Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miksits

Unseasonal Veltheimia

miksits
20 years ago

Can anyone offer advice about getting my mistreated Veltheimia to flower? The bulb (is it a proper bulb or a corm?) that I ordered from McClure and Zimmerman last fall arrived in great condition, very large, with fat roots and leaves already emerging. Unfortunately I delayed potting it up and its condition deteriorated. Then I apparently overwatered it: the leaves rotted away and the bulb itself seemed waterlogged. I removed it from the pot, let it dry for a couple of days, and replanted it, taking care not to overwater it again. The bulb firmed up and I think I managed to save it, but it has not grown any new leaves. There are two offsets attached to it that have kept their leaves throughout their ordeal, however.

I understand that Veltheimia should start into leaf in fall and flower in late winter to early spring, carrying its leaves throughout the summer, and that water should be withheld in late summer to induce dormancy. Given what my Veltheimia's been through I don't expect to see a flower this season. But what should I do if the bulb doesn't produce any leaves? It seems to be dormant right now. Should I water it and hope for new growth before next fall? Or should I treat it as dormant and keep it relatively dry until then?

Comments (2)

Sponsored