Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprout_wi

Clerodendrum ugandense - 'Blue Wings'

sprout_wi
21 years ago

Would anyone be able to tell me how or where I can acquire seeds for Clerodendrum ugandense "Blue Wings"? Thanks !!

-Sprout

Comments (12)

• bahia
    21 years ago

If this is actually a selected cultivar of the regular C. ugandense, then it probably will not come true from seed. I'm not familiar with this selection, but the plants(straight C. ugandense) themselves are fairly available in warmer climate areas such as Florida and California, and should be available from mailorder nurseries such as Kartuz Greenhouses in Vista, or Glasshouse Works.

A few people here in the San Francisco Bay Area are growing this in areas that regularly get killing frosts, where it has survived 22F and returned from the roots, with mulching. However, the winter lows of this magnitude are of rather short duration, and the hot summer weather in places like Danville, Ca. help harden it off so that it can act as a herbaceous perennial. It is much safer to grow this in frost free areas,(it is evergreen for me here in Berkeley, Ca. where we typically only get light frosts, if at all). It does flower best with full sun and summer heat, being somewhat shy to bloom in the fog belt coastal areas here, and tends to drop all its leaves in winter if it hovers in the high 30'sF.

• Garrickza
    21 years ago

Not sure where you will be able to obtain seed but try Silverhills , probably your best bet.
    bahia there is an little article which is quite interesting about the Blue - flowered tinderwood (Clerodendrum myricoides) (also called blue cat's whiskers) , which is sometimes confused with C. ugandense. The article is on the Random Harvest Nursery website , click on Newsletter and then Plant Choices of the Issue - link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Random Harvest Nursery

• ladymoon
    20 years ago

I've found plants on Ebay. One online nursery had plants, but min order was $20. Good luck, I've grown this before, but it didn't survive our winter here in central OK. Trying again, it is very beautiful and worth the effort.

• conroe_joe
    20 years ago

Hi,

Here, near Houston, the plants do well. They take a surprising amount of cold and spring back the next year. They seem to enjoy the humid heat. One report in our Texas Garden Forum claims they are root hardy in North Texas, zone 7/8.

On Galveston Island, where there is seldom frost, the plants get tremendous, at least 12 feet tall. There seem to be a number of selected forms, some taller, some shorter, some more blue, etc.

It is a very easy plant to root from green wood, even in water as long as you change it nearly every day.

One other note, I don't fertilize mine; someone reported to me that fertilizer stimulated the plant to grow and grow, but flowering was much delayed.

Cordially,

• botanierra
    20 years ago

I happened to buy two of these shrubs at a tropical plant sale just about 2-3 wks ago. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the one awesome bloom on one of the shrubs. These are the most excellent shades of blue: the "wings" are azure and the "tail" is a deep, almost cobalt shade. Breath-taking. I had never seen or heard of one before, and to have some.

Getting them home, I had thought from examining them that they would be relatively easy to propagate. (Lots of nubbies on the wood and green wood at the tops of non-blooming branches.) So I will be trying that fairly soon. Want to trade for a few, if I am successful?

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Botanierra- That would be GREAT !! Please let me know (I sent you an e-mail)
    -Sprout (Linda)

• conroe_joe
    20 years ago

Hi,

Just a note here to say I rooted my plants in a glass of water, it took about 3 weeks and I changed the water daily. They indeed do seem easy to root.

Cordially,

• patsy_b
    20 years ago

I am in the northern part of zone 8 and have one that has come back from the roots for the past 2 years.
    Patsy

• brainbadger
    20 years ago

I have had a blue wing for almost three years and it survived a flood. It went dormant and i thought i had lost it but the next year it popped right back up.

• katran
    19 years ago

HI IM FROM ZONE 5 THE QUAD CITYS , I BOUGHT MY PLANT OFF E BAY,LAST WINTER HIS HOME WAS MY BASMENT, WITH ALL MY OTHER PLANT BABYS, HE GREW TO ALMOST 7 FT AND HE WAS SO AWSOME!!
    THIS WAS MY FIRST STOP WITH EVERYONE IN MY YARD. MOST HAD NEVER SEEN ONE ! IT LOOKED LIKE COUDS OF BLUE BUTTERFLYS DANCENG IN ON THE LEAVES WHEN THERE IS JUST A TINY BREEZE!
    I JUST BROUGHT HIM IN 2 WEEKS AGO , I TOOK 20 STEM CUTTINGS FROM HIM BEFOR I CUT HIM BACK TO 2 FT
    AND HE ALREADY HAS MANY NEW BUDS,AND MY NEW BABYS ARE LOOKING GOOD! I DIDNT HAVE LUCK GROWING THE SEEDS .BUT YOU MAY, ONCE AGINE YOU COULD TRY EBAY FOR SEEDS .
    I ONLY PD 14.00 FOR MY PLANT .HAPPY GROWING !

• plants4chris
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried growing this as a housplant? I love it but it's not going to survive the winters here from what I'm reading.

Thanks,
    Chris

• bubba62
    16 years ago

I've had it return from the roots in spring (along with C. speciosissimum), but the plants never attain the height of potted specimens. Wintering them over in large pots is fairly easy; in late fall I remove the leaves, cut back the tips of the branches, and bring the pots into my unheated garage. I reduce watering to almost nil; just enough to keep the soil from becoming bone dry. The plant goes into suspended animation until early spring, when I step up the watering a bit. After our last frost I roll it outside, give it water and food, and it takes off again. I use the same treatment for tibouchina, bougainvillea, and other woody tropicals.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone