Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cussonia spicata

Posted by Andy_SA South Australia (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 03 at 21:44

I've just acquired a small cussonia that I want to train as a bonsai. I've posted a message on the bonsai forum; can anyone tell me anything about this tree and growing it in a container? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cussonia spicata

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 03 at 1:56

I grow mine as a regular garden plant, and it is monstrously fast to reach 10 feet in height in just several years time. I suppose it could be treated as a bonsai, but the growth habit and character don't lend themselves to such training in my view. As the mature leaves are at least 18 inches across in addition to the 18 inch long stems, it will be a rather large bonsai...

o

Hi Andy,

Yes, Cussonia spicata makes a great bonsai! I have two of them. I am not really a bonsai person (scared to prune liottle delicate trees!) - but I treat them just like my succulents, in a well draining mix. The one has a single tuberous root, partially exposed, is in a 20 cm bowl and grows approximately 2 cm of stem a year, with cute leaves max. 18 cm across. The other has multiple tubers and 4 stems, is in a 30cm bowl (couldn't fit the roots into anything smaller) and is growing a little bit faster. Not sure yet if and how I should cut it back next spring.
They look good. Expose the tubers gradually and protect from direct sun when newly exposed.

I also grow a C.paniculata in a 1 m planter, as a feature plant. This one does grow at the speed and size any respectable Cabbage tree is supposed to! :-)

Good luck, you are going to like your bonsai!
maddy

o

• Posted by Andy_SA South Australia (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 03 at 17:39

Thanks for the info, guys. It's interesting what you said about multiple trunks, Maddy, as I noticed some buds on top of the tuber.
Thanks again.

o
Pruning cussonia spicata

My cussonia has grown very well over the past 10 years and has two trunks. It however outgrew the space I have for it in height and I have to consider to prune the tree to be lower and preferably grow more trunks. It is possible to prune the tree without killing it and how do I do it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here