Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watsonia--yellowing, browning leaves normal?

Posted by yogafemme CA z9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 04 at 1:03

Hi. I have three watsonia that have done great so far this spring, but now I'm noticing that some of the leaves of all the plants are turning yellow at the edges and browning at the tips. Is this normal for this plant, or am I overwatering? underwatering? Also, for how long do they typically bloom? Thanks!

-patricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watsonia--yellowing, browning leaves normal?

Many bulbs' foliage eventually dies each year. It's normal.

Watsonia are both deciduous and evergreen, depending on the species. In addition, again depending on the species, they flower from spring to early fall. So in order to answer your question with any authority, it is necessary to know the species. That having been said, here is a little information re Watsonias.

Are they in pots or in the ground? If in pots, the pots must be at least 12" deep to accommodate the bulbs' roots.

If they are deciduous and early flowering, the timing would be about right for the foliage to begin dying back. In all other cases it would seem to me to be too early.

Watsonia in general survive better in drier conditions, so make sure the soil is really quick-draining. If you've been watering them a lot, it would be a good idea to stop and let the soil dry out some.

Spring-flowering ones need moisture during winter and spring and dry summers. Summer-flowering ones need to be watered during the summer. Evergreen species require water throughout the year.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: watsonia--yellowing, browning leaves normal?

thanks! It does help. I'm pretty sure that the ones that I have are the spring flowering one (beatricis) because it's got the narrower leaves, so it makes sense that it would be dropping leaves now. Also, my soil is slightly clay, so while I have amended someone to lighten it, I'll probably need to ease back on the watering. -patricia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here