was planned!

Four more days to sign up; hope to see some more of our members.

My youngest granddaughter is pondering her letter to Santa Claus; her mom hopes she makes up her mind soon, so they can get it "mailed" in time!

Talk to ya all later,
Shirley!

o

Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 21:05

Hey Everybody!
I hope everyone had a good day!

A friend and I went out tonight to get shots of the Christmas lights around the neighborhood, but ended up downtown taking pics off the Monroe Street bridge. Thought you might like to see one of my better shots. I didn't get many! Man, was it cold!
Talk to ya later!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 21:30

Season's Greetings All!

Went out again tonight, got some good shots of the Christmas lights in the neighborhood. Some of the lights were really creatively set up. Really pretty!

We have two more days to sign up and then I will be emailing names to everyone. Hope you all have your pens and pencils handy!
Talk to ya tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Nice picture Shirley. We have a house near here that has lights on their house, bushes, and trees that are computerized to go along with music that you tune in on local radio station. It was started two years ago by a 12 year old who lives in the house. It is amazing.

Margo

o

Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 23:22

Nice night shot, Shirley!
Looking forward to finding out who I get to send to!
And Yay, it's the weekend finally.

Katie

o

OK, newbie here. What does FOTESS stand for? :-)

o

hi all
can someone send me the address list again, I cant find mine on the computer.
thanks
michelle

o

Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 10:11

Good Morning All!
Michelle, I'll email your addresses to you along with your names. Jeanne and I are trying to whip the membership list into shape and it would just be easier to do it this way.

Anyone else need addresses?

csmartyonline - FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps. We emphasize seeds, reycycling, upcycling,reading and keeping it simple! Our group started a little over a year ago and membership is required. If interested, contact Jeanne or I. We love to welcome new members, AND having said that...!!

Would you all please welcome new member kelli9699/Kelli? Kelli will be on site here shortly to tell us all about herself, and she's in time to join the Dec. swap, if she wants!
Kelli, welcome to Friends of the Earth!

Off to Staples, one more time! I should buy stock in the company!
Shirley!

o

Hi! Add my name to the list, please! Thanks

o

Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 14:05

Back from Staples!

Canfan, FOTESS is a group that requires membership, please contact me or sandlapper_rose/Jeanne if you would like to join!

LUNCH!!
Shirley!

o

I would love to join the Dec swap. Thank you for allowing me to join the group. I have been gardening for ten plus years or so. I traded a lot back in 2003-2005 when I live somewhere that I had huge gardens. I moved and having done so and kids with activities I didn't have as much time. But, I have moved again and have a huge yard again that is a blank slate, actually very over grown. I am looking forward to making new gardens and a huge vegetable garden next year. We are a blended family with five teenagers so they are learning but also very aware of the mark that we are leaving on our environment. We recycle as much as we can at home. Saving aluminum cans for extra change at home. We also have a small remodeling company where we recycle as much of that debris as possible also. Just this morning we went to the recycling center with old mechanicals that we have replaced on jobs and over 50 lbs of other wiring and piping from jobs. I look forward to learning and sharing more ways to recycle and especially upcycle from my new friends. Thank you again.

o

Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 20:11

Kelli, glad you could join us for the Card swap! Any questions? Just ask!

One more day to sign-up! I'll start emailing names tomorrow around 6 pm.

I'm planning on setting up my Christmas tree tomorrow. Wish me luck! It always takes me FOREVER! Has anyone else got their tree up yet?

What do you think of sharing pics of our Christmas trees?

Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Welcome, Kelli! So happy to have you in our group.

My Christmas tree is now decorated so I can post a picture once I take one. We went to LED lights on our tree this year. So far, so good.
That's not to say all of the decotations are up though... I decorate a LOT - mostly indoors though. The only area that gets decorated outdoors is our small front porch.

Jeanne

o

Hello Kelli and welcome to the group.

Jeanne, we have our tree up and used the LED lights this year too. They look pretty nice. The tree has been up since Thanksgiving weekend but only the lights are on it so far. I just haven't decorated anything yet. My hubby has done the decorating outside and the occasional item inside. I feel bad because a few things I have walked right by and not noticed. Now he plays a game to see if I notice the new decoration of the day. We are picking up our son from college on Wednesday and he is going to help me get the decorating done on Thursday. I did get my Christmas cards for friends and family done yesterday and tomorrow I am starting gift wrapping. After the decorating gets done, then it is time for candy to be made. Oh the jobs, I mean joys of the holidays. LOL

Margo

o

Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 17:27

Great idea to share photos of Christmas trees. We have it, but it's not inside yet & decorated since we've not had coordinating schedules lately. Our next chance is Wed. evening, so I hope it works out.

My most recent address list is from April 2012, so if you have updated list, please send to me also.

Corrine

o

Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 18:14

Corrine, I think April was the last time Jeanne updated the list. Maybe she will chime in on this, but I think that was it.

My tree is half up. Shouldn't the branches be facing downward, instead of straight up? Just wondering!

Well, sign-ups are officially over! Everybody ready to start mailing some Season's Greetings? I'll start emailing your names as soon as I'm done here, but first some reminders.
1. PLEASE POST HERE WHEN YOU GET YOUR EMAIL.
2. PLEASE KEEP YOUR NAMES SECRET!!
3. IF YOU NEED ADDRESSES, PLEASE CONTACT JEANNE OR I, DON'T ASK ON SITE.
4. REMEMBER TO WRITE "FOTESS" OR "FRIENDS OF THE EARTH" ON THE BACKS OF YOUR ENVELOPES.
5. GIFTS ARE OPTIONAL, VERY OPTIONAL!

I'm going to email through Gardenweb. Please post here that you received, or didn't receive. This may take a while. If you haven't received your names by 9, please let me know.

Off to email!
Shirley!

o

It seems my address list needs update. Could you send me a new one please. thanks Margo

o

Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 19:29

Welcome to FOTESS, Kelli! Glad to have you join us.

Got my email from Shirley!

We are decorating the tree this evening. I, too, bought new tree lights this year and I went with the warm white LED lights. I like them! One more strand of lights to go, then the ornaments. I already have 3 gifts wrapped, too. I don't know what's come over me, being so ahead of the game this year.

Yesterday my husband went duck hunting (while I slept in for the first time in forever). Brought home some ducks and so I made duck & tasso gumbo for supper. Ooooooh-eeeeee, c'est si bon!

Katie

o

Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 9:04

Good Morning!
Katie, that gumbo sounds good!

Margo, which addresses do you need? Let me know, I'll email them out to you.

Has everyone received their names? Anyone need addresses? Questions/concerns? Just let me know!

Have a good day,
Shirley!

o

Shirley, Katie was kind enough to send me a list of current addresses. Thanks Katie.

Margo

o

Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 12:26

Received my list of whom to send cards. Thanks, Shirley.
Also received June's list of members. Thanks, Katie.

I heard there is snow in the midwest and I bet it is pretty. We a typical Northwest December morning with drizzle and light fog.

Corrine

o

Shirley,

I received my five names via GW mail.

Thanks so much!

Annie

o

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes.

I received my addresses.

We have our outside lights up. We haven't got our tree up yet, but hopefully tomorrow. The family is asking when I will start baking. I have a list of Christmas cookies that I only make for Christmas and they are anxiously waiting.

Have a great day!

o

My cards are sealed and ready to go in the mail... and my lips are sealed, too!
Thanks to those who have shared addresses. Updating our membership list is definitely on my "to do" list!
Jeanne

o

Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 21:15

Alright, we got the tree done so I guess I'll be first to post a pic. It was a multi-day process.
And that's Woolie in front of it, our 30 lbs. wonder dog (you wonder what's in him). Best dog ever, in case anyone was wondering.

whew, those new LED lights are BRIGHT!

Katie

o

I'm a day late and a dollar short...
Beautiful tree! I love it!
Yes, I got my names. I haven't checked to make sure I have the addresses. It's on my list of "to do".
Welcome Kelli!
Corrine-thanks for the camp update. Wow! I had no idea how big it was and how all-encompassing. Will you post a pic or two? Did you do the vining seeds that grew up the poles--or was that next year? Time gets away from me.
Heidi

o

Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 22:25

Great, everyone has checked in! The Season's Greetings should be flying soon! Remember, you have until the end of the month to mail out. No stressing, folks!

Your tree is very pretty, Katie! Thanks for sharing! Woolie, what a great name!

I battled my tree most of yesterday and finally got it set up last evening. Took an overnite break and put the lights on this morning - yet another battle, with the cats joining in this time. I'm not sure why it was so hard this year. In any event, it's up and decorated. I'll post a picture soon.

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

hello
I got my names and address, my cards will be on their way today.

It's begining to look alot like christmas.
everywhere I go.....

o

Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 15:56

OOPS! Sorry, Michelle, thought you had already posted!

I'm off to my first Holiday gathering tonight, but just wanted to stop by and wish a belated Happy Birthday to Hibiscusfan/Suzanne and gardenofeden/Rena'! Sorry, ladies, hope your B-days were just great!

We had snow flurries here this morning. It was kind of pretty; the sun was shining at the same time. Oh, well, tis the season!

Season's Greetings All!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 19:16

Just checking in! My cards will be going out Friday or Saturday. Put the finishing touches on them today.

I'm trying to get ready for wintersowing. Have my 4 seeds picked out for the Solstice, and need to finish prepping my milk jugs by then. I go back to work on the 17th, so I'm trying to get everything done before then. Christmas included. Wish me luck!

Is anyone else wintersowing this year? I'm not doing very many perennials, want to wait and see how my WSed Ps from the past two years grow, before I add anymore. Petunias and Pansies are first on the list for this year!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 21:38

Thought I'd pop in to say hello & share one of my favorite holiday traditions -

Every year since I can remember, I have a tradition of playing Christmas music as soon as I start decorating, which I always start with the lights on the tree. And *always* the first song to be played: O Tannebaum by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. You know the one... it's from the Charlie Brown Christmas album. No Christmas is complete without it!

If I had to make a list of my top 5 favorite things about the holidays, it would be (in no particular order):
1. the music
2. the gathering with family & friends
3. the smell & sight of the decorated, live tree
4. the chance of a winter wonderland (SNOW!)
5. the food

How about y'all?

Ok, off to address some cards!

Merry Christmahannukwanzaa!
Katie

o

Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 22:14

Katie, the music does it for me too! My favortite Christmas albums are Boney M's Christmas Time, and Martina McBride's White Christmas. Singles include Blue Christmas by Elvis, Do They Know Its Christmas by Bandaid, Christmas Canon by TSO and Joy to the World by the Twelve Girls Band. Oddly enough, I don't care for Willie Nelson's Christmas Albums. Hero tho he is, I just can't associate him with Christmas.
I love the baking too, and making gifts. Last Christmas, with Tabs and MyrnD running hither and yon was very special.

It's a beautiful time of year!

I'm trying to get a pic of Vinnie and Willie under the tree; if and when I get it, it will be posted!
Shirley!

o

I'm still 6 years old at heart--I love the presents! But I love giving the presents and seeing if people are as excited as I am. It's hard to leave them under the tree. I want to give them away now and let them open them.

One family tradition is to take a gift and we draw numbers, steal from each other. One year I wrapped up a briefcase. That is, a pair of men's underwear with marker BRIEF CASE on the back. Note attached: New Wedgie Brand Briefcase. Perfect for that look and it's going green--we're reusing. Includes a special pocket for your phone.

I noticed this year I like the 'old time' xmas music. I like the hymns, Bing Crosby. I'm 43...so what's wrong with me? lol I heard some country guy croon a xmas song and he ruined it. Red neck coon dogs howling out white christmas would have been more soothing.

My daughter gave me her list and it is all books. She's 16. I ordered online and they are coming in the mail. It's fun to wrap them as they come and stash them under the tree. She really wants to order them herself now, but I told her she can't because I gave the list to all the relatives. A white lie, but she better not DARE order them herself 2 weeks before xmas!

Confession: I'm a tape junkie. For those of you getting cards from me...I have this fear the USPS is going to rip open my cards, read them and deliver them shredded. So my apologies...you'll have to get out your pocketknife to open them (another family tradition on my dad's side-everyone opens with a knife-no wild tearing).

Can't wait to see the Family Cat Photo Shirley!

Heidi

o

Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 21:28

Heidi, the cats are NOT co-operating! And, my brother's coon dogs howl alot, not necessarily Christmas carols, tho!

Got my milk jugs all prepped today, all ready for Dec. 21st. I'm going to WS pansies, petunias, joe pye weed, rudbeckia hirta, astilbe chinensis, heuchera, and gaillardia on the Solstice, among other things! I really enjoy WSing, can't wait to get started!

One of our local churches is playing Christmas music, must be on a loudspeaker type of system, really beautiful to listen to, when out and about!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 21:43

Well, since Heidi is making confessions....
I unintentionally made my cards too heavy. I'm blaming the card & envelope manufacturers for making them too heavy, and thus causing a total card weight of 1.15 oz. It was completely accidental - - I promise!!

And Shirley, I meant to remark on your question of winter sowing. I have already gotten started. Before leaving for the Thanksgiving holidays, I got these beasts in some pots. Aren't they the biggest acorns you've ever seen?! They are bur oak acorns.

o

Not tired yet so thought I would stop in and say hi. The tree is almost decorated. Started this afternoon but we put up a lot of decorations so tired before it was complete. Of course, the family wants to help and once you get started, you suddenly realize they have all disappeared. It was fun while it lasted. I will post a pic when it is all done.

I love the gathering of all the kids
The smells of Christmas
The finding of the perfect gift
The tree and house all decorated in and out
The Gardenweb swaps :)

Have also been busy making the holiday candy. I am about 1/2 done. The presents are about done as well so relaxing is in the near future.

Margo

o

Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 12:11

Whoa, Katie! How big does the tree get?

Margo, the old "disappearing kid act", sounds familiar! What kind of candy? I haven't made candy in years!

I received some Season's Greetings from Jeanne today! A very pretty card with a gift tag that she upcycled from an old Christmas card! Thank you, Jeanne!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Happy Friday!!
My Season Greeting have started their journey today!!!

Finally, my tree is decorated and the baking will start tomorrow. My family is very anxious for all the cookies and candies.

This is the first winter in awhile that I am going to winter sow seeds. I have 2 acres that need to be cleaned up and filled in the spring. I am winter sowing perennials and annuals, but also planning a huge vegetable garden. I know it is a little late to start but I was reading a forum the other day about greenhouses, which I don't have....yet. But, I do have a three season room that I want to try starting so winter greens in boxes. Anyone have much luck doing so?

Have a great weekend!!!
Kelli

o

Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 15:13

Please say some prayers for the people in Newtown, Connecticut.
Shirley

o

Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 14:26

I am still stunned over what happened in Connecticut yesterday. And while I am praying for all the families in Newtown, CT, I have to admit that my heart and thoughts, yesterday, were mostly with my 4 year old granddaughter who goes happily off to pre-school 3 days a week.
The sense of helplessness is terrible.

I got my Season's Greetings out today, as I see Katie and Kelli have too. Don't panic, everyone else, we have until the end of the month to mail out.

And, some happy news - we get to welcome two, count em', two new members to Friends of the Earth!
Please welcome canfan/Peggy to the group. Margo has agreed to be her sponsor.
And would you please welcome l1oness/Mandy, who has Heidi as her sponsor.
Ladies, welcome to the group - please come on site and tell us something about yourselves!
Margo and Heidi, thanks for agreeing to sponsor our new members!

Does that make 3 new members in December? Whoa, yes! How great is that!

I think I made my last trip to Staples today, for the season. Time will tell.
Shirley

o

Hello! I'm Mandy and I love the philosophy of the group. Over the last couple of years I've really started expanding my garden, and learning how to grow from seed, save and share seed, and re-use/re-purpose items for the garden. I'm looking forward to learning/sharing with this group. I'm a huge tomato gardener, and veggie gardener, and I'm sure I'll be sharing lots of those types of seeds with the group. :)

Thank you for allowing me to join - and thank you Heidi for agreeing to sponsor me!

Mandy

o

Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 15:16

Wow, 3 new members in one month?! That's great! Welcome, Peggy and Mandy. I'm looking forward to reading more about yourselves. And thanks to the sponsors, Margo and Heidi!

Regarding the news from Newtown, CT - I am stunned, too. This entire year has been crazy with the random shootings, but this one at an elementary school is beyond belief. I can't even imagine how the families and the community are coping with it.

Oh, the only reason why I got my cards out early is because I will be going out of town for the holidays Dec. 22 through the new year (is anyone surprised? LOL).

Yesterday I received 2 cards -
Michelle sent a lovely homemade card. It is so crafty and glittery :) I'm taking notes for my next creative streak, when I have more time. Thanks so much, Michelle! It's going on the hearth with the rest of the cards.

Margo also sent a nice snowflake card and also enclosed some chocolate joe pye weed seeds. Super excited about growing this native in the spring! The butterflies will be excited, too!

Katie

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 9:55

Hi, Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday! I seem to have started 5-6 different cleaning projects - hopefully will get most of them done today!

IMPORTANT REMINDER: PLEASE WRITE "FOTESS" OR "FRIENDS OF THE EARTH" ON THE BACKS OF YOUR ENVELOPES!

I still haven't been able to get a picture of the tree with the cats. This is getting silly.

Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 10:23

Shirley, just sprinkle some catnip on the floor in front of the tree. Or a pack of anise hyssop / agastache seeds. Works just as well as catnip on my cat, as evidenced by the shredded package he once left for me to find!

o

Happy Sunday!

Mandy, Kelli and Peggy, welcome to FOTESS! Looking forward to "FOTESSING" with each of you! Enjoy and have fun!

Happy belated birthday to Suzanne and Rene'!!!!

My FOTESS Christmas cards have been sent.....Merry Christmas to all.

I do love Christmas music. I still listen to the older stuff Bing Crosby, Perry Como and traditional music. And I still so enjoy The Carpenters....I think there big Christmas album was released late 70's. Great stuff! Most of the newer Christmas music, I just can not get into. In the last several years, a few new ones are pretty darn special..."Grown up Christmas List" (Streisand does a lovely version, Amy Grant and a few others) and "God Bless Us Everyone" by Celine Dion.

I started a new tradition in 2003 after my Mom went to the great party in the sky. She was laid to rest at a beautiful Catholic Cemetary in the canyon about 25 minutes from our home. Every December, I along with my German Shepherd(s)put up a beautiful tall fresh Christmas tree and, of course, decorate the heck out of it. I leave her favorite things, Snicker bars and a triple Martini with two olives. This year my Dad joined my Mom at the great party in the sky. And yesterday was the day to put up the Christmas tree. My Dad needed his favorite things to...chocolate kisses and Chardonnay wine. So many people are at this beautiful cemetary putting up Christmas trees, decorations, playing Christmas music and celebrating life. It is so festive but simple at the same time. I love doing this. It is "feel good" and "happy" and honors my Mom and now my Dad. Before I leave, I sit on the granite bench that my Dad had made. The bench holds a family picture from 2002,(children, grandchildren, spouses, Mom and Dad) from my Mom and Dads 50th wedding anniversary. I then toast them, with a cocktail, of course.

After my husbands Mom died in 2005, we to started this tradition. She is at the same cemetary, so across the beautiful grounds we go and hence another tree comes to life.

And Fridays tragedy in CT., I am at a loss for words still.
There are no words. God Bless everyone.

Annie

o

A big holiday welcome to our new members! Also, thanks to their sponsors. Sorry I haven't gotten here more often this month - like everyone, there is just so much going on! I hope my assigned members received their Christmas cards. They were mailed out the same day that I mailed the card to Shirley, so it seems like they should have been received by now.
So nice to read about the special things you do for the holidays. I don't have my camera available now; but when I do, I will post a picture of my tree.
I have next month's swap planned and hope to see many of you because it will be fun!
Jeanne

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 19:18

Annie, you brought tears to my eyes, for real. What a beautiful tradition. My mom passed two years ago and one of the memories I have of her at Christmas is kind of funny. She didn't drink, but every Christmas Eve, at my house, after we got the kids to bed, we would share a beer! She had half in a glass and I got the bottle. She thought it was so risque!

And I remember how happy she was that we were able to give our kids more presents under the tree, than she was ever able to give us. I just hope I gave my kids the same kind of "non-material" things that she gave us, in the same abundance.

Okay, onward! Katie, I have to tell ya that your idea for getting the cats to pose under the tree was a dismal failure! They get their "treat" around lunch time, in the kitchen, where their food bowls are. So, tonight, when I put the treat on a paper towel under the tree, they just kept running out to the kitchen! Talk about Pavlov's dog!
In any event both cats are in this picture, but Vinnie is hiding under the tree skirt again!
PS-I love a tree you can see straight thro, helps you to keep up with weather conditions!

o

Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 8:56

Annie, your post made me tear up, too. What a wonderful tradition.

Love the photo, Shirley! Aren't pets funny?!

Still waiting to see others' tree photos :)

Have a great week, ladies!
Katie

o

Good morning everyone!! I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. I seemed to get super busy all at once. And just when things started to slow...the kids get the FLU! :(

I just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS! and
a special thank you to Jeanne for the beautiful Christmas card. It came at the most perfect time! and made my whole day.
THANK YOU!

Hope to join you all in January!
vina

o

I'd like to send a thank you to Margo for the very elegant card and cumin seeds. Can't wait to start them.
I'd also like to wish everyone a happy & safe holiday! Best wishes~
Janine

o

I did not look at this swap at the beginning because I was over committed and now I feel like a dufus.

I got a very beautiful card today from Kelli, along with Nicotiana sylvestris seeds. Thank you so much Kelli, for both!

Thunderstorms are going to put me off the computer right now, which does not seem much like Christmas. Take care everyone and Happy Holidays to all of FOTESS.
Alana

o

Received a pretty card from Kelli today and it contained some nicotiana seeds. Thank you Kelli. I am going to look these up to see what beauty they will add to my garden.

I received a beautiful handmade card from Heidi and she made it so it can even be 3D. Thank you Heidi.

Shirley sent me a beautiful handmade card along with a handmade magnet. How clever!!! Love it. Thank you Shirley.

It was a very nice trip to the mailbox. Now the plan is to finish the tree tonight and get a picture posted.

Margo

o

Kelli, thank you for the nicotania seeds. I don't remember where I first read the name and googled it, but I've wanted to try it. Thank you so much! Lovely card, too. So 3-D! Just my kind! This one is going up right beside my computer so I can see it.
Heidi

o

Margo, thank you for the Gaillardia/Blanketflower. It's my favorite flower and you sent Moxie & Oranges/Lemons. Also Crazy Daisy! Just for the perfect crazy woman to plant! Love it! Heidi

o

Here is the Christmas tree shot. (Hope it works out). We finally finished it although the train around it is still in the works.

Margo

o
RE:: Dec. FOTESS Season's Greetings Swap!

Here is the tree I put in the kitchen. I love the Pillsbury Doughboy so decided to use the ornaments I had to make a kitchen tree.

Margo

o

Love the trees! I have a small tree I put in my dining room that I decorate with gingerbread lights and ornaments so the Pillsbury Dough Boy would fit right in! LOL

I received cards from Heidi and Kelli today. Thanks so much. Both are lovely and I think Heidi made her card and the envelope for it and it's so creative! Kelli sent Nicotiana seeds. You know I never grew those before this past summer and they did well for me - however, some insect must love the leaves because the plant was leafless several times during the summer, but kept blooming anyway -my kind of plant!

Jeanne

o

Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 22:44

Really pretty trees, Margo! Love the Doughboys! Perfect for a kitchen!
My kind too, Jeanne!
Nice to hear from you, Janine!
Hey, Vina, good to hear from you!
Alana, please don't feel like a dufus, okay!?
Season's Greetings Heidi and Kelli!

Well, need to go wrap some more presents and get to bed.
Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Good Afternoon All
Just wanted to stop by to say thank you to Margo and Shirley for their lovely cards and Holiday wishes.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Kelli

o

I just wanted to pop in and tell everyone THANK YOU for the lovely cards! I have received 3 or 4...I've lost count because the kids hang them up on our garland as soon as they arrive. They are soooo excited to get Christmas cards in the, regardless of whose name is on the envie! LoL! I barely have time to register who they're from- I know I've received one from Jeanne & Michelle & Shirley (I believe there was someone else, too?), but they are up on our wall and look wonderful.
Thank you all! We really needed the touch of happiness right now. :)
Hugs,
Melissa

o

Today I received two beautiful "FOTESS" cards.
Shirley sent a stunning card with her original photography-the same photo that the calender she sent me in a previous swap is turned to this month. The Calender is over my desk and has received several compliments. The card is just as lovely. Inside was a FOTESS refrigerator magnet with a butterfly photo on it-so pretty!
Thank you!!

From Heidi I received another handmade card. The envelope was almost too pretty to open and I made sure I admired it plenty before I opened it. Inside was a very creative "Garden of Alana" card with a bouquet of black daisies inside. I love it! Thank you!

Alana

o

I love this kind of Christmas...when you get little pieces of it in the mail and it lasts all month!

Ann-canyonwind-thank you for the poppies. I have 3 goals this year: 1. poppies 2. sunflowers 3. red perennials. I know...it's a lifelong goal! I can't get poppies to grow and I know it's me because other people in town do it. I'm going to TRY TRY TRY!

Shirley-sjc-I love the butterfly magnet. Looks like you made it which makes it even more special. Is that one of your famous photos? And the card was gorgeous, too! Do you grow plants and create your own ink for all that printing? (I have a penchant for printing and making things, too. Today I spent hours driving to the next town, buying new cartridges and trying out 3 printers we have at home. One printer said it only recognized the black cartridge. Didn't even know a color cartridge was in there. The next printer said the color cartridge was a forgery--it's not! I paid full price for a name brand cartridge! The computer says it can't connect to the third printer so it doesn't matter if the cartridges work or not. I have 2 old cartridges that don't match anything! Oh...computers are great when they work! ha)

Suzanne-hibiscusfan-sent me 3 kinds of daisies. Oh, I forgot I have a dream of several kinds of daisies, too. Is this when your eyes get bigger than your Santa dream? ha

My daughters (16 & 12) were talking about baby names. They have some wild ideas about what they are naming their babies--not yet...after college when they are married. I've decided that in 20 years we won't have real names, just usernames. Forget Betty and Fred. It will be DenimDonkey or LovU2. So you'll have to save your child's username early...can't have 2 with the same username! Too bad if you wait and can only get StinkyBritches or an NFL player named CuteCheekz!
Heidi

o

Good Tuesday Evening FOTESSERS,

I have FOTESS mail.........

I just opened a lovely Christmas card from Katie. And inside, she included a Christmas CD....not just any Christmas CD....A Katie mix of eclectic Christmas Carols. I will listen to this in the car tomorrow as I boogie around town. So looking forward to it. I will review "Katie's Carols 2012" tomorrow evening...LOL! Thank you so much Katie.

Heidi, the card from me that you are referring to is for the Secret Santa Swap. Did I write FOTESS on the back of the card?? Am I losing my marbles??? Most likely YES!!

Happy Wednesday to all. Merry Christmas!

Annie

o

I also received a FOTESS card and cd from Katie. Its great...I love Elvis. I have listened to the cd 3 times tonight while I was working around the house. Thank you so very much. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Ellie

o

Shirley~Thank you so much for the card and pretty Tithonia magnet...it really pops on my black fridge! Merry Christmas~Janine

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 9:58

Margo, love your trees, especially the doughboy one. Too funny!

For those of you wondering, here's my eclectic mix. Can you tell I like songs about wintry weather? The CD is a combo of many genres, including classical, jazz, soul/motown, easy listening, celtic, old standards, and of course, Elvis! I may be young, but I'm old souled!

Track / Song / Artist
1 O Tannenbaum by: Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Christmas)
2 Sleigh Ride by: Pops Orchestra
3 The Christmas Song by: Barbra Streisand
4 Silver Bells by: Bing Crosby
5 Baby, It's Cold Outside by: Dean Martin
6 White Christmas by: Elvis Presley
7 Santa Baby by: Oldies But Goodies Holiday Players
8 Little Drummer Boy by: Ray Charles
9 I'll Be Your Santa Baby by: Rufus Thomas
10 Here Comes Santa Claus by: Elvis Presley
11 Jingle Bells by: Barbra Streisand
12 Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by: Brenda Lee
13 Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! by: Bing Crosby
14 My Favorite Things by: Barbra Streisand
15 Blue Christmas by: Elvis Presley
16 Winter Wonderland by: Pops Orchestra
17 White Christmas by: Barbra Streisand
18 Here We Come A-Wassailing by: The Albion Christmas Band
19 Christmas Time Is Here by: Vince Guaraldi Trio
20 Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by: Barbra Streisand

o

I want to thank Jeanne, Annie, and Shirley for their Christmas cards and gifts. I really appreciate them.

I'm wishing all the FOTESS members:

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR FULL OF PEACE LOVE AND JOY

hibiscusfan

o

I, also, received the wonderful card and CD. I was in my truck when I opened the card so it went in the player right away. Lovely mix of Christmas songs. Thank you again.

o

I, also, received the wonderful card and CD. I was in my truck when I opened the card so it went in the player right away. Lovely mix of Christmas songs. Thank you again.

o

I, also, received the wonderful card and CD from Katie. I was in my truck when I opened the card so it went in the player right away. Lovely mix of Christmas songs. Thank you again.

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 21:29

Heidi, I'm still laughing at your post about the printers; I can certainly relate! The best printer I ever had was a little HP Photoprinter. Did nothing but print photos and the cartridges were relatively inexpensive. Well, I kinda,sorta wore it out and they don't make them anymore, so now I have an HP all in one. Not nearly as good. I had an Epson AIO, and it would not recognize certain cartridges either. A Real Bummer when you have had a good day shooting pics.
Can you make ink from plants? Who Knew? Aren't you supposed to use ground up ashes?

Janine, Ellie and Suzanne, great to hear from all of you!
I'm glad everyoe is enjoying the magnets; for some reason, this year they were a real challenge.

Katie, what a marvelous idea - a Christmas CD - sounds like a really good mix!

Well, all my holiday mailing is done, gifts are wrapped, no baking yet, but I'll have all weekend, if I get really ambitious! Now if it would just snow, so I could get some winter scenes!
Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Katie, nice Cd mix.

Shirley, last I heard, we were due about an inch here on Friday but not sure how north it is going. I love a white Christmas but once the weekend hits, I prefer the snow hold off until all Christmas travelers are at their destination safely.

I received a Fostess card today from Lisa with mixed gaillardia seeds inside. Thanks Lisa as blanketflowers are one of my favorite.

Margo

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 21:51

I got a FOTESS Christmas card today from Shirley.
Shirley, I just love the card and especially the magnet! It's already on the fridge :)

Heidi, I am "lucky" enough to be our field station's IT coordinator. I feel your pain in trying to beat computers and their components into submission! Ack!!

I got an email from Becky thanking me for the card & cd. She is snowed under at work (no pun intended).

Katie

o

Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 23:03

Shirley, I just looked closer at your greeting card - the close up of the tree and ornaments. There is a silver ball and I can see your reflection in it, taking the photo! teehee!!!

Katie

o

Katie,

Absoloutley enjoyed your CD in the car today. Great selection of music. It mentally prepped me for taking on COSTCO...LOL! Thanks again for sending my way.

Happy Thursday! Merry Christmas!

Annie

o

Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 7:33

Katie, there's one out there somewhere with 3 reflections in it! That was last year's tree; I'm trying to avoid that in this years pics!
Good Luck, Annie!
Have a great day All!
Shirley!

o

Hey everyone!

I rec'd 2 amazing cards in the mail! I can't thank you all enough for your well-wishes! It is truly making my Christmas. :)

Annie, THANK YOU!! What a beautiful card, and love the seed baggies!

Shirley, THANK YOU!! Your are so creative! Love the card and the magnet! It's on the fridge right now :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

The kids are feeling better, and now, I HAVE THE FLU! :(
I have no time to be sick!! So I am in denial, lol. I will try to find the time to be sick on Dec. 26th...till then deny, deny!

Merry Christmas!
vina

o

Finally posting my tree on here. Usually this is our "secondary" tree, but it's the only large one we put up this year. Things have just been too busy. I have 2 small ones - one in the kitchen and one in the dining room.
Have had two bad falls in the past two weeks so it has been rough. Stay safe, everyone... especially if you are traveling and having bad weather.
Jeanne

o

Hello Everyone and Happy Holidays!

I just wanted to thank my FOTESS friends for the Christmas cards. I enjoyed the Christmas pics people posted too! I have been self absorbed and stressing about an audit I have at work tomorrow. I'll be relieved when its over.

Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts!

Becky

o

Annie-so sorry about mixing up the swaps and cards. No, you didn't put FOTESS on it. I didn't want to NOT mention it if it was meant to be for this one! Oh well, loved it either way.

We got SNoW! 3-4" is my guess. It started yesterday morning and ended about 8 p.m. (central Nebraska) It's heading up toward Michigan, or that's what they said. I didn't believe it would snow. It was 65 and sunny the day before. Weathermen are so fickle--chalked it up to another lie! But they were right. We are loving it. Even adults are out playing in it. (You should have seen the Snowblower Showoff of Men this morning all trying to outdo each other. If it was an organized event it could not have been funnier. Men all over town strutting behind their machines and waving to everyone driving kids to school or driving to work!)
Heidi

o

I received cards from Shirley and Vina today. Thanks, ladies. The magnet is very cute, Shirley. I have it on my refigertor.
Have fun in the snow, Heidi. I can picture the men with their snowblowers.
Vina, I hope you feel better.
Becky, best of luck with your audit at work.
That sort of wraps it up for today!
Jeanne

o

Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 20:58

Hey Everyone!
I got a really cute card from lisam627 today, and she sent a pack of Gaillardia grandiflora-mixed colors! Many thanks, Lisa, and that was a great Santa on the card!

Margo, are you getting any snow? We had rain, pouring down rain from about 5am on today; still raining; could it just please turn to snow!?

Jeanne, your tree is very pretty! And I love the glimpse of the quilted Christmas wall hanging in the photo; one you made, I'm assuming! Thanks for sharing. Are you feeling okay?

Becky, nice to hear from you! Season's Greetings and I hope the audit goes well! Let us know, okay?

Heidi, that snow better be headed for Michigan! SE Michigan to be exact!

Vina, we have alot of creative people in this group; I've always thought you were one of them. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Well, I'm all set up and ready to go for my Solstice Winter Sowing! I'm excited! I'm going to do: pansies for remembrance; petunias for leap of faith; buddleia for trees; and joe pye weed for life. Is anyone else doing a Solstice sowing?

Time for a shower and bed!
Shirley!

o

No Snow here Shirley. Just lots of rain and high winds. We had a leak (again) at the store. It wasn't noticed until it dripped on two stuffed animals and two books. One of the books was Corduroy. :( We were so busy so it was really an inconvenience. If the landlord would take care of the building, it would be so nice.

Not sure about the weather report anymore on snow. We were originally getting an inch or so but not sure what now.

No winter sowing here. I tried once years ago but it was a failure. I envy those who have the success I see here. Jealous.

Margo

o

Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 21:57

WHOOO HOOOO!!!!
The T-Wolves just beat OKC!!
YES, YES, YES!!
Take that, Durant and Westbrook, and remember this:
If they can do it now, they WILL do it in the playoffs - wait for it!

Now if it would just snow!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 6:37

Still hasn't snowed, but I wanted to wish everyone Blessings on the day - Happy Solstice!
Shirley!

o

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!! I received a "Welcome" Card from my sponsor yesterday (thank you very much). I look forward to joining in on the card swap(s) and making new friends.

o

Shirley asked about winter sowing. I totally love winter sowing, but I don't seem to have luck with anything that I sow before mid to late January so I will begin planting then. The frustrating part is the heat, dryness, bugs, and voles really do in my garden by late spring. I get so frustrated that I get off to a good start and then am left with hardly anything by summer. I keep saying that one day I am going to switch to just shubbery. Even my rose bushes fall victim to the voles eating all the roots!
Jeanne

o

Yesterday, I received from Shirley, a lovely card with a magnet.....so cute! The magnet says "Friends Of The Earth-Simple Swaps"......

Miss Shirley, you are a joy!

Thanks so much....and a very Merry Christmas to you!!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 21:15

Merry Christmas to you, also, Annie! Do you have snow yet?
Just wondering. We don't.

Hi Peggy! Very nice to hear from you!

I wintersowed 8 milk jugs this morning before going to work. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing! Made it a lot easier to go to work on a Friday! But in order to get it done, I had to get up at 5, so I think I'll go collapse now!
Hope everyone has a great weekend,
Shirley!

o

Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 22:07

I did some winter sowing today, too, despite the chilly and very blustery weather making it a real challenge. I sowed blue mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum), cow parsnip (Heracleum maximum), Asclepias tuberosa Hello Yellow, and Flat top aster (Aster umbellata). But, hmmm, I'm rethinking the cow parsnip since it can cause rashes in some people, even though it is a host plant for the Anise swallowtail. : /

o

Today I received a welcome card from my sponsor Heidi. It was super cute - thank you very much! I look forward to joining in on more of the fun in the future.

Thank you,
Mandy

o

More lovely FOTESSING Christmas Cheer has arrived!

Yesterday, I received a most beautiful card from Miss Vina. And inside, a picture of her darling children, Taylor and Billy, the very best BINGO PICKERS...LOL!

Thanks so much Vina. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Annie

o

Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 20:22

Hi Everyone! Just checking in! Hi Mandy! Nice to hear from you!

Can you believe that Christmas is the day after tomorrow? Boy, it came quick! I'm all done with prep, just waiting for the day!

Talk to ya all soon!
Season's Greetings!
Shirley!

o

After all the work and anticipation, it's hard to believe Christmas is almost here! I have been trying to make cookies and candy. I don't dare make it until a few days before Christmas or it wouldn't last until Christmas. LOL
We still need to buy our groceries for our Christmas meal and I am only about 1/2 finished with cleaning house (my least favorite part of the whole thing), but all of that will be finished tomorrow ... then to decide whether to go to church Christmas eve or Christmas morning... One daughter and son-in-law will be here later Christmas Day but most of the day will be just the two of us.
The presents are wrapped so that's a major thing. I like to get them wrapped ahead of time so we can enjoy seeing the pretty packages under the tree.
Merry Christmas to everyone!
Jeanne

o

Good Morning and Merry Christmas ladies.
I was surprised to get cards from several of the Fotess ladies but it was such a pleasant surprise. Many thanks
see you next year.
Bethb

o

*****~~~Hope these few thoughts encourage your day, too! ~~~*****

The whirlwind of life catches up with me sometimes & I'm forced to stop. Hold still. Breathe. Not do anything. Wishing I would pace myself better to avoid the crash. I found this quote today that encouraged me.
"God may give you less energy in some areas, so that you won't focus on areas where He doesn't want you."

Another resource for finding peace
http://www.incourage.me/2012/12/when-your-soul-needs-to-feel-its-worth

This morning I also received suggestions for 4 ways to savor Christmas in an email. One author shared what her father does on his morning walk with the dog, so I jotted downs some notes.

Take a sacred pause. Stop a bit to set my internal clock -- my soul. Breathe. Pause. Think about where I am, my time & place where my feet are resting. The now of life. Consider my day as it is. Believe. Have hope. Offer up my loss, anxiety, frustration.... and breathe. Having a chronic illness means not everything gets done, but still celebrate .... life.

Merry ... peace... pause ... Christmas,
Corrine

Here is a link that might be useful: encouraging words

o

Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 13:29

This week is a bit of a blur with a lot of commitments, so I didn't post when I opened up some lovely Christmas cards from FOTESS members, but I sure have enjoyed them since Wednesday.

Thanks Katie ...for the sweet note wishing me quiet peaceful moments & CD. My hubby has enjoyed it most of all & many were new songs. He's tried to explain Santa Baby to our 18 yr old son after listening to a bit of it, but it didn't resonate. Generation gap for sure!

Thanks Shirley ... for sharing your creative talents. Your card & magnet are beautiful. The butterfly photo catches my eye reminding me of warmer days every time I open the frig. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks Annie ... for your card with Mary & baby Jesus, my favorite image of Christmas. So sweet to be reminded of a mother's perfect love. Silent Night is my favorite carol. Thanks for the surprise inside with confetti & 10 seed bags. I almost dropped it in the compost on top of coffee grounds instead of the trash, but caught myself. I have both containers side by side & do the opposite sometimes. :o) Made me laugh at myself a bit, which is good!

Taking some time today to rest & hopefully will get cards sent out to my list of FOTESS members so you will receive before the new year. I regret I didn't get them done before this past week of overdrive activities. Should be slowing down now with just a few more Christmas events and with the final one here with our grown children, so will be easy compared to the others!

Merry Christmas,
Corrine

o

Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 14:43

Got a really pretty card from Vina today, beautiful kids, Vina! Thank you!

Hi Beth, nice to "see" ya! Hope all is well!

Corrine, I'm taking that first quote in to work and posting it on everyone's desk. In all sincerity, thank you.
BTW-we have until the end of the year to send our Season's Greetings!

And just in case I don't come back on today:
Merry Christmas, everyone!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 7:14

Good Morning and Happy Day After Christmas! I hope everyone had a nice day yesterday!

Still no snow here; supposed to be some bad storms coming thro tho. Well, back to work!
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, "blizzard" conditions here although I don't know why. We had more blowing than snow but I have seen it a lot worse. The roads are icy but people just have to remember to slow down.

We are suppose to head up to Michigan tomorrow to see my mom but not sure. We will have to see how conditions are.

Margo

o

We had a White Christmas. We got a few inches of snow before Christmas and a skiff of snow on Christmas day and then sun. I expected Bing to start singing. However, my 12-year-old woke us up Christmas morning with a rendition of Jingle Bells on her saxophone! She sounded good.
I love being with family. I remember the years I missed Thanksgiving or special events and how painful that was. I cherish every minute.
We had the big family Christmas present swap. I took 3 bags of double tulips and it took every trick in the book, but I got them back! We had so much fun stealing gifts from each other. My tulips turned out to be a real draw. Then my crazy, fun aunt took a couple bags out of my box and put them in her planter. She said, "Sorry, they're planted. You'll have to leave them here." I said, "That's okay, I"ll just take the King Tut grass growing int he container!" We are both plant lovers and it showed!
My girls received money and gift cards and they can't wait to get to the mall. I'm dreading it. Oh well!
Heidi

o

Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 19:16

We finally got snow! I know, I know, but it is just so pretty! And timely.

Margo, I hope you aren't on the road anywhere tonight. The snow started about 11am, and hasn't quit yet. When I went home for lunch all the intersections were frozen, cars sliding every which way! For all the ruckus it caused, I think we only got about 2 inches, maybe 3. Lots of wind tho.

Heidi, your Christmas sounds like it was great! We used to do the swap thing.

Well, Minney plays tonight, better get the dishes done so I can watch.
Stay safe tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

I do hope all the FOTESSERS had a grand time yesterday.
Be well...be happy...be safe.

No snow in my neck of the woods but it is a bit nippy...I like it for a change! It is 4:30pm and 46 degrees...the temp is supposed to go down to 32 tonight. So much for shorts and flip flops. We have a big fire going in the pit outside...smells so good. I feel like cooking a weenie dog....but I won't because I am sick of food...LOL!

Happy Thursday to all!

Annie

o

Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 20:06

Well, the snow didn't last all that long. It was a beautiful day here today, bright and sunshiny, big clumps of snow left here and there, but otherwise melted. With this snowfall, we have already had 99% more snow already this year than the whole of last year-what a hoot!

Happy Thursday, Annie!

Well, I think once Corrine has mailed her Season's Greetings, this swap will be complete! But remember, Corrine, you still have until the end of the month, or year, I guess you could say! And remember to post here when you receive your Greetings!
Have a great Friday, everyone!
Shirley!

o

The month and the year are winding down. Watch for our January Swap which I'll be posting soon. Don't worry - once again, it's simple!
Shirley, thanks for your wonderful idea for the month of December. We all had fun with it.
Jeanne

o

Thank you so much Margo and Shirley for the cards :) I didn't sign up for this swap as I was too busy and didn't really pay attention to what was goin on around this time period and rarely even got on the computer...but it was a nice surprise to receive the cards :))thanks so much Shirley for the card with the magnet...the magnet went straight to my fridge!! ..thanks Margo for the card with the winnie pooh stickers (I'm a kid at heart and love Disney) and the echinacea paradoxa seeds! ...ladies you made my day when i got these in the mail and knew ya'll were thinking about me even tho I haven't been too active and talkative here...thanks so much for your friendship

I so love this group!, Dianne

o

I don't wanta leave out Michelle!!! I was just looking to see which thread to post the thank you to...I got a sweet Christmas card from Michelle also that I really wasn't expecting...

This is really an amazing group of women that I'm proud to be a part of :) Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and wishing you all a Happy New Year in advance, Dianne

o

Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 9:35

Dianne, glad you enjoyed the Greetings and the surprizes! We hope to see more of you in the coming year!

Came home yesterday with a bit of a chill, laid down and wrapped up in the afghan to get warm and woke up about 2 this morning! Good Grief! Feeling VERY rested!

Jeanne has our January swap up and running, hope to see lots of our members joining in over there!

This swap will "officially" end on the 31st but you can continue to post here as you receive your Greetings. You can post them on the January swap too.

I'm trying to think of a way to get out of going for groceries today. Wish me luck!
Shirley!

o

Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 12:16

Just stopping by to wish all our members a Blessed New Year filled with peace and love!

I also wanted to thank everyone who joined in and sent out Season's Greetings for this swap. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, at a very busy time of year!

See ya all next year!
Shirley!

o

Thank you Shirley for once again hosting a very special (and simple) swap.

Best wishes to my fellow FOTESSERS for a healthy, happy and safe 2013. CHEERS!

Annie

o

Yesterday, I received Seasons Greeting from Corrine. Thank you so much for the lovely card and Sweet Pea seeds.

Wishing you a beautiful and safe 2013.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here