Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

What S. African Plants are blooming for you?

bahia
20 years ago

Seems rather quiet around here lately...

A few of the more interesting plants blooming in the garden at present include the vivid purple Senecio glasstifolius which has both interesting foliage and masses of flowers in April/May, with a tendency to need fellow lower plants to lean on, it gets so heavy with bloom. Ursinia anthemifolia is another brilliant bloomer at the moment, although this one can remain blooming all year long here in milder coastal gardens, with deep orange flowers. Gnidia polystachya is just going out of bloom for me, after two previous waves of pale yellow flowers since last October, and is a soft delicate heathery foliaged shrub for full sun to light shade. Leucospermum hybrid 'Tango' is going into a second wave of bloom as well, with deep orange flowers. Polygala x dalmasiana never stops blooming here in northern California, and is great for the deep purple flowers. Psoralea pinnata is also blooming heavily, with delicously fragrant pale blue and white pea shaped flowers and soft foliage on a wispy shrub that looks somewhat like a pine tree when not in bloom.

The bulbs I have blooming at present include Tritoniopsis caffra with its evergreen foliage and brilliant red flowers, and blooms over a 3 month period for me every spring. Schizostylis coccinea is also blooming again, as well as Hesperantha buchrii, with pale pink flowers. Babiana is also blooming just now, as is Sparaxis bulbiferum, which is just finishing up. Freesia laxa and F. cruenta are just getting started blooming as well, and manage to seed themselves in any bare spot around the garden. Watsonias of all types are in full bloom in the neighborhood, in a range of colors, and seem to bloom well here every year without the need for fires to trigger them. Tulbaghia violacea and Agapanthus praecox are also in full bloom here, as is the vigorous towering spikes of Wachendorfia thyrsiflora, with deep yellow flowers on spikes up to 9 feet tall.

The only Aloe in my garden in bloom at present is Aloe saponaria, both the coral and yellow forms. A shade shrub just starting bloom is the soft lavender Mackaya bella, along with Plectranthus zuluensis, also a soft lavender and almost never out of bloom here. The dwarfer and more drought tolerant Plectranthus neochilus is also blooming, with deep purple mint like flower spikes and a great low groundcover for both sun and shade.

What is blooming in your garden?

Comments (14)

• susi_so_calif
    20 years ago

Bahia - wow, your garden sounds great, and you've got some things I've never seen. Already killed the Pslorlea (have to get another) and lost the Gnidia - which I first saw blooming in S.F. in September.

Where to start? I live in Encinitas, about 30 miles north of San Diego, close to the coast in zone 24.

BULBS:
    My babiana are already done, ditto for the homeria, freesias, ixia, lachenalia, sparaxis, and chasmanthe. Lots of watsonias blooming now in all colors, also Tulbhagia violacea and its sweet-smelling cousin, T. fragrans in both white and violet. Cyrtanthus brachyscyphus blooms here from March for about 4 months or longer.

Groundcovers:
    Osteospermum variegata 'Dandenonus White', Pelargonium
    reniforme and P. sidoides all bloom almost non-stop here.

SHRUBS, TREES:
    In bloom now: Melianthus comosus, Schotia brachypetala, Athanasia agerosa, Phygelius (these bloom virtually non-stop). Also Polygala x dalmasiana, Leucospermum cordifolium 'Flame Giant', Gomphostigma virgatum, Athanasia
    trifurcata, Euryops virgineus 'Golden Wheel', Mackaya bella.

PERENNIALS:
    A variety of cultivars of Arctotis are in bloom now, also some of the Kniphofias, Salvia africana-lutea, Scabiosa africana, Scabiosa 'Giant Blue', Leonotis leonurus, Pelargonium cordifolium.

SUCCULENTS:
    Blooming now: Bulbine frutescens 'Hallmark', Bulbine alooides, Lampranthus piquetbergensis and L. deltoides (just starting), a number of Aloes.

Anybody want to trade???????

Cheers~
    Susi

• Annie_Hayes
    20 years ago

Hi Bahia,
    Here's my blooming-now list in no particular order:
    Gorteria diffusa
    Nemesia cheiranthus
    Salvia africana-caerulea
    Psoralea pinnata
    Venidium fastuosum
    Aristeas
    Lobelia vallida and sp.
    Phylica pubescens
    Lobostemon fruticosus
    Hymenolepsis parviflora
    Felicia echinata
    Senecio glastifolia & elegans
    Heliophila longifolia
    Hebensteitias
    Gazania krebsiana
    Linum africanum
    Ursinias
    Wahlenbergias ( love them!)
    Zaluzianskya capensis & villosa

Annie

• Modjadje
    20 years ago

wow, i sure envy you guys the climate you live in ... here in southwestern Oregon it is still raining, and still cold enough that the Watsonias have no scapes yet, one lone first little bloom is on the Homeria today, two little lost blooms on the Sparaxis ... and more rain coming the day after tomorrow ... today, at least, it's sunny! i actually took my sweater off outside, and puttered around in a tank top. So, from my corner, answer is "very little is blooming!" Delina

• conroe_joe
    20 years ago

Hi,

The showiest plants blooming around Houston area are the "Milk and Wine" crinums (C. x herbertii). Other hybrids and species will join in soon.

I've benefited from communicating with several of the folks on this forum and hope to have Cyrtanthus brachyscyphus blooming this summer, as well as hybrid bulbs that represent a cross between C. brachyscyphus and C. mackenii.

Aloe saponaria is still in bloom in some yards, it is a wonderful and durable plant hearabouts. It seems to ignore the wet spells, the dry spells, the heat, the cold and the humidity. A buddy told me it can survive (but not be too happy) all the way north to Dallas area (7b/8a).

If you can get to the link below, there is a nice photo of Aloe saponaria taken in late March in Houston. I think you'll be able to see it without having to log in or be a member of that particular gardening forum.

Cordially,

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe saponaria

• socal23
    20 years ago

Anisodontea (won't stop blooming until it goes into forced dormancy this summer), Homeria, Watsonia, and assorted pelargoniums. That's pretty much it until my dietes divisions get going.

• resmith
    20 years ago

Near the tail end of the winter-rainfall bulbous plants now flowering here are
    Geissorhiza radians
    Lachenalia bachmannii
    Lachenalia gillettii
    Lachenalia fistulosa
    Gladiolus citrinus
    Gladiolus floribundus
    Gladiolus carneus
    various Romuleas
    Babianas and Watsonias are still to come.
    Some of the earlier summer-rainfall area bulbs flowering are
    Rhodohypoxis baurii
    Drimia robusta
    various Albucas
    Scadoxus puniceus;
    and the inevitable Osteospermum.

• Daniel_Ashley
    20 years ago

Currently, in my inland Bay Area Garden:
    Aloe Striatula
    Watsonia
    Dietes
    Bulbine
    Aristia (thanks annies annuals!)
    homeria
    species pelargonium
    Chasmanthe didn't bloom (too bad, it was a mild winter, the frost ruined the bloom last year).
    Ursinias (thanks annies annuals!)

• Marvins
    20 years ago

Anyone growin everlasting daisies?....Marvin

• neptunespetal
    20 years ago

Daniel :)

Hi. Just wanted to ask you what the bloom season is for your aloe striatula? I recently purchased 2 and the growers site says fall/winter blooms yet the plants have blooms on them now that are finishing... Got any info on that? I am in the inland Bay Area as well, that's why I ask you ;) ...

• maddy_RSA
    20 years ago

The flowering time for A.striatula is around mid-summer.

• conroe_joe
    20 years ago

Hi,

It is late-June and Crinum x Bradely is flowering up a storm, Ellen Bosanquet is just starting. The other day a garden friend had a huge Crinum jagus in bloom (native to Africa but maybe not South Africa). The C. jagus was the swamp type, it made an enormous plant growing in 8 inches of water, with large flowers.

C. bulbispermum is putting out a late spike.

Cordially,

• Sowth Efrikan
    20 years ago

Good old gazanias are going wild.

• Modjadje
    20 years ago

Crocosmia (or Montbretia, not dead sure which I have) is sending up dainty little scapes which are starting to show color.
    Phygelius (common name Cape Fuchsia) is still blooming, true to its nature of blooming from summer into fall. Mine is P. aequalis, the dusty rose one with a little bit of yellow in the throat. Its shiny little green leaves stand up well to the heat.
    It has been very hot here for several weeks now, and I water all my container grown plants daily.
    In another month or so the Amaryllis belladonna will probably come to life ... always something magical about those scapes coming from the leafless bulbs. Then, when Fall is truly here, I can look forward to the Nerines blooming. Delina

• conroe_joe
    20 years ago

Hi,

Not a lot blooming here that is from South Africa. However, one plant is a constant performer on an irregular schedule. Kniphofia rooperi bloomed in December, and January, and July and is putting up another spike now.

It has been 100 degrees lately, and the plant is apparently quite happy in a regular flower bed with water every 5-7 days. By contrast the daylilies are looking pretty ragged.

It is less than 2 years in the ground and seems intent on becoming a giant mound 2 or 3 feet tall by 5 or 6 feet across, I guess I'll have to trim soon--maybe divide it. It was evergreen last winter, temperatures reach as low as 25-26 F even while it was blooming.

It does not set seed, so I presume it is self-sterile. Does anyone know if plants in this genus tend to be self-sterile?

Cordially,

Sponsored