Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
temecula_gw

Can you tell me about Galtonia and Tritonia?

Temecula
21 years ago

I've posted in several forums trying without much success to find out about these two bulbs. I would like to know if they are easy in my climate (long, HOT summers, mild winters, but some stretches with temps. below freezing, light frosts). I would like to know if they make good cut flowers and I have heard that galtonia is scented - is that true? Some of the other bulbs that I can leave in the ground and do well for me are ranunculus, freesia, gladiolus, dutch iris, babiana, and watsonia. I don't know if these are all South African, but it may give you an idea of what is successful in my climate. Oh, I have tons of agapanthus as well. Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• sheila_perth
    21 years ago

They should both grow very well for you. I can't remember if Galtonia is scented or not. I never use my bulbs as cut flowers (except for Freesia which grow like weeds here) So I can't answer that question.
    Just about all the SA bulbs should grow for you.

• Floral_Artistry
    21 years ago

I don't have any info on the Galtonia. But the Tritonia should do wonderfully for you. If you plant them where they will be drier during summer dormancy it would be better.
    Mine have already started putting out flower spikes.

• safariofthemind
    21 years ago

Galtonia viridiflora did really well for me last year. No pests, loves heat and can take our humidity. A trooper. Looks like a hyacynth, but bigger. RJ

• susi_so_calif
    21 years ago

These both do very well in Encinitas.

• wanda
    21 years ago

I've had Galtonia candicans for several years. I haven't noticed any scent, but it must be full of nectar. The hummingbirds love it! It should do fine for you. It comes up reliably for me every summer and seeds like crazy.

wanda

• Temecula
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Well, I stupidly waited to order and I'm having trouble finding them. I do not know any good sources, do you? Btw, Brent and Becky's (really, the only source I know) is sold out!

• bahia
    21 years ago

Maybe one of your larger local retail nurseries could special order this from Suncrest Nurseries, Inc here in northern California. They grow both Galtonia candicans and Tritonia crocata and T. hyalina, as 1 gallon containers, not bulbs.

• brianmclean
    20 years ago

Galtonia candicans (white) and G. viridiflora (green) like a hot summer and reasonable drainage, but otherwise they're not fussy. They come at just the right time for me, in mid-summer, when the rest of the garden is looking jaded. I suppose you could give them some manure or liquid feed in the spring if you were feeling generous. They are easy to grow from seed. Make holes in the bottom of a plastic icecream container, fill with any potting soil you have around, water well and place the thing in a plastic shopping bag to keep it damp till the seeds germinate. Once that's happened, take the bag off and don't overwater. Once or twice a week should be enough. The youngsters can go out in the summer, but they will have to be kept out of the frost for the first year or two. They die back in mid to late summer. They usually flower in the third or fourth year, after which they get better and better, like daffodils. Young plants created by division of the bulb aren't frost sensitive. There is a third species, whgich I got seed of, but they didn't come up, so I can't say any more. Let us know how you get on!

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus