Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watrfall_gw

Proteas

Watrfall
21 years ago

Found this site a while back..I haven't ordered from them. You are not going to believe the prices..if you order from them may I have just one seed, PLEASE!!! LOL

Be well, Deborah

Here is a link that might be useful: Proteas

Comments (11)

• Modjadje
    21 years ago

Hallo Watrfall, I followed your link to Fijnbosch Farme (the Fine Bush People). Yes, i have ordered from them, and actually have some protea seeds still in their little envelopes. Having moved, I doubt that they would survive in my new climate. I will gladly send you a few, but you need to know that you will have to place them in a greenhouse over the winter in any zone colder than Zone 8.
    Any protea enthusiasts out there reading this post ... if you can grow proteas successfully in your gardening zone, send me a private email and let's see if we can work out a trade. Delina

• Modjadje
    21 years ago

watrfall, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it dawned on me that I cannot mail seeds to Canada ... new stricter regulations took effect a while back. I would need to obtain a phytosanitary certificate, and that is rather costly. So sorry! Delina

• flora
    21 years ago

It was the US which imposed restrictions on seed coming INTO the US, not going out of it. Canada does not have those restrictions, and does not require a phyto from the US or most other countries!

• fusca460
    21 years ago

Hey watrfall. Living South Africa I have a good connection for Protea seeds. I only have a phone number but the company is called Silverhill seeds. Very good prices.
    Phone number : (+27217624245)

• catalina_101
    21 years ago

Here's the URL for Silverhill seeds
    good luck!

• conroe_joe
    21 years ago

Hi,

I can recommend either place for seeds, they are both wonderful. If you are going after Protea I'd try the Fine Bush People. They sell the seeds singly. I did not order one (to answer your question), but I did order 11 seeds each of about 10 different species of plants. My total was about $11.00.

By far the most successful and the easiest one so far has been Protea exima, 100% germination. The ones I ordered all needed cool temperatures to germinate. I left them outside over the winter in 1/2 sun, right at the back door. I checked them every day for water and brought them inside for a day or two at a time when it was too rainy. I chose zone 8-hardy plants and left them outside when temperatures fell to 25 F--they loved it. I'm sure they would have been OK to 15 F.

Now the seedlings are 2-4 inches tall, depending upon species. I'll pot them on and see how they do with our Gulf Coast summer humidity.

Cordially,

• hmacdona1
    19 years ago

Hello,
    A friend who is originally from South Africa asked if I could try to grow Protea from seed for her. Does anyone know if there is a protea that will do well indoors in a large pot? We live in Calgary (zone 3) and obviously cannot grow it outside. Also, for any smaller varieties, any ideas on how long it takes before this plant goes into bloom?
    I'd appreciate any advice you can give on this. Thanks...Heather

• Jesus_
    19 years ago

I have some king protea im going to start the germination process for in the next day or so. Dont have experience with the two previously mentioned websites. But I got a pack of 10 seeds + smoke primer for $6 at seedrack.com.

• snowspassion
    19 years ago

I just ordered from Seedrack and Silverhill in S.Africa. I haven't grown Protea before but heard if you can grow avocados, you can grow Protea.

• chuck1260
    19 years ago

I have ordered from both Silverhill and FineBush and they are excellent, very responsive and fast.

• IanBryant
    18 years ago

Has anyone tried to grow Proteas in Central Florida? I bought seeds in Madeira, where they grow well but now have no idea what to do with them. I have Protea Eximia, Grandiceps, Repens and Cynaroides. If you can help in any way it would be great.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting