Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Syncarpa vestita

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 04 at 1:48

Anyone growing this plant in a mediterranean type climate outside South Africa? It seems easy enough to get started from seed and does well in the nursery as a young plant, but once planted out with our winter rains it seems to suffer considerable die back. As I remember seeing this is the Cape fynbos, it appeared to prefer sandy/gritty soils and full sun. Does it also suffer as a young landscape plant in South Africa in more fertile garden soils with heavy winter rains?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Syncarpa vestita

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 1, 04 at 23:05

I realize I had misspelled the Genus, it should be Syncarpha vestita... I guess this isn't a popular plant there in South Africa, or is it that the Cape Region gardeners are poorly represented on this forum? This species is so showy in the Cape, and looked to be so carefree in habitat, but this doesn't always translate into a good garden plant in another mediterranean climate such as coastal California. We have had so much rain and cool weather this winter that many South African plants that prefer it dryer and warmer have been having problems with rotting out. Fortunately the longer days and warmer temperatures of early spring are coming to the rescue. The Ursinia anthemoides` Phylica plumosa, Grielum humifusum and various Heliophila and Nemesia strumosa varieties are all in full bloom here already, and not minding the rain and cool weather at all! Several Leucadendrons and Leucospermums are also blooming already, as is Psoralea pinnata, and the Pychnostachys urticifolia is just finsihing up blooming here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here