Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which watsonia is this?

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 13:27

A plant that I think is a watsonia has planted itself in my garden, out by the street next to the gutter (this happens a lot - seeds get washed down the gutter in the Winter, and the storm water sometimes floods that bed).

When I tried to look it up, all of the pictures of watsonias had different colored flowers, and were much fancier. This one is orange, with small tubular flowers, and large iris shaped leaves. It is growing all over our town - in vacant lots, beside the road, etc. There is one lot that is completely covered with hundreds of them. So, it seems to me it is some sort of common wild one? I am just trying to identify it. It spreads - I just noticed that the original clump is now three. I will take out two of them, but I do like the very early (blooming now in Feb) color, and the verticality.

Here is a picture of one that looks like it:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which watsonia is this?

The bloom shapes don't look like any of my Watsonia - perhaps it's Crocosmia.

o

Very probably Crocosmia - and is easily moved by running water. Particularly the corms. They happily grow in shingle on river banks.

The corms are like a string of beads in the ground and be quite hard to dig out as they can go down for at least six inches.

Watsonias tend to clump more and have bigger flowers. The leaves can reach 36" long. More likely to flower in spring. Crocosmia is more likely to flower in summer and autumn for us. (Currently flowering here - late Feb - and it's late summer.)

o

I found it! I was perusing a Van Bourgondien catalogue, and there was a picture of the plant I was trying to identify! I looked it up, and you are correct - it is a wild crocosmia called crocosmia mansonorum. It is really blooming right now - all over our town, in almost every vacant lot and next to the street everywhere, where I assume the bulbs were washed by water going down the gutters. This makes sense, as our climate is Mediterranean, which I assume is similar to its native climate in South Africa. Mine had already spread in that bed to two other places, so I dug them up and just left the original patch. I am sure next year there will be more of them! I like them because here they bloom in the very early Spring - mine started at the end of Feb, and continued through all of March and is still blooming now in the middle of April.

Jackie

o

Chasmanthe floribunda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here