Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: obf december swap - kiss

sandlapper_rose
14 years ago

This is a continuation of the December Swap (KISS) for Our Bloomin' Friends.

I'll be back tomorrow to update our list.

Jeanne

Comments (57)

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! I guess everyone IS busy with Christmas plans.

Melinda I mailed out your KISS box today. Unfortunately I forgot to get a delivery confirmation.

I do have the receipt. But yours was in a group of 10 priority mail boxes and 68 Christmas cards. Thank heavens I don't have to do that every month!!

Hope everyone stays warm and dry...
    talk to you soon!
    vina

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Oh, don't worry Vina! I am sure it will be here just fine! I do know what you mean about cards and gifts!! But oh so much fun to get something besides a bill!
    Have a great day everyone! Melinda

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Ho Ho Ho Everyone!

I am not terribly busy, been feeling less than wonderful, still battling these colds here! GRRRRR Perfect timing for a winter cold

Hope you are all enjoying the holiday 'prep'

Vina
    Glad you enjoyed the Spiced Cocoa, easy to make!

1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 c. sugar (or equiv sucre substitute)
    Pinch of salt
    1/4 c. water
    4 cups of Milk
    1 tsp cinamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

Bring dry ingredients and water to a gentle boil
    Reduce heat and stir in milk
    Warm through (do not allow milk to boil)
    Serve

4 - 6 cups (depends on cup size)

Optional toppings

Mini Marshmallows or

dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinamon

have a great evening everyone!

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Jeanne the package reaally is in the mail now. Here is the DC#03083390000102872130
    Wedding wet very well in spite of very heavy rain.
    More later

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Margo, sorry I forgot to list the two handmade bracelets you sent, I rushed them to my jewlery box and forgot them in my post. I love them thankyou they are beautiful. so sorry I missed them in my post. Sue your box finally went out confirmation # 03083390000145234612. hope you like your box. hugs to all carol

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just want to say that I will post an updated list tomorrow of who has received. I wanted to give people a chance to list things that may have arrived today.
    Off to bed soon for me!
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Shirley....I received your "KISS"............

Your Christmas "KISS" to me is wonderful............

Enlcosed....
    ****a beautiful card....and lovely words!
    ****a bear photo holder...cute...cute...cute
    ****a sled ornament with pinecones and holly and it says MERRY CHRISTMAS...I love anything that says MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    ****Werthers Caramel Dark Chocolates...guess who found these...no, not the Germans Shepherds...but the guy I am married too.
    ****a pinecone memo pad.....perfect!
    ****a snowman baking pan....love this!
    ****a recipe for Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake....delicious!!!!!!!!!!!
    ****Seeds
    Journey's End Canna
    Broadway Bold Eyes Daylily
    Rosy Wren Daylily
    Decatur Cherry Smash Daylily
    Japanese Iris Chitose Hime
    Canterbury Bells Cup and Saucer mix
    Green Globe Artichoke
    Blanket Flower Dazzlei
    I am rather excited about these seeds.....these specific DL are new to me and I have never grown a Japanese Iris from seed.....very cool!

Shirley, what a luscious KISS...LOL! Thank you so much! Perfect in every way!!!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.............

Annie

• mellen
    14 years ago

I sent Heidi's package today. Be watching for it. :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the updated version of the swap list. Please let me know if I missed anyone's post.

Beth_b_Kodiak - KISS mailed to Jeanne
    Brittneysgran - KISS received by Annie
    Canyonwind - KISS received by April
    Dirtundermynails
    Fcoffill - KISS received by Vina
    Flowergirl34 - KISS mailed to Melinda
    hdiperna - KISS received by Margo
    Ilovefarac - KISS received by Mary Ellen
    Mellen - KISS mailed to Heidi
    Remy - Mailed to Shirley
    Sandlapper Rose - KISS received by Remy
    Smitties -KISS received by Carol
    Veeja11

The packages that have been received all sound wonderful!
    Have a good day.
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Hope everyone is well. The freezing cold went away here thank goodness!
    I see people getting extra stuff. I hope Shirley isn't disappointed since I kept it very simple. I wonder where her package is too. I mailed it awhile ago! I sent out a seed trade on the first that never made it to its destination. Mailing things is Dec. is the worst.

Vina,
    Your name is neat. There are a lot of Italian people around here, and I've never met a Vina.
    Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Hi Remy-I did receive my wonderful KISS package and loved it. The ornament was gorgeous and just what I needed to chase these winter blues. And the candles smelled divine.
    Pumpkin Pie
    Spiced Pear
    Sugarplum Fairy Tale
    Cranberry
    My ornament was a cardinal sitting on a white pickett fence looking at a snow covered ground and flower pots filled with snow. He knows it will be Spring time again soon.
    Thank You for the Christmas card as well. I hope you and Gary have a wonderful Christmas.

Annie-I'm glad you liked your KISS box and I hope you, DH and the German Shepherds have a very Merry Christmas as well.

Cold weather is moving back in as the rain has moved out. Yuck

Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Ladies -
    Here I am again to update the list. I hope I noticed all the postings. If not, set me straight. I am sorry not to be posting more often. This Christmas stuff here at home is taking up quite a bit of time - fun time, but time just the same!
    If you mailed and it has not been received, yes, we all realize the mail is traveling a bit slower than usual right now. I just hope everyone is well and not snowed under. We got two fairly warm days in a row, so it was nice to be outside without being all bundled up.

Beth_b_Kodiak - KISS mailed to Jeanne
    Dirtundermynails
    Mellen - KISS mailed to Heidi
    Remy - KISS received by Shirley
    Veeja11

Talk with you later!
    Jeanne

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Morning All!!

Frances~ Your box is on its way!Delivery confirmation # 9405 5036 9930 0078 7559 62

later...April

P.S.
    Melinda & Melissa your Bountiful Harvest bingo prizes are on their way too. Sorry sooo late!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received my package from Beth today and she really put a lot to thought into what she sent - first the ornament was a gardener made out of seashells - how cool is that? Then her card has a starfish on it. She packaged the items in a pretty holiday basket with a spring of fresh greenery over it (little ornaments on the greenery, too) and then she included mint cholcoate M&Ms - yum - and mini candy canes and there were two Christmas storage containers in the basket and each contained a different type of narcissis (Daffodils are my favorite!) So a big thank you to Beth. I enjoyed what you sent and your creativity in sending it: a package sure to make me smile when I opened it.
    Thanks so much!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, I see I should have made a list to keep myself straight as I walked from the kitchen to the study... LOL
    Beth also included several padded envelopes. Just great to use for swaps and they are much appreciated.
    Thanks again. It was a great package!
    Jeanne

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

I'm waiting patiently!! Sounds like all have great ornaments and packages!
    Hope everyone is ready for Christmas and in the spirit of the season! I have all decorations done. All shopping and all wrapped! Just to do some cooking now!
    Have a wonderful day everyone! Melinda

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi all
    I got my KISS today. I received a pretty cross, 3 huge chocolate turtles, seeds~ sweet pea chocolate streamer, Convolvulus ensign rose, Gaillardia Razzle Dazzle, and Amaranthus autumns torch. My package also included the December issue of Good Housekeeping. If you have not seen this issue it has great last minute holiday ideas.

Thank you for the pick me up today!!
    Heidi

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Everyone has received such great KISSES! I have enjoyed reading about them these past few weeks. :O)

I wanted to introduce ya'll to the newest member of our family. Her name is Maggie.

She is our Christmas present to the family, since this year is a difficult one for us.
    Maggie is a 7 month old black lab. Her previous owners just couldn't keep her- they were under the impression that labs were calm dogs.....LOL! They didn't realize that she had so much energy! So they offered her on Craigslist for adoption- FREE!- with everything she needed (food, bowls, leash, collar...even a chew toy, which is kinda silly, since EVERYTHING is a chew toy for a lab!!). So she's taken care of for the next month, food wise. She's healthy, UTD on her shots, and best of all, she's spayed. Yay!

Last night was interesting, though. She ate 3 of Lili's toys, 1 shoe, a pair of gloves, 1 plant (non toxic), 1 un-used diaper, a log (we've got a woodstove) and a jacket.
    WHEW.
    That little thing was up all night! But she's learning quick, though. Hubby made her a pallet by our bed, and had her lay down on that for the rest of the night. (a little too late, but she DID mind him!) She's not housebroken quite yet, but that is coming along OK. She's hubby's baby, though, so he's in charge of that stuff. LOL
    She already knows "down" & "lay down". The only problem we are having is that she likes to chase the girls through the house. But, she's a puppy, and they are kids....so they do that stuff. Just not so fun when Lili gets clobbered by the herd! :O)

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Sue is your box mia ? Heidi, I need some of those chocolate turtle seeds, sure would like to grow them. happy shopping to all. I made 6 arrangements for the lady I worked with before the boss laid us off she cooks a meal at her church for the homeless and needed centerpieces, enjoyed desigining again. she let me know that not only did the boss not come in to the shop the day we were robbed and knocked around but she told the police that Joan had the rent of 1300 in her purse but it was a lie. the poor lady is owed 2400 in back pay so we are being nice in hopes of her getting paid. at this point I am having a big problem letting go and letting God hard to not want revenge. never give free time and items unless they are truly freely given lesson #1 hugs carol

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beth_b_Kodiak - KISS received by Jeanne
    Dirtundermynails - KISS has been mailed to Frances
    Mellen - KISS received by Heidi
    Veeja11

Carol, I was glad to see that you posted. I was starting to worry about you. Please let me know if you have you mailed your KISS. I wasn't sure from what you wrote whether you had mailed or not. The mail is slow these days.

Melissa, what a fun time for the kids with a new puppy! That's wonderful that she has all her shots and accessories and even has been spayed. Just a word of advice - lay down some rules to make Maggie behave. Not in a mean way, just don't let her do whatever she pleases. Labs learn easily. It will make your life a lot easier. Have the kids teach her some tricks so she learns to respond to what everyone in the house tells her to do and give her lots and lots of praise when she does the right thing. I suspect she will get plenty of activity and exercise with all the kids there to play with her. LOL
    Normally at 7 months, she would be house trained or very close to it, but since she is not, take her out really often - especially when she first wakes up from a nap, shortly after she eats, etc. and again - praise, praise, praise when she goes to the bathroom outside.
    I am just saying all this because she is new to your home now and it is a good time to have her learn what the rules are at your house. Especially don't let her jump on the kids or bite at their hands. She will be a large dog and not good habits for a dog anyway.
    There is a good training lesson called "Leave it" - you put something the dog will want within reach and tell her to leave it and then praise her and give her a different treat for leaving it. Can do the same with "drop it" when something is already in her mouth. Real handy if you are having to get toys, etc. away from her. Dogs actually enjoy playing this "game" and if you begin chasing her to get things away from her, it will become her own game and she will not give things back to you easily. Even the kids need to be in charge of her and not let her do everything and anything. I know it's hard, puppies are so cute, but take it from a former pet sitter - a large dog that does everything it wants to and is not trained is no fun and they really need and want rules even though it might seem like they don't. LOL
    Glad to see a picture. Send more when you get a chance. (I did not follow all these rules with my own dog because I had not had as much training in dog behavior back then, but doesn't hurt to pass them along so I am not saying this like I myself did everything just right. GRIN!)

I am going to try to work on my Santa quilt some more today. I got the blocks 2 years ago and am determined to complete it and get it hung before Christmas this year. It's a cool rainy day here, so perfect to stay indoors and sew.

Jeanne

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be absent so long. Lots going on. Out-of-town kids arriving tomorrow and let the fun begin!

Oh Bunny, Maggie is SOOO cute!! Congratulations!

My son and his wife got a new lab just like yours from the shelter just a couple of weeks ago. They do have tons of energy and are really smart. For my son's family it's their second dog! It's a real circus over there a lot of the time. The first dog is an Australian sheep herding dog. Talk about energy! She can run full-on speed for about an hour at a time. She loves to 'herd' the kids. They had to teach her to stop doing that. Kind of tough to un-teach an inbred instinct.

Jeanne, that's great advice about how to train a new dog-family member. I passed it along to my son.

It was 25 degrees here last night and my lettuces are still okay! That little covered raised bed is fabulous! It's heading for 20 degrees in a couple of days. I don't think my lettuce will make it past that. Guess we will be harvesting and eating a lot of salads in the next few days. We are due for a big snow storm tomorrow. My son is home from college now and went snowboarding today. I'll glad he will be back tonight before the storm is supposed to hit.

I must get back to holiday preparations. Hope everyone is snuggie in your homes and enjoying the Season.

Dottie

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Jeanne,

The "KISS" swap has been such a fun one. Thanks for hosting. Carol posted on Monday that her box was sent with a DC#............

Melissa, enjoy the newest family member, Maggie!!!!! Labs are WONDERFUL family dogs!!!

Merry Christmas to all!!

Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Wow! Santa Claus came here early!! Woo Hoo! What a box!
    Vina sent me:
    Bag of New York cheesecake Ganache! Wonderful!
    Whole box of chocolates!
    Santa ornament that says HO Ho Ho on it!
    Heart shaped plaque with snowman on it-It says "Special Friends warm the heart--even on the coldest of days! "
    2 rocks from Lake Ontario--I love getting these from other places.
    2 Pink sharpies with pink notecards with kitten on them! They are adorable!
    Hummingbird feeder
    Christmas Fern! Already planted!
    6 New bubble envelopes with pink bow on them.
    Visitor's guide to Cayuga County-makes me want to move there. Gorgeous country!
    Info pamphlet from Weedsport, New York. Very cool!
    black glittery bag with seeds-Red Husker's Penstemon, pink butterfly weed, Caesar's brother irs, and blue vervain!
    Everything was wrapped and fixed pretty for Christmas!
    Thanks so very much Vina! Was a wonderful box! Hugs, Melinda

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Ho Ho Ho!

We are under a 'winter storm advisory' at the moment Hail is bouncing around outside! Fun to watch as I bake cookies!

April, thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten I would get a package too :O ha ha ha see what old age does to you!

Carol, I am sorry to hear that you were laid off, especially after the robbery ordeal and glad to hear that you are well and not seriously considering 'revenge' no matter how much some people might be deseving of retaliation! I used to help a friend prepare Chritmas dinner for the homeless in Toronto, it was a wonderful way to spend Christmas eve!

Melissa! what a wonderful Christmas gift for your family! She looks like a lovely dog! I am sure you will all be very happy together!
    Must runn and keep an eye on my cookies! I haven't seen a schedule for 2010 OBF Swaps, but I would like to host one.

Be well and warm and safe this holiday season! I hope that Santa brings you all a little of whatever it is that makes the season 'perfect' for you!

Frances

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Melissa-Maggie is a beautiful dog. I think all kids should grow up with a dog. My kids have such fond memories of each pet they owned.

Carol-I myself have a hard time with forgiving. But God will give us that peace to let go if we let him. Praying your peace comes.

Dottie-Glad you are still enjoying your lettuce. Yum

Frances-We are getting much the same weather as you. The snow and sleet started around 6:00 a.m. and continued off and on all day. Bosses finally said go home around 2:00 p.m.
    Some roads were so bad by this time I fear workers did not get home. We have so many mountainous roads they get really slippery.

We do need volunteers for all twelve months for 2010.
    If you see a month you would like to host please say so.

January-
    February-
    March-
    April-
    May-
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-
    November-
    December-

Jeanne has done a wonderful job with our December swap and it is just about closed. Ever who takes January may want to sign up with their theme and get things rolling for it.

Shirley

• sguanzon
    14 years ago

I waited to send my box off to Beth (she's on her way back to Arizona) .....

I received my box from Santa(Carol)!

I got

seeds
    flashing snowflake bracelet
    elimination marble game
    mini oil lamp
    mini daff bulbs
    chocolate orange
    i love santa mug with candy
    a carousel ornament
    a bear love pin
    a bath set
    a rooster pot holder and oven mtt
    a penny charm magnet
    a snowflake ornament
    and
    a notebook

Thanks Carol!

Sue G.

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Hoorah!!! I got my "Kiss" from April yesterday evening!

April I could just Hug you!!!! SEED ENVELOPES!!!! you know I go to the craft store about every week and never think to buy these, but they are just exactly what I need (especially with all the winter seedswapping that is going on) Thank you thank you thank you!!! I won't be folding paper again for quite some time! She also sent a very cool lightup ornament in the shape of a Watering can, a glade scented candle and seeds, Foxglove and Bowles Black Viola (really looking forward to these) the Snowman card is very cute too, did you make this?

Shirley
    Glad you got home safe and early! We never actually got any 'snow' mostly a combination of rain and sleet which froze overnight and is quite beautiful this morning as it melts! it looks like the whole world is encased in glistening crystals! By noon it should be clear. I hope you are safe and warm and that your power didn't go off!

I think I would like to host March if that is acceptable, everyone should be ready for a 'garden swap' by then, suffering from a little 'March Madness'

Best get started, cookies to bake!

have a wonderful day everyone, stay safe and warm!

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, here is our follow-up. Wonderful job, ladies! This swap is complete!

Beth_b_Kodiak - KISS received by Jeanne
    Dirtundermynails - KISS received by Frances
    Flowergirl34 - KISS received by Melinda
    Mellen - KISS received by Heidi
    Veeja11 - KISS received by Sue

I will pop back in late this evening or early tomorrow with the answers to the Mistletoe questions and to announce the winner. I had fun looking up information about holiday plants! Merry Christmas to all.

Jeanne

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to April for the lovely kitchen towel! Christmas design! I needed it! Thanks a million, Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Jeanne , Glad the package arrived safely and you are enjoying it.
    I'm curious how many different songs you got with Mistletoe in them. Driving cross country I heard so many that I never remembered had Mistletoe in them.
    Anyway, I'm home again safe and sound and ready to getready for Christmas

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heidi was our first person to guess on the mistletoe questions and got the most right, so she is our winner! Thanks to everyone for playing. I will get a prize out to you, Heidi, although at this point, it may arrive after Christmas.
    Here are the answers:

1. A song with the word mistletoe in it. Name the song and give the lyrics that contain the word (one line of the song where the word is found.)
    " It must have been the Mistletoe" by Barbara Streisand "It must have been the Mistletoe, The lazy fire the falling snow"
    2. A different song with the word mistletoe in it. Name the song and give the lyrics that contain the word (one line of the song where the word is found.)
    "Hangin' Round the Mistletoe" "Hangin round the mistletoe, waitin for you dear"
    3. The two types of mistletoe that grow in the United States are:
    American Mistletoe and Dwarf Mistletoe
    4. Phoradendron, the scientific name for American mistletoe, means what in Greek?
    Phoradendron means Theif of the tree
    5. Mistletoe is a hemiparasite. What is that?
    A Hemiparasite is one that obtains nourishment from a host but still photosynthesizes

1. A poem written in 1826 contains these lines.

May all the best of feeling know, the custom of the mistletoe.
    Married and single, proud and free, yield to the season, trim with glee:
    Time will not stay ... he cheats us so ... A kiss? ... 'tis gone ... the mistletoe.

According to the custom at this time and what I found in researching this, why would the mistletoe be gone?
    With every kiss a berry was plucked off the Mistletoe. When the berries were gone the kissing was done.
    7. According to another legend why was Hoder able to kill Balder?
    When Balders mother made every plant and animal promise not to harm Balder, she forgot the Mistletoe. Lokie knew this and made an arrow tip from the Mistletoe. Hoder shot the arrow and killed Balder.
    8. In which areas of the world did farmers give a Christmas bunch of mistletoe to the first cow that calved in the New Year?
    In parts of England and Wales. This was thought to bring good luck to the entire herd.

1. Other than being carried from place to place by birds, what way does dwarf mistletoe travel on its own to a host tree?
      Dwarf Mistletoe can explode ripe berries as far as 50 feet.
    2. Which two Anglo-Saxon words that translate into "dung on a twig" led to the plant being named mistletoe.
      Tan means Twig and Mistel means dung
    3. The Latin name of the genus, signifying sticky is: ________
      Viscum
      12. Mistletoe was held in great reverence by the Druids. They went forth clad in white robes to search for the sacred plant, and when it was discovered, one of the Druids ascended the tree and gathered it with great ceremony, separating it from the Oak with what?
      Druids used golden sickles and laid them on a white cloth so it wouldn't touch the ground

Here is the full story that I found about #7. I thought it was interesting.
    The story goes that Mistletoe was the sacred plant of Frigga, goddess of love and the mother of Balder, the god of the summer sun. Balder had a dream of death which greatly alarmed his mother, for should he die, all life on earth would end. In an attempt to keep this from happening, Frigga went at once to air, fire, water, earth, and every animal and plant seeking a promise that no harm would come to her son. Balder now could not be hurt by anything on earth or under the earth. But Balder had one enemy, Loki, god of evil and he knew of one plant that Frigga had overlooked in her quest to keep her son safe. It grew neither on the earth nor under the earth, but on apple and oak trees. It was lowly mistletoe. So Loki made an arrow tip of the mistletoe and gave to the blind god of winter. Hoder shot it, striking Balder dead. The sky paled and all things in earth and heaven wept for the sun god. For three days each element tried to bring Balder back to life. He was finally restored by Frigga, the goddess and his mother. It is said the tears she shed for her son turned into the pearly white berries on the mistletoe plant and in her joy Frigga kissed everyone who passed beneath the tree on which it grew. The story ends with a decree that who should ever stand under the humble mistletoe, no harm should befall them, only a kiss, a token of love.

So now we know a lot about mistletoe!
    Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Thanks for playing the games and swapping this month.
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Sue, Your timeing was great. The packge arrived Sat (yesterday) and Jack had it waiting when I walked in last night.
    I got two ornaments in my package. A Barbeque grill that is perfect for AZ in any season. We do grill year round and it is one of our favorite things to do.
    The other is a tiny candy dispenser cause as Sue said,"you're very sweet". Great choice cause I'm also "FAT" and a candy dispenser ornament is a whole lot better than the real thing. LOL
    Sue also sent four packs of seeds that are OK for here in the desert. I have seen the sand verbena but am looking foreward to getting the others started and seeing them in person.
    There was also a very pretty Christmas Cactus, just loaded with buds and looking great. These are one of my favorite plants as my Grandmother had one for many years. Perfect choice. Many thanks Sue
    Beth

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can't believe I left this off the list when I changed boards:

Sue sends to Beth (Beth_b-Kodiak)It sounds like you received a great package, Beth!

I didn't leave anyone else off the list; did I? Now I am worried. If you didn't receive please let me know. I am claiming "Christmas-itis"...

Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Jeanne~ Thank you for the advice! Maggie has settled down quite nicely, but she gets plenty of exercise outside with the kids. They love playing tag with her, and she's learning to fetch (although she likes to combine both games sometimes!). The kids are loving it.
    She spends most of the time indoors, because we want her close by, to make it easier to train her. She hasn't had an accident indoors since Friday, so that's going well. She likes to sleep with the girls, she's very taken with Adora....seems to want to protect her? Which is strange, since Adora is a bit shy around her (not scared or nervous...just unsure).
    I was alone with Maggie for 2 hours last night, and she stayed right by my side constantly, even following me to the bathroom! LOL Just like the other kids! :O)

We've been amazed at how fast she is learning. You only have to tell her once when it comes to most things, and she already is doing very well with the leash, she hasn't chewed up anything else- except potatoes...she LOVES potatoes. So we've started peeling them for her, since she'll eat the white, but spit out the peel.

Anyway...I'm very glad we rescued her! I wasn't sure I wanted a dog, at first..wasn't sure we could afford to have one, really....but now I'm happy we got her, and I couldn't imagine NOT having her! It's funny how attached you become, and so quickly too, isn't it? She's already like another child!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good news about Maggie, Melissa. It sounds like you are the perfect family for her! Have fun.
    I know I have heard someone say that a tired dog is a good dog and I'll bet she gets plenty of exercise at your place.
    That is outstanding that she has gone all that time without an accident in the house. You know that we will need more puppy pictures!
    Jeanne

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

So glad to hear Maggie is thriving in her new home. I'm with Jeanne . . we need more pictures!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Okay, since you girls asked! ;)
    It's really difficult getting a good picture of her, though. The only time she is still is when she's sleeping. Which is not very often, but it does happen once in a while!

This is Maggie, Adora & Aubeni. Maggie likes to sleep on Adora's legs.

And here is Adora, Aubeni, Elijah & Lili. Maggie has a lot of patience with Lili...the only thing she doesn't like is her tail being pulled on (which I think is true for many dogs), and Lili is learning not to do that. All that Maggie does is use her nose to move Lili's hand. She's very gentle.

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Loving the pics, Melissa!! Your kiddo's are so very cute!
    Hope all is well with you! Merry Christmas to you and yours and all other members here! HUgs, Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

The kids are beautiful and it is so nice to see the dog lying there so peacefully. I miss having a dog around but the last two were too roudy for in the RV.
    Jeanne this swap is wrapping up nicely and it has been fun to be back into the activity again.
    I'd be happy to sponsor something Squirrley for Jan or Feb. If someone wants the other month just let me know which one as I can do either.
    Hope everyone is ready for Christmas. I am just now starting to bake but starting sooner just has me eating more. LOL

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beth,
    It would be fun to do something squirrley again! (Boy, that sounds bad; doesn't it?) LOL

As for the pictures of Maggie and Melissa's daughters, I love the pictures. It looks like Adora is making sure Maggie stays covered under the blanket with her. That's true love! It is not always easy to find a young dog that is so kind to young children, so you have a winner there, Melissa.

Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

January- Beth (something Squirrley) Love it
    February-
    March- Frances
    April-
    May-
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-
    November-
    December-

Beth-I'm going to act fast and give you January since we have no other volunteers and it is fast approaching. LOL
    Love the theme and hopefully everyone will want to join after the Christmas rush is over.

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, Bunny! Love them! The kids and Maggie are so adorable!

Okay, I can't wait to find out what January's swap will be. Squirrely??

Have to go to bed now. It's been a long, long day.
    Dottie

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi all...sorry I've been MIA for a while.
    Melinda glad everything arrived in one piece. I thought the hummingbird feeder would help you "Think Spring".:0)

Melissa, that puppy is so cute!! She reminds me of the dog I had when I was little. A lab just like that one, he went by the name of Snoopy. I loved that dog!! Come to think of it...he was a Christmas present too! Your kids have to be so thrilled!!

Well, we have another 8 inches of the white stuff falling as I speak. It's going to be a white Christmas here!! :0)

Have a great Christmas everyone!!
    Talk to you soon!
    vina

• mellen
    14 years ago

While I have a few moments, I want to wish ALL of you dear friends a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday time. We will have a white Christmas, also, as we received 14 inches of snow about 10 days ago. Right now we are expecting another freezing rain/sleet/snowstorm/blizzard from now til Saturday. Plans are on hold waiting to see what happens as far as any travel. Our son and daughter-in-law are to come this evening from St. Cloud, but time will tell. Twill be the first time we have seen them since their wedding in September.

Melissa, we also got a new Lab. But HE is a baby. Weened and cute, cute, cute! HE(I have a hard time saying that since almost all of our pets have always been SHE)is a cross of lab and blue heeler. He is all black except his tummy and the tip of his tail is frosty-colored. She is a great companion for Lady our SHE dog. Can't decide whether to call him Tramp or Buddy.Finally a dog that will use a dog house! Maybe Lady will get the idea and start to use the other one. Lady refuses to use a doghouse, go in the garage, etc. Obviously something happened in her past that makes her afraid of those places. So she just lays out in the elements year-round.

Hubs is cutting wood for the fireplace. I am baking and listening to Christmas music. What a life!
    ME

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Melissa! What beautiful children! the new familt member seems to have settled right in!

Happy holidays everyone! Be safe and warm!

Frances

• uptreasa
    14 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Melissa, What a beautiful family you have!

Treasa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heidi,
    I was just about to label and mail the prize for the mistletoe questions and for some reason I can't find you last name and mailing address. Please send it to me by e-mail. (...or anyone else who has it and can send it to me.)
    By the way, I wished Shirley a Happy Birthday on the new swap but I will place it here, too, in case you may not see it listed there.
    Happy Birthday, Shirley! I'll bet you have a big party with your birthday and Christmas all rolled into one!
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you've been good so Santa and his reindeer are good to you. Don't want this happening~

Shirley,
    Happy Birthday!

Melissa,
    Love the pics.
    Talk to you all soon,
    Remy

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Thank you Jeanne and Remy...it has been a most memorable Birthday for me.

Remy-What a cute cartoon....love it.

Got to check out Beth's Squirrely swap.

Shirley

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Shirley!!

later...April