Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: secret santa 5th year thank you's and games

flwrs4ever
11 years ago

PLEASE post here once the second thread is full...Thank you's, games and anything Christmas related :)

PLEASE, take time to go to the rate and review forum and post a review for those that mailed to you !

Comments (150)

• WonderWeasel
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just realized I posted one of my "thank yous" to the other thread, so I figured I'd repost it here so Michelle doesn't think one of her cards is out in limbo somewhere:

Received my first card today, from detroitgirl77 (Michelle). Before I even opened the card, the delightfully pungent aroma of licorice emanated from it; Anise seeds! In addition to that, she also sent me a worthy adversary to my 3 year-old Bhut Jolokia plant: The 'Butch T' strain of the Trinidad Scorpion pepper. I am going to have so much fun watching friends and people at the farmer's market next year eating these! Thanks Michelle!

--Jordan (WonderWeasel)

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

***sigh***
    well, it looks like I've upset at least one person, and that was NOT my intentions yesterday. yesterday I sat down and caught up on reading what everyone was posting, and it looked to me like we were getting off track in our focus on giving in this swap, and all I wanted to do was head off one of those GW blow-ups that seem to occur all too often. Truly, one bad apple, eh?
    Anyway, when people e-mail me about what's going wrong with a swap, or they disagree with something I've said, I do not like to keep it private because that is how those "he said, she said" things start. This is what I received in my e-mail today...

"I was having a good time and offered to help with some of the people not getting alot of cards, because no matter what you all say, it doesn't feel very good for those people to get a smattering of cards while others are getting loaded. It makes a person feel like they are not liked, simply put, or that's what somebody said to me. So..I send a private email to the leader of that swap, and from what i'm seeing with the innuendo she is apparently sending emails about my email to others ? Gardenweb drama, yet again..one reason I don't trade as much as I did years ago.
    So I really am feeling crappy right about now, between the shooting, and what I feel like was your fussing at me on there. Merry Christmas !"

I will not say who it came from. I will not say anything more about this. However, if that person continues to e-mail me, I will post their e-mails for you all to share because I won't allow them to remain private. It takes two people to have an argument, and I'm not going to be one of those people. If you disagree with something I've said, say it here in front of everyone or keep it to yourself. I don't expect everyone to agree with me all the time, just as no one should expect me to agree with them all the time. It's just not going to happen, and what makes Life fun is our differences.

Rather than being negative, look at the positive things in life. Hug your children. Enjoy the beauty of a flower. Pet a dog or cat. Enjoy a good meal.

If you haven't received many cards yet, don't dispair! This swap is only halfway done, and who knows what's in store for you??? One of these days you just might be posting and allowing us all to share in your happiness that you received 10 cards in one day! And lastly, let's face it, according to the Mayans we've got less than a week left, so do you really want to spend your last few days worrying about what you didn't get in the mail? Get out there and live it up, make some noise, and enjoy your pets, children (are they really all that different?), friends, and family.
    ===========================================================

Hey dirtdaddy! Are you available for babysitting? I'd forgotten about how much energy kittens have, and Grumpy is sure reminding everyone! Last night I was listening to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack, and you can see what happened to Bump!

• detroitgirl77
    11 years ago

Wonderweasel-I did see your thank you post on the other thread. :)

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Good grief! Sorry Dan, .....
    The rest of this post was redacted because I was really po'ed when I typed it.
    Thank goodness we can edit our posts now.

This post was edited by poisondartfrog on Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 8:42

• sjc48
    11 years ago

I'm not so much riled as sad.
    This is my first year in this swap and right from the beginning I have been impressed, starting with the fact that I actually saved enough seeds of different kinds to be able to participate. Everytime I saw something I had on somebody's wish list, it was like, "Whoa, another one!" Everyone's generousity has been so special to me. I have enjoyed the whole process and will participate again next year.

I tend to ignore negativity whereever I find it. It's a training process. Nothing can take away the excitement, thankfulness and joy I've gotten from this swap. I just feel sad that others are unhappy with something this great.
    Shirley

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Lol, don't sweat it Alana, I'm not going to waste my time on it. I've got better things to worry about, like whether or not you're going to bring that dog over to my house...lol! I could probably get away though, how does it see through all that hair?

Have a fantastic day, I am!
    After all, it's December 16th, and there's almost no snow on the ground hereabouts, which is very unusual. Today the streets are wet from an overnight rain, it was pea soup foggy earlier, and the temps are staying around 43F today. I LOVE IT!!! (I did ask Santa for a brown christmas, ya think I'm going to get it?)

Hugs all around!
    Dan

• Ruby_Dog
    11 years ago

Yesterday I received a bubble envelope from Don/Dem_Pa filled with a wonderful card and lots of seeds!! He sent Bull's Blood Beet (been wanting to try these), Broccoli de cicco (a favorite), Peach leaved bellflowers (wow) and red noodle beans--all from my wishlist. Thanks so much Don!!

This is my first time doing any round robin, and it has certainly been a fun time. I'm hoping all my cards arrived OK and learning a lot about trading.

Counting my blessings here in VA,

Betsy

• keiki
    11 years ago

Loving those pet pictures! What type of dog is that poisondartfrog? Is that your baby? Are there eyes in there? :)

I am seeing some interesting seeds to research. I love to check out pictures of them on the internet, what did we do before the net?

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh Alana, what a cute dog! And all that hair! I can't believe Christmas is so close...next weekend here. 2 of my kids have shifts Christmas Eve and Christmas day. But then hospice patients and the adult day care patients also have needs for some of those people are alone on the holidays.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Ellie

• kchd
    11 years ago

I am running a day behind checking the mailbox. Friday's mail brought me 2 cards from the SSS festivities.

Michelle (micyrey) sent a lovely, glittery hand-made card with Calendula seeds and Bachelor button seeds. Love your creativity, Michelle. The homemade cards are my favorite. If I'd had more time this year, I would have gotten crafty, too. But you and Heidi are inspiring me to plan for next year!

And Grdngramma sent a festive holiday card along with seeds of mixed small gourds (ooo, this should make for a much anticipated surprise in the summer) and foxtail grass. I do love grasses. GG, any idea what the genus or species is?

Thanks so much to both of you lovely & thoughtful ladies!!

Well, if we're gonna be posting silly critter pictures...

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Dan, I've lived in SE Michigan for 16-17 years and we've only ever had 2 white Christmas's. I thought it would be different up where you are, but even so, if you want a brown Christmas, then I'll wish for one for ya!

Cute pup, Alana!

I've been trying to get a pic of my cats under the Christmas tree. But they hide under the tree skirt, very frustrating!

I am really surprised to find so many GW members from Michigan, on this swap, and they are all close to me! Where have you all been?! I just recently "met" a gal on another swap, from PawPaw, Michigan, a town I've never heard of!

Okay, I'm starting to babble, so will quit and go try to finish the dusting. Why did I buy bookcases THAT BIG!
    Shirley!

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

I received wonderful cards and seeds from the following gardeners. Thank you so much you are all so kind!!

rubydog- Betsy
    debby-1- Debbie
    Lois- Lois

Cindy :)

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

I received wonderful cards and seeds from the following gardeners. Thank you so much you are all so kind!!

rubydog- Betsy
    debby-1- Debbie
    Lois- Lois

Cindy :)

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Shirley, I'll take all the help I can get in making it a brown christmas up here. I used to have them in Tennessee, and there's nothing wrong with them at all! My only dilemna now stems from having put the lawn mower already. If this warm weather continues, I'm going to have to get it out of the shed again...lol! Not that I'm complaining!

Last night when I went to bed, Grumpy was inside the christmas tree, and Bump and Stella were on either side of it messing with the bulbs. Yes, it's mischief they're making, but at least they're working together, right?

• SmokyMist
    11 years ago

Ok wow....Dan....everyone, that email was from me. I'm going to set the record straight, as I am very experienced in Gardenweb drama, and it is the reason I stopped trading so much.
    I originally sent an email to the owner of this swap , because a few people had talked to me via email ( and no out of respect for their privacy I won't post their emailed public ), wondering why they hadn't received many cards.
    They didn't want a ton of card, no, but one of them had only received one card, and as much as he/she loved giving, they were also like a kid running to the mailbox everyday to see if there was a card for them. Nope, nothing would make me reveal this person's name.
    So..I emailed the owner of this swap to see if Maybe I should change my 'send to' list so that I could include some of the people not getting as many cards instead of the ones who were.
    I also emailed privately my concerns about the use of bubblewrap because I'm not sure about you all but in a regular seed trade I expect it, because it protects the precious seeds.
    Well I never got an email back, so I came here and posted about the bubblewrap in public, and next thing I know it starts.. with the post from the organizer of the swap that she is sorry I'm unhappy, etc..etc...
    I wasn't unhappy, but since her one post, everyone else seemed to jump on the bandwagon. I had to explain in public what I meant, but nobody seemed to listen, and then Dan jumped on his soapbox ( his words )...I started to get a little miffed. How can one private email to the organizer with me offering to switch my 'send to' list to include people that weren't receiving as many envelopes be taken this way or taken SO far out of context to where my joy in this swap was totally removed, sucked completely out of me.
    Once again, with Dan posting my email, it is going to be taken out of context...Once again I was talking about the people I offered to send extra cards to, not myself.
    Anyone that knows me on here knows I go way back, and I very often just give plants away to somebody posting they need them, for a special project, if a storm wipes out their garden, etc...I am very generous with my seeds. Heck I even offered free seeds in one of my articles for the magazine, to which I had multiple SASE's sent in.
    So here is what I will do...because you all seem heck bent on seeing bits and pieces of conversations and taking things out of context. I will ask that nobody please send ME anymore cards..I will send out what I have on my list, but will not be coming back here for the drama.
    You all claim to be so into the spirit of giving, but look at how little by little you all ate up the bits of this, to where one person's 'want' to help, ended up in all of this drama ?
    You all have a wonderful Christmas...
    I still can't believe all of this happened because I was trying to help some other people out . But that is life , people are just out there waiting on something to latch onto, to make something out of nothing...
    I wont' be coming back here to check messages, have a great spring gardening season, and for those that receive my seeds, I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed growing and harvesting them.

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the compliments on my dog-it's not mine, lol.
    My dog would never embarrass himself like that.
    Kobi is the reserved type.

• SmokyMist
    11 years ago

I do have one last thing to share. When I emailed Dan back and said to him ' I totally agree with that' , on his comment on how this swap is about giving and not receiving. this is the 'nice' email I get back.

to fai34
    please stop writing to me. I have nothing further to say to you, nor do I wish to "hear" what you have to say.

Not such a nice guy huh ? but he sure does like to come here and stir the pot and seems to love the attention.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

thank you for sharing my e-mail. it shows that I do not wish to carry on with your negativity, and have nothing further to say.

Kym, please do not allow one person to taint this swap for you. It's a fabulous swap, and usually is full of happiness and joy. It will be so again.

(signed)
    the Pot-stirring Attention-lover
    (I've never been called that, that's just funny)

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    11 years ago

This is my first time with the Secret Santa Swap. I've been having fun with it even though I know I won't receive as many cards as I've sent out - but that's OK. I know that Kym recruited Santa's Elves to send to folks that weren't going to receive many cards. I'm just sad to see folks becoming disappointed and upset with what was supposed to be fun in the holiday spirit. I think miscommunication and not having the full story created this unfortunate situation. The terrible event in Connecticut should put these hurt feelings in perspective. Just want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and blessed Holiday Season.

• msirie
    11 years ago

Again, I want to say how very pleased I am. Yesterday i went to the mail box and I rec'ed Zinna mix and Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia from paulan70. Thank you so much. I am going to plant both the very first chance I get.

Additionally, I rec'ed a huge package from Brad. What a welcome surprise. I rec'ed lots and lots of goodies. Too many to list. Some of my favorites are Okra. I love these so much. Also lots of pumkin, tomato, holly and lots more. But my very favorite has to be Canary Island Date Palm. I just hope they will grow here in Georgia.

And a big thank you to Kym for making this possible!

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received a message about the seeds ..but my internet was down, and when it came back I scurried to do the countless emails, with who people mailed to, so I could get emails going to the 'special elves'. In the rules of the swap, and on the site it is explained how to mail seeds. This swap has always been just a bit more relaxed, but people always have sent with care. I also take the time to explain it to any newbie when they are asking how the swap works.

If, smokeymist had sent an emailing asking "how can I help" I would have responded with the elf list. I spent 5 hours with my daughters help, counting cards..to ensure everyone would be happy. I also state, that I will ensure everyone receives 5 cards...so EVERYONE knows going in. This swap was done..out of the idea of giving to others to share in the spirit of the holidays. I have done this swap for five years, and this is the first time I have heard of someone being unhappy..and as I am a people pleaser, this really saddened me. I spread the mailings out ALL month, with the biggest mailers at the end, so that they have enough time to get the cards completed.

I feel I need to share the email, to show you why I didnt take this email as an "offer to help"...anyone that knows me, knows I bend over backwards to be nice and bring happiness to others. So, when I received this message, It saddened me.

This is the email in its entirety ....

"I mentioned on the swap page, that people need to put some kind of protection around their seeds. I can't believe these are people that regularly trade seeds. No bubblewrap. I've only received 4 cards, which really has kind of put a damper on my enjoyment in this, and not one of them had any protection on the seeds.
    I know you work really hard on this swap, and I appreciate the time you put into it, but to go there day after day, during a depressing time of year anyway and see people say ' 4 more cards today !', ' 3 more cards today!'. I'm like wow...
    Keiki, bless her heart posted she finally got ONE card today"

I didnt take this as an offer to help..and Smokymist I am sorry, really...that anyone is hurt or upset.

So, can we all please move on..and just enjoy the swap. My week has been unbearable, and I just want Peace and Happiness to those in this world.

• SmokyMist
    11 years ago

are you really sorry ? because really I feel like I was lynched, and that other than the very nice emails I have received, I am not an actual person to you, but just typed words on a page.
    I sent you three messages, via your Gardenweb page..check your spam mail. I offered to help, I then emailed about the bubblewrap, and the email above which was on such a bad day in my life that I care not to share it, but I was feeling sorry for the people who had emailed me.

I'm out of the swap...I keep getting very nice emails from people, and I thank you all for that, but I went earlier to sit down and pack my seeds, saw one of my kids asleep on the couch, and another there watching a Christmas movie, and realized what was most important to me right now.

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Someone had said they didnt get a chance to join the BINGO..so here is a word scramble. Lets email the answer sheet to me, so everyone has a chance to play. I did some easy..some hard, so if you have kids they could help also.

Good luck !

1. sCiokeo
    2. onstitewL
    3. zlaridzb
    4. chocaoto
    5. autnacasls
    6. ednnaacyc
    7. mrlolieyutmtbdre
    8. sevbllrelis
    9. hmfoonasetrywsnt
    10. seemytcihauwywrsriarmohs
    11. oineidskolmack
    12. leotdenesddenprriherdureoh
    13. ruehteenlcsaomaacss
    14. mestoarnn
    15. creenisafknn
    16. wnso
    17. alneg
    18. tzlbien
    19. kcaiftuer
    20. nceraioosdt

Do your best, send an email with the ones you get..Ill post the answers in a few days.

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BINGO WORDS ....

FROSTBITE
    ORNAMENTS
    PEACE

• chefconnie
    11 years ago

Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite Christmas Carols: Merry Christmas to you all and thanks for helping this Newbie, I look forward to the next 15 days :)

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
    Their old familiar carols play,
    And wild and sweet the words repeat
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
    The belfries of all Christendom
    Had rolled along the unbroken song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
    "There is no peace on earth," I said,
    "For hate is strong and mocks the song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
    "God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
    The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
    With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
    The world revolved from night to day,
    A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
    Of peace on earth, good will to men!

• ggwrn
    11 years ago

I received 2 cards yesterday with more great seeds! jimryder (Jim & Tonya) they sent yellow foxglove, foxglove foxy mix, hollyhock mystic merlin and portulaca mix. dem-pa (Don) sent rue, white texas star hibiscus, red texas star hibiscus, ironweed, double white hollyhock, moss rose, new england aster and foxglove. Thank you very much for the seeds.
    My mailing days start tomorrow, I can't wait to get the seeds I am sending in the mail.

Ginger

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Thanks, Connie! Beautiful!

Whoo HOOO! 5 bingo words!

Hope everyone has a peaceful week!
    Shirley!

• kchd
    11 years ago

Wow, got another delivery in my mailbox today. Yes, once again, I am behind in checking my mailbox. Or maybe the mailman likes me so much that he delivers on Sunday, too! hahaha

Many thanks to Linda (clipclop), who sent a card with Santa's sleigh on it. She also sent louffa gourd seeds. These will be fun to grow!! Love your upcycled seed envelope, too!! I do the same thing, and use those to carry in my pocket because you just never know when you might happen upon some seeds ripe for collecting :)

Thanks also to Paula (paulan70) who sent a Holly card with zinnia seeds and cherry brandy rudbeckia seeds. This spring will be my first year to try rudbeckia from seed. I know, where have I been, right?

Cris (barefootgardener12) sent a cute card with kitties laying out in front of a fireplace and 4 different heirloom tomato varieties. My husband will be especially excited, as he is crazy about garden grown tomatoes.

Sheila (sandysoil_2008) sent a Santa card with seeds of 4 natives: milkweed, black-eyed susan, coreopsis, and agastache. Thanks so much! And I am curious about the story behind your GW name "sandysoil"

And finally, I received a big ole package of a bunch of heirloom veggie seeds from Brad (howdy, neighbor!), with lots of tips for growing them. You are so right, Brad... it is so nice to see a fellow southern on GW! Looking forward to trying these seeds in the south :)

And in regards to the ruckus... from where I'm sitting (being pretty much a newbie to GW), I didn't get the feeling or impression of any negativity on this thread, and really didn't have a clue what dan was referring to in his post about focusing on the positive. I've thought many of the posts have been helpful and/or insightful. But such is the nature of writing and missing out on inflection, tone of voice, or even facial expressions & body language. On a side note, if somebody were upset, it is my opinion that emailing privately is the appropriate course of action for the very purposes of keeping it off the forums. Just my 2 cents, which is probably only worth half a penny. LOL

>2.5 inches of rain today here in MS, and it's still raining. It's getting soggy out there. May have to paddle to work tomorrow.

Peace, Love, and BBQ!
    Katie

• redthreaddiy
    11 years ago

Smokymist is a really great trader and person here on gardenweb who is always extremely generous and thoughtful. I don't think her intention was to cause any drama, but rather, to offer suggestions and try to help. From what I'm reading, I think all of this is a big misunderstanding. I, for one, will still be sending my seeds to smokymist, because she has been a great gardenweb friend for many years. It's too bad that this got out of hand and I feel that lots of things have been taken out of context. Since I don't want to get attacked, I'll keep my distance from this, but I do believe she was only trying to help. And, hey, we are all frustrated when we get crushed seeds! Personally, I would let the person know via email stating 'thank you so much for thinking of me and I love the seeds, but unfortunately a few got crushed' - I for one, would gladly pay the postage to get them resent to me if they were willing. I know it's the thought that counts, but I'd at least let the person know that the seeds are getting crushed in the mail, so they don't keep sending them that way in the future. Beans, for instance, always crush when they are sent without protection - other small seeds are OK, in my opinion, to be sent without protection and usually arrive OK. It's hard work to collect seeds, and it would be a bummer if I knew all of the seeds I spent hard work on got crushed by the time it got to my recipient! I would only be trying to help - and hopefully it wouldn't be taken as me being an ass. I was a newbie too - and people let me know what I was doing wrong. But hey - now I'm an expert and wouldn't have known better unless someone told me! :)

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

and Katie, you're proof positive how two people can read one post three different ways... strange, isn't it? as for your package on a Sunday, there are a number of post offices which are delivering parcels, and parcels only, on Sundays. it's the only way the p.o. can keep up.

Connie, that song is great! I especially like the last stanza...
    "Till, ringing singing, on its way,
    The world revolved from night to day,
    A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
    Of peace on earth, good will to men!"

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I don't feel sorry for the person that received only 4 cards. I am a newbie and I've received only one. I always put bubble wrap around my seeds. For those who don't, why do you bother to send seeds? I hate getting crushed seeds in the mail. This was supposed to be a fun swap for me, but so far it hasn't been. I know it's supposed to be about giving, but after reading all month about people receiving so many great cards and seeds and only receiving one card, I don't know why I bothered. I spent money I really didn't have to participate it this swap. I won't be round robining again.

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Good to hear.Thank you.

Shirley

• smitties
    11 years ago

I don't like to get involved in the negativity but I want members to know that not all members have sent their cards yet!!!! We have all been assigned a time to mail our envelopes so that we are not receiving them all at once. It is a bit unfair to our wonderful host who has volunteered many hours to do the best she can to make this fair and fun for all to complain as many of you will still be receiving cards as the days go by.

Please refrain from posting such negative things on here.

smitties

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Forgive me for my negativity. I've have had a really hard month. I thought this seed exchange would be fun, but so far it hasn't been.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I really appreciate all the flwrs4ever has done. I just feel left out.

• katkni
    11 years ago

Wowser it's been busy here! I've been out sick for a few days, so I have some thank yous to catch up on! I'll have to do this in 2 parts I think.

Micyrey, thank you for the sweet homemade card, with Pacific Beauty calendula and Tetra snapdragons. Thank you so much - more varieties new to me! I have one lone purple snapdragon that comes back every year, so I'm glad to have a variety of colors again.

Paulan70, I love the dried flower wreath on the card, and am wondering if I could make something like that... Thanks for the seeds! Love the moss roses. I didn't grow any the past couple of years and have really missed them. And I am in great need of blackberry lilies, since I didn't have ANY luck last year with these, and I understand they should be foolproof ;)

Ruby_Dog I love the fun winter scene. It's finally starting to look like that here in Minnesota. Thanks for all the seeds, which were on my list because I was in dire need! This wasn't a good year for cilantro here, so none of mine reseeded :( and I ran out of seed! Broccoli raab is one of my favorite greens, and one that I am out of because I'm not good at letting most of my greens go to seed. I don't think I have any scabiosa or white hibiscus and can't wait to grow those. And I can't have too many calendula or snapdragons ;)

• SalsaCanner
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas!!
    Thanks for the cards and seeds I received in the last couple of days.

Debby, debby-1, sent a big bag of Tenderitte beans, looking forward to planting them!

Don, dem-pa, sent a huge assortment of beans, Mayflower pole beans, rattlesnake pole beans, Kentucky Wonders, Lina Sisco's Bird eye Bush, Pencil Rod Golden Wax Bush, Kengarly Yellow Eye bush, Lincoln Pod Peas, Jack be Little Mini Pumpkins, Catnip, Family Frutescens Peppers, Yellow Chili Peppers, Catnip and Cayenne Peppers. I am looking forward to setting up my pole bean trellises. I am overwhelmed with your generosity and I appreciate it.

Thanks, Sheila, Sandysoil_2008. Sandysoil_2008 sent Cilantro which I plan to use in next years batch of salsa and I have a spot where I can plant the Asiatic Mixed lilies.

Thanks again,
    Ed, SalsaCanner

• katkni
    11 years ago

LOL I have to share a laugh on my expense. I crawled out of bed yesterday long enough to check for seeds in the mail, and was excited to open 3 more cards. I was lucky to receive 2 more packages of seeds... and holiday greetings from Kia of Brooklyn Park, with a great deal on my next oil change ;)

But! It was hard to be 33% less excited, with these 2 people to thank!

barefootgardener12 - I giggled at the caroling penguins ;) Thank you!!! for the San Marzanos!!! The very best sauce tomato, for sure. And german chamomile, yet another seed I killed off last year and needed replenished. I love the red gem marigolds. Marigolds are my all around favorite flower, and I use it to fill in every possible empty space in my gardens.

sandycoil_2008, Thank you for the beautiful card. We don't decorate much at all for Christmas, so your card covers all the bases, including the fireplace we don't have ;) The Queen Sophia marigolds are another variety I don't have. I'm thrilled to get mixed snapdragons, since that's my husband's favorite flower, and the neighborhood kids love them too. I've had to be selfish with my one sad returning snapdragon, but not next year. And lupine, another seed on my list because I didn't do it right last year ;)

• chefconnie
    11 years ago

Zackey, I don't think you have received the card I sent you yet have you? I picked you for two reasons, you are new like me, and your name is at the end of the alphabet and I have always had a tender heart for the kids in school that had to wait until very last because their name was at the end of the alphabet. I mailed the cards last monday and people are just now starting to get them. Don't give up so soon, the elves are just taking longer to get to you!! :)

• grdngramma
    11 years ago

This was growing here when I bought the house in 1990 and I never really knew what it was until I happened to see it identified as foxtail grass in a Birds and Blooms magazine, and then I noticed a couple of years ago how the heads (or tails, so to speak) were loaded with seeds so I started harvesting them and offered them on the gardenweb and people expressed a lot of interest so I've harvested some every year since then. I looked on the internet and think maybe they are called Alopecurus aequalis? - orange foxtail? The little tails do have an orangish color. Hope they grow well for you.

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Well said, Katie.

I'd like to send a big thank you to Michelle/micyrey for the beautiful card...I really love it!

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

Hello
    Sorry to be MIA, my computer is being stupid, I talked my hubby into leaving me his iPad this week so I can get on line. I want to post some thank yous. ...
    Chefconnie sent me a nice hand made card with radish, cosmos, basil, carrots, fennel and pie pumpkins.
    Jimryder sent me lavender cat nip and red cosmos.
    Kchd sent me wildflower mix
    Margarita10 sent me orange and yellow cosmos.
    Sandy soil sent me basil, cosmos, and coneflower.
    Salsa canner( funny I'm a salsa canner too,ummm salsa) sorry got distracted sent me sunflowers, parsley, radish, carrots, onion, cosmos, basil, toms.

Thank you very much, love all the seeds and cards. My card ribbon is looking great. I saved my cards from last year and had fun looking at them.
    Happy mail boxing.
    Michelle

• kchd
    11 years ago

Thank you, GG for the info and story behind the foxtail grass! Oh, yes I know that Birds & Blooms magazine. It's a good one! And how very exciting to have a new native grass to grow! The grasses are hard to identify, and often overlooked, and way under-appreciated in my opinion. Thanks again!

Katie

• jimryder
    11 years ago

I received beautiful cards from sandysoil_2008, micrey, one daylily, and xiangirl. Looking forward to starting all these wonderful seeds!
    Thank you all so much!
    Tonya
    :)

• jlee160
    11 years ago

This swap is a lot of fun:)
    I came home to a couple packages this weekend:)
    Don thank you for the love in a puff- I can not wait to try these- I just love the seeds:)the mayflower beans and rattlesnake bean- they are gorgeous! Thank you also for the larkspur, and anise:)

Chris- psuedachris- thank you for the greyheaded coneflower- I have just the spot for them and for the sultan's crescent pole beans- they sound wonderful:)

Thank you so much- these were wonderful to home to after a long day of work:)

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I want to apologize if I sent cards with postage due, please let me know and I will reimburse you. Wad in a rush and didn't get into the post office.

Received a card from jimrider with Gold Metal Tomato, purple anemone and White Knight Salvia. Thanks Jim and Tonya!

From Sheila (sandysoil-2008) a card with Cherry Brandy,Lance Leaf Coreopsis, Agastache, and Dianthis. Thank you!

From dempa a card with Goblin Gallidara, Hardy Hibiscus mix, Mexican Sunflower,Lady Baltimore Hibiscus,Dark Red Amaranthus,and Ageratum. Thanks Don!

From micyrey a handmaid card with cherry tomato andRutgars Tomato. Thanks Michelle!

From Paulan20,Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia. Thanks Paula!

Suzanne hibiscusfan

• jaynine
    11 years ago

My cards are ready to go...I'm also mailing from home and, though I hope there won't be any, would like to reimburse any postage due charges. Please let me know.
    I had great fun putting everything together this year. I had the seeds all packed up before cards started* arriving, so if you get something from me that you've already received from someone else, so sorry!
    Happy, safe holidays to everyone!
    Janine

This post was edited by jaynine on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 15:16

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I got to wonderful cards over the weekend,
    The first is from Don dempa and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and siberian iris.
    The other one was from shelia sandysoil2008 and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and 4 o'clocks.

Thank you so much I love the cards and the great seeds I got.
    Lisa
    Lysa39

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I got to wonderful cards over the weekend,
    The first is from Don dempa and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and siberian iris.
    The other one was from shelia sandysoil2008 and i got cilantro, gaillardia, and 4 o'clocks.

Thank you so much I love the cards and the great seeds I got.
    Lisa
    Lysa39

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I'm sorry I lost it last night. My apologies to all. My cat has been sick and alot of other things are riling me up in my life. I know that being a newbie, I probably won't get many cards. I didn't know that the biggest mailers are at the end. It has been hard coming here every day and seeing the posts of how many cards and seeds others are getting. I've never done a round robin exchange before. I know it is better to give than receive I really enjoyed sharing my seeds with a few of you. Sorry for my impatience. I did get a beautiful handmade card from chefconnie with some wonderful seeds in it. I can hardly wait to plant it. Sorry you didn't see my earlier post.