Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Pollinating albuca spiralis?

rredbbeard
10 years ago

I understand that this is (hopefully!) self-fertile. Does anyone have personal experience attempting self pollution of this species?

As the raceme develops and each flower opens, I've been using a cat whisker to probe the flower and try to transfer pollen to the inside tepals, which allows subsequent transfer of the pollen to the pistil. It's an unusual 2-step process, and the whisker is useful because the surface is naturally 'clingy'. Wish me luck!

I'll try my hand at attaching pictures....

Thanks!

Rick in CT

Comments (4)

• Delonixregia (Vancouver, CAN Zone 8b)
    8 years ago

Hey Rick, probably too late to this thread, but better late than never.

I also attempted self fertilized my seed grown Albuca this summer. I simply exposed the anthers on one flower and repeatedly mashed and tapped it the an adjacent flower below it. It was a very crude attempt, but of the three flowers I tried this with, one produced seed. The seeds are almost paper thin and I had doubts about their viability, but sure enough I have 4 new seedlings growing from 5 planted seeds.

How did your experiment go?

Mike

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mike, I crossed my a.spiralis with a.namaquensis, and got 2 or 3 pods. When these got mature and dry, my cats tried to eat them while I was at work! It looked like only chaff was left, but I planted the chaff and was fortunate to get 1 good seedling, which is doing well. The seeds must vary a great deal in size, since I've planted a.spiralis seeds from ebay, which were relatively large, ~4mm wide. I've got a lot of small a.spiralus corms now!

--Rick in CT

• Delonixregia (Vancouver, CAN Zone 8b)
    8 years ago

Rick,

Thanks very much for the response. I actually stumbled upon this post while searching for info on some other S. African seeds I'm attempting to germinate. You wouldn't happen to have any experience with Daubenya sp., would you? I have seeds of both D. aurea and D. marginata (purchased from Silverhill Seeds), but have had no success germinating them thus far. Any tips? Any experience with "smoke paper"?

I'd love to try growing Haemanthus. (I wish I had something to trade with you). Were yours started from seed?

Cheers! Mike

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mike--unfortunately, I have had no experience with the daubenya/massonia species, but I read that these take 6+ weeks to germinate. I'm guessing that after warm, dry seed storage, that the planted seeds might respond to a cool/moist environment? If you haven't visited or joined the pacificbulbsociety.org, you might find this group a useful resource.

I have what appears to be a successful and prolific seed head of haemanthus albiflos developing, and weather permitting, you are welcome to some seeds when they ripen in a couple of months. I've been indulging an interest in south african species--gethyllis, lachenalia, stapeliads, etc., and some of the more exotic south american species, largely brazilian. If you click on my houzz profile page, click on 'activity', and you can send me a private message, or email me at

RRedBBeard@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Rick

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals