Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natal Mahogany Tree

Posted by TakingRoot z7bGA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 17, 04 at 12:57

Has anyone heard of this tree? And does anyone have any "experience" in caring for it? Much needed advice as I have purchased a 7ft tree. All I know is that it likes alot of water and it will grow much taller than it already is. I have posted it on other forums but nobody seems to know much about it. It is from Natal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natal Mahogany Tree

This Trichella dregeans should be very easy to take care of with plenty of water & sun....Thad

o

• Posted by cjhin Gauteng ZA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 22, 04 at 2:11

Could also be Trichelia emetica. This is the Natal Red Mahogany. Will be frost sensitive while <2 m in height. Mature tree will not be able to handle severe frost/cold. Will need plenty of water since it often grows along water courses.

o

I've heard of it and have been trying to find one, but don't know too much about it.

Here's a link to some info I found.

The Bernecker's website has a little info on it, too.

May I ask, where did you find yours?

Here is a link that might be useful: Trichelia - Natal Mahogany

o

I love it. I have a 30+ foot tree, (6) trunks. It takes a lot of water. It is growing like mad toward the top of my atrium. It is from Africa. Fairly new to USA. Do a google search, using images. I bought it from a boutique nursery. I can go on for days about it. Keep it moist, I mist mine daily from top to bottom. I use Bamboo culms to maintain the trunks erect.

o
RE: Natal Mahogany Tree/us2

I just bought a natal mahogany 6 1/2 ft tall /5 trunks in a 14" diameter by 12" high container
should i put in bigger pot even if I do not need it to grow much?
Does always keeping it moist cause pest problems? or root rot? ...i heard aphids

o

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 6-7 ft tall natal mahogany for indoor use? I live in Oklahoma. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here