Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneysgran

UPDATE: Traveling Daylilies (Photos 12)

brittneysgran
15 years ago

Sharing blooms is so nice on these gloomy winter days. I never tire of looking at my pictures.

Asiatic lilies and hostas

Birds nest in my jap. irises.

Jap. irises

Daylily Uri Geller

Romanian Rendezvous

Spacecoast Spicegirl

Shirley

Comments (48)

• mareas
    15 years ago

Thank you Shirley! I never get tired of 'em. either!
    Here's Forbidden Desires
    {{gwi:1320389}}

Lights Camera Action

& Dutch Iris

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Shirley,
    All my hosta's are in shade. What are yours in since you have lilies growing with them ... how pretty, a splash of color in with all the green.
    I love the bird's nest in the iris, I'm afraid that would not last with my hunting Ahi cat.
    Your Romanian Rendezvous is one of my favorites. You know I love the red eye/edge daylilies, but RR has that unique shape.

Marea, What a stellar picture of Forbidden Desires!

My turn ... lol

Calla Lilies in pots.

Shot with FinePix 3800

Tuscawilla Snowdrift - my bestest White.
    {{gwi:1320397}}
    Shot with FinePix 3800 at 2006-06-22

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Beautiful pics everyone! Love to see all your beautiful flowers! Melinda

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MArea-Forbidden desires is an all time favorite of mine.

Sharon-I was shocked when I saw the birds nest almost on the ground. Don't really know if they hatched or not. I love callas...will share some of mine when I load them to photobucket.

Bears Breeches (From Jo---I love this plant)

Eucomis-Pineapple Lily

Cappuccino Lily

Royal Present

Pink Bee Balm

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Shirley, I love your Cappuccino Lily. I have Centerfold, which I like, but your Cappuccino is so much more of a standout.

I had several of the Eucomis-Pineapple Lily's. I used to dig them up each winter. I traded away all but one. I planted that one next to my house in my zone 7 microclimate. Darn thing comes back each year, but the stalk is so close to the house that it falls over. :o(

Some day I will have to dig it up and trade it.
    Yours looks great by the way, a real stunner.
    sharon

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Sharon, your use of dappled light in the calla shot is beautiful.

Marea, Oh my that Forbidden desire DL is gorgeous. I also love that lights camera action iris. It is a showoff!

Shirley, the birds nest is funny. I too am curious if the asiatics are able to bloom in full shade after the first year?

BTW, Miriam, so glad your rehab days are numbered. I used to work in rehab. We worked the patients very hard to get them home ASAP. Hang in there!- of course by the time you see this you will be outta there!

I just took 3 macro shots of my plants with melted snow.
    Here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/zoohere.k/MacroGardenShots#

the other 2 are just an arrow away from that.

Thx Debbie (budsnblooms) for the card!

I'm looking for warm glove suggestions- something that can go to zero degrees and be laundered. Anybody tried those lobsterclaw amfib gloves?

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: heuchera 'Amethyst mist' in snow

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen-Love those sedums. Actually the hostas are not in complete shade and they do very well there. So the asiatics get the sun they need.

Sharon-Yes I love my pineapple lily and have several different colors. Cappuccino is a stand out in the garden that's for sure.

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Karen, Amethyist Mist is one of my favorite coral bells.

• mareas
    15 years ago

Karen, no glove help here. I'd checkout LL Bean or outfitters for descriptions... Gorgeous heuchera!! I love mine, too. And I love purple daylilies, too. It's a difficult color for my camera, I'm upgrading to yours one day.

Sharon, your Tuscawilla photo is fabulous!

All the photos are fabulous, thanks for sharing!!

Here is Awesome Blossom last Summer, who was finally awesome just before I was gonna get rid of it all !

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Oh, no, we fell off the first page.

Marea, why do you have to get rid of Awesome Blossom?
    I had her for a year or 2, she didn't do well for me and I'm not in love with her coloring, but a lot of people really like her.

I still haven't figured out the new camera, so no new pictures, but I will put up an old one.

Here is Desert Icicles. A spider daylily ... yikes. Sorry about all the dead blossoms in the picture, I was trying for some seeds from her that year. I had promised her to someone here on the Traveling Daylilies, but don't remember who. So if you know who you are speak up. I'm going to need more room next spring. lol

{{gwi:1320403}}
    Shot at 2007-07-22

• mareas
    15 years ago

Sharon, Desert Icicle looks so cool with those daisies! (pardon the pun!) It wasn't me that asked for some, I'm not a white flower fan for some inexplicable reason.

Awesome Blossom needs warm nights to open well, which are rather rare & far between here in the Pacific NW. The first couple DOZEN flowers were disappointing last Summer, but in the heat of August it became the most stunning flower blooming in my collection. The plants are just loaded with buds & rebloom stalks, so I'm hoping the crosses I made with the cool weather openers will perform better here than Awesome does & still have it's eye blasting colors, substance, knobby edges & great plant habits.

Still no word from Gloria...

I went to a party on New Year's Eve that was SO much fun it didn't end until 11 PM the NEXT night, LOL! I laughed so much my sides still hurt.

Wishing you all health & prosperity in 2009.

Peace & love, marea

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just talked to Gloria's husband and she got to go home Dec. 23rd. Yeah she was home for Christmas. He said she was in bed for the night so we didn't wake her. Thank you Dear God for taking care of her during this ordeal.

Sharon-I bought Desert Icicle last year and hope to see blooms this year. You know I love those spiders. Love it planted with those vibrant orange and brown colored daisies.

Calla lilies

Shirley

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

These pictures of baby Gunner were taken at Christmas:

{{gwi:1320407}}

{{gwi:1320408}}
    {{gwi:1320410}}

He's just as sweet and cuddly as he looks. He's 4 months old already, I can hardly believe it. He'll be shaving before I know it.

Thanks for sharing my happiness with me.
    Debbie

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debbie-What a precious doll baby, love the first one with the blanket. You should send it to cute kid I bet it would win.

Shirley

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

I've so enjoyed looking at all your pictures.

Debbie, your grandson Gunner is just so adorable. I bet he's a lot of fun.
    We have our son and his 2 youngsters staying here with us for awhile. Drake is 4 and Kaydance is soon to be 3. What a joy they've been. Brought some sunshine to this dreary winter that's for sure. :-)

Marea, I need to pick your brain on which daylilies do well in our climate. I'm pretty new to collecting (just 3 years but already have over 300) and have mostly just been picking them by pretty faces.
    I'm sure I'll find that some won't like it here.
    Here's Longfields Twins from Last summer. I thought it bloomed very nicely for a first year plant.

So Many Stars was also new.

Joy

• taz56
    15 years ago

Beautiful photo's and Lil'man! love those blue eye's!
    Susan

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hi Susan (taz56). Good to see you joining in. Feel free to post your photo's to show. We love to while away the winter blues with pretty pictures.

Speaking of which, here's something I want to see growing in my garden this year:

Son John Brent and Grandson John Gunner {{gwi:1320415}}
    Granddaughter Shelby
    center>

I'll post some pictures of my last years garden soon.
    Debbie

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Some pictures from last summers garden to cheer up this cold winter morning.

Debbie

Cherry Valentine

center>

Hillbilly Heart-My Current Favorite

center>

Mapping Kentucky

Pixie Paintbrush

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

I finally sat down and copied this Rudbeckia picture. I saved seeds from this guy. I just loved him last summer. He bloomed very late in the season, from a seed that got a late start I suspect. He shot up 2 flowers and they both were about 12 inches in ht. with a bloom size of 5 inches. I've planted a large variety of Rudbeckias in my garden over the years and let the volunteers come up along with the purebreds so I'm sure he is a cross.
    I hope to be planting some of his babies this spring. :o)
    sharon

{{gwi:1320424}}

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

I know I can't apply for membership for the Traveling Daylilies until April, but I thought I would post some picks, unfortunately they are not beautiful callas, lilies, daylilies or rudbeckias, they are carnivores, I hope you enjoy!

Kamil

Nepenthes Sanguinia Pitchers
    {{gwi:1320427}}
    {{gwi:1233798}}

Pinguicula X 'Sethos'
    {{gwi:1320431}}

Forest of Drosera Adelae
    {{gwi:1233795}}

Flower Stalk emerging from Drosera Madagascariensis
    {{gwi:1320435}}

Drosera Aliciae, Drosera Prolifera, And Drosera Callistos in the back
    {{gwi:1233796}}

(sorry for blurryness)

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Kamil, cool pictures. Are they indoor plants?

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Yes, They are sortas indoor plants, I bring them in for the winter and set them out in the summer.

Kamil

I have many of them for trade :0)

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hi Kamil,

So glad to see you posting your pictures. For the group members info....Kamil and I have been talking about how to join our group and as she said she will be eligible to become a member in April. In the meantime please welcome her as she gets to know us and we get to know her.

Although she cannot group trade yet...she certainly can trade individually with any of us....and that will also fulfill the trade obligations....so....as soon as the weather permits...start trading all you want. Remember there are other things that can be traded right now and not have to wait until spring. These are examples, I'm sure you can think of many more and better ones...
    Gardening Books, Old/new Garden Magizines, Dvd's, Seeds,
    Crafts, Birdhouses, Personal artistic work, needlework,
    well you get the idea.

I see that moving my pic's around on photobucket has broken the link....darn...those little boxes are really unattractive.

Debbie

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

I just wanted to make a correction, I am a he, I know the name sounds like a girl name but its a common polish name. I cant wait to trade!

Kamil

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

OOP's, sorry Kamil. Paul and Cody will be glad to hear their numbers may be expanding. Click on the blue My Page in this message and it will take you to my trade page. It is not up to date but it will give you an idea of what I have to trade. Many of us check out what people have and want on their trade list so we can offer to make trades when spring comes.

It's my personal opinion that many, if not most of us, are obsessive collectors and I have a feeling you
    will start another collecting obsession with your carnivores (sigh) Just what I need... another obsession...Lets see it started with daylilies, then hosta, then iris, then sedum...could carnivorous be next?

Everyone....please remember if you are interested in trading dvd's to sign up on our other thread in the next couple of weeks.

Debbie

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Kamil,
    Glad you set us straight. Polish eh? Great ! I'm mostly German.
    Great tight shots. Love the scrolling ends on the Drosera. Lovely!

I spent a while in the hospital with trigeminal neuralgia. I am 90% recovered and back to work this week. I have never been thru anything so painful including birth! I believe prayer and acupuncture both helped.

I have some lily (lilium) seedlings started. I am having some trouble with damp off. I'm also dividing houseplants. I wish winter was shorter and that my garden wasn't under a foot of snow.. sigh...

I miss your regular posting Maria. Hope you are in a new home sweet home soon. hugs!

I'm pondering putting in a lily order with K Valley greenhouse and Jungs ( plants)

I lost my last post. Will quit while I'm ahead,
    Karen/cheerpeople

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

pic from oct. Can't seem to get it here directly.

Here is a link that might be useful: croscosmia

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Karen, Is that Castor Bean in the back? I would love to trade you some for some Drosera Adelae(the scrolling one)!

Kamil

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Kamil,

we could do a seed trade. The castors are so easy it is silly to ship you a plant.
    I used to start them inside with tomatoes in April but now I just sow them in situ ( like the ones pictured) mid May. Those are called 'new Zealand purple'
    Maybe you have some seed to trade ( doesn't have to be drosera)
    I looked them up on you tube- interesting- aren't they?
    Have you seen how mimosa puddica moves? It's my fav. moving plant. Easy from seed too.-
    there's a you tube video of mimosa too-
    Karen

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Karen, what a beautiful picture! A stellar use of variations of the same color.

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Sharing some recent Amaryllis photos.

Exotic Star
    {{gwi:1320437}}

Charisma
    {{gwi:1320439}}

Green Goddess
    {{gwi:1320441}}

Lady Jane (it's a double)
    {{gwi:1320442}}

Papillo Improved
    {{gwi:1320445}}

Thanks,
    Paul

• michael81
    15 years ago

oh wow i love those spider daylilys wish i had some

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

This is Sweet Lilian:

{{gwi:1320447}}

Group of Lady Jane, Charisma, and Sweet Lilian:

{{gwi:1320449}}

Thanks.

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Paul, how very pretty. Very nice close up of Sweet Lilian.
    I have one Amaryllis that I was going to try to get to bloom at Christmas ... kind of forgot I was going to do that till a week before Christmas. I took it out of dormancy anyway, and it looks like it will bloom anyday now. :o) so much for Christmas. lol

the rest of mine I put outside in the summer and they bloom then.
    sharon

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

I've been rearranging photos in my photobucket and it looks like it wiped out my pictures above. I guess I will just have to post some from yesterday.

Gunner is learning to eat real food. And believe it or not we did manage to get some in him.

Wearing his big boy pajamas.

Hard to believe he is already 6 months old.

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Deb, you mentioned pictures in the other thread, so over I came. That Gunner is one handsome babe.

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Hello all. Love everyone's pics! I think the amaryllis are beautiful, but don't grow them! I have a couple but just not good with them.
    Karen, I love the crocosmia pic! They are also one of my favs!
    And Deb, that grandson is adorable!! What a perfect age!!
    Keep the pics coming-=I absolutely love looking at them!
    Melinda

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Shirley I dearly love seeing your pictures.Your gardens are beautifull.Thanks for sharing:)
    Debbie your daylilies are wonderfull.Gunner is so cute.He's at the age where the fun begins.
    Paul your Amarryllis are WOW!

Waiting on spring so posting a few picute myself.

This is my side front yard,I just love it:)

Sorry thought I down sizes these,but I guess not.
    Custard Candy and Tiger Babies

Another picture of the front yard 08

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Oh I can see how you love your side front yard!! It is absolutely gorgeous! The way you have done it all is amazing! Looks like a landscaper came in and did it! You have a right to love it! wish I could get mine to look like that!
    Melinda

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Jean, how very innovative to put hosta under the bush that is flowering white. I always think of putting hosta on the shady side of a building or under trees, but I've never put one under a bush ... hmmmmm.

Your yard is perfect. Looks like all perinneals.
    Last spring I spotted a couple homes that had the blue siberean iris blooming and Wow are they stunning. I have to remember to try and find someone to trade with for some of those this summer.

In your first picture I see hosta, ferns, coral bells ... please tell me what else you have tucked in there.

I think that surrounding the tree with rocks in the first picture was a stroke of genius, It really brings the whole garden together, not sure how. Is it that it brings all the grey together, the grey of the fence and the arbor and the rocks and tree bark. Just love it!

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Sharon, I posted on the TD site but will post here also~I have tons of siberian iris if interested come spring!Just give me a holler! Melinda

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

I love useing rocks as bigs as I can move:)
    But its not really good for the trees I'm told.
    I'm not moving those rocks thou,love them love them.
    Being that my tress are maples.I can't plant anything that close to them.So the rocks come in to play.

My poor hostas go under anything and everything..hehehe
    This is one of my favs.

In the first picture or area is just about any thing you can think of.In the back area is tall breaded iris,peonies,
    daylilies,lilies,virginia bells(in the spring),impatiences(not a smart move there,always pulling lots of that out in the spring)Bleeding hearts up by fence,grape vine on the fence.Then theres meadow sweet(short white one),astilbe(few different colors)dead nettles(many different ones,love that stuff),brunneras,hardy geraniums,false solomons seal,epimediums(one and pink one),Oh and sedums(few different ones)Now are you sorry you askes...hehe..its kinda of a big space and I'm sure I missed a few things.

Sharon I'ld be more then happy to send you some sib iris in the spring

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Again, more gorgeous pics! What is the purple thing by the driftwood and geranium? I just love your style! Melinda

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Thank you.
    Its a clematis,sorry I can't remember the name.

Come on all,I'm so bored with winter...post picture of your
    fav spot in your gardens.

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

A beautiful day today. I'm in my back yard cleaning up a bit and look what was coiled up amongs the pots ready to take me out.

{{gwi:1320468}}

That's a Southern Pacific Rattler... a little baby that doesn't even know how to rattle properly, but definitely with venum to make me very uncomfortable. You can bet I'm going to be careful now that I know one made it into my yard.

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jean-Your gardens are outstanding, those pictures should be in some magazine. Wow you really know how to put everything together. I have some siberian irises but don't think any of mine are that bright blue. Would love to trade for some of those.

Paul-OHHHHH I hate snakes. We have the Timber Rattler here in the Carolinas.

Shirley

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, I too hate snakes!!! I would have been petrified to try and get a pic! Never happen!!
    So glad it didn't bite!! Melinda

• ellenh
    15 years ago

Jean - Your gardens are gorgeous! Wish I could get my gardens to look so nice. I seem to have more weeds than plants sometimes. I love the look of rocks in the garden as well. Luckily I have lots of them!

I get the feeling that none of you would do well in my house. We only have two snakes right now as pets, we've had up to 10. All of varying sizes up to 13 feet long. DH and DS love snakes. I don't really mind them myself. A rattler, on the other hand...... I definitely wouldn't want.

Today DH picked up two angora rabbits for DD. Really cute, came with 2 cages and a nice rabbit hutch. They need a good grooming. Hopefully we'll get to teach DD how to take responsibility for them. DH doesn't want to take care of any more animals.

Ellen