Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitties50

Thank you's and game - I'll be home for Christmas swap

smitties
13 years ago

Ok, this is the spot for members to post their thank you's when your box is received.

Now, the game for participants:

Santa is visiting a town getting requests from the children who live there. Your job is to figure out where Santa is. I will be checking as much as possible starting tonight and will answer each question as quickly as possible. A question cannot be posted until I have answered the current one. I am not going to be able to get on here very much in the next couple of days so I will do my best.

It will be tough to start but once we are narrowed down a bit, I will begin giving hints.

The first person to correctly guess the location will receive a prize from me.

Let the game begin and go ahead and start asking our questions.

Comments (64)

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good try but no, it isn't Bowling Green.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Morning Ladies!!!

Is it Home,Ohio?

later...April

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Morning everyone ! is it Middlefield, Ohio ?

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Is it Youngstown, Ohio?

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am sorry I have been lapse in answering. I just got back from Columbus picking up my daughter and bringing her home for the holidays from college. I left at 7 am and got home 11 1/2 hours later cause we had some errands and shopping to do. I am a wee bit tired.

No it is none of those cities.

Once it is guessed, you will see why I chose it. You may want to try location questions.

13 years ago

hmmm ... location questions ...??? I must be tired too cause I am stuck on what to ask next ... maybe a wee hint , Margo ?

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

People send their Christmas cards to this towns post office to be postmarked and sent out again.

The winner will win a garden book and can choose one from a choice of four.

13 years ago

is it Rudolph, Ohio ?

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woo hoo!!! It is Rudolph. That didn't take too long. I am sending you an email with your choices.

Congratulations Iris.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

OK, Yeah for Rudolph and for Iris.
    Good thinking there.
    Was going to go for Bethel but Rudolph is a good one.
    I;m still on the East Coast and very much enjoying visits with Family and old friends The Christmas spirit seems to be in the air around here.
    Hope it is obvious wherever you may be too.
    BB

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Congratulations Iris! ;)
    I've been peeking in each day-- but had NO IDEA what town it was, LOL!

Is everyone done with Christmas shopping? I'm almost done, I have a few last minute things to pick up- and then it's time to enjoy the Holidays!

Deb

13 years ago

Thanks everyone ! it was fun ! I love games like that !

April, I was trying to remember a pineapple punch recipe that I had a few years back, it was so good ... I think it is made with pineapple juice, lime sherbet, 7 up and spiked with vodka ... woo hoo !! How does that sound ?

Hope everyone is keeping warm ... its supposed to be only in the upper 20s for a high a couple days next week ... brrrr....

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I wasn't around for past couple of days. I had to go out of town and when I got on my son's computer yesterday the site wouldn't register my info to log on and I guess a lot of people were having the problem.

Iris, that punch sounds good and I could use a glass of that right now. :0 Long couple of days but things seem to be getting better.

I received a couple of emails that packages are on the way. Sue and Deb have mailed their boxes and now we get to wait and see who they are going to.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I had to cancel some dinner plans for tonight because we were supposed to get some nasty weather and now it appears to have been a false alarm, again!!!!!

Don't forget packages are to go out by December 15th and DC numbers should be emailed to me directly. You can post you sent your box, just not where it is going.

Margo

13 years ago

Here are a few more punches I found in my recipe collection ...

Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail , lemonade, any fruity sherbet , 7 up and vodka .

pineapple juice, orange juice, cream of coconut , club soda, vanilla ice cream , orange slices and rum !

Raspberry sherbet, ginger ale , limeade, pineapple juice and vodka .

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Hey Ladies!!!
    My box should fly out on Monday.

Laura~ Just read the "Hanukkah Bush" post. LOL!!!

Margo~sorry you had to cancel your plans to a false alarm.

Iris~thanks for the recipes. The last one sounds REALLY good!!!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Morning!

My box flew out yesterday....wonder where it's going? I've almost finished up my gift shopping.Now to get the stuff for my 5th grader's class party & food for Sat night's shindig.

later...April

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received note from Deb that her box is on the way to another lucky person.

I must say I am ashamed mine has not gone out since it has been ready since Friday. I had an emergency out of town trip so waited til today as it is my day off. I got to the post office and there was on clerk and a line outside the door. I waited 15 minutes while I watched her take care of two people, one of which she had a conversation with while we all stood waiting. When she took a person out in the hall to take a passport picture, I said forget it and went out in the lobby to use the kiosk. BAD as the kiosk was frozen. I am going back later to mail it one way or the other.

Margo

13 years ago

Hi everyone ! It is sooo cold and windy today ! Think I will stay inside and make strawberry jam to give to some of my coworkers Friday at our Christmas party . I have been on short term disability the past few weeks, it will be good to see them .

I mailed someone's box today ;-) It is fun being a secret elf ;-) ho ho ho !!

Iris

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi everyone -

I hope everyone is staying warm with all of the frigid temperatures across the country. It is around 12 degrees here tonight with a wind chill of 1 degree. I forget how cold that really is until these temperatures settle in every year. I stay here in Ohio because of my kids and grandkids, otherwise I would prefer to live somewhere more temperate. I'm sure my old arthritic bones would thank me...lol.

Iris - I really love seeing your punch recipes. I am having family over for Christmas Eve dinner and was thinking of trying one of your punch recipes since they look so yummy. I wasn't sure how much of each item to use. Pardon my ignorance in this area, I'm not too experienced with these types of things. I can cook pretty well for the most part, but the holidays always seem a little challenging and I get a bit nervous that I'll mess up something.

April - You are definately a busy lady, hosting the Christmas stocking swap and participating in other swaps as well in addition to all of your other duties with your family. Where do you find the time or the energy? I must say you are an inspiration!

Deb - I am almost finished with my holiday shopping. I plan to finish on Thursday. Then, I will be busy over the weekend wrapping gifts and making holiday cookies.

Margo - I know what you mean about the lines at the post office. I sure am glad I don't have anymore mailing to do anytime soon. I waited in line for about twenty minutes Friday afternoon after work to mail my final packages, then gave up and decided to go back first thing on Saturday morning to the smaller branch down the street from my home. That worked so much better.

Well, sorry for the long post, but I thought I'd take a moment to catch up with all of you. Signing off for now. Good night all.

13 years ago

Sue, I sent you email !

Iris

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Phew, my box finally went out. I am out of town on a medical emergency for my son. I had the smarts to bring along my box and mail it this morning here at his post office. Bigger city and faster service, woo hoo. Anyway, my box is supposed the be there by tomorrow or the next day so hopefully my receiver will enjoy the package. I have heard from several that there boxes are on the way but my notes are at home so can't figure out who hasn't sent yet. Today was the deadline so hopefully everyone has been able to get their box out.

Iris, your prize is on the way too. :)

Sue, don't know what part of Ohio you are in but my part and my son's area is also pretty cold. Some snow although a small amount, has made for some trouble with freezing temps. The sun is shining giving hope it is warm out but no, it is not to be.

I will keep everyone updated as much as possible. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival and posting of everyone's boxes.

To my sender, if your box has been sent and you do not hear from me, that is because I am not home.

Thanks everyone, Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, checked my emails and I have note from the following that their boxes have gone out:

Sue (box has been delivered)
    Deb
    Iris
    April
    Me

Have not heard from

Ellie
    Linda
    Beth
    Laura
    Carol

If I have made a mistake on those not contacting me, I apologize. Please post here or email me directly when your boxes are sent.

Margo

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

hello everyone! Well, guess what I found on my porch today??..yepper a box from Sue! It was delivered to my front porch which I don't use so I didn't find it until today...GGRRRRR.. (must not have been my regular mailguy, he knows.."L") Sooooo...here's what is in my box.."rubbing hands together" and she outdid herself, I must say!

there was a 12 pack of red votives candles (perfect for my candle holders), A wood ornament kit (I like these), a micro throw (perfect for in front of the fire, 2 pair of gloves (she must know I lose them .."L"). a lovely set of gingerbread men T towels, and pot holders (which I'm washing as we speak to hang up in my kitchen),Christmas socks..(wiggling toes), a cute stocking with chocolates, tea and hot chocolate (to drink while wrapped up in the throw, with my new socks on), some body lotion (always need this), a lovely white deer ornament which will go on my mantle and a wonderful assortment of seeds. She included a Christmas card with a very heartwarming message about what each thing brought back what memory. What a lovely box you sent Sue! I appreciate and many thanks!!..(((HUGS)))

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

My fantastic box from April came today! In it was~

A yummy Apple Cinnamon candle (smells soooo good)
    Penguin tealight (soooo cute)
    Garden gate magazine (can't wait to read it, I'm looking for some new ideas for Spring!)
    2 Notepads (I always need these, we go through so much paper, LOL)
    Envelope of white hot chocolate (Yum)
    Lil' pack of whitmann's chocolate (mmm)
    Puzzle (I wish I had the time to do this, hopefully someday- things have to settle down!)
    Clear seed packets (I always need these)
    Festive snowmen pair of potholders! I plan on doing so much baking next week- I love these!

Thanks April for such a nice package! I loved everything you sent!

Hugs,
    Deb

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

My Box is here!!!!

My secret santa was Iris/rane grow. She did some homework!
    Inside there was:
    ~Sweet Potato Vine

~Vanilla Candle

~Vanilla Potpouri

~Cocoa (great day in GA for this!)

~Cute Holiday 'Spirit' socks(so cute they have little holiday cocktail drinks on them!)

~Homemade bean soup mix(will be part dinner tonight!)

~Peach Butter

~Recipes for rosemary chicken, rosemary potatoes,& spice rub!!

~Big baggie full of rosemary!!!( This had the whole box smelling good!!!)

~9 types of tomato seeds
    AND.....
    5 rolls of ribbon for my hairbow business

later...April

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, I am back home but leaving again tomorrow for Columbus. My son is in a health crisis and we are trying to help as much as possible.

Below is the list of people I have heard from that have sent boxes.

Sue (box has been delivered)
    Deb
    Iris
    April
    Me
    Carol
    Beth
    April
    Ellie

Linda emailed me that her box was going out today so waiting on confirmation.

Laura is sending to me so I told her she did not have to email that it is sent since I know she is sending, at least I have the element of surprise when it arrives.

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ellie has been in contact with me. She has been unable to log on for several days so wanted me to post this.

I received my box from Carol today and want to give a big thank you. Lots of yummy candy, mug with hot chocolate, 6 kinds of seeds, necklace and ear ring set, tree ornament and a welcome to our garden candle set and 3 flower pots. Thank you very much Carol and have a wonderful Christmas season to you and your family.

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

my package is mailed and I"ve sent Margo the confirmation. Sorry it's a bit late, I've been under the weather.."hanging head in apology"

• diene
    13 years ago

Just dropped in to say "Happy Birthday to Deb". Merry Christmas all!!

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

I am so excited to say I received my package today from Margo! Wow you really outdid yourself!

Here's what I received:

A beautiful pine cone Christmas card with a message that reads "Plant hope." with plantable seed paper filled with a mixture of lovely wild flowers. Super cute. Thank you so much.
    Egg Nog flavored gourmet coffee (I am gonna brew it this weekend and maybe share it with my husband...lol.)
    Christmas themed tubes of Skin So Soft and Vita Moist Avon Hand creams (How adorable, these will come in handy!)
    A pair of GripMate Weeding Gloves (I have never tried these before and look forward to using them when I weed the garden.)
    A pair of the most beautiful navy blue knee-high Christmas socks with a wreath decoration at the top. So soft. Thanks! They'll really keep me warm in this cold weather!
    A box of orange, passion fruit and jasmine green tea...(mmmm looks delicious!)
    A package of holiday spice gourmet hot cocoa mix with a peppermint stirrer (How cute and yummy I'll bet, I'm not sharing this one!)
    A blueberry scone yankee candle (Yankee is my favorite brand..how did you know??? Can't wait to burn it, smells great!)
    A lovely soft pair of grape purple slipper socks (How comfy!)
    A wonderful salon ready pedicure set with foot pumice, soft touch slippers, toe separators and nail polish. (Now I have no excuse for ugly toes...lol!) I really love it and will be able to whip my toes into shape just in time for the holidays!
    A beautiful Zen Garden that includes a tray, sand, rocks and a rake. (This will be very therapeutic especially during these stressful days before Christmas!)
    And, last but not least, a wonderful quotable coffee mug, which I will use for all the great tea, cocoa and coffee you sent me. I love the quote, it reads: " Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they're always there!"
    What an appropriate quote. Thanks for being a great cyber-gardening friend!
    I sure loved all the things you sent me. Christmas came early this year for me thanks to you!

Margo it was so nice that you took the time to wrap the contents individually! How thoughtful! Thanks again for everything!

Margo, I hope your son is doing better and that all will be well with you family soon. You and your family are in my prayers. God bless,

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Diene,
    Happy Birthday to you too!

Everyone.. wish Diene a Happy Birthday, we share the same birthday!

Hugs,
    Deb

13 years ago

Happy Saturday everyone ! One week till Christmas ! I still have some shopping to do ! Last minute Lucy here ...lol ...

Margo, hope your son is better ?

Deb and Diene, hope your birthdays were good ones !

Iris

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

I'm a little worried about the package I sent. I checked the DC# and it's been delivered several days ago. Hopefully the person that received it is just too busy to post. The swaps secret- so I can't mention who I sent it to. ;) I just hope it made it safely- and it's not sitting outside. I took a risk and included a cutting of my favorite YELLOW Christmas cactus. I had the hardest time finding it- it's a true yellow!

My Birthday was fantastic- we went to a Mongolian 'all you can eat' restaurant. We were able to choose what meat, veggies, sauces, spices and the chef created our dishes in front of us! My Husband picked out too many spices- and his dish was awful! He doesn't cook- so it sort of made all of us laugh. He's definately not a chef, LOL!

Deb

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Don't worry Deb, your Christmas cactus is happily sitting in a windowsill and I love everything you sent! My internet has been on the fritz so I'm afraid it'll be a short post but my box is in the works and I wish everyone health (and sweet thoughts for your son, Margo) happiness, and safe travels over the snowwy holidays!
    ~Laura

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone, first off let me apologize for being lapse in my hosting duties lately.

Thanks to everyone for the best wishes for my son. I am happy to report he is doing fantastic and my trips back and forth should be over.

Belated birthday wishes to the birthday girls.

The following people have received their boxes so far and have posted. I have been unable to do any research on DC numbers to see if the ones that have not posted have at least been received.

Laura
    Deb
    Sue
    Linda
    April
    Ellie

I may have missed a post so let me know if I missed it. I had to work til 6 today and my goal is to finally get my house and tree decorated. Might just finish up my cards too.

I will be working 1-8 tomorrow so I am hoping to do more research on the boxes before then. Will let everyone know as soon as I figure it all out.

Have a good week everyone. Margo

13 years ago

Happy Monday everyone !

My mail carrier brought me a box today ... from Linda ! What a treat to open Christmas goodies BEFORE Christmas ... if my son was here he would say ummm Mom, you didn't wait ! tsk tsk !! LOL anyways here is what Linda sent me :

A beautiful 3 Wise Men christmas card with a nice message from Linda

A sweet little Rudolph stuffed animal ornament with candycanes ... so soft and cute !

a Christmas mug filled with herbal teas , hot chocolate and chocolate candies ( of which I have already munched on ) YUM !

a little box of Russell Stover candies and a marshmallow Santa ... more Yum !

a beautiful silver Dove ornament ( already on my tree )

the sweetest little felt Santa ornament ( also already on the tree )

a pair of oh so soft fluffy red and green striped socks ( my feet are always cold lately, these will be very appreciated )

a mini felt Christmas stocking FILLED with 15 pkgs of awesome seeds ! Can't wait for spring !

a cinnamon and spice candle ( I love this scent and love candles, they make a room so cozy )

And ... a gorgeous crocheted hunter green lap throw ... You crocheted this yourself Linda ? absolutely beautiful !Thank you for the time it must have taken to make this !

Thank you so much Linda ! I love everything !

Iris

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I'm glad you liked everything Iris! Yes, I crocheted the lap throw which was why it was as tad late getting to you.."S"

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hello everyone.
    The internet is back to behaving so now I have a chance to write a proper thank-you to Deb! She was sweet enough to send:
    Family- a picture frame
    Cooking- a few of her favorite kitchen gadgets, like a potato peeler/ scrubbie, and a heavy spatula
    Snow- sparkly ornaments
    Birds- a cardinal garden statue (currently waiting in the window for spring) and matching cardinal kitchen towel set
    Seeds- lots! all wrapped up in a little stocking
    and a cutting from her lovely yellow Christmas Cactus, which I can't wait to see bloom!

Its all very thoughtful and I love (and can definitely use) everything you sent! *HUGS* Merry Christmas.
    ~Laura

• veeja11
    13 years ago

I received a wonderful box from Beth today, it arrived yesterday but I wasn't home so mail lady left me a pink slip and I went to get it today a lovely letter of christmas memories with a card with a great pic of Beth and Jack, she caught herself a hottie. The letter told me all about a putz, then she sent a church and choir to start my own putz, there was candy thruout the box. A rope frisbee and bones for my doggies. two cute mugs with hot chocolate, a tin of cookies 2 pr socks, 2 tangerines 2 pennies, an adorable sok deer with candy canes a fully packed box I love it all Thankyou Beth, hope I didn't miss anything. if I did I'm sorry. I'm covered in pine its that time of year. hugs carol

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, looks like we are waiting to hear from Beth. I will email her to see if she has received the box yet.

I know Laura posted her box is in the works so when I receive it, I will post again.

It looks like everyone received some very nice boxes. Thanks to all of you for making this swap a success and Merry Christmas.

Smitties

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Also everything was wrapped in glitter tissue paper another tradition of Beths family and my mugs had a pkg of coco and marshmellows, my cookies were in a cute lil snow man trunk tin a super thoughtfull box Zippy is jealous of the dogs presents wants to know why she didn't get a worm or slug. love you Beth have a Merry Christmas

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

WOW this has been a neat swap. Apologies to both Ellie, Farmergirl and our hostess Margo for taking so long to post.
    I'm finally home after logging almost 6000 miles in about a month. Crazy I know.........
    There was a terrific package waiting on the Dining Room Table from Ellie for this swap. Jack said it has arrived several days ago.
    a lot of seeds. Yeah! Some from my wish list some veggies and a pack of tomatillos which I have been thinking about trying for a couple years. That will be fun.
    Three bright and pretty hand towels in red and green. Already hanging up.
    Two pot holders that are prefect for my kitchen. Pink and blue on off white. I use my pot holders hard and some of the older ones are looking ratty so these are great.
    A BIG green mug with snowflakes and a tree shaped tea bag holder. I'll use this for my Christmas Cocoa and think happy thoughts about all of you Gardenweb friends.
    There was a beautiful crystal snowflake in the box and I have the perfect place for it to hang in my sunny front window.
    Again, thanks and a Merry Christmas to all.
    hugs
    Beth

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beth, it slipped my mind that you were out and about traveling the country. I am glad you are home safe and sound.

Everyone received great boxes and as soon as mine arrives, this swap will be complete.

Merry Christmas to all of you and may your gardens be plentiful in the coming year.

Margo

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Merry Christmas Gang!!! Hope you all are having a great day. Believe it or not we are having a WHITE Christmas here in GA!!

later...April

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Merry Christmas to you April and to all the other members here. I did here the south was having some interesting weather.

Margo

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Here in NE Ohio, we didn't have a white Christmas, but I am glad to hear that some places in the south got snow, especially since it is so rare in the south. Since we have had our share, fifty inches at the nearest airport, I was actually happy not to have anymore right now. It is beautiful, but when you get so much snow, you get tired of cleaning the cars, the sidewalks, the driveway, etc. January and February always brings lots of cold winter winds and plenty of snow as well, so I look forward to that in the near future...then it will be spring again before we know it. Take care all.

Sue

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hope everyone is ready to welcome in the New Year. Any big plans for anyone?

Still waiting on my box. I am going to contact Laura to see if it has been sent yet.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

We have a lot of snow here in AZ and that is a bit unusual . It goes by the altitude and seems to have gotten a lot lower than usual.
    No plans to go anywhere until Saturday. Meanwhile, we'll just stay snowed in and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
    April,that is a really pretty graphic for Christmas.
    Bethb

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woo hoo, I am doing the happy dance for the New Year. Just heard from Laura and my package is on the way.

Beth, it seems the snow is hitting in the places it doesn't usually fall in this winter. We have had a little but mostly cold temperatures in December. Today we were in the 40's and tomorrow calls for the 50's. Of course, rain comes along with it but that's ok. Give the furnace a little break.

I guess we are going to my son's for the New Year, dinner out, a couple drinks at the bar and then back to his house to ring in the New Year. I am looking forward to it.

Happy New Year!!! Smitties

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My box from Laura arrived yesterday but I was unable to get a chance to post. In the box I found,

A little Christmas santa jar filled with seed packages.
    Assorted flavored teas
    Snowman mug
    Hot chocolate
    A little stocking filled with a package of chocolate coins and a little candle shaped like a gift box.
    Peppermint bark candy
    Glass frog ornament
    Beaded ornament, 2 beaded angels, and beaded bell
    and a Welcome garden sign.

I think I remembered everything. Thank you Laura for the great box of goodies.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I had a good time with my first Hostess job.

Margo