Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

NEW: Theme Garden Swap, Ltd.

drippy
16 years ago

Time for another round of Theme Garden Swap! Last year's was fun and quite big, although I hope to be efficient enough this year to eliminate a second mailing.

Here's what it's about: What is a theme garden? Well, it's any garden built around a particular - ANY - theme. Probably the all-time classic is the herb garden, or the vegetable garden. You can build it around a color - moon garden (all white), red, etc. You can build it around plant requirements (smart gardeners do this, I'm not one of them, LOL) - shade garden, sun garden, woodland garden, etc. It can be any idea at all, really - be creative! I currently have a couple, and have some new ideas for this year.

Please sign up on this post up through December 30. List your theme gardens, and any particular seeds you might like for them. Also, update your "Seeds Wanted" file, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the swap - some of us look at those and add in any matches we might have! Then, watch others' posts and start gathering seeds. You may designate seeds for a specific person, but please put them in a separate baggy with their name on it rather than indicating it on the packet. That way, if one person gets 20 moonflower packets sent in for them, I can redistribute some to other players.

Here comes the "Ltd." part - I need to have players limit the amount of seeds they expect back to 100 at most. Unless many rare and unusual seeds are sent in, I cannot come up with too many different ideas for the many "vets" have way more than that to share. That being said, depending on what comes in, you may well get more than 100 back. You are welcome to send in as many as you like - surplus will be distributed as I see fit; yes, if necessary, I will do a "leftover" pick like I did last year, and finally, send off what's left to Bakemom's Newbie Project or Wintersown.org.

I will contact everyone around December 31, and will be looking for seeds to be sent to me by January 12, so I can redistribute them by the end of the month, in time for most wintersowing folks.

I know I'm forgetting something important, but someone will remind me, and then I'll add it to the posting.

Okay, I'll start:

My two new theme gardens (1) Gemstones - anything with a semiprecious (topaz, opal, quartz, etc.) or precious stone (diamond, emerald, ruby, etc.) name in it. I already have Linaria "Gemstones"; that's what gave me the idea. (2) Astrological/Astronomical garden - anything with planetary or particular heavenly body names, constellations, zodiac signs - already have Morning glory "Milky Way" and Pumpkin "Mars" (hmm, wonder if those two will work in harmony in the same area!)

My ongoing herb garden is my pride and joy, and I'll never turn down good Italian pesto basil, parsley, or a lovely lavender for it.

Your turn! Last year's participants were so creative, we had a blast - come join the fun!

Comments (150)

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

:)

I feel better... its funny how precious these little plant babies are

Lucky that my seeds from Parks are in those nice Foil Packets and bundled together so even though the variety names are missing, I do remember the plant types (coralbells, hostas, lenten rose liatris) Thank goodness I sorted them into groups, separate Ziplocks provided extra protection for some groups.

It looks like a bottle of wine laying on it's side was the culprit! It may have even started the scarification process on some of the harder seeds....... :O

All in all it looks a lot worse than it is. I will probably not lose too many seeds. Identification is going to be the tough part.

shimla

This will be my first year to wintersow, I was planning to start putting the containers out next week, I will just start a little early with some of these sticky seeds. (Hopefully it will be cold enough) :) This will be my new theme Mystery Plants. ha ha ha!

rosepedal

I have a picture in my head of a woman in a buckskin jacket standing over her WS containers with a shotgun!

ha ha!

Frances

• dotties_place
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone - I am hoping I'm not to late to join in on the fun. My daughters friend and Drippy last year were so kind to send seeds to me and now I am in the position to give seeds myself.

If I'm not to late here are my themes.

- Container - cascading, trailing, type plants
    - Peoples Names - a person's name as part of the plant name
    - Pastel Bouquet/Cut Flowers - Flowers to cut and have as bouquets inside

Thanks
    Dot

• Julie
    16 years ago

Yo Ho Dottie!
    Glad to see you here!

Julie

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Frances,
    Dont laugh but I own a buckskin. (grin) My fiance's father shot the deer and had a jacket made from the hyde. They are really warm. I am sorry to hear about your seeds. It sounds like you will be able to save some shoo. That is a relief. With all the nice members here I am sure we will send ya lots of great seed. I am getting so excited. This is so much fun. I look forward to logging in and seeing what everyone is coming up with. Everyone have a safe new year. We are staying home and let the amatuers have the night...... Barb

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!

I found a website on mythical plants (link below).

Lclear can you expound a bit? Do you want "real" mythical plants like Mandrake (mandragoria), Aconite, Nightshade and Yarrow or are you looking for plants that have mythical names, like the Unicorn plant? Some mythical plants, like stinging nettles I'm assuming you'd rather not have - LOL! But Your theme is stumping me so far - HELP please??

Jase

Here is a link that might be useful: Mythical plants page

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

I was trying to resist, too, but I can't help it! I have so many seeds already, but I got really neat stuff in last year's swap. I tried to hold off, but after reading some lists I have seeds screaming to go into envelopes, so I will have to sign up. No one should stress out if they don't have anything for me, as I know a few of us have been in one or 2 swaps together recently!

My themes:
    Red Bed: (True red, and purple) Mine is in part shade. I really want red monarda, red sunflowers, dahlia, achillea, red cosmos, red early summer plants, Scarlet Flax, Red or Black Hollyhocks. Purple ruffles basil, purple pygmy amaranth, or shortish red amaranth too. I'm open to other things, but I do already have things like Gaillardia, Lobelia, Castor Bean, and Chocolate Joe Pye, so if you don't mind checking my list of Haves first, I'd appreciate it!

Deer proof/Poisonous: I have things like Obedient plant, (although I'd like Variegated), Castor bean, 4 o'clock, Gaillardia, Anise hyssop. I have plenty of Excelsior and other purpurea foxgloves, but I'd love other species of foxglove. I'd love to get other Agastaches, too. Lychnis is pretty safe from deer, I do already have Rose Campion in different colors, but there are a lot of others IÂd like!

Family/memory garden: plants with names like: Charles, Brian, Nancy, Emily, Jill, Rene', Annette/Annetta, Helen, Scott, John. Or plants (including tomatoes) with a strong connection to: China, Lithuania, France, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Scotland. Specifically, I know IÂd love Monarda didyma -- EmmyÂs pink beebalm, and Grandpa Charlie tomato.

Xeriscape/Alpines: my soil is so very sandy, and I prefer not to water a lot. These would include Coreopsis like Zagreb, or any pale yellow threadleaf reseeder. (I have lance-leafed). Lychnis fits into this category, too. Scented thymes other than Orange, special oregano (I have regular), vibrant-colored Achillea, Bergenia, Snow-in-summer (Cerastium), Daisies like Santa Barbara. Ice Plant, Gazania (especially Pink), Melampodium, Nasturtium, Alpine Poppy, Pulsatilla, SheepÂs Bit (jasione), etc.!

True Blue Perennials, or annuals if theyÂre good reseeders. A tinge of lavender is fine. I think all I have is Balloon flower. Electric blue larkspur would be great! Is there a blue Penstemon? IÂd love Virginia Bluebells, and a ton of blue forget-me-nots.

Edible Landscape: IÂm getting into that, too! Does anyone have seeds for purple asparagus? IÂd like to try Cardoon. I can possibly swing Artichoke if itÂs a shorter season one. I wish there were a zone 5 artichoke! Heirloom eggplant, ornamental cotton, sorghum, what else would be good? I have a lot of peppers, else IÂd request those.

Thanks for looking, everyone!

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Here's an even better page on mytholocial plants. Actually more than one page.

I never knew most of this stuff. Really interesting reading.

Jase

Here is a link that might be useful: PLants & flower of Greek Mythology

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Jase, I sent you gardenweb mail about a couple questions I had on your list, too. Did you get the mail?

Lime

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Got it Lime, just sent you a response.

Jase

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Hey Stage Rat

In response to your question "are there any true blue penstemons?". The answer is yes, there are quite a few. Several hybrids, which I do not grow because they tend to be very short-lived (such as P. heterophyllus 'True Blue', which is really a pretty difficult plant) and a lot of species. Here are some of the species:

Penstemon angustifolius
    {{gwi:1320113}}

Penstemon cyananthus
    {{gwi:1320114}}

Penstemon glaber ssp. subalpinus
    {{gwi:1320116}}

Penstemon speciosus

{{gwi:1320117}}

Penstemon strictus 'Bandera' (this photo looks a little purplish, but they really are more of a deep blue).
    {{gwi:1320118}}

Penstemon strictus is also a deep blue. Utah Bluebells (Penstemon pachyphyllus) is a gorgeous plant with waxy blue leaves and incredible sky blue flowers. There are others as well. I have seeds of all of these except P. cyananthus. P. glaber, cyananthus and pachyphyllus would be a real challenge to grow for most gardeners east of the Mississippi as they really hate humidity. The rest are slightly challenging, but not hard in full sun and very well drained soil. I've already included some of them in some of my theme packets to you guys, but if anyone wants something specific please drop me an email privately and I'll toss them in your packets.

Hope it was ok to post these,
    Jase

• annette_1964
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I would love to join. My theme for next year will have to be any drought/heat resistant plants for Zone 8. We have experienced a drought and I plan to plant only drought resistant plants.

Thanks,
    Annette

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Geez, those blues are incredible! I don't suppose any of them would grow in Indiana, would they? Home of high humidity and unknown summer rain. (Could be a rainy summer or could be totally bone dry)

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Oh my! The last time I checked the thread was early Sat morning. So much has happened.

Frances - I'm soooo sad to hear about your seeds. I store a few in the fridge (ones that I indoor sow and need cold treatment), and keep them in containers in the door. I already have a few seed packets packed for you and will put together more and will be sending.

8+ additional participants have joined since I last checked-in on the thread! This is great!! From everything I'm reading everyone is really getting into the themes, which I beleive will make this one of the best swaps! I have also enjoyed the differnt sites recommended to review.

Glad I'm in!

Off to my seed stash to see what I can find for you!!

Sandy

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Sure Lime, both the bottom two grew well in my mother's garden in Illinois - that is where I learned to love them. She had them in a raised bed with gravel mulch. They did great and even often reseeded. The hummingbirds will love them too. I'll throw a few of each of those in your packet.

Jase

PS: Got your other note and am having fun with it too!!!

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hey guys, if anybody reads down this far I have one other oddball request. Would anybody have a few spare seeds of a Limelight Four 0'clock or greenish flowered zinnia? It's for a surprise :)

• mokey
    16 years ago

hey all! i going to join the swap. i am working on updating my trade list. the theme that i am working with is foliage, reds and teal blue. i don't have enough foliage in my yard. i tend to like foliage that is large leaf. solids and variations are both good. i love reds and teal blue. teal blue is hard for me to find cause i don't know names of plants that are that color until i have actually seen the plant.

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hey Mokey, check out the link below for a cool teal colored plant and while you are there check out the Turquoise Ixia!! Too bad you have to live in ZONE-DENIAL for most of these plants LOL Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turquoise Puya

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Jase, Cool!!!

Monarch_girl -- OMG! I have never seen such a thing! That Puya is otherworldly!

Lime

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eesh, go off and party for a day, come back, and we got 6 new ones - yee hah! Lime, I'm glad you're back, and Stage_rat, you too, and welcome to the rest of you.

We are now:

Naturenut
    Micyrey
    Strmywthr3
    Shimla
    Sandysgardens
    Rosepedal
    Threeshyacres
    Beckilove
    Rbrady
    Clay_Lady
    Albertar
    Julie_mn
    Lisam627
    Cottageflowers
    Fairydancer
    Aaaccc
    Moonphase
    Plantaholics
    Momcat
    Astilbebstillz6a
    Moonberry
    Monarch_girl
    Roflol
    Sandlapper_rose
    Kirsti
    Pattygrow5
    Bestnshow
    Stacy2564
    Etravia
    Kelboindy
    Lclear
    Maricybele
    Limequilla
    Dotties_place
    Stage_rat
    Annette_1964
    Mokey
    and me, Drippy.

Shimla, what do you suppose the movers would say when I asked them to move the 2 (full) compost bins? Seriously, there's only about a 30% chance of this happening, but I'm ok with it either way. Life is change, after all. Meanwhile, I'm planning the usual ridiculous amount of wintersowing as if nothing is going to change at all - we'll see!

• etravia
    16 years ago

uhhh, Plantaholic, do you have any extra of any of those beautiful blue penstemons you could share with me ?? Please, pretty please!!!
    Thank you,
    Maggie/Etravia

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Sure Maggie, which ones do you want or do you want me to choose for you? I have more on my trade list.

Jase

Hey rosepedal - now I'm the chatty one - LOL! But I gotta get to bed or I'll never get up in 5 hours. Sandy, Lime, naturenut I see I have email from you - got it but will answer tomorrow I'm falling asleep at the wheel. Night ladies.

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Plantaholic: Wow! I'm so glad I asked about a blue penstemon! Those photos are gorgeous! I'll send you an email tomorrow morning.

Frances: yes, please be sure to list what you've lost (or don't know if you have anymore.) We'll take care of you!

• Julie
    16 years ago

OH MY!
    Those are beautiful! I love waking to find a virtual "Blue" world waiting for me!
    I already have a boat load of penstemon on my want list, but I am adding a few more now!! Thanks for the awesome photos and link!
    Man- is it too late to add "A Case of the BLUES" theme???
    heh heh.....

• fairydancer
    16 years ago

Wow, those penstemons are gorgeous! It's not part of my themes either, but I'd love to try some if you still have extra seed.

Deb

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, sign-ups for this swap are now closed
    - there are 38 of us, and Frances, whose seed disaster nipped her participation in the bud (so to speak), but who, at our request, will send an envelope along anyway for the seeds we had already earmarked for her.

The list:

Naturenut
    Micyrey
    Strmywthr3
    Shimla
    Sandysgardens
    Rosepedal
    Threeshyacres
    Beckilove
    Rbrady
    Clay_Lady
    Albertar
    Julie_mn
    Lisam627
    Cottageflowers
    Fairydancer
    Aaaccc
    Moonphase
    Plantaholics
    Momcat
    Astilbebstillz6a
    Moonberry
    Monarch_girl
    Roflol
    Sandlapper_rose
    Kirsti
    Pattygrow5
    Bestnshow
    Stacy2564
    Etravia
    Kelboindy
    Lclear
    Maricybele
    Limequilla
    Dotties_place
    Stage_rat
    Annette_1964
    Mokey
    and me, Drippy.

Emails are going out this a.m. - please RSVP when you get yours, so I know they went through.

Thanks for playing, and let the games begin!

Kim

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I have emailed everyone except Bestnshow - Bestnshow, you have no way on your page of getting in touch with you. Please log in, go to my page, and send me an email through GW so I can send you the details.

If you do not have an email from me later today, email me through GW. If you do not hear back from me by tomorrow, post here - I will be checking my email throughout the day.

Thanks for playing!

Kim

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

;)
    Wow Turquois Puya!!!! wow! What a plant! Now I have to get a greenhouse (I can see my hubby's eyes rolling back into his head now... ha ha) He is a 'bit' on the conservative side..... in NC, that means green grass, pink flowers, evergreen shrubs and big shade trees.

I am preparing my WS containers this morning... dozens of large juice bottles! Will be filling these with "Mystery Seeds" from the 'Shady Perennial' bag. You know I think this may turn out to be fun after all.

drippy
    Speaking of compost (and moving it) our new neighbor brought several large bins of compost with him when he moved in. If your movers are anything like the ones that moved us they won't blink an eye.... just wrap it in plastic and load it up.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the offer of seeds, but after going through the box and its contents these last couple of days I have not lost many seeds, perhaps a dozen packets are beyond redemption, mostly because they were tiny seeds which germinated and then got moldy. I really do not need more seeds. If you have something that fits my themes (not the Mystery one, I am pretty sure I got that covered ha ) and you really want to I will not refuse, but do not feel like you must... I am not suffering for lack of seeds. I am happy to hang out and get to know you all.

I like to participate in these swaps to meet people and learn about new plants and ways to do things.... Since I just started my first adventures in Southern Gardening this year I have a lot to learn and GW members have been very generous with their plants and seeds and advice.

Frances

• aaaccc
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I asked Kim if I could post some of the extra seeds that I had left, to see if anyone could use them. If you'd like me to include any of these, send me a private email and I'll put them into the individual envelopes that I'm working on for everyone in the swap.

Rudbeckia hirta 'Toto' (many)
    Morning Glory 'Rebecca' (many)
    Rose of Sharon, Lavender Chiffon (10)
    Vitex, Abbeville Blue (many)
    Vitex, Lavender Lady (many)

I will be posting more as I sort through everything. And please include your member name in the email.
    Alice
    aaaccc @ gmail.com

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    Kim I got your e-mail.
    this morning I set up my new mini greenhouse so I don't have to mess with the bottles any more. it is not big but I can fit 12 flats of 4" pots in it, if I put one kind of seeds in each pot, thats well over 150 diffrent kinds of seeds I can WS, and NO MORE BOTTLES!!!! YAYAY the greenhouse was only $36 on the walmart website and it willl save me hudereds of dollers in stress saving the bottles, cutting the bottles, taping the bottles, and the first year I used bottles alllll the plant names washed off and I had no idea what was planted where.
    sorry I went on a little rant, I'm just excited about my new toy. :) and can't wait to fill it with seeded pots.

I will post when I send my seeds, I'm waiting on a couple seeds orders, yes I still order seeds, and I will have some to add to a few themes.
    have a great New Years
    see you next year
    michelle

• kelboindy
    16 years ago

I emailed you Drippy. I didnt get the email from you. Kel

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Hi Kim,
    Got your e-mail. Thanks so much! Here is my garden themes and a few wishes too.
    Heavenly Theme Garden - anything with the name Heaven in it.
    Have Daylily-Made in Heaven, Tweedia-Heaven Born,and Heavenly Bamboo(Nandina). Would love to have Jacob's Ladder and Caryopteris Heavenly Blue and Hostas.
    Bible Theme Garden
    Have Daylily-Siloam Amazing Grace, Iris-Cherub's Smile, Orietal Lily-Star Angel, Heuchera-Snow Angel. I'm not sure any of these plants will work together, but it will be interesting trying to figure it out, they're all in different places in my yard...LOL
    Hummingbird, Butterfly and Bee Theme Garden
    I love butterfly bushes almost as much as the butterflies!...LOL. Would love to try any of your favorites for attracting any of these beautiful little creatures!
    Outhouse theme garden(saw this somewhere)I don't have an "outhouse"...LOL, but I have a garden shed that I would like to plant old fashioned or heirloom(same thing?)plants around. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!Marylee

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

I just couldnt pass it up. I have two outhouses. Thank goodness for indoor plumbing. They do come in handy for the men at outdoor functions.... Lol it beats them peeing on my prized plants. Enjoy !

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

I love the outhouse theme. I don't have an outhouse (yet) but saw in a magazine where the guy built a potting shed to look like an outhouse. It was a double holer that you use the seating area to pot up your plants etc. The spilled dirt gets brushed down one of the holes into buckets. The seating area lifted up to store dirt, etc. I asked John to build me one and all I got was a look. However, I am hoping to get my hands on a real one this spring and modify. Neighbors 2 cabins down at the lake have a outhouse they will quit using this spring when their new cabin is done. Yep, they are finally updating to running water. I told them I wanted it and they laughed too. I guess nobody thinks I'm serious. It will only need a few modifications and presto I have a potting shed. My neighbor here at home in the twin cities (would bring it home from the lake) will have a cow too, so that's part of the fun to getting one.

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Rosepedal, that is just to funny!...LOL.I have to say that's a really pretty outhouse! Thanks so much for sharing a pic! I love it!...Marylee

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm, Kel, I didn't get the email you sent, but I tried sending you the info again. Let me know if you receive it.

Thanks,

Kim

• cottageflowers
    16 years ago

Kim, I just emailed you, my GW mail doesn't work so you have to email me at lucknetmg@comcast.net. Thanks for hosting, this is an exciting swap. Happy New Year. Jenny

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hey guys, I am still trying to find something for everybody but I am kind of stumped with the Mythical garden and don't know what to send. Any suggestions? I have stinging nettles if I don't find anything else ;) hehehehehehee

A few people will get seeds with about ten seeds in it because my few packets of special seeds only had about 20-30 in it. I hope that is ok too? I know a few people mentioned that they were ok with that.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Years!
    ))i(( Jennifer

• beckilove
    16 years ago

I'm afraid some of mine are going to be with very few seeds in them as well. Some where I only have 6 seeds to start, but I know the person wants some, so I'm sending them 3 of them. Hoping that's okay - I just want to share what I think people want! I always think it's fun to try different ones and am happy to just get a few seeds!

This is so much fun - I am having a great time trying to find things that might fit into all your gardens! The ones I can't (well, and even the ones I can), I'm looking at your wishlists and trying to find things on there you want! : ) Fun, fun, fun!

Becki

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

If you only have a few of something and you're willing to share a few it's fine by me and I would say most everone. It only takes one sprouted seed to produce a plant. That plant then produces seed, then that seed produces..... and before you know it you have more seeds that you know what to do with. I've been there!

Sandy

• fairydancer
    16 years ago

I've updated my themes and wish list on my trade page one last time.

Now I'm working on packing up goodies for you all! What an arduous process ... I can only imagine how difficult the sorting process for the hostess!! Bless you drippy for taking this on.

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Themes and Wish List

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Hi Stage rat, you said you were sending an email? I didn't get it. send to plantaholics @ bellsouth.net

Jase

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    monarch_girl - I would love a few stining nettle seeds, they are a great host plant for Red Admeral caterpillars, they are always the first butterflies to show up at our place and I would just love to give them a place to lay their eggs.
    thanks
    michelle
    PS my in-laws have an old farm in missouri, and the barn was distroied a long time ago and there is no sign of where the house used to be, but the out-house is still standing. I think there is something living in it, so we perfer to use the bushes. I have thought about brining it home to use as a garden shed but it is sooooo old I don't know if it would make evan a 30 mi trip. the old weathered wood looks great, but I think the seat would be a little splintery. OUCH! #@$*^$

• etravia
    16 years ago

Plantaholic,
    Any of the top 3. I think those are so beautiful! The last one is too, but it looks more purplish. Thank you so much! I hope I can get them to grow.

Maggie

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hey Michelle, the nettle seeds are yours :) Hopefully you have someplace where the plants won't become a nuisance for you. It might take a year or two before you have your own colony of Red Admirals... plus maybe a Question Mark or two :)

• limequilla
    16 years ago

I want to list a few specialty things, like Alice did, to see if there is any interest. Email me if you want them.

Callicarpa dichotoma or Callicarpa americana (Not 100% sure which it is, even though I grow it, I can't tell by the photos I've seen when I've looked it up.)

Hollyhock - Pale Yellow single (a very restful color, the same color as Primrose Gem Crysanthemum and some of the Orienpet Lilies like Honeymoon.)

Hollyhock - a Vivid Pink single.

Holodiscus discolor Ocean Spray

Shade gardeners: Polygonatum biflorum - Great Solomon's Seal. I heard the seeds germinate underground, but you don't see them above ground for a full calendar year.

Gaillardia x grandiflora Blanket Flower

Chicoriumintybus magdeburgh - Italian Dandelion, Chicory. Both the root (dug in the fall, dried, ground, and used as a coffee additive or substitute) and leaves (summer, also late summer they are like COS lettuce) are edible.

Profusion Cherry Zinnias

Please, email me if you'd like them!!

• kelboindy
    16 years ago

ok, I tried to email you again because for some reason, I still didnt get it. email me at kelboking123@yahoo.com

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Happy New Year Everyone! Blessings to you and yours!...Marylee

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

limequilla

I have been considering beautyberry for some time, is it difficult to grow from seed?

In light of my seed mess I also wanted to say thank you for the little labels that you put inside your seed packets. These are some I did not have problems identifying

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happy New Year, everyone! Since we are coming to the limit on this thread, I am going to start an update thread, so continue over there.

• shimla
    16 years ago

Happy New Year Swappers! It's going to be a good one :)

Drippy, that compost can be used to fill in any holes you make from the plants you can't part with! I would have to sell in the winter when my yard is covered with snow. I think most would be scared off when they realized I prefer to weed than mow lol!

Plantaholics - those pics are beautiful! I initially wanted an all blue garden but ended up with purples. I had many, many disappointments in the beginning because as we know, so many things are labeled blue but bloom purple!

I picked a poppy to share with everyone this year for the wish swaps just as a "thank you" to all. I know a lot of time and thought goes into these (and frustration when you can't find a match for someone!). I certainly appreciate everyone's efforts because it takes all of us to make this work for the whole group. Much thanks to Drippy for making it all happen! I'll link the poppy picture below. It's the Papaver paeoniflorum "White Cloud" peony poppy. It's white so should fit in most anywhere. I haven't seen it distributed in any of the group robins I've joined. With the way they seed, they should be in circulation next year and then on to the newbies!

Some of you were in susie's swap so you've already gotten a little packet. Be on the lookout for Toad Flax, Linaria reticulata "flamenco". Write that down 'cause that's a lot to copy on all of the packets! It's more common but quite a eye catcher. It will certainly brighten up the garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: white cloud