Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Clivia

Posted by SoCal23 23/10 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 03 at 21:03

A new species of Clivia has been discovered which should be of great interest to us Californians, unlike the others it is from the Northern Cape, in a winter-rainfall region. Seeds will be available to the public in a few months (whether this includes international interests remains to be seen of course).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Clivia

Thank you for sharing this info with us, Ryan! As they say, "always something new out of Africa" ... I am a big Clivia admirer and have two plants (kept indoors during winter) which I grew from South African "seed" ... would love to grow some of these new ones when it becomes available. Delina

o

I wouldn't expect it too quickly to hit the market. I would love to get one too but I think the few plants that are in cultivation will be gobbled up by those best connected first. I would think that they should be available in about 2-3 years. They will more than likely be like C. nobilis and caulescens. Not a major commercial plant like miniata has become.
John Ingram

o

Could some one give me a good source to learn about Clavia's, please? I recently got one and want to learn hoe to care for it. Mine has gotten a flower that is in the center at the base of the plant. Does the stalk grow after the bloom?

o

• Posted by Elly1 zone 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 03 at 19:45

This is a good site!
good Clivia site
Elly

o

Try Clivia Creations or do a google search for David Conways Clivia in California. I used to have his address but it escapes me at the moment. There is also new place in the Boston area that has a very nice selection. I think it is called Blackstone Valley exotic plants or something. I can think of a few more, but not at the moment. Then there is always Stokes Tropicals. Good luck. Sebrina

o

Sorry, I realized after I posted that I was way off on what you were saying. I think John has a point that these will probably not be considered to be a high demand item for some time to come.

o

Oh! I was so excited there for a minute when I saw the good clivia site, but what I am looking for are clivia plants, not seed which is what they offer.

Does anyone know where I can buy healthy, strong, reasonably mature clivia plants? They aren't exactly available in any of our local nurseries. Thanks.

o

• Posted by Mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 30, 03 at 14:32

The below link carries at least one color of them but I should think there must be someone in your area as most nurseries around here carry at least the common types.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kartuz Nursery

o

Excellent, thank you Mikey, it's exactly what I wanted. I have yet to see Clivia anywhere in my corner of NETexas. Most people around here don't know what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here