Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new: jan. 2013 fostess swap: snowflake swap

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 22:12

FOTESS Jan. 2013 Snowflake Swap

FOTESS Stand for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. You must be a member of the group in order to participate in this swap. If you would like to find out more about joining the group, contact me or Shirley.

Cloudy with a chance of snow... is that your weather forecast? Do you wish it was?
Anyway for those who sign up in January, you will be matched with one partner and will send her something that represents snow - seeds for white flowering plants or plants that produce white (or almost white) fruit or foliage, something white for the garden or the home, a white food item, or how about a handmade card with snow as the theme and cut out a few of the paper snowflakes to include like we all did as a child? Send whatever you want to represent snow and the item or items must be something that can be sent in a padded envelope. Recyling and upcycling are totally fine. If you are inclined to buy something rather than make or recycle, spend no more than $10 on your item or items. Spending less is fine. We just set an upper limit so no one gets too extravagent. That's not this group. We are trying to keep things simple, simple, simple...

It's not likely to snow here in South Carolina, but I'll be happy to get some "snow" in the mail... well, not real snow because it would melt, but you know what I mean.

I'll be posting a game for this month so watch for it, too.
Happy New Year!
Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 17:11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: jan. 2013 fostess swap: snowflake swap

Winter FOTESS Bingo

For any members who want to play BINGO this month, please email me your list of 15 selections from the bingo words below by Jan. 3. On the 4th, I will begin drawing words. Keep track of your BINGO list at home. I will have your copy here to cross reference it. The first member to get 15 words, wins and will receive a wintery prize. (Notice that you have to be careful with the words: "Snow" is different from "Snow Puff, Snowball, Snow Lady" etc.)

1. Snow
2. Frost
3. Winter Sowing
4. Ice
5. Boots
6. Mittens
7. Skiing
8. Snowmobile
9. Winterberry
10. Pine
11. Holly
12. Christmas Rose
13. Ice Plant
14. Snowdrops
15. Arctic Beauty
16. Black Ice
17. Green Ice
18. Peppermint Stick
19. Full Moon
20. White Wedding
21. Iceberg
22. Snowbird
23. Fire 'n Ice
24. Snowball
25. Snow Lady
26. Snow Puff
27. Polar Star
28. Double Icicle
29. Northern Lights
30. Snowy Mountain

Yes, I included some plant names in the list!
Hope many of our members will sign up for the swap or want to play BINGO this month.

Jeanne

o

This is a easy and fun one so count me in. Definitely have snow here. I think we have had as much this week as we did all last year and that really isn't that much. It is nice to have the snow after last years dry spell.

Will email you my words for Bingo.

Margo

o

hello
I would like to play too.
we have more ice than snow.
michelle

o

So happy to have you sign up Margo and Michelle.
Margo has sent in her list of BINGO words.

o

Shoveling the snow and bringing this back up toward the top.

o

Count me in!! Snowflakes are to start flying again today.
Suzanne

o

Signed up for the January Swap so far:
Jeanne
Margo
Michelle
Suzanne

Did anyone watch Christmas movies on TV in December? I record them if I don't have time to watch them live, so I am still watching some Christmas movies - many that were new to me and very good. Last evening I watched Alice in Wonderland where so goes back to Wonderland at age 19. Very creative!

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and a safe New Year's Eve. I will be at home watching TV so that sounds safe enough. I'm interested in the segment they will have looking back on Dick Clark ushering in the New Year.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, love this. Count me in! I will send my BINGO words today or tomorrow. Thanks for hosting!!

Christmas is over but I am still watching Christmas movies late at night...Hallmark channel. Some of them are really simple movies but they have nice messages....sharing, giving, loving, finding love, forgiveness etc. I really like the true HALLMARK movies that are run on CBS (I think)every 2-3 months......the ones where they only run HALLMARK card commercials. I am always looking for those movies on the Hallmark channel(s), whether Christmas related or not.

A very Happy New Year to all. CHEERS!

Annie

o

I don't have time this month, but it sounds like a fun swap. I will be looking for February's swap-hopefully by then I will have time to play.
I wish is would snow here. I would love to make snow cream and watch ruddy faced children toss snowballs.
Take care,
Alana

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 17:11

Oooo, I do so wish it would snow here!
Sounds like fun, plus super simple and easy! Count me in :)
Hope everyone had a nice holiday and Happy New Year!
Will send in my bingo words after posting this.

Katie

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 21:24

S n o w much fun! I'm in. With a 20% chance of snow tonight, it might be pretty in the morning.

My son had fun taking this photo of the egg basket & our Pomeranian dog, Teddy after we came in from doing chores.

Brrr, it was cold. Thankfully, I don't do chores outside much this time of year, but with freezing weather I wanted to help him out. I came in right to the fireplace (electric & instantly warm) and Teddy followed me.

He is a funny little dog & squeezed under the chicken gate to help himself to a treat of kitchen scraps I had tossed out to them. He came right out when I called him, then I moved the block back in place.

Happy New Year everyone,
Corrine

o

Happy New Year FOTESSERS,

Jeanne, I emailed my BINGO words to you a few minutes ago.

Annie

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 19:56

Happy 2013, everyone!
I'm going to take a break from swapping this month. I'll be working 5 days a week, so I need to get all my other interests organized a little differently! No point in being overwhelmed. Although I have to say that my craft/photography cupboard is a BIG mess, feeling some stress with that!

Jeanne, yet another great idea! I hope some of our new members, like Kelli, Peggy, Mandy, Diane, Rena' and Keyla will join in this month. Along with lots of the "oldies" too!

I'll be back to chat,
Shirley!

o

Happy New Year FOTESS members!

My husband and I have had nice days - watching football, eating Chinese takeout food, and making cheese fondue this evening. I never did see much coverage about Dick Clark on TV. Maybe I was just watching at the wrong time. The music, etc. didn't hold my attention so I just watched for a few minutes around when the ball dropped.

I have more Christmas movies to watch. They keep me in the holiday spirit. Corrine, I love the picture of your Pom. Great photograph.

Anyway, here's our updated list of players for this month and if I have Bingo words from you, I followed it with a (B):

Jeanne
Michelle
Margo (B)
Suzanne (B)
Annie (B)
Katie (B)
Corrine

I hope more will join us. I realize that I need to start winter sowing in a few weeks so I need to look at my collection of seeds. I think it's time to toss out some of the old ones, but if anyone in FOTESS wants to take a chance with some that have no date or as old as 2008 (or older), let me know and I will be happy to send out one big envelope of what I might otherwise discard. I've had pretty good luck with older seed, but just don't have the space to plant them all.

My left eye that gave me problems for months following surgery had finally started feeling much better a few weeks ago and I was so happy - but it started bothering me again a few days ago. I hope it's just because our heat is running a bit more so maybe it's causing dryness which causes irritation. It may be time to hook up the small humidifier! My sinuses aren't so happy right now either.

Enjoy what's left of New Year's Day!
Wishing everyone health, happiness, and a good gardening year.
Jeanne

o

I'm not a member of FOTESS, but many of you know me. I would love to join in on this one! Just let me know please and I will be glad to send in my bingo words. Thanks, Melinda
Haven't done swaps in a couple years but one now and then. See a lot of new names here.

o

Sending information to you by e-mail, Melinda. So happy to see you are interested in joining! You are a name I recognize as a long time member of GardenWeb.
Jeanne

o

Thanks so much Jeanne! I sent the info and fixing to send the bingo names in.
For those who don't know me, I will post a little about myself after a bit. I have some other things to get to today.

o

A big FOTESS welcome to Melinda! She has sent in her information and will be joining us for the January Swap. I also have her BINGO words.

Just a reminder, you have until the end of the day tomorrow to send me BINGO words if you want to play this month. On the 4th I will begin drawing words. You do not have to be signed up for the swap this month in order to play. You only need to be a FOTESS member.

I have someone who wants to try growing my older seeds so hope she has luck with them. I'm sure many of them will grow. I'll try to get them mailed out next week.

Is anyone else on an "after the holidays diet"? I really need it and my willpower stays good for a few days, but it sure is hard to continue to be motivated!

Have a great day,

Jeanne

o

Another fun swap, but I'll have to pass again this month. Thank you again for the cards last month, they really brightened my holiday! :)
I hope to be able to join a swap by March or so...just have to concentrate on all the DR's bills right now, so there isn't any extra funds for fun. But soon, I hope. :)
Y'all have fun!
Melissa

o

I would like to join this one - it looks like fun. My kitties are keeping me warm with how cold it has started to get here. We have some snow, but more is on the way.

I'll get Bingo words in soon.

Thanks!
Mandy

o

Happy New Year!!!!

I would love to be part of the exchange. I will email my BINGO words.... Thank you

Kelli

o

Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 6:41

Morning ALL!!
Hi Melinda, and welcome to FOTESS! You're gonna love it here!
I'm working extra hours, this week and next - getting up early is NOT something I do easily!
Kelli and Mandy, glad to see ya both joining in this month!
Melissa, join in when you can; hope everything is going a little better for you and your family.
Hi Annie, Katie, Alana, Margo, Suzanne and Michelle!
Corrine, what a cute pup!!
I need some more coffee! Talk to ya all soon!
Shirley!

o

Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 10:24

Sent my bingo list in this morning. I forgot to hit send last night.

Yesterday, before lunch my family took down about 70 feet of panels & gates from a white vinyl picket fence for free off Craigslist in below freezing weather with sunshine & wind. We're storing it until we move to another house here at camp when a family moves away. Don't you like the hope & dreams of something new? Hope it happens in this next year as we've been waiting 2 years.

Later on an older friend commented on how my face had good color & was filled out more -- looking better, not hollow eyes. She says it like it is. Hmmm, I was having a hot flash with my jacket still on and I have been sleeping better, but this morning I figured it out --- a bit puffy from wind & a mild sunburn. Will I receive compliments today? Probably not. I'm glad I didn't wear sunglasses!

Have a great day ~ Corrine

o

Thanks for the welcome! I know some of you, but several are new faces or me.
I've been a member of GW over 10 years. The last couple I haven't done much due to developing brucellosis one spring and being treated for that and then next year developing breast cancer. Had double mastectomy and still take pills daily to hopefully not have it spread somewhere else. I am doing well most days.
Really looking forward to spring! Plan on doing lots of wintersowing this year and praying nothing changes and I can't work outside this year! I have tons of cleaning and rearranging and new planting to replace many things lost due to neglect and drought. My gardens right now are the pits!
I also love to cook, quilt, and do canning when I have stuff to can. Planning large veggie garden in several places this year to do lots of putting food up.
I have 2 cats and chickens. Mostly have my grandsons here most of the time and many days they drive me crazy!! LOL!
They used to be alot of fun in gardening but getting older and not as interested. STill get help at times. They are 16, 12, and 10. I have 1 grddgt. who is 16 and lives about an hr. away.
Like others, I am also watching my weight after the holidays. I had lost alot but still need to lose more, so will be glad to support anyone as it is hard to do!
My fav flowers are daylilies and iris, but really love them all! I have lots of sun areas and lots of shade areas. I bought 100's of dollars worth of hosta a few years back but something ate most of them. But going to try and replace with many more. Have to totally redo my shade beds. Esp. wanting Empress WU! LOl!
I am a widow, husband died when I was 42 and have been alone ever since. My mother (who was also a member of GW) passed 7 years ago this April! So have memory gardens planned to make for them. I have many plants to put in them already but they are here and there. I still have them in memory of them, but hoping to make new ones esp. for them this year also.
So you see, I pray daily for God's strength and faith in keeping me well, as I have lots to do! LOL! Positivity helps alot!
That's plenty for now. Same oh, same oh, to many of you. Would love to hear from all new ones I don't know. Can send email if don't want to post here.
God Bless all and have a great day! Melinda
P.S. I forgot was suppose to say something about books. I love to read!! REad almost anything I can get hands on. I used to read tons of John Saul, Dean Koontz, STephen King and have many of these, but something changed through the years and can't hardly read this stuff anymore. Or watch alot of scary movies either and used to love them. I read alot of inspirational books, garden books and magazines, Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts, Fern Michaels, etc. I collect cookbooks also. Can read them all day. I do read alot!

o

I want in! I want to play! I had to let the idea of snow sink in a little--had to chew on it. Now I have an idea! Of course, I have so many things I want to do. I think this is a common theme for our group!

Melinda--does your user name have a story?

I'm wintersowing. I figured out I needed something to hold up my bottles so they don't blow over. A laundry basket is now $7! I bought one (only one) and almost cried. Yesterday I hit the jackpot--went to Goodwill and asked. They keep them in the back and they were only $2. They aren't new, but they're going to stay outside anyway so who cares. They couldn't believe I wanted the cracked ones--I wanted those the worst! 50 cents!
Heidi

o

I am a new member and I would like to participate in this swap. Also a BIG Thank You to smitties/Margo for agreeing to sponsor me. A bit about myself: I have been a lurker of the Harvest forum and ended up joining GW a year or so ago. I enjoy canning and was taught by my mother. I prefer to BWB: Pickled vegies, salsas and jams. My husband and I have a small acreage and have raised lambs for our freezer. I enjoy cooking (and eating). I have a weakness for yard sales and will usually come home with a spiral bound community type cookbook. I enjoy surfing for recipes. Tried a lamb curry recipe from Food.com last night for dinner and it was very tasty. I work full time in social services. I have been on vacation this past week as my son is home on leave from the Air Force. My Daughter is living at home, looking for a job that would enable her to work outdoors in Forestry, fishery or trails maintenance. I look forward to learning about other members as time goes on. We have snow on the ground so the snow themed exchange will be a fun activity to help pass the short grey days and long winter nights.

o

Wow Heidi, that was quite the find! And my user name stands for I love flowers and rocks and children-although not necessarily in that order! LOL!
Hello Canfan! I am new to this group, but know some of them but not all. I'm like you. I collect cookbooks so find them at flea markets, yard sales, etc. Love to try new things and like pretty much everything if I can eat it! Probably why I need to lose some weight, huh? LOl!
Hope everyone has a great evening!

o

What a great turn out so far! We have:
Jeanne
Michelle
Margo
Suzanne
Annie
Katie
Corrine
Melinda
Mandy
Kelli
Heidi

Hope I didn't miss anyone. If so, let me know. Actually there is still time for more to sign up. Sign up ends Jan. 9th.

I have Bingo lists from Margo, Suzanne, Annie, Katie, Corrine, Melinda and Mandy. I think Kelli plans to play.
I will wait to start drawing word until the evening tomorrow so hopefully you can e-mail me your list before then, Kelli... and anyone else in the group who wants to play the Bingo game. I am starting it on the 4th so we can be certain to finish by the end of the month. It always seems to take longer than we think for someone to get Bingo. (If you sent your Bingo words and I didn't list you, please resend them if you can. I'm pretty sure those are the only ones that made it to my mailbox.)

Loved reading the introductions our new members provided. This is such an interesting group and always doing interesting things!

Well, it's getting to be bed time here, so I'll see all of you tomorrow.

Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 17:09

o

Kelli, I have your Bingo words now. I will still draw the first word a bit later in the day in case someone elae would like to submit words.
Thanks!
Jeanne

o

I was back on the computer for awhile so I drew the first word for Bingo - it's

WINTER SOWING

Have fun with the game!

o

I'd love to sign up for this swap :) Down here in AL we don't get snow very often where I'm at so I'd welcome this chance of "snow" without the shoveling, freezing, and messiness it can bring lol

o

Welcome to the swap, Dainne. My chance of snow here in SC is pretty slim, too, so a snowy swap will be great!

Today's Bingo: CHRISTMAS ROSE

o

Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 10:07

Welcome new members ~

Melinda, don't you love how chickens & gardens are great partners? As long as the chickens are fenced out of the garden beds! They eat up what isn't fit for us to eat and their soiled coop bedding was our 1st supply of mulch around the fruit trees years ago. Plus their antics are entertaining and they don't care about our small dog who is at their level -- low & fast :o) We have 9 laying hens who were chicks in 2011, so as long as we're not moving we'll raise replacements again this spring. A few older hens spend the summer at the camp's petting zoo because they let the kids catch them. It doesn't matter if they're great layers or not by then.

Canfan, your GW name is awesome. Do you can your own garden harvest or purchase from a farmer's market? Isn't it nice to open up something in winter that you made in summer? Something odd is that in 4-H kids now aren't suppose to cook or can with any homegrown produce because of health department regulations. Judges don't even taste the canned goods. It's a shame that the kids have to purchase herbs if they're demonstrate dehydrating when there is a near limitless supply in the gardens mid summer.

I'm winter sowing this morning with a group of people at the Green Elephant plant swap. It's so exciting we were both up early. We'll also do hardwood cuttings. My husband comes along to support me & has a good time since there are plenty of men that attend. He has a men's retreat planning meeting before we go, so I have more time to make labels. Last year I traded seeds, helped newbies, and talked so much I didn't sow a single seed, but I did learn how to do the hardwood cuttings. I brought a lot of cuttings last year, but didn't cut anything this year since I've had a cold & it was freezing weather. If I can I'll snip a few things this morning when it's light. The most surprising cutting that rooted was heavenly bamboo or Nandina from our daughter's home.

I will take cuttings again from her shrubs tonight when we visit for dinner. She doesn't mind my snipping them at all & prefers a bit of thinning since previous owners' garden service pruned everything into muffins. Ugh! The barberry were so bad they just dug them out & threw them in yard waste. The hydrangea was leveled to the ground & finally bloomed last year, but needs to be moved this winter since it obstructs the path and the water spigot. Plus it's in prime real estate for tomatoes against the sunny side of the house & not a great spot for a hydrangea.

If you haven't tried hardwood cuttings, it's super easy & our weather waters them for you in spring, but we need to water in summer. Spirea, Hydrangea, Escallonia, nandina, elderberry, redtwig dogwood, & burning bush all rooted. Camellia didn't, but the shrub needed trimming anyway, so I had to try though it was blooming.

Corrine

o

Yeah, I am two for two at Bingo!!!

So, my husband took down the tree while I was at work and per my instructions, put the ornaments lined up on the floor so I could put them away. This is a clean out what we don't use year. Anyway, I was putting some away in their correct boxes when suddenly my knee locked and I could not get up because of the extreme pain. My husband and son had to pick me up while I kept my knee in the same bent position. I heard no pop or anything, it just locked. It has been like that for an hour and I cannot move my leg. I am sitting in a chair in the most uncomfortable position. If I try to move the left, the knee is so painful, I can't move it.

Anyone have this happen? I have never had this kind of pain before. I am not sure what to do about it either.

Margo

o

So sorry that happened to you Margo! I did this about 4 years ago when bent down to pick a weed out of the garden. I don't know what happened to yours but I definitely had to go to the dr. I then wore a brace for about 6 months!
I so hope this doesn't happen to you! Prayers sent for pain relief and recovery!

I am 2 out of 2 also!! Yeah!
Please let us know how you are doing!

o

Glad to hear I am doing an okay job picking Bingo words. They are folded up when I pick so I don't know what I'm picking. Definitely want to keep it fair.
Ouch, Margo. That certainly sounds painful. Hope your knee is better.
Corrine, thanks for the cutting information. It sounds like you have good luck with it.
Dianne, sorry to get your name wrong this morning. I type faster than my accuracy level.
I'll get the swap list updated tomorrow. Believe it or not, I am working on updating the membership list (with addresses, e-mail, birthdays, gardenWeb names, etc.) for all of us. Yes, it's greatly overdue. Once I get it finalized, I'll e-mail it to our members.
Talk with you later,
Jeanne

o

Corrine - I didn't know about the 4H rule for canning. I check out all the canned goods entered in the fair and try to figure out what recipe they used. My husband is the gardener, although I will join in and have my say over what is planted : ) Since the Yakima Valley is a huge agricultural area we have a large number of fruit/vegetable stands. I like to "make the rounds" to see what people have grown and will purchase some of the hard to grow plants, like okra or if our green pepper crop isn't the best then I will supplement it by buying local esp if I am needing a bunch for relish or salsa. I think I read about the Green Elephant sale.. I was over in that area yesterday/today to take my son to the airport. I hope you had a good turn out.

o

After a few hours, the knee finally quit locking up. Now I am afraid of ever get down on my knee again. I have not had that much pain since giving birth. It was pretty bad.

Ellie, I mailed my package this morning. Why do I collect all these seeds. Once cannot possibly plant all of that. I just have to stay away from catalogs and seed racks now.

Margo

o

Bingo word for today is: ICE PLANT

o

I sent out the revised membership list to current members. If it doesn't arrive in your e-mail, check your spam folder - if still no sign of it, check with me. It might mean I typed in your e-mail address incorrectly. Any corrections to any of the information, please let me know.
We are so happy to have each one of our FOTESS members. It's a very special group and we're looking forward to wonderful swaps in 2013.
Jeanne

o

http://www.almanac.com/content/seasonal-advice-january-recipes-gardening-folklore

thought i'd share a little bit of January info with ya'll...happy reading...some interesting stuff there

o

Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 7:33

Good Morning!
Thanks, Diane, I'll have to check that out!
And thanks to Jeanne for whipping the membership list into shape and getting it out to us. It's quite a job!
I'm still waiting on a "pretty" snowfall, which, ideally, would fall on a Saturday or Sunday when I have time to get out there and take pics. Still, there's always the lunch hour!
Margo, how is the knee? That sounded scary!
Nice to see some of our new members joining in!
Talk to ya all soon!
Shirley!

o

Bingo for today: FULL MOON

Hope some of our players are having luck.
Soon it will be time for the swap partners to be listed!
My other "soon" is I'd better start my winter sowing. Actually, I have lots of things on my "soon list."
Jeanne

o

Welcome to the newest FOTESSERS, Melinda, Kelli and Canfan.
Enjoy the fun!

Margo, how is your knee??

Jeanne, thanks for sending the updated FOTESS membership list. I am laughing at your "soon" and "soon list"....I am quite sure we can all relate...LOL!

Happy Monday!!

Annie

o

Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 16:36

I know I can sure relate to the "soon list." Winter sowing is on mine, too.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask... since we are sending something simple that can be sent in a padded envelope, are we going to use DC#s? I only ask because we've usually done the DC#, but that requires sending stuff as a parcel (more costly). If we are sending in a padded envelope, we could potentially get away with sending as a regular envelope or a flat. I *really* wish the USPS would offer DC#'s online for envelopes & flats.

I am taking a class for college credit & it started today. It's on an accelerated schedule & crams a semester into just 8 weeks. Looks like it's going to be intense. Eeeek!!

I've got 2 BINGO words so far!

o

As far as I'm concerned, it is fine to send without using a delivery confirmation this month. Yes, there's a risk something might get misdelivered, but I think it will all be okay. Obviously if you want to use one, that's fine, too.

I hope no one minds, but I am going to post tomorrow's Bingo word now. I have been shopping for a horse (my 33 year old horse died last Jan. after I had her for 29 years.) I have really missed having a horse, but let me tell you it is hard to pick one out for a "senior rider." I have been looking for the right one for months and this one is not what I would have expected to choose, but sometimes you have to go with your intuition so I hope it guided me the right way. We will pick her up tomorrow. I am so excited! Anyway, tomorrow will be busy so I'll post now.

Tuesday's Bingo Word: Snowdrops

Good luck with the class, Katie.

Jeanne

o

The knee is fine, a little discomfort the next day but nothing now. I am very careful NOT to get down on it as I don't want that to happen again. I have no idea what caused it.

Jeanne, congrats on the new horse. Be sure to post a picture.

Margo

o

The Bingo word for today is PINE.

Glad your knee is fine, Margo. Yes, be careful.

As for my horse, she is here for me to try her out for one week so on Monday I will decide whether to get her after we see how she gets along here and based on her vet check on Monday. I sure hope I can buy her! Definitely, if I am keeping her, I'll post a picture. She already has a name, but I am thinking of changing it. My thoughts so far are Piper, Skylar, and Galaxy. She is black with a few white markings so I think her coat pattern looks like the nighttime sky with stars. Any suggestions?

I'll let you know who you will send to for the Snowflake Swap tomorrow - should be in the morning. Today is the last day to sign up.

Have a great day!
Jeanne

o

Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 11:32

I love the swap theme this month & was brainstorming yesterday about what I could send. Plus, this morning it's snowing like crazy with big fluffy flakes from what I can see with the porch light. What a treat even though it's dark. The chickens will try to eat 'em at first, but then they wise up that it isn't food.

At Saturday's Green Elephant my husband did all the laboring work of carrying pots to & from the car at home & at the event. He also filled all my pots with compost. Since he earned double brownie points I baked a few things allergy safe things on Monday night using up the cranberries and quite a few apples.

Again this year I spent all my time with cuttings, not seeds sticking several in the same pot for more likely rooting success.

*=on my wish list
Burning Bush, dwarf
*Hydrangea, lacecap
*Oak leaf hydrangea
*Pacific Wax Myrtle
*Pacific Yew
Red Currant
Rosemary
*Summersweet
Lilac
Potted up dozens of bareroot hardy geranium

There should be plenty of screening plants for camp since I put several to a pot. The rosemary is for an herb garden at our dining room again in honor of Eric, a camp cook has since passed, but had planted rosemary years ago that didn't survive a cold winter a few years back. That area has been dug up several times with kitchen plumbing problems & yesterday I saw the backhoe over there again looking for a water leak. I couldn't bear to look closer & see what damage was done to the perennial and shrub garden area we replanted in September. I am hoping the dormant plants will be okay because now they have snow on them.

Corrine

o

Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 16:43

Corrine, are all those plants listed ones you are looking for? Or just ones you worked on?

Jeanne, looking forward to seeing pics of the new horse. Perhaps you should consider names of constellations for potential names. And thanks again for the updated member list.

Margo, take it easy on your knee. Might be a good idea to have it looked at in case it happens again, or to prevent possible future damage.

Hi! to all our new members!!

Katie (who's wishing for snow)

o

I made a seed germination table with sand and xmas lights from clearance items. Today it is 50 degrees so I went out and sure enough, the dirt isn't frozen solid. A store nearby is selling their fall-planting tulips half price so I bought more yesterday and today I planted 100 double pink, double dark pink and Claudia tulips. Of course as soon as you do something crazy like plant bulbs in January everyone drives by and waves! I'm very happy, though.
I've had 3 things die on me: 1. computer 2. daughter's phone 3. car. The car is in the shop and I haven't heard what is wrong. The computer is waiting for husband for diagnosis. I found another place to go online.
They told us we might get snow tomorrow. Now they're talking about rain. We'll take any moisture we can get, but the weather man has lied to me too many times. lol
seed germination tray with sand and xmas lights

o

I like using DC#, but when I sent a package for one of our swaps the USPS swore they delivered it, but the person never received it. All the USPS did was shrug their shoulders. I was very disappointed with that answer for the money we pay for Delivery Confirmation.

o

I am always resistant to winter sowing as my past attempts were failures but I am seriously thinking of trying again.

I am thinking I might have to get the knee checked. I had an episode of pain during the night that woke me up out of a deep sleep, (something I rarely get to enjoy). Anyway, my knee wasn't locked this time, just in extreme pain that didn't last too long. It is a bit weird and I hesitate to go to the doctor if it isn't hurting.

Jeanne, good names for the horse. The constellation idea would be a good one to look at.

Margo

o

Just thought I would list who I have signed up one more time before I match folks. I'll do that tomorrow.

We have:
Jeanne
Michelle
Margo
Suzanne
Annie
Katie
Corrine
Melinda
Mandy
Kelli
Heidi
Dianne

If any other members want to be included this month, let me know ASAP.

It has been very warm here the past few days. Wonderful weather for being outside. I know it will get cold again, but it's remarkable how warm the winter has been.

Jeanne

o

The Bingo word for today is: SNOW

... and even more important, here are the swap partners!
We had an even number of people signed up so you and your partner will send to each other. Remember to post when you mail and when you receive. Ready for the fun to begin!

Margo - Suzanne
Katie - Dianne
Kelli - Jeanne
Melinda - Michelle
Heidi - Corrine
Annie - Mandy

Be creative. Keep it simple. Have fun!

Jeanne

o

Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 11:37

Heidi, awesome looking set up. Your tulips sound plunky pink! Bummer about the electronics & your car.

Katie, the shrub & tree list was what cuttings we planted.

Margo, winter sowing has been most successful for me with a covering like jugs not open pots.

All the snow melted, but more is forecast for tonight with lows in 20s. Brrr for western WA.

Corrine

o

It was in the 70s here today and just beautiful! I had a hard time staying inside so I worked on training "my" new horse and planted 14 winter sowing jugs - my first for this year. I worried about winter sowing last year because it was so much warmer than usual, but it didn't seem to affect my success rate. It just means I need to water the jugs a lot.
Hope everyone else had a good day.
Jeanne

o

It was my first time this winter trying winter sowing, so we'll see how that turns out for me. I agree that last year just seemed to warm - even here!

Good luck with your new horse Jeanne - and thank you for running this swap. I think it'll be fun.

I do like your setup Heidi - I might have to try something similar to that for my seeds this spring.

We're expecting warm weather this weekend - warm for us is in the 50s though. Still - it's much warmer than usual, and the snow is all melting.

Mandy

o

Today's Bingo word is: WINTERBERRY

We have a misty morning here. We need rain, but will be getting a load of hay for the horse later this morning, so I am saying, "No rain today!"

Jeanne

o

Heavy rain overnight. I am not a fan of the cold weather but I prefer it stay cold then get warm in January like it is doing right now. We are going up to the sixties tomorrow and fifties today. Then on Sunday we dip way down again.

Has everyone been able to avoid the flu in their household? I got my flu shot so keeping my fingers crossed as it takes two weeks to take hold. My 24 year old daughter had it a week ago and is still dealing with the cough and tiredness. One of our two college kids got it and I am praying my daughter gets it like she promised but that was on Sunday and she hasn't gotten it yet. The supplies are running low and the virus is really running rampant here in Ohio.

I actually have all my items for the swap and will do up the box on Sunday. I am leaving shortly to go to a Bed and Breakfast with my husband. It is a gift from our oldest son for Christmas.

Hope you all have a good weekend. Margo

o

The Bingo word for today is: SNOW PUFF

No flu here at our house, Margo, and I hope it stays that way. My husband and I went to get our flu shots early in the fall. I must admit I try to stay away from crowds at this time of the year.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. I helped my husband unload hay yesterday so I sure woke up feeling it! A few Tylenols later and a hot shower should help. Maybe I can get some more winter sowing done today. I offered to give a talk on winter sowing in mid-March so I definitely want to have something to show! (Actually I've given the talk once before so I have a PowerPoint presentation, but you know how people are, they want to see the actual plants!)

Jeanne

o

Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 12:51

Hi Everyone! Happy Saturday!

Jeanne, have you decided to keep this horse?

Happy Birthday, Margo!! Hope you're having a GREAT weekend!

Heidi, you come up with the best ideas - I'm going to try that with some of my Fuller's Teasel seeds! Is your tray in or out of the house?

Mandy, be sure to post your wintersowing jugs over on the wintersowing forum! Good luck with your jugs!!

Corrine, you are encouraging me to do more cuttings! I had really good luck with sedum, in our cuttings swap last year.

Hi Annie, Katie, Diane, Michelle, Suzanne, Kelli and Melinda - and anyone I missed!

I WSed 23 more containers today. Pansies and Petunias. It is VERY warm out there, but as Margo said earlier, it's supposed to get colder tomorrow!

One good "snow pics" day is all I ask!

Well, time for lunch and then on to making Valentines. I bought some new stamps and punches yesterday, anxious to see what I can come up with!

Have a great weekend, Everybody!
Shirley!

o

Yes, I just remembered yesterday to post my winter sowing jugs on the winter sowing thread. It's fun to watch the count go up, although I don't seem to be in the right zone to come out ahead! I planted 4 more today, but wow, Shirley you are way ahead of me.

Good idea to make some Valentine's. You know I looked and looked at Christmas time to try to buy Christmas cards made in the U.S. and there didn't seem to be any. (Guess where they all were made. I'm sure eveyone can guess this one...)

It went up into the 70's today. Just beautiful out. No decision on the horse yet because we will wait until the vet checks her out on Monday. I suspect she's a keeper. We will, however, have training to do. She is young and needs to learn more respect. I had a friend come over today to work with her a bit so maybe I could pick up some pointers.

I'll be back with a Bingo word tomorrow.

Jeanne

o

Today's Bingo word is SNOWBIRD.

I hope those who are playing Bingo are getting to check off many of their words.

I was wrong on the temeprature yesterday. It actually went up into the 80s. Wow, no snow for us!

Jeanne

o

Mandy....looking forward to sending your way!

BINGO....things are going well! Now that I have said that, I probably will not get another word for a week...LOL!

We have been having a "cold crunch" out here for several days....so unusual. We even dipped in to the 20's on a few nights. Highs during the day 40's/low 50's. It is rather refreshing but reminds me that I would not want to live in a cold climate. At least I am not winter sowing in shorts and a tank top. That just does not seem right...LOL!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

o

Every time I wintersow or see pansy I think "Shirley"! I posted my WS # of containers on a FB group and they were making fun of me! However, I have nothing on Shirley, my hero!

Good news! Some of my seeds sprouted in my seed germination tray. Yes, it's indoors. The original one I saw was 12" by 12". Mine is 15" by 6 feet! lol

The 80s? It got all the way to 3 above today out here on the plains, but it's supposed to warm a bit this week. That's okay, it has to get cold to appreciate the warmth.
Heidi

o

Hello Everyone!!! I have missed everyone, and wanted to say hi.

Thank you Jeanne for the Christmas card and homemade gift tag! What a neat way to recycle Christmas cards. It really did brighten my day!

Thank you also Shirley for the card & FOTESS magnet it's on my fridge! It cheered me up for sure!

Well I read almost 1/2 of the above posts and will go back and read the rest but wanted to post this message asap.

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes!

Rena'

o

Wow, Heidi, with a high of 3 above, I think I would have some seeds planted indoors, too.

Rena', great to hear from you. We missed you, too, and I hope you are feeling better. Drop in whenever you feel up to it.

Speaking of how people are feeling, we got a call from the vet's office yesterday and he has the flu so he can't do the pre-purchase exam on the horse today. In fact, we have to wait two weeks so my husband and I had a discussion and are buying her anyway. I'm like a kid at Christmas! The new name I decided on for her is Piper. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Our Bingo word for today is: DOUBLE ICICLE

Jeanne

o

Just want to let Michelle know her package is on it's way! Enjoy!

o

I put the envelope in the mail for Annie/canyonwind today. I hope it arrives in good shape and soon! :)

Thank you,
Mandy

o

I'm trying to post a picture of my new horse, so I hope it goes through okay. I'm still getting used to how to post pictures here.

Tomorrow is a really busy day for me so I am going to post the Bingo word for Tuesday now - it's ARCTIC BEAUTY.

It's great that some of the packages are on their way. Can't wait to here what people are sending. I am just now starting to create my package for my partner.

Have a great day tomorrow. One of the things I will do is attend a talk about the gardens at Monticello, so I'm sure it will be great!

Jeanne

o

Beautiful horse! So glad you are keeping it and will be good to it!
Love reading about things everyone is doing! I have the same oh, same oh, days around here.
Haven't started my wintersowing but fixing to this weekend. I should have started long ago!
Hope everyone has a great day!

o

Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 10:46

Cut some snowflakes yesterday with the kids at work and it came back to me. There is some talent how you fold the paper to get the pretty ones. Helps if my hands aren't freezing from being outside on the playground with them. Kids keep me young at heart!

Heidi & I exchanged some emails, so we have a plan for the swap. As soon as this cold snap ends I can dig her bee balm treasures. I love, love, love the smell & combined with spearmint makes my favorite tea aroma! Plus the deer don't touch it, so it keeps the yellow raspberries safe most of the time. The bee balm & rasp are duking it out. Raspberries survive by shooting up 2 feet away. Bee balm tromps right over the raspberries, but they still poke right through the clump. Neither want mulch over crowns, so they're good rowdy partners.

I'm not accustomed to nightly 20s and barely above freezing during the day. My car doors keep freezing shut in our moist air. Hard to get in to start it up & thaw it a bit. Most of you deal with freezing winters all the time, but I'm guessing it only occurs less than 10 times a year here. Our usual late fall though mid spring weather is 42 & rain or drizzle, but I'll take this daily sunshine any day.

I was inspired by this story to keep believing the best is ahead even when it doesn't seem like it. Here's hoping it encourages you, too.

Did you hear about the farmer who had a brilliant dog? He also had a neighbor who was negative - no matter what.
If it was raining, the farmer would say to his neighbor, "Boy, look at it rain. God's washing everything clean."
The neighbor said, "Yeah, but if this rain keeps up, it's going to flood." Then the sun would come out and the neighbor would say, "If it keeps that up, it's going to burn the crops."
The farmer thought, "What am I going to do with this guy?" He made a plan. The farmer trained his dog to walk on water. He didn't tell his neighbor - just took him duck hunting. Boom! Boom! They got two ducks. The farmer said to his dog, "Go get 'em." The dog sprinted across the water, picked up the ducks and hopped back in the boat, nothing wet, just his paws.
With a confident smile, the farmer asked his doubting neighbor, "What do you think of that?"
The neighbor quickly replied, "He can't swim, can he?"

Love your positive attitudes FOTESS friends. Let's keep teaching our dogs to walk on water. You're the best!

Corrine

o

Mandy, my very simple bubbler for you is headed out today!

Rena', so good to hear from you!

Jeanne, I love the name you chose "Piper"....Enjoy your new family member!

Corrine, good story!!! Great point!!!

Happy Tuesday. Stay warm!

Annie

o

My box is going out to Suzanne tomorrow. It shouldn't take too long to get there since we both live in Ohio. However, with the way the post office here has been, we shall see.

Margo

o

The Bingo word for today is: GREEN ICE

Our garden group had Peter Hatch here to give a talk last evening. It was about the gardens at Monticello. He spent 35 years there restoring the gardens to how they would have been when Jefferson lived there and has recently written a book about it. I already knew that Thomas Jefferson was a gardener, trying all kinds of plants and keeping records of when things were planted, when they bloomed, etc. It has been a long, long time since I went to Monticello, but it's a beautiful place!

My quilt guild meeting and program earlier in the day yesterday were excellent, too, so I definitely had a nice day.

On the agenda today: oil change for my car, and hopefully stop to buy printer ink, and a new graden hose - and spend some time cleaning house. It looks like there will be some rain so we'll have to see if Piper can get a lesson sometime during the day, too. She got the day off yesterday.

Jeanne

o

Bingo word for today: FIRE 'N ICE

Kelli, I may not get your package mailed until the 19th. I had hoped to get it out sooner, but this week seems to be the week that all my meetings take place so it has been hectic. You know I have started working on it - just want to add another thing or two. I had one thing in particular in mind and can't find that, so on to the next option.

Jeanne

o

Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 12:00

Thought you'd get a kick out of what my hubby did last night -- ran a snow maker machine all night long because at 25 degrees the temp was right for snowmaking! The machine uses a pressure washer & air compressor, so it's a noisy thing.

He slept in his tent near it & refueled at 2:45am. He came home briefly this morning and said he was fine except his feet were cold. What dedication after skiing all day. All so the campers could have S N O W much fun! He's a kid at heart & when they're back from school this afternoon will be right there in that snow mound with them.

Our weather has freezing nights, but sunshine every day for the next week still. Amazing that we have no rain or snow in the forecast until the 23rd.

Tomorrow is another ski day for our son. This week he's already spent 2 days on the mountain skiing one day & snowshoeing the other. Today he's working at a farm with a friend. He joked that this is a lot more fun than a fitness club! Fortunately, he's a night owl, so he is still keeping up with his business orders. He sells conductive thread among other things. Oh, to be 18 again...

Corrine

o

Jeanne, No worries. I feel like I have had a similar week. One son at the doctors, whooping cough at 16, crazy. The other son has wrestling meets. And, work hours have changed a little. Time has just escaped me. I will have my package out Saturday as well. Thanks

By the way, I wanted to say congrats to the new four legged member of your family. She is beautiful. I had horses as a teenager and had always hoped to get to a point in my life to have one again, but just not there yet. So I have an indoor horse, lol. My dog Brutus is a English Mastiff. Anyway, enjoy they are so much fun.

Kelli

o

Jeanne, Piper is beautiful and I am glad she worked out for you.

I sent my package this morning so it is on the way.

Margo

o

hello
I got a nice fat squishy in the mail box today.
she sent me....
a bar of white lindor chocolate
a giant glittery snowflake
pink and purple snowflake socks(love them)
a snowflake note pad
2 snow white dish towels(I might crochet the tops of these)
a 2 year planner
and SEEDS!!!..
shastas snow angel
cucumber white wonder
gypsophilia white
allysum carpet of snow
zinnia polar bear

thanks bunches, your envie is on its way.
michelle

o

Yeah! Glad to see my package arrived ok. I had fun finding snowflake things, glad you liked it! Melinda

o

Corrine,
What a fun husband! I can just imagine him making snow. I sent part I in the mail. I got so excited I forgot about part II until today. I tried making it once, but it didn't work. I'm going to try it again tonight--

Love the photo of the horse and a great name.
Heidi

o

So nice to hear from so many of you. Michelle, what a great package you received. I'm sure everyone is having fun working on snowflakes. You know I tried to cut some out the other day and remember how nice they looked when we cut them as kids and mine looked terrible. I guess I've lost the knack.

Thanks for the compliments on Piper. She is not as well behaved as I had hoped so we may have to send her to a professional trainer for a bit. Horses are too big for me to contend with bad behavior. My husband has been helpng me with her, but she is bigger than both of us combined.
Wow, Kelli, if you have a Mastiff, you almost have a horse!

Talk with everyone tomorrow.

Jeanne

o

Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 22:50

Jeanne, That's a great photo of your new horse. Piper is a beauty! This weekend I'm going to visit my dad, who still has the mare I used to barrel race and trail ride on >20 years ago. She is 33 years old!

Dianne, I dropped your package in the mail today! I hope you don't mind that I kept it simple.

Katie

o

I'll be looking for it Katie and "simple" is great! I'm a simple kinda chick anyways lol ...also sent you an email...hope you got it...stay warm, Dianne

Jeanne---I'm not a big horse person but Piper is beautiful and looks like the kind of horse you could just nuzzle up against and love on lol...altho horses aren't my cup of tea I do love animals of just about all kinds and love them extra lots if i can snuggle or nuzzle them hahahhaha...if i believed in reincarnation i think i'd come back as an animal, altho i've heard it said that in reincarnation you never come back as "less" than you were in the past life...well who's to say animals are "less" hahaha...i know i'm being goofy :)

o

The temperature sure dropped here. You should have seen me all bundled up to walk to the barn this morning. It's 34 right now and we had been up into the 80's. Yesterday was our "transition day" with lots of rain. My husband and I both had a good laugh at Piper yesterday morning. We went to the barn with umbrellas and you would have thought a space ship arrived from Mars. I really don't think she had ever seen an umbrella before and there were TWO. Even after her food was in her stall, she didn't want to come any closer than 30 feet.

Maybe it will be a good day for winter sowing today. I don't have many jugs planted yet.

The Bingo word is: SNOWMOBILE

Jeanne

o

Good Morning FOTESSERS,

I received a lovely snowflake package yesterday from Miss Mandy aka l1oness.

Mandy sent....

* a lovely note written while she was watching the snow fall out her window.

*a paper snowflake and snowflake card

*a very cute little snowman...when you pull the top clip it opens and closes its arms.

*Blue snowflake ornament

*Black Snowflake pendant and stud earrings

*seeds.....
*Garlic Chives
*Alyssum Tiny Tim
*Tomato Snow White Cherry
*Baby's Breath

Mandy, you covered "Snowflake" better than I ever could...LOL! Thanks so much!!!!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 17:54

Flung a no-melt snowflake(s) swap package in the east wind over to Heidi. Here's hoping it lands okay.

Dense fog has lifted, but it's still foggy and now up to 32 degrees. If only it would snow & cover up all the brown & green. :o) I love a snowy landscape and how it brightens up the evening views!

I have 6 bingo words, but thinking that isn't much since there were 12 more words given out.

We're leaving for a quick trip for Whidbey Island(James' parents' summer home) & returning late Saturday night. We'll pick up our son's friend on the way & hopefully get on a ferry by 9pm otherwise the next one is at 10pm. The boys are night owls, so won't mind, but hubby & I want to be in bed before 11pm. It's hard for the teen boys to understand not being able to sleep in.

One neighbor turns the heat on for us, so it will be warm when we arrive. Yeah!

We're bringing groceries from Costco up to another neighbor who has been recovering from some health conditions and her husband was hospitalized last weekend. We're bringing foods they requested (milk, boneless chicken & fudgsicles). I sure wish we were living up there to be consistent help. Her husband can't over do it & needs heart surgery soon.

She's a kindred spirit gardener, so we've helped her move some shrubs and taken divisions of perennials she no longer wants to maintain. I am always on the lookout for her favorites peonies, oriental poppies & delphiniums so I can bring her something new. She has water lilies, so later on we'll get the pond liner & whiskey barrel set up for some of our own. Can you tell I'm excited about our visit?

Have a great weekend!

Corrine

o

I received a full bubble envelope today from Annie (Canyonwind) - it was a perfect way to start the weekend!

It had a cute card covered with snowflakes - they were glittery and fun!

She included vanilla sugar (which made everything smell great!), white post-it notes (I use those daily), and lots of "snow" like seeds/plants.

The "snow" seed stack included a great variety of stuff!
Paris White Cos Romaine Lettuce
Echinacea Double White
Crazy Daisy
White Wonder Tomato
White Lavatera
4'oclocks (white w/yellow)
White Libson onion
Shasta Snow Lady

There was also a tin with yummy white mints from France.
Annie - where did you get them? They remind me of ones my great grandfather sent me from France when I was little. It took me down memory lane.

Annie also sent me some seed baggies (I always need those!)
and lots of other misc seeds, which I am super excited about. There are so many that I've wanted to try! There are so many, I won't list them all, but some of them include Rose Champion Pink, Angel's Trumpet, different types of
pickling cucumbers, big bell peppers, straightneck squash, poppies, columbine, Sunburst Coreopsis, several different kinds of tomato, hibiscus, cabbage, lettuce and greens mixes, eggplant, and more!

Thank you so very much Annie! It was a great package of surprises. :)

o

Later in the day I'll put together a list of who has sent and received. The swap packages that have been received are wonderful and creative and I'm sure everyone is pleased.

For now, here's the Bingo word: SKIING

No snow skiing going on here... but I'll bet I could do it at Corrine's place. Her husband is a real trooper to sleep in a tent at night and make snow for the campers!

Talk later.
Jeanne

o

Yesterday I received a snowflake box from Margo. In it was a cute Ty baby beenie penguin, a crystal snowflake ornament and seeds: White Pearl lathyrus, California poppy White Linen, Texas White Star Hibiscus, Snow Lady shasta daisy, Echinacea White Swan, cucumber White Wonder, white current tomato and White Moon Flower. Also a peppermint Bark Yankee Candle. Smells so good! Thanks Margo!!! I will put it all to good use and your package is on its way conformation #03121430000189326249

o

Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 11:25

Hi Everyone!
Wow!! There is some really great "snow" falling around this swap! The packages all sound so nice! Good job, Ladies!

But I'm wondering, Has anyone had the "real thing" yet? It almost seems like this winter is going to be a repeat of last year. It was VERY cold, earlier in the week, but today it's a beautiful, sunshiny day, in SE Michigan. Kind of a bummer. Yes, I'm still waiting on my one good snow day!

My granddaughters are coming for the weekend and we have some WSing planned! I'll try to get some good pics to share.

Have a great weekend!
Shirley!

o

Corinne,
Just under the wire...Snowflake #2 is coming!
9405 5036 9930 0289 6818 38

Heidi

o

Wow, so many wonderful packages being sent and received!
Kelli, I mailed my swap package to you a bit earlier when I went into town. Post office holiday on Monday so I don't know how quickly it will move along.

Here's what we have reported:

Jeanne has sent to Kelli.
Margo has sent to Suzanne and it was received.
Katie has sent to Dianne.
Melinda has sent to Michelle and it was received.
Heidi has sent to Corrine.
Corrine has sent to Heidi.
Annie has sent to Mandy and it was received.
Mandy has sent to Annie and it was received.

Remember to post when you mail and when you receive.
I'll be back with a Bingo word tomorrow. You can see why I started the game early in the month. It takes awhile to get a winner!

Jeanne

o

We're expecting 4 - 8 inches of snow starting tonight, and over the next 3 days here in SW Michigan.

Everyone's packages look great!

Mandy

o

Mandy, lucky you. Snow!!!! Where in Michigan are you? We lived in Kalamazoo for three years after migrating from the Detroit area. Now we are in Ohio.

Suzanne, glad you enjoyed your package. I love the candle smell too and burn mine even after the holidays.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. All we are expecting here is frigid temps. Brrrrrr Bring on the spring.

Margo

o

Jeanne,

Snow is coming your way!!! Ok, if only just in a box. Have a great weekend everyone.

Kelli

o

Did anyone else notice I had an extra "S" in the word FOTESS at the beginning of the swap? I'll have to type more carefully next time. LOL

I wasn't going to post again today, but on the way up from the barn I went to check on my winter sowing jugs. Half have already sprouted! I was so excited. The microgreens are almost large enough to start picking some of them. Wow, things are sure moving along fast. I think I'll try to plant a few more tomorrow.

Thanks for sending some snow, Kelli. We definitely had frost last night. I think the temperatres will be all up and down for us this winter. That's what I like about winter sowing - it doesn't care.

Okay, I'm going to look through my seeds and decide on some to plant tomorrow.

Jeanne

o

Wow I got "snow" here today even though the weather was warm and beautiful in the 60's!
I rec'd my package from Michelle and opened it and out came glitter and blue snowflakes all over! LOL!!
She sent a wonderful handmade fleece scarf, green in color with white snowflakes on it! I love it! I wear lots of scarfs! Also a wonderful homemade card and these seeds:
Big Mama hosta
polka dot bachelor buttons
dipper gourd
snow peas
bee balm
pacific beauty calendula
double mix bachelor buttons
shasta daisy alaska
rocket larkspur
Thank you so very much! I enjoyed it tremendously!

o

The Bingo word for today is ICE.

o

No snow on the ground but the wind is awful. Wind advisories in the area. They say snow overnight and we are taking our son back to college tomorrow which will be a three and a half hour drive south. The temp high for tomorrow will be 21 and the rest of the week not much better.

Was just tracing back to the Bingo words that I missed this week as my list was not handy when I was doing posts. I was able to cross off two more but not doing very well. I have half my words crossed off.

Have a good Sunday. Margo

o

I live about 20 minutes West of Kalamazoo. I live close enough to Lake Michigan that we end up with lake effect snow. Today we've already gotten 2 - 3 inches, and they are predicting 8 - 12 inches to arrive by Tuesday afternoon. It's the first big snow we've had so far.

Mandy

o

Today's Bingo work is ICEBERG.

I hope everyone has a good day. A rather special day with the Inauguration and MLK Day combined - I need to find some TV time to watch some of the coverage.

Jeanne

o

Southern AL snow will be going out to Katie this week...I sent Katie an email explaining the situation but wanted to post here so noone would get confused and think I disappeared and forgot...hope all had a good weekend and are having a good holiday today...kids out of school, hubby out of work for the day...so we're working on the house and tryin to clean a bit and get ready for spring...i so can't wait...been wanting to plant stuff and the weather is so wishy washy not sure what to do lol

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 20:29

Yay, snow!

I've been meaning to post this picture since I took it, but I've been a slacker (actually, I've been busy & then out of town). We got 2" of snow last Thursday!! YAY!! Jeanne, your FOTESS swap must have conjured this up for me. :)

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 21:28

Thank you, Heidi, for red and gold glittered raised snowflakes with homemade full color seed packets. Thanks for sending some delightful seeds that I will be sure to winter sow (except for the tropical Datura).
sweet pea Wedding Blush
brown-eyed Susan Cherry Brandy
Datura Innocence
Monarda Marshall's Delight
Shasta daisy

You said this was part 1, but you don't need to send a part 2. Did you make the green envelope? It's too pretty to throw away, so I'll use it to sort some seed packets for planting. Heidi, you have lovely handwriting!

No precipitation for over 2 weeks. Can you believe I actually had to water a mixed planter on the porch? The pansies were drooping and since the pansies off the porch were fine it was not the cold. I couldn't see any whiteflies, so just watered it. If it isn't perky tomorrow I'll take it inside to spray off in the shower.

Our daily highs are 33 and lows are 25 with dense fog. A storm is coming & they say rain, but I vote for snow!

Today I celebrated my day off by shopping at a thrift store's 50% off sale. On Thursday I was there & saw things I wanted, but passed on them until the sale. They had sold some, but I still found 2 rabbit bottle waterers (for the camp's petting zoo bunnies) & some neutral tones of new aquarium gravel for dressing up succulent pots (for hubby) and improving drainage during our 9 months of cold rain.

Corrine

o

Cute snow picture! I did some house cleaning yesterday. There sure is more to get done. I finally moved the boxes with the Christmas decorations into the attic.

Here's our Bingo word for today: HOLLY

I hope someone gets Bingo before the end of the week. I know those who are playing are ready for a win!

Jeanne

o

Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 9:00

I finally went through the BINGO words that have been called, and I have 8 words so far. This is the list of what I *think* has been called. Hope I didn’t miss one.

WINTER SOWING
CHRISTMAS ROSE
ICE PLANT
FULL MOON
SNOWDROPS
PINE
SNOW
WINTERBERRY
SNOW PUFF
SNOWBIRD
DOUBLE ICICLE
ARCTIC BEAUTY
GREEN ICE
FIRE 'N ICE
SNOWMOBILE
SKIING
ICE
ICEBERG
HOLLY

o

Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 11:44

I've been playing bingo and have 8 words, so no bingo for me this week.

Still frosty 23 degrees and foggy here. The frosted trees look especially lovely this morning. I don't yet hear or see the birds out from their overnight perches. Our weather is hard to predict with the mountains and the Puget Sound so close. Supposedly warmer weather is coming, but we'll still have overnight freezing. We have a 4-H meeting tonight, so I hope it's not icy.

o

Happy Tuesday!

Mandy, sending you an email.

Katie, I show the same BINGO words have been chosen. Good luck to all!

It has finally warmed up around here....80's today...absoloutley beautiful outside. December and the first 2 weeks of January were rather chilly. When night time lows dip in to the 20's that is chilly for us. Another cold front is moving in later in the week but no snowflakes will be falling around here. We get snow every 3 years but it never lasts long. I always welcome raindrops!

I need to get outside and water my wintersown jugs!

Wonderful "Snowflake" packages.....

Annie

o

Mandy, I sent you an email via GW as you do not have an email address listed. Let me know if you do not receive. Send me you email address.

Annie

o

Thank you Katie, I found a Bingo word I missed so now I only need five more. You have helped me twice today.

I tried to post a pic of my family at the wedding this past June but it said it was too big. Will try something else later.

Received a nice bubbly today from Suzanne. It contained a pretty pair of snowflake earrings which I will wear to work tomorrow. Also included were the following seeds.

snowdrift marigold
snow puff cosmos
sensation white cosmos
thyme
baby's breath
stallion white cucumber
white spine cucumber
lemon chiffon sunflower
Cheyenne spirit echinacea
amber wheels gaillardia

Love my snowflake package and thanks Suzanne.

o

Thank you Corrine! I loved your package! It's so pretty and so much fun. No snow here...darn!
 photo Snowswap012013_zps760317dd.jpg
Blue/white snowflake towels (I love towels!!!)
snowflake napkins
plush snowman ornament
snowman ornament that says "You are special"
A big card with seeds taped inside and she circled the letters S-N-O-W!
Clary Sage
Micandra phycalades Shoofly or Apples of Peru
Okra clemson spineless heriloom
Wild Sweet William
Jacob Cline Monarda
Astilbe (yeah! I covet these! I can't wait to see if I can grow some. Another way to grow my patience, too!)
I love it all. So creative and fun. It's funny, I looked all over for snowflake items like the ones you sent--the blue and white colors are great. I couldn't find any around here, but I love them! Thank you!

o

More great packages being received! I'll update our list tomorrow. I was feeling a bit under the weather today, but I looked over the Bingo words that were listed as "chosen" and the list is right. It looks like it might take all month to get a winner, but we'll get there!
See eveyone tomorrow.
Jeanne

o

Our Bingo word for today is: BOOTS

It's cold here. 36 degrees outside right now.

Let me get caught up on our list of who has sent and who has received.

Jeanne has sent to Kelli.
Kelli has sent to Jeanne.
Margo has sent to Suzanne and it was received.
Suzanne has sent to Margo and it was received.
Katie has sent to Dianne.
Dianne has sent to Katie.
Melinda has sent to Michelle and it was received.
Michelle has sent to Melinda and it was received.
Heidi has sent to Corrine and it was received.
Corrine has sent to Heidi and it was received.
Annie has sent to Mandy and it was received.
Mandy has sent to Annie and it was received.

I think that catches us up on the list. I'll bet some swaps will be received today. The holiday on Monday will have slowed down the mail a bit.

Jeanne

o

Four more for me!!!!!!!!

o

Jeanne, package arrived. Thank you so much. I received so great SNOW stuff,
Chocolate snowman
Snowman Kleenex sleeve
Fun Winter Wonderland word search
Beautiful winter scene card and recipe
'Ice Ballet' Asclepias seeds
So much fun...

I hope you receive yours in the next day or so.
Kelli

o

So glad your swap arrived, Kelli. I must admit that when I set up this swap I thought the stores would have lots of winter themed items in them... and those winter things must have flown off the shelves the day after Christmas because the stores all had their Valentine's things out by January. A disappointment, but I think we are all receiving great packages nonetheless.

Today's Bingo word is: BLACK ICE

Jeanne

o

And now I need 3!!!!

No worry Jeanne as far as my package goes, I loved it. From the sounds of it, everyone enjoyed there packages.

Margo

o

Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 11:16

Heidi sent me a 2nd package with 2 colorful kitchen towels, 2 homemade plant markers, and vinyl window clings with snowflakes and polar bears. Now, I can see snowflakes every day if I want.

Thank you Heidi for sharing your creativity. Are the plant markers waterproof for outdoors or for indoor pots only?

Corrine

o

The plant markers are made out of sculpey clay and baked so they are supposed to be weatherproof. I forgot to stick them in the package because they were in the kitchen! But I had fun putting together a few more snow things. I needed something for padding and I couldn't find any more snowflake towels and they just put out the flower ones so I scooped them up!
You know, pictures in magazines are so cute and I wanted to make these so bad! They make playdough look so easy. I remember why I gave up playdough! My brain is TRYING to tell my fingers what I want, but the message doesn't compute. lol I had fun, though, and I hope you enjoy them. I could imagine them peeking out from a plant at camp.

o

We went from an extremely beautiful day yesterday - sunny and warm enough not to need any kind of coat or sweater - to 29 degrees this morning. Brrr! We had lots of wind last night, but that has died down now - I guess it finished blowing in the cold air that was coming this way.

The Bingo word for today is: WHITE WEDDING

Have a great day. I did a little winter sowing yesterday, but none of that for me today - I am going to stay indoors other than at horse feeding time. There's plenty I need to do indoors.

Jeanne

o

Your swap package hasn't arrived yet, Kelli. I thought for sure it would show up today because it finally stayed cold enough for snow. A bit farther north got sleet and freezing rain.

Anyway, a "Heads Up" - beginning tomorrow I will start drawing two Bingo words a day so we can wrap this game up. If there is a tie and two (or more) people get Bingo on the same day, I'll draw for a winner. It shouldn't take much longer with two words a day.

You've probably noticed, the February Swap has been posted and it's a great one. Stop by to check it out!

Jeanne

o

If you read the post above, you'll see I am picking two Bingo words a day so we can finish up the game. Today's words are:

SNOWY MOUNTAIN
PEPPERMINT STICK

I'll wait until the end of the day to declare the winner in case two people have Bingo. If you have Bingo, let's hear from you!

Jeanne

o

Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 9:46

Hi Everyone!
Jeanne, what a great SNOW swap! Lots of nice packages sent and received!

We FINALLY got some appreciable snowfall here in SE Michigan; and I'm recovering from a cold and/or a sinus infection, so I still haven't been able to get a decent snow pic-go figger! Maybe tomorrow, if the temps rise!

Had a great weekend with my granddaughters, we wintersowed 15 containers! Rue, Rudbeckia and some others. Our little two year old was so happy to be included! She imitated every move Tabs and I made, really cute!

Well, like Jeanne said, Heidi has posted the Feb. FOTESS swap and I'm headed over there to join in! Hope to see ya all over there!
Shirley!

o

Watching for BINGO...three words to go!

The rain has been falling...so lovely. My Winter vegetables are so happy!!!!

Happy weekend to all!

Annie

o

I only need two more so maybe Jeanne will post them both tomorrow and I can put an end to the suspense. LOL

Not as cold today but still cold. They are calling for wintry crud overnight tomorrow which includes the ICE word before a warm up turns it to rain. Hubby goes to work at 3:30 am and has a half an hour drive to work so concerned about that. I told him he needs to leave a little earlier to be safe. Tuesday and Wednesday, we will be in the 50's. It is crazy Ohio weather.

Will check for my winning words tomorrow. Margo

o

We are getting that same crazy weather, Margo, just up and down several times a week.

Someone should have Bingo today. After I post these two words there are only 4 more folded up pieces of paper in my bowl.

SNOWBALL
SNOW LADY

I'll be waiting to hear Bingo later in the day. I should look at the Bingo lists that you sent. Wouldn't it be something if everyone has Bingo today? Oh, well, in the event of a tie, I will draw a name for the prize.

Stay warm and stay well everyone!
Jeanne

o

Sorry about duplicate postings. It looked like the message was not going through.

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 9:14

o

Here it was again... love the new edit feature!

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 9:15

o

No BINGO for me...one word to go. I am anticipating Margo to call BINGO any minute now!!!

Annie

o

No Bingo for me yet but only need one more. I saw a city truck out spreading the magic liquid on the roads in preparation for the ice that is due. This is one time I am truly hoping they have called wrong because I hate ice.

Is anyone going to call "BINGO" today? Margo

o

I don't have BINGO yet... one more word is missing on my list too. Everyone is getting close! :)

Mandy

o

Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 22:03

I forgot to mention the white lifesavers that were the filling in the box with minty aroma. Too many to count. Thanks, Heidi!

It's a lot warmer than last week, so I was outside in the garden Fri. & Sat. afternoon. Picked up milk jugs from Starbucks and asked if I could get more out of the dumpster, so prepped 29 jugs for the 4-H workshop next weekend with help from my son while we watched TV.

While outside I poked around a bit more where it wasn't frozen. Did some trimming of mushy leaves & snipped them up to drop in place as mulch. Used a scissor on Japanese iris leaves, but probably should have had a sharper one. Thinking if I didn't have pruners I wouldn't work too hard! Moved some pots around for winter display including the primrose to the front porch now even though they're not in bloom. Hopefully, they'll enjoy the break from the cold rain & put on a show by Easter since it's early this year.

Some body is going to win & probably not me since I still have 3 words left. It is fun just to play.

Corrine

o

No BINGO yet....only 2 more. Hopefully tomorrow.

Jeanne, I hope it gets to you. I even sent priority feeling bad that it was running late.

o

Bingo words --- someone has to have Bingo today! If there are multiple winners, I will draw a name because at this point, I think more than one will yell Bingo.

Today's words are:
FROST
POLAR STAR

Kelli, I have been watching for your package in case the mail carrier left it in an odd place. I'll let you know as soon as it gets here. So sorry it is taking so long - I know that's hard on the sender. Sometimes mail just seems to take forever but then it shows up.

Have a good day.
Jeanne

o

I've checked and rechecked to make sure I did not miss the last word I need to win but it has not been called. It's not in today's two either. :(

If someone is a winner today, congrats to them. Margo

o

Sorry I haven't been very active or talkative on here lately...yesterday I got out in the yard and actually had time to get things done with some of my plants...it felt so good to get my hands in the dirt and the weather was perfect!!!...hubby wanted for me to wait til he brings a tiller home that he's borrowing from a friend but i insisted i do it the hard way and use a hoe and shovel for the big parts and a mini hand shovel and my hands for the rest lol...I have most of my front and side yard planted with my flowers and bushes where i want them now and potted up a few plants to take to the spring plant swaps if they make it or i don't decide to put them in the back yard...now i need to weedeat and mulch the front and it will be ready to go- minus some seeds i'm gonna sow when it's closer to time to get them in the ground straight out...

when income taxes come in we're planning on building a front porch...that's where Katie's snowflakes come in lol...she sent me some oakleaf hydrangea seeds and I'm planning on putting a bush at the corner of the porch or maybe put a bush on each side of the steps or walkway...the more i think about it i may make a hedgerow with them...Katie also sent me some Burt's Bees cuticle cream...love it!!! ...it's one of those things i always think bout picking up but never spend the money on for myself...I recieved Katie's snowflakes the middle of last week and am so sorry I just now got around to posting it...

*HUGS* Katie...thank you so much :)

Hope all you ladies had a wonderful weekend...I hate to rush time away but I can't wait til spring lol...i'm getting spring fever already

o

Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 9:24

Heh, I still don't have bingo, even after today's words. I still need to more words (no doubt the last 2 words to be called). Somebody MUST have it today. Otherwise, we'll all be yelling bingo tomorrow. Could it be that we are ALL waiting on the same word?!

I've been busy winter sowing. I got many things sown these last couple of weeks, but there are still more seeds to go. All natives :) I need to compile a list, but some of my favorites are some seeds of the Franklinia. DH and I also erected my new "temp" greenhouse. I think of it more as a cold frame because its not heated; but it will give me a real jump start on germinating seeds this year that don't need sny kind of stratification.

Last year I tried a new seed starter medium: an organic ready-to-use mix made of coconut coir with some perlite. I liked it so much that this year I bought compressed bricks of coconut coir to mix up my own seed starter. The coconut coir is renewable (a byproduct of the coconut industry), more easily wettable than peat, and also seems to have some anti-fungal properties.

Dianne, glad to hear you enjoyed your snowflake package. Isn't the Burt's Bees cuticle cream wonderful?! I can't live without it. And you should have enough of those dust-like hydrangea seeds to fill the neighborhood! I planted some seeds of it yesterday, too, and stuck it in the greenhouse. Not only are the flowers beautiful, but its seedheads and bark are lovely in the winter, too!

o

BINGO....FROST put me over the top. Who else has BINGO...not Margo, not Katie...possibly Mandy, possibly Kelli??????? Maybe it is a three way tie...LOL!

Woke up this morning to WHITE outside....My husband runs up stairs, "Annie, Annie it snowed"...I ventured outside, "HHHMMM, no dear, it is hail". But it is everywhere. I am quite sure he went to work and told anyone who would listen that we had a major snowstorm overnight...he loves to exagerrate!!! I better go check my winter sown sprouted tomatoes. Hopefully they are OK! Tomatoes and 34 degrees..I don't know! I cover them or put them in the shed if I think it will be that cold but I did not last night.

Happy Monday!

Annie

And now it is Tuesday morning and this thread is full....Thanks Jeanne for hosting a fun January full of SNOWFLAKES. The FOTESSERS are clever ladies! Great group!!

This post was edited by canyonwind on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 11:22

o

Congrats Annie,

I didn't have BINGO...not the words I needed.

Happy Monday

Kelli

o

Congratulations Annie! Do hope your wintersown tomatoes are still ok!
I thoroughly enjoyed this swap! Thanks Jeanne for hosting and allowing me to participate. A great bunch of ladies!
Melinda

o

Congrats Annie! No BINGO for me - they were the wrong words for my card. I had a fun time this month - thank you!

Mandy

o

Thankful to hear someone call Bingo! Annie, I will give another person a chance to call Bingo until the end of the day in case they have not been able to get online at this point, but if I don't hear from anyone you are the winner. I had no idea we could be down to just 2 more words to be drawn at this point and so many people still needed those two words - or at least one of them! Wow, this was a long Bingo game.

Kelli, I'm so happy to report your package showed up in today's mail! It makes you wonder what they do with Priority Mail though; doesn't it? There's no indication it went somewhere else or had a problem of any kind. It's a wonderful package. I smiled when I saw the Sno-Caps. I wanted to get those to put in your package because they seemed perfect for the swap theme and I went to 3 stores and couldn't find them. Anyway, I love Sno-Caps! Kelli also send a pretty note, a journal which is great for recording garden events, and a pair of red gloves. You know I may try putting on hand cream and wearing them in the evening. My hands get so dry in the winter. Kelli also sent 4 packs of seeds Nicotiana Woodland, Echinacea Pow Wow (white), Rose Mallow (white), and Winter Thyme. What great names and I will enjoy all of them. Thanks so much for everything.

I will check later to see if this completes our January swap. With the new horse arriving this month, I feel like I have not been on top of things as much as I like so sorry about that but I'm so glad that you enjoyed the swap. I enjoyed this theme, too.

We took my new horse, Piper, to the vet for shots, etc. today and she would not get back on the trailer. I guess she liked it there. (Ha! Ha!) Anyway, I think we were there over 2 hours trying to get her to load back on the trailer. My husband finally had to detach the truck and drive home to get some grain to lure her back on. (Whew, it would have been getting dark in about an hour and the vet's office was trying to close down. Piper has a mind of her own on some things and we are working to get her less "opinionated". As my friend explains a 5 year old horse is kind of like a teenage child. Someone should have sent her to her room or make her stand in a corner to get her to behave long before this! LOL

Okay, I rambled long enough. Talk with everyone later - and if I am too worn out from my vet experience, I'll be back tomorrow morning.

Jeanne

o

Silly me - I finally realized I could look at what the last two words are and check the Bingo lists and Annie is our winner! Congratulations, Annie! It was a long and hard battle.

...and if it read all the posts correctly, I think all of the swaps have been sent and received! Thanks for making this such a great month. FOTESS has some wonderful members and I have lots of fun sharing seeds, books, ideas, and life experiences with everyone here.

Enjoying some Sno-Caps as I type... so off to enjoy more snow,
Jeanne

o

Congratulations Annie!!!!! That was an exciting Bingo.

Thank you Jeanne for the great swap. I know I had a lot of fun.

Margo

o

Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 20:06

Congrats to Annie!! You can sure pick them!

I got my package from Dianne this evening! She sent some cute snowflake stickers, snowman gift tags, some amazing smelling homemade bath salts (and the recipe! whoohoo!), a snow scene tin, and seeds of white portulaca and baby's breath. Thank you so much!! And I loved your letter! Writing letters seems to be a lost art these days, and I do miss it.

Jeanne, I had a friend in college that qualified for barrel racing in the Dixie Nationals. When she was up early the first morning of the show to load up and head south, her horse refused to go in the trailer, causing her to miss the first day and was disqualified! She spent the next few weeks with her horse trailer parked in an arena with her horse, and would only feed her mare her grain inside the horse trailer!

Thanks ladies, for another great FOTESS swap. Thanks Dianne, for being a great partner and all your gifts. And especially thanks to Jeanne for being a great host!

o

Annie, congradulations on winning BINGO! It was fun and gave me something to look forward to. Only missed it by one word Northern Lights. Think most f us were getting close. Thanks Jeanne for the swap and game, it was fun!

Suzanne

o

Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 10:14

Congrates Annie on Bingo AND your winter sown tomatoes!

Corrine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here