Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help a plant care novice

Posted by amutchler 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 19:17

Hi,
I just recently got a Sun Star for my birthday and I'm woefully unprepared to care for it properly. The instructions said to keep the soil uniformly moist and that as an indoor plant it needs bright light (but can't tolerate frost). I've been watering it every day (not too much water but just so the top soil feels moist to the touch) and leaving it right on my window sil. It gets lots of morning light and some general indirect light through the day. After a week, though, the tips of the leaves are burning and some of the flower heads are withering. If some one could simplify the instructions or give me any tips on what to do I'd really appreciate it. This is the first plant that has been solely in my care and I really want it to thrive.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help a plant care novice

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 30, 06 at 3:11

I'm sorry I missed this thread until now. The genus name for the plant is Ornithogalum, most likely a hybrid between O. dubium and some of the other South African species. Their native habitat is winter wet/ summer dry so they like cool, frost-free conditions with plenty of water while in growth and bloom and a dry summer dormancy.

Ryan

o
RE: Please help a plant care novice

I need help with my sun star that I got a month ago. My plant has these wierd white and blacks 'bugs' or eggs every where, and they don't move they just multiply. Also the bug things are not on my other plant, the lilly of the valley, which is right next to it. Please hlep me get rid of theses things.

Joana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here