Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_perth

Haemanthus coccineus, bulb

sheila_perth
21 years ago

Haemanthus coccineus, native to Zimbabwe. Common names, paintbrush lily, blood lily, catherine wheel and April Fool. Flowers in autumn.

Comments (7)

• safariofthemind
    21 years ago

Very nice. Just got three of these babies and can't wait to see them bloom. Thanks for the pic. RJ

• Modjadje
    21 years ago

Hi Sheila, thanks for posting that glorious picture.
    I don't think it grows in Zimbabwe, though, although another Haemanthus species, H. katherinae, does.

H. coccineus is found widely distributed in the winter-rainfall area of South Africa, in the Western Cape Province and north into Namibia, and east beyond Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province as far as the Keiskamma river valley.
    The Haemanthus species which does grow in Zimbabwe is H. katherinae which range includes the Eastern Province, Natal, Swaziland, the eastern Transvaal and Zimbabwe. It is one of the most handsome of the species and the most widely known because it was grown in Europe in the late 1800s, usually as a pot plant.
    H. katherinae is dormant in the winter, whereas H. coccinae is dormant during the summer.

RJ, I read on the web that they grow easily from seed ... you have now inspired me to also grow some, if they take I'll keep them potted. Happy growing! Delina

• sheila_perth
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi Delina, H. multiflorus ssp. Katherinae is now Scadoxus multiflorus ssp.Katherinae. I grow this too, will post a pic, as you say it is very handsome.

• Modjadje
    21 years ago

Hi Sheila, your garden must be breathtakingly beautiful and your climate very kind ... wish i could see it! Thanks for sharing the info, i was not aware, my book is pretty old. Delina
    P.S. I noticed on the Bulb forum that RJ is asking about Chilean bulbs ... where are the leucocorynes from?

• sheila_perth
    Original Author
    21 years ago

From Chile! I havn't looked in the bulb forum for so long, I'll go now.
    Leucocoryne are my favourite bulbs.

• safariofthemind
    21 years ago

Thanks you all. Appreciate it. I didn't want to post off topic stuff here. RJ

• beverley_higgins_yahoo_com_au
    13 years ago

l have a patch of the subject bulbs they are spectacular at the moment the flowers are almost all up and l love the huge lush leaves that come up after the flowers have died off l was told they are quite rare is this true? cheers bev

Sponsored