Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

new: mnf january 2010 swap - new beginnings

dan_the_mailman
14 years ago

A new year means new possibilities to just about everyone I know. So, I thought we'd make this a rather simple swap AND make it all about new beginnings. Whether we give some seeds a new beginning by winter-sowing them, give ourselves a new attitude or habit, or make new friends, we start out with high hopes and a plan to see it through. And kudos to us all for making those new starts! Right?

So, what does this swap entail you ask? Here are the details...

1) Players may sign up until January 9th. Everyone is welcome to join, whether they've been in this group before or not.

2) All players need to send me their name, mailing address, e-mail address, and garden web name when the sign up. I will not be looking these up, but I will post a reminder a few days before the 10th for those who forget.

3) Please have a small, yes, small, flat-rate priority box ready to go into the mail by January 11th, which is when I will e-mail you with your recipients name and address.

4) Your box should include seeds and a card or letter for your recipient, and anything else you might like to share with them. Treat your partner like you would want to be treated.

5) Please, try to post on this thread and join the conversation more than once. This is a good way to make new friends and provides an excellent escape for us all. Not posting more than once could, and most likely will, result in your being dropped from this swap.

6) Lastly, and most importantly, HAVE FUN THIS MONTH!

May peace, health, truth, and contentment rule our lives in 2010.

-Dan

Comments (142)

• gardencraze
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Dee, it's so good to see ya :o) The plants I got from you are doing great but we just had a very cold night so I'm hoping they it didn't harm them. Let me know when you are ready for another trade. :o)
    You are too funny "eating dirt"

Heidi my son son lives in PA, in a little town called Coatsville, he just bought a beautiful home there.

Carol you can't have an herb garden without rosemary & lemon thyme. great for cooking and for tea.

Hi cryptid where do you live in Oregon? my friend lives in washington state. Is that even close?

Everyone else a big hello
    Hugs Carmen

• keiki
    14 years ago

My box isn't ready either. Was thinking I would put it all together when I found out who's name I had and what they liked. I am also in Florida freezing my behind off but would prefer plants to seeds.

Dee thats funny, sounds like something my dh would say.

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

My sister's water broke last night!! She said that they anticipate the baby will be here by tonight. I am super excited!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Wow, lots going on here! Margo my kids are over 40 and every once in a while one of them gives me another gray hair. Sounds like you are doing a good job.
    Carol that is quite a mess and the cold sure doesn't help with the clean up efforts. Good luck there. I love herbs and second the plug for dill and fennel. Bronze fennel is a must have for me as it works well as filler in arrangements. Parsley is another one that gets eaten up by the butterfly larvae. Plant lots.
    I don't think any of these will survive your winters but they are easy from seeds.
    Margo please tell us more about curry and eucalyptus. They would be new for me.
    Heidi. I have lots of recipes for winter squash. I have the Victory Garden Cookbook but my favorite is so easy, no recipe is needed. Split the squash in half and clean out seeds. Place cut side up in a baking dish with about half inch of water. Place some crushed pineapple or apple sauce into the cavity, sptinkle on a few rasins or crasins, a dab of butter or cooking spray and a dahs of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Bake at 350 until tender. usually about 30 to 45 min. This is easy, yummy and flexible enough to fit what you have on hand.
    Hey CArmen, I remember Coatesville. Think there was a VA Hospital there.
    I'm having a challeng finding stuff small enough to fit that little box. Except for candy of course, that fits fine
    BB

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

okay, I walked out to get my paper and was about frozen to the paper box.."L". Nasty cold snowy stuff! The wind whistling is enough to make you hibernate!!

Everyone just raised an eyebrow when I was spouting about there being so many nuts on the trees, wooly black caterpillars, and squirrels stuffing their face full of nuts to bury! Nature will give you warning signs of impending nasty winters! "looking outside at cold nasty winter"...soooooo how many days till spring???..."making a cup of hot chocolate to warm me up"

My box is ready but the seeds....and please don't send me anything live...it won't survive in PA..."muttering under breath and getting more wood for the fireplace"....DEFINATELY need more Bailey's!!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone! It sounds like everyone is dealing with the bitter cold, so let me remind you that the 1st Day of Spring is now just 76 days away!
    I was supposed to go out to my parents' place and blow snow for them today (they live about 13 miles out of town), but had to turn around about a mile away from them because of all the snow in the roads. My Impala just isn't designed to plow snow, don'tcha know? Luckily they've got a 4WD, so Mom will be able to bring Dad into town in the morning for his check-up. She really likes driving that truck! LOL!

Carol, how's the indoor pool coming along? That must've really been horrible to come home to!

Dee, even if you think you don't have anything to say, just say "hi". Go ahead and have a couple of brownies, some bailey's or eggnog, and tell us more about yourself.

And, now that I think about it, since there are so many new faces here, it wouldn't be a bad idea for all of us "oldtimers" to introduce ourselves. I'll start. My name is Dan, I'm single, 44, a rural mailcarrier, am owned by two cats named Bump and Stella, have a roommate named Joe, have had some type of garden since the age of 3, and my hobbies include, but aren't limited to, gardening, movies, music, facebook, cooking, quilting, basketweaving, and the beach. (Almost sounds like the beginning of one of those online dating ads, doesn't it?) While Linda likes to serve drinks mixed with bailey's, I like making brownies for everyone, and they always contain a bit of the special "oregano" I "grow" in my basement. I'm apt to lose my shorts in the pool, have spent time in an asylum (thank you all for taking me there!), and usually the innocent witness of all the hijinks that occur within this group. LOL! Trust me!

Heidi, any news updates on the baby? That's really good news!

For everyone who is waiting for names before working on their box... please, start working on them. Part of the surprise built into this swap is based on not knowing who you are getting until after your box is done. Don't worry about sending something your recipient doesn't like. If you send seeds they've never heard of, then maybe you'll be sending something they'll like, but wouldn't have thought to ask for. Some of the best seeds or stuff I've received in my boxes were the ones I didn't know I wanted! LOL! So, go for it! Build that box!

I've updated our list of players (Heidi made the leap, yay!!!) with the information that's been posted so far. I'll update it again in a few days... hope it helps!

dan-the-mailman/Dan (have info) -no plants, box ready
    lindaruzicka/Linda (have info) -no plants, box ready
    smitties/Margo (have info) -no plants, box almost ready
    dirt-under-my-nails/April (have info)
    lilangel181/Laura (have info)
    gardencraze/Carmen (have info) -no plants, box ready
    just1morehosta/Carol S. (have info)
    jmt2213/Jenny (have info)
    keiki/Robin (have info) -prefers plants to seeds
    poisondartfrog/Alana (have info)
    botanicalboi/Michael (have info)
    beth_b_kodiak/Beth B (have info) -working on box
    domehome/Dee (have info)
    cryptid/Darrin (have info) -plants okay but prefers seeds, box ready
    shansgarden/Shannon (have info)
    tropicalstorm (need mailing info)
    veeja11/Carol B. (have info)
    catrionaa/Kathy (need mailing info)
    joy_unspeakable/Tracy (have info)
    hdiperna/Heidi (need mailing info) -no plants, working on box

and lurking about... (are you sure you can't come out and play?)
    amelia-pepper-lady/Amy
    hazelnutbunny/Melissa
    sakura_komichi/CA
    allisonlwise/Allison

As you can see, I still need mailing info, etc. from tropicalstorm and catrionna.

Everyone have a fantasic, warm day, y'hear?

Peace.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Hi..my name is Linda and I'm a seed addict!..whoops..wrong place.."G"

I'm married with a 19 year old daughter that gives me my lovely silver highlights. My husband's name is Jeff and he's semi retired. I'm a former floral designer. We have 8 cats, 3 dogs, all rescued or abandoned. It's very amusing here alot of times with all the commotion they cause.

I love to garden. I love the way the earth feels in my hands and I love to plant things and see what comes up..(I dont' always keep good records where I plant what, in fact my mother bought me a stone that says "I don't remember planting this!")

I also love to read, write, crochet, embrodery, pottery, any kind of interesting crafts. I"m also a Red Hatter. I'm one of those crazy ladies you see out running around in purple clothes and big red hats.

I'm quiet, shy and retiring..except when Dan gets me in trouble...."Innocent look"...

• smitties
    14 years ago

OK Linda, not believing the quiet and shy thing.

Carol, I agree on the lemon thyme. I have some of that in my herb garden along with lemon balm. Makes for a wonderful aromatic weeding. As far as the curry and eucalyptus, I don't have seeds since neither has flowered yet. I bought them as plants and have brought them along with a Rosemary plant indoors to winter over. I tried a couple years ago and they did not make it. So far, so good this time.

Heidi, I hope that your sister has had that baby by now. Congratulations. I will be a great aunt for the first time this year. A little great nephew will be arriving some time in April. This will have to do until someone makes me a grandmother. We haven't had a baby in the family in 16 years.

By the way, I am Margo and I am also a seed addict but really, who here isn't? I will be 53 on the 12th of this month. I have been married to my husband, Adrian for 30 years and am the mother of 5. I work part time for a local sports store in the apparel department. Hopefully for another 4 years and then retirement. (Have to get those kids through college first).

In my spare time, (what little I get), I like to read, make jewelry, and takes photographs. My goal in retirement is to take photography classes and really get to know what I am doing.

My husband and I built our retirement home three years ago, (meaning no stairs :0 ) just outside of town on a 5 acre lot. We love it. He has learned to appreciate my gardening and is always willing to make new plots for me. He doesn't plant seeds or weed but loves the results of our combined efforts. Without his efforts, I wouldn't be able to garden. He even willingly put in an ornamental pond for me two years ago.

I am going to start the fireplace, grab one of Dan's brownies and enjoy a good book.

THINK SPRING!

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Well,the basement is still wet, we are going to call the insurance company tomorrow,maybe they will cover some of the damage,ya know, you read about this kind of thing happening to people, but you really don't know the jest of it until it happens to you,so much mess,and where to start the clean up,i am suppose to go to my daughters tomorrow to help make soap,what to do*****what to do***** hubby says to go, so i probably will, leave the mess to him???Not nice eh?

Sorry i drank most of the Baileys last night,you are all so kind to not even mention it,it was a rough day,I did sleep well though.:0)

My box is coming along Dan,if i do go to Brenda's tomorrow, i will not be back til Thursday,but i will be ready with my box going out.

No live plants for me either, my mail man is not nice like our Dan,he would leave it out in the elements.
    However, if any one has any Herb seeds they want to share, that would be nice.(if you get my name):0)

Ok, lets see,******
    Oh, for those who do not know,my name is cAROL,spelled as such because there are several Carols here, and i would not want to confuse any one with my many questions as to which Carol is doing all the asking, it would not be fair to the others,so,,,I am cAROL.Nice to meet you.
    I am 62, married to Wayne,have 4 children,3 boys,1 girl,Brenda, who i talk about ALOT,cause she is my best friend.
    We have 2 cats who let us live with them, Cocoa,& Sammy.
    Cocoa is anti social,the oldest,she is 9 years old.Sammy is a teenager,sleeps a lot,then eats a little,then sleeps some more,& a ( male) :0)
    He is loving and sweet,not a mean bone in his body,Cocoa is just the opposite.
    But we love them both.
    I love doing all knids of things,will try any thing at least once.
    My favorite is gardening, have had a garden most of my life,but had gotton away from it the last few years,dur to having only shade,then i found WSing,and got hooked,this is my 3rd season WSing,i am way behind, but will get cought up this month.Last year i did 250 containers,this year, i am starting a butterfly garden,and an Herb garden.
    Any thing else you wanna know????Just ask ok.
    cAROL

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

oh,one more thing,
    Dan, I wanted to ask you, I sent some seeds to a newbie, in a bubble envie,i put about $ 1.30, worth of stamps on the envie,slapped on a priority mail label, and they charged her $3.00something,maybe it was even more,they said because i used a priority mail label.
    I was so embarrassed,here i was trying to do something nice,and it cost her money.
    Whats up with that?
    cAROL

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!

This Christmas season has just flown by! Kids return to school tomorrow and everyone else goes back to work. We were blessed this year with good weather for the most part, but here in south Texas, you never know what tomorrow will bring. New Year's Eve it was sunny and in the 70's, today it's cold, overcast and mid 50's. DH just informed me that we will be down to mid 20's towards the end of the week!

Carol, sorry to hear about your flood. Our water heater decided to bust a leak two weeks ago and flooded the garage. Thankfully, the weather was good, but it still was a huge mess to clean up. DH tried to cut off the water, but the handle wouldn't turn all the way off and the plumber couldn't come out until the next morning. He ended up turning the water off to the house so we wouldn't be sopping up water all night. What saved me was that I used plastic storage containers for every thing. I hate to think what it would have been like had I stored things in boxes.

Linda, you are so right about the clues from nature. Our roving bands of squirrels were very busy this fall, obviously with good reason. Oh, and have you tried the Vanilla Spiced Rum coffee creamer? Nice change when Bailey's isn't appropriate!

Heidi, congratulations on the new baby!

Dan - I sent you my info last week, to the email listed on GW. I resent it again today, using that addy plus the GW email system. Let me know if you didn't get it!

My box is still in the designing process, but should be ready soon. This will be the 4th swap for me, and I have been enjoying every one of them. I live in zone 8, and am open to just about anything that will grow down here. My favorites are native perennials and bulbs of all kinds. I also enjoy container gardens and garden whimsical items. I've got so many seeds from the swaps that I will be starting many of them early so they can go into the ground at the earliest possible time. (My family will love this idea!) My other interests are scrapbooking, sewing, baking, quilting, embroidery, and crafting garden whimsey items. I'm married with two teenagers - a girl and a boy and we have two Australian Shepherds who love to run through my flower beds.

~Kathy

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi all

No baby yet, but things are finally progressing.

A little about myself... I am 28 years old. I went to school to get my Veterinary Technician License but now I am a stay at home mom. I have been married for 4 years but I have been with my husband for about 15 years. We have two little boys ages 3 and 1. I am the oldest of 6 kids. The last 4 are still in school. My mom is not a part of our lives so I help out my Dad a lot. I am new to gardening. I will be wintersowing for the first time thanks to the generosity of people on GW. Between swaps and SASBE offers I have some awesome things to plant. I have 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs inside. I have two dogs outside. They lived with my small dairy goat herd until this past summer when I had to find them all new homes. I recently ordered a book called Making Plant Medicine because I would love to be able to use my garden for more then just something to look at. I love to make different things and wish I knew how to crochet and quilt.

I will stop there, but feel free to ask if there is anything else you want to know.

well back to working on things for my box.

Heidi

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I'm 60 years old and have had a garden for ever. I have always had something growing even that special 'oregano'
    I have been married to my best friend Mark for 25 yrs. Have two wonderful children DD 36 and DS 31 I have 3 grandmunchkins that I just adore. I love to gardening and crafting I'm forever making something that I saw somewhere that cost too much but was easy to make. I love shaby chic and going to garage sales and flea markets.Really don't like seeds because I'm too old (or too impatient)to wait on stuff to grow. But there is really nothing going on in the winter so, seeds it is!

Smitties I'm ready for a baby fix too, love babies

cAROL 250 cotainers????? I thought I was bad

Heidi hoping all goes well for baby & mommy, congrats.

Hugs, Carmen

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kids!

cAROL, that priority label you used on your envie was what turned your first class envie into a priority one, and thusly cost an extra $3. you're not the first person to do this, so don't feel bad. even this mailman has been known to make that mistake.

Kathy, not only did I receive both of your e-mails today with your info, but found your first one, making 3 copies of it! That's why I'm posting those lists, so y'all can help me keep it together! LOL! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (that's once for every e-mail...)

Linda, I find it quite funny that no one is buying that innocent look of yours, but apparently believe that I'm the innocent witness to all you hooligans get up to. LOL! Want another brownie?

Oh, speaking of brownies, I baked another batch of them whilst cutting out quilt pieces today. I wasn't paying attention and wound up cutting enough material for two 8'x8' quilts, so I think I'm going to make one reversible quilt out of it all.

Heidi, if you've got a sewing machine and can line up two pieces of fabric and sew them together, you can quilt. I've included a website you can go to for starters. If you have a fabric store in your neighborhood, you can find some good books which will help you out. Also, public libraries are good places for how-to books. Good luck!

Margo, how's the book? I think I'm gonna go plunge into the latest Stephen King in a few minutes...

And I believe that's it for me tonight. I'm gonna go check in on my farm on farmville, then grab a book and do some reading.

Peace.
    -Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: how to make a quilt

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Heidi,
    Do we have a baby yet?
    cAROL

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Yes we have a baby...

Jacob Armington Bowen
    6lbs 3oz 18in long
    born at 6:07pm.

Mom and baby are doing well. My sister was huge so I think it is funny that she had such a little guy. I hope to have pictures tomorrow.

Heidi

• smitties
    14 years ago

Well Dan, never did pick up that book. I looked at the Christmas ornaments I had taken off the tree and decided it was time to finish up the job. It took several hours to pack up all the ornaments and decorations and now I am beat.

We bought a fresh cut tree this year but as soon as we got it up, it started dropping needles. I don't understand why it did what it did and maybe it is what that type of tree does but never again. When we chose the tree, we were told it was 35 but when we got to the money man, it was 55! I loved the tree so didn't argue. Did I mention, never again? It was a huge, beautiful tree but by the time we took it down, the needles were raining down at the slightest touch. Our carpeting underneath looked like turf. It was horrible. There was very little mess as hubby took it outdoors cause there wasn't much left on it. Again, NEVER AGAIN for this type of tree.

I forgot to mention my animal family in my post above. We have Begger the dog who has been with us for 11 years next month. We also have 5 cats, 4 of which found us. They are Joey, Miss Kitty, Bump, (had a hernia when we found him), Webber, (brother to Bump and Peanut), and Peanut (sister to Bump and Webber). Would you believe we used to be a non cat family? There is no avoiding kitties when you live in the country. I have a cockatiel and we also have 2 parakeets. The cockatiels has a limited vocabulary but does say "give me kiss" and actually makes a kissing sound, "thank you", "nite nite", "what?" and does several whistle imitations. He's pretty cute.

Heidi, I am really feeling sorry for your sister. That has been a long labor bless her heart. Looking forward to hearing that baby has been born.

So, off to the couch I go with my book and this time I mean it. Can't be sure I will stay awake but at least I will relax. The book is a cheesy novel and I can predict the end. Time to go to the library.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Congratulations Aunt Hiedi,yes,he is a tiny little guy.
    I bet you are all glad that is over, she had a long labor eh.
    I will be gone for a few days, but will look forward to seeing picturs when i get back.
    Going to bed now myself, gotta be on the road early.
    Nitty nite every one.
    cAROL

• shansgarden
    14 years ago

Hi, all--Dan, my box is almost ready--just a few more things to pack in. I'm in a warm part of the country so cuttings will do fine here. I'd prefer seeds since I'm in flux right now and seeds travel better, but I won't say no to a good plant if it finds it's way to me.

My husband of 13 years, Herb, and I are looking for our "forever" house and trying to get back into the working world after moving back to California from Boston. We sold our first house and moved out there so he could study fine furniture making in hopes of eventually turning his hobby into a business making fine quality chairs (Windsor rockers, reproduction Chippendales, etc.) I taught Word, Excel, Business English, and Medisoft software while we were there, and sorely missed having a garden in our third floor apartment. I managed to keep some herbs going in the window though! (Hey, we all gotta do what we can :-) We're looking for a place with room for a shop and a garden that's not too far outside of a town where at least one of us can work--around here that's really hard to find in our price range, but we'll keep on keeping on until we can find it. In the meantime, we're keeping house, doing maintenance, and breaking out various art and craft projects at my Mom's place while she gets her footing in her new job.

Heidi, congratulations on the new nephew!!

cAROL, I'm sorry to hear about the flooding--that's a mess to clean. Our hot water heater broke while we were in Boston. Thank goodness it was in the stairway and not the apartment, but it made for quite a waterfall effect.

And hello to everyone else :-)

*snagging a brownie as the plate comes around*

--Shannon

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Jacob, and Congratulations Auntie cAROL!!! Just think cAROL, you've now got a new nephew to share your gardening with! When should we start sending Jacob seeds? ((grin))

I'm home today, waiting on my brother-in-law to come help me fix my furnace. With all the snow we've gotten, it's plugged up the intake pipe (at least, I'm hoping that's all it is), so he'll be here in a few hours to make sure that's all it is. It definitely pays to have someone in heating and cooling in the family! The furnace quit last night shortly after 11pm, so we all piled into the master bedroom after turning on all the faucets so the pipes wouldn't freeze, and pretty much went cold weather camping inside the house. Talk about brrrrrrrr!!! Bring on the hot coffee!

Peace.
    -Dan

• gardner_golfer
    14 years ago

I have never done anything like this before, Sounds like lots of fun. I can get into the Baileys!!!!1 I also am a rural mail carrier (Northern MI). Love to golf and am learning to garden, husband bought me a greenhouse last year and I had a ball!
    ANYWAY SIGN ME UP!!!!
    Dawn

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Hi all, so much has happened since Ive been sick! Congrats to auntie, and sorry to hear about everyones leaks and plugs and whatnots. Im working on my box, and since today I feel well enough to leave the bedroom and sit on the couch I think Im going to make 2 piles of seeds to send. One that will survive the north, and one for southern zones. I have a nice mailman so even though its cold here I can do plants if theyre well packed and I know when theyll arrive. Also, Ive started a succulent garden and little enclosed terrariums *hint*hint*. Seeds are good too.

A little about me? Ill be 25 next week and this past year was my very first garden, which quickly outgrew the tiny outdoor space. Im a photographer, and student, and I love various arts like painting and photography. I have two very spoiled (overweight!) cats, Zoe and Rufus, who have been taking shifts looking after me since Ive been sick. They are both rescues. Zoe is about 3, a gray tabby, dainty and aloof. Rufus is about a year and a half-ish. He is a ginger and white tabby, a SERIOUS mommas boy, and at over 15 lbs likes to sleep on my chest at night.

Did I mention these are my babies? :)
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Awww, I stay away for just a little bit, and Linda's trying to convince everyone she's shy (phhtttpp!), and Heidi is an Aunt!
    Well, congrats to Heidi & SHAME ON YOU, Miss Linda!! LOL!

No HEATER, Dan?? Shiver your timbers!! (Pass the bailey's, Linda!!)

But could you pour me some tea, please? (I need to pass on the Baileys...but just until April, OK?) :O)
    I was so looking forward to the new year, ready to get '09 out of my system. LOL BUT, it started with a bang (and then some!).
    Hubby's aunt was taken to the ER on Christmas. She's got advanced lymphoma, in her chest, lungs & organs. She's not expected to make it very long (and she never even admitted she felt sick, so no one had a clue!!). She's got 2 young boys, so it's a horrible situation.
    And then...all my boys went camping over the weekend, to get their winter camping honor for Pathfinders (like Boy Scouts, but it's a Christian group). We got 4" of snow Saturday night, so they got the honor.
    BUT..while they were sleeping on Saturday, someone cut the oil lines on the Suburban. So they were stranded out in the national forest, with no way for me to get to them (they had the only running vehicle). *sigh*
    But it could have been worse- they could've slashed the tires. I just can't understand what makes someone do something so mean. Hubby was out with 3 young boys, under the age of 13....in the snow....and they had to do this to him! We figured that since it was hunting season, the boys accidentally spooked someone's deer, and they retaliated. Stupid & moronic...but there ya go.

ANYWAY. I surely hope that this is NOT indicative of how our 2010 is going to go!
    UGH!

• jacki002
    14 years ago

hello everyone! my name is jacki. i'm from a little town in michigan and it is freezing!! i am 19 and just got done with college and i am waiting to take my phlebotomy certification exam on the 14th. I love to garden and have been collecting seeds and growing my own plants for years. i love wildflowers and beans and peppers. Two years ago i built an herb garden, and this spring i am planning on building on to it. I have a 3 year old cat named kiki who loves to hang out with me when i garden and play in the catnip. she's my baby and is extremely spoiled. i also have a 10 year old golden retriver named grace and a tank full of guppies. I am looking forward to the swap!!

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Wow! It is as cold here as I ever remember it being. We have been in the single digits the last two nights and more in the forecast.
    On the bright side, I had a bit of daylily rust toward the end of the season for the first time ever. Maybe these temps will help me get a handle on it.
    It is nice to see a lot of new names participating.
    I have only been around GW a few years, but I have been an avid gardener and greenhouse grower for a long time. I keep rabbits and chickens, mostly for manure but I am an animal lover in general. I like to read and travel and I am a horror movie buff.

No cuttings for me right now, thanks. Seeds will do nicely. My box is ready to go.
    Have a great week,
    Alana

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Wow! So many Michiganders here... greetings from Lansing!!
    Linda, you arent so innocent and Dan, neither are you, so no one should be fooled! *GRINS*

Welcome to the newest garden web members. Please dont forget to set up your member pages and email (bottom of this page, it says member pages!) so that people will know what youre interested in and how to contact you if they need.

Now, off to find a thermometer so I can see if my fever is down...
    ~Laura

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I GOT HEAT!!!

Work started on the furnace at about 12:30, and we found it wasn't just a matter of cleaning out the snow from the intake pipe. Nope, it had to be the blower motor, don'tcha know!? Everything else tested fine, and after giving everything a good vacuuming and replacing the motor (I don't even want to mention how much all this cost me, even with the b-i-l discount), the temperature in the house is now a balmy 74, and I'm running around barefoot again.
    Heat is a wonderful thing!

Welcome to the newcomers! We're glad to have you in the mix! Just to re-iterate the requirements for this swap, we're each sending a small flat-rate priority box with seeds, a card or letter about yourself, and anything else you can fit inside it. Read the whole thread please, there've been some wonderful suggestions made as to what else to send. Prior to Friday night, please post the readiness of your box and your preferences about receiving plants/cuttings or not. Also, I'm asking that your box be done or near done BEFORE we choose recipients this upcoming week-end. I'll be posting more on that on Saturday morning. Remember, the earlier you check in and post your choices this upcoming week-end, the better off you will be. I will be e-mailing you sometime Sunday afternoon/evening with the name of who you are sending your package to. I think that about covers it. If not, you who have been here for the whole ride, please let me know what I've forgotten.

And now, I'm off to go mix up some margaritas 'cuz I'm enjoying the heat!

Peace.
    -Dan

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Congratulations auntie Heidi I'm so glad all is well.

Dan so happy for you, heat is wonderful, we had 38 degrees at night for two weeks and guess what... my system was down too no heat. thank God mine is fixed also.

WELCOME new comers.

Hi Alana good to see ya.

Hugs, Carmen

• jacki002
    14 years ago

cAROL, a must have for herb gardens is anise hyssop. it smells amazing, has beautiful purple flowers and i always see bumble bees and butterflys on it.
    heidi congratulations!!!! i'm sure he's a little adorable angel =)

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Ok I got the pictures :o)

I am very happy for her. Ever since she was little she wanted to have a family. I hope that all continues to go well for her!

well I am going to go play "Just Dance". If you have a wii you need to get this game. Not only is it a good workout it is fun and funny depending on if you are playing or watching :op

Heidi

• jmt2213
    14 years ago

My box is sealed and ready to go!

• smitties
    14 years ago

Hello Dawn and Jacki, good to see you joining in. I see you are both from Michigan. I am a former Michigander although not from the north. I don't think I could handle all that snow you get up in the norhtern parts.

We did receive about 2 inches of snow today. I had a return at Walmart today and while leaving the parking lot, I tried to turn out of my lane and the car would not turn. It just kept sliding straight and into the curb. I would have thought it would just jump the curb but no, it slammed in just the right angle and I bent the rim. Grrrrrr Of course the tire has to be replaced too so that little slide will be about 300 to 400 dollars.

Dan, I envy your temperatures now that your furnace is fixed. My hubby keeps us at 68 and less at night. We do make good use of our fireplace though.

Laura, I was happy to read about your big tabby. We have three little tabby cats that we found abandoned last August as little kittens. They are estimated to be about 6-7 months now. Our biggest boy weighs 11 pounds and the family has been worried maybe he had issues. I have been trying to assure them he was just a big boy. He is pretty funny to watch though.

I am going to head to the post office tomorrow for my box and then get it finished up. All I will have have to do is add a little note and get it off in the mail.

THINK SPRING!

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Picked up my box today and working on packing it full. I like this idea for a swap Dan, suprisingly you can fit a good bit into the small box. It's kind of like Christmas, I always enjoy the little gifts from the stocking!

It's unusually cold here this week, but I'm up for cuttings if anyone sends them my way.

~ Tracy

• veeja11
    14 years ago

beautiful baby and mom looks like nothing happened, congrats. Dan suprised to find out you are a wino. I am a carol also dh and I downsized about 4 yrs ago to 1/4 acre in a small town, sold our bigger place and made enough profit to pay for this one nothing on land so we bought 100 yards of dirt and planted a u-haul full of plants we brought with us. I was a floral designer untill laid off in november, now retired ready to plant seeds in cold frame put walla walla's in today. we have a nice size veggie garden and 8 dwarf fruit trees 2 dogs a jack female and big old mix we inhearited when daughter moved here, also inhearited zippy the ornate box turtle. Bunny sign up for facebook please. can't wait to pick my name
    Dan I see you announced you are in heat good luck with that

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

I like finding out about everybody.
    I'm Dee, 52, a retired investor, and a lifelong California girl except for a year of living in New Mexico where most of my relatives are. I live on 24 acres on the central coast area. I'm married, have 2 grown daughters 22 and 26, and one granddaughter 16 months. I love to landscape garden and last year I put in my first vege garden. I also do woodworking, cement and garden art, and other artsy things. I have a yorkie, a kittie, a pac-man frog, numerous fish, and an african tortoise. I also do volunteer work with children.
    Opp, being called to dinner! Stop by tomarrow.
    Dee

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    14 years ago

I wrote a long post and my computer mouse went haywire (ugh!) and I lost the post, so I'll try again. I'd love to join the Round Robin exchange. This sounds like a lot of fun and I'm new to this.

I'm 41, married, live in PA (brrrr!!!!), have five children, a dog and three cats. The cats adopted US. They were born in our backyard last summer. Well, two of them were and the third one came later because the one was pregnant. We coulnd't find good homes for them, so they're ours now. :)

I have several small flower gardens and a veggie garden. I live on a city lot, so I utilize the space I have very well. :) If there's dirt, I plant!

Happy New Year to everyone! I'm very excited to join this exchange.

Alicia

• keiki
    14 years ago

Ok where to start? I am 45, married and live in South Florida. I have 4 legged children only. Keiki is a shitzu, Kirby is a cocker spaniel mix and Peg is a rescued 3 legged cat. Keiki is my little girl and I can't imagine home without her. Kirby is the happiest dog I have every met, he loves everyone. I am sad to say he is losing his hearing and life is changing for him but at 15 we have to expect that. Peg came to us and wouldn't leave. Neither of us are cat people but she has definately found her way in my hubbys heart and has made her place in the family. I also work for the post office, I am a clerk. I love to garden as all of us do. I inherated my mums orchids sure I would kill them all but it has turned into my passion. I also love to grow edibles, tropical fruit and veggies mostly. I have 3 brothers and a sister and it has been a really hard year for us. I am hopeful that 2010 is going to be better for us. This exchange along with the secret santa have been a wonderful escape for me. Thank you for letting me join in.

Beth B that winter squash dish sounds wonderful. I am going to try is asap.

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Welcome all new people. I am glad that we are getting to know each other...

domehome~ first let me say that my DH thinks its awesome you live in a domehome. I am interested in seeing some pictures of your art work. What kind of things do you do with cement?

lady alicia~ Where in Pa are you. I am right off 61 near Sunbury. I loved your garden pictures. Everything is so neat and tidy. Do you put your kids to work helping out in the gardens? My Dad always told me that the purpose of kids was to have someone to help you with the chores :o)

keiki~I have a 3 legged dog. Isn't it amazing how they just go on as if nothing is wrong with them!! I tried to grow an orchid once. It grew a new leaf and I thought it was doing good and then all of a sudden it was dead. I was pretty upset. What is the trick to their survival?

To all the new comers...Dan and Linda are trouble...they have been known to start a few food fights!! :op

Heidi

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

trouble?..trouble?...me????..it's all Dan!.."pointing to Dan"...It's great to see all the newbies.."waving to newbies"...Alicia, where in Pa do you live? I live east of Pittsburgh. Isn't this snow ridiculous???

"putting on more tea water, plugging in the coffee pot with some of Dan's flavored coffee and whipping up a batch of chocolate chip cookies"...it's nice to get to know a little about everyone..."S"

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Hey! Nice to meet everyone.

A little about myself. I'm a stay at home mom in the piedmont of NC. I have an 8 yr old daughter and a 4 year old son, both like to help me in the garden and I hope it sticks with them. I'm mainly a veggie gardener. I love flowers, but I don't have a lot of luck them, especially growing them from seed. Though I haven't put as much effort into growing flowers as I have the vegetable gardens and fruit trees. Aside from gardening, I like canning and cooking (and eating). And when I have the time and a clean space, I like to scrapbook.

Before I had kids, I was a full time Paramedic and Emergency Medical Instructor. Now I teach emergency medical classes in the evening, and Anatomy & Physiology at the local community college.

We have a happy hunting dog and a bowl full of goldfish that we won at the fair (and I was sure they wouldn't last a year but have been with us for three years!)

I've enjoyed meeting new friends here and look forward to making many more!

~ Tracy

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Tracy have you ever tried winter sowing. This is my first year trying it myself, but some people swear by it. I also have a problem starting things from seed, but this way seems fool proof :o) The only down side is that some perennials don't bloom till the second year. Glad there are annuals to keep the color.

I hope the winter sowing link shows up at the bottom of this post!!

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing faq

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Heidi cogratulations on the new nephew. Mom amd baby look super.
    My box is about ready to go. I may be adding a few cuttings if it is going to a safe climate. HAte to brag but it's a sunny55 here today. After living in AK for years I have adjusted to AZ very well.
    I do miss winter sowing though but with all the sun here the bottles heat up too much AND the @#$@ JAvelina would destroy them anyway.
    BB

• gardner_golfer
    14 years ago

Hello to all!
    My box is almost ready. this is a fun project. I don't think I could send or receive any plants due to cold here, but maybe trade some in spring! I am trying to overwinter some geraniums in my indoor greenhouse ( in hubby's garage) I seem to be having fairly good luck.
    We too have 3 dogs, they are always in the greenhouse with me and the garden also. They eat as many veges as my husband and I, they ALWAYS get the first asparagus because they walk down the row and nip it off.
    Off for now, keep your chin up it is almost spring!!!!!
    D

• clabarr
    14 years ago

This sounds like lots of fun! Please count me in!

• obrionusa
    14 years ago

I really hate to sound stupid, But how does this work?

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

OK, Dan, I went to the PO today and picked up a small box. Now that I know what size we're dealing with (and I've confirmed that what I have to share will fit in the box)...move me on up! I'm a lurker no more!

I'm impressed by the huge turnout this month. Very exciting.

~CA

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi clabarr and obrionusa welcome pull up a chair by the fire place and Miss Linda will bring you some tea :o)

obrionusa, just go up to the beginning of the post and follow the plan. aaaand no you are not sounding stupid.
    This works really wonderful you will make new friends and get lots of stuff that you'll love. Boy do I sound stupid LOL

read the begining of the thread and you get most of the info you need then if you have any questions just ask.
    Have fun.
    Heidi, the baby is soooo cute!!!!!

Hugs, Carmen

• clabarr
    14 years ago

What an interesting group... are any of you on Facebook? I used to be very active in Garden Web, but have been busy with other things the last few years.

I got rid of all of my seeds as they were getting old, so I need to start anew. This past summer I worked in Yellowstone National Park, so didn't do much gardening. I really missed it, but loved working in the park.

I plan to purchase new seeds to put in the seed exchange. Any special things people would like to try?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please go to the next thread for this swap to post. We're getting close to the upper limit of posts, so I'll be starting a new thread as soon as I post this message. Thanks!

-The Management (Dan)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2 THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED...PLEASE GO TO PART 2