Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Devil's Claw

Posted by cranebill 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 12:44

Greetings,

I like to grow unusual plants ("plant oddities") and would like to try to grow Kalahari Devil's Claw (Harpagophytum procumbens). This would be a challenge in my temperate and summer humid U.S. climate, but it may be even more of a challenge to find a source for seed. Does anyone have supplier recommendations? Assuming I can get some seed, how might I go about germinating it? What kind of soil mixture would you recommend (besides "sandy")?

"Medicinal Plants of South Afrika" (by Ben-Erik Van Wyk et al.) describes Devil's Claw as a "weedy perennial", and I'd like to know if it gets very large or rangy. By the way, I thought it interesting that the picture of the flower in this book looks a lot like a tropical gloxinia.

Thanks,

cranebill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Devil's Claw

Dear Cranesbill,
I've seen it growing in heavy clay- clay-loam in Mexico. The 4'X4' sub-shrub I saw was beautiful. Very compact. Wish I would of kept the seeds on my journey north. I have a pic of the specimen.

Alberto1444

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here