Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cyrtanthus

Posted by Floral_Artistry z10 L.A., CA (jjingram@adelphia.net) on
Tue, Mar 18, 03 at 11:29

I have tried other lists and I never get any responses. Is there anyone out there growing any Cyrtanthus other than the vallota (C. elatus)?
I have a few species that I would like to talk about but no one talks to me about them. I know others have them as I have seen their photos.
One of my C. falcatus bloomed several weeks ago and I am hoping that the obliquus and other spp. will follow suit very soon.
I have a HUGE amount of mackenii x brachy. type hybrids that are quite prolific and have reseeded themselves in nearby pots. What a lovely thing. Anyone out there growing any? I would love to hear from you.
John Ingram

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cyrtanthus

Hi John,

I do have several of the C.mackenii hybrids, as well as a bright yellow species, probably C.flanaganii, and C.sanguineus. I love them, they make wonderful garden plants, and, I could imagine, wonderful pot plants, too!
There are many more very desirable species of Cyrthanthus, I just haven't got around to search for them yet.
C.falcatus is beautiful, that one is on my wish list, too!

Maddy

o

I was growing these for a number of years in pots, with great results. Mine had burnt orange colored flowers, and were the one flower that no one could identify. Alas, I have since lost them to a cold wet summer, and am looking to replace them.

On a happier note, there are other South African bulbs that I can and do grow - it just seems that no one here is interested in talking about any of them

Joe 'you never know' DeRosa

o

I have some mackenii in a pot in addition to 3 cultivars of elatus. RJ

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 13, 04 at 1:43

I don't usually do as well with the evergreen South African summer rainfall area bulbs, at least I don't seem to have the proper watering regimen down to keep Cyrtanthus mackenii alive for more than a year. The same way that I don't seem to be quite in tune with Nerine sarniensis as compared to Nerine bowdenii, which is rediculously easy. I have a Scilla natalensis in a pot, which grows and blooms but does not increase in size or quantity. I suspect they need slightly dryer winters and more watering and fertilizing in summer than they get from me. I wish I had the luxury of Cyrtanthus reseeding itself around in the garden, only Lapeirousia laxa does than in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here