Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxa44

What do you do for grass?

jxa44
19 years ago

I'm planting an allee of italian cypress and would like to put grass (or grass like plants) at their feet.

I live in an area that frequently freezes in the winter. We get tons of rain (measured by the feet) and in the summer it gets 90 degrees or higher.

I was thinking about clover? Your suggestions?

Thanx,

Comments (5)

• georgeinbandonoregon
    19 years ago

clover is nice but it attracts bees which might make it dicey to walk bare foot on. improved turf-type tall fescues are deep-rooted and relatively drought tolerant (but still need weekly watering during the summer dry season). chanomile is a classic non-grass a "lawn" material but it is slow to start and some have even experimented with yarrow but my guess is that a grass like fescue is still the easiest way to get a walkable surface. check your local garden center or nursery, some should carry grass seed mixtures that are designed for your particular conditions. you might consider a mixture of hard-scape (paving) and thyme planted in the cracks between which is quite compatable with med-style gardening

• jxa44
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanx georgeinbandonoregon,

I was thinking about thyme -- woolly thyme -- but have a large area to cover, so would need to purchase seed in bulk. I don't want to water established plants -- so that's why grass is out for me. Don't suppose you know of a good source to purchase thyme seeds in bulk?

• georgeinbandonoregon
    19 years ago

just in case the concept has not come up, thyme is a lovely groundcover but imhop it is not a walkable surface except for very occassionally and it will need water and tlc the first year. you might consider making the pathway a thyme "lawn" with large concrete, tile, or flagstone pavers set in the lawn so that most of your foot falls go on the pavers and not on the plants. not sure where to find bulk quantities of thyme seed---most thyme is sold as flats that you cut into pieces and plant to grow together over a year or so. another consideration is go strictly for a gravel/tile/stone or combo pathway and let the plant material grow along and "soften" the perimiters of the hardscape---if you have a low wall or overhang, creeping rosemary is a classic med-plant to soften hard edges and add a living green dimension to the landscape.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Are there any south african navtive plants that anyone would suggest as a "lawn" ground cover?

• MarcR
    19 years ago

I try to avoid Poaceae (Grass) in mu garden. It always tries to invade my flower beds. Sagina has the look of a well manicured lawn. Some species bear quite a bit of traffic and you don't need to mow. Another interesting option is Sisyrinchium. It tolerates early spring mowing and species are available which flower in blue, yellow, pink, and white.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor