Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Clivia in a bed

Posted by allyson00 z9 Houston (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 26, 04 at 10:57

I found a beautiful Clivia at the nursery and would like to plant it in a bed instead of leaving it in a pot. However, in all the info I've been reading about this plant none of them mention it being in a garden. The spot I picked out is in my semi-shaded bed near the pond which is under a large tree with a high canopy. Do they have to be rootbound to bloom? I keep the area watered but not waterlogged, so I'm not too concerned with rotting the root.

Thanks
Allyson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Clivia in a bed

Hi, Allyson,

I planted mine in a raised bed, under trees that give light cover and placed some large (volley ball size) rocks among and around them to imitate the feeling of boundaries. They bloom well and seem happy but not the booming look that you see in the conservatory. I've never planted them straight in the ground.
Best,
Joanna

o
RE: Planting Clivia in a bed

Hi,

Cliva do well in the ground in Mediterannean climates. They were everywhere when I was growing up, especially along the coast of Southern California (not so much inland). Most of the world grows them as pot plants and they seem to do well when root bound. They don't need much fertilizer, when I did grow them some years ago (in pots) I seldom fed them.

In Texas, if you can keep the temperature from getting too cold they should grow like they do in Central Florida. I don't know how much cold they will take, some places say no frost at all and others indicate they'll survive a few hours at 26-27 F (some say even more).

In this part of the world they will need shade from hot sun (i.e., Texas sun), but they bloom without a lot of sun anyway. Also, they will need very good drainage. They can get by with a lot of drought when established, but they sure won't like being flooded or soggy--maybe a raised bed of sandy soil would work. One publication (see link below) from the University of Florida indicates they will grow pretty much anywhere in Florida if their conditions are met--so I guess they can take a bit of frost.

Their natural habitat seems to be dappled shade in a forest with fast-draining soil (some humus), and a winter dormant period (cold induced I think).

Cordially,

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs For Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here