Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_perth

Scadoxus multiflorus ssp. Katherinae

sheila_perth
21 years ago

Formerly included with Haemanthus this is now seperated because of the different growth habit of the plants. These grow easily from seed and grow in a shaded area of my garden.

Comments (9)

• safariofthemind
    21 years ago

Gorgeous. Are you growing this one in the pic? The photo looks professional...RJ

• sheila_perth
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Yes I have quite a few of these. I only post my own pics.
    Thankyou for the compliment!

• jungle_cottage
    20 years ago

Wow what a gorgeous colour.The pic is super.I have quite a few in my garden here in Asia,at first I thought they were planted by an avid collector,pre my days here,but have since learnt with astonishment that there is an Asian species.Still dont believe it.

My ones back home became infested with black and white stripped caterpillars that ate into the leaves and thrived in pockets in the leaf itself.I think it was the so called Amarylis caterpillar.They bounced back though and I was pleased to note that the caterpillars never went down further than the neck of the bulb,quite astonishing realy considering how juicy and fragile the bulb is.
    J-C

• maddy_RSA
    20 years ago

I love this Scadoxus, thanks for posting the picture, Sheila! Although it looks rather like S.multiflorus ssp. multiflorus to me. When doe sit flower for you, spring and first half of the summer, or later?

You are lucky J-C that yours survived the Amaryllis caterpillars, usually these guys go right down into the bulbs. We had a particularly bad caterpillar season last year, and every single plant of the Amaryllidaceae of mine was under attack, even the Clivias and Cyrtanthus! Have to keep a close eye on them now for not to repeat the disaster this year.

Maddy, Gauteng

• jungle_cottage
    20 years ago

The caterpillar attack all started in the Crinums bulbis' so I began squashing them still embeded in the leaf every morning,but the tiniest ones are very hard to spot so ultimately I had to remove the leaves and roast,pity because the leaves were looking so wonderfull,meter lengh waves of ocean green.The Scadoxus were next ,pity I never got to see the adult moth/butterfly responsible.Is it indigenous,any-one?
    J-C

• maddy_RSA
    20 years ago

I think the amaryllis caterpillar, Brithys pancratii, originated in Europe. However, with insects I am not at all sure, they seem to be pretty universal some of them.
    Might have seen the moth - it looks like any other moth to me!
    Checking all the Amaryllidaceae regularly is essential - but there comes a stage when one has too many plants and this exercise becomes extremely time consuming!

Maddy

Here is a link that might be useful: Brithys pancratii

• carol23_gw
    20 years ago

I have grown Katherinae from seed but it has never flowered. I repotted it, fertilized and it has two large stalks about 2 feet tall, each with 8-9 leaves, but still no flowers!
    I had another seedling that was smaller, gave it to a friend and that plant has bloomed for 3 years now.
    What promotes flowering?

• sheila_perth
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I've just seen your post Maddy.
    Yes S.multiflorus ssp Katherineae does look like s. multiflorus, (I grow both) but is bigger and much much taller.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scadoxus multiflorus ssp K

• Laetoli_Lady
    20 years ago

Hi! I'm actually not a gardener at all, but I'd love it if anyone could send me any pictures of the red lily the Masai people of Kenya refer to as "Laetoli". I'm aware that the species is scadoxus multiflorus but could anyone help me with subspecies, varieties etc? Thanx!

Sponsored