Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
UPDATE: secret santa 5th year thank you's and games

Posted by flwrs4ever 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 23:51

PLEASE post here once the second thread is full...Thank you's, games and anything Christmas related :)

PLEASE, take time to go to the rate and review forum and post a review for those that mailed to you !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: secret santa 5th year thank you's and games

Secret Santa blessed my mailbox again today, sure is great getting cards with seeds instead of bills. From grdngramma a stocking card with calendula, one of my favorite annuals. From debby-1 yellow pear tomatoes, yum, and pink hardy hibiscus, never can get enough of hardy hibiscus!

THANK YOU BOTH!

o

I was blessed again today as well! My husband says WOW, how come you keep getting so many cards and seeds. I just smile and tell him how awesome you all are.

Today Debby (Debby-1) sent me a cute santa card with smokey fennel and National Pickeling cucumber.

Margo (Smitties) sent me Echinacia Yello Paradoxa, and Gaillardia.

Thank you both so much! My garden is going to be the best in town!!

o

I got three more cards in the last few days..

1. from Roper2008, she sent elfin tomao,amaranth green tails and nigella mulberry rose seeds.

2.From SJC48, Shirley sent me tall zinnias,salvia forest fire and nigella seeds.

3. Kimnkell sent me two types of zinnias.

Thank you ladies! I have not been feeling well and a card in the mail with seeds was a nice pick me up!!

Lisa

I will be mailing my next round of cards tomorrow which is the date that I was supposed to mail anyway.

o

I have posted reviews for everyone I have received cards from so far. This has been such a hoot!! I am already looking forward to next year.

o

I got an envelope in the mail today from Shirley (sjc48). Thank you
very much Shirley for the hummingbird sage, dill & nasturtiums. The
butterflies, hummingbirds and caterpillars will be very happy this summer.

o

I can hardly wait for the mail to arrive. It's like Christmas every day! Lois sent me tomato and pink zinnia seeds with a card that had cats hiding in a Christmas tree. Pam (grdngramma) sent me foxtail grass seeds. I have just the spot to plant them. And Shirley (sjc48) sent a homemade card with a decorated tree and enclosed pink and white columbine, tall multi-colored zinnnia and rocket larkspur seeds. Thank you ladies - they were all on my wish list.

o

I got a wonderful doggy card today from Linda/roper2008.
She included Tomato, Large Bulgarian Pink, Safflower Zanzibar, and Lady Bird Scarlet Cosmos. What great seeds! Thank you, Linda!!

Tomorrow is my first day to mail. I'm going to mail a couple each day to make it last a little longer.
Alana

o

Keep those bingo words coming Kym!
==========================================================

Today I came home to 4 cards full of seeds on the table. Talk about excitement! Even my new little guy, Grumpy, was waiting for me to come home to open up those envelopes! LOL!
From sjc48/Shirley I received sugar pumpkins and oodles and oodles of different types of morning glories!

Diana sent sugar baby watermelons, g. ott morning glories, cheese pumpkins, field pumpkins, summer squash, and birdhouse gourds.

Linda/roper2008 sent pickling cukes, plum tomatoes, and giant zinnias.

Mandy/L1oness sent basil and parsley.

Thank you Ladies! Thank you indeed!

-Dan & Co.

o

I got a card yesterday from roper2008, a sweet winter birdhouse. It came with varieties of seeds I've never heard of, and can't wait to look up! Rio fuego sauce tomatoes, Aunt Molly's ground cherries, and ruby moon hyacinth bean.

Thank you!

o

I just noticed that I am not on the list for Bingo! I sent my list yesterday morning. I still have it in my email. Let me know what to do about this? Thanks so much!

o

1. From Kchd: sent me Salvia cocinea "coral nymph" along with nice winter greeting card. Thank You so much

2. sjc48: sent me 3 types of sweet peas and painted daisy along with nice christmas ornament card. Thanks a lot. Painted daisy is new for me and sweet peas are my favorite. can't wait to grow them.

3. Debby_1: sent me Petite yellow sweet pea vine (love it) and Black krim tomato (yum) with a pretty card. Thank you so much.

4. Smithies: sent me nice Holly card with nicotiana, Allysum oriental night purple, Allysum Royal carpet pink (commercial). Wow love them. Thank you so much.

5. grdngramma: sent me nice winter snow card with foxtail grass and turnip green (yum). Thank you so much.

o

I received a cute card with penguins going caroling from debby_1. She sent some fragrant smokey fennel and brandywine tomato. Thank you!

o

I came home to 2 cards today - exciting! The theme today was kitties (I do love kitties!). Domesticdiana/Diana sent me an envelope covered in kitty stickers and filled with treasures! The card was a cute Christmas tree. In it she had a cute poem and seeds of kale, zucchini, three different kinds of dill, and a marigold mix. I'm excited!

And the kitty theme continued as Debby-1/Debby sent me a cute kitty sleeping in a Santa hat card and a packet of hollyhocks (pretty!) and cucumbers (yay for pickles!). Thank you both!

***sorry- mis-typed earlier***

This post was edited by l1oness on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 7:32

o

Just finished leaving feedback for all those who have sent to me. Thank you all again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rate & Review Exchanges

o

I would like to send out a couple thank yous. First, Debby _1 sent me large red cherry tomatoes and California wonder peppers. Thank you so much! This makes me want feb to hurry up and get here so I can start sowing my seeds!

Detroitgirl77, Michelle, I want to thank you for sending me a card; unfortunately it did not make it. All that came was half the envelope. I am still unsure what happened, but I do appreciate it!

Thank you so much! I will post more thank yous as more cards come.

Dawn

o

I feel bad that Dawn's envelope didn't make it to her intact so I'm resending a new card in the morning with another batch of goodies.

Michelle

This post was edited by detroitgirl77 on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 23:52

o

SEEDS!
Shirley sjc48 thanks for the tree card and the marigolds, sunflowers and salvia. I dont think I've tried that salvia before.
KCHD, thanks for the Anahu tomato and the Salvia lady in red. Will give both a try this summer.
Diana, thanks soo much for the cucumbers, apple gourds, (cool)marigolds and the hopi blue corn. Cant wait to plant them all!
Peace, dd.

o

More thanks for santa's helpers! Thank you Lois for the Anemone Margarete and Zinnia Zahara seeds. And thank you RubyDog/Betsy for the Clethra Ruby Spice, lavender phlox paniculata, toad lilies and zinnias. The cards are beautiful and I love all the seeds! Margie

o

Another thank you!
Betsy/Ruby-dog sent me a lovely card with calendula, swiss chard, cilantro, gaillardia, parsley, and zinnia!
Thanks so much! They will be all used and can't wait!

o

Heidi- Thank you for the lovely package with seeds for marshall's delight monarda, larkspur, and gaillardia puchella:)

o

1. debby_1 sent me gaillardia fanfare, centurea and wood poppy! I have the perfect place for that. I volunteer to plant flowers at 4 city park beds and there's one in shade and these will "pop" next to the dark colors and bloom, bloom, bloom. Can't wait to try them!

2. micyrey sent a card with glitter (for those of us who are really 6 years old at heart). She sent purple bee balm and red corn poppy! Thank you! Do you suppose Santa keeps a list of wishlists that are fulfilled? Mine is getting long!

Heidi

o
bingo

The BINGO players list, was posted..then 3 of you signed up after..it is fine, I have your cards :)
Iloverfarac
xaingirl
farmgirl2009

SOOOOOOOOOOO, Here is a few BINGO words, sorry I missed yesterday, we went Christmas shopping. How is everyone doing getting ready for the holiday ?

Mel, how is your foot ? I hope it heals quickly !!

Is everyone enjoying MAILBOXING ? It is so much fun reading everyones posts and what your going to grow in the spring !!

OK....BINGO WORDS ARE .....................

YULETIDE
sugar plums
RIBBON

Did anyone notice a theme of words I skipped in the Bingo words this year ?

o

I have been out of town since Sunday, so I am way behind on my Thank You's. It was great coming home to four cards packed with seeds. You are all too generous!

SJC48: Thank you for the orange double Marigolds, Borage and Bianca Borage. I am going to have to look that last one up. I do love Borage.

grdngramma: Thank you for the Zinnias, Fennel, Borage and Arugala. It's been ages since I grew zinnias and I look forward to seeing them in the garden next year.

kchd: Thanks for Arugala, neighbor. I love your town and remember Christmas shopping there every year when I was a kid.

debbie_1: I had a bit of seed envy recently when I saw someone else of the thread thanking you for smokey fennel. I thought, "Gosh, that sounds cool. I wish I had some smokey fennel." Lo and behold, I got a card with smokey fennel and dwarf marigolds. Thank you!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 17:30

Today I received a beautiful handmade card from micyrey/Michelle. I love it, it's so creative and sparkley.
Inside were larkspur and heirloom pink perennial dianthus seeds.

I mailed my first cards today. I put $.45 stamps on the cards and took them to the post office to be sure the postage would be enough. The clerk weighed a few cards and said they were all fine, even thou I told her they didn't have the same amount of seeds. So heres hoping no receives a card with postage due.

o

Thanks Kym, for checking to see if I sent my list! Not that it's doing me much good! LOL!
And yes, my foot is doing better than I had hoped. It still hurts and is still swollen, but has gone down alot. Started to turn purply, black, and green. But hopefully be able to be up some on it this weekend and get caught up a little. Thanks so much for asking.
I am loving all these wonderful cards and seeds! I so love this swap!
Don't despair some of you, many cards are left to be mailed!

o

Hey Lois! Thanks for the sparkly, snowy streetlamp card with the colorful Christmas tree rubbing inside (with a couple cats in the tree, which Elly thinks is really kewl)! Thanks, too, of course, for the very generous amount of "Japanese Anemone - Margarete" seeds! Just Googled to check out the flower;...niiiiice! Looking forward to wintersowing them! :) More wonderful color for our garden,...and what's especially nice is this anemone blooms Sept. through Oct.

o

More cards today, yay!

I would like to thank Betsy, ruby_dog, for the card full of seeds to include delicious and mortgage lifter tomato, dwarf blue kale, white Lisbon bunching onion, arugula, and bowling red okra (really excited about the okra, it will be my first year growing it). Thank you!

I also want to thank grdngramma for the early wonder beets and okra! I'm going to have to find a bigger spot in my yard to plant all the okra you sent me ;) thank you!!

I'll be mailing my cards out Monday (a day late, but working several 12 hr shifts and that is my first day off to get them mailed). Getting them all finished up tonight and tomorrow night! I can't wait to check my mailbox tomorrow!

o

I mailed my envelopes at the P.O. this morning.

I received four cards today.

A beautiful amaryllis card and in it were dianthus "Flashing Lights", "Iron Maiden" penstemon, and "Blue Spires" salvia from onedaylily. Thanks so much.

debby_1 sent me a beautiful card and inside was a pack of cosmos and mammoth sunflower seeds. Thanks so much.

xiangirl sent me a card with Secret Seed Swap on the front.
Inside was a pack of Queen Calhoun zinnias, a pack of Huskers Red penstemon, a pack of Woods purple aster, and a pack of New England asters. Thanks so much.

Sandysoil_2008 sent me a poinsettia card and inside were blue balloon flower seeds, columbine seeds, and Queen Sophia marigolds. Thanks so much.

o

Received 4 more cards in the last couple of days!

Thanks Betsy, Ruby-Dog for the great card and all of the seeds you sent. It's a great assortment and they'll be a great addition to the garden. Seeds sent are Cilantro, Dill, Parsley,Jalapeno Peppers, Sweet Banana Peppers, Beefsteaks.

Thanks Linda, roper2008, cant wait to try the tomatoes you sent. Each of these varieties sound great, especially want to try the Oxheart tomatoes. Seeds sent are Oxheart tomatoes, Sweet Linda, Tommy Toe red cherry, Chocolate Stripe tomatoes.

Hi Mandy,l1oness, Thanks for the card and seeds. The Cilantro will be a fine addition to next years batch of salsa and the Parsley will come in handy in the kitchen.

Thanks to Jeffrey and Lois, the tomato seeds will be a great addition. Always find room to plant tomatoes.

I wish all the Secret Santa Seed Swappers a Merry Christmas!
Ed, SalsaCanner

o

I got a nice santa card with lemon cucumbers (my son's favorite) and black seeded simpson lettuce. I REALLY love my greens. Many many thanks to l1oness.

Roper 2008 sent a precious puppies card with matching envelope, I love it!! Inside was daybreak gazania, tendersweet carrots and Sweet Linda pink cherry tomatoes. I'm SOOOOOOOOO anxious for summer, thanks bunches, I do really well with cherry tomatoes, not so good with larger varieties, so very glad to get these.

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 21:59

I received a beautiful amaryllis card today from Margie (onedaylily). Margie sent 3 packs of wonderful native seeds: Asclepias tuberosa "hello yellow"; Veronia fasciculata common ironweed; and Veronicastrum Culvers root. All much wanted lovelies that I can't wait to grow. Thank you so much, Margie!

Katie

o

Want to say THANK YOU to Sandysoil_2008! She sent me Mexican hat, celosia plumosa, cleome, coreopsis(lance leaf) & orange marigold! Can't wait to research and plant all of these. Thank you Sheila!

THANK YOU to Ruby_Dog! She sent me chives,garlic,or chinese herb, black beauty eggplant(love), kale, lisbon onion and sweet banana pepper! YUMMY!!! Thank you Betsy!
Merry Christmas :)

o

3 cards today

Sandysoil_2008 sent her favorite perennial of balloon flower, her favorite annual of marigold 'queen sophia' and chives. I looked up the queen sophia marigold and the flower is just stunning! I really like balloon flowers, I am always so tempted to pop them before they open. Chives is always a favorite. Thank you very much!

Debby_1 sent beefsteak tomatoes and smokey fennel. I absolutely love the smell of that smokey fennel. Ii always love my beefsteak tomatoes too, thank you!

Onedaylily sent blue forget-me-nots, verbascum 'wedding candles', Nigella 'Miss Jekyll Blue' and passion flower. I really love passion flowers and I am so excited for a new nigella variety! I looked up Verbascum Wedding Candles and they are such cool looking plants!
Just look: so cool!

Thank you all for the seeds. They are very cool and I can't wait to plant them!

o

I received one card today, from Jeff and Lois. Thank you so much for the 'Sweet n Early' cantaloupe seeds! These will be planted right next to my Moon and Stars watermelons next year!

--Jordan (WonderWeasel)

o

I received 2 cards yesterday. Thank you Mandy (l1oness) for the French
Dwarf Double Mix Marigold. I will be planting lots of marigolds next summer,
especially around my tomatoes. I also received a pretty glittery card from
Jeff & Lois with Zahara pink zinnia. Never grown the Zahara series before.
Thank you

o

Did kimnkell and pumkingal get my seeds? I never heard if you got them.

o

I got some wonderful cards the last few days from
linda (roper2008), i got love in a mist, love in a puff, and money plant. From margo (smithies), i got feverfew, and gaillardia.
Thank you both for the wonder cards and seeds it was so nice to get them.
Thanks again
lisa
lysa39

o

I got some wonderful cards the last few days from
linda (roper2008), i got love in a mist, love in a puff, and money plant. From margo (smithies), i got feverfew, and gaillardia.
Thank you both for the wonder cards and seeds it was so nice to get them.
Thanks again
lisa
lysa39

o

SEEDS!
Debby-thanks for the cherry tomatoes and Simba marigolds.

Micyrey-thanks for the Ruebeckia and evening primrose.

Happy Holidays, dd.

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 11:45

In addition to all the great seeds from my wish list, I'm also getting some great ideas for my Christmas cards next year! Like the one I got from Michelle/micyrey, very pretty and creative, Michelle! She also sent parsley and snapdragon seeds! Thank you!
I also received a pretty card and double profusion zinnias and dwarf French marigolds from Paula/paulan70 - can't wait to try these zinnias! Many thanks!
And from ruby_dog/Betsy, I got rudbeckia hirta, snapdragons, zinnias, parsley, tithonia *YAY!), and sedum "Autumn Joy"(Double YAY!!). These are all from her community cutting garden! Betsy, Thanks!
Shirley!

o

sheila- thank you for the seeds! I love balloon flowers:) I can't wait to try the blue ones:)

Barefoot gardener- what a great assortment of seeds- thank you ! I especially cannot wait to try the pink caspian tomato:)

o

I received four more cards with seeds.

A beautiful card from micyrey with two packs of seeds, Dianthus pinks and red corn poppies. Thanks so much.

A snowman card with pink zinnia, salvia coral nymph, mystic Merlin hollyhocks and dianthus mix from jimryder. Thanks so much.

I received a beautiful Santa card from ruby-dog. In it was red amaranthus, sunflower mix, blacktail mountain watermelon, scabiosa summer berries mix, walthum butternut squash, and autumn joy sedum. Thanks so much.

barefootgardner12 sent me a beautiful Santa card. In it was Chinese cabbage and three varieties of tomato seeds. Thanks so much.

o
onnecticut shooting

My heart is breaking, and I am at a loss for words, in respect to those families, I will be refraining from BINGO and posting online tonight.

Hug your family a bit tighter tonight, and love to you all !

~Kym

o

I agree with you, Kym.

Sandysoil sent me yarrow pink, cherry brandy rudbeckia and 2 kinds of astilbe seeds! I know these require patience, but I'm so happy. Happy happy happy! Astilbe seeds! Thanks!

o

I got my first card today! Thank your Lois for the beautiful card, I really enjoyed the handmade tree you crafted. I am excited about the teddy bear sunflower seeds, from my research they look wonderful. Thanks again!

o

I am truely grateful and have been blessed by the genorousity of onedaylily and of Jeffery/Lois. I recievd from Jeffery/Lois Termare Delicicus. Thank you so much!

Onedaylily,has blessed me with Purple Palace, Lupne, (I've really been wanting this one, Zebra grass and one of my favorites, Rosemay.

Thank you both so much. I am looking forward to planting all of these in my garden

o

Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 16:06

My sentiments too, Kym.
Shirley

o

I havn't seen anyone mention it, but I'm going to. I love getting seeds, but if you don't protect them with bubblewrap, they are going to get crushed like the beautiful bean seeds I received. Just like if you were doing a seed trade, you need to put some protectiona around these precious seeds, please :o)Sorry to bring it up, but it really needs to be mentioned so we can all enjoy our seeds come spring .

o

I received a beautiful card from Margie (onedaylily) with salvia carradonna,
dianthus flashing lights and dwarf french marigold.. Thank you so much.
Look forward to growing these.

o

Same here, Kym. What an horrendous surprise when I got up this morning and logged on to the net, then immediately turned on TV news. I mean, it's just so totally, terribly surreal. Praying for all the victims and their families.

o

Debby (debby_1) sent me a really cute card with caroling penguins. Enclosed were oat grass and smokey fennel seeds. The smokey fennel smells delicious and it's a butterfly magnet. Thank you so much.
Sheila

o

I received two envelopes today but only one had something in it! The post office makes me angry sometimes :(

Sheila (Sandysoil.2008) sent me some wonderful Echinacea, chives, and cilantro thank you so much!
Lyczak? from St. George, GA I think that is what the return address says. The envelope end was completely slit open and there was no card or anything?? Thank you so much for thinking of me, have a Merry Christmas!!

o

Today I got a really cute and elaborate handmade card from micyrey! She sent Big Jim chili seeds and common milkweed. Thanks so much for thinking of me. I am really excited about the Big Jim's as I have never tried them before!

o

Tonight I came home to 5 cards with seeds. However, supper was almost ready, so I opened each envelope and brought them into the office. While I was enjoying a scrumptious turkey dinner, apparently one, two, or three of my "kids" found the cards, pulled everything out, and proceeded to mix everything up. They even went so far as to pull seed packets out of the bubble wrap. I suspect Grumpy and Stella are the two "helpers", and yes, they are both laying down now attempting to look innocent. Thankfully, all the seed packets are intact, and the cards are okay. So, I'm going to thank everyone at once.

I received cards from Sheila/sandysoil_2008, Cris/barefootgardner12, Paula/Paulan70, Michelle/micyrey, and Connie/chefConnie. All sent beautiful cards, which I will be hanging up as soon as I finish writing this.
I received chocolate cherry tomatoes, mixed cosmos, carrots, mixed petunias, sweet basil, cinnamon basil, double profusion zinnias, chinese cabbage, lemon basil, romaine lettuce, pink caspian tomatoes, pie pumpkins, snapdragons, sensation cosmos, summer squash, balloon flowers, lettuce leaf basil, leaf lettuce, more sweet basil, blue morning glories, yellow pear tomatoes, and queen sophia marigolds.

Thank You One & All!!!
-Dan

o

5 cards ? wow...lol it was your lucky day Dan. At least they didn't eat the seeds !!

o

I received one card yesterday and 2 today. Yesterday I got a card from onedaylily (Margie). She sent asclepias tuberosa "hello yellow", tall thimbleweed and asclepias phsocarpa. Today I received a very pretty handmade card from micyrey (Michelle) she sent evening primrose and snapdragons tetra. I also received a card from sandysoil_2008. She sent orange cosmos, magenta cosmos, pink hollyhocks and rudbeckia irish eyes. Thank you all very much! More great seeds for flowers to bring in the birds and butterflies!
Ginger

o

chefconnie. You posted earlier that you got my seeds and you mentioned what I sent to you! Remember? I sent you Cushaw squash and some other seeds you were so happy to get. I'm Lyczak from Ga.

o

Sorry to chefconnie. I just went back through all of the posts and found that it was redthreaddiy that had received my seeds and posted about it. Geez, what a mess. I'm not wrapped real tight now after seeing the faces of those poor kids over and over again. I've been praying hard for them all day long. Sorry someone ripped off your seeds! I will try and send you some more.

o

Zackey, I too am sitting here watching the news, so very sad. Those poor parents, their children are still in that school for the night. Even though I know they are not there in spirit, I just can't imagine how hard this is on their parents!

I really appreciate you effort on the first card. No need to make a special effort unless you just want to. I just posted so you would know that I appreciated your effort.

Thanks,
Connie

o

I don't remember if I have posted some of them earlier. Anyway would like to post again.

Mandy - sent me nice "let it snow" card with Petunia mixed colors and Parsley seeds. Love them. Thank you so much.

sjc48 - sent me Nice christmas card with two types of columbine (pink/white & lemon yellow) two types of baby's breat (red and white) love them. Baby's breaths are my favorite and columbines will look good in my garden. Thank you so much.

Chefconnie - sent me nice christmas tree card with Radish french breakfast, Marigold (love), two types of lettuce Romain and leaf lettuce blend. Wow can't wait to grow them. I grow lettuce every year and really love it. Thanks a lot

micyrey - sent me pretty glittery card with Parsley plain leaf and Dianthus pinks. Love dianthus and very much excited about it. Thank you so much.

Paulen70 - sent me santa card with giant marigold mix and Rudbeckia cherry brandy. Love both and can't wait to plant them. Thank you so much.

Sandysoil_2008 - sent me nice winter card with Rudbeckia cherry brandy. This would be first time I will be planting cherry brandy. Love rudbeckias. Thank you so much.

jimryder - sent me nice snowman card with 3 types of bell peppers (yellow, chocolate and red) and sweet 100 tomato seeds. Love it all specially can't wait to try sweet 100 tomato seeds. I browsed to see pictures and they look wonderful. Very excited. Thank you so much.

o

smokymist, in the directions AND when any newbie asks, it is explained on how to mail seeds, I am sorry you are unhappy..

Today my heart is breaking and I cant think about being upset over seeds ...one of my life long friends, was the first cousin to the Principal of the school..I have spent the day trying to support the family.

I hope everyone will remember this swap is done out of love, and in the spirit of GIVING. Everyone will recieve a minimum of five cards..but it isnt about getting, its about GIVING.

I love this swap, and how everyone is soo supportive, in 5 years I have made some great friends, and I would like to take the time to say THANK YOU for all you do !

I promise to post BINGO tomorrow and over the weekend..please keep the families in your prayers, words have failed me today.

o

I am so sorry about your loss !!
I am certainly not unhappy, my private email to you was mearly me asking if I should send to some of the people not receiving as much as I am privately hearing some moans and groans about that from different people.
Also, as a gardener, wrapping seeds correctly is important..sorry if you felt I was stepping out of bounds pointing that out.

o
sorry !

I am so sorry about your loss !!
I am certainly not unhappy, my private email to you was mearly me asking if I should send to some of the people not receiving as much as I am privately hearing some moans and groans about that from different people.
Also, as a gardener, wrapping seeds correctly is important..sorry if you felt I was stepping out of bounds pointing that out.

o
mailings

I have 13 folks picked out to mail packages to, and as some aren't getting as many I wondered if I should switch it up to include those instead. Sorry :(

o

Half of the packages havent been mailed yet..so I hope no one is upset.

Thanks for trying to help..and I agree people should protect the seeds. I did mention it several times, and it is posted on the site.

o
seeds

Half of the packages havent been mailed yet..so I hope no one is upset.

Thanks for trying to help..and I agree people should protect the seeds. I did mention it several times, and it is posted on the site.

o

I am so numb from the shootings. I received several cards yesterday and today. thanks so much grdngramme for the pattypan squash and tithonia and the pretty card. Margie/onedaylily that amarylis card is absolutely beautiful and the hollyhock agastache and salvia are very much appreciated.
Sandysoil_2008 thanks so much for the blackeyed susan,coneflower,cosmos and hollyhock. This is my 1st time and I have really enjoyed it and hope that I can participate next year. you guys rock. I enjoy looking at the postmarks from all over and I dreamed what a beautiful garden I had next year

o

Thank you Sheila/Sandysoil.2008 for the very pretty card and chelone and astilbe seeds. These will be a great addition to my shadier garden and are much appreciated! Margie

o

I am really happy, I only posted about the card not being in the envelope from Zackey so I could appropriately thank them. I didn't want all their effort to go unnoticed. This has been such a blessing to me and you all are wonderful. Being distracted by this swap has helped me get through the last 24 hours.

o
bingo

Bingo words for this morning are...
decorations
jack frost
winterwonderland

o

Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 9:25

One year there were a lot of posts about cards/envelopes being received in pieces. I got one in 3 different pieces with the seeds still inside the card.
I always tape my seeds inside the card, and put extra tape around the outside of the envelope. My theory is that even if the envelope gets torn, maybe with all that tape the seeds and card will still make it.

o

Many thanks go out to Sheila, sandysoil_2008! She sent me a lovely card with red lettuce and Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy that I've been wanting to try. Thank you Sheila!!

Our internet has been out for 3 weeks, 3rd tech was here yesterday but it still only comes up occasionally and drops unexpectedly. Very frustrating to not be able to participate in the reindeer games!

Betsy

o

Yesterday I received a pretty Santa card with mixed Columbine and Black Eyed Susan seeds from Sheila/sandysoil_2008. Thank you Sheila! My garden will be beautiful next year!

Mandy

o

Today I received Bubble envelope from Don (dem_pa) inside was a cute Christmas card and seeds packed so nicely! He sent me beans! I have so wanted to try different beans. I got Rattlesnake Pole Beans, Hutterite soup beans, and Mayflower Pole beans, it says these were brought over on the mayflower!! I awesome!

I also got Spinach, which I love. I make green smoothies with it. Right now it is the only thing still growing in my cold Indiana garden.

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!

Connie

o

chefconnie, another card with seeds in it is on the way. I felt so badly that somebody stole the card and the seeds. I did wrap it in a wad. Maybe they thought it was pot? Anyway, this swap has helped to distract me for a few minutes anyway. I didn't sleep well last night thinking about those poor kids and their parents. I've been praying all night for them. Does the bingo winner get a prize? So sorry aboutyour loss flwrs4ever.

o

Just opened yesterdays mail.....guess what...more Merry Christmas cheer from three lovely elves.

*Shelia aka Sandysoil_2008 sent Cilantro and Rudebeckia Irish Eyes.

*Margie aka Onedaylily sent Tomato Juane Flamme, Nigella Miss Jekyl, Dianthus Flashing Lights, Balsam Impatiens

*Debby_1 sent Zinnia Giant Cactus and Pink Balsam.

Shelia, Margie and Debby, thank you so much for your generosity. Merry Christmas to each of you.

Annie

o

I received a card yesterday and another card today :o)
Thank you Heidi for the Amaranthus Prince's feather, and Alana, I will really enjoy growing that Basil in the garden this coming spring !

o

Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 14:03

Received two cards today, from sandysoil_2008/Sheila and poisondartfrog/Alana. Alana sent a really pretty card along with tagetes patula-Red Marietta. Googled these and they are EXACTLY what I wanted, both in color and size - Thank You!
Sheila sent a very nice card and yarrow-burgundy, a cleome mix, black eyed susans, sedum Autumn Joy (yippee!!), and marigold Queen Sophia, again, right on the mark! Thank you!
Good job on the marigolds, ladies, I'll be saving seeds from these!
Shirley

o

A little slow on the thanks. I've received cards from:

Micyrey: A beautiful crafted card, cosmos Sensation, and Poppy Pink Shirly.

Sandysoil-2008: Cosmos Magenta, Heuchera Palace Purple, marigold Queen Sophia and purple Lupine.

Paulan 70: Double Profusion Zinna mix, Petunia mix and Cherry Brandy rudbeckia.

Poisondartfrog: Zinnia Pinca.

Thank you Michelle, Sheila, Paula and Alana. With all of the horrible news happening, this helps.

Debby

o

Forgot to mention that some of the cards I have received have been marked hand stamp only, with the extra postage required and they have clearly been ran through the machine. I'm going to check with my postmaster Monday to see if there is any remedy for this.

Debby

o

I got home to 2 cards in the mail today!

Don (Demp_pa) sent me a bubble envelope full of beans (pole and bush - so many different kinds!), columbine, hollyhocks, radishes, penstemon, siberian iris, asters, Veronica Speedwell, Corno di Toro pepper, and golden goblin... I had to look some of those up, but they look like a great fit to my garden! Thank you very much Don!

I was also very excited by my second card, which gave me a tomato I was hoping to grow next year - black cherry! And that wasn't all - Cabbage (this will be my first year growing that), and Dill. Thank you so much Cris (barefootgardner12)! I am really enjoying this swap, and getting ideas to make my cards and packages more fun for next year!

Mandy

o

Thanks to hibiscusfan for the German Johnson tomato seeds and Asclepias incarnata seeds - the German Johnson tomato is new for me, and I love that it has yellow shoulders when ripe! I love asclepias so I am thrilled to have more seeds! Thanks so much!

Sandysoil_2008 sent swap milkweed, Tomato 'Marglobe Supreme' and Perilla - which rules! I have never tried swap milkweed before, or any of the seeds you sent! Perilla looks gorgeous and Marglobe Supreme looks like a beautiful and perfect tomato. Thank you so much!!!

When I send seeds, I use bubble wrap AND I tape the CRAP OUT OF IT with packing tape. That way, if the envelope gets tossed around a lot for holiday shipping, nothing will fall out :) It might be difficult for people to open, but at least they will get all of their seeds!

o

I don't think the post office hand stamps anymore. I asked about it awhile back and they said everything had to go through the machine.

o

Received 2 envy's today. Micyrey (Michelle) sent me a lovely card she had made. It was beautiful and I know it took some time to make. When I have time I make cards also. She sent Big Mama Hosta seeds and bee balm.

Hibiscusfan (Suzanne) sent cream Scabiosa, Shasta Daisies (Exhibition) and Doronicum (Leopard's Bane).

Thank you ladies for the lovely cards and seeds.

Ellie

o

Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 18:23

Got a pretty Santa card today from paulan70/Paula.
Thank you so much for sending something I've been wanting to try for some time now, Red Spider Zinnia.
I'll bet the hummers will really love these.
Hope everyone has a blessed weekend.

o

Have some nice cards to post!
Sandy soil sent me some marigolds! Love bird cards, thanks!

Onedaylily sent sunflowers, cucumbers, yellow brandywine tomatoe and long beans! Got just the spot.

Paulan 70 sentgiant marigolds, oregeno and salvia. Awesome!

Dem-Pa! sent taxi tomato ,mayflower beans,black cherry tomato,masquerade pepper, ironweed, golden goblin,impations,hibiscus,speedwell, and columbine.

many thanks, and may tommorow bring us better news. peace, dd.

o

A great big THANK YOU to onedaylily! She sent Evening Primrose"Hookeri", Nicotiana Alata"Fragrant Cloud" and Rudbeckia "Marmalade"! Can't wait to research and try these. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.
Merry Christmas Margie!!!

o

I received two cards today. Thanks Don (dempa) for the peach-leaf bellflower,
and salvia transylvanica (looks like a good hummer plant), look forward to
growing these next year.
The other card is from Sheila (sandysoil_2008). She sent Queen Sophia
marigold (been eyeing that one), and black beauty eggplant. Thanks
Sheila.

o

Today I came home after yet another 9-hour day, and didn't find any cards waiting for me, and that was perfectly okay with me. I've been so blessed with the cards and seeds I've already received! Throughout the last five years, Kym has run this swap to the best of her abilities, and it's always been a roaring success. As someone who has hosted many swaps here on the Garden Web, I've had occasion to wonder why some swaps do better than others, and here is what I've come up with. A swap fails when the participants are more concerned about what they are getting, and succesful swaps do so well because the people participating in them are more concerned with SHARING, whether it be seeds, conversation, garden tools, or information. This swap has always been about sharing good times, happy holiday wishes, and yes, seeds. Even if you don't receive seeds on any particular day, you can come here and see what everyone else received. And yes, someone is sure to mention a type or variety of seeds you aren't familiar with, so you research it, and that type becomes your next "got to have". Personally, I find that extremely cool! This is the 4th time I have sent out cards, having skipped a year due to other stuff going on. BUT, I have always come to this swap to see what was going on, who was receiving what, and what kinds of seeds were being mentioned. There may be a hundred participants in any given year, but you can bet there are another 1-200 lurkers who aren't posting, but are reading everything said here. Also, every year there are some people who get more cards and seeds than others, and that's just the nature of the beast. No one plans it that way, but it happens. And somehow, through a lot of work on Kym's part and her special elves who work behind the scenes, everyone gets at least 5 cards. That's a lot of cards, and a lot of seeds. Am I complaining because I didn't get any seeds today? Nope. Nor would I complain if I didn't get any more this year. Why? Because I have been blessed to receive the cards I've received, AND, I didn't come into this swap to see how many cards/seeds I would receive. I participate in this swap because I tend to accumulate more seeds than I can plant through the year, and this swap is the best way to find them what I call "forever homes". (You may conclude from that phrase that I'm big on animal adoption, and you'd be right!) When I was putting together my cards and seeds, I wasn't worried about how many I was sending out, nor was I thinking of how many I'd be receiving. I was simply listening to some christmas music, sipping some eggnog, laughing at the "help" I was getting from my cats, and trying to make sure I had enough postage on the envelopes and box I sent out so the recipients wouldn't have to pay any additional postage. That's it. And no, I didn't use bubble tape to wrap my seeds. I simply trusted my seeds would get to where they needed to go.
And if any of you are wondering about the whole "hand stamp only" issue, at some point in the post office, everything goes through some sort of machine. Again, that's just the way it is and won't be changing any time soon.
As for the crushing of seeds, it's a big postal system out there being run by people who are trying to get everything to its proper home undamaged, but sometimes accidents do happen, and we really do actually try to fix them so the contents of packages make it safely to their destination. I've personally delivered this week a couple of packages in which the clothing had been wrapped in a plastic bag, and the only thing attached to those bags were the postage, and the address. And believe it or not, everything inside the boxes made it.
Now that I've said all that, can everyone please step back a moment, take a deep breath, and not worry about how many cards someone is or isn't sending or receiving. Let's enjoy reading about all the cards being sent, and focus on how many people are getting smiles on their faces each day, okay?
Now, don't make me get back up on this soapbox, because I'll do it, and I'll stay on it until everyone is having a good time, y'hear? Lol!

Now, who's going to come take some of these guppies off of my hands? I've got 2 adult females that I bought about 6 weeks ago, and now I've got a gazillion babies. I'd feed them to the cats, but I've only got the 3, and I don't think they'd keep up.

o

I received another beautiful card with seeds today from Paulan70. In it was two packs of seeds, petunia mix and double profussion mix zinnias. Thanks so much.

o

Dan I couldn't agree more, this has been so much fun, and I love seeing what everyone is saying. I almost spit the wine out of my mouth reading about your guppies!! I bet your cats are entertained for hours watching all those guppies!
This swap is my first and has been a blast!! Even my empty envelope was ok!! because I knew someone's heart was in the right place and they wanted to share with me :) LIfe is good, I am blessed, all my girls are grown and now I get to garden, and I will think of each of you as I plant and watch them grown this spring.

Connie

o

I finally had some free time to look up the seeds that have been been sent to me by some pretty AWESOME ladies and I just had to say THANK YOU again to Ruby_Dog, Xiangirl, Sandysoil_2008, & onedaylily for the BEAUTIFUL flowers and veggies you all have sent me!!!!! I am a beginner and appreciate soooooo very much what you all have sent!!! I am so very grateful to you all,even if I didn't receive from all of you,what a wonderful experience and I WISH EVERYONE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

o

I went to the mailbox today, and had 3 cards waiting for me:

-Donald (dem_pa) sent me an eclectic variety of pole and bush beans (Kenearly Yellow Eye, Mayflower, Rattlesnake, Tiger's Eye, and Hutterite Soup Bean), and a great card. Thank you so much, Donald! There's going to be a lot of Chili and BBQ made next year!

-Margie (onedaylily) sent me a beautiful card with what looks like my 'Red Lion' Amaryllis on the front. In it, there were Japanese Parsley, 'Ambrosia' Cantaloupe, and dark pink Crape Myrtle seeds. The melon patch might need to be expanded this year! Thanks, Margie!

-Sheila (Sandysoil_2008) also sent another gorgeous card with a very unique looking tomato inside: the Black Krim. That should make some interesting-looking salsa! Thanks, Sheila!

o

I received cards today and yesterday but have just gotten the chance to post. I just love going out to the mailbox to see if there is an envelope or two and like Dan, if not, I am still happy to come back inside and look to see what others have received.

Sandysoil sent 4 O'clocks, cherry brandy rudbeckia, and balloon flower
Paula sent cherry brandy rudbeckia
Dem_pa sent Johny jump ups, luffa sponge gourd and small suger pumpkin
Chefconnie sent small pie pumpkin and German chamomile
and Dirt Daddy sent me tithonia sunflower, tomato/cream sausage, large pumpkin, orange grapette, chocolate cherry tomato, spilanthes, Matt's wild cherry tomato, false blue indigo, and pie pumpkin

Thank you to all of you who have sent me a part of your garden. I will use even the duplicated ones as I have plenty of room for it all. I am looking forward to seeing the wonderful beauty of the flowers and harvesting the wonderful edibles that these seeds will create.

Kym, thoughts and prayers to your friend and her family. Such a tragedy.

Margo

o

Dan , be careful, soapboxes have a tendancy to tip over LOL. My dad retired from the post office, so being a post office brat taught me alot about the mail too.
Ok...Ok I get it. I won't offer again to try and help out. Lesson learned.

WonderWeasel you will love the black Krim tomato...I grew it this past year in the garden. Very tasty !

o
maters

Dan , be careful, soapboxes have a tendancy to tip over LOL. My dad retired from the post office, so being a post office brat taught me alot about the mail too.
Ok...Ok I get it. I won't offer again to try and help out. Lesson learned.

WonderWeasel you will love the black Krim tomato...I grew it this past year in the garden. Very tasty !

o

Dan, I agree with u, but I also think swaps are very important. As are wish lists. I've been able to grow out several different flowers and veggies, some I did'nt know , and save seeds and pass them on.
Some do good, some dont, but I try. I really enjoy this swap, sending and getting mail!
Hi Stella! Hi Bump! (pics) dd

o

Woo-hoo! Another card-n-seeds today! From Sheila (Sandysoil_2008);...a beautiful, gold, mostly-sparkly, embossed card featuring Santa and his sleigh with reindeer, containing blue Balloon Flower (Platycodon) seeds (fave perennial), and "Queen Sophia" marigold (fave annual) seeds! Totally lovin' it! Around 3 years ago, my SIL grew a blue Balloon Flower that she bought locally, and I really liked it! I mean, the flowers start out actually resembling balloons, then they open out to bell/lily shaped flowers! Queen Sophia, too, is decidedly one of the best decorative Marigolds! Thanks bunches, Sheila, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

o

I feel so bad for the families of the victums of the shooting in newton. To lose anyone is hard enough but a small child is just unthinkable and heart breaking truely a parents worst nightmare.

But I would like to thank sandysoil 2008 for the card that came in the mail saturday for the pink zinnias and blue balloon flowers. thank you

Paula

o

Bingo words..

goodwill
plum pudding
tradition

o

I just realized I posted one of my "thank yous" to the other thread, so I figured I'd repost it here so Michelle doesn't think one of her cards is out in limbo somewhere:

Received my first card today, from detroitgirl77 (Michelle). Before I even opened the card, the delightfully pungent aroma of licorice emanated from it; Anise seeds! In addition to that, she also sent me a worthy adversary to my 3 year-old Bhut Jolokia plant: The 'Butch T' strain of the Trinidad Scorpion pepper. I am going to have so much fun watching friends and people at the farmer's market next year eating these! Thanks Michelle!

--Jordan (WonderWeasel)

o

***sigh***
well, it looks like I've upset at least one person, and that was NOT my intentions yesterday. yesterday I sat down and caught up on reading what everyone was posting, and it looked to me like we were getting off track in our focus on giving in this swap, and all I wanted to do was head off one of those GW blow-ups that seem to occur all too often. Truly, one bad apple, eh?
Anyway, when people e-mail me about what's going wrong with a swap, or they disagree with something I've said, I do not like to keep it private because that is how those "he said, she said" things start. This is what I received in my e-mail today...

"I was having a good time and offered to help with some of the people not getting alot of cards, because no matter what you all say, it doesn't feel very good for those people to get a smattering of cards while others are getting loaded. It makes a person feel like they are not liked, simply put, or that's what somebody said to me. So..I send a private email to the leader of that swap, and from what i'm seeing with the innuendo she is apparently sending emails about my email to others ? Gardenweb drama, yet again..one reason I don't trade as much as I did years ago.
So I really am feeling crappy right about now, between the shooting, and what I feel like was your fussing at me on there. Merry Christmas !"

I will not say who it came from. I will not say anything more about this. However, if that person continues to e-mail me, I will post their e-mails for you all to share because I won't allow them to remain private. It takes two people to have an argument, and I'm not going to be one of those people. If you disagree with something I've said, say it here in front of everyone or keep it to yourself. I don't expect everyone to agree with me all the time, just as no one should expect me to agree with them all the time. It's just not going to happen, and what makes Life fun is our differences.

Rather than being negative, look at the positive things in life. Hug your children. Enjoy the beauty of a flower. Pet a dog or cat. Enjoy a good meal.

If you haven't received many cards yet, don't dispair! This swap is only halfway done, and who knows what's in store for you??? One of these days you just might be posting and allowing us all to share in your happiness that you received 10 cards in one day! And lastly, let's face it, according to the Mayans we've got less than a week left, so do you really want to spend your last few days worrying about what you didn't get in the mail? Get out there and live it up, make some noise, and enjoy your pets, children (are they really all that different?), friends, and family.
===========================================================

Hey dirtdaddy! Are you available for babysitting? I'd forgotten about how much energy kittens have, and Grumpy is sure reminding everyone! Last night I was listening to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack, and you can see what happened to Bump!

o

Wonderweasel-I did see your thank you post on the other thread. :)

o

Good grief! Sorry Dan, .....
The rest of this post was redacted because I was really po'ed when I typed it.
Thank goodness we can edit our posts now.

This post was edited by poisondartfrog on Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 8:42

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 9:04

I'm not so much riled as sad.
This is my first year in this swap and right from the beginning I have been impressed, starting with the fact that I actually saved enough seeds of different kinds to be able to participate. Everytime I saw something I had on somebody's wish list, it was like, "Whoa, another one!" Everyone's generousity has been so special to me. I have enjoyed the whole process and will participate again next year.

I tend to ignore negativity whereever I find it. It's a training process. Nothing can take away the excitement, thankfulness and joy I've gotten from this swap. I just feel sad that others are unhappy with something this great.
Shirley

o

Lol, don't sweat it Alana, I'm not going to waste my time on it. I've got better things to worry about, like whether or not you're going to bring that dog over to my house...lol! I could probably get away though, how does it see through all that hair?

Have a fantastic day, I am!
After all, it's December 16th, and there's almost no snow on the ground hereabouts, which is very unusual. Today the streets are wet from an overnight rain, it was pea soup foggy earlier, and the temps are staying around 43F today. I LOVE IT!!! (I did ask Santa for a brown christmas, ya think I'm going to get it?)

Hugs all around!
Dan

o

Yesterday I received a bubble envelope from Don/Dem_Pa filled with a wonderful card and lots of seeds!! He sent Bull's Blood Beet (been wanting to try these), Broccoli de cicco (a favorite), Peach leaved bellflowers (wow) and red noodle beans--all from my wishlist. Thanks so much Don!!

This is my first time doing any round robin, and it has certainly been a fun time. I'm hoping all my cards arrived OK and learning a lot about trading.

Counting my blessings here in VA,

Betsy

o

Loving those pet pictures! What type of dog is that poisondartfrog? Is that your baby? Are there eyes in there? :)

I am seeing some interesting seeds to research. I love to check out pictures of them on the internet, what did we do before the net?

o

Oh my gosh Alana, what a cute dog! And all that hair! I can't believe Christmas is so close...next weekend here. 2 of my kids have shifts Christmas Eve and Christmas day. But then hospice patients and the adult day care patients also have needs for some of those people are alone on the holidays.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Ellie

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 12:13

I am running a day behind checking the mailbox. Friday's mail brought me 2 cards from the SSS festivities.

Michelle (micyrey) sent a lovely, glittery hand-made card with Calendula seeds and Bachelor button seeds. Love your creativity, Michelle. The homemade cards are my favorite. If I'd had more time this year, I would have gotten crafty, too. But you and Heidi are inspiring me to plan for next year!

And Grdngramma sent a festive holiday card along with seeds of mixed small gourds (ooo, this should make for a much anticipated surprise in the summer) and foxtail grass. I do love grasses. GG, any idea what the genus or species is?

Thanks so much to both of you lovely & thoughtful ladies!!

Well, if we're gonna be posting silly critter pictures...

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 12:31

Dan, I've lived in SE Michigan for 16-17 years and we've only ever had 2 white Christmas's. I thought it would be different up where you are, but even so, if you want a brown Christmas, then I'll wish for one for ya!

Cute pup, Alana!

I've been trying to get a pic of my cats under the Christmas tree. But they hide under the tree skirt, very frustrating!

I am really surprised to find so many GW members from Michigan, on this swap, and they are all close to me! Where have you all been?! I just recently "met" a gal on another swap, from PawPaw, Michigan, a town I've never heard of!

Okay, I'm starting to babble, so will quit and go try to finish the dusting. Why did I buy bookcases THAT BIG!
Shirley!

o

I received wonderful cards and seeds from the following gardeners. Thank you so much you are all so kind!!

rubydog- Betsy
debby-1- Debbie
Lois- Lois

Cindy :)

o

I received wonderful cards and seeds from the following gardeners. Thank you so much you are all so kind!!

rubydog- Betsy
debby-1- Debbie
Lois- Lois

Cindy :)

o

Shirley, I'll take all the help I can get in making it a brown christmas up here. I used to have them in Tennessee, and there's nothing wrong with them at all! My only dilemna now stems from having put the lawn mower already. If this warm weather continues, I'm going to have to get it out of the shed again...lol! Not that I'm complaining!

Last night when I went to bed, Grumpy was inside the christmas tree, and Bump and Stella were on either side of it messing with the bulbs. Yes, it's mischief they're making, but at least they're working together, right?

o
Good Lord

Ok wow....Dan....everyone, that email was from me. I'm going to set the record straight, as I am very experienced in Gardenweb drama, and it is the reason I stopped trading so much.
I originally sent an email to the owner of this swap , because a few people had talked to me via email ( and no out of respect for their privacy I won't post their emailed public ), wondering why they hadn't received many cards.
They didn't want a ton of card, no, but one of them had only received one card, and as much as he/she loved giving, they were also like a kid running to the mailbox everyday to see if there was a card for them. Nope, nothing would make me reveal this person's name.
So..I emailed the owner of this swap to see if Maybe I should change my 'send to' list so that I could include some of the people not getting as many cards instead of the ones who were.
I also emailed privately my concerns about the use of bubblewrap because I'm not sure about you all but in a regular seed trade I expect it, because it protects the precious seeds.
Well I never got an email back, so I came here and posted about the bubblewrap in public, and next thing I know it starts.. with the post from the organizer of the swap that she is sorry I'm unhappy, etc..etc...
I wasn't unhappy, but since her one post, everyone else seemed to jump on the bandwagon. I had to explain in public what I meant, but nobody seemed to listen, and then Dan jumped on his soapbox ( his words )...I started to get a little miffed. How can one private email to the organizer with me offering to switch my 'send to' list to include people that weren't receiving as many envelopes be taken this way or taken SO far out of context to where my joy in this swap was totally removed, sucked completely out of me.
Once again, with Dan posting my email, it is going to be taken out of context...Once again I was talking about the people I offered to send extra cards to, not myself.
Anyone that knows me on here knows I go way back, and I very often just give plants away to somebody posting they need them, for a special project, if a storm wipes out their garden, etc...I am very generous with my seeds. Heck I even offered free seeds in one of my articles for the magazine, to which I had multiple SASE's sent in.
So here is what I will do...because you all seem heck bent on seeing bits and pieces of conversations and taking things out of context. I will ask that nobody please send ME anymore cards..I will send out what I have on my list, but will not be coming back here for the drama.
You all claim to be so into the spirit of giving, but look at how little by little you all ate up the bits of this, to where one person's 'want' to help, ended up in all of this drama ?
You all have a wonderful Christmas...
I still can't believe all of this happened because I was trying to help some other people out . But that is life , people are just out there waiting on something to latch onto, to make something out of nothing...
I wont' be coming back here to check messages, have a great spring gardening season, and for those that receive my seeds, I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed growing and harvesting them.

o

Thanks for all of the compliments on my dog-it's not mine, lol.
My dog would never embarrass himself like that.
Kobi is the reserved type.

o
not what you all think

I do have one last thing to share. When I emailed Dan back and said to him ' I totally agree with that' , on his comment on how this swap is about giving and not receiving. this is the 'nice' email I get back.

to fai34
please stop writing to me. I have nothing further to say to you, nor do I wish to "hear" what you have to say.

Not such a nice guy huh ? but he sure does like to come here and stir the pot and seems to love the attention.

o

thank you for sharing my e-mail. it shows that I do not wish to carry on with your negativity, and have nothing further to say.

Kym, please do not allow one person to taint this swap for you. It's a fabulous swap, and usually is full of happiness and joy. It will be so again.

(signed)
the Pot-stirring Attention-lover
(I've never been called that, that's just funny)

o

This is my first time with the Secret Santa Swap. I've been having fun with it even though I know I won't receive as many cards as I've sent out - but that's OK. I know that Kym recruited Santa's Elves to send to folks that weren't going to receive many cards. I'm just sad to see folks becoming disappointed and upset with what was supposed to be fun in the holiday spirit. I think miscommunication and not having the full story created this unfortunate situation. The terrible event in Connecticut should put these hurt feelings in perspective. Just want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and blessed Holiday Season.

o

Again, I want to say how very pleased I am. Yesterday i went to the mail box and I rec'ed Zinna mix and Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia from paulan70. Thank you so much. I am going to plant both the very first chance I get.

Additionally, I rec'ed a huge package from Brad. What a welcome surprise. I rec'ed lots and lots of goodies. Too many to list. Some of my favorites are Okra. I love these so much. Also lots of pumkin, tomato, holly and lots more. But my very favorite has to be Canary Island Date Palm. I just hope they will grow here in Georgia.

And a big thank you to Kym for making this possible!

o
Im sorry for anyone being upset

I received a message about the seeds ..but my internet was down, and when it came back I scurried to do the countless emails, with who people mailed to, so I could get emails going to the 'special elves'. In the rules of the swap, and on the site it is explained how to mail seeds. This swap has always been just a bit more relaxed, but people always have sent with care. I also take the time to explain it to any newbie when they are asking how the swap works.

If, smokeymist had sent an emailing asking "how can I help" I would have responded with the elf list. I spent 5 hours with my daughters help, counting cards..to ensure everyone would be happy. I also state, that I will ensure everyone receives 5 cards...so EVERYONE knows going in. This swap was done..out of the idea of giving to others to share in the spirit of the holidays. I have done this swap for five years, and this is the first time I have heard of someone being unhappy..and as I am a people pleaser, this really saddened me. I spread the mailings out ALL month, with the biggest mailers at the end, so that they have enough time to get the cards completed.

I feel I need to share the email, to show you why I didnt take this email as an "offer to help"...anyone that knows me, knows I bend over backwards to be nice and bring happiness to others. So, when I received this message, It saddened me.

This is the email in its entirety ....

"I mentioned on the swap page, that people need to put some kind of protection around their seeds. I can't believe these are people that regularly trade seeds. No bubblewrap. I've only received 4 cards, which really has kind of put a damper on my enjoyment in this, and not one of them had any protection on the seeds.
I know you work really hard on this swap, and I appreciate the time you put into it, but to go there day after day, during a depressing time of year anyway and see people say ' 4 more cards today !', ' 3 more cards today!'. I'm like wow...
Keiki, bless her heart posted she finally got ONE card today"

I didnt take this as an offer to help..and Smokymist I am sorry, really...that anyone is hurt or upset.

So, can we all please move on..and just enjoy the swap. My week has been unbearable, and I just want Peace and Happiness to those in this world.

o
I'm done.

are you really sorry ? because really I feel like I was lynched, and that other than the very nice emails I have received, I am not an actual person to you, but just typed words on a page.
I sent you three messages, via your Gardenweb page..check your spam mail. I offered to help, I then emailed about the bubblewrap, and the email above which was on such a bad day in my life that I care not to share it, but I was feeling sorry for the people who had emailed me.

I'm out of the swap...I keep getting very nice emails from people, and I thank you all for that, but I went earlier to sit down and pack my seeds, saw one of my kids asleep on the couch, and another there watching a Christmas movie, and realized what was most important to me right now.

o
game

Someone had said they didnt get a chance to join the BINGO..so here is a word scramble. Lets email the answer sheet to me, so everyone has a chance to play. I did some easy..some hard, so if you have kids they could help also.

Good luck !

1. sCiokeo
2. onstitewL
3. zlaridzb
4. chocaoto
5. autnacasls
6. ednnaacyc
7. mrlolieyutmtbdre
8. sevbllrelis
9. hmfoonasetrywsnt
10. seemytcihauwywrsriarmohs
11. oineidskolmack
12. leotdenesddenprriherdureoh
13. ruehteenlcsaomaacss
14. mestoarnn
15. creenisafknn
16. wnso
17. alneg
18. tzlbien
19. kcaiftuer
20. nceraioosdt

Do your best, send an email with the ones you get..Ill post the answers in a few days.

o
bingo

BINGO WORDS ....

FROSTBITE
ORNAMENTS
PEACE

o

Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite Christmas Carols: Merry Christmas to you all and thanks for helping this Newbie, I look forward to the next 15 days :)

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

o

I received 2 cards yesterday with more great seeds! jimryder (Jim & Tonya) they sent yellow foxglove, foxglove foxy mix, hollyhock mystic merlin and portulaca mix. dem-pa (Don) sent rue, white texas star hibiscus, red texas star hibiscus, ironweed, double white hollyhock, moss rose, new england aster and foxglove. Thank you very much for the seeds.
My mailing days start tomorrow, I can't wait to get the seeds I am sending in the mail.

Ginger

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 18:05

Thanks, Connie! Beautiful!

Whoo HOOO! 5 bingo words!

Hope everyone has a peaceful week!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 18:07

Wow, got another delivery in my mailbox today. Yes, once again, I am behind in checking my mailbox. Or maybe the mailman likes me so much that he delivers on Sunday, too! hahaha

Many thanks to Linda (clipclop), who sent a card with Santa's sleigh on it. She also sent louffa gourd seeds. These will be fun to grow!! Love your upcycled seed envelope, too!! I do the same thing, and use those to carry in my pocket because you just never know when you might happen upon some seeds ripe for collecting :)

Thanks also to Paula (paulan70) who sent a Holly card with zinnia seeds and cherry brandy rudbeckia seeds. This spring will be my first year to try rudbeckia from seed. I know, where have I been, right?

Cris (barefootgardener12) sent a cute card with kitties laying out in front of a fireplace and 4 different heirloom tomato varieties. My husband will be especially excited, as he is crazy about garden grown tomatoes.

Sheila (sandysoil_2008) sent a Santa card with seeds of 4 natives: milkweed, black-eyed susan, coreopsis, and agastache. Thanks so much! And I am curious about the story behind your GW name "sandysoil"

And finally, I received a big ole package of a bunch of heirloom veggie seeds from Brad (howdy, neighbor!), with lots of tips for growing them. You are so right, Brad... it is so nice to see a fellow southern on GW! Looking forward to trying these seeds in the south :)

And in regards to the ruckus... from where I'm sitting (being pretty much a newbie to GW), I didn't get the feeling or impression of any negativity on this thread, and really didn't have a clue what dan was referring to in his post about focusing on the positive. I've thought many of the posts have been helpful and/or insightful. But such is the nature of writing and missing out on inflection, tone of voice, or even facial expressions & body language. On a side note, if somebody were upset, it is my opinion that emailing privately is the appropriate course of action for the very purposes of keeping it off the forums. Just my 2 cents, which is probably only worth half a penny. LOL

>2.5 inches of rain today here in MS, and it's still raining. It's getting soggy out there. May have to paddle to work tomorrow.

Peace, Love, and BBQ!
Katie

o

Smokymist is a really great trader and person here on gardenweb who is always extremely generous and thoughtful. I don't think her intention was to cause any drama, but rather, to offer suggestions and try to help. From what I'm reading, I think all of this is a big misunderstanding. I, for one, will still be sending my seeds to smokymist, because she has been a great gardenweb friend for many years. It's too bad that this got out of hand and I feel that lots of things have been taken out of context. Since I don't want to get attacked, I'll keep my distance from this, but I do believe she was only trying to help. And, hey, we are all frustrated when we get crushed seeds! Personally, I would let the person know via email stating 'thank you so much for thinking of me and I love the seeds, but unfortunately a few got crushed' - I for one, would gladly pay the postage to get them resent to me if they were willing. I know it's the thought that counts, but I'd at least let the person know that the seeds are getting crushed in the mail, so they don't keep sending them that way in the future. Beans, for instance, always crush when they are sent without protection - other small seeds are OK, in my opinion, to be sent without protection and usually arrive OK. It's hard work to collect seeds, and it would be a bummer if I knew all of the seeds I spent hard work on got crushed by the time it got to my recipient! I would only be trying to help - and hopefully it wouldn't be taken as me being an ass. I was a newbie too - and people let me know what I was doing wrong. But hey - now I'm an expert and wouldn't have known better unless someone told me! :)

o

and Katie, you're proof positive how two people can read one post three different ways... strange, isn't it? as for your package on a Sunday, there are a number of post offices which are delivering parcels, and parcels only, on Sundays. it's the only way the p.o. can keep up.

Connie, that song is great! I especially like the last stanza...
"Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!"

o

I don't feel sorry for the person that received only 4 cards. I am a newbie and I've received only one. I always put bubble wrap around my seeds. For those who don't, why do you bother to send seeds? I hate getting crushed seeds in the mail. This was supposed to be a fun swap for me, but so far it hasn't been. I know it's supposed to be about giving, but after reading all month about people receiving so many great cards and seeds and only receiving one card, I don't know why I bothered. I spent money I really didn't have to participate it this swap. I won't be round robining again.

o

Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 20:39

Good to hear.Thank you.

Shirley

o

I don't like to get involved in the negativity but I want members to know that not all members have sent their cards yet!!!! We have all been assigned a time to mail our envelopes so that we are not receiving them all at once. It is a bit unfair to our wonderful host who has volunteered many hours to do the best she can to make this fair and fun for all to complain as many of you will still be receiving cards as the days go by.

Please refrain from posting such negative things on here.

smitties

o

Forgive me for my negativity. I've have had a really hard month. I thought this seed exchange would be fun, but so far it hasn't been.

o

I really appreciate all the flwrs4ever has done. I just feel left out.

o

Wowser it's been busy here! I've been out sick for a few days, so I have some thank yous to catch up on! I'll have to do this in 2 parts I think.

Micyrey, thank you for the sweet homemade card, with Pacific Beauty calendula and Tetra snapdragons. Thank you so much - more varieties new to me! I have one lone purple snapdragon that comes back every year, so I'm glad to have a variety of colors again.

Paulan70, I love the dried flower wreath on the card, and am wondering if I could make something like that... Thanks for the seeds! Love the moss roses. I didn't grow any the past couple of years and have really missed them. And I am in great need of blackberry lilies, since I didn't have ANY luck last year with these, and I understand they should be foolproof ;)

Ruby_Dog I love the fun winter scene. It's finally starting to look like that here in Minnesota. Thanks for all the seeds, which were on my list because I was in dire need! This wasn't a good year for cilantro here, so none of mine reseeded :( and I ran out of seed! Broccoli raab is one of my favorite greens, and one that I am out of because I'm not good at letting most of my greens go to seed. I don't think I have any scabiosa or white hibiscus and can't wait to grow those. And I can't have too many calendula or snapdragons ;)

o

Merry Christmas!!
Thanks for the cards and seeds I received in the last couple of days.

Debby, debby-1, sent a big bag of Tenderitte beans, looking forward to planting them!

Don, dem-pa, sent a huge assortment of beans, Mayflower pole beans, rattlesnake pole beans, Kentucky Wonders, Lina Sisco's Bird eye Bush, Pencil Rod Golden Wax Bush, Kengarly Yellow Eye bush, Lincoln Pod Peas, Jack be Little Mini Pumpkins, Catnip, Family Frutescens Peppers, Yellow Chili Peppers, Catnip and Cayenne Peppers. I am looking forward to setting up my pole bean trellises. I am overwhelmed with your generosity and I appreciate it.

Thanks, Sheila, Sandysoil_2008. Sandysoil_2008 sent Cilantro which I plan to use in next years batch of salsa and I have a spot where I can plant the Asiatic Mixed lilies.

Thanks again,
Ed, SalsaCanner

o

LOL I have to share a laugh on my expense. I crawled out of bed yesterday long enough to check for seeds in the mail, and was excited to open 3 more cards. I was lucky to receive 2 more packages of seeds... and holiday greetings from Kia of Brooklyn Park, with a great deal on my next oil change ;)

But! It was hard to be 33% less excited, with these 2 people to thank!

barefootgardener12 - I giggled at the caroling penguins ;) Thank you!!! for the San Marzanos!!! The very best sauce tomato, for sure. And german chamomile, yet another seed I killed off last year and needed replenished. I love the red gem marigolds. Marigolds are my all around favorite flower, and I use it to fill in every possible empty space in my gardens.

sandycoil_2008, Thank you for the beautiful card. We don't decorate much at all for Christmas, so your card covers all the bases, including the fireplace we don't have ;) The Queen Sophia marigolds are another variety I don't have. I'm thrilled to get mixed snapdragons, since that's my husband's favorite flower, and the neighborhood kids love them too. I've had to be selfish with my one sad returning snapdragon, but not next year. And lupine, another seed on my list because I didn't do it right last year ;)

o

Zackey, I don't think you have received the card I sent you yet have you? I picked you for two reasons, you are new like me, and your name is at the end of the alphabet and I have always had a tender heart for the kids in school that had to wait until very last because their name was at the end of the alphabet. I mailed the cards last monday and people are just now starting to get them. Don't give up so soon, the elves are just taking longer to get to you!! :)

o
RE: Genus and species of foxtail grass for KCHD

This was growing here when I bought the house in 1990 and I never really knew what it was until I happened to see it identified as foxtail grass in a Birds and Blooms magazine, and then I noticed a couple of years ago how the heads (or tails, so to speak) were loaded with seeds so I started harvesting them and offered them on the gardenweb and people expressed a lot of interest so I've harvested some every year since then. I looked on the internet and think maybe they are called Alopecurus aequalis? - orange foxtail? The little tails do have an orangish color. Hope they grow well for you.

o

Well said, Katie.

I'd like to send a big thank you to Michelle/micyrey for the beautiful card...I really love it!

o

Hello
Sorry to be MIA, my computer is being stupid, I talked my hubby into leaving me his iPad this week so I can get on line. I want to post some thank yous. ...
Chefconnie sent me a nice hand made card with radish, cosmos, basil, carrots, fennel and pie pumpkins.
Jimryder sent me lavender cat nip and red cosmos.
Kchd sent me wildflower mix
Margarita10 sent me orange and yellow cosmos.
Sandy soil sent me basil, cosmos, and coneflower.
Salsa canner( funny I'm a salsa canner too,ummm salsa) sorry got distracted sent me sunflowers, parsley, radish, carrots, onion, cosmos, basil, toms.

Thank you very much, love all the seeds and cards. My card ribbon is looking great. I saved my cards from last year and had fun looking at them.
Happy mail boxing.
Michelle

o

Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 8:50

Thank you, GG for the info and story behind the foxtail grass! Oh, yes I know that Birds & Blooms magazine. It's a good one! And how very exciting to have a new native grass to grow! The grasses are hard to identify, and often overlooked, and way under-appreciated in my opinion. Thanks again!

Katie

o

I received beautiful cards from sandysoil_2008, micrey, one daylily, and xiangirl. Looking forward to starting all these wonderful seeds!
Thank you all so much!
Tonya
:)

o

This swap is a lot of fun:)
I came home to a couple packages this weekend:)
Don thank you for the love in a puff- I can not wait to try these- I just love the seeds:)the mayflower beans and rattlesnake bean- they are gorgeous! Thank you also for the larkspur, and anise:)

Chris- psuedachris- thank you for the greyheaded coneflower- I have just the spot for them and for the sultan's crescent pole beans- they sound wonderful:)

Thank you so much- these were wonderful to home to after a long day of work:)

o

I want to apologize if I sent cards with postage due, please let me know and I will reimburse you. Wad in a rush and didn't get into the post office.

Received a card from jimrider with Gold Metal Tomato, purple anemone and White Knight Salvia. Thanks Jim and Tonya!

From Sheila (sandysoil-2008) a card with Cherry Brandy,Lance Leaf Coreopsis, Agastache, and Dianthis. Thank you!

From dempa a card with Goblin Gallidara, Hardy Hibiscus mix, Mexican Sunflower,Lady Baltimore Hibiscus,Dark Red Amaranthus,and Ageratum. Thanks Don!

From micyrey a handmaid card with cherry tomato andRutgars Tomato. Thanks Michelle!

From Paulan20,Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia. Thanks Paula!

Suzanne hibiscusfan

o

My cards are ready to go...I'm also mailing from home and, though I hope there won't be any, would like to reimburse any postage due charges. Please let me know.
I had great fun putting everything together this year. I had the seeds all packed up before cards started* arriving, so if you get something from me that you've already received from someone else, so sorry!
Happy, safe holidays to everyone!
Janine

This post was edited by jaynine on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 15:16

o

I got to wonderful cards over the weekend,
The first is from Don dempa and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and siberian iris.
The other one was from shelia sandysoil2008 and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and 4 o'clocks.

Thank you so much I love the cards and the great seeds I got.
Lisa
Lysa39

o

I got to wonderful cards over the weekend,
The first is from Don dempa and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and siberian iris.
The other one was from shelia sandysoil2008 and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and 4 o'clocks.

Thank you so much I love the cards and the great seeds I got.
Lisa
Lysa39

o

I'm sorry I lost it last night. My apologies to all. My cat has been sick and alot of other things are riling me up in my life. I know that being a newbie, I probably won't get many cards. I didn't know that the biggest mailers are at the end. It has been hard coming here every day and seeing the posts of how many cards and seeds others are getting. I've never done a round robin exchange before. I know it is better to give than receive I really enjoyed sharing my seeds with a few of you. Sorry for my impatience. I did get a beautiful handmade card from chefconnie with some wonderful seeds in it. I can hardly wait to plant it. Sorry you didn't see my earlier post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here