Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hypoestes aristata- ribbon bush

Posted by annafl z10a FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 18:17

I'm in Florida and just purchased three of these bushes. I'm concerned about our heat and humidity and how they'll do. Tag said full sun/part shade, but they were a bit wilted in the sun. How do you grow these? The tag also says it flowers fall and winter, but this one is starting to flower now. I'm confused about where to plant it and how long it flowers. Please help!

Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hypoestes aristata- ribbon bush

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 31, 07 at 22:49

I'm not sure it acts the same in your Florida conditions as it does here in California. It comes from the subtropical summer rainfall areas of South Africa, but probably mostly occurs at higher elevations in the mountains where the heat and humidity is not as extreme as it is in Florida. Here in California it typically does start blooming in fall with shorter day length, and will continue into spring in southern California, but typically stops blooming with onset of colder weather in late December here in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is very prone to growing long floppy stems, and benefits from being tip pinched to promote bushiness several times after it finishes blooming. Of you could plant lower growing shrubs around it to help support the stems if you prefer to let it get tall. It is also very easy to start from new cuttings, and is a somewhat short lived perennial shrub in my opinion, that is best replaced with new ones after 3 to 4 years of growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here