Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: mnf january 2010 swap - new beginnings

Posted by dan_the_mailman Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 21:05

A new year means new possibilities to just about everyone I know. So, I thought we'd make this a rather simple swap AND make it all about new beginnings. Whether we give some seeds a new beginning by winter-sowing them, give ourselves a new attitude or habit, or make new friends, we start out with high hopes and a plan to see it through. And kudos to us all for making those new starts! Right?
So, what does this swap entail you ask? Here are the details...

1) Players may sign up until January 9th. Everyone is welcome to join, whether they've been in this group before or not.
2) All players need to send me their name, mailing address, e-mail address, and garden web name when the sign up. I will not be looking these up, but I will post a reminder a few days before the 10th for those who forget.
3) Please have a small, yes, small, flat-rate priority box ready to go into the mail by January 11th, which is when I will e-mail you with your recipients name and address.
4) Your box should include seeds and a card or letter for your recipient, and anything else you might like to share with them. Treat your partner like you would want to be treated.
5) Please, try to post on this thread and join the conversation more than once. This is a good way to make new friends and provides an excellent escape for us all. Not posting more than once could, and most likely will, result in your being dropped from this swap.
6) Lastly, and most importantly, HAVE FUN THIS MONTH!

May peace, health, truth, and contentment rule our lives in 2010.

-Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf january 2010 swap - new beginnings

"jumping in line and signing up"..what a great idea to chase away the January Blues!!...

o
tea's on!

"rinsing out the teapot and making a fresh batch of brownies"..c'mon everyone...tea's on and the brownies are going to be ready shortly!!

o

Lurking.

o

I'll take a small brownie and some tea with just a little cream please.

I will enjoy it while I send Dan an email with the information cause I am in line behind Linda to join in.

I am looking forward to new beginnings of GW friendships as the new year begins. This swap will be a great start. As soon as the holidays are over, I will start getting somethings ready so I will be all set by the 11th.

Thanks Dan, great idea.

o

Count me in! The small rate box is a great idea!Gives your pocketbook a chance to recover from Christmas.

Linda~Please pass me a BIG brownie(I'm staving from using the Wii!) & some coffee(with a splash of mint bailey's) if ya have it!

later...April

o

Thanks for the comments y'all! I thought we could all use a simple swap this time around, I know I sure could!
Now, knowing what a bunch of rule-breakers we all tend to be, IF, you find yourself needing a larger box than stated, you may send it, but that's certainly not a requirement. I say this because I know how it is to find one of those "I've just got to send this!" items...lol!

Hey Linda, did you put the "special ingredient" in those brownies? We haven't served any of those for awhile. If not, I'll go make another batch of brownies, and of course, there will be nuts sprinkled on top! ((chuckle)) Plenty of nuts around here, aren't there?

Merry Christmas Eve!!!!! Pictures, Images and Photos

o

"putting on a pot of coffee, getting out the Bailey's and cutting BIG chucks of brownies"....c'mon everyone, have some...and lurkers, you know you want to sign up...."getting rope out and giving it a twirl"

o

Put the rope down Linda, Im in! Im in! *slides towards the brownies with my butt firmly planted against the wall and all limbs clear of the rope* Jan 11th is my birthday, too... nice timing!
~Laura

o

I'll need to pass this month, Dan. Things are still (pttthhhppppp!) here. :O)
I love your idea, though!
Ya'll have fun!

o

Laura~ My Dad's birthday is on the 11th also!!

Linda~ Thanks, those brownies were good,although they did make me more hungry.Strange, huh? Did you guys here that? Is someone out there? No more brownies for me!!

later...April

o

So far, we have as players...
dan-the-mailman
lindaruzicka
smitties
dirt-under-my-nails
lilangel181

and lurking about...
amelia-pepper-lady
hazelnutbunny

there are reindeer in my yard, but I don't see Santa yet. wonder what happened to the jolly ol' elf? a bit too much of Linda's eggnog, you think?

o

It was sleeting here and all the weather man could talk about is how Santa would not be deterred, and NORAD was tracking him... apparently they wernt lying!
~Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: NORAD Santa Tracker

o

later...April

o

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
Christmas Pictures, Images and Photos

...AND TO ALL, A GOOD NIGHT!

HO! HO! HO!

-Dan & Co.

o

Hey Dan, hook me up!!! I want in this time I miss the last swaps.Great Idea! I can afford a small box.

Hey Lianda May I please have a cup of that tea and a browny
but please remove the calories I had enough of those.
Merry Christmas evrybody, I do hope Santa was good to all of you

Hugs, Carmen

o

How was Christmas for everyone? Santa was good to us here. The weather wasn't too bad either. Now to finish out the year and start planning for gardening 2010!!!!

o

Sign me up also Dan, this sounds like fun.

Will we be posting things we would like to change, work on?

Our electric was out for 3 1/2 days ,just came back on yesterday night,around 8 pm.
I missed my computer,and all of you.

Christmas was good for me so far,
Hubby bought me a Tunable Composter,on wheels.Really nice, i wanted on of these for ever.:0)
My friend bought me some cute Christmas dishes,and two really pretty crystal prisms to hand in the kitchen window.
Will be celerbrating with the kids the end of Dec.up north.

Dan I am e mailing you my info.

How about you kind sir, did you have a nice Christmas,and what will you be working on this comeing year?
cAROL

o

So far, we have as players...
dan-the-mailman (have info)
lindaruzicka (have info)
smitties (have info)
dirt-under-my-nails (have info)
lilangel181 (have info)
gardencraze (have info)
just1morehosta (have info)

and lurking about...
amelia-pepper-lady
hazelnutbunny

And that's our group so far. Linda and April, I already had YOUR addresses on far...wonder why? lol Hopefully we'll get some more participants before the sign-up deadline. Carol, you'll find out pretty quickly (if you haven't already) that anything and everything gets posted here on the MNF threads. I don't think there is anything more welcoming than a group of gardeners taking a break so they can jaw with one another, especially when there's tea and brownies!

Here at the d-t-m household, Christmas is almost over. We had ourselves a great dinner with ham and lasagna as the main ingredients, and have had what's turned out to be a nice, lazy weekend. Of course, it's been a bit entertaining to watch the kids "share" their new toys with one another! We took down all the indoor decorations today, and the artificial tree is now a bird-feeding station in the yard. I'd like to get a new tree for next year, so I think this one will remain outdoors, offering food and sanctuary for the birds.

Here's hoping everyone is having a great weekend!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Hi all. I am a lurker though in the end I think I will be playing!! I just need a few more days to get Christmas behind me. My house looks like a hurricane came through it!! I guess I should stop researching the seeds I will be winter sowing and start cleaning :op

Heidi

o

Dan~I just sent you my info. That's what I get for not reading the postings beforehand. LOL!!!Also don't you know it's bad luck to take down your tree before New Years? >:0(

I'm off to kick hubby off the Wii. My turn to snowboard!!!
later...April

o

Hi all!
Its snowing pretty hard here, so I decided I needed to garden. Ive been working on my terrariums... yes I have a bunch already! Now Im getting ready to setup a small window succulent garden, and all of a sudden there are houseplants all over the livingroom! Im hoping the cats dont do some pruning for me...

Rufus is trying to type right now, I suppose hes saying 'hewwo and meow and someone throw the toy mouse so we can play fetch cause momma is sick of doing it'. (After 2 hours who can blame me? That cat has serious stamina!) Zoe is pretending to be asleep, but I have the sneaking suspicion shes plotting something.

With the holidays almost over and winter definitely here what are yall throwing yourselves into these days?
~Laura

o

I seem to be doing alot of chanting "Spring will come, spring will come" while looking out the window at snow...LOL! It will be time to start Winter sowing shortly and that will be fun!

o

Hi - I am brand new to this website, but I am really interested in getting into a seed exchange and this one sounds like something that I can handle. I would really like to participate!

Could someone post a description of an average "box". How many seeds? How many varieties? What is something interesting you have gotten in the past? I have read the official rules of the website, but I just want to make sure that I do this correctly.

o

jmt2213 welcome to GW. Each swap is different. Speaking for myself, I am fairly new to all this myself. The only seeds I have are ones that were offered for SASBE or given to me in swaps. I usually can only send a few types of seeds. Things I have sent in my boxes...candles, candy(this is a big favorite with most!!), garden related items, hand towels. If you haven't already you should set up your GW trade page. That is where I have listed things that I would like to receive in Round Robin swaps. Make sure that you always come back here and post what items you have received and a thank you to your partner. That way we can all drool over the boxes till our own arrives in the mail :op

It rained here yesterday and took all our snow away. I actually miss it! I did get the living room cleaned up and toys sorted. Tomorrow is the kitchen. My oldest was throwing up last night, but seems better today. I heard that there is a stomach virus going around. I hope that it doesn't go through my whole house.

Got any games planned Dan??

Good night everyone
Heidi

o

Im kinda new to seed saving and exchanging but an avid gardener. The climate where I live things root pretty easy from cuttings but now I have a new hobby. Not sure if I should thank or curse you guys :o) So I would like to join in the fun, will send you my info Dan.

Where I work mnf means move no forward, what does it stand for here?

o

It means "Make New Friends" which is what we like to do..so sit down, have some tea and brownies and tell us a little about yourselves..."patting chair"....

o

Welcome keiki and jmt2213. MNF here means makin' new friends, and were a fun if some times crazy group. Food fights, snowball fights and lots of good natured teasing are all common so check in often!

As to the question of what should you send? Anything you would want to receive! Pot sitters, journals or notebooks, garden supplies like gloves or trowels, things to pamper ones self like lotion, scented soaps, incense, gardening books you've finished with, etc. Are you crafty? Ive heard of hand made key chains or jewelry, knit socks, I paint small pots sometimes, Amelia likes to print recipes and put them together into a personalized cookbook... last month Dan told me he had a Victorian themed xmas tree, so I researched what that meant and made my own ornaments to send to him. No one spends much. The dollar store and yard sales are your friend. Check your partner's member page and trade list for things they like and seeds or plants they're looking for. If you have them and don't need them, send them. If you don't have them, send something else that you think they may like to try. I go with the practice to try to send more seeds than I would reasonably want to receive in a pack.

Clear as mud, right? Feel free to ask as you go, we don't bite... hard :)
~Laura

o

Hi evrbody,
Welcome Keiki and Jmt good to have you aboard :0)

It has been cold as heck here in central FL. and I don't like it BURRRR.
I'm so ready for some perfect weather, but it seems that when we have a perfect day I'm at work. Don't ya hate it!!

Hey how about some of that special tea you ya'll brag about, I need somthing to worm me up LOL. Later tonight I going to post pics of whats blooming in my Neck of the cold woods

You all have a great day
Hugs, Carmen

o

"handing Carmen a hot cup of tea with a shot of Bailey's"..there you go, girl...anyone else?

o

Could I have a cup of Bailey's with a very short shot of tea? If you are running low on tea, just leave it out.
I will join this month. After this week I should have more time to check the forums than I have had all year so although I can't promise to post every day, I am sure I can meet the "more than once" requirement.
Bonne anne 2010!
Alana

o

Got any energizing tea. I need that.

Had a busy weekend with kids coming to celebrate. Of course, a snowstorm started up a few hours before they all left. One left more towards the beginning headed on a three hour south drive. It took almost an hour to go 14 miles. They ended up adding an hour and a half to the drive but arrived safely. My son and his wife left for a 2 and 1/4 drive that ended up 3 hours. My prayers were flying and were well received since they all arrived home safely. Now I know what my mother and grandmother went through when we did our holiday traveling years ago. Too scary.

Dan, I like your idea of sharing your tree with nature. I tried that last year with our cut tree once I took it down but with being out in the country living with the high winds, we just couldn't keep it upright. If the weather is right for it, I will have my husband stake it up well this tree and try again. I love to feed the birds but there is no shelter for them as we have no bigger trees and what we do have is too small yet.

Another great idea for exchanges is seed baggies/envelopes or blank labels to attach to the envies. I like homemade items myself and also enjoy making bracelets for my exchanges if the reciever wears jewelry.

Hope everyone is staying warm. The wind is a blowin here with wind chills of zero or below. As each year passes, the warmer climates look more inviting.

o

This will only be my second round robin but sounds like fun so Im in!

o

Welcome botanical, Watch out for that tea, I just had a cup and oh boy!!!

Here goes some pix I promised.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Enjoy. Hugs, Carmen

o
RE: new: mnf january 2010 swap - PIx

OOPS sorry I forgot to size before sent.

I tell ya that tea is making wacky

Carmen

o

Still lurking about.

No tea but could use some Bailey's. (I have my own coffee.)

I've published a couple of cookbooks for local organizations. I'm working on a third right now. So, it's very easy for me to pull out recipes for a theme. Just wondering if I could make a small cookbook.

Gave my husband a Wii for Christmas. I'm something of a klutz --- rather more than some. Yesterday, we were "bowling" on the Wii. I almost ended up in the TV. We have a table with the Nativity in front of the TV. I actually landed in the Nativity. I realized at the last second my head was about to enter the TV.

o

"passing around the bottle of bailey's"

o

On I'll have some Bailey's for My coffee too. That sounds good.
It's chilly here for AZ and we may have a bit more snow by morning. Nothing like other places have been getting but enough to make travel on the mountain tricky.
Dan I'd like to participate. By "Small flat rate box" so you mean the tiny $4.50 size that is about right for a video cassette?
That is fine with me as I have not got a lot of seeds but I do have some more unusual ones and it will be fun to be in the swap
Beth B

o

Count me in. I have an excess of fresh seeds for 2010. Can I stick in some houseplant cuttings too? That's a big box for seeds.
Dee

o

Wow! I go to work for one day, and y'all get busy! I love it! Welcome to everyone, old and new! I'll put together a list of players in the next day or so. Don't forget to send my your information if you haven't done so already. I will not be posting partners here on the thread, but instead will be e-mailing each of you with the name and address of who you are sending your box to. And, since we're talking about boxes, yes, I do mean the small priority box which is less than $5 and about the size of a video-cassette. This will make things inexpensive and simple for this swap, hopefully.
Now, there have been a few questions as to the contents of these boxes we're all sending out. Live plants or cuttings would not be a good idea since some of us live in what's known as the Great White North, and the plants simply wouldn't survive. Please include some seeds in your box, the amount, variety, and number are up to you. Just send what you think it would be fun to receive and you'll be fine. Other than seeds, a card or letter would be great. A lot of friendships have started out because we do this from time to time in this group. As for the rest of the contents of your box, that's totally up to you. There've been a lot of great suggestions already made in this thread, so please read through the whole thing and see what people have suggested. You do not have to go to any great expense for this swap. Like someone already has mentioned, the dollar store, yard sales, and Goodwill are great places to find things for the boxes we swap. Who knows what treasures one may find? ((smile)) In the past, I have received homemade items, snacks, statues, seed packets, and yes, catnip, just to name a few things. Let your imagination run wild.
Please remember one thing though, I'm hoping that we will all mail out our boxes within a day or two of receiving the names of our recipients, which may not allow a whole lot of time to "fine-tune" those boxes and tailor them to one specific person. Please have your boxes ready to go when I e-mail you with their name and address. Doing this tends to increase the "surprise" factor, and makes it a lot more fun to see what everyone received when they post the contents of the box they received.
Okay, does all that help any? Does anyone have any more questions? If so, let'em rip...

Peace.
-Dan

p.s. I haven't planned any games, but if anyone should wish to post one, that'd be fine with me.

o

Y'know what, Alana's "Best of Season" and Kym's "Secret Santa Seed Swap" were just SO darn much fun, I gotta get in on *this* one, too! Particularly since this is hosted by famous "dan_the_mailman"! - Count me in, bud! :)

o
RE: new: mnf january 2010 swap - Update 1

Already getting my box loaded-up! Fun-fun -fun! :)

o

Is that bottle of Bailey's still going around? I'm new to the round robins, but I would love to join you guys.

Carmen, those pix are gorgeous!

o

Thank you Shansgarden, I had to cut them so I can enjoy them inside since it has been a wee bit too cold to enjoy anything outside.

If anyone would like to do a trade in the spring i would love to trade some Cala lilies for other plants.

Happy New Year to all, Hugs
Carmen

o

"opening another bottle of Bailey's, putting on the coffee, tea and making a fresh batch of brownies" Welcome to all the new comers!

o

Oh wow, welcome everyone! Im ok with receiving cacti or succulents or small terrarium plants if my trade sender has any to share. I live in the great white north so I brought spring inside for the first time ever! The cats are so confused...
~Laura

o

Carmen I sent you an email through GW. Let me know if you don't get it.

I am glad to see so many new and old (or should I say returning)people.

I will have to pass on any food or drink. My house is just getting over the stomach virus and still don't have much of an appetite.

Heidi

o

Heidi, I had to come home from work with that stomach virus today...yuck!!! I hope you're feeling better now.

Now let's see if I can get a correct list of players here. If I miss your name, please let me know. We have, so far...
dan-the-mailman (have info)
lindaruzicka (have info)
smitties (have info)
dirt-under-my-nails (have info)
lilangel181 (have info)
gardencraze (have info)
just1morehosta (have info)
jmt2213 (have info)
keiki (have info)
poisondartfrog
botanicalboi (have info)
beth_b_kodiak (have info)
domehome (have info)
cryptid (have info)
shansgarden (have info)

and lurking about...
amelia-pepper-lady
hazelnutbunny
hdiperna
And that's the list as far as I can tell. Alana, I have an address on file for you, but I'm not sure if it's current. Can you send me your info soon? Thanks!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Peace.
-Dan
***sipping my sprite***

o

I am new to this also and would like to participate. Sounds like a great group of fun people!

o

Wow, What a turnout! Dan, Heidi & any other sickkos :) I hope yall feel better soon!

o

We are getting better in my house. This was my first bout of throwing up with my kids. Definitely an experience!! Dan I hope you are not sick for long.

Does any one have any New Year Resolutions??

Heidi

o

Aw, man, stomach flu is definitely no fun--I hope you all get better soon.

o

I'm hopeful January will bring my return to mnf. Mark me down as a lurker for now, but I expect I'll be able to move up to "player" status.

Happy to see lots of new names on this thread!

~CA

o

Hi, all! Hope everyone is doing well and feeling better! Not sure if I'll be able to play this month. Crazy busy around here but just stopped by to say hello :)

Allison

o

A little help to the person who recieves my name, cuttings will not make it this time of year and I am not a gardener to houseplants.

I am off to the store tonight to pick up a couple items for my box so I can have it ready to send when the time comes. Definitely have plenty of seeds for whoever I send to.

I am already longing for spring. Too cold and windy and I have had enough.

o

well, I don't know if it's cured my stomach flu, but that bottle of wine I've had has me feeling better now. There are a lot of local wineries, and this one was a cherry-flavored red wine, and it went quite well with biscuits and cheese.

As for Spring, we've got 81 more days to go, not that I'm counting, of course. Hehe, you bet I'm counting! I'm already making plans for a short vacation centered around Memorial Day so I can do all my planting. One thing I'd like to know tonight, what happened to all that Global Warming? I wouldn't mind skipping all this snow, would you?

G'night everyone, I'm going to bed.

Peace.
-Dan

p.s. BTW, be prepared to pick your own recipient. More details will follow when I'm a bit more sober. Ta-Ta! (grin)

o

This swap sounds like something I can handle, can't wait!

To introduce myself to everyone...

I am 25 years old, female, and live in Minneapolis, MN. During the past few years I have done as much veggie gardening as Minnesota allows. This year I will be expanding my gardening to include flowers, shrubs, tress, etc as I bought a new house this past summer. I am looking forward to doing a lot of landscaping for the place.

o

count me in but I prefer Dan's brownies he doubles up on the secret ingredient. gonna try to be on time but yall know me late is my middle name dan my addy is carol bea 242 169th st e spanaway wa 98387

o

I'd love to join in on this swap, so here's a plate of fudge to go with the brownies! It's been a chilly, wet day down here in south Texas, so Linda, I'll take some Bailey's with my coffee....uh coffee with Bailey's!

Stomach flu was here, too, but only one of us was hit by it. My poor dear daughter spent most of the 26th with a tummy ache. She got so sick the next day she had to go to the med clinic to get some anti nausea meds. My SIL said it was the 48 hr variety that's in our area. I hope everyone else stays healthy!

~Kathy

~Kathy

o

As I was saying in my post that was erased, my box is all ready to go. All I need is an address.
It was very freeing not to have a name first for a change. I just put in what I like.
Great idea, Dan!
Alana

o

Dan, what winery is your wine from? I really like the fruity wines and that sounds like it would suit me just fine. I have family I visit in different parts of Michigan so just might search it out.

I am about ready to pack up my box, just need to do seeds but I still have a little time. I also need to go pick up one of the flat rate boxes.

I hope all your flu bugs stay in your areas and away from here. We have already had the H1N1 go through our house so don't want anything else.

Snow expected tonight. Only an inch and a half when all is done but you wouldn't believe what havic that causes around these parts. It's nuts.

Stay warm and think SPRING! Margo

o

Alana, I agree it is fun to build the box on just what looks like fun to me instead of trying to find things for someone specific.
Nice change there Dan Picking the recipient too is another good twist.
bb

o

Everyone is calling for spring, and my weather man told me that they are calling for more snow!! Oh well the kids will be happy. I planted an Amaryllis bulb that I got on clearance at Lowes. I can't wait to see it bloom. Here are some other things that are blooming at my house. It pays to have house plants in the winter :o)

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

"sweeping off veranda and putting out more chairs"..quite a crowd we have going here, Dan..have any of those flavored coffees? I only have the flavored teas..."arranging teas around Bailey's bottle and topping it off with fudge and brownies"..c'mon and sit down everyone!

o

Hello Everyone! It's good to hear that some of you are already working on your boxes, that is just too cool! And, it's also good to hear that you're enjoying the part about not knowing who your recipient is going to be for a while yet. I have found, during my time of participating in these swaps, that it's the surprises that I've enjoyed the most. The people at work, and my roommate, have all told me that my eyes light up like a little kid at Christmastime when I get a swap box. But that just makes a lot of sense, once I think about it. After all, who doesn't like to unwrap a gift? LOL!

Now, I have a question for you all. Would anyone mind if we made January 8th the deadline for signing up for this swap, instead of the 9th? I would like to use the 9th and 10th to allow everyone to pick their partners on a first-come, first-served basis. On the morning of January 9th, I will post a list of flower names. Each flower name will correspond with the name of someone playing in this swap, but you won't know who you're picking until I send you their mailing information. Once all the names have been picked, I will e-mail everyone with the name and address of their recipient. Once you know who you are sending your box to, please DO NOT tell anyone whose name you received. As people post about receiving their boxes, and who they received them from, the people who are still waiting for their boxes will get a bit more excited/anxious, trying to figure out where their box is coming from. ((GRIN)) Once you've mailed out your box, I would ask that you privately e-mail me, letting me you've sent it out, and what the delivery confirmation number is. That way, if someone's box gets delayed, you and I will both have the information needed to track it.
Confused? Want an example? Okay, here's a short one...

Say that, here at my house, I've got a list that says
Linda = sunflower
Alana = waterlily
Beth = rose
Amy = marigold
Dee = cosmos

Now, Beth gets to her computer first, and decides that she wants the waterlilies. She posts her choice and waits. Next, Dee gets online and, seeing that the waterlilies have been chosen, decides to go for the rose. Then Linda chooses marigolds, Alana likes sunflowers, and Amy is left with the cosmos. I would then do my e-mailing, telling Alana to send to Linda, Beth to send to Alana, Dee to send to Beth, Linda to send to Amy, and Amy to send to Dee.
Alana -> Linda, sunflower
Beth -> Alana, waterlily
Dee -> Beth, rose
Linda -> Amy, marigold
Amy -> Dee, cosmos

In the Pedal Pushers group, we did this in October, and it was a lot of fun. I'll post the list of flower choices Saturday morning, January 9th, with updates throughout the weekend so we can keep things on track, until all the choices have been made. I'll begin e-mailing people Sunday evening, even if not all the choices have been made yet. My "choice" will be the last flower standing. Now, if someone happens to choose themself, I'll do some behind-the-scenes juggling to make sure no one is mailing themself a box.

Any questions? LMK if so.

Peace.
-Dan

Happy New Year Pictures, Images and Photos
Fireworks Pictures, Images and Photos

o
just a couple of notes

Just a couple of notes I meant to post...

Amelia, I think a cookbook would be great to include in a box, especially one that's homemade! I've been meaning to say so, but somehow didn't get to it until now. Forgive me?

Linda, I found a chocolate caramel creamer tonight at the grocery store, and I'm going to be putting it in some fudge caramel coffee. Now, if you don't want a sip of that, I think we'd best be taking your temperature! LOL! I understand about the preferance for tea, but who do you really expect me to believe you wouldn't want to at least try some chocolate fudge caramel flavored coffee??? What's up with that???

o

Oh Linda give a confy chair my dogs are killing after along day. Hey does Baily's work with hot chocolate???

Heidi that's great that you have stuff blooming. By the way I did get your email, I thought I emailed you back. Sorry if I didn't. I hope you enjoyed what I sent.

Working on my box I'll have it ready as soon as I get a name.

Who ever gets my name please keep in mind that my zone is 9
and there is so much that I can't grow here. there are so many things that I love from the north. boo hoo. I just hate to waste perfectly good seeds.

MORE BAILYS PLEASE,
Hugs, Carmen

o

"bringing in a case of Bailey's"..no sense in running short..LOL. I think Bailey's in hot chocolate would be good.."pondering"

I like the ideas of the flowers, Dan, and making our choices. I have my box stuffed pretty full, guess I should add the seeds, huh?..LOL!!

o

Count me in! This sounds like a good one.
~ Tracy

o

Welcome Tracy, and anyone I've forgotten! LOL!
Here's the current list of players/lurkers. I need information from tropicalstorm and catrionaa.

dan-the-mailman/Dan (have info)
lindaruzicka/Linda (have info)
smitties/Margo (have info)
dirt-under-my-nails/April (have info)
lilangel181/Laura (have info)
gardencraze/Carmen (have info)
just1morehosta/Carol S. (have info)
jmt2213/Jenny (have info)
keiki/Robin (have info)
poisondartfrog/Alana (have info)
botanicalboi/Michael (have info)
beth_b_kodiak/Beth B (have info)
domehome/Dee (have info)
cryptid/Darrin (have info)
shansgarden/Shannon (have info)
tropicalstorm
veeja11/Carol B. (have info)
catrionaa/Kathy
joy_unspeakable/Tracy (have info)

and lurking about...
amelia-pepper-lady/Amy
hazelnutbunny/Melissa
hdiperna/Heidi
sakura_komichi/CA
allisonlwise/Allison

And now I'm heading off to bed. I don't know if I'll be posting tomorrow night or not, soooo....

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERYONE!!!

o

G'Night, Dan--Happy New Year's!

*jumping in to heat up the kettle for Bailey's with hot chocolate*

o

Dan, sounds like a good plan to me, and Linda, good thinking with that case of Baileys! *pulls out the cocoa mix and a very large mug* I'm getting a box together, but I think Ill save the seeds untill I know where they will be growing. So many people, so many zones, so little time!!
~L

o

Wishing you all a SAFE and HAPPY New Years Eve!!

o

Happy New Years everyone-and don't forget the designated driver if you are out. Happily, that will not be me this time, lol.
Alana

o

Happy New Year, all! - My wife and son and will welcome the new year the same way was always do,...out at my wife's folks', eating pizza and guzzling Martinelli's. :)

When you're out there on the road remember to especially watch out for *the other guy*!

o

A little more than four hours until 2010. We are home bodies tonight. My 16 year old and his 3 friends are going to be playing games in the basement and the 18 year old daughter and her friends will be having a Glee (tv show DVD) marathon. Sounds like fun, doesn't it :( I think I will be sneaking the Bailey's all night.

Dan, I like your way of choosing partners. Changing the dealine shouldn't be an issue since you have had this posted for a while.

Over the years of swaps we have done, my daughter and I always open the boxes together. We too are like kids at Christmas. It's fun and we are looking forward to the next box to arrive.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERYONE. May 2010 bring you nothing but happiness and lots of flowers.

o

WOW I have been sick and away from the puter for a couple of days and you folks have been busy. I really like the surprise part of this swap.

I love tea and brownies but honesly I have had more tea and broth than I care to think about. Im thinking that baileys is starting to sound good though.

Nice pictures hdiperna. I love houseplants but dont have much luck flowering african violets, yours are beautiful. I do however have lots of orchids that I bring in when in bloom.

Happy New Year everyone.

o

Working on my box also!!!Be safe everyone!!!

later...April

o

Happy New Year

FACING THE NEW YEAR

As we stand upon the threshold
Of another brand New Year,
Let us breathe a prayer that always
We shall have God's presence near.

Perhaps last year brought trials,
Heartaches, disappointments, too;
It also brought real triumphs,
Happiness and friendships new.

Only God, Who sees the future,
Knows all that lies ahead;
If we knew, our hearts might only
Fill with worry, fear and dread.

Let us face the year believing
That He Who loves us so
Will direct our every footstep--
Daily point the way to go.
Hugs, Carmen

o

What a great bunch of posts! Elly & I and our son got home about 1/2 an hour ago (it's 1:35 right now) from bringing in the new year as we always do, out at El's folks'. Instead of toasting with Martinelli's again this year, though, we all actually just had glasses of ice water. Kinda weird, but hey,...Mom told us she doesn't really care for sparkling cider anymore. Elsewise, we wolfed pizza and nibbled raw veggies. Neighbors far and near launched arial pyrotechnics, fired weapons and someone nearby set off a rattling loud carbide cannon. For our part, Elly's sister went out on the front porch and blew her Conch shell trumpet. LOL! It rained all day, yesterday, and still is even as I type. Many areas and roads are royally flooded, including spots along our route home. Fortunately, however, we're well familiar with where those spots materialize, and it definitely helped that there weren't many vehicles out-n-about. - Well,...time for bed, finally, so here's hoping you all had a good one! - Later-n-such! -Darrin

o

"cleaning up Bailey bottles, streamers off veranda floor as well as party horns and brownie crumbs"..my we certainly had a fun time, didn't we?..."wiping up table and setting out cups"..anyone for coffee and tea?...

o

Happy new decade, everyone! Glad to see everyone made it home safe and sound after a fun night out. Duncan and I had a quiet night in. He works in Port Huron, and between the holidays and his turn to work weekends he hadn't been home all month! *Sips tea and helps Linda sweep*
~Laura

o

Linda, please serve me up a good strong cup of coffee, with cream. Last night was nothing special for me and I don't drink too much but did have a glass of wine. The younger two had their friends over and some stayed overnight. They played cards and video games. My daughter who is soon to be 21 (on Tuesday) went to her boyfriends. She did not plan to drink because she had to work today. Well, the gang there bugged her and bugged her to drink so she had a couple of beers then offered a shot of tequilla. She was then talked into drinking a fruity drink and it turns out it had whisky and wine in it as well. Somewhere in there a yager bomb was mentioned. Keep in mind my daughter is not a heavy nor frequent drinker. Needless to say, she got pretty sick and called us to come get her. It was 2:30 in the morning and the jerk she calls a boyfriend lives 1/2 hour away. Then to make the matter worse, there was a freezing drizzle falling which added time to the drive. We got to the house and all the boys were afraid of was that we were going to call the police since there was underage drinking. They had a car running with her purse in it and planned to just stick her in it to wait for us so we wouldn't have to come up to the house. Now I call tha a caring boyfriend. Frankly, all I care about is the welfare of my daughter. She was pretty messed up but we made it home and put her to bed. She was not good this morning but went to work. I hope she has learned a lesson. She did mention she was done with that guy and that she won't be celebrating her birthday anymore.

I am disappointed that now she will be sitting home on her 21st instead of celebrating as she originally planned. She wasn't going to get drunk, just celebrate the big 21.

Anyway, the lack of sleep and the stress has given me a major headache.

I hope everyone else had a better experience than that.

o

Margo, at least she had the good sense to call you instead of trying to make her own way home or stay the night in that state. No harm no foul as I was once told.
~Laura

o

Margo, you raised her right if she called you to come and get her! It sounds as if she's done with him..good for her!
"pouring you a nice hot cup of tea"

o

Linda, thanks for the tea.

My husband drove daughter to work cause she didn't feel well. Afterwards, we both drove her back to get her car and I drove home with her.

She totally agreed with me that he has changed and not worth the hassle. She also agrees that he can't care much about her if he was more worried about me calling the police than her welfare. If she did not have her cell phone, I don't think he would have let her call me.

We have a pretty special relationship and are very close. She talks quite openly with me most of the time. She have my husband and I a big hug and thank you when she got home. She is tucked safely in bed fast asleep now.

Raising kids has its rewards but plenty of stress along the way. I guess you just have to keep on them about right and wrong and accountability for their actions but always be there for them.

I am going to grab another cup of tea and head for bed. Didn't get much sleep last night and had plenty to do today so I am ready to crash.

o

hello everyone, and welcome to 2010!!!

Today is the 2nd of January, which means we have just 6 more days to wait for anyone else who would like to sign up for this swap, or choose to change from "lurker" to "player". Come on Lurkers! ((chuckle))
It also means we will be choosing our partners in 7 days, beginning on Saturday the 9th.

We've had some people sign up for this swap, and we haven't heard anything from them since. So, what I would like to do during the oncoming week is this. When you're box is ready for mailing, or at least close to being ready (some people are waiting to put the seeds in), please do this. Post that you are ready, and also state whether or not you are okay with plants/cuttings being sent to you. Some of us are in climates where this would be okay, there are some people who prefer seeds and not plants, and there are a few like me, where shipping plants would be a death sentence to those plants.
Please note that IF you do not post your readiness (or not) for shipping, and your preference about receiving plants, I will be assuming that you've changed your mind about this swap, and you will not be included. This way, we can avoid any problems. Remember, this swap is supposed to be inexpensive, and simple. Even for the host.

And now, I'm going to get some quilting done. Everyone have a great weekend!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Hi every one,
I have missed you all.
We went up north for out Christmas celebration,and just got home yesterday evening, wow, you guys have really been going through the Bailys,that along with Dans eggnog,it's a wonder any of you are still standing,(or should i say,(sitting upright) ha ha
We had a great holiday,as always.Ate to much, and laughed a lot.
We came home to our basement being flooded,our electric was out for several days,we did hook up a device to empty out the sub pump, but it was not soon enough,all the water collected in the drainage pipes came into the basement,today, we are trying to salvage some of our things, carpet is soaked,and it was new,and not cheap,woe is me!!

I will post more in a few.

Carman, you are to funny, just exactly How Cold is it for you in sunny Florida?
Today,we are at a high of 3.Now,,,,,, that is COLD ,my friend.

Dan are there any brownies left,the ones with the secret ingredient?
I would like a couple later,so will you save me a few?2 would be fine.

I will be trying an Herb garden this year,any one have any advice on which ones to plant for butterflies,hummers,and pretty flowers?
I have ordered Calundulais(spelling)?
And i already have Lavender.
What else is a Must Have,in the Herb Garden?
It is so nice to be back.
Who wants to come over and help bailout the basement?
Now, don't cha all speak up at once,one at a time, one at a time.:0)
cAROL

o

Hi ya'll,tis the freezing florida girl LOL

Dan my box is almost ready I just need to do a little twiking LOL. I would love to get plants verces seeds... BUT I'm with you Dan, that would murder for those poor plants. SOOO no plants for me please. seeds and stuff will be fine.
Dan thanx so much for hosting and especialy for making it simple.I love the idea of turning us all into flowers.

Hi cAROL, if I had to live in that cold of a weather I don't know what I would do. Iam freezing at 56 today, tonight is gong to be low 30's yuuuk.
The only time I like this weather is when I'm having a real bad hot flash.
cAROL I'm so sorry you had that flood problem I pray it all works out for the good. Wow a new rug that stinks!

o

Carol, glad you had a safe and happy Christmas. Hah, we were warmer than you here with a high of 14. Brrrr
As for an herb garden, be sure to inclue at least one dill or fennel plant. These attract the black swallowtail butterfly. (The monarch loves the Mexican sunflower). I am not sure what it might attract but I love to grow curry, rosemary, and eucalyptus as they are very aromatic.

Dan, my contents are ready, just not in the box yet. Does that count? :) I cannot do cuttings at this time. The mailman leaves packages in my garage if I am not home and one hour out there would be the demise of anything alive.

Thanks for hosting and I will watch for further directions. Margo

o

Hi all. I can't believe that Saturday is over all ready. We are at about 19 degrees and super windy here in PA. If the wind isn't blowing I find the cold tolerable. I was taking down Christmas lights and my hands were numb. It only took me 10 min.

I guess I will officially move onto the playing list. I love houseplants, but don't think they would be happy in all this cold. Our house stays at about 64 degrees and some of my houseplants are not even happy at that temp. I don't have my box done. I have a list of things I would like to put into it though. I hope to have it ready by Tuesday.

Heidi

PS Margo if you get my name...curry and eucalyptus are 2 things I would love to have :o) Do you collect seeds from them?

PSS anyone have a good recipe using winter squash :o)

o

Box ready to send, `cept for seeds. Dang, this is *fun*! As for receiving plants and cuttings, all I can say is I'm So. Oregon Zone 7, so I'm not really ruling anything out. Would prefer seeds, though, overall. - Hope y'all are enjoying a great 2010 so far! :)

o

Hello all,
I'm one of those people who haven't posted since I signed up ... but I'm still here. Just not much to say. My box is'nt ready and I'm not sure what's going in there besides flower seeds. This is my second cold in as many months and I'm sick of being sick! As soon as my head clears I'm sure I'll come up with something else to put in there.
My husband just found a plastic bowl and big spoon with potting soil on them and accused me of eating dirt. "No dear just transplanting a few houseplants!"
Dee

o

Hi Dee, it's so good to see ya :o) The plants I got from you are doing great but we just had a very cold night so I'm hoping they it didn't harm them. Let me know when you are ready for another trade. :o)
You are too funny "eating dirt"

Heidi my son son lives in PA, in a little town called Coatsville, he just bought a beautiful home there.

Carol you can't have an herb garden without rosemary & lemon thyme. great for cooking and for tea.

Hi cryptid where do you live in Oregon? my friend lives in washington state. Is that even close?

Everyone else a big hello
Hugs Carmen

o

My box isn't ready either. Was thinking I would put it all together when I found out who's name I had and what they liked. I am also in Florida freezing my behind off but would prefer plants to seeds.

Dee thats funny, sounds like something my dh would say.

o

My sister's water broke last night!! She said that they anticipate the baby will be here by tonight. I am super excited!!

happy Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Wow, lots going on here!Margo my kids are over 40 and every once in a while one of them gives me another gray hair. Sounds like you are doing a good job.
Carol that is quite a mess and the cold sure doesn't help with the clean up efforts. Good luck there. I love herbs and second the plug for dill and fennel. Bronze fennel is a must have for me as it works well as filler in arrangements. Parsley is another one that gets eaten up by the butterfly larvae. Plant lots.
I don't think any of these will survive your winters but they are easy from seeds.
Margo please tell us more about curry and eucalyptus. They would be new for me.
Heidi. I have lots of recipes for winter squash. I have the Victory Garden Cookbook but my favorite is so easy, no recipe is needed.Split the squash in half and clean out seeds. Place cut side up in a baking dish with about half inch of water. Place some crushed pineapple or apple sauce into the cavity, sptinkle on a few rasins or crasins, a dab of butter or cooking spray and a dahs of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Bake at 350 until tender. usually about 30 to 45 min. This is easy, yummy and flexible enough to fit what you have on hand.
Hey CArmen, I remember Coatesville. Think there was a VA Hospital there.
I'm having a challeng finding stuff small enough to fit that little box. Except for candy of course, that fits fine
BB

o

okay, I walked out to get my paper and was about frozen to the paper box.."L". Nasty cold snowy stuff! The wind whistling is enough to make you hibernate!!

Everyone just raised an eyebrow when I was spouting about there being so many nuts on the trees, wooly black caterpillars, and squirrels stuffing their face full of nuts to bury! Nature will give you warning signs of impending nasty winters! "looking outside at cold nasty winter"...soooooo how many days till spring???..."making a cup of hot chocolate to warm me up"

My box is ready but the seeds....and please don't send me anything live...it won't survive in PA..."muttering under breath and getting more wood for the fireplace"....DEFINATELY need more Bailey's!!

o

Hello Everyone! It sounds like everyone is dealing with the bitter cold, so let me remind you that the 1st Day of Spring is now just 76 days away!
I was supposed to go out to my parents' place and blow snow for them today (they live about 13 miles out of town), but had to turn around about a mile away from them because of all the snow in the roads. My Impala just isn't designed to plow snow, don'tcha know? Luckily they've got a 4WD, so Mom will be able to bring Dad into town in the morning for his check-up. She really likes driving that truck! LOL!

Carol, how's the indoor pool coming along? That must've really been horrible to come home to!

Dee, even if you think you don't have anything to say, just say "hi". Go ahead and have a couple of brownies, some bailey's or eggnog, and tell us more about yourself.

And, now that I think about it, since there are so many new faces here, it wouldn't be a bad idea for all of us "oldtimers" to introduce ourselves. I'll start. My name is Dan, I'm single, 44, a rural mailcarrier, am owned by two cats named Bump and Stella, have a roommate named Joe, have had some type of garden since the age of 3, and my hobbies include, but aren't limited to, gardening, movies, music, facebook, cooking, quilting, basketweaving, and the beach. (Almost sounds like the beginning of one of those online dating ads, doesn't it?) While Linda likes to serve drinks mixed with bailey's, I like making brownies for everyone, and they always contain a bit of the special "oregano" I "grow" in my basement. I'm apt to lose my shorts in the pool, have spent time in an asylum (thank you all for taking me there!), and usually the innocent witness of all the hijinks that occur within this group. LOL! Trust me!

Heidi, any news updates on the baby? That's really good news!

For everyone who is waiting for names before working on their box... please, start working on them. Part of the surprise built into this swap is based on not knowing who you are getting until after your box is done. Don't worry about sending something your recipient doesn't like. If you send seeds they've never heard of, then maybe you'll be sending something they'll like, but wouldn't have thought to ask for. Some of the best seeds or stuff I've received in my boxes were the ones I didn't know I wanted! LOL! So, go for it! Build that box!

I've updated our list of players (Heidi made the leap, yay!!!) with the information that's been posted so far. I'll update it again in a few days... hope it helps!

dan-the-mailman/Dan (have info) -no plants, box ready
lindaruzicka/Linda (have info) -no plants, box ready
smitties/Margo (have info) -no plants, box almost ready
dirt-under-my-nails/April (have info)
lilangel181/Laura (have info)
gardencraze/Carmen (have info) -no plants, box ready
just1morehosta/Carol S. (have info)
jmt2213/Jenny (have info)
keiki/Robin (have info) -prefers plants to seeds
poisondartfrog/Alana (have info)
botanicalboi/Michael (have info)
beth_b_kodiak/Beth B (have info) -working on box
domehome/Dee (have info)
cryptid/Darrin (have info) -plants okay but prefers seeds, box ready
shansgarden/Shannon (have info)
tropicalstorm (need mailing info)
veeja11/Carol B. (have info)
catrionaa/Kathy (need mailing info)
joy_unspeakable/Tracy (have info)
hdiperna/Heidi (need mailing info) -no plants, working on box

and lurking about... (are you sure you can't come out and play?)
amelia-pepper-lady/Amy
hazelnutbunny/Melissa
sakura_komichi/CA
allisonlwise/Allison

As you can see, I still need mailing info, etc. from tropicalstorm and catrionna.

Everyone have a fantasic, warm day, y'hear?

Peace.
-Dan

o

Hi..my name is Linda and I'm a seed addict!..whoops..wrong place.."G"

I'm married with a 19 year old daughter that gives me my lovely silver highlights. My husband's name is Jeff and he's semi retired. I'm a former floral designer. We have 8 cats, 3 dogs, all rescued or abandoned. It's very amusing here alot of times with all the commotion they cause.

I love to garden. I love the way the earth feels in my hands and I love to plant things and see what comes up..(I dont' always keep good records where I plant what, in fact my mother bought me a stone that says "I don't remember planting this!")

I also love to read, write, crochet, embrodery, pottery, any kind of interesting crafts. I"m also a Red Hatter. I'm one of those crazy ladies you see out running around in purple clothes and big red hats.

I'm quiet, shy and retiring..except when Dan gets me in trouble...."Innocent look"...

o

OK Linda, not believing the quiet and shy thing.

Carol, I agree on the lemon thyme. I have some of that in my herb garden along with lemon balm. Makes for a wonderful aromatic weeding. As far as the curry and eucalyptus, I don't have seeds since neither has flowered yet. I bought them as plants and have brought them along with a Rosemary plant indoors to winter over. I tried a couple years ago and they did not make it. So far, so good this time.

Heidi, I hope that your sister has had that baby by now. Congratulations. I will be a great aunt for the first time this year. A little great nephew will be arriving some time in April. This will have to do until someone makes me a grandmother. We haven't had a baby in the family in 16 years.

By the way, I am Margo and I am also a seed addict but really, who here isn't? I will be 53 on the 12th of this month. I have been married to my husband, Adrian for 30 years and am the mother of 5. I work part time for a local sports store in the apparel department. Hopefully for another 4 years and then retirement. (Have to get those kids through college first).

In my spare time, (what little I get), I like to read, make jewelry, and takes photographs. My goal in retirement is to take photography classes and really get to know what I am doing.

My husband and I built our retirement home three years ago, (meaning no stairs :0 ) just outside of town on a 5 acre lot. We love it. He has learned to appreciate my gardening and is always willing to make new plots for me. He doesn't plant seeds or weed but loves the results of our combined efforts. Without his efforts, I wouldn't be able to garden. He even willingly put in an ornamental pond for me two years ago.

I am going to start the fireplace, grab one of Dan's brownies and enjoy a good book.

THINK SPRING!

o

Well,the basement is still wet, we are going to call the insurance company tomorrow,maybe they will cover some of the damage,ya know, you read about this kind of thing happening to people, but you really don't know the jest of it until it happens to you,so much mess,and where to start the clean up,i am suppose to go to my daughters tomorrow to help make soap,what to do*****what to do***** hubby says to go, so i probably will, leave the mess to him???Not nice eh?

Sorry i drank most of the Baileys last night,you are all so kind to not even mention it,it was a rough day,I did sleep well though.:0)

My box is coming along Dan,if i do go to Brenda's tomorrow, i will not be back til Thursday,but i will be ready with my box going out.

No live plants for me either, my mail man is not nice like our Dan,he would leave it out in the elements.
However, if any one has any Herb seeds they want to share, that would be nice.(if you get my name):0)

Ok, lets see,******
Oh, for those who do not know,my name is cAROL,spelled as such because there are several Carols here, and i would not want to confuse any one with my many questions as to which Carol is doing all the asking, it would not be fair to the others,so,,,I am cAROL.Nice to meet you.
I am 62, married to Wayne,have 4 children,3 boys,1 girl,Brenda, who i talk about ALOT,cause she is my best friend.
We have 2 cats who let us live with them, Cocoa,& Sammy.
Cocoa is anti social,the oldest,she is 9 years old.Sammy is a teenager,sleeps a lot,then eats a little,then sleeps some more,& a ( male) :0)
He is loving and sweet,not a mean bone in his body,Cocoa is just the opposite.
But we love them both.
I love doing all knids of things,will try any thing at least once.
My favorite is gardening, have had a garden most of my life,but had gotton away from it the last few years,dur to having only shade,then i found WSing,and got hooked,this is my 3rd season WSing,i am way behind, but will get cought up this month.Last year i did 250 containers,this year, i am starting a butterfly garden,and an Herb garden.
Any thing else you wanna know????Just ask ok.
cAROL

o
RE: new: mnf january 2010 s- new beginnings

oh,one more thing,
Dan, I wanted to ask you, I sent some seeds to a newbie, in a bubble envie,i put about $ 1.30, worth of stamps on the envie,slapped on a priority mail label, and they charged her $3.00something,maybe it was even more,they said because i used a priority mail label.
I was so embarrassed,here i was trying to do something nice,and it cost her money.
Whats up with that?
cAROL

o

Hello everyone!

This Christmas season has just flown by! Kids return to school tomorrow and everyone else goes back to work. We were blessed this year with good weather for the most part, but here in south Texas, you never know what tomorrow will bring. New Year's Eve it was sunny and in the 70's, today it's cold, overcast and mid 50's. DH just informed me that we will be down to mid 20's towards the end of the week!

Carol, sorry to hear about your flood. Our water heater decided to bust a leak two weeks ago and flooded the garage. Thankfully, the weather was good, but it still was a huge mess to clean up. DH tried to cut off the water, but the handle wouldn't turn all the way off and the plumber couldn't come out until the next morning. He ended up turning the water off to the house so we wouldn't be sopping up water all night. What saved me was that I used plastic storage containers for every thing. I hate to think what it would have been like had I stored things in boxes.

Linda, you are so right about the clues from nature. Our roving bands of squirrels were very busy this fall, obviously with good reason. Oh, and have you tried the Vanilla Spiced Rum coffee creamer? Nice change when Bailey's isn't appropriate!

Heidi, congratulations on the new baby!

Dan - I sent you my info last week, to the email listed on GW. I resent it again today, using that addy plus the GW email system. Let me know if you didn't get it!

My box is still in the designing process, but should be ready soon. This will be the 4th swap for me, and I have been enjoying every one of them. I live in zone 8, and am open to just about anything that will grow down here. My favorites are native perennials and bulbs of all kinds. I also enjoy container gardens and garden whimsical items. I've got so many seeds from the swaps that I will be starting many of them early so they can go into the ground at the earliest possible time. (My family will love this idea!) My other interests are scrapbooking, sewing, baking, quilting, embroidery, and crafting garden whimsey items. I'm married with two teenagers - a girl and a boy and we have two Australian Shepherds who love to run through my flower beds.

~Kathy

o

Hi all

No baby yet, but things are finally progressing.

A little about myself... I am 28 years old. I went to school to get my Veterinary Technician License but now I am a stay at home mom. I have been married for 4 years but I have been with my husband for about 15 years. We have two little boys ages 3 and 1. I am the oldest of 6 kids. The last 4 are still in school. My mom is not a part of our lives so I help out my Dad a lot. I am new to gardening. I will be wintersowing for the first time thanks to the generosity of people on GW. Between swaps and SASBE offers I have some awesome things to plant. I have 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs inside. I have two dogs outside. They lived with my small dairy goat herd until this past summer when I had to find them all new homes. I recently ordered a book called Making Plant Medicine because I would love to be able to use my garden for more then just something to look at. I love to make different things and wish I knew how to crochet and quilt.

I will stop there, but feel free to ask if there is anything else you want to know.

well back to working on things for my box.

Heidi

o

Hi everyone,
I'm 60 years old and have had a garden for ever. I have always had something growing even that special 'oregano'
I have been married to my best friend Mark for 25 yrs. Have two wonderful children DD 36 and DS 31 I have 3 grandmunchkins that I just adore. I love to gardening and crafting I'm forever making something that I saw somewhere that cost too much but was easy to make. I love shaby chic and going to garage sales and flea markets.Really don't like seeds because I'm too old (or too impatient)to wait on stuff to grow. But there is really nothing going on in the winter so, seeds it is!

Smitties I'm ready for a baby fix too, love babies

cAROL 250 cotainers????? I thought I was bad

Heidi hoping all goes well for baby & mommy, congrats.

Hugs, Carmen

o

Hi Kids!

cAROL, that priority label you used on your envie was what turned your first class envie into a priority one, and thusly cost an extra $3. you're not the first person to do this, so don't feel bad. even this mailman has been known to make that mistake.

Kathy, not only did I receive both of your e-mails today with your info, but found your first one, making 3 copies of it! That's why I'm posting those lists, so y'all can help me keep it together! LOL! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (that's once for every e-mail...)

Linda, I find it quite funny that no one is buying that innocent look of yours, but apparently believe that I'm the innocent witness to all you hooligans get up to. LOL! Want another brownie?

Oh, speaking of brownies, I baked another batch of them whilst cutting out quilt pieces today. I wasn't paying attention and wound up cutting enough material for two 8'x8' quilts, so I think I'm going to make one reversible quilt out of it all.

Heidi, if you've got a sewing machine and can line up two pieces of fabric and sew them together, you can quilt. I've included a website you can go to for starters. If you have a fabric store in your neighborhood, you can find some good books which will help you out. Also, public libraries are good places for how-to books. Good luck!

Margo, how's the book? I think I'm gonna go plunge into the latest Stephen King in a few minutes...

And I believe that's it for me tonight. I'm gonna go check in on my farm on farmville, then grab a book and do some reading.

Peace.
-Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: how to make a quilt

o

Heidi,
Do we have a baby yet?
cAROL

o

Yes we have a baby...

Jacob Armington Bowen
6lbs 3oz 18in long
born at 6:07pm.

Mom and baby are doing well. My sister was huge so I think it is funny that she had such a little guy. I hope to have pictures tomorrow.

Heidi

o

Well Dan, never did pick up that book. I looked at the Christmas ornaments I had taken off the tree and decided it was time to finish up the job. It took several hours to pack up all the ornaments and decorations and now I am beat.

We bought a fresh cut tree this year but as soon as we got it up, it started dropping needles. I don't understand why it did what it did and maybe it is what that type of tree does but never again. When we chose the tree, we were told it was 35 but when we got to the money man, it was 55! I loved the tree so didn't argue. Did I mention, never again? It was a huge, beautiful tree but by the time we took it down, the needles were raining down at the slightest touch. Our carpeting underneath looked like turf. It was horrible. There was very little mess as hubby took it outdoors cause there wasn't much left on it. Again, NEVER AGAIN for this type of tree.

I forgot to mention my animal family in my post above. We have Begger the dog who has been with us for 11 years next month. We also have 5 cats, 4 of which found us. They are Joey, Miss Kitty, Bump, (had a hernia when we found him), Webber, (brother to Bump and Peanut), and Peanut (sister to Bump and Webber). Would you believe we used to be a non cat family? There is no avoiding kitties when you live in the country. I have a cockatiel and we also have 2 parakeets. The cockatiels has a limited vocabulary but does say "give me kiss" and actually makes a kissing sound, "thank you", "nite nite", "what?" and does several whistle imitations. He's pretty cute.

Heidi, I am really feeling sorry for your sister. That has been a long labor bless her heart. Looking forward to hearing that baby has been born.

So, off to the couch I go with my book and this time I mean it. Can't be sure I will stay awake but at least I will relax. The book is a cheesy novel and I can predict the end. Time to go to the library.

o

Congratulations Aunt Hiedi,yes,he is a tiny little guy.
I bet you are all glad that is over, she had a long labor eh.
I will be gone for a few days, but will look forward to seeing picturs when i get back.
Going to bed now myself, gotta be on the road early.
Nitty nite every one.
cAROL

o

Hi, all--Dan, my box is almost ready--just a few more things to pack in. I'm in a warm part of the country so cuttings will do fine here. I'd prefer seeds since I'm in flux right now and seeds travel better, but I won't say no to a good plant if it finds it's way to me.

My husband of 13 years, Herb, and I are looking for our "forever" house and trying to get back into the working world after moving back to California from Boston. We sold our first house and moved out there so he could study fine furniture making in hopes of eventually turning his hobby into a business making fine quality chairs (Windsor rockers, reproduction Chippendales, etc.) I taught Word, Excel, Business English, and Medisoft software while we were there, and sorely missed having a garden in our third floor apartment. I managed to keep some herbs going in the window though! (Hey, we all gotta do what we can :-) We're looking for a place with room for a shop and a garden that's not too far outside of a town where at least one of us can work--around here that's really hard to find in our price range, but we'll keep on keeping on until we can find it. In the meantime, we're keeping house, doing maintenance, and breaking out various art and craft projects at my Mom's place while she gets her footing in her new job.

Heidi, congratulations on the new nephew!!

cAROL, I'm sorry to hear about the flooding--that's a mess to clean. Our hot water heater broke while we were in Boston. Thank goodness it was in the stairway and not the apartment, but it made for quite a waterfall effect.

And hello to everyone else :-)

*snagging a brownie as the plate comes around*

--Shannon

o

Hello Jacob, and Congratulations Auntie cAROL!!! Just think cAROL, you've now got a new nephew to share your gardening with! When should we start sending Jacob seeds? ((grin))

I'm home today, waiting on my brother-in-law to come help me fix my furnace. With all the snow we've gotten, it's plugged up the intake pipe (at least, I'm hoping that's all it is), so he'll be here in a few hours to make sure that's all it is. It definitely pays to have someone in heating and cooling in the family! The furnace quit last night shortly after 11pm, so we all piled into the master bedroom after turning on all the faucets so the pipes wouldn't freeze, and pretty much went cold weather camping inside the house. Talk about brrrrrrrr!!! Bring on the hot coffee!

Peace.
-Dan

o

I have never done anything like this before, Sounds like lots of fun. I can get into the Baileys!!!!1 I also am a rural mail carrier (Northern MI). Love to golf and am learning to garden, husband bought me a greenhouse last year and I had a ball!
ANYWAY SIGN ME UP!!!!
Dawn

o

Hi all, so much has happened since Ive been sick! Congrats to auntie, and sorry to hear about everyones leaks and plugs and whatnots. Im working on my box, and since today I feel well enough to leave the bedroom and sit on the couch I think Im going to make 2 piles of seeds to send. One that will survive the north, and one for southern zones. I have a nice mailman so even though its cold here I can do plants if theyre well packed and I know when theyll arrive. Also, Ive started a succulent garden and little enclosed terrariums *hint*hint*. Seeds are good too.

A little about me? Ill be 25 next week and this past year was my very first garden, which quickly outgrew the tiny outdoor space. Im a photographer, and student, and I love various arts like painting and photography. I have two very spoiled (overweight!) cats, Zoe and Rufus, who have been taking shifts looking after me since Ive been sick. They are both rescues. Zoe is about 3, a gray tabby, dainty and aloof. Rufus is about a year and a half-ish. He is a ginger and white tabby, a SERIOUS mommas boy, and at over 15 lbs likes to sleep on my chest at night.
Photobucket Did I mention these are my babies? :)
~Laura

o

Awww, I stay away for just a little bit, and Linda's trying to convince everyone she's shy (phhtttpp!), and Heidi is an Aunt!
Well, congrats to Heidi & SHAME ON YOU, Miss Linda!! LOL!

No HEATER, Dan?? Shiver your timbers!! (Pass the bailey's, Linda!!)

But could you pour me some tea, please? (I need to pass on the Baileys...but just until April, OK?) :O)
I was so looking forward to the new year, ready to get '09 out of my system. LOL BUT, it started with a bang (and then some!).
Hubby's aunt was taken to the ER on Christmas. She's got advanced lymphoma, in her chest, lungs & organs. She's not expected to make it very long (and she never even admitted she felt sick, so no one had a clue!!). She's got 2 young boys, so it's a horrible situation.
And then...all my boys went camping over the weekend, to get their winter camping honor for Pathfinders (like Boy Scouts, but it's a Christian group). We got 4" of snow Saturday night, so they got the honor.
BUT..while they were sleeping on Saturday, someone cut the oil lines on the Suburban. So they were stranded out in the national forest, with no way for me to get to them (they had the only running vehicle). *sigh*
But it could have been worse- they could've slashed the tires. I just can't understand what makes someone do something so mean. Hubby was out with 3 young boys, under the age of 13....in the snow....and they had to do this to him! We figured that since it was hunting season, the boys accidentally spooked someone's deer, and they retaliated. Stupid & moronic...but there ya go.

ANYWAY. I surely hope that this is NOT indicative of how our 2010 is going to go!
UGH!

o

hello everyone! my name is jacki. i'm from a little town in michigan and it is freezing!! i am 19 and just got done with college and i am waiting to take my phlebotomy certification exam on the 14th. I love to garden and have been collecting seeds and growing my own plants for years. i love wildflowers and beans and peppers. Two years ago i built an herb garden, and this spring i am planning on building on to it. I have a 3 year old cat named kiki who loves to hang out with me when i garden and play in the catnip. she's my baby and is extremely spoiled. i also have a 10 year old golden retriver named grace and a tank full of guppies. I am looking forward to the swap!!

o

Wow! It is as cold here as I ever remember it being. We have been in the single digits the last two nights and more in the forecast.
On the bright side, I had a bit of daylily rust toward the end of the season for the first time ever. Maybe these temps will help me get a handle on it.
It is nice to see a lot of new names participating.
I have only been around GW a few years, but I have been an avid gardener and greenhouse grower for a long time. I keep rabbits and chickens, mostly for manure but I am an animal lover in general. I like to read and travel and I am a horror movie buff.

No cuttings for me right now, thanks. Seeds will do nicely. My box is ready to go.
Have a great week,
Alana

o

Wow! So many Michiganders here... greetings from Lansing!!
Linda, you arent so innocent and Dan, neither are you, so no one should be fooled! *GRINS*

Welcome to the newest garden web members. Please dont forget to set up your member pages and email (bottom of this page, it says member pages!) so that people will know what youre interested in and how to contact you if they need.

Now, off to find a thermometer so I can see if my fever is down...
~Laura

o

I GOT HEAT!!!

Work started on the furnace at about 12:30, and we found it wasn't just a matter of cleaning out the snow from the intake pipe. Nope, it had to be the blower motor, don'tcha know!? Everything else tested fine, and after giving everything a good vacuuming and replacing the motor (I don't even want to mention how much all this cost me, even with the b-i-l discount), the temperature in the house is now a balmy 74, and I'm running around barefoot again.
Heat is a wonderful thing!

Welcome to the newcomers! We're glad to have you in the mix! Just to re-iterate the requirements for this swap, we're each sending a small flat-rate priority box with seeds, a card or letter about yourself, and anything else you can fit inside it. Read the whole thread please, there've been some wonderful suggestions made as to what else to send. Prior to Friday night, please post the readiness of your box and your preferences about receiving plants/cuttings or not. Also, I'm asking that your box be done or near done BEFORE we choose recipients this upcoming week-end. I'll be posting more on that on Saturday morning. Remember, the earlier you check in and post your choices this upcoming week-end, the better off you will be. I will be e-mailing you sometime Sunday afternoon/evening with the name of who you are sending your package to. I think that about covers it. If not, you who have been here for the whole ride, please let me know what I've forgotten.

And now, I'm off to go mix up some margaritas 'cuz I'm enjoying the heat!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Congratulations auntie Heidi I'm so glad all is well.

Dan so happy for you, heat is wonderful, we had 38 degrees at night for two weeks and guess what... my system was down too no heat. thank God mine is fixed also.

WELCOME new comers.

Hi Alana good to see ya.

Hugs, Carmen

o

cAROL, a must have for herb gardens is anise hyssop. it smells amazing, has beautiful purple flowers and i always see bumble bees and butterflys on it.
heidi congratulations!!!! i'm sure he's a little adorable angel =)

o

Ok I got the pictures :o)

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am very happy for her. Ever since she was little she wanted to have a family. I hope that all continues to go well for her!

well I am going to go play "Just Dance". If you have a wii you need to get this game. Not only is it a good workout it is fun and funny depending on if you are playing or watching :op

Heidi

o

My box is sealed and ready to go!

o

Hello Dawn and Jacki, good to see you joining in. I see you are both from Michigan. I am a former Michigander although not from the north. I don't think I could handle all that snow you get up in the norhtern parts.

We did receive about 2 inches of snow today. I had a return at Walmart today and while leaving the parking lot, I tried to turn out of my lane and the car would not turn. It just kept sliding straight and into the curb. I would have thought it would just jump the curb but no, it slammed in just the right angle and I bent the rim. Grrrrrr Of course the tire has to be replaced too so that little slide will be about 300 to 400 dollars.

Dan, I envy your temperatures now that your furnace is fixed. My hubby keeps us at 68 and less at night. We do make good use of our fireplace though.

Laura, I was happy to read about your big tabby. We have three little tabby cats that we found abandoned last August as little kittens. They are estimated to be about 6-7 months now. Our biggest boy weighs 11 pounds and the family has been worried maybe he had issues. I have been trying to assure them he was just a big boy. He is pretty funny to watch though.

I am going to head to the post office tomorrow for my box and then get it finished up. All I will have have to do is add a little note and get it off in the mail.

THINK SPRING!

o

Picked up my box today and working on packing it full. I like this idea for a swap Dan, suprisingly you can fit a good bit into the small box. It's kind of like Christmas, I always enjoy the little gifts from the stocking!

It's unusually cold here this week, but I'm up for cuttings if anyone sends them my way.

~ Tracy

o

beautiful baby and mom looks like nothing happened, congrats. Dan suprised to find out you are a wino. I am a carol also dh and I downsized about 4 yrs ago to 1/4 acre in a small town, sold our bigger place and made enough profit to pay for this one nothing on land so we bought 100 yards of dirt and planted a u-haul full of plants we brought with us. I was a floral designer untill laid off in november, now retired ready to plant seeds in cold frame put walla walla's in today. we have a nice size veggie garden and 8 dwarf fruit trees 2 dogs a jack female and big old mix we inhearited when daughter moved here, also inhearited zippy the ornate box turtle. Bunny sign up for facebook please. can't wait to pick my name
Dan I see you announced you are in heat good luck with that

o

I like finding out about everybody.
I'm Dee, 52, a retired investor, and a lifelong California girl except for a year of living in New Mexico where most of my relatives are. I live on 24 acres on the central coast area. I'm married, have 2 grown daughters 22 and 26, and one granddaughter 16 months. I love to landscape garden and last year I put in my first vege garden. I also do woodworking, cement and garden art, and other artsy things. I have a yorkie, a kittie, a pac-man frog, numerous fish, and an african tortoise. I also do volunteer work with children.
Opp, being called to dinner! Stop by tomarrow.
Dee

o

I wrote a long post and my computer mouse went haywire (ugh!) and I lost the post, so I'll try again. I'd love to join the Round Robin exchange. This sounds like a lot of fun and I'm new to this.

I'm 41, married, live in PA (brrrr!!!!), have five children, a dog and three cats. The cats adopted US. They were born in our backyard last summer. Well, two of them were and the third one came later because the one was pregnant. We coulnd't find good homes for them, so they're ours now. :)

I have several small flower gardens and a veggie garden. I live on a city lot, so I utilize the space I have very well. :) If there's dirt, I plant!

Happy New Year to everyone! I'm very excited to join this exchange.

Alicia

o

Ok where to start? I am 45, married and live in South Florida. I have 4 legged children only. Keiki is a shitzu, Kirby is a cocker spaniel mix and Peg is a rescued 3 legged cat. Keiki is my little girl and I can't imagine home without her. Kirby is the happiest dog I have every met, he loves everyone. I am sad to say he is losing his hearing and life is changing for him but at 15 we have to expect that. Peg came to us and wouldn't leave. Neither of us are cat people but she has definately found her way in my hubbys heart and has made her place in the family. I also work for the post office, I am a clerk. I love to garden as all of us do. I inherated my mums orchids sure I would kill them all but it has turned into my passion. I also love to grow edibles, tropical fruit and veggies mostly. I have 3 brothers and a sister and it has been a really hard year for us. I am hopeful that 2010 is going to be better for us. This exchange along with the secret santa have been a wonderful escape for me. Thank you for letting me join in.

Beth B that winter squash dish sounds wonderful. I am going to try is asap.

o

Welcome all new people. I am glad that we are getting to know each other...

domehome~ first let me say that my DH thinks its awesome you live in a domehome. I am interested in seeing some pictures of your art work. What kind of things do you do with cement?

lady alicia~ Where in Pa are you. I am right off 61 near Sunbury. I loved your garden pictures. Everything is so neat and tidy. Do you put your kids to work helping out in the gardens? My Dad always told me that the purpose of kids was to have someone to help you with the chores :o)

keiki~I have a 3 legged dog. Isn't it amazing how they just go on as if nothing is wrong with them!! I tried to grow an orchid once. It grew a new leaf and I thought it was doing good and then all of a sudden it was dead. I was pretty upset. What is the trick to their survival?

To all the new comers...Dan and Linda are trouble...they have been known to start a few food fights!! :op

Heidi

o

trouble?..trouble?...me????..it's all Dan!.."pointing to Dan"...It's great to see all the newbies.."waving to newbies"...Alicia, where in Pa do you live? I live east of Pittsburgh. Isn't this snow ridiculous???

"putting on more tea water, plugging in the coffee pot with some of Dan's flavored coffee and whipping up a batch of chocolate chip cookies"...it's nice to get to know a little about everyone..."S"

o

Hey! Nice to meet everyone.

A little about myself. I'm a stay at home mom in the piedmont of NC. I have an 8 yr old daughter and a 4 year old son, both like to help me in the garden and I hope it sticks with them. I'm mainly a veggie gardener. I love flowers, but I don't have a lot of luck them, especially growing them from seed. Though I haven't put as much effort into growing flowers as I have the vegetable gardens and fruit trees. Aside from gardening, I like canning and cooking (and eating). And when I have the time and a clean space, I like to scrapbook.

Before I had kids, I was a full time Paramedic and Emergency Medical Instructor. Now I teach emergency medical classes in the evening, and Anatomy & Physiology at the local community college.

We have a happy hunting dog and a bowl full of goldfish that we won at the fair (and I was sure they wouldn't last a year but have been with us for three years!)

I've enjoyed meeting new friends here and look forward to making many more!

~ Tracy

o

Tracy have you ever tried winter sowing. This is my first year trying it myself, but some people swear by it. I also have a problem starting things from seed, but this way seems fool proof :o) The only down side is that some perennials don't bloom till the second year. Glad there are annuals to keep the color.

I hope the winter sowing link shows up at the bottom of this post!!

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing faq

o

Heidi cogratulations on the new nephew. Mom amd baby look super.
My box is about ready to go. I may be adding a few cuttings if it is going to a safe climate. HAte to brag but it's a sunny55 here today. After living in AK for years I have adjusted to AZ very well.
I do miss winter sowing though but with all the sun here the bottles heat up too much AND the @#$&#@ JAvelina would destroy them anyway.
BB

o

Hello to all!
My box is almost ready. this is a fun project. I don't think I could send or receive any plants due to cold here, but maybe trade some in spring! I am trying to overwinter some geraniums in my indoor greenhouse ( in hubby's garage) I seem to be having fairly good luck.
We too have 3 dogs, they are always in the greenhouse with me and the garden also. They eat as many veges as my husband and I, they ALWAYS get the first asparagus because they walk down the row and nip it off.
Off for now, keep your chin up it is almost spring!!!!!
D

o

This sounds like lots of fun! Please count me in!

o

I really hate to sound stupid, But how does this work?

o

OK, Dan, I went to the PO today and picked up a small box. Now that I know what size we're dealing with (and I've confirmed that what I have to share will fit in the box)...move me on up! I'm a lurker no more!

I'm impressed by the huge turnout this month. Very exciting.

~CA

o

Hi clabarr and obrionusa welcome pull up a chair by the fire place and Miss Linda will bring you some tea :o)

obrionusa, just go up to the beginning of the post and follow the plan. aaaand no you are not sounding stupid.
This works really wonderful you will make new friends and get lots of stuff that you'll love. Boy do I sound stupid LOL

read the begining of the thread and you get most of the info you need then if you have any questions just ask.
Have fun.
Heidi, the baby is soooo cute!!!!!

Hugs, Carmen

o

What an interesting group... are any of you on Facebook? I used to be very active in Garden Web, but have been busy with other things the last few years.

I got rid of all of my seeds as they were getting old, so I need to start anew. This past summer I worked in Yellowstone National Park, so didn't do much gardening. I really missed it, but loved working in the park.

I plan to purchase new seeds to put in the seed exchange. Any special things people would like to try?

o

Please go to the next thread for this swap to post. We're getting close to the upper limit of posts, so I'll be starting a new thread as soon as I post this message. Thanks!

-The Management (Dan)

o
part one is now closed

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here