Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Cyrtanthus in z9

Posted by nigella_CA z9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 04 at 18:57

I was hurriedly introduced to Cyrtanthus at Costco yesterday, and came home with a bag of five bulbs. My new friends don't have a last name (mackenii? elatus? falcatus?) but the picture looks much like the elatus. Could anyone give me some hints on how to care for them in coastal northern CA? For example, can I pot them up and leave them out in our occasional frosts, and regular deluges of rain? Should I leave them to completely dry out in summer? Thank you,

Nigella_CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Cyrtanthus in z9

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 30, 04 at 21:11

I'd grow them as a container plant, keeping them out of heavy rains in winter, (most all come from subtropical or montane summer rainfall/winter drought habitats), and remember to give them lots of water and feed in summer when they are actively growing. Most will also do better if protected from frost, but don't generally mind out cool winters. I find that I don't do as well with the winter drought growers, as I fail to keep them out of heavy rains, don't have fast draining soils, and tend to underwater in summer. Having said that, I have killed several Cyrtanthus mackenii, but am doing okay with a Scilla natalensis as a container plant, and Nerine sarniensis does okay for me, but not as prolific as N. bowdenii.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here