Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I have some clivia tips?

Posted by haneedes z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 05 at 15:53

This is a pic of a 2 year old clivia grown from seed. I over watered it more than once and for various reasons, I keep losing leaves. I think its stablized now.

i put it in a smaller pot and the root system is doing great now. i started feeding it with houseplant food once a week.

i also moved it to a sunny windowsill, its being shaded by a larger plant.

any tips to get my plant to thrive?

here is a pic
http://www.haneedesigns.net/clivia.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I have some clivia tips?

In my limited experience, my clivia seem pretty hardy (zone 10). Even in shadier spots, we have had a lot of rain this year and my variegated one and several others just put out a spectacular bloom.

I think it's best to let their soil dry out a little before watering, especially when they are not in flower. Many S. African plants flower during winter rains and need little or no water in the hot summer months. While clivia don't go dormant, keep summer water to moderate amounts.

Mine are outdoors and tolerate sun, but the leave tips have burned in high heat. In the summer I would put it out somewhere where it gets some morning sun and fresh air.

They aren't super fast growers, so that may not be the best measure of their thriving.

o

• Posted by SoCal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 31, 05 at 16:05

All but one species of Clivia are native to wooded areas (dappled to full shade) in the Eastern Cape where rainfall is concentrated in the summer. The one species that is native to a winter rainfall region is not available in the nursery trade yet.

o

Clivias are NOT hardy below 35F! Other than that they will come back from considerable abuse. They prefer damp, but not soggy Summers and 6-8 weeks of nearly drought conditions in early Winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here