Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattygrow5

NEW: 4th annual whats left on my want list swap

pattygrow5
15 years ago

Here I am it's that time again.I actually am a little late this year We all have want lists of those elusive seeds this is a swap to try to empty those lists. here are the rules in this swap

first we all sign-up I will take sign-ups until December 27th

then you have to update your want list

then you can check everyones lists only seeds that are on peoples want lists are to be sent to make it easier for me mark who the seeds are for make sure you keep checking for the members who sign up all the way to the 27th so no one gets left out

then you can send the seeds to me I will get them back within a week of getting the last persons seeds the deadline for sending will be the 15th of January.This was great last year we all seem to get a lot of our wants.

I am making a limit of 200 packs this year because I don,t send duplicates it's hard with that many sent

As soon as I get your sign-up I will e-mail you .

Hoping to hear from all of you.

Patty

Comments (134)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Patty,
    I didn't get an email...:(

Fran

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I am very grateful for the extension to the 20th. The extra few days will really help, especially with it being over a weekend, too. Any extra time is appreciated... I want to do justice to other's wants....

Thank you, Patty.

Blessings,
    Angela

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Wow. I thought I wouldnt have very much to send, but I already found 36 packs I can send. And I just started seed swapping less than a month ago! I plan to update my list tomorrow, I'll post again once it is done. Thanks everyone.

Angela

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone!

Patty, I didn't get an email with the details of the swap either. Please send it when you get a chance.

I've been checking lists and I'm shocked to see that I have a lot of peoples wishes. I may naot have full trades but I think most wouldn't mind getting 10 or 12 seeds of a most wanted,right?

time to get ready for work...ughh
    Have a great day,
    Lisa

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Wow, is this ever growing! This is a good one to do. I thank you for the extension, as I too am in the rare, named swap. I will want to update my list after that is over.
    And Lisa, I wouldn't mind 10 or 12 seeds of something if I wanted it! LOL!
    So much fun! Melinda

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

This question may have already been answered but I didn't have time to read through all the posts again. Since I am assuming that some people will be digging into their private "stash" to fulfill some wishes, how many seeds is considered enough to send? If you didn't receive very many seeds of something in a trade you wouldn't have many to share.

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I wanted to let everyone know I'm happy with un-named seeds
    if you know the color that is helpfull
    I got these in 06 as simply "columbine mixed"
    thay are now my fav flower in the garden

I still have some seeds for this one too saved from this spring
    I'm gonna try to add some more picks on my trade page for the seeds I have available.

wow this one is gonna be GREAT

michelle

• vikingkirken
    15 years ago

Ok, I give in, I'll do it! =)

I guess I will add a note at the bottom of my list when I remove items I might get from the 5th Annual etc... I don't THINK I will be adding too much more, but I'm finding seed swapping really IS like Pokemon... lol!

Like those Persian Buttercups... Doris, if you have any left, I would love some!

Lori

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

I see a whole lot of blank trade pages. Gotta get those updated so we can take a peek :)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Id also like to ask about named varieties.

For Example, I had lots of shasta daisy, but it has no name. Would that be acceptable to someone who has listed a named variety? Im torn between being afraid to offend and wanting to share them.

Lori and Angie, the persian buttercups are in both your envy's.

:)
    D

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Looks like more and more all the time! Yeah, everyone will be very happy with there returns I am sure!
    Just a reminder, alot of people are already looking at the wish lists. Some of us are not going to update until we get our seeds back from the rare, named swap. So be sure and recheck back as many lists will change then! Thanks, Melinda

• vikingkirken
    15 years ago

Doris,

I hope others will chime in with their opinions... you asked about named varieties... I personally try not to be specific unless I am really looking for a particular variety. For example, I LOVE nasturtiums, but I really only want the few I have listed because I already have a bunch of other varieties. So I'd rather you send ones I haven't listed to other people, so they can enjoy them!

So I would think if someone has a specific variety listed, they are hoping for that variety, or at least something very similar (like if someone has Shasta Daisy "Alaska" listed, and yours looks like it but you don't know the name, I'm thinking they would love it!)

It's not that I would be offended, certainly I would be happy that you thought of me! But I would hate to deprive someone else of trying a variety that I already have!

Lori

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

About named varieties, I dont know. In some cases it dont make much difference, but in other cases it would. For example I used to have the shasta daisy "crazy daisy" on my want list (since found it). If I recieved an unnamed shasta, or a shasta like Alaska, I wouldn't have been offended, but it would have not been what I was looking for, as Alaska is nothing like crazy daisy. However, if I listed the marigold "harlequin" and someone had a red/yellow bicolor marigold of a different name, I would be just as happy with that as with "harlequin".

So to answer your question doris, I don't know LOL.

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Hi Patty,
    Sign me up. I look forward to your swap every year.
    Thanks,
    Louise

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Again,thank you so much Patty for hostessing this again this year! You are bringing so much joy to so many people! Your efforts are very much appreciated! :)

Ok so the new dates are:
    Mailing deadline: 1-20 Right?

Ok,moving up the list date really messes me up a bit....lol...,but I will live! :) Ok so I assume everyone is happy? Good! You should be,you will all be getting fat envies of great seeds! Woo Hoo!

Melinda is so right about the lists,many of us will be adding up to the sign up deadline. So make sure you keep checking back! And it has been mentioned,by me...lol..,that it would make it so much easier on all of us, when you update, that you put the new additions at the end of your existing list with a date you added them. It really would save us all alot of time! :)

Ok,about the seed count. It was agreed upon last year and mentioned by Patty this year,that since many of us will be dipping into our trade seeds,that smaller amounts are fine. I think just about everyone here knows,10 seeds can be more than enough. If I have something that I know is hard to germinate,I wont send them if I don't have enough to ensure at least one plant for each of us.

I think Lori said it perfectly about the named varieties. Alot of people may have the named one on their list because, the name means something to them,so that is another consideration when thinking about this. Most of mine are about color and the plant itself,but a few are about the name. I will try to specify on my list which I want the named only for. I think it would be a good idea for everyone to make some sort of statement on their lists letting people know their feelings on this. :)

I have been offering a copy of the list of players and links to their pages via email,anyone wanting this list can contact me and I will send it to you. I know I have mentioned this a few times already,but I want to make sure,everyone that signs up sees it and knows they have this option! :)

This is such a great turn out! Patty did you expect this many? Do you think you may just run away and say forget it?...lol....
    I wont make a number announcement,I have been so excited about how many have joined I have been posting the numbers,not thinking that maybe Patty would enjoy doing that! She didnt say anything to me about it,but a little light bulb went on and I realized maybe I should chill out a bit! It will drive me nuts,but I can refrain from doing it!...lol... :)

I found a bunch last night to add to my wants,I browsed until my eyes would not focus on the monitor anymore and I am off to do some more! Hope you all are having a blast and having a great day! :)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Ok, well, Ill do this. If you have a named variety of shasta daisy on your list, I wont send you my no-name ones unless you email me that its ok. Doesnt bother me, Ill just plant them!

D

• stevenwayne
    15 years ago

please do sign me up

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Ok, since Patty soo kindly gave me a bit more time..I am in...I cant wait to do someone elses swap...LOL JK

And, I have to say...I need another pack of seeds, like I need another hole in my head.....LMHO!!!

My seed list WAS up to date before the SSWAP, I WILL have to take a peek.

my biggest want .........is stuff for my new chocolate garden, it is going to be my main focus this year...but I am always happy with just about anything....

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Woo Hoo Kym! So glad you signed up! :)

Doris,I bet by the time all the lists have been updated,you will have found several homes for your Shastas! Some people are looking for something to plant in wayward places,Shastas are great for spots with bad soil and that are hard to get to. They pretty much take care of themselves and look great,also. I would take some off of your hands ,but I am up to my ears in Shasta Daisies!:)

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I would be happy to get some shasta daisies, hint hint

and a list of players and links too would be great

thanks
    michelle

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Opps....Just figured out why there were so many blank lists...been checking nicks via the list...they aren't all listed as they are on the trade pages...some have underscores and some are spelled a bit different. So if anyone else finds blank trade pages that's why :) back to check trade pages :)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

You got it Michelle! It was already in your file!

D

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Also want to note that (Im sure Im not the only one) Ive got a large amount of Black Eyed Susans NOID. I would not send that in unless requested, somebody who'se just starting out might want it. You gotta ask me!

I got lots! (Im sure everybody does).

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I spent half my day today browsing flower seed websites and making a (umm.. very long!) WANT list that I'll be adjusting to fit onto my page by next Wed. Just wanted to let people know mine is not updated yet but def will be by Wed, probably sooner! I'll post a comment when it is :) This sort of swap keeps us very busy doesn't it? Browsing thru everyone's lists.. I really enjoy googling images of the flowers I am not familiar with and deciding oh! I'm sure I'd love that one too! lol

Hope everyone's doing well!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Patty, Count me IN IN IN! This has been my favorite seed event of the year, and have been looking forward to another round.

Can't wait to scour through your lists. Mine'll be updated shortly.

thanks
    Tina

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Yes, please, whomever is making that players and links list ---do send. (Wow, that'll make it faster)

And those who have already gotten one, please don't forget us late add-ons :)

Here's mine:
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/kilngod

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok everyone we are up to 51 people signed up and we have over 100 posts already the limit is 150 so tomorrow some time I am going to start an new update thread and see if on that thread Angie can put all of the links so we can all go there to check lists then I can put the new dates on the update.
    Doris I agree if it is a specific seed a generic one can't be sent thats what the swap is about emptying your want list(never happen for me) but I have some like any nasturtium or like any collinsia then it doesn't matter.
    I have another request if you are in the rare and unusual swap and will be updating could you make a note on top of your list so people can wait to check your list I know my time is limited so I hate to have to check twice and go back and think where did that seed go.
    For special seeds smaller amounts can be good for it is something someone really wants within reason don't send a pack with like 2 tiny poppy seeds that looks like an empty envy but if it is a morning glory 2 seeds is ok.
    I have a updated list everyone should have an e-mail
    1-pattygrow5-patty
    2-lisam627-lisa
    3-rbrady-rhonda
    4-sguanzon-sue
    5-morguegirl-amy
    6-ilovefarac-melinda
    7-ncgardengirl-fran
    8-poisondartfrog-alana
    9-austinhanasmom-deb
    10-sybilkrizinski-sybil
    11-mickeyrey-michelle
    12-yotetrapper-
    13-agirlsgirl-angie
    14-rosesmoreroses-diana
    15-jworth-j
    16-duodecad-alyse
    17sissifriss-myriah
    18-jaynine-janine
    19-juliemn-julie
    20-sassybutterfly2008-wendy
    21-velsgarden-velvet
    22-ptp813-pam
    23-dancinginthegarden-nancy
    24-ollierose-diana
    25-pattyb-patty
    26-patrob-patricia
    27-just1morehosta-carol
    28-threeshyacres-jodi
    29-playintheyard
    30-ggwrn-ginger
    31-angelady-angela
    32-ishareflowers-lisa
    33-patrushka-pat
    34-smokeymist-carol
    35-sunsetin-karen
    36-dorisl-doris
    37-kamiljablo-kamil
    38-maricybele-marcy
    39-anadarkorose-
    40-ourhappyhome-
    41-kalena67-karen
    42-dirtdiggin-
    43-riley17-
    44-chellflower-
    45-ibartoo-Linda
    46-sandygardens-
    47-vikingkirken-lori
    48-esiuol-louise
    49-stevenwayne
    50-flwrs4ever
    51-kilngod-tina
    What do you think Angie.
    Patty

• pufftrinket
    15 years ago

I'm IN! I hope there is still room. I will be intermittent online for the next week, but steady after that, as soon as my hard drive is fixed.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I've been watching this one and with the extended deadline, I'd like to participate! My wishlist has been updated since the secret santa seed swap. I'm excited about looking through everyone's lists! Nikki

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Okay folks... my list is as updated as can be. If I do add anything (who knows, there may be a seed catalog there when I go mailboxing tomorrow) i will add it at the top as an update. Everything on my list will stay there now.

I spent the better part of today doing this instead of baking and decorating as I should of been doing . Ah well, I have too many decorations anyways lol. As if i dont have too many seeds lol.

Here's a link for ya'll.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

pattygrow5, it's real easy to plug it into an excel sheet and it will automatically put the links together. If you'd like me to do that it won't take but about 10 minutes to verify the names so they're accurate and be done with the links to everyone's trade page. Either that or I can send the forumla to Angie. I'd be happy to...it's how I update my own trade page and it takes so much less time.

Just let me know.

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Patty and Angie...Oh My! Glad I saw this before the cut off date! I'm in. I won't be able to update my want list till after Christmas because of participation in R.R. Fresh Fall Seed Swap. Hope that is okay. First time in that swap and now this one and am really excited about both! : )
    Count me in girls and please send updated list so I can start to check want lists.

Thanks so much,
    Cindy

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Something I'm going to do regarding the Named vs Unnamed seed types, that I do a little bit already is like this:

Gomphrena globosa "Strawberry Fields", OR other Red

Snapdragon "Night & Day", OR other Black

Snapdragon, "Autumn Sunset", OR any autumn-like colors

Since I don't always know what color someones Named variety is, if they only say "or similar" it doesn't help me. I may have one similar, but won't know it. Like the example someone gave above about a named Marigold where they would still love another Red-Yellow type....I didn't know that named was a red-yellow.

Some traders might have "Night & Day" snapdragons on their want list from seeing it in a catalog....but don't know there are other Black snaps out there, and that's way they want it, just for the Black of it.

This could be extremely helpful for getting ones that are OK as "similar", list a cue about what kind of similar. I figure it will typically be about color, but some may just want a short bellflower instead of a tall one, or selected that Named kind because it's a "double petaled yellow" instead of a "single petaled yellow".

Hope this might help both givers and receivers....

--Tina

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Wendy,Glad to hear you are loading your list up! That's the spirit! :) One thing I like about this swap is that you find so many new and interesting things you never heard of just by looking at what someone else wants! :)

Tina! Yay! I was wondering if you were going to take part this year,I am so happy you signed up! Also,thanks for posting your trade page link! I will email you the list shortly!:)

Patty I will be happy to post the list,as soon as the new thread is created,I will post who I have so far!:)

yotetrapper,I am glad I am not the only one that should be getting the decorations up,but playing on the computer instead...lol..

dirtdiggin,thanks so much for the excel sheet offer,right now I do not have excel on this computer and the computer that has it is down. Actually, it hasn't taken much time at all to copy and paste players as they sign up on to my word pad. Just a few seconds each. Keep in mind when you do the sheet that each person has a number listed by Patty,some people will mark the seed packets with the number of the person instead of their GW id. It is great of you to offer,I am sure there are quite a few that would rather have your spreed sheet,is it ok if they contact you for a copy? If so,when I post the list on the new thread I will make sure people know they have that option! Let us know!:)

Cindy,the cut off for list updating is the 20th of December. I personally do not have a problem noting to myself to check your list after Christmas,but I would worry that others may not be aware of this and over look your list.So if it is ok with Patty that you update past the deadline,maybe you could make sure you announce it or I could note it next to your name on the list I have.I will keep checking to see what is decided.:)

I swear,everyday this swap is getting better and better,so many awesome people already here and more signing up everyday! I cannot wait to see what our final player count is,and how many packs will be sent in...lol...you realize that at the 54 players we have right now,if each of us sent in the maximum 200 packs each that would be 10,800 packs of seeds!!!!!! :D

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hey A,
    If you don't mind you you put a *updating please check again before mailing out note on mine too?

I have been adding and right now I have a list in notepad waiting to go on. I am trying to get ALL of mine down now so I will have it updated before Jan. I hope I don't find something else I like after I finsih...lol

Gosh everyone I KNOW my list is long, but there are so many new and old varities out there that I haven't seen and when I go catalog/website browsing I begin to drool and just have to HOPE I can find it before I order them.
    But please at least take time to skim over mine. I lost over half my plants since 2005 and basically am starting again so these swaps are very important to some of us.

I have been checking everyone's every night so WHEN you update please post it so I and everyone else will know to go back and check.
    I just recently ordered some seeds and some were specific wants of a few peoples that joined the SSSS. I figured they prolly wouldn't get some of them so I ordered just in case and so far I have been right and NOW they have joined here so I can still help them out without having to worry about setting up a trade!

I also would like to note if I have something listed that is a black, dark, or a certain flowered plant I would like just that color even though I have a named one there it is because I KNOW that name and usually don't know another varity of it exsist.

Ok, shutin' up now....
    :) Fran

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Ok,
    do we add our name,like **To~~~
    Poppies~~~~ From~~~~~~

Or just ````````````````````To~~~~*Poppies

one more question** Do we Only send what is on their wish list?**or,,can we send what we have,and Think, they would like?

I've not received a list yet either.
    Thank you guys,
    Carol

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Fran ~ When you wrote that about it being up to 10,800 packs of seed.. I got that visual from the movies where someone is lolling around on the bed covered with money.. well with me it would be seed packets.. ROFL.. good thing I'm not hosting this! lol

Yep.. that's the way my head works.. scary huh? :D

~Wendy :P

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

If someone has the links in an Excel spreadsheet already, I would love to have it and I can modify it to include what I am sending each participant.

Carol, the beauty of this swap is that you can only send what a person has indicated on their list. It takes all of the guesswork out of choosing something that someone will enjoy.

Similar to how Tina does it, if I want only a specific variety of something I list only that one. If others of that color or type are acceptable I indicate the characteristic I am focused on. If any form of something will do, I list only the genus or genus and species.

I am settling in to look at the lists tonight with a cup of hot cocoa and make some preliminary notes. This will be fun!
    Alana

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Hey there Sassy,

I've emailed you a couple of times regarding my end of our trade. My emails must be going to your spam.

it's almost winter sowing time. Come on sassy girl get that envie in the mail..lol

Drop me a line when you get a minute

Thanks
    Lisa

Sorry for hijacking Patty!

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Hi, everyone!

As usual, I can't resist a massive swap and I must join in! My lists are somewhat updated, but I may remove a couple of wants--I need to go through my Theme Garden swap goodies again. I will list the removed seeds in any updates that I do, to make it easy for everyone.

1morehosta, we usually do put our own GW name on seed trades, so people can ask us for more info later if they need it. Some people will write the recipient's name on the packet, like: "Poppies, annual, pink. For Marygg from Garymm." But, Patty may have to send those to someone else. It's no big deal to have the other name on it (they'll still grow!) but I usually mark the recipient's name impermanently, by making up an envelope or using a paper clip. All the other info is permanent, though.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I would love to have the excel version when it is ready & completed. :)

Thanks!
    Wendy

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Thank you guys,
    I got it,lol
    I am so surprised at how many i can fill, not in the hundreds,but enough to make me feel like can have some fun with the rest of you.
    Carol

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Hi all!:) We are now up to 55 players! Woo Hoo stagerat!:)

When Patty starts a new thread,I will be posting the list I have with clickable links to trade pages on the new thread. That should help many of you out that don't have or aren't familiar with excel. It was dirtdiggin that offered the excel sheet for those of you that are interested.:)

Fran,it is safe to assume everyone will be updating up to the 20th. Mine is no where near ready yet,I had no computer time last night ,we went Christmas shopping and didn't get home until after 11.So you are not alone! :)

I have not looked at any want lists yet. I am waiting until after the 20th when everyone is updated,last year I had to pull seeds out because they were taken off lists when the person updated. So this year I am saving myself a bit of time by just holding off! :)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday! :)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Angie, Sure that's fine. I have it done, but will update with the numbers from Patty's list. Anyone wanting a copy, just let me know.

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

Ok I unblocked my email I think and updated my trade page. Thanks so much for keeping me in. Last day of school was Friday and it has been crazy. I think I am ok now I will wait for your email patty and thanks so much for hosting this. Let me know if there is still trouble with my page.I will review all of the posts to make sure I am clear with the directions. I am super excited to be a part of this.
    Thanks again

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Ok, I just had the vision of the girl on the Willy Wonkas Choc Factory movie..when she is screaming at her dad,

"I WANT IT ALL, AND I WANT IT NOW"..UM, that is how I feel sometimes when i see the seed catalogs...*gosh, these meetings make me feel soo much better !!

I will have to work a bit on my list too...I can say...ANY OF THE NEWER SEEDS, I would LOVE to try anything...

Way to go on getting such a wonderful group of people to join, this will be soooooo much fun, I am soo looking forward to winter sowing !!!

Wishing you all a wonderful Monday !

Kym

• intelkid
    15 years ago

Sign me up! I would like to participate in this. Fulfilling want lists is a dream come true for all! :)

-David

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

I would like to participate. I will update my wish list soon.

Mark

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone!:) Just so everyone knows why I keep posting,I am helping Patty out,she has alot going on and has fit this swap into her busy schedule for us,so I offered my help in keeping up with questions and stuff,so she isn't so overwhelmed and can enjoy herself a bit also!:)

I received an email that someone was having problems with the links I sent,is anyone else having a problem with them? I tried a few out and had no problems,but I am wondering if anyone else has not been able to access the pages from them.Please let me know.:)

Also I am not sure if you guys are aware,but Kate,kms4me is having a funny winter story contest on the conversation side of seed exchange. She has offered up 20 awesome packs of seeds as the prize! Those of you familiar with Kate know she has great seeds,the funniest story walks away with them! So go on over and tell us something funny that has happened to you in the winter months and maybe you will be the lucky duck that gets to grow some of these awesome seeds she is offering! I am including the link! :)

Kym...lol...I know what you mean about wanting them all and wanting them now...lol...I cant remember who it was that said seeds are like Pokemon...Got catch 'em all!....but she is soooooo right!:)

As of now we are 57 strong!!!!!!!! :D

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Ok! I am out of the loop this morning! I had no idea there was a new thread started...lol...I have this one bookmarked so I come straight to this thread,I should have learned from the SSSS to check the forum!...lol...anyway here is a link to the new thread!:)