Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeds1_gw

Species gladioli

deeds1
20 years ago

I have lots of baby glad species growing from seed.

There are approximately 5 seedlings in each deep 4" square pots and the compost is a 75/25 mix of standard seed sowing compost and sharp sand.

Here's my question, rather then pot these on individually during their first growing season, do I need to feed them, as there is so little nutrient in the basic compost. If I do what is the best thing to use?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• conroe_joe
    20 years ago

Hi,

I can't be certain what you are growing, there are so many different habitats for the various Gladiolus species. However, Richard Doutt (in the book "Cape Bulbs") quotes a gardener at Kirstenbosch garden in South Africa. The gardener reported that many Gladiolus species respond well to regular applications of liquid fertilizer. So, I guess you can fertilize them.

The trickiest part for me is getting seedling bulbs through their first dormancy. I don't actually let them go dormant. Instead, I bring them into the house and put them under lights if I have the room. I give them the same amount of light as for cactus seedlings. That means 4 bulbs, 4-foot long, over an area about 20 inches by 48 inches, 6-8 inches above established seedlings, 15-hour days.

Seedlings don't seem to demand the dormant period (for everything I've tried) and thus when they go dormant for the first time they are about 16-20 months old, and have lots of root and food reserves. Summer or winter, I've got bulb seedlings (and cactus seedlings, etc.) growing in their "off" season.

The main thing I worry about during their time under lights is that I don't overwater them, or that house temperatures don't get too warm. Room temperature seems to work.

Cordially,

• deeds1
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Joe,
    I have lots of species, G.tristis, caerulea, cardinalis, undulatus, bicolor (callianthus), alatus, maculatis, primulineus to name a few, and lots more added this year.

Most of these are from last year ans they are just beaking dormancy now. I have done nothing with them. When they went dormant in Autumn last year I left them in the greenhouse (unheated, but frost free)and witheld water, they are just starting to peep through the surface of the compost now, and I have started watering lightly, so I will now start adding a weak feed as well.

I don't have the facilities or space to grow under lights indoors, but seem to do OK - so far.

• conroe_joe
    20 years ago

Hi,

I looked around a little more and it seems that almost any glad does fine with fertilizers added on a regular basis. Some use manure in the soil mix, some use 1/10 strength liquid fertilizer at every watering. So, I guess any approach works.

DeeDs1, I looked over your seeds to trade. You sure grow a lot of plants.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm